Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1423

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1423
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

Once everyone was up and breakfasted and the major chores started–stripping beds, doing the laundry, cleaning the house and so on–it was pretty well lunchtime. I admit I had bribed the kids, I promised to take them over to the hotel for them to use the swimming pool and maybe an ice cream afterwards.

I had Trish stripping beds, Livvie putting the dirty washing into the machine, Danny was hanging it on the line, and Meems was vacuuming anything that stayed still any length of time–we had to move Stella twice. Stella was really getting into breastfeeding and even Puddin’ got a top up now and again when she felt she had so much milk.

I fed Catherine once or twice a day, but she was eating solids most of the time, and developing teeth or razor sharp gums and a bite like a badger. My nipples frequently felt like someone had pulverised them, hence the fact that I often only fed her once a day. I did try to explain the cause and effect rule–bite me and go without–but she doesn’t appear to be much interested in basic logic–bit like Si.

Lunch came and went and I made them help me clear up which took another half an hour, so by the time we got to the pool, it would be at least an hour since they ate, and it wasn’t a big lunch–just the usual bread and water–they have gruel on Sundays if they’re good. I decided I’d swim with them–well at least be in the pool to try and minimise the risk of one of them drowning. Stella stayed home and agreed to keep an eye on Catherine.

I can’t remember the last time I actually swam–it’s not my favourite form of exercise probably because I’m not too good at it. We drove up to the hotel and after parking the car, we moved through to the leisure part of it, getting nods of recognition from the more senior staff.

Danny went off to the boy’s changing area and the rest of us went off to the girl’s. Billie was a little anxious but the costume I’d bought her had a frill which helped to disguise any little bulges, besides which, the coolness of the water would also shrink things up somewhat.

We girls trouped through to the pool and the kids eased their way into the water, oohing and aahing as the water reached up their bodies. I remember doing it when I was a kid and the others called me a girl then, they just jumped in and splashed me.

I had one eye on the girls who by now were splashing about in the water and the other on the entrance way wondering where Danny was. Usually boys take about ten seconds to change and are waiting for us not the other way round.

I called the girls to the side and told them to watch out for each other for a few moments because I was going to find out where Danny was. I walked back to the changing rooms and called his name outside the male changing room. There was no response. My heart flipped.

Just then a swimmer came up and was obviously going to change back. “Problems, luv?” he asked.

“My son came in here to change twenty minutes ago and I haven’t seen him since.”

“He’s probably in the pool already.”

“Would you mind looking for me?” I asked him.

“Yeah, course I will, what’s his name?”

“Danny,” I felt quite anxious.

The man went in to the changing room and few moments later came rushing out–I’ve found him, he doesn’t look too special.”

I followed him into the room and he pointed to Danny lying in a heap in a cubicle with a head wound, he was unconscious. “I’ll get help,” he said and rushed off.

I felt for vitals–he was breathing and had a pulse, but he also had a nasty wound on the top of his head. Could he have slipped and brained himself? We might never know, because he may well have no memory of it when he does wake up.

I knelt down beside him and talked with him–it’s a well known fact that unconscious people can sometimes hear what people are saying to them and hopefully my voice would be special to him.

“Hello son, it’s me Cathy, your mum. Help is on its way, so just relax and know that I’m here to look after you and we’ve sent for the experts so we can get you checked out. Just look for the blue light which I’m sending to you in bucket loads.”

I could feel the energy concentrating about his head and I hoped he hadn’t sustained any brain injuries. The male bather returned with a manager whose face fell once she saw who was involved and I’m sure she swore under her breath.

“Lady Cameron, what on earth has happened?”

“You tell me, we girls went to change and waited for him to come and when he didn’t I came to find where he was. This kind gentleman went and found him and has since summoned help.” I nodded to the man and thanked him. He went on to his cubicle to change.

“What d’you think has happened?” asked the young manager.

“I have no idea, he might have slipped and bashed his head or someone might have hit him–except I’d hoped this place was beyond that.”

“Indeed we are, Lady Cameron, I’ll launch an investigation as soon as we get him off to hospital.” With that sirens were heard and a few minutes later two paramedics appeared. They did the vitals bit and a blood pressure and ECG.

