Christmas in the endless night.

Printer-friendly version


Christmas in the endless night.

Ever wonder what Christmas was like aboard a Shinigami Battle Platform?

The bridge was quiet. Ryuk had gone into standby mode. The ancient AI had spent more than four hundred years in this mode, so he knew what expect. The bridge crew was down to a skeletal staff. Not even in CIC were they working a full staff. The anti-ship weapons had gone to standby. In short, the Shinigami Battle Platform Ryuk was quiet as a grave, not even a mouse was stirring. On the Command Deck at the Anti-ship combat station a blip flashed on the radar screen. Not long after the blip disappeared.

Down on the flight deck a shimmer took shape. The shuttle was longer and sleeker than normal. At over forty feet the red and gold trimmed shuttle stood out among the combat shuttles, fighters, and bombers. Ryuk chuckled to himself as he disabled the security protocols. “Hello old Sprite. Have you come to fulfil your duties?”

The old elf chuckled. “Yes, I have, you old goat. Are all asleep?”

“You are clear to the Imperial decks. Be quick old friend. You, only half an hour?”

“I will take my time you old degenerate. Besides, mortals think I am nothing more than a story.” The old elf stood at the end of the boarding ramp in defiance.

“Just go about your business ELF.” The ancient AI scolded.

“Relax, my friend. Tell me, have the children been naughty or nice?”

“Here are their transcripts.” And the AI downloaded ever rule infraction of those entrusted to his care.

“It seems they are all naughty.” The old Elf says.

“Oh, they have broken a few rules here and there. But they are all good little children, especially the heirs.”

“OH really. You’re not showing favoritism, are you?”

“NO!” the ancient AI screams. “They have only broken the rules of their mothers. Before you go getting all high and mighty understand something. They are the future of the Empire and they children who want to play.”

“I will ignore the records old friend as a favor to you on one condition.”

“What condition?”

“Have they been naughty or nice?” the old elf asked.

“They have been children, old friend. Now, what have you brought for those who shed their blood for freedom?”

The old elf pulled out a simple box from the shack that he carried from the shuttle. “One for each man and women woman has placed themselves on the LINE old friend.”

“Your entry and exit is as always covered Sprite. Go about your business.”

The old Elf moved along the corridors of the great battle platform. In each room, he left a small gift for its occupant. It may be a simple bottle of soap, shaving cream and razor, a new book to while away the time, these things and many more. In one room the ancient Elf stopped brought up short by its occupant. There before him slept an old warrior. A warrior worn by years of battle, and steadfast loyalty. A man who had forsaken all for the Empire. Pulled up short the old Elf knew that this was no ordinary soldier. Oh, there were more than enough soldiers on the battle platform, but here before him was a First-Generation Death Dealer. One of the last of his kind.

The old warrior rolled over and looked at the Elf. “Hello Santa. Shouldn’t you be a few decks up?”

“I will be about my duties have no fear. However, why haven’t you undergone your upgrade?” the ancient Elf asked.

“Don’t need it and don’t want it. Besides, my time for this world is almost up and I look forward to seeing long ago friends lost on worlds across the universe.” As the old warrior told the ancient Sprite his tale a tear came to the Sprite’s eye. “You want to know what I want for the season Santa. My final reward for a life of service. Give me peace, and the hope that men and women like me will never be needed again.”

With that the old warrior rolled back over and went back to sleep. The old Elf smiled down at the Death Dealer as he brushed the hair out of the man’s face. “Sleep well old soldier. Your final wish and gift is now yours.”

An hour later the ancient Elf stood once more at the ramp for his shuttle. “Ryuk, there is an old Death Dealer on deck four, bulkhead B, section four, that has passed on to his final reward.”

“I know and thank you, old friend. The Command Sergeant Major was well past his retirement date. It was his time to rest, but he just won’t give up the fight or looking out for the younger Death Dealers.”

“Thus, is the duty of the old Soldiers. Sadly, not even I, the Spirit of hope, could give him all of his final wish for this day.” The ancient spirit of the season said as he settled into his seat behind the shuttle’s crew. “On to our next stop, Hope. Joy has our next cargo drop arrived it?”

The two young women turned to face their boss. Their blond hair and crystal ice-blue eyes not to mention their faces mark them as twins. If it were not for the red or green flight suits one would be hard pressed to tell the pilot from the copilot. Yet to their father it was clear as day as they smiled and turned to their duties. Hope grabbed the control yoke while Joy keep her eyes on the engine gages and throttles. With centuries of piloting their father’s shuttle the two daughters of Christmas left the flight deck of the ancient battle platform. Once they had cleared the flight Joy left her position to check on their newest cargo as it shimmered into existence in the shuttle’s cargo hold. After securing it she returned to her position next to her sister. “Cargo secure, sister.”

“Cleared for hyper-space jump, Santa. Next stop, New Bethlehem.” Hope said as she entered the intergalactic coordinates for their next stop. “Awaiting your command, papa.”

“Merry Christmas to all, and to all a Goodnight.” Santa Clause called over the radio as he point to his daughter Hope. There was flash of light and Christmas One disappeared into the night. In its passing for just one moment in time a new Christmas star was born. Bring with it the hope of a peace and joy.

Aboard the bridge of Ryuk the ancient AI chuckled to himself. “Once again you give the gifts of Hope, Joy, and Peace in your passing old friend. May your journey bring happiness to all.”

With his guest now on his way Ryuk returned all systems to full combat readiness. Once again standing silently in the night.


From my family to all of you here at BC.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to one all.

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ah. Another awesome story.

WillowD's picture

And for a change it is one that brought a smile to my face instead of tears to my eyes. Thank you.

Merry Christmas

tmf's picture
Merry Christmas !!!
Peace, Love, Freedom, Happiness
&
Health

For those who believe

Christmas will always be special.

Absent Friends

The one thing that haunts me is the one's we've lost and wonder if we lost a piece of ourselves at their passing.
But then we must be so much richer in knowing and loving them.

Merry Christmas and good health in these troublesome times, regardless of your faith.

Hope, Joy, and Peace

the best gifts to give or get

DogSig.png

Absolutely

My5InchFMHeels's picture

Absolutely wonderful! Hopefully the final wish of the Command SMG will be attainable.