Jo(si)e -3-Time With The Girls

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 3

Time With The Girls

I needed to get up early to get ready for my new role in life as a hairdresser’s assistant, actually more of a dogsbody and gofer, but it would only be for a few days and I was looking forward to stating there, it would be a change from sweating over the grill in the burger bar. Because of where I would be working, Susie had told me to wear full make-up and to make sure my hair looked good, it was to be expected in a beauty salon. As I would be wearing a uniform skirt blouse and tunic I just put on a simple skirt and top and comfortable flat shoes for my journey in.

I was just about to climb into my car when I had second thoughts, what if I had an accident or was stopped by the police? It could all get too embarrassing to explain why my licence and insurance listed me as Joseph and I was dressed as Jo, so I locked the car and walked down to the end of the road to the bus stop. I hadn’t been on a bus for years and hadn’t been alone in public as Jo without Susie to support me, so I was a bit uncertain and nervous, but the bus driver hardly gave me a glance, he was more concerned with taking my money and giving me a ticket. The bus was quite full and there were few spare seats, so I ended up sitting next to another girl, about my age.

"I think I know you, did you go to Redhill school? I think you were in the year above me. I’m Jen Collins, you probably remember my sister Karen.”

“Actually I met Karen the other day at the café in the park and we had a bit of a chat, I must go back there to spend a bit more time catching up, she sounded like she was a bit down and would welcome a friendly face.”

"She would like that. When she got married and had her baby, Marianne, the scumbag she was with packed up and went away, saying family life was not for him, leaving her to pick up the pieces. She does not have much of a life outside of work and Marianne, I’m sure that she would appreciate it.”

"I’ll definitely do that then. Anyway, Jen this is my stop, It’s been nice chatting to you, I’ll probably see you on the bus sometime, take care. My name is Jo Johnson by the way.”

Normally I am not much of a chatterbox making smalltalk with people I don’t know, but it just seemed easier to blend in as Jo than it would have been as Joey, and the way Jen just accepted me gave me a lot of confidence for the day ahead. When I arrived, Susie had already opened up and was waiting for me.

"Hi Jo, welcome to my salon, I have left a uniform skirt and top and tunic out for you, go and get changed and we’ll get you ready for when the others arrive.”

"There you are you’ll do, I’ll just put a couple of side combs in for you to keep your hair off your face, it’s not really long enough yet to tie it back neatly, and you will be all set to go, just relax and act as if this is just like any other day” and you will have no problems.”

“Hi girls, this is Jo Johnson, she will be helping out for a few days. any odds and ends you need doing just ask her, she is not trained at all, so don’t let her anywhere near a pair of scissors or clients’ hair. Jo, that is Zara, Sally, Ella, Kim, and Helen. Your first job, while they settle in and get sorted is to make the coffee, all white with no sugar.”

I soon settled in and was kept busy keeping the place tidy and clean, making tea and coffee for the clients, fetching and carrying for the stylists, who were a friendly group, and the day soon passed, without anyone seeming to pick up on the real me, but I was glad when it was time to go home. Wearing the uniform skirt and top, had been no problem and was actually quite comfortable, but standing up all day was a lot more tiring than I had expected, I was glad that Susie had told me to wear flats rather than heels.

“You’ve done well today Jo, the girls all like you and you have fitted in well with them, they are always glad when they have someone to do all the odd jobs for them when they get on with what they have been trained to do. I take it that you will be coming back again tomorrow, you’ll find it easier and less stressful knowing that you are accepted as just another one of the girls, get yourself off home and have a relaxing night.”

As I got on the bus on the way home, I heard a shout."Jo I’m up at the back come and join me.”

"Oh hi, Jen, I wouldn’t have seen you there. What sort of a day have you had? “

"Just run of the mill, mainly the usual boring office stuff, what about you?”

"Well, it was my first day in a new job, only temporary but I am helping out in "Susie’s Hair & Beauty.”

"Oh, I know that, but I have never used them, can you book me in for after work on Friday, I have a hot date and want to look my best to be ready for anything, if you know what I mean.” she said , with a cheeky grin.”

