The Black Sword. chapter- 2

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 2
Dungeon cell, Location Unknown, Time Unknown.

David Pendragon sr. slowly woke up as if from a six-week drunken bender. He even had the hangover head to go with it. “Oh damn. What the hell happened?”

“Don’t ask me Professor. One minute we were in the restoration lab and your kid was handling that black bastard sword. The next thing I know some fucked up God opened a hole in the universe that sucked us all in.” Dale Grant groaned from his place next to the back wall. “What the fuck did you bring into my lab Pendragon?”

“To be honest with you, Dale. I got no fucking idea. In twenty-two years of studying medieval weapons and the Arthurian legends. I’ve never had shit like this happen to me before or in any of my research labs.” David answered him honestly. David looked around the cell before asking his next question. “Any idea of where we are other than what looks like a fifteenth century dungeon.”

“Not a clue David. I woke up in here the same as you. Lee, Mike, and Tony are across the hallway. As for your son and wife I haven’t heard anything.” Dale sat up straight and gave David a harsh look. “Though from what I’ve seen of the guards. I would say that we are no longer in Kansas.”

“Oh shit. We fell through a space/time rift. That’s the only explanation, Dale.” David said as he stood up and examined the iron grating over the cell’s entrance. “This is mid-twelfth century iron work.”

“I kind of figure that out already. Though that is not our biggest problem. Wait until you see our guards. Full twelfth-century chainmail armor. I’m talking leggings, tunic, coif, and nasal helmet with surcoat.” Dale told him bluntly. Dale dropped his voice just above a whisper. “The real kicker is all the guards are women, David. If I didn’t know better. I would swear we were on the legendary Isle of Themyscira. That or Avalon.”

“Dale if we truly have fallen through a space/time rift. I would have to place my money on Avalon. From what you’ve told me. Our guards have a more medieval European influence than Greek or Minoan. Did the surcoats have a gray wolf’s head on them?” David asked his fellow researcher.

“Now that you mention it. They did. Why?” Dale asked.

“That settles it. We’re on the Island of Avalon. At least Kathern, and Lisa are safe. The Gray Wolf Order is one of the more progress Chivalric Orders from the King Arthur legends. It may not be as famous as the Round Table Knights, but they were just as deadly. If not more so.” David chuckled. “Looks like Kathy finally got her confirmation after all this time.”

“What’s that supposed to mean David?” Dale asked him.

“The Order of the Gray Wolf was an order of knights made up of nothing but women and led by Morgana Le Fey, Dale. For the last twenty years she has been searching for proof that they actually existed. That the order wasn’t some fantasy dreamed up by the suffragettes of the nineteenth century and Victoria England. Kathy has found more suits of plate armor for females than any other expert in her field.” David chuckled as Dale facepalmed. “But the one coat of arms she has never been able to find is for the Order of the Gray Wolf.”

“Shut thy mouth man!” A guard shouted from down the corridor.

“Damn talk about the unfriendly type.” David whispered.

“Be thankful she didn’t come down here and beat on the cell bars.” Dale whispered back. “They use an iron bar. Talk about loud.”

“Oy! I thought you men were told to shut yer mouths.” A guard snarled as she passed the cell door while banging on the bars with an iron club. Both men grabbed their ears to try and deafen the clanging ring in them. The female guard just smiled at their response and walked on. It took David a few seconds to regain his hearing and to figure out what was going on.

Keeping his voice David moved next to Dale. “The bars are magically charged.” Dale gave his cell mate a look of disbelief, but David just waved at the room around them. “Hit them with an iron bar you get a painful ringing in the ears.”

“Yeh I just figured that out myself.” Dale whispered then grimaced. “Though I never thought that I would actually be giving credit for something to magic.”

“Trust me old man. You’re not the only one. I know that there is a reasonable scientific explanation for what’s going on.” David told his coworker then looked around the cell. “But right now, I can’t think of one.”

“I know what you mean David. Space/time rifts just don’t happen out of nowhere like that. I mean where the fuck was the collapsing star or blackhole. Hell, I tried to put it down as a quasar gone rogue for that matter.” Dale pulled his phone out of his pocket. “Then I took a look at my phone. Deader than old man Morehouse. I know that I left the house with a full charge this morning. Its normally good for twelve to fourteen hours. What about yours?”

David hadn’t even thought to look at his phone until now. When he did he had to fight to keep the frown off his face. “The same. Another thing if we were in a more advanced civilization the guards would have secured our phones. They just left them with us. If I didn’t know any better I would swear our guards didn’t know what they were to begin with in the first place.”

“That’s something else David. Remember when I said that all of our guards were women?” Dale asked him. David just nodded his head in response. “Well, I got a theory about that. I got this sinking feeling that this society is a Matriarchal Militaristic Monarchy. At least one that is based off the old legends concerning female knights of the twelfth through fifteenth centuries.”

“Well, there have always been the stories of wondering females knights. Then there are the historical accounts of Margaret of Anjou, Joan of Arc, Nicholaa de la Haye, and the Consorores of the Teutonic Order. Just to name a few. We also have the fantasy knights like Emelyn the Widow, Miriela the Black, Oriholt the Orange, and Thiphania the Divine for starters. If you want I can name at least another twenty legendary female knights. Though there is one that we need to truly worry about right now.” David told his cellmate quietly. “Morgana Le Fey.”

“Okay care to fill me in on your thoughts, David?” Dale asked.

“The scabbard for that black sword we were examining had runes etched in it saying that it and the sword belonged to Morgana Le Fey. Which can mean serious trouble for us.” David turn thoughtful as he laid out his thoughts and feelings. “I just hope like hell one of the legends concerning the woman is just that a legend.”

“Okay what are you going on about here David?” Dale asked him quickly.

“The Legend of the Gray Wolf Knights. That is our greatest worry Dale.” David sighed. “Right now, I wish that Kathy was here. This is more her area of expertise.”

“Just who are these Gray Wolf Knights David?” Dale asked him.

“You’ve heard about the Red and Black Griffins of the Germanic Empire during the fifteenth century right?” Dale nodded his head yes to David’s question. “Well, those two Chivalric Orders were way head of their times. At least everyone thought so anyway. You see they would take orphans of both sexes and train them to be armored knights. Granted the two Orders were mercenary orders but they were still fully trained knights. Some of the most sought after in all of Europe. The problem with that line of think is the fact that the Gray Wolf Order had started the practice more than three hundred years before them. Only the Wolves picked nothing but girls for their recruits.”

“Okay wait a minute here David. Weren’t the Gray Wolves supposed to be a protective order for Camelot?” Dale asked him.

“That is another misconception. The Gray Wolf Order were the protectors of Avalon, not Camelot. That duty fell to King Arthur’s Knight of the Round Table.” David corrected his friend. At Dale’s look of confusion David knew he would have to explain further. “Dale contrary to popular belief Avalon and Camelot were not the same place or within the same kingdom.”

“That goes against everything that is accepted by modern Arthurian scholars. Are you sure about this David?” Dale asked with surprise.

“It’s all there in mine and Kathy’s research Dale. Not to mention more than a dozen ancient books and legends. While Avalon was Arthur’s final resting place, it was not his kingdom. Avalon was ruled by his sister Morgana, and she had her own Chivalric Order to defend her nation. If anyone were to really look at the legends surrounding the two kingdoms they would find that contrary to belief Morgana Le Fey wasn’t the backstabbing bitch she has been portrayed as by certain male academics. Granted she was a woman of immense power, but she wasn’t a some dirty, rotten, evil bitch. In truth Morgana was both a trusted confidante, and advisor to King Arthur. Though some believe she was even more than that. They believe that she was the first among his Round Table Knights ahead of Lancelot. The first real proof of that legend is that black sword and scabbard.” David wanted to laugh his ass off just then. “If Kathy was in here with us she would be saying I told you so.”

“If what you’re saying is true. Then there was two Chivalric Orders protecting Camelot. One of which swore their loyalty to Morgana over Arthur.” Dale whispered.

“Yup. That’s exactly what I’m saying. The crazy thing is my wife has been trying to prove her theory for twenty years. That sword and scabbard were the final pieces of the puzzle for her. She would have turned the academic world on its head. I doubt that she’ll ever get the chance to make the great changes that were within her grasp at last.” David sighed.

“What do you mean David?”

“Unless we can open a space/time rift back to our own world Dale. We’re stuck here. I don’t know about you, but my theoretical quantum physics is a little thin.” David grunted as he looked towards the cell entrance.

“You do have a point. I’m no theoretical physicist, let alone mathematician. Give me a piece of metal and I can forge it into a sword, shield, knife, or suit of armor. Ask me how a piece of armor was made, and I can tell you exactly when, where, and what methods were used. It doesn’t matter if it’s chainmail or plate armor. The same can be said for swords or any other weapon.” Dale chuckled as he listed his qualifications. “What I want to know about is that black sword that has you so worked up. What’s the deal with monster? It’s nothing more than a normal bastard.”

“Dale have you ever heard of the Seven Great Holy Swords?” David asked him.

“Sure. There isn’t a Historical Arms Professor that hasn’t heard about them. Why?” Dale asked David honestly.

“According to your son that black bastard sword could very well be the lost Seventh Holy Sword of Lucifer.” David told him much to Dale’s surprise.

“Please tell me that you’re pulling my leg David.” Dale begged.

“I wish that I was pulling your leg partner. I overheard junior call it Stormbringer right before that space/time rift opened. Does that name have any meaning for you?” David asked his cellmate honestly.

“Oh shit. You could say that name has meaning. According to legend the first individual to wield that sword was the Archangel Lucifer Morningstar before his fall from grace. It is the weapon of the Eternal Champion. It is said to be both a Holy and cursed weapon of power. Its greatest power is the soul devouring aspect of the weapon. It doesn’t matter the shape or form of the weapon. Whoever that weapon kills it will devour their soul passing on the individuals life force to the wielder.” Dale explained softly with a good deal of fear. “The Black Bastard Sword is its most common form.”

“Well according to one of the legends surrounding Morgana Le Fey she wielded a solid black sword of unearthly power. Her armor was said to shine like gold but was stronger than the finest steel of the day. Those were just her everyday mortal protections. When you add in the fact that she was supposed to be the greatest magical user second only to Merlin. Well, you get the picture. Though if you add in the legends that say Morgana was the first daughter of Oberon and Titania. You have to shift your thinking.” David told Dale plainly. “Mainly because that would make Morgana a daughter of the High Elves Gods.”

“Damn. Talk about your one-eighty in thinking. Though our biggest problem right now is getting out of this cell.” Dale pointed out.

“We have to deal with more than just that my friend. There is how do we free your son, Mike, and Tony. We also have to find my son, wife, and Linette. For some reason I got the feeling that we’ll find my wife and Linette somewhere in the castle. As for my son. Wherever he is, is anybody’s guess.” David told Dale with a frown.

“Why do you say that David? Wouldn’t he be here in the castle like the rest of us?” Dale asked him in confusion.

“Remember something Dale. If that sword truly is Stormbringer it is alive, self-aware, and has a will of its own. It has a habit of doing whatever it takes to protect its current wielder.” David whispered to his lab partner.

“And it’s in the hands of your son.” Dale whispered in shocked realization.

Elsewhere deep within an ancient forest.

David Pendragon junior woke to the sounds of birds chirping and insects buzzing around his head. “Oh man. What the hell hit me?”

As he sat up David found that his vision was fuzzy and slightly block by something white. Thinking it might be a thick cobweb David ran his hand over his face. As he touched the white stuff he realized that it was hair. Not just any hair but his own. With a flip of his hand David moved it from in front of his eyes. Looking around him David realized a few things right off the bat. The first was that he was no longer in the restoration lab. Second he was no longer even in Colorado. The last was that his hair was now as long as his mother’s. David finally looked down at the black sword in his hand.

“What the fuck did you do?” Not really expecting an answer David asked the glowing blade then snarked. “Feeling home sick asshole?”

“I have only fulfilled my promise to my first mistress mortal.” The voice that came from the sword was eerily feminine and beautiful at the same time.

“What the fucking hell?! You talked!” David shouted as he dropped the bastard sword and backed away as fast as possible from it.

“Of course, I can talk you foolish male. I am an extension of the Light Bringer. I embody the iron will of the Emerald Queen. I am the first daughter of the Dragon Sword. I have served six of the last eight Eternal Champions. I am the Devourer of Souls and Slayer of Kin. I am Stormbringer.” With each word spoken by the sword a ghostly white female slowly took form in the air above the massive bastard sword. “I warn you now moral. If you fail to meet my hunger I will feast on you.”

“Why do I have a feeling that you’re not talking about just my soul here?” David asked with a quiver of fear in his voice.

“It seems that you’re not a totally ignorant male after all.” The ghostly figure chuckled evilly. “Even Lucifer gave over to his feminine side to control my hunger.”

David’s fear at hearing those words forced him to look back down at his hands once more. For some reason they appeared to be both thinner and paler. His skin seemed almost porcelain in color. Between the color of his skin and hair David had a sinking feeling. Picking up the bastard sword he asked. “Okay lady. Seeing as how you’re the one who most likely brought us here I got two questions. Where exactly are we? And where’s the nearest drinkable water?”

“There is a still pond no more than fifty paces beyond the tree directly in front of you. As for where we are the answer is simple. Welcome to the Isle of Avalon and this is the Forest of Ravenswood. Be warry boy. The beasts in this part of the woods are known to enjoy the flesh of men. The flesh of a young male virgin is a delicacy.” The spirit form of Stormbringer was almost giggling at the blush that came to David’s face. “You cannot hide your innermost secrets from me boy. Only two Champions have ever been able to withstand my probes of their souls.”

“Who would they be Stormbringer?” David asked as he worked his way through the trees and underbrush of the woods to the water.

“Just the two greatest and strongest of my wielders. Elric of Melniboné, the Albino Emperor, and Morgana Le Fey the Emerald Queen. Compared to them you are but a mindless gnat buzzing around the Eternal Flames of Balance.” Stormbringer chuckled. “Though you hold something that few Champions every do. Unlimited potential.”

“Whatever. Right now, I just want some cool water to drink and get my bearings. After that I’ll figure out my next move. Like finding my parents and the others that were in the restoration lab.” David grumbled.

“That potential could make you one of the greatest Champions of all time child. Do you not want fame and fortune?” Stormbringer asked in mild surprise.

“Fame and fortune doesn’t pay the bills sister.” David grunted. “Speaking of sisters. You said that you were the Daughter of the Dragon Sword. I thought that the all of the Black Swords were males?”

“Ah! I see that once again the egos of men have distorted the truth. I was the first sword forged from the Dragon Sword. While my twin brother Mournblade was the second sword forged from the Dragon Sword. Understand mortal that for each black sword there is an opposite twin. Both in alignment and sex. We are the embodiment of Balance. Good and Evil. Male and female. Law and chaos. Thus was the way of our makers the Nihrain. Even our brothers and sisters among the Seven Holy Swords follow these ideals. Only I and my twins stand apart from the Seven.” Stormbringer bragged.

“What can you tell me about these Seven Holy Swords? Oh, by the way do you have an actual name? Other than Stormbringer I mean.” David asked the ghostly figure.

“I do but you have yet to earn the right to hear it.” Stormbringer chuckled. “For now, you can just call me Storm.”

“Talk about avoiding the topic.” David grumbled as Stormbringer just chuckled. David spotted the small clearing with a pond in the center just as he took his forty-nineth step. “Finally. I thought I’d never get through that brush.”

“You could have cleared a path with but a single stroke of my blade child.” Stormbringer chuckled. “Why did you fight your way through?”

“No offence lady, but until I figure out the rules around this crazy place. I’m not going to use you unless I absolutely have too.” David grunted as he looked down at his pale white hands and lower arms. “I have this unsettling feeling that every time I draw on your power it’ll cost me something.”

“Ah, ha. You’ve hit upon the first part of the curse. While I give you the power and lifeforce of your enemies. I take part of your lifeforce in exchange.” Stormbringer almost giggled at the look of fear that crossed David’s face.

“Thanks for the heads up there Storm. Though I would love to know how you pulled us from modern day Colorado to what did you call it? Avalon?” David asked her as he kneeled down next to the still pool of water.

Before she could answer David a voice called out from deep in the woods. “Is that you David? Where are you?”

“Over here mom. Just follow the sound of my voice. I think you’re about ten to fifteen yards due east from me in the wood line.” David called out to his mother.

“I give you fair warning man child. Say nothing of our discussion to your mother or anyone else. Break our trust. I will end her life.” With that Stormbringer vanished back into the bastard sword.

“Talk about death threats at the point of a sword.” David chuckled before he turned to look at himself in the still water. What he saw there brought high pitched scream of terror from the depths of his very soul. “OOOHHH FFFUUUCCCKKK!”

When his mother found him a seconds later David was sobbing into his hands. Not that she was sure that the young man before her was actually her son to being with. What she found was a young albino with long white hair down to the middle of his back slumped over on the ground. The only clue to the boy’s identity was the black bastard sword laying on the ground before him. As Kathern helped the boy to his feet she noticed right away that he suffered from albinism. This was the reason for his pale flesh, hair white, and deep crimson eyes. He also very tall, slender to the point of gauntness, yet elegantly muscled. His face was so beautiful that it also held an elegant hint of femininity about it. With just a little makeup Kathern knew that this boy would make a gorgeous woman.

“David is this really you?” Kathern asked the boy calmly.

“Yeah mom it’s me. Though I don’t know what’s happened to me.” David answered honestly before he looked up at his mother. “But I got to ask. Is that you?”

Kathern looked down into the still pool of water and gasped. “Oh my. If I didn’t know better. I would swear that I was looking at the face of Morgana Le Fey.” Kathern chuckled softly. “At least the one from legend.”

“Mom for some reason I got this feeling that your new face is that of Morgana.” David told her with a chuckle as he took in her new appearance. His mother’s hair now reached down to the middle of her thighs and was the deepest crimson. Her skin had become the palest of porcelain in color. Her once brown eyes were now the deepest emerald green. Everything about the woman before him screamed royalty. Not just any royalty but the Emerald Queen of the Fey. “With the exception of your clothes mom. I swear that I was looking at Morgana Le Fey straight out of legend.”

“You have no place to talk David. With those crimson eyes and pale porcelain skin. I would swear that I was gazing upon the last Emperor of Melniboné, the Dragon Empire Elric.” Kathern then looked her son in the face. “Or is that Empress?”

“No mom. I’m all male.” David told her as he stood up slowly. As he picked up Stormbringer he looked down at himself. “Though for how much longer I’m not sure.”

“There have always been hints concerning the Melniboné, and the Melnibonéans as bring the first true inhabitants of Avalon. The legends surrounding Avalon are shrouded by both mystery and time. As much as you admire Michael Moorcock’s books he got a great deal of the legends surrounding the Melnibonéan race wrong.” Kathern grinned as she thought about her own studies into the legends of Avalon.

“How so mom?” David asked in surprise.

“Well for starters they weren’t the humanoid descendants of dragons but Aos si or Sídhe in the more common tongue. Nor were they the monsters that he described. They were not the so called depraved and decadent race he envisioned for his readers. They were in truth a peaceful and benevolent race of teachers, mages, not to mention merchants. That didn’t mean they lacked military might. Their army and navy were without equal. The Melnibonéans even had an air force composed of dragons. That was one thing that Moorcock got right about them anyway. On the other hand, there is something else that Moorcock got wrong about them. They weren’t military conquerors but explorers.” Kathern explained for her befuddled son. “Though I really cannot blame him for some of his misconceptions. The legends of Avalon and Melniboné have often been mixed together.”

“Mom I got to ask you a question. It centers around the legends that concern Morgana being the first daughter of Oberon and Titania. Could the legends of the Melnibonéans being the first citizens of Avalon be the foundation for that legend?” David asked.

“Until now David I would have automatically discredited that theory.” Kathern told her son before looking back down at the still water. “However, concerning recent developments, I would have to agree with your hypothesis. David what would you say if I told that there is an obscure text written more than eight-hundred years ago concern the Dragon Empire and its first Emperors?”

“Depends on what that text said mom. I know that you and dad are currently the top Arthurian experts. Though what the Dragon Empire and King Arthur have in common is beyond my grasp. I mean one is said to have happened before recorded history and the other around the time of the Roman Empire or fifteenth century.” David answered her with a sigh. “Depending on who you ask.”

“The legend of Avalon goes further back than most Professors wish to admit to David. Some Historians say that it was this legend that drove the Emperor Tiberius Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus to conquer Britain in search of Avalon. Remember David Avalon is said to be the home of the greatest magic users in history. With Merlin and Morgana being among their number. Though who the most powerful of mages is still up for debate. Personally, I believe that it was a woman, the Queen Tatiana. With Morgana Le Fey and her cousin Princess Cymoril of Melniboné close behind her.” Kathern sighed. “But once again. I have lacked the proof to validate my theory.”

“I think we’ll finally have the proof you need mom.” David chuckled as he lifted Stormbringer in his hand. “This bad girl alone would be enough to prove that the two legends are actually tied together.”

“You, there! By command of the Royal Guard! Lay down your weapons and do not move!” Though the voice was that of a woman it spoke with real authority. “This is your only warning and chance to surrender!”

“Mom I suggest that you move back out of the away.” David ordered his mother as he took up an on-guard position with Stormbringer. “No need for you to get mixed up in this mess. There can’t be more than five or six of them.”

“Be careful David. Remember David this isn’t a Ren-Fare exhibition.” Kathern warned as she stepped back out her son’s way. She knew that David was an expert with the broad, long, and two-hand sword. Her only concern was the fact that he was using a weapon he wasn’t familiar with, the bastard sword.

“Don’t worry mom. I know this isn’t an exhibition. I figure they’ll show themselves any minute now. That or they’re trying to bluff their way out of a confrontation.” David snarled as he looked towards where the voice came from. “Show yourselves.”

Even as the first of the six individuals stepped out of the wood line Stormbringer began to glow with an unearthly bluish light. David felt a small smile of cruelty slowly come to his face. He knew that Stormbringer was effecting his attitude towards combat. He didn’t care if he killed these people. Only that they feed their souls to his cursed sword and gave him their power. A slight humming soon came from Stormbringer as more knights stepped out of the woods. By the time they had fully shown themselves there was ten individual knights standing before David in full plate armor. Kathern spotted the crest of the Gray Wolf Order in the glow of Stormbringer. The sight of those knights brought a touch of fear for her child to Kathern’s heart. Yet it also brought a barely control rage over the disrespect.

“David they’re members of the Gray Wolf Order. Show them no mercy.” She snarled knowing full well that she just sentenced these women to death. As a student of history and legend she knew the power that her son now wielded in the form of Stormbringer. She knew that her son, David Arthur Pendragon junior, was the newest incarnation of the Eternal Champion and his weapon was the Black Sword Stormbringer.

As she watched her son approach the patrol Kathern suddenly had a vision of her child’s future. She knew that David would become known as Woman Slayer, the White Wolf, Kin slayer, the Black Dragon Knight, and Pale Ruler of Ruins. Though in her vision it was not her son who held these titles but a daughter of fantastic power. The vision was so strong that it forced her to the ground on her knees as shock and realization that each time her son used Stormbringer the price would be more than just the loss of his humanity. He would slowly lose his manhood until he became a woman over time and there was nothing she could do to change this fate. Her attention was drawn to Stormbringer by a mournful cry from the sword. Before she could warn David he charged the gathered knights.

Even as they stepped out of the woods David recognized the coat of arms these knights wore. They all belonged to the Order of the Gray Wolf. He slowly stroked the cross guard to the hilt of the bastard sword with an ever-growing feral smile. At his mother’s order he charged the knights fully intent upon killing them all with an unholy howl of glee. “Blood! Blood and souls I give you to Stormbringer!”

David didn’t know what had come over him as he hacked and slashed his way through the first five knights. With each knight that fell to his attacks David felt a rush of power from Stormbringer. What he didn’t realize was that with each knight he killed more of his humanity and manhood was given up in exchange for the power of Stormbringer. When there was only two of the Gray Wolf knights left standing they called for a halt to their battle.

“Hold! Sir Knight! Stay your hand and that demonic blade! We yield!” The leader of the patrol called out just as David sliced through her sword.

David blinked his eyes then had to fight with Stormbringer to keep from killing the woman. Looking back at the two women David snarled. “You attacked us first. Now you call hold! I should slay you for your cowardice alone!”

“David Arthur Pendragon! You will stay that accursed blade this instant!” Kathern shouted from her place on the ground behind him. As much as David wanted to kill the last two remaining knights before he backed away at his mother’s command. Still seething with a barely control bloodlust David knew that his mother had her reasons for stopping him. Kathern gave him her most regal stair as she gave him her next command. “Sheath your blade my child!”

“Um… only one problem with that mom. I don’t have the sheath that was found with this beast.” David murmured only to have his mother point to the ground next to his feet. “Where the hell did that come from?”

“Just use it, David. Put Stormbringer away for now. I believe that these knights can lead us to your father and the rest of the restoration lab’s staff.” Kathern informed her child with a small smile. “You there remove your helm.”

The knight that she addressed removed her helmet then dropped the ground kneeling before Kathern with her head bowed. “Queen Morgana please forgive our impudence. We did not realize that you had returned to us. How may we atone for our disgraceful behavior towards you and your Champion?”

“Mom what the fuck is going on?” David whispered from behind her in surprise.

“Let’s just say that I’m using our current appearance to avoid further fighting.” Kathern whispered in response. “Though I wasn’t expecting this kind of reaction.”

“Mom you should have expected this type of reaction. Between the two of us. You do fit the legendary descriptions of Morgana Le Fey down to the last detail.” David whispered. “If this truly is the legendary Isle of Avalon and these women are the descendants of the Gray Wolf knights. Then you would be seen as their greatest Queen reincarnated. Much the way King Arthur would be seen by the English.”

“You do have a point David.” Kathern sighed as she recognized his reasoning. She also decided to avoid the sound of her child’s voice. Gone was the once heavy male baritone to be replaced with a soft feminine soprano.

Kathern could also tell that her son had lost even more of his manhood to use the power of Stormbringer in the short combat. His face had already taken on an even more feminine appearance and as much as she wanted to ignore the fact so had his body. She could almost swear that he now had budding breasts on his chest and wider hips. His arms and shoulders were definitely thinner and more elegant.

As David buckled the scabbard’s belt around his Kathern noticed that his hips were indeed wider and his waist smaller. Her son was already gaining an hourglass figure. After seeing what just one fight had done to her son Kathern wondered how much longer it would be before he was no longer male. Her vision of the future showed her child adorned in the black dragon armor of the Melnibonéans. This unsettled her more than the loss of his manhood. For it meant he could very well lose his humanity. Kathern was brought out of her depressing thoughts by the commander of the patrol.

“My Queen we have long awaited your return from the Mountain Mists of Avalon. Have you finished your quest for the Lords of Law and Chaos, my Queen?” The knight asked with her head bowed in respect.

“That is none of your concern dog. What is your concern is I have need of information. There were five men accompanying me. They have disappeared. Do you have knowledge of them?” Kathern demanded shocked by her own lack of human emotion. For some reason Kathern knew that she too was being affected by this strange world.

“Majesty we did find five male strangers earlier this morning in the royal gardens. The Grand Mistress had them secured in the castle’s upper dungeon.” The woman answered with a shiver of fear in her voice. Whoever this woman was she was more than their Queen returned to lead them. This woman radiated with a power unlike any of the great sorceress queens of Avalon. There was also the fact that this woman was accompanied by a male champion of the Pendragon bloodline. Though she wasn’t too sure about the male part of that thought.

“How far away is the castle Dame knight?” Kathern coldly demanded.

“It’s not but half a league my Queen.” The female knight answered quickly.

“That’s about a mile and a half mom.” David said from behind her. “About an hour’s walk or thirty minutes by horseback.”

“Well, I don’t feel like walking right now.” Kathern snarled then looked down at the two knights. “Where are your patrol’s horses?”

“Just beyond the wood line due west of here on the trail my Queen.” The knight answered again. “Might I make a suggestion?”

“What?” Kathern snarled.

“We send Dame Bridget ahead of us to warn the castle of our approach.” The knight knew that with most of her contingent lying dead around her the castle’s defenders would not think twice about attacking them. The thought of this Lady’s champion defending her brought a chill to her spine. She could see the bloodshed brought about this formidable knight as surely as she could see her mother’s face in her mind’s eye. Then there was the wildcard that the Lady herself represented.

“Send her. Understand that if I see one knight in ambush bitch. I swear by all that is Holy and damned. I’ll burn that castle to its foundations as I feed the souls therein to my sword.” David snarled as Stormbringer hummed.

“Go Bridget. Make haste to the Grand Mistress. Inform her of what we have found here.” The knight ordered her companion. Dame Bridget wasted no time in hurrying to find her horse. She knew that her mission was now to save her fellow knights in the Gray Wolf Order. The threat made by the Lady’s Champion was not one that she could ignore. She had already witnessed the power of that weapon firsthand.

Kathern looked down at the remaining knight coldly asking. “What is your name Dame?”

“I am known as Mylisant of the Spring, my Queen.” Mylisant answered quickly.

“Thank you, Dame Mylisant. First you should know that I am not your Queen returned. My name is Kathern Pendragon, and this is my son David.” Kathern explained only to stop at the look Mylisant was giving David. “Yes he is a man.”

“I do not mean to doubt your word Lady Kathern.” Mylisant began as she looked at David calmly. “But you’ll have great difficulty in convincing the rest of the court that your Champion is male. Not with her fine features and graceful movements. It well be hard enough to convince the Grand Marshall that you mean us no harm being a Pendragon. That is unless you are of Arthur and Morgana’s line.”

“Why is that Dame Mylisant?” David asked her.

“You carry the Black Sword of the Eternal Champion and your mother reeks of ancient and long forgotten mystical power. Power that has not been seen sense before Morgana herself last walked this isle.” Mylisant looked David dead in the eyes sense their fight for the first time. “You would do well to heed my warning young mistress. Keep that accursed sword of yours sheathed unless challenged directly by one of my Order. Only the Grand Mistress knows that blade by sight. She would send my whole Order against you in a useless attempt to control you and its power.”

“Let them come. I’ll feed their souls to Stormbringer as easily as I did your fellow knights here this day.” David snarled then gave the Dame a hard look. “And it’s Mister or young man. Not Mistress! Got that?!”

“David as much as I hate to say this, but we may have to shift our thoughts on that matter. Before you raise hell with me. Go look in the pool once more.” Kathern ordered her child coldly. “You’ll understand what I’m talking about.”

David sighed and did as he was told. One look in the pool of still water was all he needed to understand what his mother was getting at. In less than an hour his face had taken on the appearance of a teenage girl. “Oh shit. I look like Tiffany’s baby sister. Only with white hair and red eyes.”

“Exactly. I hate to tell you this David, but I have a feeling that you’ll soon be my youngest daughter. That sword of yours is taking as much from you as it is giving.” Kathern explained slowly for her child. “I fear that it needs its wielder to have the body of a female to tap into its true power.”

“As much as I hate to say this you’re probably right mom. I could feel the power flowing into me from Stormbringer as something left me at the same time.” David looked back down into the water sighing. “Though at the time I had no idea of what.”

“It was your manhood young Mistress.” Mylisant answered bluntly with a sneer of her own. “Truthfully a small price to pay for the power to defeat my sisters. Though with each strike against my sisters a small piece of your humanity died as well.”

“Look bitch. I’m not some cold-blooded killer. You pushed, I pushed back. You and your sisters stepped into that fight looking to kill me and my mother. I just defended us to the best of my ability. It’s not my fault that you all need more or better training bitch.” David snorted as he gave her a cold sneer.

“I don’t doubt that Mistress. Your skill with a blade is formidable true, but without the power of Stormbringer we would have won.” Mylisant snapped. Only to back away from a suddenly enraged David. Even as he placed his hand on Stormbringer Kathern was calling him down.

“I SAID TO STAND DOWN DAVID!” At his mother’s yell David sighed and moved his hand away from the hilt of Stormbringer. Kathern could tell that her child was on the ragged edge of sanity. The sudden shift in worlds was just the tip of the iceberg. Once David was calm again Kathern turned to Mylisant. “Dame Mylisant I suggest you take us to your patrol’s horses. I fear that the forest is pushing the boundaries of my child’s nerves.”

“At once Lady Kathern. This way please.” Mylisant answered as she scrambled to her feet. She knew that she had pushed matters with the young Champion. Thirty minutes later the trio was mounted and riding through the woods towards the fabled Castle of Avalon. Mylisant knew that if she tried to take the long way back to the castle lady Kathern’s child and Champion would gladly cut her down.

As they rode David unconsciously shifted the sword at her hip to a more comfortable position. Once that was taken care of he pulled along side his mother. “Mom I know this is going to sound like a broken record.”

“Then save it for later David. We have bigger fish to fry. The biggest of which is you losing your masculinity. At the rate you’re changing. I give you three to four days before you’re my youngest daughter.” Kathern almost snapped.

“Mom we got a bigger problem than that. I can deal with becoming a girl if I have to so that I can protect you and dad. What I’m worried about is the old legend that Avalon is how a land lost in time and space?” David asked her with real worry filling his young voice.

“One problem at a time David. For now, we deal with the ones that we can solve. The first of which is your rapid change in gender. Any idea of why it is happening?” Kathern asked him bluntly.

“One and I know you’re not going to like it.” David told her honestly as he rested his left hand on the pommel of a softly humming Stormbringer.

-----tbc-----

up
388 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

fantastic stuff

loving it!

DogSig.png

Interesting………

D. Eden's picture

A sword of power normally bonds to it’s rightful owner, but it appears that this one has decided to remake it’s owner in it’s preferred image.

Also, interesting comment about the sword’s true name. Myth has it that to know it’s true name is to have power over it.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Another Winner!

This is sure to turn out as another great tale of yours which: I hope continues for many a long volume.
Thanks
a

alissa

Another Winner!

This is sure to turn out as another great tale of yours which: I hope continues for many a long volume.
Thanks
a

alissa

wonderful read

Remember the movie Timeline with Gerard Butler? This is another great read on a similar departure. Wonder just how much of history is going to change?!?
Also, this is best read with Rick Wakeman' s Myths and Legends of King Arthur playing in the background...

Woman for always or just in that time line?

Jamie Lee's picture

So Kathy and David Jr. know where they are, but do they know the time period? They have learned a truth that had been dismissed in their time period, and that being the existence of the Gray Wolf order. Maybe while they are there, Kathy and David will learn how they can prove the orders existence in their own time period.

Storm is doing a number on David, transforming him into a young woman. Once his transformation is complete, how will being female increase the power of the Black Sword? Or of David herself?

Others have feelings too.

Inspiration

Any inspiration from Michael Moorcock I happened upon the wiki and their are a lot of similarities.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna