Sunshine...Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Sunshine…Part One.

I was asleep when the radio call went off.

Fire call all fire responders needed. An apartment fire at 233, 37th street. I rolled out of bed and started to jump into my clothes and Rachel my wife sort of sat up and looked at me. “Joel? What…Oh no…I thought we talked…you said that you gave your resignation.”

“Rachel I’ve gotta go it’s a super unit fire.”

Super units were like the old housing projects a long time ago but here in the 26th century the new thing was these super units. It’s a massive building an apartment and housing unit the size of an entire city block…stores and stuff near the bottoms but the rest of the two hundred story things were apartments…or were seventy years ago.

These things were now old and the were also literally bad neighborhoods.

Still thousands of people…they needed every man, every body that they had or could get for something like this.

“You don’t have to go you’re done! Joel! No! You’re retired!”

“Yes I have to go! We have friends and family going there dammit Rachel! I only left last week, I have to go, what if something happened!?”

“Yeah Joel what if something fucking happened to you!?”

“I’m going!”

“Then expect you shit outside when you get home! You know what!!! Don’t fucking come home!”

I leave…Rae’s following me calling me everything but a white person…..old saying, back in the 20th and until the 23rd racism was alive and well here on Earth. She’s also throwing anything remotely breakable at me.

She really hates me doing my job.

But I’m a firefighter, I’ve been one for forty years. And I’ve lost track at how many times I’ve nearly died. Hell I’m about eighteen to twenty percent replacement parts. Cybernetic organs and stuff, bones, both eyes are tech made, lost them at different times.

She hates in and she’s scared…she though I was done, I though I was done but this kind of fire kills a lot of people…Roscoes included.

Roscoes are firefighters.

The name actually comes from a slang term for carry a gun, some people called guns Roscoes like ages back and then some time in the 22nd century someone called one of our fire axes that. “C’mon and bring that roscoe with you, there’s a kid trapped in here…”

No one knows the story it’s just how I picture it but the nickname stuck.

I’m not letting this happen, not while there’s still breath in my body. Hell I practically raised some of these firefighters…I’m not leaving them or the people in the lurch.

Cop…soldier…firefighters…

Once you’re a firefighter you never stop being a fire fighter.

I could really use my siren and flashers right now though. I’m driving a little crazy and cutting through the traffic. It might have taken me twenty minutes to get there but twenty minutes could be the same as twenty years in a fire like this.

I could see the flames from eight minutes away.

I have to ditch the car because there’s no way to get it closer and I jog the rest of the way in looking for.

“Tom!…what’s our sitch?”

“Not good Joel, suit up we had a shootout in there and there’s people trapped inside because they were hiding from the gunfire.”

He doesn’t ask what I’m doing there. An extra man is an extra man and I head to the loggy-bus (Logistics) to grab extra gear and suit up. I’m done in another twelve and I’m moving in with six other guys…two are oldsters like me.

We walk into the scene through floors of steam, a slimy muck like later of water made ash and soot. Up into hell…part of me can’t help but wonder at things like that. Walking up into hell.

The thirty seventh floor is where the heat, smoke and flames start up and we make our way through bit by bit looking and searching. There’s just so many places to hide. I swallow the pain in my heart when I’m seeing people that we just never got to in time…old people, kids…there’s always too many kids here…they end up having lots in here because it boosts the level of their assistance cheques.

I hate seeing kids die.

I hate the fact they’re dead because of some selfish mother fucking drug dealer or gang decided whatever they were doing was more important than their lives or the lives of the people around here.

Pets…

I’m hurt by seeing animals dead or dying too. The term furkids means something to me. I’m just one of those guys.

But every life we save, every one we pass off to the police officers and others brave enough to help the rescue teams is precious to me.

We’re up to the fortieth floor when there’s the popping of ammo going off ignited by the heat and we duck and take cover…there’s yells and just…

Jerry Mcknight one of the kids that went in with me and the other four guys doesn’t drop in time and there’s a “huk…” sound…not even a real sound and the kid drops…he took some rounds. I see one through his visor.

Dammit!

Dammit, dammit, dammit he was just twenty…just a kid he never even had a chance to really get to have a life yet!

I’m keeping down and I’m cursing and crying some as we’re waiting for the popping to stop.

That’s when I hear the crying.

I’m a father…

I know the sound of a little girl crying.

I’m a father…

There’s really no choice.

Ammo or no ammo, I can’t wait and just be safe.

I get up, sprint to the door of the room and break through it. I have no idea how I don’t get perforated as the bullets are zipping around. I see it’s an apartment and a drug lab one of those kitchen cook spots and they were doing this with family around!?

