Sweet Dreams-19..So Snow White; Are you going to order the apple? Part 3

Printer-friendly version

Sweet Dreams-19..So Snow White; Are you going to order the apple? Part 3

Chapter 19 part 3

I guess if it hadn’t been such a special thing I might have been a lot more embarrassed than I was. But as we were dancing there was this little ripple of smiles and looks of isn’t that romantic that are buzzing through some of the other patrons and two other couples get up and start dancing too.

It was a very cool moment, probably one of the coolest moments in my life. When the song ended Alex looks over at the couple that let him set his I-phone down on their table and says. “Thank you.”

The guy shakes his hand in that way that you see guys do that are really showing respect to each other? I never could quite get that the way they’re doing it. But it’s like you can feel the respect for each other there like a tangible guy kind of thing.

He say’s. “Our pleasure I’m Bill this is Stacy.” Then it’s my turn and Stacy and I sort of do the little light girl shake of hands but we do that girl hug even if they just me kind of thing. She whisper’s in my ear. “He’s a good one, hang on to him.”

I whisper back. “Yeah, I will. Alex is better than he knows really.”

“They always are honey.”

We head back to our table and I look at the twins first because well they’re staring at me and at Alex and there’s this WTF…I can’t believe it thing written all over their faces their jaws sort of hanging open. I slip past them and softly say to them.

“You two must have had a good time in Italy but you really should watch yourselves, it’s a little…uhm obvious that your mouths are used to that shape.” I smile, bat my lashes and smooth my dress under me as Alex seats me.

I take a long slow sip of my water and smile at them all as Adam signals for the next course to be brought. You can see the light bulb go off in their heads at what I just said well implied. I take another sip before speaking up saying. “I’m sorry everyone, I didn’t mean to hold everyone up.”

April says as she’s sitting down. “It’s nothing Hunter we both had the use the ladies room.”

Deborah is staring at me and she looks angry. I stare right back at her and then ignore her like she’s not there and ask Alex. “So honey how are you coming along with The sound and the Fury, I noticed you started that a couple of days ago.”

He and I start talking about Faulkner and April jumps in as well as Anna the young girlfriend of Mr. Scanta and even Mr. Panichi himself getting involved. As we all start talking about all these classic authors. Alex is taking advanced English and me, well libraries are cheap and I didn’t own anything at home really so I read, I read a lot. Beside like a lot of the bums and homeless it was safe and it was warm and it was cheap to free.

There wasn’t a lot of difference between me and them. The thing is, some of those homeless people regardless of their problems that got them there…A lot of them were really smart people.

Alex looks surprised at April and the amount of stuff that she knows. I can’t help but smile when she says.

“I’ve always been impressed at how good the academic department is at your school Alex; we were just given state minimum syllabus fluff when I was in high school. I never really read a book that actually seemed to say something until my second year at Penn.”

Even Adam get’s the stick out of his butt and starts to join in the conversation talking well actually asking about the university and her time there like it was a new topic for them and it kind of gets into a topic about books and schools and education and stuff that I can actually follow. And even their college days and what we and Alex might very well expect.

It almost starts to be…a good time?

And it has the great bonus of leaving Deborah and the two Panichi twins and more than likely the others not involved in the big conversation completely lost and kind of left to scramble and make up their own conversation to compete with ours…about clothes.

April and I share this kind of a look and a smile at some of their conversation and yeah I like talking about clothes and all that but really? Really?

Huh? I guess this is what it feels like to sit at the big kids table then?

Oh and now that things seemed to be chilling out the food. There was this few dishes of things before the main I ordered the bruchetta which I kind of knew what it was with the toasted bread and the tomatoes and stuff but we all started to share with each other when I offer some of mine to Alex and April offered me some of hers and then it started this whole sharing thing and even the bitches chilled and got into this whole family style if eating. The wines went from bottles to house wines in these really cool pitcher, decanter things and there’s no carding but it’s not about getting bombed.

It was a totally new experience for me to go from people having wine as their meal to wine with the meal. I don’t drink much but I try all of it and even the twins seem to let stuff go as they talk about Italy and the food they had in Naples? And what this stuff is like.

It turns out I like fish more than I though I would, or rather Sea scallops are rather tasty but very rich, and shrimp are okay too but I really liked Aprils fried calamari even after I found out they were squid and that out of these little starters my favorite was actually Alex’s this Caprese salad thing with these really good tomatoes and basil leaves and the best bit of cheese I’ve ever had.

We even all do the communal girls all heading to the ladies room before the main course arrive and use the facilities and then touch up our make up and I don’t say anything but April quietly points out for the ladies to use… “That stall.” In a voice that says do it in a very queen bitch kind of way. I get some stares from them for a few minute when they come out after they seen what I did.

There’s me staring at them and them staring at me and they actually say “Sorry Hunter…” pretty sheepishly and very nervously sort of touch up they’re make up. I take a few minutes fixing my hair and then let out a long sigh.

“It’s okay; it was just some stupid bullshit kind of hazing thing right? Rattle the new girl?”

I know it’s more than that, they know it’s more than that but I really don’t need the enemies, I don’t need the drama and just letting it slide after they’ve gotten a taste of things with them feeling out of the loop squares things. I know, the conversation at the table wasn’t as deliberate as what they were doing but like the saying goes…an eye for an eye eventually leaves everyone blind.

Mina which is one of the twins look at me and she almost doesn’t get it. But her sister Nina nods. “Yeah…I mean we just were joking and we’re sorry it went too far and got like y’know all un-funny and stuff.”

“Hey, it’s cool let’s just pretend the whole thing never happened and just be good with each other. Too many girls get too caught up in the whole mean girl thing. Let’s just have fun for the rest of tonight and leave the dick measuring stuff to the guys okay?”

“Okay!” they both smile and giggle. They’re mother and Anna are smiling and April gives me a hug.

“Proud of you.” She whispers in my ear…and having someone say that to me just…I get this big lump in my throat and I’m getting watery eyed and have to fan at my eyes with my hand. As soon as April moves though I’m being hugged by the rest of the girls/women.

We all leave and are smiling and talking and stuff as we get back to our table and the guys stand for us and help us with our chairs. I notice and so do the other girls that Deborah didn’t join us. She stayed out here with the men and she has this look of being majorly unhappy and she’s quiet barely talking to anyone including her husband Mr. Zane. He’s looking really uncomfortable and I notice he doesn’t look at Alex at all really or Adam either. He’s sitting with her like a guy might from back home who got his ass schooled and she’s not happy because of that and because it’s pretty apparent that she thought she was the shit but just had that reality check tonight that told her hey bitch you ain’t.

I fucking Love karma sometimes.

The main course comes and it’s a bit of the same thing with the other food. The guys get these really nicely cooked but really big hunks of steaks for the most part and chicken seems to be the thing for us girls. I ordered the lamb chops and I’m impressed by the plate and so not at the same time.

It looks beautiful and everything but well…lamb chops are really kind of small say compared to like a pork chop and they only give you like three of them and the plate I ordered was like somewhere close to thirty five dollars.

Yeah yikes! I know families that don’t and can’t spend that much on food for an entire week. Worse even, it turns out I think I don’t like lamb. I’ve never had it before and it tastes funny, or it does to me. I liked the brocolini? That came with it and the potatoes…they were okay. There was just too much gunk added to something that’s just fine just simply done.

Adam has the same look on his face too. We kind of have this moment of staring at each other only he’s not looking at me like he’s going to get me but more like I’m a puzzle he doesn’t get. I reach over and take his plate and slide his potatoes onto my plate and then set my plate in front of Alex who looks at me and him then shrugs and tucks into them like a seventeen year old guy usually would.

I say to Adam. “Bring on dessert?”

He smiles and it’s just like Alex’s, that I’m only going to let so much out kind of smile, not even quite a half a smile but just this really good one third of one.

“You and Alex have the same smile.”

