Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1509

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1509
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

The next day seemed to drag, I did chores or amused the children in between feeding them. Caroline phoned while I was out–I’d forgotten all about her since this business with Simon. Now what did I do? We’d sent off the CRB form, but they take ages to clear. What could I tell her–except to get a decent haircut and some new clothes. I asked Julie to go and see her and gave her a couple of hundred quid to get her a new outfit or two. Julie’s eyes widened into saucers at this opportunity for some fun–I did warn her to keep things normal–so none of her outlandish ideas. Caroline was to be a nanny cum housekeeper, not a disco dancer. She went off to call Caroline and set up a date.

Eventually, James called–he’d found Simon, who was not best pleased to be chaperoned. He pointed out the risks of dealing with ‘these ruffians’–a phrase which had me snorting. Personally, I thought they were total cads, or the vernacular equivalent, which isn’t usable in a children’s story–and it goes without saying that none of them had parents who were married.

The girls were in bed and Danny was sitting reading a football magazine when he asked where Simon was?

“How should I know?” I lied back to him.

“Because you would.”

“How d’you know that?”

“Because I do. You went to stop him killing himself, didn’t you?”

“Where did you hear that?” I was going to blister whoever had told him.

“I overheard you talking with Auntie Stella. He was at Beachy Head, wasn’t he? People only go there for one reason.”

“To admire the view?”

“Yeah, on the way down.”

“What are you implying?”

“I just told ya, you went to stop him jumping over the cliff.”

“Can you prove it?”

“I dunno, look, I’m not goin’ to tell anyone, am I?”

“I hope not.”

“He’s my dad, and you’re my mum–I won’t do anythin’ to hurt you ever, I owe you both too much.”

“You owe neither of us anything. We adopted you because we wanted to, because we wanted you. We are both so proud that you decided to come to us as our son.”

He came over to me and hugged me, and I pulled him down to sit on my lap and I held him. “I love you, Mum,” he said and buried his face in my shoulder. He was sniffing, and I suspect, trying not to cry.

“I love you too, son, now are you going to tell me what the problem is?”

“I don’t want Dad to die,” he said then burst into tears.

“What gave you that idea?”

He sobbed for a couple of minutes and was inarticulate, eventually he got himself under control and he told me that he was worried that Simon had gone off to kill himself.

“He isn’t going to do that–he’s trying to clear his name.”

“But the bad guys are in like, America.”

“I had noticed. That’s where Daddy is, trying to meet with them.”

“But they could shoot him or get someone else to.”

“Yes, I know, which is why I asked James to go and act as his minder.”

“James the commando bloke?”

“The very same.”

“Thank you, Mummy, I was so worried.”

“That’s okay, now I think it’s bedtime, don’t you?”

“Okay,” he got off my lap and pecked me on the cheek. “Mummy?”

“Yes, darling.”

“Can I have the old Jaguar when I’m old enough?”

“Oh–I can’t honestly say one way or another. To start with we might have to sell it to help pay off Daddy’s case.”

“Gosh, a billion is a thousand million–is that what that car is worth?”

“No, of course not. It’s only half a billion, and in someways I’m glad they use the American billion these days.”

“Why?”

“Because originally a billion was a million million, but it seems some of the colonials couldn’t count that far.”

“Wow–that’s like loads more, isn’t it?”

“Just a bit.”

He went off to bed and I checked on him half an hour later. He was fast asleep with a book open but face down on his chest. I looked at the title, it was Caroline Cossey’s autobiography. Why was he reading that, and when did he take it? I checked the others and they were fast asleep.

Catherine was restless, so I fed her which relaxed me as well. Cossey might have been a Bond girl with Roger Moore as 007, but she can’t breast feed as far as I know. Why do we always get catty when we think someone is more beautiful than we are? I could never model anything, but then she can’t act–oops, there I go again–miaow.

I sorted the baby and went downstairs to lock-up. Tom was in bed, as were the other adults. I looked in on Julie when I went to bed and she was asleep, her little flat screen TV still on, albeit very quietly. I switched it off.

After cleaning my teeth, I got into bed and felt the absence of my partner and bedmate. I hoped he was alright, assuming that no news was good news. I fell asleep eventually, putting out the light after I’d read some of my book–a whodunit by Donna Leon.

I was vaguely aware that someone had got into bed with me, I assumed in my somnolent state that it was Simon, however, when I woke the next day Trish was tucked into my back. I lay there and watched her for a while before an eyelid fluttered and she opened it and looked at me. I’m not sure that she actually saw anything, because it closed again and she seemed to resume sleeping, then a few minutes later it opened for the second time and then so did the other eye. She seemed disoriented for a moment. I smiled at her and she beamed back and then yawned and stretched.

“To what do I attribute this honour, young lady?”

“I went for a wee in the night and thought you might be lonely.”

“I see, and was I?”

“I didn’t ask, you were snoring.”

“Snoring? I don’t snore–do I?”

“Not as loud as Daddy does, he sounds like tractor.”

“Are you teasing me?” I checked.

“No, honestly, Mummy–you was snorin’.”

“Okay, so were you?”

Meeee?

“Yep, that’s why I was awake before you?”

“But I can’t snore, Mummy, I’m just a little kid.”

“You sounded more like a piglet than a baby goat.”

“Uggh, that’s like, horrible.”

