Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1479

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 1479
by Angharad

Copyright © 2011 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

I was so enthused by watching the cycle racing that I persuaded Tom and Jenny to babysit while I went out for half an hour’s ride–the problem was if they saw me they’d want to come and I wanted a half hour’s work out. Somehow, I managed to slip away and into the bike shed, where I had to pump the tyres of the Specialized up to the minimum 100psi. Then a quick flurry and I was out on the road and away.

Despite the stiff breeze I was in a state of virtual bliss, and was soon trundling along at a steady fifteen miles per hour. I did manage to find a bit of hill to climb and was half way up it when I realised how unfit I was. At the top my legs were burning and my chest felt tight as I gulped in the air and puffed and panted.

It struck me as wasted life compared to someone like Nicole Cooke’s who at twenty six was Olympic champion, had been world champion road racer, had won everything including junior world titles at road racing, mountain biking and time trialling. Me? I won a gonk in a raffle when I was a kid.

I sped back to the house, having managed about ten miles according to the computer–and that looked as if the battery needed replacement. Apart from being hot and sweaty, stiff legged, sore kneed, stiff necked and tender wristed–I felt great, and managed to re-store the bike and get in without anyone noticing.

Actually, they had so I had to deal with a long list of grumbles and complaints which I resolved by offering to take them all out with me tomorrow–early. Danny decided he still had potatoes to lift but the girls were all up for it–which was why I found myself eating breakfast at seven thirty on a Sunday morning, surrounded by an excited posse of girls–just what I needed.

They finally calmed down enough to eat some cereal, toast and a banana. I managed the toast and banana with two mugs of tea. After clearing this up, we went over to the bike shed and I checked tyre pressures and brakes–this took a further half an hour–so it was nearer nine by the time we actually set off along the bike path.

I don’t think Bonzini has anything to fear from my lot–racing cyclists they are not–with the possible exception of Billie who does seem to have a bit of an idea of what’s involved. She was in the lead most of the way as I sat back with the rest–Livvie and Trish having some convoluted argument about time and space differentials–I think. I must stop them watching Dr Who.

I had some braising steak defrosting for dinner, which I could whack in a casserole and leave in the slow oven of the Aga–which would then leave me free to watch the men’s race, which was on the red button from nine to about four. Sadly, I couldn’t stop for that length of time watching a bike race, but I was certainly going to watch bits, especially the last hour or so.

Back from our ride, it was now ten and the World’s had been on the telly for an hour–get rid of the kids and get the casserole on. I sent them all out to help Simon and Danny in the garden–I nearly locked the doors, but then they’d only ring the battery in the doorbell flat.

I made up a flour and herbs mixture and after trimming the meat rubbed it into the said mix, then fried it with onions and garlic to seal the meat–so this only takes a few minutes–I then took it out and shoved it in the casserole which I filled with a stock, carrots, celeriac, a tin of chopped tomatoes and some mushrooms. Then to get it going I popped it in the microwave to warm it up to simmer then shoved it in the slow oven.

I was rushing to clear up and dropped the remainder of the flour mix which took me ten minutes to clean up, I tried to slow down but was getting more irritated with myself, and rinsing stuff off prior to putting them in the dishwasher, dropped a favourite mug and broke it. If this was an omen for the bike race and Team GB, it wasn’t a good one.

By eleven, I’d finished in the kitchen and was humping a large basket of clean laundry into the lounge, where I set up the ironing board and got the iron and a supply of fresh water to steam iron things. Finally, I switched on the telly and eventually found the bike racing. There was a breakaway group of seven already and I’d only just switched on. Chris Froome and Steve Cummings were leading the Team GB train, which in turn was leading the peloton.

I nearly ironed my hand once, I certainly burnt my fingers a few times–it’s easy to forget that cotton which has just been steam pressed is actually hot–so interesting was the race.

I had to stop at lunch time–I’d actually done all the ironing–to feed the brood. I did scrambled eggs on toast using up half a tray of eggs in the process while Livvie made and buttered the toast. I’d informed them that dinner would be an evening meal because I wanted to watch the world championships. Then Simon accused me of deliberately obscuring the fact that Scotland were playing rugby in the world cup that morning.

We had quite a shouting match because I’d genuinely forgotten–I wasn’t that interested anyway–Wales play more interesting rugby than Scotland–besides they lost to Argentina–who Wales beat in a warm up game–see what I mean.

After clearing up from this meal–I went back to the telly to find Trish watching some film on Sky. I nearly strangled her–it was a wind up–she wasn’t watching it at all, she just bargained for chocolate to go away and give me control of the remote again.

I flopped in the easy chair with a cuppa and discovered there were now two breakaway groups and Team GB were still plugging away with the same train in the peloton much to Hugh Porter’s discomfort, while Chris Boardman made comments or corrected Porter’s mistakes about who was where.

It was so absorbing–it really was–that I closed my eyes–just for a moment–okay, it was half an hour. It was now nearly three o’clock and all hell was breaking loose and I had no idea what was what, except Team GB were still trundling along at the front of the peloton with a couple of Germans helping them and now a lone Yank.

Hugh Porter repeated how they were sticking to their plan despite all that was going on and I began to wonder if he might be right. I made some more tea to wake myself up and offered cups to the other adults and Simon. By the time I got back some sneaky Italians had formed another breakaway–I’d lost count how many there were now–ah this lot were caught–but the first lot and second lot had merged so we had a breakaway of about a dozen, including practically everyone but the British, Germans and USA. I’m sure my blood pressure was higher than when I’d been out on the bike.