Wow, the look of …constrained shock on Adam’s face was well kind of shocking to me too. He honestly looks at a loss of what to say and even think from me saying that. Alex stopped eating at the boys are staring at each other like too surprised dogs that are studying each other.

I laugh just because of that image but turn to Alex. “That’s not a bad thing Alex, I love your smile.” Then I wipe his lips off from his food with the napkin and give him a kiss. I hear April and see out of the corner of my eye her leaning over and kissing Adam too but saying. “I agree, it’s a very nice smile, and it’s something I just don’t see enough.”

There’s just a little bit of that and the guys look actually embarrassed not so much by the whole PDA thing but the whole PDA in front of each other thing. We do cut it out so as not to make the others too uncomfortable.

The guys are saved by dessert.

Again it turns into this sharing thing and the cakes and stuff are good and Alex has this sticky toffee pudding thing that I didn’t really like but April and I killed her chocolate moose…no mousse. And Adam gave us both half of his Tira Misu?

I’m not sure what I like better. I Love chocolate, good chocolate too not like the discount bars I’m used to getting from back home. But I love coffee; coffee and I have been close friends for a long, long time.

Him sharing his dessert with me and April get’s him another short but on the lips kiss from her and another one and this…

Alex gives him this nod and not quite a smile but a really short nod of approval after Adam motions for the waiter who was bringing Bill and Stacy their chique and waved the off and told them to have a good night. He was taking care of their bill for them. It might have been just for appearances sake but it might not have too.

The rest of the night is kind of a blur of just talking and travel and the twins have mellowed out enough that we’re all just having a real conversation and dropping people off except for the Zane’s.

Aubrey and Deborah seemed to want to take a cab home from the restaurant. She was in a hurry to go I think as she stormed out of the place after getting her things from the coat check.

Things seem to have settled down even once we’re all dropped off at home. Alex and I both hug April and she looks stunned, floored when Alex hugged her. It was a small one and a peck on a cheek and I think he thanked her. Mine was bigger for her and I look at her. “Coffee tomorrow?” she’s trying really hard not to dry and she’s starting to fail as I give her another hug and say. “Thank you…God thank you so much April, you were…You were awesome…” There’s so much more I could have added or said and part of me really wanted to…but it’s just so…soon.

We’re almost going our separate ways when Adam asks me. “Hunter, can I have a few minutes of your time?”

He doesn’t wait for me to answer and he just walks outside to the driveway and I hear the flick of his lighter.

Alex looks at me. I rub his chest through his shirt. “I’ll be okay. I want to talk to him too.”

“Just be careful, he’s…” I put my fingers to his lips. “I’ll be fine.” He moves my fingers and purses his lips in a sort of pouty frown. “It’s getting chilly, here.” He takes off his suit jacket and he wraps it over my shoulders. I’m swimming in it and it almost reaches down to the bottom hem of my dress.

I walk outside and over to where he’s at. I love the feeling of the jacket. It’s warm, it smells like him and the gesture was. There’s this part of me that sings a little bit at the whole thing. Yeah, oh Yeah I’m such a girl

I look at him. “Spare me one?”

“I thought you quit.”

“I did but I think I need one tonight.”

Adam passes me a cigarette and he lights it for me too. “Hunter I was really surprised tonight.”

“By?”

“You, you hung in there and hung onto being there with Alex and you came back after you lost it.”

“Oh well that’s easy I don’t have anywhere to go.”

“That can be arranged.”

“Meaning?”

“I am willing to pay for you to leave, to get your own place out of state and will foot your bills until you’re on your feet.”

“Sorry, won’t.”

“Why, you barely know my son? And I’m not sure that I want you involved with him.”

“I know that, but you know what Adam. Tough shit.”

“What?” He sounds like he’s getting pissed off.

“Did I stutter?” Like I said before…he can bring it.

“Look, I don’t like you being with my son. I want you out of his life. I’m being nic…”

I cut him off by poking him in the chest hard.

“Oh, don’t you fucking think that I don’t know that you don’t want me around Alex. Look you stupid stubborn Mick, I never thought I’d ever be in a place where I’d have ever met someone like your son. He’s a good guy and honestly I think I’m falling for him and I can’t fucking help that. But what I can help is the stuff that I’m going to put up from you.

You think that you’re the shit and you think that you know what’s best for Alex, you got all these dreams about what you want for him and they’re not his.”

“Listen Hunter…. My son is messed up. He’s been so fucked over by women before and hurt nearly killed even so it’s not like he knows what the real world is like so I’m making sure that he does know. I’m Making sure that he makes the right choices and not fall in love with someone like you!”

“You Asshole!, look shit happened, Alex’s mom was just like mine a fucking druggie, I get him more than anyone else would or could. And you want to know something else?! I’m not her!, April isn’t her! She killed herself, she’s fucking dead Adam just let it the fuck go! Let her stay the fuck dead!”

“I can’t fucking let it go!”

“Why?!”

“Because I can see it! He’s fucking falling in love with you!”

“I’m in love with him too!”

“You’ll break his fucking heart!”

“I do that it’ll break mine too!”

“You’re lying!”

“I am not!”

“Bullshit!”

“It’s not fucking bullshit! I get where you’re coming from Adam, I fucking do. You’re this kid from the wrong side of the tracks just like me. And when you were told that you were good enough to marry Alex’s mom you told them the same fucking thing that I’m telling you because you think I’m not good enough and that’s fuck you.

I might not have been some fifth child cop’s kid Adam but I grew up in a lot worse shitholes than you can imagine bucko. You think you were pulled down into some lower middle class pit by your family? Hell, I lived in those fucking horror stories you grew up hearing about from your dad and your brothers!”

I stop yelling but right now we’re face to face and breathing hard and staring right at each other. I take a breath and stare right into his eyes as hard as I can.

“My mom was a whore and a drug addict and my stepfather was a fucking skinhead abusive son of a bitch and I fucking survived them.”

I put my hand on his chest over his heart. And I can feel the hammering beat but the tremble of him being scared run through his flesh. Like touching a feral animal.

“I survived Adam, I survived and instead of you dreading that there’s something that’s going to drag me down like it did her……trust me it won’t, Alex is the first person in my life that’s shown me that life can be more that just a fucking nightmare….”

“I don’t want you’re money, I don’t want anything but…”

“But what?” His voice is harsh, thick, emotional and me I’m actually crying now and I don’t know why it’s coming loose here like it is right now.

“I just want to be safe…I just want someone to actually just…just…Love me….”

I can’t keep the fight up anymore there’s something crumbling down in me and the tears turn to crying then these sobs and once it’s there it’s like a dam coming undone and I try and turn away, try to even run…to where I don’t know just to get out of there away from these feelings…

Adam grabs my wrist and pulls me into him and scoops me into his arms and I have my face into his shoulder and he’s carrying me inside the garage and up the steps to my and Alex’s place.

“You fight fucking dirty Hunter, fucking dirty…You get one fucking chance and you hurt my son and it’ll be fucking on. You got that?”

I nod. Like a bobblehead because I’m still crying too much to talk. He bangs on our door with his foot and Alex opens the door and his Dad passes me to him.

I missed something…?

(Adam mouths to Alex silently. “Don’t you fuck this up.)

I just hear Alex very quietly but really intensely just say. “I won’t.”

Then it’s the sound of the door shutting and Alex caring me to our couch and pulls me even tighter into his arms and he let’s me cry myself to sleep.

*(End of Chapter 19.)

up
191 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay, that was cheating.

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Okay, that was cheating. I'd spent the last nine chapters really getting to hate Adam and the meal with the whole orchestrated mean girls thing was the icing on the cake. Adam was an unrepentent, misogynistic, manipulative, heartless, evil bastard (as you can see I have no strong opinions on him!!). And then at the big set piece scene at the end of the chapter where I expected him to cackle 'I'll get you and your little dog too' Adam becomes...human. Just for a moment mind you but when Hunter opens up to him he has the power to twist the knife in and doesn't. I don't trust him or like him yet but I kinda understand where he's coming from now and I'm willing to give him a chance.

Actually, Hunter in some ways makes Alex more the man Adam wants, thinking about it. She makes him stronger, more confident and more expressive. Of course she also makes him less predictable, less controllable and willing to listen to someone other than Adam - which has got to be driving Adam a little mad at the same time, seeing Alex start to become the man Adam wants him to be but under someone elses guidance.

I have to say that the dancing scene at the end of the chapter and start of this one was beautiful. An incredible contrast to the pain of the last chapter and it bridged nasty to nice so well.

It's not easy reading but this is good in a very raw, visceral kind of way. I seriously worry about those nosebleeds and headaches Hunter has. Some stories you think 'it will be okay' and in others you think 'this story could be the sort to have the bittersweet ending where she dies' and in the a very few you think 'I've got no idea where this is going'. This is the last of those three. It could be nothing. It could be serious. It could be terminal. I'm along for the ride now, I guess, now that this story has me hooked.

Oh, and you owe me a new box of tissues. :-p

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It would be just like a mean, cruel author or real life to...

pull the rug out from under Hunter right about now. She finds a strong ally in April, has strengthened her and Alex's love, made friends with most of the young women Adam and his male cronies *sicked* on Alex. So what will happen now, a brain aneurism? Cronies of her druggie parents come looking for money/drugs or to silence her from ratting them out?

-- GRIN --

So we know a bit more about Adam, he was so blindsided/hurt by Alex's mom drug abuse and suicide he chooses not to love anything and distrust everyone. He assumes Hunter will be a drug abuser and break his son's heart. That Adam carries his multi generational Irish cop family's disappointment in his becoming a lawyer and not a cop just makes it worse.

Hunter in her blunt response to his still not getting she is NOT like his late wife finally shatters his *shell*. She cracked it at the dinner what with recovering from the cruel treatment at dinner yet NOT lashing out in kind, her noting Alex and Adam have similar smiles, sharing food and so on. She returned the hypocritical cattyness with good natured sharing and friendliness. Adam doesn't know what to think about Hunter. I got the impression Adam still believes her to be a born female. But then given Hunter's sad childhood his/her druggie parents likely did everything to stay *below the radar* of the authorities thus likely there are few if any records of Hunter's existence.

April and Adam seem to have rekindled some of their passion largely in part to Alex's actions... For which April is moved to tears with thankfulness. April clearly loves the wounded man and has been waiting for a reconciliation within the family. I wonder will there finally a baby brother or sister for Alex?

Still all the little oddities about Hunter, his easily passing for female even when he wasn't trying, how easy she has fallen into the role of loving girlfriend despite her being biologically male so far must mean something but what? Is he gay, is she TG and will soon go the MtF route, is she female and intersexed? Or is Hunter just a survivor and her love for Alex, her joy in the sex is in response to his being the first person to ever show Hunter love, compassion and to not abuse him/her?

Then we have those nose bleeds since way back that POSSIBLY were first triggered by a major assault by his stepdad. What really is going on here? Knowing her family history Hunter likely never was seen by a doctor for fear they would be arrested as child abusers and drug abusers.

Whatever the reality behind these fictional characters, whatever the outcome be it tragic, bittersweet, happy or even Disney Happy EndingTM I know I will enjoy this well crafted tale.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thanks so much John, amazing comment:)

I'm so glad that you're getting the story and the back story underneath this as well. You're really good at reading the setting and seeing the possibilities. I loved this because you gave me a few more angles to look at this myself and that always makes a better story.

*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I'm so glad that this story came across the way it did.

I really love the way that you see and get the dynamic going on between Hunter and Alex and you describe it so well. I love the love hate feelings you have towards Adam, but you get part of him too really. I did love the dancing scene and More than words is one of my favorite tunes.