"I’ll have a look at the book and see I they can fit you in and let you know, give me your number. If you speak to Karen, tell her you met me and that I will be in touch soon to arrange to meet up. I get off here, see you again Jen.”

I got in, changed into leggings and a wooly jumper to lounge around in, raided the freezer and threw a bolognese in the microwave, and settled down for a quiet relaxing night. Although it had been a tiring day, I had enjoyed myself with the girls at work, mixed in well with them and the clients, and was surprised how smoothly it had all gone. I was beginning to believe that Susie was right and that I could possibly survive for a while living and working as Jo.

The meeting up and chats on the bus with Jen became a regular thing and we were getting on well, and within a couple of days I knew more about her and Karen that I did about many of the boys I had been at University with for three years. She was a natural chatterbox and I found her friendly and easy to talk to, it passed the time on the bus journeys.

I was quickly part of the furniture at work and was treated the same as any of the girls, and in the occasional slack period they gave me a bit of training in basic nail care and shampooing the clients hair for them, I was beginning to feel useful and comfortable in the role.

I has booked Jen in for late Friday afternoon to get her hair styled and I did her nails while she gave me all the details of the boy she was dating. She was really excited about her date and never stopped talking about it while I was working on her. She went away happily to get ready for her night out looking a lot more glamorous and attractive than her normal workday style. Susie was happy that I had brought in a new client and I felt quite pleased with myself..

When I got home, there was a letter addressed to Josephine Johnson, an official offer of appointment from the Museum, and a note from couriers that there was a parcel left behind the gate to the back garden. It was now decision time, one way or another I had to deal with the letter from the museum. I really needed to talk with Josie to make sure that she had not changed her mind and tried several times to get through to her, but could only get her answer service, so left a message for her to call me back and rang Susie instead.

"Susie, can you come round or I can come to you, I need to talk.”

"Can it wait until tomorrow, we can find time to go out for a chat or can you come here, I am in the middle of something and would rather not leave.”

"It is official now, Jo is due to start at the Museum on Monday week, I can’t get hold of her and I am panicking.”

“Calm down, until you speak to Josie there is not much we can talk about, other than to reassure you that I am really pleased with the way you have blended in with the girls in the salon and are getting on quite naturally with Jen that came in to see you today.”

"Be honest with me, have any of the girls noticed anything odd about me or said anything to you?”

"As far as they are concerned, you are Jo and just another girl in the salon. Believe me, if they had any suspicions about you, you would know, they are not backward at criticising people they don’t get on with.. Speak to Josie to see what she wants to do. By the way, did you get a parcel delivery today?”

”Yes Susie I did, but I haven’t opened it yet, is it another order from you?”

“When we were out the other evening and you were wearing trousers it was a bit obvious that you don’t have a girlish figure, your hips are too narrow and your bottom too flat. Nothing wrong with that, but you will have heard comments about women asking ‘does my bum look big in this’ and many would welcome not being so hippy, but you have the opposite problem. I ordered you a few pairs off padded briefs to give you a bit more shape, put one on tomorrow over your normal panties and you will notice the difference, particularly with the quite tight uniform skirt. See you in the morning, and don’t worry.”

In the morning I followed Susie’s suggestion and wore the shaper briefs and felt comfortable enough to try on a pair if trousers. I was surprised how much better they fitted, hugging the hips and bottom a lot more firmly, and felt confident wearing them to go to work. I saw a rather tired looking Jen in our normal place at the back of the bus, and went to join her.

I don’t have to ask how it went last night, you are grinning like a cat that has got the cream, but you are looking a bit tired, naughty girl !”

"Thank the girls in the salon for me, I felt really confident when I was out on the date and had a great time, feeling good about yourself really makes a difference in how you get on with people. You are looking very nice today, it is the first time I have seen you in trousers, they really suit you, you have the figure for them, tight trousers always make my bum look big.”

When I got to the salon and changed into my uniform the skirt fitted a lot better too, Susie had been right once again, I don’t think I could have got this far without all her help.

"Has Josie rang you back yet?"asked Susie when she had an opportunity to be alone with me.

“Not yet, I have left voicemails and texts, but she hasn’t replied.”

“Don't’ worry, you only got the job offer yesterday, they won’t expect a reply in the post until Tuesday, you still have plenty of time to sort things out. By the way, those padded panties are doing their job, they have given you a nice feminine backside and hips, still slim but girl-slim rather than boy-shape. You really look the part.”

Eventually later that afternoon Josie called me, and could hardly contain her excitement.

"Oh Joey, you should see Jack’s parents house it must have cost a fortune, apparently they are quite wealthy, his father owns a few businesses. When we told them about the baby, they were shocked at first, ‘I thought you young people knew all about the facts of life, why were you not taking precautions?’, and all sorts of comments like that, but when they got over the shock they were delighted for us, and are already planning for an early wedding before the baby shows too much.”

"Don’t you think this is all a bit of a rush. I know that you and Jack have been together through the university years but you are still young, are you sure that you want to do this or is it just because you are carrying a baby?”

"We were talking about it for a while but decided to have a bit of a career first, but now there is no going back. We are really looking forward to life together with our baby, and maybe more. Jack will be joining his father’s business and will be earning enough to support us and the baby, I will be a stay-at-home wife and mother, at least for a few years”

‘Damn, there goes one of my options."I muttered to myself realising that there was no way that she was going to give up the baby for a career with the museum.”

"Josie, I’m delighted for you and we can talk about this again, but I really need to discuss the job offer from the museum with you.”

"I am not interested in that anymore, when I get back I will tell them that I am no longer on the market as I am having a baby and that it would not be fair to lumber them with all the hassle and costs of maternity leave and benefits. They will understand, and will probably be glad that I found out before I started with them.”

"It’s a shame, it’s something that you have worked towards for all your time at university, the job is amazing and could lead to a long and successful career, The salary and benefit package is a lot better than I was expecting, I only wish that they had offered me the opportunity.”

"Why don’t you go for it if you are so keen, call them and tell them about me and see if they will take you instead.”

"There is a problem with that, apparently as a condition of some of the grants and sponsorship that are paying for the project, the project coordinator has to be female, it is all to to with equal-opportunities and promotion of women into positions of responsibility. its totally wrong but the job is just not open to Joey.”

"From what I have seen in the photos you sent nobody will know any different if you take the job and work as me. If Susie has been confident enough to take you out in public you must be pretty good with the voice and mannerisms and things too.”

“But it would mean living totally as you for a few years, what is supposed to have happened to me, I can’t just disappear from the face of the earth?”

"You have been talking to your friends for ages about taking some time off to do a grand tour of a lot of the historic archaeological sites around the world, Chichen Itza, Machu Picchu, Angkor Wat, Petra, Knossos, Pompeii, Carthage and lots of others. Say that you have won some money on the lottery and are taking the opportunity for a trip of a lifetime, everyone will be so jealous, but will believe you.”

"Then there is all the official stuff, tax, national insurance, bank accounts, driving licence and things like that.”

"That is even easier, you just become me until you find a way to sort documents out for yourself. I will not be working and will have no need for unemployment benefits, so I can just fade away officially for a while. Do I have to do all your thinking for you?”

"I’ll never get away with it, one day at the interview was easy, but I don’t know if I could keep it up for two or three years, and don’t think I want to live as a woman for that long.”

"Just think about it, before you do anything rash, it’s all up to you, but whatever you decide I’ll do everything I can to support you.”

“ Ok Josie, one way or the other I will sort things out here, you just take care, and don’t worry about me, it would not be good for your baby..”

“Thanks for that. You know what, you haven’t said anything like that to me for ages, living as a woman is bringing out a nicer side of you.”

I needed to clear my head and get my thoughts together and went out for a walk in the park, sitting watching the swans and ducks on the lake always helped to relax me. Passing the café, I decided to pop in to see if Karen was about and was met with a big smile from her.

"Hi Jo, Jen told me that she had met you on the bus a few times and that you would be in touch, it is great to see you again. I am just getting ready to close up, have a coffee while you are waiting and then we can sit and have a chat when all the customers have gone.”

She soon closed the door, tidied up and brought over some freshly-brewed coffee and a selection of cakes.

"Just help yourself to what you fancy, take some home if you want, we make them fresh every day and if you don’t want them they will only go in the bin. What have you been up to lately Jo, give me all the gossip?”

"I have been helping out in my friends hairdressers shop for a few days while I am waiting for the outcome of a job I have applied for, ‘Susie’s Hair and Beauty’, do you know it. “

"Jen told me that she had been in for a makeover on Friday and suggested that I try it, but I can’t really afford those little luxuries, every spare penny I have goes on Marianne.”

“Let me have a word with Susie, I am sure that we can sort something out for you, it will do you good to have a bit of ‘me-time’, I know that Jen felt a lot better after her sessions with us.”

"That is so kind, but I’m not playing for sympathy, I stand on my own two feet.”

"I didn’t mean it like that, you deserve a bit of pampering, and having friends in the right places is what life is all about. Your main job is being a good mother to Marianne, but you should have a bit of time for yourself as well, and a couple of hours in the salon will do your confidence a world of wonders.”

"I tell you what, Jen is coming over to mine tonight, she knows I can’t get out much so she comes round when she can, why not join us?”

"If you’re sure that I am not interrupting your family time, I would love to, is about 7:30 ok? Give me your address and I will see you there later.”

As I walked home I was beginning to clear my head, a night with Karen and Jen would be a good test of whether I could really fit in with female company. When we were at university I often went out with Josie and her friends and was used to the general social chit-chat without feeling awkward or out of the conversations, even when the drifted into discussing periods and feminine hygiene and benefits of various types of underwear. They made very few allowances for me, although a lot of the more lurid details about times with their boyfriends were left until I was not around. At first some of their chat had embarrassed me, but I soon realised that they were just talking about things that were important to them.

Remembering what Susie had told me at the start of all this about needing to emphasise my femininity more than most girls who had a lifetime of experiences and learning how to behave, I decided to wear a skirt and blouse rather than something more casual, even though it was just to be a night in at Karen’s. I styled my hair and freshened my make-up and was soon ready to go. As Josie had given me her permission, I dug out her driving licence, put it in my purse and decided to drive to Karen’s as it would be a lot easier than taking two buses. Also it would be a lot safer going back home rather than having to deal with drunks and unwanted attention as a lone woman on a late night bus.

"Oh, Jo, you are looking so smart, you have made an effort, you make me feel a bit dowdy and lazy sitting here in my leggings and jumper.”

"Why don’t you treat this as a bit of a night out with the girls, go and put on a bit of slap and something more dressy, I will listen out for Marianne and take care of her if she wakes up and starts crying.”

“That sounds like fun if you don’t mind me leaving you, Jen should be here soon anyway.”

She soon came back looking much more her age, rather than a worn-out mum, having put on a figure-hugging dress and full make-up.”

"That’s a lot better, you are gorgeous when you make an effort, I know that you don’t want to waste too much time when you are only going to work, but a little bit of mascara, eye-liner and lipstick would give you a lot more confidence dealing with your customers.”

"Wow,"gasped Jen when she arrived, "Just look at you two, I didn’t know that this was supposed to be a dressy do.”

"We just thought that it was about time that Karen was ‘Karen’, rather than ‘Marianne’s mum’, I have brought a couple of bottles of wine and some popcorn, crisps, chocolates and stuff, let’s all have a night out, but in the house.”

We had a really enjoyable evening, reminiscing about our school days, Karen going through the highs and lows of her marriage, separation, and the struggles of being a single-mum, Jen giving us a rough outline of her Friday night out, me telling them about my (or rather Josie’s) time at university, the interview and job offer from the museum and how Joey was thinking about going off on a gap year or two. I really fitted in and was comfortable with the girls, they just accepted me as Jo.

“Thank you so much for coming round see Karen, the night has really brightened her up, she gets a bit lonely sometimes and needs to be pushed to make an effort. I try my best with her but a fresh face has made all the difference. We will have to do this again if that is ok with you."Jen told me as I was driving her home.

"I enjoyed it too, it is a long while since I have been out with the girls. Maybe next time, we will see if we can get a babysitter for Marianne and take Karen out somewhere.”

I got home , kicked off my shoes and sat down with a glass of wine, and came to a decision. I had passed the test I had set for myself and was going to to accept the job offer and become Jo for the immediate future.

To be continued.

up
187 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Had a Feeling

That Joey would become Jo and take the job. It’s really nice to see Jo making new friends and fitting in. Is the baby’s name a little tribute to another author on this site?

Jo making new friends and fitting in

Jo had to take the job, I've got lots more chapters to post yet ! It raises the question as to how far any of us would go if the incentive was big enough.

No homage to Marianne was intended, although I have read and enjoyed many of her stories. My problem is that there are so many excellent authors of very readable stories on this site that it is impossible to keep up with every one of them, or visit their back-numbers, in the time available after real-life demands and the time spent on my own stories.

Gill xx

Soft

BarbieLee's picture

Ms Chambers, there is that feeling of being in a pillow fight again. Darn woman, your writing isn't only softly done but expressed softly in the style you write. Beautiful chapter with tons of feel good emotions dripping from same.
Juanita sends me jokes and pictures of her flowers from time to time. I truly need her giving me a pickup. Your writing does that also.
Hugs Gillian
Barb
Life is a gift, don't waste it wishing. If there is something worth while one wants, go for it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

pillow fight material

As you often say Barb, my stories are mostly soft and sentimental. Although there is an occasional hint to violence or sexual activity, I try to keep away from being explicit, it is not my life or literary style. I'm glad that my stories give you a pickup and smooth the way through life's choppy waters.

Gill xx

And away we go...

Dee Sylvan's picture

Another great chapter, Gill. I especially like the way that you let the story evolve on its own. Joey was careful, but not necessarily frightened about truly becoming 'Jo' but knowing he would be working in an all-woman environment, his part-time work at Susie's salon was a perfect test. I wonder if his reconnection with Karen will turn into something more than just friendship? :DD

DeeDee

Away we go

Many thanks DeeDee.
As you picked up Joey's worries are that he would not be convincing, be outed, and be an embarassment to everyone. His work with the girls in the salon and his times with Jen and Karen seem to have convinced him that his dream job was really possible.The next chapter opens up all sorts of possibilities for him, or should that now be for her?

Gill xx

She/her

Dee Sylvan's picture

Those are the pronouns I would use from now on. There are a lot of women in Jo's life now. Susie has been a great friend and mentor, is there an attraction there? Karen is an amazing women that Jo has become good friends with too, a must in any meaningful relationship. Then there are all the women she will be working with in her new job. Lots of possibilities, but I think Jo needs to focus on her 'dream job' first and the rest will follow. Can't wait to see what's next for our blossoming archeologist. :DD

DeeDee

Oh what a tangled web..

Lucy Perkins's picture

If Jo decides to impersonate Josie all the time, she is going to fall foul of officialdom at some point. Tax, National Insurance, ugh, they are complicated enough without paying them for the wrong person.
Personally, I think Jo would be better telling the museum that she is transgender. They would probably be happy to hire her for the same reason they wanted a woman.
Another lovely chapter, Gill. Jo is really embracing her femininity. Well, why wouldn't you?
Lucy xx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Be patient

A bit of patience please Lucy, all will come out in the wash as the saying goes. Let Jo get her feet under the table, or down on the ground with a trowel, before major decisions have to be made.

Gill xx

The Paperwork

joannebarbarella's picture

If that's what you still call it in this computer age, is crucial. With Josie's connivance Joe can get away with it, and once it's in the system nobody ever looks at it again, as long as a photo-ID "proves" you are who you say you are.

And the longer that Joe is Josie then the more he will become her until there is only one.