Boardman and Porter played a game of spot Cavendish–‘he’s up with the rest of Team GB, no he’s further back with Geraint–his lead out man. Essentially, team GB kept ramping up the pace as we got ever closer to the final lap and they were catching up to the breakaways each time one formed. Brad Wiggins, he who broke his collar bone in the TdF, steamed away like an express train for what seemed like hours, taking the pace of the peloton to speeds from which it was hard to mount attacks or set up a train for sprinters–they had their own to line up–in one Mark Cavendish–the Manx Missile.

As they approached the finish, it became almost a free for all. The Aussies nearly got away, but Stannard was strong enough to bring the Brits back to the front, then as the sprint trains went off–Geraint Thomas lost Cavendish, who’d got himself blocked. Thomas slowed down to try and pick him up again but Cav had other ideas and just as it looked as if he’d missed the boat, the familiar figure emerged up the right hand side accelerating like he was on a motorbike, zooming past Goss and Greipel to take the win.

I was bouncing up and down, shouting and crying at the same time–we’d won it, Cavendish was the new world champion–we’d done it.

“What’s happened?” asked Simon and for a moment I couldn’t say anything except blubber. “We lost again, did we?” I shook my head vigorously, no. “So why are you crying?”

“We won, Cav won it,” I said blubbing some more.

“Women,” said Simon and walked out just as they showed a rerun of the finish from the helicopter and he missed it again. What a finish.

220px-Jersey_rainbow_svg.png

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 1479

Poor Simon, can't get to watch his teams, it seems.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Darn

littlerocksilver's picture

Can't see it in this part of the US. I'm sure that the far right blocked it.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

The Championships Have Been on Universal Sports in the US

For those that want to see more, there's a rebroadcast of today's race on the Universal Sports cable channel at 10:30 PM (CDT) tonight.

http://www.universalsports.com/

Edit: I only became aware of Universal Sports a couple of months ago. They have been providing US coverage of a number of the European bike races. The downside is that they only broadcast in standard definition (no HD - at least with my cable provider).

Thanks - Nice Long Segment

The finish is at 6:25. Suggest starting about 5:40 to catch the build up and the final sprint.
The overhead view replay starts at 7:52.

Relief!

No, not that the Cavendish won, but...

Each time Cathy went out on the bike I was in fear that a certain homophobic old lady was going to drive into her or one of the brood.

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Reminds me of the old Sooper Bowl days.

Yes, the sports enthusiasts would be breaking down the couch, spilling drinks, and wolfing down Pizza as I stood in the Kitchen and laughed at them.

Sorry, I don't have the sports gene, but I love watching happy people watching sports. LOL

Lady Gwendolyn

aussi

Me being an Aussi i was hoping Goss would do it for the land down under ,At least were good at winning at cricket, i like the way Trish get's her chocolate ,I must try that myself sometime.

Hugs Roo

ROO

Who's the Daddy!

Maddy Bell's picture

I'm sure he's been reading Gaby!

That Brailsford chap has been studying under Dave for team tactics!

Some of Gaby's exploits might seem a little implausible at times but Sunday we saw such complete control of a race by one team - we have NEVER seen its like in cycling before!

I write fiction but September 25th 2011 will be remembered as the day road racing changed for ever.

But we shouldn't forget we won the girls road race gold with Lucy Garner (aka Gaby Bond!) and four other medals too making us the best team overall in the championships too.(wipes a tear from her eye)me? happy? not many!

Today we'll start getting loads of wannabees buying bikes too!

 
 

Maddy_bell_Image1_0.jpg    

Maddy Bell
http://maddybell.com


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

I don't know...

>> It struck me as wasted life compared to someone like Nicole Cooke’s who at twenty six was Olympic champion, had been world champion road racer, had won everything including junior world titles at road racing, mountain biking and time trialling. Me? I won a gonk in a raffle when I was a kid. <<

Seems to me Cathy's "won" quite a bit. Though, if she insists on judging her accomplishments in comparison to a world class cycler - and undervaluing what she HAS done, she'll continue to think like the above.

Thanks for the peddle by peddle description of the end of the race.

Anne

Hey, Mr Porter.

Don't knock Hugh Porter, he has a few World Championships to his credit too and dominated the professional track pursuit in the 70s. Incidentally he's married to Anita Lonsbrough who is an Olympic gold medal winning swimmer. He's just a young lad too - I just checked and he's all of 15 days younger than I am :)

I'm glad Ang resisted the temptation to have poor Cathy attacked by a homophobic retired school ma'am and her incontinent poodle. The real-life excitement is quite enough for this episode.

Robi

At least Cav didn't fall off his bike

I dunno; get a sport we're good at and it gets very little coverage in the media. 'Spose it's par for the course; those knuckle-dragging neandethals who chase a spheroid around a field for an hour and a half are grossly over-rated - and over-paid.

But that's just an opinion.

Well done team GB, though.

Ang including the race in EAFOAB? Who'd have thunk it.

S.

Stiil trying to figure out

just how Cav managed to win that race... Not that i am complaining , Far from i think a world title is the least our super sprinter deserves,And you just have to love the way he was so quick to thank his team mates, Cav more than anyone knows without their efforts , He would not today be feeling and being on top of the world...

Kirri

Well,

There is one sporting event that turns Ang... Cathy on.