I know it's not going to be an easy ride but I'll try and make it really worth it.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

a lot of emotion

came out in that one, now we will see. if Adam can not mess it up and just let Hunter take care of Alex his boy will be fine.
great chapter, thanks

Thanks Lonewolf:)

I love how this entire chapter turned out and everything. I got so much out of not just writing it but all the comments made this story chapter a real work of love.

Thanks for reading and commenting:)
*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Good Reading

littlerocksilver's picture

Hunter is a fighter, and she's just beginning to get in her stride. In spite of her background, she is an articulate young woman who thinks on her feet. I know there may be more problems, but I so want this to come to a good end.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

Thanks Portia:)

I really loved writing this and when Hunter had fought back through the bullshit that she'd been put through and the fight at the end with Adam and the strange sort of truce now. It was kinda fun to write it out.

Thanks for reading:)
And the great Comment.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Emotional rollercoaster, I

Emotional rollercoaster, I love how Hunter and April turn the attitude at the table on it's head, from having everyone talk down at her to having mutual discussions and fun at the table.

Adam I don't get, seems he really isn't sure of himself let alone anyone else, to me it seems even though he married April it appears more that he married her to be a mother to his son but it backfired and a comfort to himself. I wonder outside of comforting Adam while he weeps at night over his dead wife how much he and April actually talk.

It looked to me like Adam was surprised there's things about April he doesn't know probably cause he's still so wrapped in his grief, I wonder how much of the control freak act is just his attempt to stop his son going the same route as his mother went, his insecurities manifesting by controlling everything.

I'm starting to feel a little sorry for Adam and hoping Hunter might in some way help him get past what happened, would be interesting to see the discussion he'll have with April over this.

If nothing else I think Adam's accepted Hunter provisionally at least, although I think she gave him too much information. Then again maybe he'll come to realise Hunter wont allow what happened to Alex's mom to happen to either her or Alex.

Great chapter looking forward to seeing how this all pans out, hope we get to see April and Adams chat before bed I think it'd be interesting.

Lizzie :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

This is why Comments are important:)

You just pointed out a POV for this story that'll need to be told now that you pointed out that I should write about the post fight before bed bit between April and Alex. I love the chances to flesh of the other characters in a story.

Thanks for the comment and reading and the really good Idea.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I don't know-

what to add to what everyone else has said. I do know that I love this, and you owe me a few tissues too!
hugs
Grover

I'm so glad that you liked this Grover:)

And just getting a comment from you still means a lot. But I warned you all about the tissues. LOL!
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

You got Me with

I just want someone to actually just…just…Love me…

Fell apart at that..

Danielle_O

"Life is pain, Princess ~ anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

divider_001a.jpg
Danielle_O

"Life is pain, Princess ~ anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

i have tears in my eyes and i have to comment before i

read anyone else's comments. Boom... trifecta. thank you Bailey, thank you for the blowout between Hunter and Adam, thank you for the rest of the evening going so well at the restaurant. thank you for Adam having a heart under all that stainless steel... thanking you for the tears and joy and for answering the prayers i made after 19.1.
Hugs and tears,
Diana

Thanks so much Diana.

I'm so glad that you liked this so much and got the things you were wishing for in one way or another. I really Loved writing this for all of you.

Thanks for the great Comments Honey:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Lovely

I read the words about wine as a meal instead of with a meal, and smiled. Then I read the end, with Adam's paternal need spread all over the carpet....thank you.

Thanks so much Steph:)

You sound like you know/knew a few people who pretty much drinks a lot of their meals;) I Like the way Adam's sort of complicated.

Thanks so much for the comment and for reading.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey

Bailey Summers

Your Adam

..or mine? Several of my characters have drink problems, partly because I tend to write 'redemption' but also because it's the one drug that's easy to get and legal. I also feel that I would have problems plotting my way out of a serious drug habit with a sympathetic character. So I do the cowardly thing, and leave it at booze. Oh, and my nod to egotism: my middle name is Anne.

It's a scary thing really getting into the booze too much.