“Right old son, we need to get you on the stretcher, this might be a bit uncomfortable, but bear with us.” He nodded to his companion and said, “On three, one two three.” They lifted the boy as if he were a feather and placed one of those neck brace things on him and connected him up to oxygen.

“You his mum?”

“Yes, but I’ve got my girls in the pool, can I sort them out and come on to A&E afterwards?”

“Yeah sure, what’s his name?”

“Danny Maiden.”

“Right, Mrs Maiden, we’ll see you there.”

“I thought your name was Cameron?” said a bemused manager.

“Mine is, his is Maiden,” I said coldly.

“Fine–have you got his stuff?”

She handed me the key which was lying on the floor next to where he’d been. I opened the locker and took his clothing out–his little wallet and his mobile weren’t there and I know he’d brought them. I mentioned this and we both went through his belongings again. The manager agreed they weren’t there. It now began to look as if robbery might explain his injuries.

She disappeared and came back with a bag into which she placed all his belongings. I thanked her and went to find the girls. When I explained that Danny had had an accident, there were groans of dismay. I wasn’t sure if this was because they were worried for their brother or because I was making them leave the pool.

I changed and dressed and then helped Meems while the others sorted themselves. “Wiwl Danny be all-wight?” she asked me.

“I hope so, Meems, but he had a nasty gash in his head.”

“Could you see his brains?” asked Trish in a very matter of fact way.

“No I couldn’t and I’ll thank you to be a bit less gruesome. This is your brother we’re talking about.”

“I’m trying to see him with a gash on his bonce so I can send him healing.”

“Okay, is everyone ready–let’s get to the hospital.” Once in the car and prior to starting it, I called Simon who offered to come as quickly as he could to the hospital. I drove on once again. If I spend any more time here, they’re likely to designate a parking bay for me.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

One day...

...Cathy should ask Henry if the bank owns any other hotels within easy reach of Portsmouth. That one at Southsea seems to be cursed!

Hopefully this time, the police will get their act together and triangulate where Danny's phone is (and hopefully, by extension, his attacker). In a way, it's good that he hasn't been completely healed yet and the full extent of the wound is still visible, as that will give the medics / police chance to assess what he was hit with. As the hotel's upmarket, there's also the possibility of CCTV surrounding the building and possibly within selected locations within it.

Needless to say, if it turns out the attacker used a weapon, a few P45s will be issued at the hotel in due course.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Good point!

She could check if Henry's got a pool as well, or other recreation area. That Hotel really does seem to be a place where things go wrong more often than they do elsewhere.

Wonder what the outcome of this one will be... Quite a number of possibilities! And, it'll likely be some twist I've not thought of! LOL

Thanks,
Anne

Twist I haven't thought of...

Angharad's picture

me neither!

If they'd found flowers lying about, would it have been robbery with violets?

Angharad

Angharad

We can rely on Ang

... to try to petal her papers.

Kim

Call NOTW!

They'll find the phone faster than you can say 'hack'!

* * *

There are plenty of people in this world who think they are wits. They are half right.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Could be robbery or ...

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

Something a bit more sinister.

I'm sure we'll find out all in good time. meanwhile, let's hope he's not been mentally (or physically for that matter,) impaired by his injuries.
Good to see things ending on another (Who-dunnit?) note.

Still lovin' it Angies.

Love and hugs,
Beverly.

OXOXOX

bev_1.jpg

Cathy is always complaining about the cost of parking at

the hospitals. Maybe she is on to something and she can get a lifetime free hospital parking pass?

Holly

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

Forget about a free parking pass

She should have her own ambulance on call and a valet for her only when she arrives to park her car.

Kim

Henry could make a donation

Henry could make a donation to the hospital to build a new parking structure. It would, of course, contain a few reserved spaces for the family.

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Does Cathy have the clout to

get the police to hurry with the cell phone location? Let's hope so. Sure sounds suspicious to me.

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1423

Is it a simple robbery, or a part of a more sinister plan?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Maybe the hotel

(like the rest of the UK it seems !)has some form of CCTV in operation, Hopefully something like that would make the job of catching the thief easier , Another thing that crossed my mind was. Danny has had more than one run in with other boys recently, Could it be one of them just happened to be passing through ? As always Angharad, Intriguing writing...

Kirri

With the aggressive blue light

I suspect the person who hurt Danny has bitten off more than he can chew. Cathy knows the meaning of restraint, but Trish?