“This little piggy went to market...” I tickled her and she squealed. “See, I told you you were more like a piglet than a goat.” She laughed and ran off to the bathroom to wee.

While she was gone I checked my mobile, a text from Simon: ‘Easy peasy, Ive appt with bank 2moro.’

I sent one back: ‘Be careful–the kids r v worried 4 u. I luv u. Cxxx’

My phone peeped, I picked it up expecting a response from my most recent text, instead it was one from James. ‘so fa so gud, S made contact–meet 2moro–will keep eyes wide open. J.’

I sent him one back: ‘Ty, do keep him safe. C.’

Trish emerged from the bathroom and another day in paradise began...

DSCF0384.jpg

Vote, comment, send money or answer to me - Da Bonz.

up
255 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Miaow!

Well, Bonzi asked for it ;)

Martina

Da Bonz

Looks just like the cat I had as child called him Whiskey. He was black except for a few white hairs on his chest, Died aged 7 after fighting and killing a badger, unfortunately died from wounds. That happened 60 years ago and I still miss him.
Keep up the good work. Hope Simon sort out the problem, with the rogue bank.
poppykin

Even after 1509 Bikesodes

EAFOAB is still the highlight of my evening/night/morning - depending upon when you deign to post.

And I still don't trust that Bonz - he has a shifty look. While Cathy probably still has a bow and arrows, I wouldn't be surprised if Bonzi has access to a violin case a la Al Capone.

S.

Thank you Angha,

ALISON

'but there is no need for the rest of you to get catty!

ALISON

Simon is kinda an upper class twit

... isn't he?

While I believe in open communication, these things should be done in a neutral location so no funny business can happen. Hope he does that. FWIW, he still has a lot to do to finally grow up. I wonder how much is the truth that Simon only does what Henry tells him to do? How will he be able to take over from Henry if he can't do it on his own?

Kim

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1509

Send Da Bonz t see after Simon. Who'd dare cross him?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Voted and commented haven't sent money

hope it will keep da Bonz off my case.

Loved Trish's reaction to Cathy telling her that she snores, “But I can’t snore, Mummy, I’m just a little kid.”

Just seems to typical of a kid to say something like that.

In the midst of the Simon adventure, I get a smile from Trish.

Hey, can't she hack into some gangster or foreign dictator's off shore acct and refresh the bank for the half billion? Gadafi would be a good candidate since he's unlikely to come looking for the money.

Bonzi is a fine looking

Bonzi is a fine looking fellow. He seems to be very serious about his responsibilities.
Actually, he looks a lot like a black panther.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

sort him out

My tom called Tigger will have to come over from oz to sort DA BONZ out if this keeps up . :)

HUGS Roo

ROO

Some little kids that I have

Some little kids that I have heard snoring were worst than a lot of adults that I have also heard. Bonzi looks ready for his day "Halloween", when black cats rule.

Unfortunately there are evil

Unfortunately there are evil people who do terrible things to black cats around Halloween. All owners need to keep their kitties safely indoors for the season (better yet, all year around).

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Kudos for the cat!

What the cat says, is law.

Every cat owner knows that.

is a good story too!

Poor Cathy

Stuck so many miles away from Simon, Hopefully he won't get injured, Because as far as i am aware there is no such thing as remote Blue light...

Kirri

PS to Da Bonz

I've done two out of the three ..... is that good enough ? :)

If ya put it dat way...

If ya put it dat way, praps I'd best scribble sometin down heres for yous. Frall I knows, yous might be good friends wit Guido Savaducci. I'd not wan no visits from hims or his palzies.

Thanks for an interesting story. Fascinating chats with the kids. Nice that James is keeping such close tabs on Si. :-)

Anne

Wow!

Angharad's picture

A hundred kudos, plus double figures in comments. Obviously, the Bonz, made a difference.

Angharad

Angharad

Loved the comment about the 'Billion'

Yeah when I learned about numbers a Billion was always a million million. The prefix 'Bi' alliterated to the TWO millions. Then a trillion became a million million million and a quadrillion became 10 to the 24th. Quintillion = 10 to 30th and so on.

Thus the simple alliteration compared neatly with the enumeration. The prefix alluded to the powers of six!!! wich means multiples of a million!!

Sadly, a bunch of illiterate, innumerate, egotistical americans had to massage their own egos and completely fuck up the logic of the system by alluding to billions as soon as their eonomy arrived at the modest value of a thousand million.

In astronomical terms, a thousand million has always been chicken feed! Now sadly, a thousand million means bugger all in economics either.

Ask any yank what 10 to the 48th is and he won't be able to tell you without checking with a pencil. In the original system it was quite simply an octillion.

Yanks never use a short word when a long one will do.

Look how they use the word 'migrate' when they mean 'transfer' in computer instructions. If something migrates that means it returns after a season, if it's transferred it STAYS there!

My god the yanks still haven't worked out metric yet!

PS.

On another note, I see Bonzi's getting some grey hairs on his chest, it that stress?

Love and hugs.

Beverly.

OXOXOX

Growing Old Disgracefully

bev_1.jpg

You're a Beautiful Cat, Bonzi!

I didn't realize what a beauty you are! Thank Ang for me for posting your picture, please.

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

x

Yours from the Great White North,

Jenny Grier (Mrs.)

So,

You have to wonder what is going to happen next...

and will Cathy have to get violent.