Like you said it's easy to get but also in certain circles very socially acceptable. Drug stories are something I've not really done either, but some drugs are scary easy to get.

Oddly I wasn't planning the amount of A names in the story but I like the fact your middle name is that of one of my all time favorite characters you've written.

*More Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

High Times

One of my characters is named Anne too. Here's her profile: http://www.urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=1494801

I was just thinking about that the other day. Adam, Alex, April... Reminds me of my family. My four siblings and I have names that start with D, as does my father.

Glad I never got into drugs. Tried weed a few times in my 20s, didn't care for it, partly because I was smart enough not to start smoking, partly because I couldn't feel its effects on me like I could with alcohol, although my friends said they could tell. I don't like to lose control. Alcoholism runs in my family, so I was well aware it could happen to me, and I was careful with booze. Oh sure, got hammered with my friends in our 20s, but I was always careful. No matter how much I drank, a small part of my brain (my "watchdog") kept track of how much I drank, how it was affecting me, and told me when to slow down, or stop. Heck, sometimes I'd just get pleasantly tipsy, then pretend to get hammered along with my friends, and I'd sit back and watch THEIR antics, while trying to keep Bad Things from happening (fights, drunk driving, power tool use, etc). Anyway, I couldn't feel that with the weed, couldn't feel how it was affecting me, so I didn't like it.

And the one time I tried acid, yeesh. That was a bizarre night. Never again. Good party otherwise, though. What I remember, anyway. I never did find out why John was talking to that tree, though. Or if it said anything interesting to him.

These days, I have a beer or wine with dinner occasionally, or when visiting someone, and that's it. Haven't actually gotten drunk since six or seven years ago when I took my sister-out-law out to a karaoke bar on Mother's Day. When we got back, her kids laughed at us cuz we were so drunk, leaning on each other and singing.

Lisa the Lush

I had a druggie older brother

and as such i got into the party scene pretty quickly at about 12, I had my first hangover in grade 6. But it was different back then, the older wiser more jaded ones looked out for the young ones. By The time I was in my early 20's I was kind of been there done that and by 26 I got kind of stopped.
I social drink rarely but still, I'll go have a beer or two if the Stanley cup play offs are on or maybe if there's a good band playing in town but that's pretty rare.
I do get more than tipsy once or twice a year with friends usually for a special occasion but never really drunk anymore, really drunk's not fun.
The drugs never ever took hold of me and I've been about 15yrs clean but my brothers still a druggie and never could.

Thanks fer the talk Lushie:)
*Great Big Hugs.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

druggie older brother

Yeah, I have one of those too. He doesn't do the harder stuff anymore but still smokes up regularly. A lot of people say weed isn't addictive, but my brother gets pretty cranky when he runs out. He's generally a very addictive personality anyway, though, and gets hooked on stuff easily.

My younger brother was more like you. Did stuff in his teens and 20s, then just outgrew it or whatever.

I was the shy nerd to their partying metalheads. I tried a few things out of curiosity but mostly avoided the drug scene, preferring drinking the few times I partied with them. Even there, I learned the hard way what my limits were, and why I didn't like going past them.

*millions of tiny hugs*
Lees

It's funny isn't it?

My sister was basically in your position but she was my brothers twin. It's so odd though the in both cases 3 different kids had 3 different tolerances and addiction levels.

Awesome Hugs Lees:)
*Great Big Hugs Back.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

All I can say...

... is OMG! Nothing else comes, but maybe 'amazing'.

You really outdid yourself, Bailey, this was a phenomenal piece of writing. Thank you so much for sharing it with us all.

~Ecstatic Huge Happy Squee Hugs... N Stuff hehe~
Jen

Thanks so much Lynx!

Sorry it's taken so long to respond, sleep and double shifts:) Thanks so much for the really great praise Jen, I wanted to do justice to what was in my head and put it into three smaller parts. I'm so happy this got the response it did.

*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

No worries =]

The fact that you respond to pretty much every comment to your stories, whether soon or late, is a testament to your awesomeness and another reason that you're justifiably my favorite author here ^^

I'm willing to bet that just about everyone that drops in to read your stories knows how it is when life gets busy on us. Like, sometimes it seems that absolutely nothing is happening, then like some crazy far-north spring, a whole slew of events descends upon us with a vengeance. Thus is life lol

Thanks again, hon!

~More Ginormous Hugs n Stuff~
Jen

Just... Wow.

I caught the last 4 installments all in one go. Then I had to explain to hubby why I was sitting there sobbing...

Fantastic story.

Thank you

Valentines_face_crop.jpg

Battery.jpg

Thanks Abby:)

I'm so moved at the commitment to spend that much time on my story:) I think that many tears has to be a wonderful compliment.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Took some convincing, but

Took some convincing, but Adam now has at least a grudging respect. Good.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thanks Faraway:)

I like the way it turned out as a kinda-sorta victory but also the drain it's had on everyone involved.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Omg

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

There's so much here I don't know how to respond.
Especially since others comments already cover much my thoughts.

I'll just add:
Yes Hunter fights dirty, Most wouldn't dare use the raw truth, for it burns the wielder aswell.

Thanks Littlewings:)

This made me smile anyways:)
*Hugs for Pixie Dust*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Ok you got me crying!!

Pamreed's picture

I so want everything to work out and every one to be happy!!
But I know that i will have more need of my Kleenex. I am
late reading this, but am enjoying it so very much!! Hunter
is like so many of my sisters in the trans community. Life has
them down and is not making it easy for them to make it!! So
I guess I want Hunter to make it to make up for those who don't!!

Hugs Bailey,
Pamela

Thanks Pamela!...Again LOL:)

I really, really loved the fight and heart at the end of this. I'm so glad that it touched you too.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Been Re-reading this

I have this funny habit of taking and envisioning story characters in context of current tv shows I'm watching. Right now I'm currently catching up on Arrow and the Donovan family I can so see April as a younger Moira queen, like pre undertaking but swap Robert with Detective Lance and you'd have Adam and Hunter is sorta a TG Roy Harper. Not sure who'd be left as alex though. Maybe the sorta son Oliver would have been with Detective Lance as a father I suppose...

The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once - Albert Einstein

I usually go with comic or movie characters Eraser820

But in TV shows Alex would look like a blonde Tim Riggins from Friday Night Lights and Hunter would actually look like Keira knightly but pale blonde haired and a teenager.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Truth comes out

Jamie Lee's picture

Adam finally admits the fear he has for Alex, and faces a reality he refuses to accept. His first wife is dead and needs to be left in peace. That not all women are out to take advantage of the men in their lives, like Jen would be. This is rather strange, that Adam would welcome a woman in Alex's life he knows is going to use Alex to climb the social ladder rather than a woman who is after Alex because of who Alex actually is.

Adam really needs to think things through and examine he reason to have Alex with someone like Jen. Hunter has shown Alex love when he needed it most, after a nightmare. Jen would care less to help him when one hits, it would be sweep under the rug so it wouldn't hurt her social status. Jen would also be the type to run off and do what she wants and leave Alex alone most of the time, unless it was to further her status.

Adam wanted to learn more about Hunter, and he did when Hunter unloaded on him when he offered her money to leave. He doesn't understand the power love has when shared by two people. It has more power than all of Adam's money. He also learned how fiercely Hunter will stand up to anyone trying to hurt Alex in any way.

Adam can't be that dense not to see the two really love each other and need each other. If he can't, he so dead inside that even trying to jump start him again might not be possible.

But he and April have yet to speak.

Others have feelings too.

In tears again,

I think that is one of the many reasons that I love your stories. As I was growing up, I was constantly told "boys don't cry" or "man up" or "have some stones" or any one of a thousand other sayings that did nothing but make me suppress my emotions to such an extent that I have had trouble showing emotion and have been almost unable to cry. I started to embrace the girl I've always been, and I'm learning to have emotions again and learning that it is ok to cry. And no, it wasn't my father saying that but my mother.