I see the little girl, five or six blonde in bad shaped from everything crying and coughing her mother lying at her feet in a puddle of blood. I run to her and scoop her up into my arms and she screams and I can’t take her mother with me.

I hear more shells going off and I turn my back to the sound hoping that the plates and mesh in my firecoat will be good enough.

I see a bullet whiz past the corner of my eye and my tech eyes can track it better than my real ones but I almost wish they couldn’t. I watch as that round punctures a tank in the kitchen then there’s the pffft of gas venting I turn again and fall/jump behind the sofa and curl around the girl.

BOOM!!!

We both scream…It feel like the surface of the sun for a few seconds…the sofa and us are pushed several feet and the pressure popped one on my ears.

I look at her she seems relatively okay.

Then the creaking…I try getting up and running out of there with her but no chance…The floor gives way we fall. I turn to take the impact of the floor and try to shield her. I go though that floor and the next as the place is coming down…the entire building is coming down.

I curl around her and pray.

……………………………….....I come too in the dark just barely lit by one of my mini headlamps and she’s crying…curled into a little ball under me and crying…I can’t move my legs…can’t feel them and the heat is just oppressive…the fires still going.

I feel around and feel blood…not good…they’ll dig us out but it won’t be soon enough.

I’m a father…

She’s just…

I took an oath.

I take my mask off.

“Hey pumpkin what’s you’re name?”

She rattles off something in Slavic. Great she has no idea what I just said. Okay…I take the mask and put it over her face. “Breathe…” I try to deep breathe to show her and she nods…it hurt…it hurt to breathe that deep. I turn down the gauge so she’ll have air hopefully because she won’t need as much as I would.

Yeah…

You’d do the same right…she’s still just a baby…she might have a chance. I pull her close to keep her warm. She’s breathing between crying and sniffling…it gets worse as my helmet light is dying.

She’s freaking out or she will be. I give her my hand to hold onto…it’s feeling numb….I start to sing to her to try and keep her calm. She needs to be calm to breathe right to conserve her air.

“You are my Sunshine…”
“My only Sunshine…”
“You make me happy…”
“When blue skies are grey…”
“You’ll never………..know…dear…”
“How…”
“How…much….I love you….”

“Don’t take…”

It’s getting darker…is it the light dying or me?

“Don’t take…”

I hear her tiny little voice in bad English…

“Don’t take ma sun shines aways….”

Darkness…

up
219 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

very interesting start

very interesting start :--).

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

Thanks Sarah:)

I hope you'll like the entire thing too when it's done.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

WHOA! This one sounds intense

From the title I am guessing, and this is only a guess, he doesn't make it or the child either but there is enough to piece together one person from what remains, his mind for the most part in her body.

So is Rachel out of the picture or does she take in the confused new child?

And what of the drug fight? Is the little girl at risk?

Or I am totally off my trolley?

Still if the title means anything he will be a child again and probably a girl. Hum, is he dying and the little girl alive and for some reason they cloan her body for him?

Something along those general lines seem likely.

I had a thought they might put his brain in the dead mom's body. Clearly he cares for the child and should she survive the little girl will have bonded to the firerfighter. But I think the mom has been dead too long.

In any case, talk about giving your life to save another!

Powerful start.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Don't the urban planners/politicians ever learn? High rise *workers housing* is a future ghetto. Some of the few *ousing projects* that have worked were in France where the residents developed shops/shopping center several floors up and other changes to the original design that made the moderate high rise into a self contained community.

John in Wauwatosa

You're missing the point John

It's not about the people who will end up trying to live in those things, it's about the votes the concrete proof that the person you elected did do something. See! I did that so people will have a place to live!

Forget that within five years they will teem with crime and all the other problems of dumping all of your problems in one place.

Also as always the first responders are the ones who pay the price for poor decisions.

Powerful stuff Bailey.
hugs
Grover
PS: You planning on seeing Dredd? This sounds like one of those buildings from there, only without the Judge.

Judge Dread?

YO ADRIAN!!!!!

Sorry, got my films confused.

Milwaukee has some *projects* and for the most part they work despite some problesm.

BUT they are not all in one place and most are one to two story, two or four unit buildings, basically small appartment blocks. Are near shopping, and have a fair amount of greenspace.

In those high rises the elevators are dangerous muggers zones or broken and who the hell can suppervise their kids from ten stories above even if the elvators work and are safe?

No Cabrini Greens here.

Hey Grover,

Any progress on your Wild Side/alt worlds fantacy or Wheels of the Bus?

Or some other surprise?

Still have hope your half dragon half human female from your Hero's universe will be continued.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. I liked this story as do others here I see.

P.P.S. at the very end of the chapter the little slavic girl sings the next line of the song and relatively well too. Is this a hint their minds are somehow merging due to say his cyberntic stuff malfunctioning or some physic power the child has?

John in Wauwatosa

The biggest problem with the

The biggest problem with the various 'projects' or even building mega apartment complexes isn't the people. It's that the people specifying and funding them don't take into account human nature, and build accordingly.

Rather than using the _cheapest_ materials, they should use the strongest materials. Did you know that they are required to put closet doors in place, even in subsidized houses? Why?

Basically - build everything of metal, not ceramic, plastic, or fiberglass. Yes, it's more expensive, but stainless steel will continue to work even when dented - ceramic will shatter. Industrial quality plumbing will outlast the people, even if they don't care for it.

The other is maintenance - or the lack thereof. There's a good reason to give people free housing in exchange for providing general maintenance services.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

I agree with you there:)

There is an inevitability in human nature and building things to last saves money in the long run. Live in maintenance is also a good idea but seldom used around my area. I live in a university town a lot of dishonest renters.

Bailey Summers

wowzers!

Powerful new story hon!

DogSig.png

Thanks Dorothy:)

I'm glad that you liked it.
*Great Big Angel Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Wow

Wow that about says it all . I hope little Sunshine is going to be OK and saved . Kudos on the start of 2 stories on the same day . Now on to chapter 2 I can't wait.
HUGS RICHIE2

30 years

...in fire/rescue and I can tell you it's true. YOU CAN TAKE THE FIREFIGHTER OUT OF THE FIREHOUSE BUT YOU CAN NEVER TAKE THE FIREHOUSE OUT OF THE FIREFIGHTER.

I still stop any time I see an emergency to see if I can do anything to help. Of course, once the "new" professionals arrive, I just tell them what I've observed and done and then back out of the way. I also make notes in case of a court case and I'm listed as a witness. Scared more than one attorney away when he found out my history and that I wanted to refer to my notes during questioning. LOL. Those jerks really don't want truth, just whatever will make them a buck.

Also, there's definitely serious liability if a "non-professional", even a retired professional, gets injured on a scene. He would not have been allowed inside no matter how much help was needed.

Hugs,
Erica

Injured?

You're assuming that laws about "you knowingly took an informed risk, things went wrong, and now you want to blame someone else" survives to the 26th century.

You're right there there is a code that allows for

a professional FF to assist even if retired. You cross the protective lines and you signed the waver. The same with PD in the 26th manpower in crisis that's trained is always an issue.
*Big Hugs to both of you!*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

You're Jerking Me Around

littlerocksilver's picture

I read Vanilla and get all these warm fuzzy feelings. I read this and I am close to tears. The only thing that gives it hop is that our narrator is narrating it. another great start.

Portia

Powerful start

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Interesting and powerful start. Another story set in the future and it go just about anywhere from here! I'm guessing our narrator will be around for chapter 2 somehow but in what kind of shape I've no idea. And you end it with a lovely tearjerker ending. Oddly, Sunshine was my father's nickname for me as a child and it's been years since I heard that song. *sniffle*

I'm off to read Vanilla now. Bailey, when do you sleep?!?!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

That song has meaning for me too:)

And there's a lot more to this story. I hope you will like where things are going:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

intense start...

looking forward to see what you do with it.
thanks

;-;

Extravagance's picture

I'm sure that this will be yet another of your wonderful stories, but that beginning brought sadness to the most steely of psyches there is...
*HuggleSniffle* T-T

Catfolk Pride.PNG

More to come, I hope you'll like it:)

It'll be interesting to say the least:)
*Huggles, big huggles steely heart.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I HATE cliffhangers!

And in the first damn chapter!? Grrrrrrr. Okay, let's see some more-Soon.

Please?

Wren

I'm writing it now:)

I'm glad that you enjoyed it though:)
*Big Hugz*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Great stuff Bailey.

Wow! That brought back some intense memories for me. That doesn't mean it wasn't awesome, two new stories. How am I gonna keep up.


I wear this crown of thorns
Upon my liar's chair
Full of broken thoughts
I cannot repair

Thanks Jenn C. so much:)

I hope that all that was brought back wasn't painful. I really appreciate you reading and commenting.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

You can fill a phone book with Bailey's characters.

Bailey, Bailey, Bailey...
It's going to take me a few minutes before I can continue on with this one. Just one quick scene and I've already got a lump in my throat. You have such a way of bringing these characters to life and you do it without wasting a single word. It's astounding how you can come up with these new people quicker than I can think of ways to compliment you for it.
.
.

Vneck1.JPG
The girl in me. She's always there...
Hang on, I'll be OK in a minute.

Thanks so much Lora:)

I'm glad that you liked this start there's more to the story and I hope that you like it as much:)
*Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers