A modern Christmas Tale.

Printer-friendly version
A modern Christmas Tale.

A Christmas tale of magic, hope, and family. Be careful of what you wish for under a December’s night sky under the Northern Lights. You might get it.


Prolong.

Everybody has heard the story of Father Christmas. You might know him better by the name of Santa Claus and few other names. What you don’t know is the truth behind the myth. You see the Spirit known as Father Christmas is really an ancient and powerful Winter Spirit. One that was made flesh thanks human belief. Unlike other Supernatural beings he is bound by certain laws.

The first law is he not a true immortal. Extremely powerful yes but not truly immortal. Each incarnation only has 50 years before he has to retire then move onto his reward. This happens on the 26th of December. No one knows why they can only serve for 50 years at a time. Not even the current man holding the position but when the time comes, they simply vanish in a swirl of dancing lights. Never to be seen from again.

The second law is he cannot pick his replacement. That honor goes to the Christmas Spirit which governs the Season. When it is time for the current Santa to retire the Spirit leaves him and seeks out the person that represents Christmas the most in all of the world. It does not matter where that person is the Spirit of Christmas seeks them out. Once imbued with the Spirit that person is magically transported to the Christmas Castle. Where they spend the next 364 days learning how to be Santa.

The third law states that Santa must be a man. This power comes from his immortal images. The most common is that of a portly, old white man with a white beard. He is often seen wearing spectacles, a red traveling coat with white fur collar and cuffs, white-fur-cuffed red velvet trousers, red velvet hat trimmed with white fur, and black leather belt and boots, carrying a bag full of gifts. This image is fixed thanks to the magic that granted him his existence. It is however not a fixed image. It changes with the times and how people of the world view him.

The fourth law is Santa cannot live a solitary life. That means Santa must have a wife. This is usually the new Santa’s current lover. However, this doesn’t always happen. If the new Santa is single the Spirit of Christmas seeks out a female spirit with that best suits the new Santa Claus as his companion. Once they’re selected to be the new Mrs. Claus there is no getting out of the supernatural marriage. However, if the current Mrs. Claus is the best fit, then they will remain in place for the next fifty years. This has happened only once in the long history of the couple.

Now most people would find this arrangement too close to slavery however the benefits of being Mrs. Claus out weights the inconvenience. After all, unlike Santa they are true immortals. This is their reward for putting up with being stuck in a childless, arranged, and often loveless marriage. When their Santa retires the current Mrs. Claus is given a choice. To join with the Spirits of Christmas or to stay while working for the new Mrs. Claus. While Santa gets all the fame because of one night each year. Mrs. Claus is the real power behind the throne. With the exception of the toy factory, she truly runs everything at the North Pole. Even then her power is felt within the walls of the factory. This why she is often called the Big Guy’s Boss.

Most spend 5 to 6 months helping the new Mrs. Claus to settle in before moving into a small cottage in Christmas town. A few of the Mrs. Claus’s have taken up positions within the toy factory as department managers. While others run small shops that support the Elf workforce and Reindeer stables. This is what normally happens. The problem is that the current Mrs. Claus has held the position for the last 150 years. In all that time no female had shown forth with the needed Christmas Spirit to replace her.

Chapter 1
The letter
Home of Santa Claus. December 21st, Winter Solstice

In the upstairs office of the 3 story Victorian home a woman in her mid-twenties sits at an antique desk writing a letter. The room is bathed in a greenish glow from the Northern lights flashing through the room’s window. Off to one side the fireplace gives off a warming and welcome heat from the deadly cold outside. The only other light is the soft yellow light of the oil lamp on the corner of her desk. To the casual observer they would believe that they were looking at a setting for a Victorian Christmas card.

Even the woman at the desk gave this impression. From the skin out she is dressed against the weather outside her home. Next to her skin she wears winter silk panties and bodystocking. Next her long slim torso is wrapped in a heavily boned corset made from the finest of lines and strongest of fabrics. The corset pulls her waist down into the ideal hourglass shape favored by women of the late Victorian era. Thick, alpaca wool, thigh-high, stockings attached to the corset’s garter straps cover her legs and feet. They were a gift from her original Santa in 1895. She covers all of this with an ankle length long sleeve crush velvet red union suit. The dress she wears is a red, crushed velvet, ankle length, long sleeve, A-line, back button down, Victorian walking dress trimmed in white fur. Her dainty feet are graced with red leather slippers trimmed and lined in white rabbit fur. Her heavily corseted waist is in circled by a 4-inch-wide black leather belt.

While still very young looking the woman’s knee length hair is white as the snow outside her window. If you were to look out the room’s window you would find a village straight out of Victorian England. Despite the fact that the town was located above the Arctic Circle. With the letter finished the woman picked it up to read it over.

“To my replacement,” the woman began then stopped. With a frown she picked up a block of rubber and removed the first line. After a few quick strokes of the pen the woman smiled. “Yes, much better.”

“To whoever finds this letter. I welcome you to your new life. I thought I would give you a two pieces of advice. Just as I was. First do not fight the forces that have bound you in this supernatural marriage. They will win in the end. Give yourself over to your new life as Mrs. Claus. Embrace the role and make it your own. If you don’t the magic will make the choice for you.

Second when you need help or advice seek out the Head Female Elf Jessica. She is the original Mrs. Claus but don’t let her appearance fool you. While the magic of the Christmas Spirit has changed her over the last several thousands of years, she was born human. She is also not the only former Mrs. Claus still here at the North Pole. Each one of us are here somewhere.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Kringle.”

After reading over the letter three more times the woman folded the letter and placed it in an envelope. After sealing the letter Rebecca sat back in her chair. “I hope that the Powers that Be finally let me retire this time.”

“I’m sure that they will Ms. Rebecca.” The female elf told her she entered the office. “With all the changes happening throughout the Main House. You’ll finally get your much earned reward. I’m sure of it.”

“I hope so Tippy. I have grown extremely tired. I’m actually feeling my age.” The woman moaned then grunted as she her back popped. “I think I’ve held the position of Mrs. Claus for the longest of anyone.”

“You have. Not even Ms. Jessica held it for as long as you. She held it for seventy years. What we elves can’t figure out is why you’ve been stuck for so long.” Tippy told her boss as she feed a few large chunks of coal into the fireplace out of habit. “The Powers that Be must have had a reason.”

“I have a feeling that the reason is a simple one Tippy. When I first became Mrs. Claus women didn’t really have a reason to celebrate the season. Women during my time were little more than property for their husbands and fathers. You have to remember that I was born in eighteen-forty-nine, married off the year that I turned sixteen in eighteen-sixty-five. I gave birth to three children before I was widowed in eighteen-seventy. I had buried all three of children and my husband thanks to smallpox the year before I turned twenty. I know this sounds harsh, but the story of my early years was rather common for the times. I had just ended mourning my family when I was chosen to be Mrs. Claus. I can still remember how happy I was to rejoin Society as an eligible bachelorette. It was at the London Winter Festival.” Rebecca sighed.

“Your happiness at being freed from your past drew the Christmas Spirit.” Tippy finished for her with a small smile. “I know it is not my place Ms. Rebecca. But do you have any regrets at being chosen for Mrs. Claus?”

“Honestly Tippy. Just one. I truly wish that I could have seen my daughters and son grow up.” Rebecca told the elf with a sad smile. Then jumped from her desk chair as a wave of magic swept the room. Rebecca could only stand and stare at the changes left behind in the wake of the magic. “Oh my. It seems that the Powers that Be, have found my replacement at long last.”

“I would say so, Ms. Rebecca.” Tippy giggles as she walked over to the wall and flipped the newly appeared light switch. As the overhead light blazed brightly Rebecca gasped. “Modern electrical lights. I wonder what else has changed. Do you want me to investigate Ms. Rebecca?”

“Please do Tippy.” Rebecca answered as she placed her left hand over her breast. “I don’t think I can handle another such surprise.”

Thirty minutes later the Christmas Elf returned with a smile on her face. “Ms. Rebecca, I believe that the Powers are finally ready to let you retire.”

“How sure are you of this Tippy? Please don’t get my hopes up.” Rebecca begged her closest friend among the Christmas Elves.

“There is a brand-new master bedroom suite in the spare bedroom. All of it is very modern. There is a full wardrobe closet, Chester draws, dresser, king sized pedestal bed, vanity, writer’s desk, and twin nightstands. There is a huge flat screen TV in the Lady’s parlor. That’s not all. Everywhere in the house there are modern electrical amenities.” Tippy told her then grinned. “And the house is still changing.”

“Oh my. It looks like I’ll finally get to open my bakery.” Rebecca sighed. Only to grab her desk as the whole house was shaken as if by a massive hand. Before she could ask what was happening the sky turned a bright red and the clocktower bells rang out in warning. The warning was followed by a thunderous boom that rolled across the valley floor. “Tippy that was near the edge of the magic dome. Bring my sleigh around!”

“Yes ma’am. Should I tell Santa?” Tippy asked.

“No. Everything outside of the toy factory is my responsibility. The management of Christmas town is my responsibility.” Rebecca snapped as she changed her sleepers for her boots. Tippy just nodded her head and ran out of the office. As Rebecca laced up her boots, she looked towards the red line of light marking the outer edge of their protective dome. “Whatever hit the dome must be big. This is not good.”

Chapter 2
The Christmas Flight.
Arctic Village Airfield, Alaska, Winter Solstice.

Kristopher Kringle smiled as he helped the 14-year-old twins Sally and Danny Yoder on board his family’s Douglas DC-4. It was a retrofitted design built by Maple Leaf Aircraft in Ontario. At 19 Kriss was the youngest pilot in the state of Alaska to hold a multi-engine aircraft and commercial certification. He had first earned his pilot’s license at 16. He was also the youngest owner operator for a family-owned cargo airline anywhere.

Normally he wouldn’t be allowed to carry passengers, but this was a special circumstance. He had been hired by the State Children’s Service to fly this brother and sister home to their father in Daneborg, Greenland. If his mother and father were still alive, they would have turned the job down. Because he would be flying the whole trip without a copilot. If it wasn’t for the paycheck Kriss would have turned the job down. The problem was he needed the money to save his family’s failing air cargo business.

“Okay Kriss that’s it. You’re fully fueled and loaded.” Dale Thorn told the teenage pilot with a smile. “Are you sure you want to make this trip solo?”

“I got no choice, Mr. Thorn. I can’t afford to pay a copilot. Besides, I got clear skies for the next thirty-eight hours. More than enough time to fly the hump from here to Daneborg in eighteen hours. If I refuel at the remote airfields and use VFR plus RFF to travel between those airfields most of that will be over dry land.” Kriss told him honestly as he pulled out his flight plan and aerial map. Kriss slowly ran his finger over the route he had traced out with a red wax pencil. “See nice and safe. The only hiccup is the mountain passes between here and the Whitehorse northern airfield.”

“Alright Kriss. I’ll let it drop if you promise me to check in with the ATCs every half-hour.” The old man told Kriss sternly.

“I promise Mr. Thorn.” Kriss swore then hugged him. “I’ll see you and Mrs. Marry in four days. Do you want me to pick something up for you?”

“Just get these kids to their dad and bring this old gal back in one piece.” Dale told him as he walked down the steps. Once he was clear of the steps Kriss pulled the hatch closed and dogged the latches. Fifteen minutes later the old-style aircraft was roaring down the runway. Dale Thorn watched the plane until it was out of sight. “God speed Kriss.”

Thirty minutes after takeoff Kriss engaged the autopilot. He unstrapped from his seat and headed back to the passenger area. “Okay you two. You want to come up front with me? I mean you have to be bored just looking out the windows. You can each take turns at the controls.”

Just as Kriss figured. The twins jumped to their feet at the chance to ride in the cockpit of the plane. Everyone at Arctic Village wanted to fly his family’s airplane. It was a rare aircraft after all. There weren’t that many Douglas DC-4s still flying. Not that it matter. Because his DC-4 was a retro design built specifically for operations at the tundra airfields of North America and had only been flying for the last 10 years.

The twins couldn’t believe the chance they were getting. To them Kriss was a real-life hero. To be so young and flying his own cargo plane was unheard of outside of the Arctic and the tundra regions. Up here people didn’t care about age. Only your equipment and if you could get the job done. Kriss had already flown the hump 37 times as the locals called the route through the mountains into Canada. He had never once damaged a cargo.

“Kriss how many refuel stops will we have to make?” Sally asked as she scanned Kriss’ flight maps. “It looks like we’re making a lot of stops.”

“Not that many really Sally. The reason our flightpath is laid out the way that is, is for safety. Each one of those airfields has a radio navigational beacon. By flying over or near them I can use them as waypoints. That way we don’t get lost.” Kriss explained as he reach over and tapped the very modern navigation console and autopilot. “You see this little beauty? This is what allows me to fly without a copilot.”

“What is that Kriss?” Danny asked.

“That is the Raytheon Prick-seventy-nine Radar and Radio guided autopilot. When Maple Leaf Aviation bought the designs for the DC-four they had to upgrade all of the electronics and flight controls to modern safety standards. While the console looks like it came from the nineteen-fifties and sixties it is actually very modern. Nothing on this airplane is older than ten years.” Kriss told the twins with a smile of pride.

“Wow. I thought that Rudolph was just a rebuilt DC-four. Not a totally new airplane.” Sally gasped in surprise.

“Nope she’s almost brand new.” For the next four hours Kriss took his charges through the controls. When they reached the outer beacon for ZEU in Yellow Knife. After landing and refueling Kriss made took off for the second part of the journey. This was the first time he would be crossing over water, so he had the twins stay in the passenger area. He knew that he would need all of his concentration from this point on. Over the next twelve hours Kriss landed two more times for fuel. The last one was on the northern most coast of Canada’s Ellesmere Island at Alert.

Kriss had just cleared the outer marker when he noticed something was wrong with his instruments. He tried to radio back to Alert but for some reason he got no reply. It was as if he was talking to dead air. When the door to his cockpit opened Kriss almost snapped Sally’s head off. “Kriss, you need to see something. I think we’re being followed.”

“Sally I really don’t have time right now. We’ve lost contact with Alert.” Kriss told her honestly. “Please return to your seat.”

“Kriss this is important! There’s a great big ball of light right behind us.” Sally huffed. “I know what an airplane looks like and that thing isn’t an airplane. Whatever it is, isn’t manmade.”

“What?” Kriss asked her in confusion at first then he saw the look of fear on the teen girl’s face. Kriss reached over and set the autopilot then unstrapped from his seat. “Okay hold on I’m coming.”

Once Kriss reached the passenger area he found Danny looking out the port side windows. Windows that were filled with a green light. At first, he thought that he was looking at a case of Saint Elmo’s Fire. Until he looked out the windows himself. What he saw made Kriss realize that something was very wrong. “Both of you. Get to the cockpit and strap in. Danny you’re on the radio. Sally, I want you on the map calling out our position to Danny.”

“Yes sir.” Both twins said as they all headed for the cockpit. For the next 20 minutes Kriss did his best to lose the glow ball of green light. All to no avail. It was as if the ball of light was actually herding him further, and further north. When the ball of light picked up speed Kriss pushed the throttles all the way to the stops trying to outrun the ball. This too provide to be useless. Because within 5 minutes his plane was surrounded in a green glow. Kriss looked down at his instruments to see them going haywire.

“Shit! Danny, Sally, pull your harnesses tight and put that shit down. I got a feeling we’re about to crash. When I tell you. I want you to brace yourselves for impact.” Looking over at the very frightened children Kriss lied. “Don’t worry kids. This lady can handle a belly flop with no problems. She’s designed to crash land on her belly.”

“This is one fucked up Christmas flight Kriss!” Danny yelled.

“Ho! Ho! Ho! Thank you for flying Kringle Airways. On behalf of the Reindeer, I would like to apologize for this unscheduled stop!” Kriss snarked just before the number 3 and 4 engines caught fire. “Shit! This is going to be a bumpy landing. Hold tight kids.”

Those were the last words that Kriss was able to speak before he was too busy dealing with flying his crippled plane. It was taking everything Kriss had to keep the plane from becoming a rolling ball of flames. In order to keep his plane from catching fire Kriss flipped the kill switches to the engines and pulled the emergency dump lever for the fuel tanks. As his altimeter fell below 100ft Kriss yanked back on the control yoke with all his strength. The sudden move raise the nose high enough for the plane to slide across the frozen wasteland of the Arctic Circle on its belly.

When the plane finally came to a stop the snow was piled over the wings extinguishing the flames. The snow was so deep that it was as high as the cockpit windows. Kriss was the first to awaken from the impact. The howling winds outside the cockpit drew his attention. Before checking on the two Kriss looked outside to see a raging blizzard children. “Fuck. No good.”

“Oh man my head.” Sally’s groan of pain drew Kriss’ full attention. “Did we make it down okay?”

“We’re down Sally. Okay is a relative term. Other than a headache does anything else hurt?” Kriss asked her as he unbuckled his harness.

“Just my ankle. Nothing else hurts Kriss. What about Danny?” She asked.

“Haven’t checked on him yet. Do me a favor and check on him. I’m heading towards the tail of the plane.” Kriss told her as he went through the cockpit door. He was actually surprised to find that most of the cabin was in one piece. Only a few of the windows were knocked out. Taking the cushions from several of the seats he blocked the open windows. The whole time he worked Kriss kept sniffing the air. With a sigh of relief Kriss realized that he evacuated the fuel before the crash. Now he just had to figure out where they were. He opened the emergency locker and broke out the heavy sleeping bags plus emergency food stores.

“At least we won’t freeze or starve for the next fifteen days. Got plenty of food and we can use the portable heater. For water we can melt snow. I just hope like hell the rescue crews find us in time.” Kriss told himself.

“Kriss! You need to get up here!” Sally yelled.

“What now?” Kriss grumbled and grabbed the emergency .308 hunting rifle. “I hope like hell it’s not a Polar bear. Because this thing will be little better than a popgun against a thousand pounds of White Furry.”

“Trust me Kriss you got to see this shit for yourself.” Danny called back through the cockpit door. “I think we’re bring rescued by reindeer.”

“We’re what?” Kriss asked in confusion as he looked out the forward windscreen. “I must have bumped my head during the crash.”

“Nope. That is a sleigh being pulled by reindeer.” Sally giggled.

Chapter 3
The Rescue.
Somewhere near the North Pole.

Rebecca Claus reached the great barrier within a few minutes thanks to Donner and Blitzen. When she found nothing at the snow wall Rebecca use her magic to look through the magical barrier to find the cause of alarm. To her surprise the sight of the airplane worried her more than the anything else. This was the first time that a modern flying machine had come near the North Pole’s hidden secret of Christmas Town.

“Tippy, Snapple, head back to the stables. Gather up as many elves, polar bears, and reindeer as you can. We need to get whatever that machine is under the dome as soon as possible. That blizzard will only keep the rescue parties at bay for so long.” Rebecca ordered the two Christmas Elves in the other sleigh. “We’ll see if there are any survivors on board.”

With that Rebecca snapped her reins and headed under the barrier into the swirling blizzard. As she guided her reindeer towards the plane crash Rebecca felt a long-forgotten pull come over her. The last time she felt this pull was shortly before she appeared in the heart of Christmas town. “Finally. The Powers that Be, have found my replacement.”

“What was Mrs. Claus?” The elf beside her asked.

“Nothing Bernard. Just talking to myself.” Rebecca chuckled as the wind whipped around her and her sleigh. Seeing Bernard shiver Rebecca reprimanded the Christmas Elf. “You should know better Bernard. Don’t you go catching a cold on me now. Not after all the grief you’ve given me in the last one-hundred and forty-nine years about dressing for the climate.”

“Normally we wouldn’t be going outside the snow wall, Mrs. Claus. Why are we doing this? Normally we just let the humans rescue themselves.” The elf snarked as he studied the swirling winds and snow.

“Because somewhere inside that metal tube is my replacement.” Rebecca told him harshly. At Bernard’s look of total surprise Rebecca sighed. “Haven’t you seen the changes in the main house?”

“No ma’am. Normally only go up to the main house if there is a problem in town or at the factory. Even then I always use the back entrance. The rest of the time I’m in the main office overseeing the Naughty or Nice staff.” Bernard grumbled as they pulled to stop near the airplane.

“You stay out here with Donner and Blitzen. Keep them calm while I go inside and search for survivors.” Rebecca ordered him.

“Yes ma’am.” Bernard answered as he took the reins. He watched as the longest serving Mrs. Claus slowly approach the side of the metal tube. To his surprise a door opened in the side about a quarter of the way down its length.

“Um… Hi there. I know this is going to sound crazy, but where’s the rest of the rescue party?” The person asked.

“They’ll be here shortly. How many in your party young lady?” Rebecca asked as she fought to control her surprise at sight of the young woman’s face. If she didn’t know better Rebecca would have sworn, that she was looking into the eyes of her long dead daughter Kristen.

“Three ma’am. There’s myself, and two teenage children. A twin brother and sister. Age fourteen.” The young person told her with authority. Then asked her with a look of confusion. “Aren’t you cold ma’am?”

“I can assure you that I am quite warm young lady. Now are either of the children hurt?” Rebecca asked the young lady. She was sure that she was dealing with a girl in her late teens to early twenties from the way she blushed at being call young lady. After all, to be an unmarried maiden at her age and working to support herself had to be embarrassing.

“The boy has a broken arm and I think the girl broken her leg.” The girl answered as she scratched her head. “But I’m not sure. I don’t have the medical training to answer that question.”

“Bernard! Tie off the reindeer and bring me my bag! We have injured inside!” Rebecca ordered the elf as she moved the girl back inside the metal tube. “Please dear. Let me see to your brother and sister. I may not be a doctor, but my father taught me enough to mend bones and stitch cuts.”

“Have at it, ma’am. I’m totally lost. I barely passed Basic First Aid during flight training. And they’re my passengers. Not my brother and sister. Despite my wishes.” The girl told Rebecca bluntly.

As she was checking over the teenage girl’s headwound something the older girl said clicked in Rebecca’s head. Using her magical senses Rebecca found to her shock that the older girl wasn’t a girl at all. But instead, an underdeveloped young man. One whose face and general appearance was rather feminine. Yet her magical senses were screaming that this child held more Christmas magic than any other person in the world. Rebecca was forced to admit that the child was more powerful than herself, all of her predecessors, and the current Santa combined.

“Here’s your bag, Boss.” Bernard said as he entered the metal tube. “I also brought the stretcher with me.”

“Thank you, Bernard.” Rebecca said as she took the black medical bag from him. Opening her bag Rebecca took out a rolled white bandage and began to wrap the younger girl’s head wound. “I need you to find four straight pieces of metal for me Bernard. The little girl’s ankle, and leg are most definitely broken. We need to splint them before we move her.”

“There’s a full set of inflatable splints in the emergency gear. Let me go get them.” The older girl, Rebecca just couldn’t bring herself to think of this feminine child as a boy, said then headed for the rear of the tube.

“Ms. Rebecca is it my imagination? But is that girl glowing with the power of the Christmas Spirit?” Bernard asked her quietly. The giggle from the little girl drew the elf’s attention. “Did I say something funny?”

“Mister Elf if you don’t want a mouth full of knuckles. Don’t go calling Kriss a girl. He gets really upset with people who do that.” Sally giggled.

“You can tell that I’m an Elf?” Bernard asked in surprise as the young girl smiled up at him. “Ms. Rebecca if she can.”

“Hush, Bernard.” Rebecca commanded him. “I know full well what this could mean. However, she is not my replacement.”

“Then who is your replacement?” Bernard asked. Rebecca just pointed to the young man at the rear of the metal tube. “Her? I mean him?”

“Excuse me ma’am, but are you Mrs. Claus?” The young girl asked Rebecca.

“Now why would you ask that dear?” Rebecca asked with a small smile.

“Well first there’s the way you’re dressed. You look like the way I always pictured Mrs. Claus in my head. Only a lot younger.” The girl blushed then pointed over at Bernard. “But the big clue is him. He’s a Christmas Elf.”

“Very preceptive of you young Miss. I am indeed a Christmas Elf.” Bernard said with a bow from the waist. “I am Bernard. Chief bookkeeper for the Naughty and Nice department or as we call it Double N.”

“Oh man my arm. Hey Sally, where are you?” A boy’s voice called out from the front of the metal tube.

“Bernard see to the boy.” Rebecca ordered the elf. Who just nodded his head and went through the door. “Now that we’re alone young lady. I want you to look at me and tell me what you see.”

After blinking her eyes a few times, the young girl told her. “Well, you’re surrounded by this swirling glow of red, green, and blue lights.”

“So, you do possess Magical sight. Do me a favor. I want you to look at your friend. Then tell me what you see.” Rebecca told her as she did the same.

“I see the same lights surrounding Kriss that surround you. Only much brighter. There is also one other color. A light purple or lavender mixed in with them.” The girl told Rebecca before closing her eyes. When she looked back up at Rebecca the glowing lights were gone. “What was that? Magic?”

“It’s called Aura Vision, child. And no. It’s not magic but more along the lines of an extra sense.” Rebecca told her as she taped off the bandage around the little girl’s head. “There. Now we just need to see to your leg and ankle. By the way what is your name little one?”

“Sarah Yoder, but everyone calls me Sally. My brother’s name is Daniel, but everyone calls him Danny for short.” Sally told her favorite mythical heroin Mrs. Claus as she removed Sally’s left boot. The second the boot was off her foot though Sally winced in pain. “Ow. What did you do?”

“Your leg and ankle are broken, dear. Now that I have removed your boot the pressure it provided has allowed the blood flow to return. Causing you pain.” Rebecca explained for her then asked. “What is your friend’s name dear?”

“Kristopher, but everybody calls him Kriss.” Sally told her then turned sad. “Only his parents ever called him Kristopher though.”

“I take it that he is an orphan?” Rebecca asked of the girl. When Sally nodded her head yes Rebecca had the answer to her next unspoken question. “Kriss if there is a full leg splint, please bring it here.”

“Just a moment Doc. I got to get the emergency tent and a few other supplies out of the way.” Kriss grumbled as he set aside a folded piece of canvas. “Why the heck did I ever let Murry pack the emergency locker?”

“Because you love the big lummox is why.” Sally told him with a giggle before she frowned then turned to Mrs. Claus. “Is Kriss’ hair turning white?”

“I’m afraid that it is child. Do you remember that glow you saw surrounding your friend?” Rebecca asked the young girl. When Sally nodded Rebecca sighed. “Well, it seems that the Spirit of Christmas has chosen your friend to become the next embodiment for the Mother Christmas.”

“But Kriss is a boy.” Sally whispered in surprise.

“It matters not to the Powers that Be, child. His body may be male, but his spirit is female. That is the only explanation I can give you right now.” Rebecca told Sally honestly. Sally could tell that Mrs. Claus wanted to say more but Kriss returned with the inflatable splints.

“Here you go Doc. One children’s full leg splint.” Kriss said as he handed her the rolled-up piece of molded vinyl.

“I thought I asked for splint young man. Not bandages.” Rebecca snapped.

“Excuse me ma’am, but that is a splint. Haven’t you ever seen air splints?” Kriss asked the woman who shook her head no. Sighing Kriss unzipped the leg of Sally’s snowsuit. “Here let me show you how they work.”

Kriss slowly worked the full leg splint up Sally’s leg. Once it was in place, he pulled up the zipper. Using the handpump Kriss quickly inflated the air splint. “Thankfully emergency medical kits for airplanes are required to have splints for both adults and children. Not to mention a whole bunch of other stuff that normal First Aid kits don’t.”

“Oh wow. I didn’t realize that you were hurt Sally. Can you forgive me sis?” Danny asked as he entered the cabin area.

“How’s the noggin squirt?” Kriss asked as he helped the boy out of his coat.

“Not too bad. Just a slight headache. How long have I been out?” Danny asked.

“You have been unconscious for the last twenty minutes young man. Now sit down and let me have a look at you.” Rebecca ordered him. As she moved him to one of the seats. After checking his heart and eyes Rebecca moved onto the boy’s arm. “This is not good. Do you have a splint that will hold his arm in a bent position?”

“Let me look ma’am.” Kriss said as he dug through the splint carrier. He found two. “I have one that will fit his arm but only hold it at a ninety-degree angle. The other is too long but will hold the arm at a thirty-degree angle. Which one do you think will work best?”

“Give me the one that will fit.” Rebecca told him before she turned to the little boy. “I cannot lie to you. This will hurt. Your arm is broken in several places Danny. Once above the elbow and twice below the elbow.”

“Danny do whatever the Doc tells you.” Kriss told him. “You can trust her.”

“Okay Kriss.” Danny said as Rebecca slowly worked the air splint into place. Now that she had seen how they worked. She had no problems with the new device. In the back of her mind Rebecca couldn’t help but marvel at the wonders of modern medical science.

“Bernard ready the sleigh for transport. We need to get these two out of the elements as fast as possible.” Rebecca ordered as she inflated the splint.

“Yes ma’am.” The elf answered as he ran outside to the sleigh.

“Um… ma’am. Not that I don’t appreciate the help and all. But wouldn’t it be better to wait for your snowcat?” Kriss asked the woman.

“Modern machines won’t work in this part of the world young man. That is why your flying machine fell from the sky.” Rebecca harshly told her replacement then softened her tone. “For your machine to work correctly in this part of the world. It must be powered by magic until it crosses the Arctic Circle.”

“Whatever you say, Doc.” Kriss snarked knowing that there had to be another reason. One that was more scientific.

“The sleigh is ready Boss.” Bernard said as he reentered the cabin.

“Good you and Kriss can carry the girl out. I’ll bring the boy.” Rebecca ordered as she close up her black bag. “Kriss there will be a recovery crew coming for your machine. Once it has been taken back to our town. You can take your time going through everything on board.”

“I don’t know how you’re going to.” Kriss started saying as he stepped outside the plane carrying Sally only to be stopped by what he saw moving towards the downed plane. “Are those giant polar bears?”

“That would be a yes. You won’t find them south of here. Don’t worry they’re really quite friendly.” Rebecca chuckled as she helped Danny through the door. “Once you get to know them.”

“Just go with it Kriss.” Sally told him as she tugged on his jacket. Then smiling up at his concerned face. “Trust me. Something special is happening.”

Chapter 4
Revelations.
Home of Santa Claus. December 21st , Winter Solstice.

As the sleigh pulled to a halt in front of what was once her home she gasped in surprise. In place of the three-story Queen Anne style Victorian home now stood a mansion equal to anything form that era. It took her a few minutes to gather her thoughts on what was happening. Then she spotted the mother’s wing. At the sight of that wing Rebecca realized that though she might be retiring she wasn’t going to be moving out of the main house.

To Kriss, Sally, and Danny the sight of the mansion was nothing compared to the town they had passed through. They knew that no one could live at the top of the world. Yet here was an entire city that wasn’t on any map. Overhead the Northern Lights danced filling the sky with an earthly display of beauty. The most amazing thing though was the people. Everywhere they looked. The three newcomers saw more than just elves, but all types of winter spirits.

“Kriss are we really seeing this? It’s not some dream, is it?” Sally asked.

“I hate to say this Sally, but this is no dream. We’re actually seeing a magical village deep in the heart of the North Pole.” Kriss told her honestly.

“Ma’am the guest rooms have been prepared as you ordered.” An elf woman said as she stepped out onto the front steps of the mansion.

“Thank you for taking care of that Jingle. Please see that the boy and girl are feed, bathed, and put to bed. Also send someone for Doctor Jingle. Tell him to bring his nurse and whatever he needs to see to broken bones.” Rebecca ordered the elf before turning to Kriss. “I’ll see to the young lady myself.”

“Sally, Danny, do whatever these folks tell you. Don’t fight with them. I truly believe that they’re here to help us.” Kriss told his charges before climbing down from the sleigh. “Okay ma’am. The show is all yours.”

Rebecca just chuckled at the youngster’s bravado. She could tell that he was doing his best to not show fear in front of the two siblings. She was surprised that he stopped just inside the door and removed his boots. With a small smile Rebecca led him to the main office for the house. At least she thought she was leading him towards the main office. Halfway there she had to stop and ask a new elf where the office was.

“I thought you lived here?” Kriss asked her.

“The main house has undergone a massive change in the last few hours Kriss. This is not the house I left when I came to your rescue. In fact, it is more than three times the size of the one I left.” Rebecca told him bluntly. Before turning back to the elf. “Thank you for the directions, Marybelle.”

“No problem Mrs. Claus. This isn’t the first time that this has happened. The last time was just before you came to live here. We went from a castle to that lovely Queen Anne Victorian home you preferred. Don’t worry about the staff ma’am. We’ve all returned to fulfill our old jobs.” The elf told her with a smile. “It’ll be nice to have a family living here again.”

“Wait a minute according to legend the Claus’ never had any children.” Kriss said without thinking. “When was there ever a family living up here?”

“Once long ago, Miss. They were the younger, twin brother and sister of Mrs. Jessica Kringle.” The elf explained before returning to her.

“Oh boy! Why do I have a feeling that I’m in way over my head?” Kriss asked.

“Because you’re not an ignorant fool young Kristopher. Though I do believe that this is a conversation that is best held out of earshot.” Rebecca told him and turned to follow the directions that the elf maid had given her. “It is also a conversation to be held between mother and daughter.”

“Excuse me! Did you say mother and daughter?” Kriss asked as he ran to catch up with his very enigmatic host.

“Yes, I did. For that is what we are now. By our traditions as the newest Snow Maiden, you are considered my daughter. As the current Mother Christmas, I am your mother and mentor. At least until you take my place.” Rebecca told the youngster as she open the door to an office with the letters KK carved into the wood. Once they were both inside Rebecca turned to Kriss. “First I want to apologize for what is happening to you.”

“What do you mean by that ma’am?” Kriss asked in confusion.

“To begin with you are already losing your manhood. Over the next year, you will slowly become a woman. Then on the twenty-fourth of December next year, you will marry the next Santa Claus. This is an arranged marriage by the Powers that Be. You will have no choice in the matter. The magic that surrounds Christmas will make this happen. Please do not try to fight it. The magic is just too powerful. The more you fight your fate the greater the magic will change you.” Rebecca explained. “And it is all my fault.”

“Hold on here a second ma’am. I’m still coming to grips with the idea that magic is real. Now you’re telling me that I’m going to be magically change into a woman. Not just any woman but the next Mrs. Claus or whoever this mythical person is. One who is locked into an arranged marriage no less.” Kriss snapped. “Not to mention the fact that this is all against my will!”

“I can honestly say that the Spirit of Christmas is a force of nature that does as it pleases Kriss. I too was brought here against my will and forced to deal with an arranged marriage. Just as were all the Mother Christmases before me with one exception. The first Mrs. Claus, Jessica Kringle.” Rebecca told Kriss honestly as she stepped over at a wall of snow globes. Kriss could tell that with the exception of one. All of these snow globes were very old. Rebecca took down the newest of the globes and turned to face Kriss. “Each of these snow globes holds the life story and magical essence of a Mother Christmas or as you call her Mrs. Claus. This one is yours.”

“Is that the mansion?” Kriss asked as he looked inside the globe. To his surprise he could see the reindeer sleigh at the front steps, the glass enclosure at the rear of the house, even the three wings. Then to his surprise he watched as Bernard climbed into the sleigh and drive away. “Holy shit! It’s all real. Everything in the town and what you’ve said.”

“I’m afraid so, dear.” Rebecca said as she replaced the snow globe on its shelf. “In this part of the world magic is very real, and in your case young lady it is extremely powerful.”

“How could this happen to me? I haven’t believed in Christmas since mom and dad died a few years ago. Shouldn’t the magic have ignored me?”

“I’ve been thinking about that Kriss. Firstly, do you know what today is?” Rebecca asked him kindly.

“December twenty-first, four days before Christmas. Why?” Kriss asked her.

“It is also known as the Winter Solstice. It is one of the four most mystically powerful days of the year. These are the Spring/Autumn Equinox and the Summer/Winter Solstice.” Rebecca told him.

“Still not seeing where you’re going with this ma’am.” Kriss complained.

“I’m getting there, child. You see there is a legend concerning those four days. It is said that if you make a wish on any of those days under the Northern Lights it will come true.” Rebecca told him calmly. “As you can see the Northern Lights shine brightly over Christmas town.”

“I kind of noticed that ma’am. Then again, they’ve always been beautiful in my eyes.” Kriss sighed then looked Rebecca in the eyes. “Still not seeing the big picture here. What does making a wish have to do with my situation?”

“Earlier, today I made a wish under those very lights. As a Kringle I should know better.” Rebecca told him as she bowed her head. “That is why I owe you an apology. My wish was to retire and have a family that brought you here.”

“Oh boy. If that is the situation, then you don’t owe me anything. Because I made a similar wish as I crossed over the Alaskan Mountain range into Canada. I couldn’t help it really. I saw the Northern Lights and got to thinking about my parents. Then I made the wish that I had my mother with me to see the beautiful sight before me.” Kriss answered honestly.

“I think we need to talk with your young charges.” Rebecca said as she pulled Kriss out of the office behind her. They found the brother and sister in the kitchen. Both had a full plates in front of them and large mugs of warm chocolate milk. “Sally, Danny, I need to ask you a question?”

“Yes ma’am.” Both answered as one.

“Did either of you make a wish under the Northern Lights?” Rebecca asked.

“I know that I did. Why?” Sally answered truthfully.

“Same here.” Danny answered before stuffing his mouth with a piece of roast beef. “Oh man this so good.”

“Do not talk with your mouth full of food young man.” Rebecca chided him.

Danny quickly swallowed the mouthful before answering. “Yes ma’am. Sorry.”

“Do either of you remember what your wishes were?” Kriss asked the twins.

“I wished that I was Kriss’ little brother. And that we could stay with him instead of being sent to our back to our father’s family.” Danny mumbled.

“I wished that I had a big sister that was like Kriss. That we could stay with her instead our father.” Sally said without an ounce of shame.

“Sally, Danny, why don’t you want to go home to your father and his family?” Kriss asked more out of concern for them than anything else.

“Our father is a real pig. He always treated out mom like she was his personal property. I know that he would treat me the same way. As far as our father goes women are only good for two things. Keeping house and giving birth to the next generation. The same can be said of our grandparents. They’re real backwards when it comes to how women should be treated and behave.” Sally explained for Kriss who was doing his best to not become pissed.

“I’m with Sally on that Kriss. Our father is real scum. I won’t even go into how our grandparents treated our mom.” Danny snarled.

“What if I told you that you could all stay here as a family?” Rebecca asked as she looked over at Kriss.

“Just tell me what I got to do ma’am.” Kriss answered.

“Then follow me, Kristopher.” Rebecca said as she stood up. Then pointing to the twins. “You two need to finish your dinners. The town’s doctor will be here shortly. After that you can get your baths and then some sleep.”

“See you two I the morning. Do exactly what you’re told. Understood?”

“Yes sir.” Both sighed and returned to their meals. Instead of returning to the office Rebecca led Kriss down another hallway. The walls of this hallway were lined with the portraits of women from all ages.

Yet they all had a few things in common. Snow-white hair and crystal blue eyes. Some wore glasses and appeared to be middle age while slightly portly. Others were young and very beautiful. The other thing they all had in common was the way they were dressed. Every woman wore a red velvet dress trimmed with white fur, and a red hood cloak with white fur trim. They were halfway down the hallway when one of the doors slammed open. A young woman in her lates twenties with pointed elf ears stepped out and rounded on Rebecca.

“What is going on here Rebecca? One minute I’m enjoying a nice warm cup of coco in my cottage. The next thing I know my cottage is part of the main house. What did you do? And who is that boy?” The woman demanded in a huff.

“For starters Jessica. I didn’t do anything. This all happen because the Spirit of Christmas wanted it to happen. As for the boy. That is a little complicated.” Rebecca answered as she place her left-hand Kriss’ shoulder. “Jessica Kringle I would like for you to meet the next Mother Christmas, Goddess of Winter and Skiing, Grandmother Frost, Kristopher Kringle.”

“By the All Father! How could this be? The Spirit of Christmas has never chosen a man before. Let alone gathered all the previous Mothers under one roof.” Jessica Kringle gasped as she staggered back in surprise. “Do you realize the kind of power it would take to accomplish such a magical feat?”

“Would four similar wishes made around the same time on the Winter Solstice under the Northern Lights have enough power? With two of those wishes being made by Kringles.” Kriss asked.

“Four wishes of a similar nature made on the Winter Solstice could have the power. When made under the Northern Lights. Especially if two of those wishes were made by true Kringles. Did such a thing really happen?” Jessica asked.

“You could say that sister.” Kriss snarked. Only to earn a glare from the woman. “Sorry about that. I can be a real smart-aleck when nervous.”

“Relax Kriss. Jessica’s bite is worse than her bark.” Rebecca snarked.

“Wait! What?!” Kriss asked in confusion. “Shouldn’t that saying be her bark is worse than her bite?”

“I did not miss speak. Though it has been a long time since my sister Jessica has turned some poor elf into an ice statue.” Rebecca giggled as she turned to the oldest of their number. “How long has it been Jessica? A week now?”

“I’ll have you know that I’m coming up on a record. If I make it through tomorrow it will be fifteen days.” Jessica said proudly then turned her ire on Kriss. “Rebecca said your sir name is Kringle. Is this true child?”

“Yes ma’am.” Kriss squeaked.

“A true Kringle making a wish under the Northern Lights would be powerful on its own.” Jessica hummed to herself as she scratched her head. “But when you add in the power of three similar wishes, the Winter Solstice, the Northern Lights, and a second Kringle. Then the power of those wishes would be beyond incalculable. Somewhere along the lines of a God’s Wish.”

“That would explain a few things.” Rebecca said as she took in Kriss’ now shoulder length, snow-white hair, and crystal blue eyes. “Jessica would you be so kind as to follow us down to the ROOM.”

“If you’re going there. We’ll need one other Mother Christmas.” Jessica said as she walked over to another door and knocked. “Marry are you home?”

“Yes, I’m home you old bat. Where else would I be at this time of the day?” Answered a woman’s voice before opening the door to reveal a woman in her late forties. This woman also had snow-white hair but wore glasses while giving off the air of a proud German housewife. She wore a traditional Dirndl consisting of an ankle length, red dress with a tight bodice and a deep rectangular neckline over a white long sleeve blouse trimmed with red. She wore a wide white apron over the skirt with a high waist. “Have you figured out what has happened to our homes or are you just raising another ruckus?”

“I got half the answer sister. If we want the other half. We have to go down to the ROOM. We have a small problem.” Jessica told Marry honestly.

“What is going Jessica?” Marry asked as she stepped into the hallway. She took one look in the direction that Jessica was pointing. “Oh boy! When you said we got a problem. You made the understatement of the millennium.”

“You think?” Kriss snarked as his smartass bone kicked in. “By the way. What is up with everyone having white hair? None of you ever hear of Clairol?”

“Why you little so and so!” Marry snarled as she gathered a ball of snow magic in her hand. “I’ll show Clairol.”

“Relax Marry. The boy is having a hard enough time as it is.” Jessica told her fellow sister and Mother Christmas bluntly.

“Wait. What do you mean by boy?” Marry gasped.

“She means that I got something between my legs that you don’t lady.” Kriss snapped. “You need for me to drop my pants?”

“Oh Goddess. This shouldn’t be happening. Come with me ladies. The Star has to have an answer.” Marry said as she grabbed Kriss by the hand and pulled. “You don’t leave my side for anything.”

After a ten-minute walk through the mansion to the lowest level the foursome came to a massive door. On the front of the door was carved the North Star. Marry turned to her three companions. “Behind this door is the Christmas Star. What the Star says is law. There is no arguing with the Star. Do you understand what I’m telling you young man?”

“Yes ma’am.” Kriss said as he swallowed around the lump in his throat.

With that final warning Marry Christmas, the 35th Mother Christmas, pushed open the door. What Kriss saw inside the room forced him to believe in the magic of Christmas. Before his eyes hung a four-pointed star made from clear crystal. Each crystal was 60feet in length and 40feet wide. The amazing part was the soft glow that came from the star.

“Why have you come Mothers of Christmases past?” The star asked.

“Great Spirit of Christmas. We seek answers concerning this boy.” Jessica began only to have the voice cut her off.

“The child is the last child of the Kringle. Her wish has been answered. As were the wishes of her family and Rebecca Kringle.”

“But he is a boy.” Rebecca said.

“Only in body. His soul is that of a proud woman.” The voice boomed.

“Kriss what else did you wish for? Did you also wish to become the girl that you hide inside?” Rebecca asked as she taped the boy in the chest.

“Yes ma’am.” Kriss answered with far more honestly that he expected.

“The child has spoken her truth. A wish was made. A wish was heard. A wish was granted. Mothers of Christmas witness this truth. Welcome your newest sister.” The voice boomed our once more.

“What if I don’t want to be the next Mrs. Claus?” Kriss yelled.

“Your truth has been spoken. Wishes were made. Wishes were granted child of Kringle. A price must be paid. This is all that matters.” The star told him.

“What the hell does that even mean?” Kriss demand only to be greeted by silence. “Answer me damn you!!”

When no answers came after ten minutes Kriss started to cry. He felt the arms of Rebecca slowly warp him in a tight hug. “Come sisters. Let us take to boy to bed. I doubt that the Star will revile more to us this night.”

Chapter 5
A new name.
Home of Santa Claus.

When Kriss woke he thought that he was still in his bed at home. That the previous day had been nothing more than a dream. That was until he felt the silk rubbing against his skin. The next thing he noticed was the white haze that everything had as he opened his eyes. Reaching up to find out what was blocking his vision Kriss got his next big surprise. The white was hair. To be precise it was his hair.

“Okay it wasn’t a dream.” Kriss sighed as he moved the hair out of his eyes. That was when he saw the sleeve of the nightgown, he was wearing. “Yup it most definitely wasn’t a dream.”

That was also when he got a good look at his hands. Only they weren’t the hands he was used to seeing. These were the hands of a teenage age girl. This drew his attention to the small bumps forming under the bodice of the nightgown. Pulling the silk away from his chest Kriss sighed at the sight that greeted him. There before his eyes were the first stage of a teenage girl’s breasts. The only problem was they were on his chest. With more than a little trepidation he reached between his legs. First, he felt the silk panties under the gown then his manhood.

“Okay I’m still a boy. At least for now.” Kriss said to the empty air of the room. “The question is for how much longer.”

Seeing a standing full-length mirror Kriss made up his mind. He slowly climbed out of the bed and walked over to the mirror. “Why do I get the feeling that this is a bad idea. Whelp no time like the present I guess.”

“Facing one’s truth is never easy child.” The voice caused Kriss to jump. It was the same one from the room with the Star. “Yes, child I am the Star.”

“And a whole lot more.” Kriss whispered.

“You have seen the truth that has eluded your sisters child. Yes, I am also the ethereal embodiment for the Spirit of Christmas.” The voice said. “You have questions still to ask. I will answer those that I can.”

“Why was my unspoken wish granted?” Kriss asked quietly.

“Your true heart called out to the magic child.”

“Jessica Kringle said that the power of those four wishes was equal to a God’s Wish. What does that mean?” Kriss asked as he stepped in front of the mirror. “Oh wow! It that really me? I look like Elsa from Frozen.”

“Yes, child that is you. You are now the embodiment of the Winter Goddess of the North herself. As for a God’s Wish. That is what humans would call a grand miracle. A feat of magic brought about by the emotions of gods.”

“Why do I have to marry the new Santa Claus? Why can’t I be Santa?” Kriss asked the voice sharply.

“Do not ask me last child of the Kringle. Ask your spirit child. I can only tell you that it is the law.”

“What fudging law?” Kriss demanded then asked. “Why can’t I curse?”

“Have you ever heard of Mrs. Claus cursing?” The voice answered first with a soft chuckle. “The law that I speak of concerns Father Christmas. It is a supernatural law. Unlike the natural laws that govern the universe. Supernatural laws supersede them. The Spirit of Christmas is made up of both masculine and feminine energy. Father Christmas is the masculine. Mother Christmas is the feminine. Both must be held in balance. Therefore, we have Santa Claus and his wife Mrs. Claus.”

“Just flipping great. I’ll deal with that when the time comes. Maybe you can explain why all the other Mothers of Christmas are now under one roof? I know that none of them are happy about that change.” Kriss asked.

“Because you will need them child of Kringle.” Came the answer.

“Okay what the heck does that mean?” Kriss snarled. “And why do you keep calling me child of Kringle? Sure, my dad’s last name was Kringle, but the way you use it sounds like there is some kind of special meaning.”

“The first mortal to become Mother Christmas was Jessica Kringle. She had a child that did not follow her into immortality. You are the last child of her mortal line. Of all those who have been Santa Claus and Mrs. Claus. The Kringle bloodline has always been the most powerful.”

“I still don’t understand why all the previous Mother Christmas’s need to be under one roof. Who cares if I’m powerful?” Kriss grumbled as he studied himself in the mirror. The more he looked at his reflection the more he found changed. The biggest change was his skin tone. He was pale before but now his skin tone was practically porcelain white.

“They will be your teachers child of Kringle. Unlike all the others. You possess all of their powers. You are the most powerful of them all.”

“Oh man. Now I get it. Each Mother Christmas has slightly different powers. None of them have them all not even the first. Then I come alone and bang! I get the whole frapping enchilada.” Kriss grumbled. “Man, this not being able to use cuss words is going to get old fast. I sound like some prissy schoolteacher from a fifties sitcom.”

“Then do something about it child of Kringle. Take control of the magic that is changing you. Make it your own.”

“That is like the third or fourth time someone told me to do something like that. I still don’t understand what you’re talking about.” Kriss grumbled.

“Why do you think that the younger looking Mrs. Claus’s look the way that they do. They made a conscious choice in how they would appear. They did not let the so call popular appearance of Mother Christmas control their magic or their lives. It was the ones that didn’t try to control the magic that took on the older appearance of Mother Christmas.” The voice told him. “If you want to appear less like this Else person. Then I suggest that you bend the magic to your will.”

“Okay let me get this straight. I can control how I look to a certain extent. Is that right?” Kriss asked as smile came to his face.

“That is correct. However, you cannot stop the change from male to female.” The voice told him. “Not even I can stop the power of the wishes that hold you in their grasp child of Kringle.”

“Gotcha. I think.” Kriss looked into the mirror and thought about how he wanted his female persona to appear. At least how she should appear in his mind. Everything after that was easy. The magic just seemed to flow around him. Just as his hair flowed down the length of his body until it reached his knees. He knew that he couldn’t stop his change from male to female, but he could fix his appearance. He had just got the image of his face fixed in his mind when Rebecca stepped into his room. The sight of her figure changed everything else. Before Kriss realized what he was doing he let the magic shape his body to match hers.

“Oh my. That is a rather extremely feminine look for you Kriss. Are you sure about this dear?” Rebecca asked.

“Not much else I can do about it now. I lost control of the magic.” Kriss told her honestly. Then gave her a strange look. “Is something wrong ma’am?”

“No. Nothing is wrong. I just stopped to see if you were awake yet. You gave us all a rather nasty scare last night.” Rebecca told him. “And you can call me either Rebecca or sister now.”

“I kind of don’t remember a whole lot after we left the Room.” Kriss blushed.

“You fainted dear. Your older sisters, Jessica, and Marry, carried you up the stairs. From there we had two of the maids take you to your room.” Rebecca told him. When she saw the heavy blush come to the girl’s cheeks she just chuckled. “Child most of the maids in this manor are over fifteen-hundred years old. You have nothing they haven’t seen before.”

“Oh man! Can this morning get any crazier?” Kriss moaned then grunted as something started to squeeze his waist. “What the heck is crushing my torso?”

“That would be your sleeping corset little sister.” Rebecca smirked.

“What are you talking about sister?” Kriss asked in confusion.

“It seems that you went and incorporated part of my image with yours.” Rebecca giggled. “Looks like I won’t have the smallest waist anymore.”

“Exactly what does that mean sister Rebecca?” Kriss asked in confusion.

“I became the current Mother Christmas in eighteen-seventy. During what most people call the Victorian era. My appearance was guided by the ideals for women of that era. I have worn a corset every day of my life from the time I was eleven. Now that you have accidentally incorporated that with your own image of Mrs. Claus. You will be wearing a corset everyday as well.” Rebecca explained for the younger woman.

“Oh man. Why didn’t you knock before coming in?” Kriss whined.

“I did knock Kriss. When you didn’t answer I got worried.” Rebecca told her honestly then hugged the youngster. Letting Kriss go Rebecca smiled. “Tell you what. Why don’t we get you bathed and dressed for the day. I’m sure that Jumana still has some fresh bread for breakfast.”

An hour later Rebecca helped the almost teenage girl to get dressed. Kriss was surprised at what she would have to wear from now. First were the plan silk panties and nude bodystocking. Over the bodystocking and around Kriss’ long slim torso Rebecca wrapped a heavily boned corset made from the finest of lines and strongest of fabrics. The corset pulled Kriss’ waist down to a very stylish yet still comfortable 18inches. Next Kriss put on a red thermal bodystocking that; with the exception of her hands, covered Kriss from the neck down to his toes. The last part of Kriss’ base layers was a pair of thick wool knee-high black boot stocks that covered her lower legs and feet.

“Is all of this really necessary sister? It’s not like I’m going outside.”

“Do you want the truth?” Rebecca asked bluntly. When Kriss nodded her head Rebecca sighed. “All of this is extremely necessary. While you don’t feel the cold like you used to Kriss. It will still seep into your bones throughout the day. Without everything you’re wearing now, by the end of the day you will be curled up under a blanket.”

“I hadn’t thought about that.” Kriss say quietly as she looked towards the fireplace. “Why don’t we have a more modern way of heating the house?”

“There are certain concessions that we must make for the magical power that we’ve been given. One of those concessions is the level of technology that we are allowed to possess. While we have do have some modern electrical amenities. The rest of the manor is still very much locked in the Victorian age.” Rebecca told Kriss with a sad smile. Then went on to explain at the confused look on Kriss’ face. “While we have electrical lights, a TV, and something called a computer in your office. We still have to cook on coal burning stoves and heat with coal burning fireplaces. Another downside is while we have running water and indoor plumbing. The hot water that we use is still heated by burning coal furnace.”

“Oh, I get it now. There are certain things surrounding the legends of Santa Claus and his wife that are required for our magic to work correctly. But to keep up with modern times and the way of life that each new Santa and Mrs. Claus is used to. The magic allows for small changes within the manor. At least I think that’s how it works.” Kriss said as he pulled on the knee length red skirt that Rebecca handed her. “Can’t I wear pants?”

“Sorry little sister, but” Rebecca never got to finish her comment.

“But it’s part of the image.” Kriss sighed then giggled. “And image is a big part of the magic that surrounds us. Right?”

“Very much so little sister.” Rebecca smiled as she hand him a sweater. As Kriss pulled the sweater over her head Rebecca turned thoughtful. “Kriss, I know that this might sound pushy. Have you thought about your new name?”

“Not really Rebecca. I thought I would just use Kriss instead of Kristopher. I mean Kriss is a unisex name.” He grumbled.

“Before we go further you need to know something. To fix your image the way you want. You need to choose your new name.” Rebecca told him. At the look of confusion on the youngster’s face she sighed. “Your name is tied to your image Kristopher. If you choose a unisex name. Then the magic will continue to change you against your will to fit the newest popular image for Mother Christmas. Seeing as how that image is of a middle-aged fat woman.”

“I get it. Say no more.” Kriss grunted as realization hit home. “If I have to be the next Mother Christmas. Then I’ll be my kind of Mother Christmas. I only got one problem. I cannot think of any female names.”

“Might I make a suggestion?” Rebecca asked. Kriss just nodded his head. “Long ago I had a daughter. I had named her Kristin after one of my ancestors.”

“Rebecca before you became Mother Christmas. Where was your home? By that I mean who were you before all of this.” Kriss asked.

“I was born and raised in New York, New York just after the Civil War. I was married to a wealthy banker just after my sixteenth birthday to settle a debt between and my father. I had my first child just before my seventeenth birthday, my daughter Kristin. Two years later a few days after my nineteenth birthday. I gave birth to a set of twins. A little boy and girl. That same year while staying at our country estate I lost my husband and all three children to smallpox. Why do you want to know?” Rebecca asked him.

“Well, I know this is going to sound crazy, but my dad used to tell me a story about a great aunt from the Victorian era that just up and disappeared when she was twenty. Did your family come from Northern Germany?” Kriss asked her with a hopeful gleam in his eyes.

“Originally, we were from the Kingdom of Prussia. That was during the early half of the nineteenth century. I think it was around eighteen-thirty. I do know that my family fought on the side of the Federalists during the Civil War. Why? Does any of this mean something to you?” Rebecca asked him.

“You had a younger brother named Randolph. Two years before you vanished, he headed west to New Mexico. There he made his fortune as a cattle rancher. He is my great, great, great, grandfather.” Kriss told her as he wrapped her in a hug. “I really did get my family back.”

“That you did dear.” Rebecca whispered into his hair so that she could hide her tears of joy. “We really need to find you a new name.”

“What do you mean? I already got a new name. It’s Kristen Angela Kringle. After our great ancestress.” Kriss proclaimed proudly. The moment the words left his mouth Kriss was filled with a blinding light. Rebecca knew what was happening and stepped back a few feet. For Kriss the power was unlike anything he had ever felt before. To his surprise he realize that it was the magic that was transforming him. Taking hold of the magic Kriss used it to complete his transformation and become the woman he was meant to be.

When the light faded away Kriss smiled over at Rebecca. “I don’t think I’ll be needing the rest of the year to complete my change, Rebecca.”

“Behold Kristin Angela Kringle, the Snow Maiden. Rightful heir to the Mother Christmas, Mother of Scandinavia, Goddess of Winter, Goddess of Skiing, Grandmother Frost, Queen of the Vanir, and Yule Mother, Rebecca Kringle, eighth of the Kringle line.” The voice of the Christmas Star boomed throughout the house and surrounding valley.

“Oh boy. I think I just messed up.” Kriss whispered.

“No, you did something every right Kristin.” Rebecca told the new girl with a smile. “Let’s finish getting you dressed.”

Chapter 6
Dining room hijinks.
Dining room, Home of Santa Claus.

Kristin was a little surprised that she was allowed to wear boots in the manor. She knew that during Victorian times it was considered improper for ladies to wear boots within the mansions of the wealthy. Most of the time women of wealthy families wore low-heeled court shoes while in their homes. The only time they wore boots was when they went outside of their homes.

When she was still in high school Kristin’s history teacher made her write a paper on the Victorian era. The assignment of the paper was on the lifestyle of the wealthy. Thankfully she was assigned a partner for the power. A girl named Kathy Sorizen with a connection down at local historical society. They were able to get a lot of information about Victorian high society.

As they entered the main dining room Kristin was brought up short by the number of people. There were thirty-six, white-haired, blue-eyed, women sitting around the four tables. All but one table held ten women. It was to this table that Rebecca led her. As they walked to the far end Kristin smiled at seeing Sally and Donny sitting there next Jessica.

“Hi there, you two. I hope you’re feeling better this morning?” Kristin asked them as she sat down.

“Yes, thank you Miss.” Sally answered then did a double take. “Kriss?”

“Hi kiddo. How’s the leg?” Kristin asked her.

“The good news is the doctor said that the breaks are all clean. The bad news is I have to wear a full leg cast for the next few months. One of the breaks is near my ankle. While the other is just above my knee.” Sally told her honestly then blinked her eyes. “Kriss there is something different about you this morning. Did something happen last night?”

“Let’s just say that I have accepted certain things. Now what about you Danny? What did the doctor say?” Kristin asked him.

“Just like Ms. Rebecca said last night. My arm is broken in two places. I get to wear this cast for the next three to four months.” Danny answered as he spooned in a mouthful of hot oatmeal. After swallowing he gave Kriss a strange look before asking. “Kriss why are you dressed like a girl? Why do you look like Ms. Rebecca and the other women around here?”

“Because she is going to be the next Mrs. Claus dummy.” Sally snapped then clasped her hands over her mouth. At the look Kristin gave Sally mumbled through her hands. “Sorry about that Kriss.”

“Don’t worry Sally. Danny was going to find out sooner or later.” Kristin said to ease the younger girl’s guilt and embarrassment. Kristin looked over the very shocked Danny. “Listen up little brother and sister. There are a few things you two need to know.”

“What do we need to know, Kriss?” Sally asked with a grin.

“Pay attention young Enchantress. Your sister is about to explain a few things for you and your brother.” Rebecca told her then pointed to Sally’s oatmeal. “Eat up child. You need the nourishment to heal.”

“Here’s the deal you two. First off magic is very real, and around here it is very powerful. Second you remember those wishes you made yesterday. Well, they weren’t the only ones, and they all came true. You are now my little brother and sister. Third the only reason those wishes came true is because of the Christmas Spirit. It picked me to be the next Mother Christmas. By doing this it granted me both of my heart’s greatest desires. I get to be a woman and have a family again. While the two of you get to have the older sibling that you always wanted. The fifth one is a little hard to explain. It kind of goes back to the whole magic is real thing.” Kristin told them.

Only to gasp in surprise as Sally held up her right hand as a ball of snow formed in her palm. Danny just smirked as he set his spoon down then held his hand at shoulder level palm up. The air swirled over his palm and a snowball formed out of nowhere. Just like it had for Sally.

“Oh my. What a splendid start to the day. Both a Winter Warlock and a Winter Enchantress within our halls at the same time. It has been a long time since we have had such illustrious company.” One of the other Mother Christmases said in surprise. “Rebecca you must introduce your guests.”

“Noel will you please let the children finish breaking their fasts. Before you start harping on them.” Jessica Kringle snarled from beside Danny. “Besides you already know that the next Mother Christmas has arrived. Why do you still keep hoping for one of your descendants to be chosen?”

“It’s not like you Kringles are the only ones who can be Santa or Mrs. Claus. The last time I looked there are thirty other families represented here.” Noel snapped as she jumped to her feet and faced the others. “Everything was just fine until last night. Then this upstart appears, and we’re all forced to return to the main house. I say that it is time for a change. The Kringles have lorded their position over us for long enough.”

“Oh, shut up you old bag.” Kristine snarled as she stood up. “I got news for you. I never wanted the job. I had nothing to do with this mansion. I had nothing to do with you all being drag back here. If you want to be angry with someone. Go fill your complaint with the Christmas Star. If that doesn't satisfy your gripe. Take things up with the Powers That Be. I’m sure they’ll hear you. Right before they send you to your retired husband.”

The threat of being sent to rejoin her Santa was enough to silence Noel Claus. Kristin could tell that this was one of the women who let the legend of Mrs. Claus shape her image. Kristin could still see the beautiful young woman that Noel once was hidden by the doughy Grandmotherly appearance. She felt a little sorry for the woman. Reaching out with her mind Kristin did something no other Mother Christmas had tried. She return the youthful figures to ever woman who had been forced to live with the image of a frumpy and doughy Grandmother for centuries.

“What did she just do?” Jessica gasped as she jump to her feet. “How is this even possible? None of us have ever been able to reverse the changes force upon us by the images of past ages.”

“Behold Mothers of Christmases past! The Daughter of Skadi Claus stands among you!” The voice of the Christmas Star boomed throughout the room. Then to the amazement of all those gathered a ball of pure white appeared in the center of the dining room. Out of the light stepped a tall, beautiful, young Nordic woman with the same white hair and crystal blue eyes. “Know this my chosen few. Kristin Angela Kringle shall bring great change to your order. Stand not in her way. It is time for us to return once more to the world.”

There was a loud pop as the Spirit of Christmas vanished from the room. Kristin looked over at Jessica and Rebecca. “Was that really who I thought it was sisters? Because if it was then I’ll need to go change my panties.”

“You won’t be the only one little sister.” Rebecca answered with a gulp. “And yes, it was really her. The first Mother Christmas, Skadi Claus. Founder of the Kringle line and mother to our sister Jessica.”

“Ah man. All I wanted was something hot to eat, a cup of coffee, a cigarette to wake up, and then go check on my plane.” Kristin grumbled much to the amusement of Sally and Danny.

“Once a bush pilot, always a bush pilot.” Danny crowed.

“Like Carl Perkins says. You can take the girl out of the country, but you can’t take the country out of the girl.” Sally giggled.

“Wait a minute there young lady. You have that saying wrong.” Marry Christmas giggled. “But in this case, you might be right. Though I do not know what your brother means by bush pilot.”

“Oh, that is what we call airplane pilots like Kriss, ma’am.” Danny answered.

“Call me Aunt Marry, Daniel. The same goes for you Sarah.” Marry told them. “Now what is an airplane pilot?”

“That is what I am, sister Marry.” Kristin told her. At the blank looks of the older women Kristin sighed. “How many of you know what an airplane is?”

When none of them raise their hands, Kristin sighed. “This is going to be a very long morning. Rebecca remember that long metal tube you find us in?”

“Do you mean that flying metal machine of yours?” Rebecca asked.

“Yes, ma’am that is my airplane. It is a machine that you fly from inside at the front end.” Kristine said. “It has these very powerful engines that pull it the through sky.”

“These airplanes are not magical sleighs?” A woman at another table asked.

“Kristin, I think we might need to show them all exactly what an airplane is before we explain further.” Sally giggled behind her hand as Danny snorted. “No comments from the peanut gallery brother dear.”

“I believe that Sarah has the right of it Kristin.” Jessica said with a small smile herself. “It would make explaining things much easier if our sisters had something to reference. Outside of you. I am the youngest of us and even I don’t know what an airplane is. If you said balloon, I would understand.”

“Oh yeah. I kind of forgot that you’re from around the middle of the Victorian era.” Kristin said with a heavy blush of embarrassment causing Sally and Danny to cough in surprise. “Are you two, okay?”

“We’re fine Kristin.” Sally answered as she looked over at a smiling Marry.

“Yes dear. Of all of us in this room Rebecca is the youngest Mother Christmas. She is also the longest serving. I think she has been Mother Christmas for just short of one-hundred-and-fifty years now.” Marry told her.

“One-hundred-and-forty-nine and not day over that Marry. It’s not my fault no one was found to replace me until now.” Rebecca sadly grumbled. Then gave Kristin an apologetic look asking for forgiveness.

“Like we were told last night sis. Wishes were made. Wishes were granted. Not your fault.” Kristin told her aunt with a smile. Then looked over at Danny and Sally. “By the way you two. Why are you still wearing the same clothes from yesterday? Didn’t they have anything to fit you?”

“At least you have clothes that don’t make you look like a cosplay reject from the Sound of Music.” Sally grumbled. As Danny nodded his head. It took Kristin only seconds to realize what her new little brother and sister were getting. It took everything she had to keep from laughing at them. At the cross look from them both Kristin gave in and giggled.

“I hate to tell you this guys, but most of the legends surrounding Santa and Mrs. Claus come from Scandinavia, Western, Central, and Eastern, Europe.” Kristin told them before giggling at their looks of confusion. “Here is the deal guys. You remember how I said there was a fifth part that ties in with how magic is real. Well, there’s this thing called sympathetic magic.”

“What is this sympathetic magic?” Noel asked abruptly.

“It’s what you have been calling it legend magic. It is powerful magic that is influenced by the feelings of the world and the legends it surrounds.” Kristin explained for Noel and the other Mother Christmases. “That was how I was able to change you all. I corrected the sympathetic magic that had changed you to conform to the new Mrs. Claus legend of today.”

“Santa must be a very lecherous man in this day and age.” One woman crowed from across the room. “I haven’t looked like this in five-hundred years.”

“The legendary image of Santa hasn’t changed that much. He is still the jolly old fat man everybody knows and loves. Mrs. Claus though has had a major remake in the last twenty years or so. She’s no longer the frumpy old grandmother but a beautiful young woman.” Sally told the room. “The Feminist movement really pushed to change her image.”

“About time. I still cannot figure out how we got stuck with being some matronly grandmother.” Noel grumbled.

“That was my fault sister. The Church had just proclaimed that several of the Eastern and Scandinavian Christmas Spirits were in truth several incarnations of Saint Nicholas. To give more credence to this idea. The Church stole the image of the portly grandfather and grandmother to be the approved image for all Santa Clauses.” A woman explained from the far table. From the way that she was dressed Kristin guessed that she came from the early Colonial days of America. “It was that image that held sway until our dear Rebecca came along with the Victorian ideal that Santa had a much younger woman for his wife.”

“Yah, well unfortunately sometime around nineteen-twenty the grandmotherly image became more popular with the corporate advertising crowd.” Sally grumbled then smiled. “But like I said. The modern Feminist Movement started pushing for a more modern makeover of Mrs. Claus in nineteen-ninety.”

“It is also around that time that more and more of the Eastern European, and older Scandinavian aspects appeared.” Holly Claus told them with a chuckled.

“Is that why the elf that offered to help me dress this morning tried to make me look like an extra from an October Fest?” Danny snarked.

“Pretty much Danny. You got to remember that boys and men from that part of the world wear lederhosen. Even in this day and time. The same can be said of the dirndl dress Sally. I suggest that you get used to the idea of wearing them. I got a feeling that my time in short skirts isn’t long for this world. I got a good look inside my closet.” Kristin told her with a sisterly smile.

“Aren’t your legs cold?” Sally asked her.

“Not at all it has something to do with the clothes I’m wearing.” Kristin answered Sally honestly. “Remember what I said last night. We need to trust the people here. They have our best interest at heart.”

“Okay we’ll wear the stupid clothes.” Danny grumbled. “But I draw the line at wearing a dress. I’ll deal with everything else.”

“I have a feeling little brother. That you won’t be the only one in lederhosen around here.” Kristin giggled. “Now go get changed. I want to check on Rudy.”

“Who is Rudy? We didn’t find anyone else in your airplane.” Rebecca asked in confusion and worry. She might not be a doctor, but she was trained by her father to be a nurse. So, she knew how to search for wounded in accidents.

“That’s what she calls her airplane Aunt Rebecca.” Sally giggled. “It’s real name is Rudolph. After Rudolph the red nosed reindeer.”

“Why on earth would a reindeer have a red?” Jessica asked in confusion.

“Sally, Danny, the story of Rudolph is a modern Christmas tale. Its only been around since nineteen-thirty-nine or forty. I doubt that our aunts know the story or the reindeer in question.” Kristin told them with a smile.

“What are you going to be doing?” Sally asked with a knowing smile.

“What else? I got a plane to check on.” Kristin told her as she left smiling.

Chapter 7
Me and Rudolph
Reindeer Sleigh Shop, Outside of Christmas Town.

Kristine grinned as the Christmas Elf Jolly pulled the sleigh to a stop in front of sleigh shop. She could see the wingtip her DC-4 sitting behind the workshop. Kristin didn’t wait for the shop owner or foreman to greet her. She ran around to the back in the hopes of being able to repair her aircraft. Only to be greeted with crushing disappointment. Yes, her plane was there but it wasn’t sitting on its landing gear. It was being held up by four massive six-foot-tall sawhorses. There was one under each wing, one under the nose gear, and one until the tail.

Kristin fought back tears as she began to walk around her plane cataloging the damage from the crash. She could tell that all four engines would need to be replaced. The nose gear was twisted beyond use. The port side gear was folded backwards. While the starboard side gear was crushed. The belly was crumbled to the point of almost being flat. The nose itself had a massive crease in it destroying the radar held there. The radio antenna was gone.

“Oh man. There is no repairing this.” Kristen sighed as she ran her hand over the nose of plane. “I’m sorry baby. You deserved better.”

“Yeah! You get away from there! That thing is dangerous!” A tall woman built like a muscle builder shouted as she stepped out the back door of the shop.

“If Rudolph drops on me. I deserve it.” Kristin snarled as she rounded on the woman. “This is MY plane!”

“Oh, it’s you. Sorry for yelling at you, missy.” The woman told her as she walked up to her smiling. “If I knew it, was you. I wouldn’t have yelled.”

“No, it’s alright. I can tell that you care about safety.” Holding out her hand to the big woman Kristin smiled. “Kristin Kringle ma’am.”

“Brunhilda Holly, shop foreman.” The big woman said as she took Kristin’s hand. “Did you say Kristin Kringle? As in the new Snow Maiden?”

“Yup. I’m also the pilot for this plane.” Kristin told her with pride then sighed sadly. “Or at least I was until this happened.”

“I’ve recovered a few of the other flying machines that have crashed near the barrier in the last hundred years. Most of them end them were little better than scrap metal. This one though is in better shape than most of them.” Brunhilda told her honestly. “Then again it’s been almost eighty years since the last time a fly machine crashed near the barrier.”

“You should have seen her the day that my mom flew her into Arctic Village. I was only nine at the time. I was the one to name her. Because of the red painted nose.” Kristin told her as she ran her hand over the nose of the DC-4. “I spent the next seven years studying each inch of Rudolph. Every gage. Every control. I learned everything I could about her. She became like a little sister to me. I might have earned my pilot’s license using my family’s Piper Cub. I earned both my multi-engine aircraft and commercial certifications with this airplane.”

“What was it like to fly?” Brunhilda asked her.

“Rudolph is not an IT. Rudolph is a very beautiful, very temperamental she.” Kristin told her bluntly as she rounded on the big woman. “She does this quirky little hop just before she touches down and landings. On takeoffs you had to keep an eye on the rev gage for the number three engine. Then there’s the way the sun would always glint off her frame as she came in over the mountain range. The number one engine would always backfire when it first turned over. The number four engine had a habit of running a little lean at times. You had to drop the landing gear a hundred feet higher than normal because the port side landing gear was always slow coming down. I spent every weekend updating the autopilot.”

As Kristin talked about the DC-4 she felt her a tingle flowing through her. She put it down to nothing more than her feelings about the plane. Little she realize exactly what that feeling was until Brunhilda gasped. Kristin turned around slowly. Only to be greeted by the sounds of popping, creaking, groaning, and moaning metal. She could only stare at the glow surrounding her as it returned to its precrash state.

The first thing that happened was the landing gear coming down. Soon the plane was standing level on its own. The crushed belly panels popped out one at a time. The propellers straightened out as if they were new before her eyes. The antenna came flying out of nowhere to take its place on top of the cockpit. The nose made a loud snapping sound as the crease popped out. Within minutes every dent and broken window was repaired. There was more crinkling sounds from inside the plane of things being repaired by magic. As the last of the sounds came from the plane the cabin door came flying out of nowhere to reattach itself to the airframe.

Kristin’s magic didn’t stop with just restoring her beloved DC-4. The glow of her magic settled around the nose began to move towards the tail. As it moved the red paint of the nose spread out over the whole plane. Soon a gold and green circle appeared around the nosecone of plane. The two collars then raced down the side in an intricate swirling pattern of gold and green. The gold trim appeared round each window soon thereafter. Just below the pilot’s window in Dreaming Outload Script and gold paint her name appeared below the block letters spelling out pilot. As the gold paint passed the cabin door a line of gold splint off. That line spelled out Kringle Reindeer Airlines. The inside of the letters were filled with green, red, and white stripes.

“Oh boy! You stay right here missy.” Brunhilda ordered Kristine then turned to run inside. Brunhilda knew that she had to report this to Mrs. Claus fast. As she ran inside the snow swirled up and around to form a set of steps up to the cabin door. Kristine smiled as she looked at the ice steps and climbed them. As Brunhilda ran passed her shop elves one of them yelled out.

“HAY BOSS! Where’s the kid?!”

“That ani’t no kid! That’s the new Snow Maiden! Kristin Kringle! Our incoming boss! Now shut up! I got a call to make!” Brunhilda shouted back as she grabbed up the Kringle jingle. “Sue put me through to the BIG house. NOW!”

“Just a moment Brunhilda. What happened to the sleigh?” the operator asked.

“Nothing! Just get me the big house. I got the new Snow Maiden down here.” Brunhilda snapped out. Then heard the line connect to the main house.

“Rebecca here, Brunhilda. What can I do for you?” Rebecca said.

“Boss I got a major problem down here. Your replacement just did something crazy with that flying machine. I mean totally off the wall magical crazy.” Brunhilda told her boss in a panic.

“SHE DID WHAT?!” Rebecca screeched. “Brunhilda whatever happens. Do not let her leave that stable. I’ll be there as fast as I can.”

Brunhilda had just set the receiver down when there was a load roar from out back. “Oh god what did she do now?”

“BOSS GET OUT HERE!” Her shop foreman yelled as he ran outside with the other elves. Not knowing what else to do Brunhilda followed them outside. She had no sooner exited the back of the shop than the second engine fired over. By the time that Rebecca got there all four engines were running. In the cockpit window sat a grinning Kristin Kringle.

“Brunhilda is that really her flying machine?” Rebecca asked bewildered Brunhilda who just nodded in response. “HOW?! THAT THING WAS WRECKED.”

“Don’t ask me boss. Miss Kristin was just standing there telling me about her airplane one minute. The next she is starting to glow. Then her plane started to well fix itself. That’s all I can say boss.” Brunhilda told her.

“Well, the first Mother Christmas did say she would bring change to our order. I got a feeling that this is just the beginning.” Rebecca chuckled as the engines started shutting down. “Brunhilda, I thought that no modern machines could work up here.”

“They shouldn’t boss.” Brunhilda told her as she pointed towards the airplane with her thumb. “But forty minutes ago. That thing was scrap metal.”

“You do have a point. It seems that our new Snow Maiden is more powerful than even the Christmas Star told us. What does that say on the side?” Rebecca asked as she walked around to the side. “Kringle Reindeer Airlines. What the h-e-double-hockey-sticks?! What’s with the paint scheme?”

“Don’t ask me boss. She did that with her magic. Like she did everything else.” Brunhilda told Rebecca bluntly. “And boss she scared the reindeer droppings out of half my shaft with what she did.”

“You should have seen what she did in the main dining room.” Rebecca chuckled then grinned as the door opened and Kristin stuck her head out. “Did you have fun scaring the Sleigh shop elves?”

“To be honest I wasn’t expecting the engines to fire over.” Kristin said as she ran down the boarding steps. “Come on Rebecca you got to see this. Rudolph is like a brand-new aircraft. She even has all her seats. She ani’t a cargo hauler anymore. She’s a real airliner.”

“Show me your airplane dear.” Rebecca chuckled as she let Kristin drag her up the steps. Once inside Rebecca was amazed by what she saw. This wasn’t the same flying machine that she first saw. “Tell me something dear. How do you guide your Rudolph through the air?”

“Oh, all that happens up here.” Kristin gushed. Then showed Rebecca into the cockpit. “This is the cockpit. From up here I can guide Rudolph to just about anywhere in the world. I know what every gage, switch, and nob is for. Though there is one gage that is new. To be honest I have no clue as what it is for. All it reads is CLM.”

“Does it have a needle, that goes from a small red zone into yellow zone, then finally into a green zone?” Rebecca asked. Kristin nodded. “That dear little sister is the Christmas Lights Magic gage.”

“The what gage?” Kristin asked in confusion.

“The Christmas Lights Magic gage. That is the magic that allows Santa’s sleigh to fly through the sky.” Rebecca told her with a smile as she pointed to the gage. “I am surprised to see that it is almost full though. Normally it takes a full year for a new legend to spread among the people.”

“I don’t understand sister. What does the spreading of a legend have to do with providing magical power for my airplane?” Kristin asked.

“Each legend surrounding Christmas takes time to reach the hearts of children around the world. An example of this is Santa’s sleigh. At first it was pulled by two all-white horses. Then by four horses a century later. These were replaced by two reindeer that quickly grow to eight when our home was fixed to the North Pole. The reindeer and sleigh were gifted with flight shortly thereafter.” Rebecca told her with a thoughtful look. “The legends that surrounds Santa and Mrs. Claus are always changing. There for the magic of Christmas makes necessary changes. Though most are to Christmas Town.”

“Could the fact that there is a modern story about an all-red airplane being flown by a white hair young woman at Christmastime have anything to do with how Rudolph looks?” Kristen asked her.

“Maybe. Tell me this story little sister.” Rebecca commanded as she sat down in the copilot’s seat. “Oh, my. Despite how they look these are comfortable.”

“They’re designed to be comfortable, Rebecca.” Kristen giggled then turned serious as she sat down in the pilot’s seat. “This is the story of the Christmas Eve Orphan Flight. It originated in the early nineteen-nineties during the Bosnian Civil War. As the story goes civilian bush pilots were flying into the temporary grass airfields to pick up orphans and fly them out of the war zones when they could. Among these pilots there was one pilot that was particularly brave. A young woman with blonde hair that was almost pure white. She flew a DC-three that was painted a bright red in honor of her ancestor the World War One flying ace Baron Manfred von Richthofen. She made eighty orphan flights as they were known. Yet it was the flight that she made on the night of December, twenty-fourth, nineteen-ninety-four, that gave birth to her legend and the Christmas Orphan flight.”

“She sounds like a truly brave young lady.” Rebecca gusted then asked. “What was it about that flight that gave birth to her legend?”

“It was during the worse fighting of the Siege of Sarajevo. A small group of civilians had gathered thirty-seven orphans at the old Rajlovac Airfield. The Red Baroness flew her plane into that airfield through some of the deadliest antiaircraft gunfire in history to pick up those children. When she flew back out the crews manning those guns never fired once. They say that the sounds of a church bell chiming midnight stayed their hands for one moment in time. Time that the Baroness used to get those children out of the war.” Kristin sighed as she finished the story. “Nobody knows what happen to the Baroness or her plane after the war.”

“Thus, the legend of the Christmas Orphan Flight was born.” Rebecca told her with authority. “Do you happen to know her name?”

“I wish that I did, but nobody knew her name. They called her the Baroness because of her bright red airplane, and she had ties to the legendary fighter ace. Over the years there were unconfirmed reports of a red DC-three landing in war torn countries picking up orphans on December the twenty-fourth from all over the world. The last report was two years ago.” Kristin told her.

“That explains the unfinished book in the legends library.” Rebecca gasped. Then explained what she was talking about for Kristin. “It happen twenty-eight years ago. There was a massive surge of magic within the library of the main house. One that was so strong that it drew not only me but all of the Mother Christmases to the room. There we found an unfinished story book. It told the story of Katherine Richthofen and her husband Charles Kringle rescuing orphans from war torn countries.”

“Holy Christmas Nights! That was my mom and dad.” Kristin yelled as she jumped to her feet. Not saying a word to Rebecca, she opened the airplane’s records locker. Kristin pulled out the flight logs for her mother and father. She opened each one to the same day, then read the entries, before setting them on the console. With tears in her eyes and a voice barely above a whisper. “It’s true. My mom was the Red Baroness of Christmas.”

“It would seem that the Christmas Spirit wishes for you to take up your human mother’s gifts to the world. Just as she flew on those special nights. You too shall fly from here to find those special airfields on Christmas eve.” Rebecca told the crying young girl in her arms.

“What gifts are you talking about?” Kristin sniffled.

“The gifts of hope and magic, child. Hope for a brighter future and the magic of family on Christmas morning. The greatest gifts of all.” Rebecca told her with the pride of a mother.

“If I’m going to be doing that, then we’ll need an airfield. Not to mention a few other things for Rudolph. I’ll also need a few additions to my wardrobe if I’m going to do that.” Kristin giggled as she whipped her tears. “Skirts and dresses are fine for every day, but they’re not practical for flying.”

“The magic surrounding your legend will see to the needed additions to Christmas town. It will also insure that you can land and takeoff safely no matter where you are in the world. Airfields will magically appear near the orphans that are in the most danger. Weapons designed to stop you will fail. With each year the Legend of the Christmas Baroness will grow. Just as it has for the last twenty-eight years. Becoming even more powerful with each telling.” Rebecca told the young girl with a smile. “As for your needed wardrobe additions. There is nothing that Holly and her elves cannot make.”

“Who?” Kristin asked in confusion.

“Remember when I told you that retired Mrs. Clauses often take up positions supporting the town and factory?” Rebecca asked.

“Yes ma’am. Why?” Kristin asked.

“Holly Christmas was the tenth Mother Christmas. When she retired Holly opened a small sewing shop. Now she makes all the clothes worn by the residents of Christmas town. She even makes the suits worn by Santa Claus. She even made the clothes you’re wearing now.” Rebecca chuckled just before there was another massive eruption of magic surrounding the airplane. Rebecca giggled nervously as the airplane turned around. There before the eyes of the two women in a magical haze an airfield formed. “Oh my. I knew that legendary magic was powerful. Yet I have never before seen such a massive change to the legends of Father and Mother Christmas.”

“BOSS YOU NEED TO GET OUT! NOW!” Brunhilda yelled form outside.

“Looks like my work isn’t done yet.” Rebecca sighed then gave Kristin a number 4 mom glare. It’s the one that lets you know she is neither pissed off or disappointed but lets you know that you have some explaining to do. “Let’s go Kristin. I have a feeling that Brunhilda is upset with you right now. You have already upset her work schedule for the day.”

“It’s not my fault.” Kristin started to say only to stop at the look Rebecca gave her. “Okay it is kind of my fault. I did kind of used magic behind her shop and everything, but I really wasn’t expecting this to happen.”

“I know dear.” Rebecca sighed as she patted Kristin’s cheek. “It takes a few years to really control our magic. For now, though. You need to own up to what your legendary magic has done.”

“Yes ma’am.” Kristin said with her head down. “I’ll own up to what I did.”

“Good girl.” Rebecca told her with the pride of a mother. As the two of them stepped through the door of plane they were greeted by the sight of a real aircraft boarding ramp. It had replaced the one Kristin had created with her magic. That wasn’t the only thing that had changed. There was now an ATC tower, a hanger big enough to hold Rudolph, a full runway, and what appeared to be a fuel handler. On the fuel handler was being pulled by reindeer. “Oh boy. I think your legend just made the biggest change to Christmas town in centuries Kristin. This place is without a doubt the biggest facility outside of the toy factory and Santa’s main office.”

“Hey Boss. What do you want me to do with all these elves?” Brunhilda asked from the foot of the stairs. “They just appeared out of nowhere.”

Both Kristin and Rebecca looked over to where Brunhilda was pointing. What they was a group of twenty Christmas Elves. Some were dressed in coveralls, while the rest wore simple office attire under heavy coats. It took Kristin less than a second to realize that these elves were the tower operations crew and ground crews for the airfield. “Leave them to me Miss Brunhilda.”

“Hold on here Miss Kristin. You might be the Snow Maiden, and my new boss.” Brunhilda told her with respect then snarled as she put her thumb to her chest. “But when it comes to the reindeer, sleigh, and everything that flies around here. I’m the HMCIC.”

“The what?” Kristin asked in confusion.

“She is the Head Mrs. Claus In Charge.” Rebecca chuckled. “Brunhilda is the nineteenth or is it the twentieth Mrs. Claus?”

“The twenty-first Rebecca! Don’t go making me older than I am you little twig.” Brunhilda huffed as she crossed her arms. “Now exactly who are these elves and what are their jobs, Miss Kristin?”

“They’re the staff for this airfield Ms. Brunhilda. Most are the ground crew for my plane. The rest are the Tower operations crew.” Kriss explained.

“Then you know why your airplane repaired itself?” She asked Kristin.

“It seems she is carrying on with her mother’s legend.” Rebecca chuckled as they walked down the stairs. “She is the Red Baroness of Christmas. Her first happens this Christmas eve.”

“Hold on there, Boss lady. Are you telling me that we’ll have two flights happening at the same time?” Brunhilda asked in shock. “Do you know how hard it is just keeping up with one magical flight each year?”

“That’s what they’re for.” Kristin giggled as she pointed towards the new Christmas elves. “Just step back and let them do their jobs.”

“What my I to do with them the rest of the year?” Brunhilda asked. “The elves that take care of the reindeer also take care of the sleigh.”

“Do worry Ms. Brunhilda. Your new elves will be doing the same thing for my plane.” Kristin told her honestly.

Chapter 8
Flights suits and union headaches.
Christmastime Outfitters.

Kristin and Rebecca walked into the shop owned by Holly Christmas. Everywhere Kristin looked she was amazed by the styles of clothing that was offered. The styles ranged from every era for the last several centuries. She even saw a section that had nothing but swimwear. “Um… Rebecca I got to ask.”

“You want to know why Holly offers swimsuits. First there is the town swimming pool. Elves love to go swimming on their days off. Next there is Santa’s yearly vacation. By tradition each year on the second of January a Mr. and Mrs. Kringle take a vacation to the tropics. Officially it is to rest up for the upcoming year. Unofficially it is to get away from the coldest time of the year.” Rebecca chuckled. “But we don’t let that get out.”

“Does that mean we’ll be back here for a swimsuit?” Kristin gulped.

“Yes. First, we need to see about getting you your flight suit. Rebecca told the blushing teen with a smile. Then called out. “Holly where are you?”

“What can I do for you Rebecca?” A woman in her late twenties asked as she stepped out from the backroom. She took one look at Kristin and ran over to hug her. “Thank you so much for this morning, Snow Maiden. I cannot thank you enough for giving me back my youth.”

“Holly let the poor girl. She can’t breathe with you crushing her like that.” Rebecca chuckled as Kristin turned blue. When Kristin could breathe again Rebecca got down to the reason they were there. “Holly we’re here on business. Kristin needs something called a flight suit.”

“Are you talking about one of those unfeminine garments that some women are wearing these days?” Holly asked then snorted when both nodded their heads. “Never! Only the most unladylike women dare to wear such unflattering rags. I will never produce such trash here.”

“Holly, do you remember how that unfinished book appeared in the main house’s library twenty-eight years ago?” Rebecca asked her sharply.

“Of course, I do. How could I have forgotten something so amazing. F you remember right I was the second one to read that story. What does that have to do with our new Snow Maiden?” Holly asked in confusion.

“That was the story of her mother. The Red Baroness of Christmas.” Rebecca told her bluntly. When Holly’s eyes popped out in surprise Rebecca giggled. “That’s right Holly. We are witnessing the birth of a new Christmas legend.”

“Is this true young lady? Was your mother really the Red Baroness?” Holly asked her with a gulp.

“Yes ma’am. Though I didn’t know that until just a little while ago. I never knew that she and my dad were flying into all of those war-torn countries. If I had I never would’ve complained about them being gone during Christmas.” Kristin answered her honestly as she fought back her tears.

“Parents often do a great many dangerous things child that they never explain to their children. Most of the time they do such things is so that their children do not worry about them. This was true even during my era. Even I never told my children everything I did to protect them.” Holly told the stunned young woman in her arms. “I was will into my forties when I was chosen to be Mother Christmas. I was married, raised four children, and had buried my husband when it happened.”

“Does that happen a lot?” Kristin asked them both.

“No. You see widows rarely have much to celebrate during Christmas. The few of us that do are rarely chosen because we still have ties to the mortal world. So, the Christmas Spirit passes us by for much younger women.” Holly explained for Rebecca. “I think that Rebecca is the youngest widow here.”

“No, that honor goes to Silvia over at the Coco-cup. She was only fifteen when she was married and widowed a year later. She was chosen to be Mother Christmas a year later just after her eighteenth birthday.” Rebecca told them. “She is still one of the youngest to have ever be chosen.”

“How many other widows were chosen?” Kristin asked.

“Only two others. Daniela in the doll shop and Marry Holiday who owns the deli near the toy factory.” Rebecca told her. “Trust me Kristin. Those of us who were widows before coming here have much better lives now.”

“Rebecca is telling you the truth Kristin. I know that I have had a much better life here at the North Pole than what I would have had if I had stayed where I was.” Holly told her. Then smiled. “Tell me about the flight suit that your mother wore dear.”

“Well, she always wore the same olive-green flight suit. I asked her about it once. Mom told me that it was one of the three she had bought during her time in the Airforce. It was a little snug fitting and showed off her body in more than a few ways.” Kristin told her with a giggle. “Dad would always give her a wolf whistle when she wore it.”

“Ah practical yet sexy. I think I know where to take this.” Holly grinned. “Come with me Kristin. I need to take your exact measurements.”

Once they were in Holly’s private workshop she turned to the teen. “Okay kiddo, remove your sweater, skirt, boots, and union suit. I need you in just your underthings. Before you ask. I need very precise measurements.”

“I thought that you would have them already.” Kristin said as she dropped her sweater and skirt on the chair next to her. “After all you made what I’m currently wearing. At least that is what I thought.”

“When Rebecca told me that her replacement had arrived. I made a generalized wardrobe for you then sent it up to the house. When you picked your image and new name the magic transformed the clothes to match the new you. To make anything else for you. I’ll need to have your measurements.” Holly explained.

“Oh, I understand now. The magic had to have something that would change to fit my image before I choose a name. So, it was magically flexible until I settled on my image and form.” Said as she dropped the union suit on the chair. Once she was down to just her underthings Kristin blushed. “Is this good enough or do I need to go further?”

“That is fine Kristin.” Holly told her as she began to take her measurements. As she worked Holly asked. “Do you have any preferences in color and fabric Kristine? I need to know now before I start.”

“I think I need to stick with red, white, and black as the main colors. I’ll also need a pair of boots to go with the flight suit.” Kristin told her.

“Do you have a particular style in mind?” Holly hummed as she wrote Kristin’s measurements and color choice on a notepad.

“I think it should look a little like a flight suit that Santa would wear but more for a woman. I don’t want it to be too sexy, but I know that no matter how its made. It will end up becoming slightly sexualized by the male populace of the world. In many ways it already has been. I’ve heard a lot of stories surrounding the Red Baroness of Christmas. Most of them describe her as a beautiful woman with pale blond hair, crystal blue eyes, wearing a red form fitting, flight suit, and knee-high leather boots.” Kristin told her.

“Did any of those stories say what the flight suits were made from?” Holly asked as she wrote down more notes.

“Depends on who you asked. The guys with lecherous minds always said she wore a red leather flight suit with thigh-high spiked heeled boots. They were the ones who were always doing their best to discredit the story. The ones that actually believe in the story behind her said her flight suit was made from Nomex. It might be form fitting, but it was more realistic. As were the boots she wore. They were knee high made from leather with a two-inch block heel.” Kristin explained as Holly sketched out a design. When she was done, she showed it to Kristine.

“Does this look like what they described?” Holly asked.

“Yes ma’am. It even looks like what my mom wore. If you were to put a belt with a big buckle around the waist it would be prefect.” Kristin said.

“Not a problem. Come back in a few days and I’ll have it ready for you.” Holly told her then saw the look on Rebecca’s face. “When does she need it?”

“By Christmas eve morning. She makes her first that night.” Rebecca said.

“What?” Kristin and Holly asked at the same time.

“I said that she makes her first flight this Christmas eve.” Rebecca told them bluntly. “Now I know that is short notice.”

“Short notice! You got some never Rebecca! It takes me a full year to make a Santa Suit. Do you know how hard it is going to be a female Santa suit from scratch?” Holly almost screamed. “Never mind! I’ll get it done! But you’ll owe me big time woman!”

“I know Holly. What do you want this time?” Rebecca asked heavily.

“Four bottles of peppermint schnapps. Not a drop less.” Holly demanded.

“One bottle and pretzel.” Rebecca countered.

“Three bottles, no less.” Holly counter offered.

“Two bottles, and a dozen cookies. No more.” Rebecca told her with a grin.

“Done.” Holly shouted then grabbed Rebecca’s outstretched hand grinning. “Come back tomorrow morning for final fitting Kristin.”

“Yes ma’am.” Kristin said as she began to redress. As she zipped up her union suit Kriss asked. “I know it is not my place but what was with the haggling?”

“Special consignment or short notice jobs like your flight suit have a price. It won’t have mattered. You would still have your flight suit by Christmas eve. No way would I let one of our legends leave without a proper suit on their first flight.” Holly explained with a smile.

“In other words, you were making Rebecca pay for dropping a rush job in your lap.” Kristin said with a grin of her own.

“Who said she was paying squirt?” Holly snarked. “If she needed the suit. I would have received a pattern back in March. It would have been ready last June. The whole outfit would have been in her wardrobe by October at the latest. That’s the way the magic works.”

“Then I need to make sure you have plenty of time if I need a new suit from now on. Is that it?” Kristin asked.

“Nope. After the first one is made. I’ll receive a notice if your suit needs to be replaced. But I’ll have you three extras made before next year. Now get out of here. I got work to do.” Holly told them as she push the two out of her workshop. Both women heard Holly calling for materials as they walked out the door. “Ellie, Martha, breakout that bolt of red Nomex. We finally got a use for that stuff. Grumpy get in here. Special boot order for you. Move it people we got a deadline.”

“Why do I feel like I just gave her a real challenge? One that she can sink her teeth into.” Kristin asked Rebecca.

“You did. Why don’t we stop at the coco-shop for a hot cup of coco.” Rebecca told her and led the way. As they entered Rebecca called out. “Sue two Elf Specials with extra chocolate.”

“Coming up Becca. Take your usual seat.” A former Mrs. Claus called out from behind the counter. As they sat down Kristin noticed that the rest of the staff and other costumers were all Christmas elves.

“Yes dear. They’re all elves. You’ll find that the polar bears, fairies, and other winter spirits prefer the tea shop.” Rebecca told her with a chuckle. “Though you’ll find them in here during the scheduled factory work hours.”

“Is there some kind of beef between Christmas elves and the other spirits?” Kristin asked her with a frown.

“Just the usual union and management beef. They normally get along fairly well but every now and then tensions rise. Which as Mrs. Claus is one your duties to handle.” Rebecca sighed then growled. “I should never have let the UEW get their hooks into our workforce.”

“The UEW? Who are they?” Kristin asked in confusion.

“United Elf Workers, Miss Kringle. Samuel Flagstone business manager for the local union hall.” An elf said as he walked up to their table. Kristin took one look at the elf and knew that she wouldn’t like him. “Now about these undocumented Christmas elves you brought in.”

“Look dipstick. If you go anywhere near that airfield or its personnel. I will personally drop you over the middle of the Pacific Ocean without a parachute. You will not under any circumstance endanger the operations of Christmas Town Airfield or Kringle Reindeer Airlines. I hear one word about a strike. I’ll fire the lot of them then bring in outside Human contractors.” Kristin snarled as she stood up slowly to stand over the slimy elf. “I got news for you Flagstone. I hate union reps with a passion. Push things with me. I’ll end your union. I’ll fire every last union member you have and replace them with humans. If you think I’m kidding. Try me.”

“You cannot stop the workers from organizing. We’ll strike.” Flagstone shouted trying to stand up to the Snow Maiden. That was the last mistake he made. Kristin punched him twice before he realized what was happening. “You can’t do that! You’re the Snow Maiden and next Mrs. Claus. It goes against your image to be confrontational.”

“News flash dumdum. I’m not your ordinary Mrs. Claus or Snow Maiden. I don’t have those ancient shackles to behavior you’ve used to push around my big sisters. You try to push me around, tell me what to do, anything like that. You’ll be eating a knuckle sandwich or meeting my favorite heavy combination wrench. It’s a nice three-inch open/box end number from Snapp On.” Kristin hiss as she stood over the union elf rep. “Now get out of my sight.”

As Flagstone rushed to leave the shop. Kristin received a round of applause from the other customers and staff. Rebecca just smiled up at the blushing teen as she sat back down. Reaching over the table Rebecca patted her hand. “I have been wanting to do that for last forty years.”

“By the way sis. Just who or better yet what is this United Elf Workers?”

“Just what the name says dear.” Rebecca told her with a sigh. “In nineteen-seventy-five a labor union representative crash landed in the Enchanted Forest. Shortly there after he was rescued by the Princess of the Summer Court. That man’s name was Jimmy Hoffa. It took only four months to unionize the elf workforce of the Enchanted Forest. Then in nineteen-seventy-six he started expanding the union to other magical places. All ways targeting the largest employer of elves. We thought that the union would die out of he died in nineteen-ninety-five, but the union had gained too much power.”

“Now they basically throw their weight around trying to control the other magical beings like us. Only they can’t because without us. They die out.” Kristin surmised for Rebecca who nodded her head. “Because the UEW doesn’t control the magic they can only do so much.”

“I knew you were smart little sister. You provided that this morning. I just didn’t realize how smart. Welcome to the North Pole and my shop.” Sue said as she put two mugs of hot chocolate on the table. “Sue Northstar. I’m the first and only Native American to hold the position as Mrs. Claus.”

“Nice to meet you, Sue. I noticed that the other customers were clapping as I ran that slug out of here. What’s the deal?” Kristin asked.

“They’re all nonunion. They all work in the smaller shops, for the police and fire department, or other supporting professions. They’re the ones that get caught in the middle when the UEW goes on strike. Which you can expect to happen shortly after you and Santa come back from your vacation.” Sue told her with a knowing grin and a finger beside her nose.

“Sue if someone in management wanted to find out what was going on with the WEU. Where would be the best place to put their spy?” Kristin asked grinning.

“Come to my room after dinner little sister. I’ll give you the full lowdown on the UEW and what they’re up. By the way Rebecca. What’s this I hear about Christmas town getting an airfield?” Sue asked bluntly.

“You can thank our new little sister for that addition to town.” Rebecca snorted as she pointed to Kristin. Then took a drink of her hot coco. “She makes her first flight this Christmas eve.”

“What?! She is going to fly the sleigh?!” Sue asked in both confusion and disbelief. “There’s no way Bubba Claus will let that happen.”

“She’s not flying the sleigh but her own airplane. Do you remember that book that just showed up a few years ago?” Rebecca asked.

“You talking about the story of the Christmas Red Baroness?” Sue asked. “Sure, I remember it. Who doesn’t remember that day. I loved how it told the story of woman rescuing those orphans.”

“Well, that was the story of our little sister’s mortal mother. It seems that the Powers That Be want her to keep making those Christmas Eve flights. You should see her airplane. It is both a beautiful work art and mechanical design. Kristin’s Rudolph screams to be in the air just sitting there.” Rebecca told her honestly. “When I first saw her, I wondered how such a thing could fly through the skies. Now you can’t help seeing that little lady soaring gracefully through the skies.”

The bell over the door rang as two Christmas elves from the airfield walked through the door. One wore coveralls and the other a pair of pants, shirt, tie, and heavy jacket. Both elves looked around then head straight for Kristin. The one dressed like an officer worker spoke first.

“Excuse me Ms. Kringle. May we have a moment of your time?” He asked.

“How can I help you sir?” Kristin asked.

“Well, Miss. We need to know your schedule. Chief Snowfall wants to run a full diagnostic on Rudolph, and I want to nail down the tower staff schedule.” The suit told her honestly then blushed. “I’m Randy Pinetree. Your Tower and Flight Operations Chief. The lovely lady next to me is Crissy Snowfall. Chief of all Ground and Maintenance Operations.”

“Nice to meet you both. Have a seat Chiefs. You don’t mind do you Rebecca?” Kristin asked her politely.

“Not at all dear. You get to know your support staff. I’ll just head back up to the main house.” Rebecca told her as she finished off her coco. “There are still a few things that I need to take care yet today.”

With that Rebecca left Kristin to get to know her support staff. As she walked outside Jiggle pulled her sleigh to a stop. “Where to boss?”

“Back to the main house Jiggle. I still have to go through last night’s toy production reports yet.” Rebecca sighed. “Goddess how I hate paperwork.”

“Even here the world runs on paperwork boss.” Jiggle chuckled and snapped the reins for the reindeer then called out. “Hup! Hup!”

“Jiggle after you drop me off. Please come back here and wait for Kristin.” Rebecca told the elf with a grin. “And no stopping in to see Lacy. She has her own work to get done.”

“Yes ma’am.” The elf grumbled because he had been caught thinking about stopping to visit with his girlfriend at the Coco-shop.

Chapter 9
My first flight.
Kristin’s bedroom.

Kristin nervously sat her vanity as her maid Marybelle slowly braided her hair. She was already dressed in her panties, bodystockings, corset, stockings, union suit and boot socks. All she left to put on was her flight suit and boots. The flight suit and boots had only been delivered a few hours before. Kristin wasn’t worried about them fitting. She had gone down the day before for a final fitting with Holly. No, the flight suit wasn’t what she worried about. It was the flight itself.

“You’ll do fine Miss. I know this is your flight, but you have something that the Santa’s never have. You’ve been flying for years already for starters. Also, you’ll be flying something you know. It takes a new Santa months to learn how to control the reindeer. Some never get the hand of it until after the first two years. That’s why there are always stories about Santa Claus causing some kind of accident. Why do you think there’s that song about Grandma getting run over by a reindeer? That actually happened.” Marybelle giggled from behind her.

“I thought that song was a joke.” Kristin giggled.

“Oh no, Miss. That song is based on a real accident. It happened in nineteen-seventy-three. The current Santa is the culprit of that song. The man was such a poor driver for the first few years that our insurance agent threatened to drop him if he didn’t take remedial reindeer drivers lessons. Even after he went through the training Mrs. Claus had to take out something called SR-twenty-two insurance on the current Santa for the next ten years.” Marybelle giggled as she tied a red ribbon around the end of Kristin’s braided hair.

“I got to ask. How did he run over a person? Shouldn’t have the reindeer avoided them?” Kristin asked in confusion.

“Why do you think a few of us call him Bubba Claus? The man was a beer swilling red neck when he first showed up. It took Mrs. Claus to straighten him out. Her and a frying pan barrowed from the kitchen.” Marybelle giggled.

“Okay wait a minute! How could someone like that end up as Santa Claus?” Kristin demand of her maid. “I thought that the power of Santa only went to those with the most Christmas Spirit?”

“There is s slight loophole in the law that governs the magic surrounding Father Christmas. That loophole is the interpretation of Christmas Spirit. It seems that a person can be filled with great amounts of Christmas Spirit during the season, but for the rest of the year they’re a total jerk.” Marybelle sighed as she thought about the current Santa. “Thankfully this is his last year. He retires after tonight’s ride.”

The comment about the current Santa retiring brought Kristin’s real worry into focus. “I wonder what Rebecca will do after tonight?”

“Don’t worry about your sister, Miss. Ms. Rebecca has already made plans to stick around for you and your younger siblings.” Marybelle told her calmly. “Tonight, you go out there and fly to your heart’s content. Get those orphans to their new families. Bring life and magic to your mother’s legend. The legend of the Christmas Red Baroness.”

“Right. Hand me my flight suit, please.” Kristin asked Marybelle. Once she was dressed Kristin looked into her full-length mirror. “I am Kristin Angela Kringle. Daughter of the Christmas Red Baroness Katherine Richthofen. I fly will into the face of war to bring two gifts to the world. I bring the gifts of hope and magic. I will make my mother’s legend as powerful as Santa.”

With those words Kristin left her room with her head held high. Behind her a very amused Christmas elf just smiled slyly before shimmering into a bright nothingness. In the maid’s place stood the goddess Skadi Claus. The first Mother of Christmas and the founder of the Kringle line. “This one is a true daughter of my line. Brave and head strong. She’ll do well.”

Christmas Town Airport.

Rebecca, Jessica, Sally, and Danny stood on the flight line of the fading afternoon light as the big red plane was rolled out of its hanger. They weren’t the only ones. The rest of the of the Mother Christmases had joined them. They too were excited at seeing the first of their number to fly away on their own. The air was filled with excitement and nervousness. Excitement for their first Christmas Eve Orphan Flight. Nervous worry for the safety of the girl doing the flying.

When the sleigh carrying Kristin reached the airfield, she felt her excitement grow. Her hands twitched to be at the controls of her beloved Rudolph. When she first stepped outside the manor, she thought she would be cold in just her flight suit. Yet she barely felt the chill in the air. During the trip to the airfield, Jingle who was her driver, never said a word to her. Jingle could tell by the look in the young woman’s eye that she was getting ready for this historical flight. As they stopped in front of Kristin’s family Rebecca helped her from the sleigh.

“Are you sure you want to make this flight on your own? It’s not too late to ask Danny and Sally to go with you.” Rebecca offered one last time.

“I would like to, but Santa doesn’t have a copilot.” Kristin said only to have Jessica and a few other Mothers laugh out load. “What have I missed?”

“Kristin haven’t you ever wondered why those mall Santa’s have at least one Christmas elf with them?” Marry asked her with a chuckle.

“I always figured that they were part of the commercialization of Christmas.” Kristin told her honestly. Then grew confused when all of her new sisters laughed even harder. “You mean they’re not.”

“They never were dear. Haven’t you ever heard the term Santa’s helper? Well, that’s because Santa travels with two elves. One of them helps to deliver the presents. The other one keeps him on schedule and navigates. It is that one that is the most important. Because everyone knows that a man would get lost after the first stop.” Jessica told her with a snarky grin. “Now which one of your siblings are you going to take?”

“Both. Let’s go you two we got a flight to make. Sally, you’re in the copilot seat, your job is navigation. Danny, I want you in the engineers seat, you got the radio and radar.” Kristin ordered the grinning twins.

As the three teenagers climbed the ramp Jessica turned to Rebecca. “They’ll be fine Becca. Can’t you feel the magic surrounding them and that airplane?”

“She is telling you the truth Rebecca. I have been out here every day.” Marry Christmas told her. “Of us all I am tied to the town the most. I felt the change as this wonderful place formed. Ever since then the machine has drawn in more and more magic with each passing hour. That plan is indestructible.”

“It is more than that Marry. It is alive.” Brunhilda told them as she joined them. “The plane is nothing like the sleigh. It feels like the reindeer.”

“What does that mean Brunhilda?” Rebecca asked her.

“Everybody thinks that the sleigh is only pulled through the sky. The truth is that without the reindeer it would never leave the ground. They supply the magic that allows Santa to fly around the world. The sleigh only amplify their power. That airplane feels like the reindeer. It is its own scour of magic. It doesn’t need anything else to fly. Just like the reindeer.” Brunhilda explained for her sisters as the stairs were pulled away. “Sisters I suggest that we all head inside now.”

Once the all of the former Mother Christmases were inside the sleigh shop. Kristin fired over the first engine. As it roared to life, they all turned to face Rebecca and Brunhilda. Rebecca just shrugged her shoulders. “Now you know why Brunhilda suggested me come inside. It’s going to get even loader.”

“How much louder Becca?” Screamed Marry.

“Four times louder.” Rebecca shouted back with a grin. They all stood there in stunned silence as the red plane slowly rolled onto the runway. Once it had turned to face down the runway the noise grew even louder. They all watched as the plane started of slowly then raced down the runway to leap into the air. “All we can do now is wait.”

“Not exactly Rebecca. Thanks to this new airfield and that control tower we can track her wherever she goes. Even can even track that sorry excuse for Santa now.” Sue snarled as she watch the reindeer and sleigh run down the new runway. “I figure he would show up. He just had to be the first Santa to use this runway. God I’m going to be so happy to raise a glass at his retirement party. I don’t know how you ever put up with Becca.”

“It wasn’t easy Sue. Why do you think we had separate bedrooms?” Rebecca giggled before sighing. “I only hope the next Santa is a better man.”

“About that Rebecca. I was in the globe room for the Santa’s this morning. There is new snow globe. This one has a soldier standing guard at the Tomb of the Unknowns. Does that have any meaning?” Marry asked her.

“It means that our new Santa will be a man of honor.” Rebecca told her with a smile. “Someone that will understand the ideal of committing to something greater than themselves. A true leader.”

“Someone that will put that worthless elf Flagstone in his place.” Brunhilda laughed as she thought about her biggest pain in the ass.

“About that little snake. Is it true that Kristin threatened to drop him in the middle of the Pacific Ocean?” One of the retired Mrs. Clauses asked.

“She did more than that Beatrice. Kristin Kringle beat the snort out of him in my shop. Then threatened to him with his life if he came anywhere near this place or the elves that work here.” Sue crowed.

“It seems that our newest little sister is going to make more than a few changes around here.” Jessica chuckled as she looked down the runway. “Starting with this flight.”

Chapter 10
Gunfire and politics.
Somewhere behind Russian lines, Ukraine

“Are you sure we’re going in the right direction Sally?” Kristin asked her.

“For the hundredth time yes. We’re going in the right direction Kristin. See this red arrow. It ends in the middle of nowhere.” Sally told her as she held up the navigation map book.

“I’m sorry Sally. I didn’t mean to question you. It’s just that.” Kristin told her with a sigh of frustration.

“You’re used to there being an airfield when you land.” Sally finished for her. “Look Kristin. You got to trust in the magic of your legend.”

“What does that mean?” Kristin asked the younger girl.

“I was talking with Aunt Marry about your legend and the magic that surrounds it. When I found out that you would be flying into war zones. I got worried for your safety. Aunt Marry asked me if I worried about Santa flying into war zones. When I told that I wasn’t she asked me why. I naturally said that the magic of Christmas protected him. Then she asked me how Santa got into homes that don’t have chimneys. I said the magic would provide a chimney for him to go down. Then she asked me how did the reindeer land on slanted roofs. I said that the magic made the roofs flat for them. With each answer I gave her she just gave me that little smile of hers. You know the one I’m talking about. The one that says you just learned something simple but important.” Sally to her with the same smile.

“Oh man. How could I have forgotten.” Kristin moaned. “It was all there in the book. I am such an idiot.”

“No, you’re not Kristin.” Danny told her with chuckle. “You’re a professional pilot. You were trained not to take unnecessary risks. If there was an airfield near by you would naturally use it. You got to get back to your bush pilot training and way of thinking.”

“I need to think more level grass fields and dirt runways. Got it.” Kristin chuckled as she looked over her should at Danny. “Say Danny have you figured out what those extra controls are for yet?”

“It took me a while Kristin, and this is going to sound crazy as a drunken reindeer. They control a set of airstairs in Rudolph’s tail.” Danny said.

“Wait! What do you mean airstair? The DC-four doesn’t come with airstairs.” Kristin said as she spun her seat around to face. “Are you sure?”

“I’m sure Kristin. In fact. I got controls for a lot of stuff that is not on any model of DC-four.” Danny told her then picked up the Engineer’s manual. “I’ve have been reading this bad boy ever since we took off. I’ve been able to work my way through most of what I got in front of me but there are still a few systems I have figured out.”

“Which ones kiddo?” Kristin asked while hiding her worry.

“The ones in that red square. In the book they’re marked as controlling certain types of magical features for Rudolph.” He told her.

“Like what Danny? Tell me exactly which features.” Kristin told him.

“While there’s one feature that controls skies for landing on snow and ice. Another one is for adding in more seats. Even a switch for controlling floats for water landings. It doesn’t make any sense to me. Rudolph doesn’t have any of those features. Just like the airstairs.” Danny explained as he pointed to each of the controls inside the red control panel.

“Danny, Sally, I got a feeling that Rudolph isn’t meant to be flown by just one or two people anymore. She needs a crew.” Kristin told them with a small smile. “A crew that is a family. Just the way mom and dad wanted.”

“Does that mean we’ll be making these flights with you from now on?” Sally asked holding her breath.

“It sure does little sister.” Kristin told her with a smile then had to cover her ears as Sally squealed with joy. Danny just got out of his seat and hug Kristin tightly. He was soon joined by Sally. Their three-way hug fest was interrupted by a beeping coming from Danny’s station. “What’s going on Danny? Talking to me little brother.”

“Hold on sis. I got to figure what the beeping is for first.” Danny snapped as he grabbed the manual. “Okay this is weird.”

“What is going on Danny?” Sally snarled as Kristin concentrated on flying. “We’re ten minutes from landing. We don’t need any problems this late.”

“Hold your damned water, Sally. I’m still learning the controls. Something you should be doing for the copilot’s position.” Danny snarled.

“I have been learning them. There is only so much I can learn from watching Kristin fly.” Sally said defensively.

“Don’t worry Sally. Once we get home. I’ll really start teaching you how to fly. By this time next year. You’ll be ready to take the controls.” Kristin told her. “Danny, I know that I kind of threw you into the deep end.”

“Don’t worry about it Kristin. So long as you have the manual open or nearby anyone can man the engineer’s position. This isn’t like piloting. You can learn to be an engineer basically from reading the book. You have to actually train to be a pilot.” Danny told her as he reached up and flipped a switch on the red control panel. “Okay, our landing strip should be appearing now.”

“Um… am I seeing things or did those landing strip lights just appear out of nowhere?” Sally whispered then pointed out the windscreen. Before Kristin or Danny could answer her the radio crackled.

“Mayday. This is Kharkiv airport to any civilian aircraft. Mayday. Come in any civilian aircraft.” The voice was that of a man. Kristin could tell he was panicking and could hear gunfire in the background.

“Kharkiv airport, this is Kringle Reindeer Airlines flight, KRA-one. Please state the nature of your mayday. Over” Kristin said as she pushed the radio button on her control yoke and answered the man.

“KRA-one we need immediate evacuation of civilian refugees. Over”

“How many? What ages?” Kristin asked.

“Fifty-three. Nine adults and forty-four children.”

“How many adult males?” Kristin asked the man as she looked towards the passenger cabin. “Danny how many extra seats will that switch give us?”

“We go up to a max of eighty-six Kristin anything pass that the fuselage would have to be stretched.” Danny told her then grinned. “But I got a feeling that won’t matter. Remember Rudolph is magical.”

“Four male adults KRA-one.” The man told her over the radio. “They’re willing to stay behind if necessary. The children need to get out.”

“No problems Kharkiv. It’ll be tight but we can squeeze them all in. just have them ready to board the moment we stop on the hammerhead.” Kristin told him before turning to Danny and Sally. “Okay you two. We’re landing in a hot LZ. Danny, I want you on those airstair controls the second we stop. I want that ramp down fast. Sally, I need you to get our passengers seated and strapped in as fast as possible.”

“Yes, Captain!” The brother and sister called out in unison.

Kristin just smiled and turned back to the business of landing her aircraft. Just over seven minutes later Rudolph was touching down in the middle of a firefight. The second Kristin reached the hammerhead she spooled up the port side engines while throttling back on the starboard side engines. That simple act rotated her plane 180 degrees. While she was doing this Danny was dropping the airstairs in the tail. Sally had already left her seat heading towards the back of the plane. Kristin took one look at the group of people running for the tail of her plane and turned to Danny.

“Danny flip the switch for extra seating. We’re not leaving anyone behind.” Kristin order him as she set the throttles to ideal and locked the breaks. Once she had done this Kristin unstrapped and jumped up. She ran to the rear of her plane. “Danny keep an eye on the gages little brother.”

“Gotcha ya, sis. We should be able to take up to eighty-six, but don’t push it.” Danny warned her as he moved to stand over the pilots’ console.

At the rear of the plane Kristin ran down the airstairs. At the foot of the plane, she found Sally trying to get their passengers to board. “Sally get back inside I’ll take it from here.”

“Sure, thing Kristin. Though I think the problem is with the people fighting back against the Russians. The refugees don’t want to leave them behind.” Sally explained for Kristin. Then sighed. “They took one look at me.”

“And turned back around.” Kristin finished for her. “When we get. We’ll head over to Christmastime Outfitters. Before we take off again. You and Danny will both have proper flight suits. This is the last you two will be flying in dirndl and lederhosen.”

Sally just smiled and head up the airstairs. Kristin ran across the tarmac to the building where the refugees were hiding. Inside she took one look around then yelled. “Listen up people. Get aboard the plane now. I don’t have time or fuel to waste. You, there. Are you the leader for the fighters?”

“I am young lady. Why are you asking? Where’s your pilot?” The man asked.

“First off, I’m the pilot. As for why I’m asking. Tell you people to hold out for ten minutes then get their backsides on board the plane.” Kristin told him then turned to the still unmoving refugees. “I told you people to get aboard my plane. Now move it!”

At her sudden outburst the refugees ran towards her plane. More than a few of them gave her strange looks. As the last one ran towards the plane Kristin turned to the leader. “Now tell you people to pull back to my plane. They got five minutes to have their butts on board.”

“We’re not coming young lady.” He started to tell her. Only to have Kristine give him a death glare. “Yes ma’am.”

Kristin just nodded and headed for Rudolph. Five minutes later every last resistance fighter was running for the plane. As the last one climbed the stairs Kristin ran towards the cockpit. “Danny get those airstairs stowed now. Sally get to your seat and start spooling up the engines. This is going to be a hot take off people. Get your backsides in a seat now. Those without one double up with those who don’t. Adults can hold a child in their lap.”

Kristin had no sooner reached the pilot’s seat than her plane started taking hits from gunfire. “Oh shit! Hold on to your ass. Max power Sally!”

“Max power! Take off Kris!” Sally yelled as bullets peppered the side of the plane. Kristin let off the breaks and the bright red plane surged forward. At less than the halfway point down the runway Sally shouted. “Rotate!”

“Rotating!” Kristin shouted as she pull back on the yoke. Less than 10 meters later Rudolph jumped into the night sky. Rudolph left behind only the roar of her engines as she disappeared from sight. The enemy ground troops could only stare in disbelief as the red airplane flew away. Those who witnessed the sight would spread the word of the red airplane that shrugged off their bullets as if they were flies. Their stories would give truth to the legend of the Red Baroness of Christmas.

“We’re clear Kristin. Come to heading two-four-nine, climb to twelve-thousand feet, throttle back to two-fifty, and hold for the next hour.” Sally told her as she looked down at her map.

“Copy that, Sally. Danny how are the engines looking?” Kristin asked him.

“We’re green across the boards Kristin. Even the radar is clear.” Danny told her as he checked the screen. “I’m still getting some funky radio traffic though. I can’t make heads or tails out of it.”

“Let me hear it, Danny.” Kristin told him. It took her less than 10 seconds to figure out what was being said. “Damn. Not good. That’s a Russian Antonov An-seventy-one. They’re trying to direct fighters to intercept us.”

“Got it covered, Kristin.” Danny grinned as he reached up and flipped a switch on the red control panel. “Stealth engaged, captain.”

“Stealth?” Both Kristin and Sally asked at the same time.

“How else do you think Santa is able to avoid detection by all those radars around the world?” Danny asked them with a grin. “His sleigh and reindeer are the first true stealth aircraft. Instead of using technology we use magic. To be honest our system is much more effective.”

“I knew I was right in making you, our engineer.” Kristin laughed.

“Why did you pick me to be your copilot?” Sally asked her.

“Oh, that’s simple little sister.” Kristin told her as she looked over her shoulder at Danny. “I can train you how to fly.”

This brought a laugh from Sally and a glare from Danny. Sally just grinned over at Kristin smiling. “Good one sis.”

“Kristin, I just picked up a strange radar signal.” Danny told her with all the seriousness her could muster. “This one is ground based and powerful enough that it might be able to burn through our stealth.”

“Give me a reverse heading for that radar if you can Danny.” Kristin ordered as she turned back to piloting the plane.

“Azimuth is three-five-one directional off our current heading.” Danny told her as Sally grabbed up her map. “It’s about one hundred and twenty miles out Sally. Can you get a general fix on it?”

“Give me a minute, Danny. This isn’t as easy as it looks.” Sally told him as she broke out a compass and ruler. A few second later Sally looked over at Kristin. “Kris if this map is right, and I have no doubt that it is. We’ll fly right over an antiaircraft site, and it is a big one.”

“We’ll just have to deal with it when and if something happens.” Kristin told them. “As it is we really don’t have the fuel to make any massive flight corrections. We got enough to make it our next.”

“Where is our next stop anyway?” Danny asked.

“I know this is going to sound crazy, but our next stop is Warsaw, Poland.” Sally answered in confusion. “Kristin, I know from our first flight with you. That the DC-four doesn’t have that kind of range. So how can we still be flying? We should have run out of fuel long ago.”

“I can only say that we’re running on more than avgas right now.” Kristin told her as she point towards the CLM gage. “That gage was all the way over on the full mark. Now it is a little over the halfway mark.”

“let me check something in the manual Kristin.” Danny said as he grabbed the book. After flipping through the chapters, he stopped and began reading out load. “Christmas Light Magic is the main fuel source for the DC-Four-CRS. The CRS uses standard avgas to supplement that fuel source. When fully fuel with both CLM and avgas the CRS can circumnavigate the globe.”

“Danny what the hell does CRS mean?” Sally asked him.

“Christmas Reindeer Special obviously.” Danny snarked much to his sisters’ groaning displeasure. “Hey don’t blame me. It’s in the manual.”

The three of them spent the next two hours making jokes as they flew through the night skies over the war-torn Ukraine. Each time the radar warned Danny of an antiaircraft site. Sally would plot their location. Kristin just flew on. They had just crossed over the border to Poland when there was a knock at the cockpit door. Danny turned and opened it. On the other side was the leader for the fighters that had protected the refugees.

“Miss, I want to thank you for rescuing all of us back there. I don’t know how we got out without taking any damage. I got to say that you’re one hell of a pilot for someone so young.” The man told Kristin.

“Our big sister has been flying for a lot longer than people would think. She is one of the best pilots in the world.” Sally told him with a smile. Then turned serious. “Sir we need for you to return to your seat. We’ll be landing shortly, and we really don’t need you here as a distraction.”

“I understand young lady. Before I go, I would like to apologize for what happen back at the airfield. When we first saw you.” He started saying only to stop when Sally held up her hand.

“All is forgiven sir. I know that I don’t exactly look like a copilot right now. We started our day off hosting a bachelor party. We had just landed and refueled when we got the call for emergency evac somewhere in the Ukraine. We had the range to make it your airfield and back. So, we took off.” Sally told him by way of explanation for her outfit.

“It shouldn’t have mattered Miss. You came to help, and we ran away in fear.” The man told her. “I have to admit. When I first saw this plane I though we were begin rescued by the Red Baroness of Christmas.”

“Let’s just say that miracles have a way of happening around Christmastime.” Kristin told him with a soft giggle. One that was echoed by Sally and Danny.

“I cannot argue with that Miss. I thought just seeing this big red airplane landing was a miracle. Then you took all of us on board and flew us out. That was the real miracle. You keep twenty-one families together. In a time and place when keeping a family together is almost impossible.” The man told them before turning to head back to his seat. “Thank you. From all of us.”

“Okay that wasn’t awkward or anything.” Kristin wise cracked. “At least he was polite enough to thank us.”

“Fifteen minutes to Warsaw ATC Kristin. Come right to heading zero-zero-three, and hold.” Sally told her as she looked down at her map. Fifteen minutes later the radio cracked and Sally grinned. “Right on time.”

“Unidentified aircraft at heading one-eight-three this is Warsaw Tower. Come in.” The air traffic controller called out over the radio.

“Warsaw ATC this is Kringle Reindeer Airlines flight zero-one. Inbound with ninety-three souls. How copy?” Kristine responded.

“KRA-zero-one did you say you’re inbound with ninety-three souls? Where did your flight originate? Was a flight plan filled? Over”

“No flight plan was filled Warsaw. We flew out of Kharkiv, Ukraine, behind enemy lines. Kind of hard to fill a flight with people trying to kill you. Over” Kristin snarked and waited for the response.

“Copy that KRA-zero-one. Are you passengers claiming refugee status? Over”

“That is a Roger Warsaw. They’re packed in tight and I’m running low on go-go juice. I’ll need a refill before taking off. Over” Kristin told the ATC.

“Copy that KRA-zero-one. We have the finest JP-four on tap.” The ACT joked. “This round is on us. Over”

“That is a negative on the JP-four Warsaw. My bird only drinks avgas. Over” Kristin told the man with a grin.

“Did you say avgas KRA-zero-one? Over” The control asked in surprise.

“That I did Warsaw. She a Delta-Charlie-four special. Over” Kristin chuckled.

“We’ll have it waiting, KRA-zero-one. Come left to heading zero-zero, drop to nine thousand, you’re next in line. Standby for Tower contact in ten minutes KRA-zero-one. Over” The ATC told her.

“Copy that Warsaw radar control. Come left to zero-zero, drop to nine thousand, and hold for Tower control. Merry Christmas to you and yours Warsaw radar control. Kringle Reindeer Airlines. Out” Kristin said with smile.

“You should have said Ren Baroness Airlines Kristin.” Sally huffed. “We are trying to build your legend after all.”

“Just wait until we take off. I’m going to have my fun with the Tower and ATC then.” Kristin giggled then corrected herself. “Once we’re down and at the terminal our fun will start. That is when we start spreading the legend. Sally, I want you taking care of our passengers. Make sure to tell them that your captain the Red Baroness thanks them for flying Kringle Reindeer Airlines. Danny there should be a pair of coveralls in the flight locker. I want you to take care of our refueling. When you sign for the fuel sign it the Red Baroness of Christmas.”

Twenty minutes later the bright red DC-4 pulled to a terminal ramp. As Kristin was shutting down the engines. Sally and Danny were heading out to carry out their duties. Just before starting their decent to land Danny had pulled on the coveralls. Sally and Kristin chuckled at his grumbling over their color. Not too many teenage boys are fund of red with green trim.

While Sally stood at the door to the fuselage thanking everyone for flying with the Red Baroness of Christmas. Danny had taken the ramp stairway down to the tarmac. Kristin watched the refueling truck like a hawk. Not that she needed to. Danny was all over the fuel handlers. When they went to start refueling without grounding the truck and hose Danny threatened to gut the men. Kristin giggled as Danny snatched the fuel hose from the handlers and proceed to educate them on refueling a avgas plane.

“Excuse me young lady, but did you say that our Captain was the Red Baroness of Christmas?” The leader of the refugees asked just before he exited.

“Yes, sir. My big sister is the Red Baroness of Christmas.” Sally said loudly for all to hear.

“I’m sorry young lady but that can’t be. Your sister is too young to be the Red Baroness. I was there when the Baroness made her first flight during the Siege of Sarajevo.” The man told her bluntly.

“Mom died last year. My sister is the new Red Baroness.” Sally told him proudly. “Like I said earlier. My big sister has been flying for a while.”

“I see that your and your siblings have the same devil may care attitude of your mother, young lady. You all would make her proud.” The man said then exited the plane. With the last of them off an airport manager boarded the plane. Sally could tell right away the man was going to be a problem.

“Excuse young lady, but may I speak with your pilots?”

“Kristin, we got a dipshit on the deck.” Sally called out. Causing Kristin to chuckle as she exited the cockpit. The man did a double take when he saw how young Kristin appeared.

“You can’t be the pilot. Now where is she?” He demanded.

“I’m right here sir. If you want to see my certifications, I’ll be more than happy to present them. Now what do you want?” Kristin asked him sharply.

“Well to be honest young lady. I was hoping to see your mother. This is her plane? Katherine Richthofen is your mother, yes?” He asked Kristin.

“Yes, she was our mother. Mom died last year. Dad died the year before. It’s just been me, Sarah, and Daniel for the last year. I do the flying. Sally takes care of navigation and the passengers. Danny is our engineer and cargo handler.” Kristin told him kindly. “Together we’re Kringle Reindeer Airlines. You call, we haul, anywhere, any time. We get the cargo through.”

“That is most definitely your parents’ attitude.” The man laughed. His laughing stopped when her heard and felt a bump. “Was that the tug hooking up? It better not be young lady. Because you have a lot of questions to answer for that stunt you pulled in the Ukraine.”

“We’re fueled and ready for push off Kristin.” Danny shouted as he ran through the door. He stopped and took one look at the manager then snarled. “Who’s the suit sis? Need me to toss him out?”

“Down Danny boy. Just get to your station. Have Sally start spooling up number three and four engines. She’ll need your help monitoring the gages.” Kristin told him with a friendly smile. “Mr. Zuckoff, I need for you to deplane now. We are pushing off.”

“I told you that you cannot leave.” Zuckoff snapped. Only to have Kristin turn the tables on him with one simple act. She stood on her tiptoes then kissed the end of his nose.

“Merry Christmas and a Happy New.” Kristin grinned then snapped her fingers. In a flash of light Zuckoff disappeared. “Get us away from the ramp Sally.”

“Working on it Kristin. They won’t retract the ramp. I don’t want to damage it as we pull away. Not good for our reputation.” Sally called back as Kristin entered the cockpit. “I’m also dealing with that damned tug.”

“That is my fault sis. Give me a second.” Danny told her then snapped his fingers. They all felt the airplane tug let go of the nose gear. “Clear.”

“Full power to numbers three and four. When I tell you fire over one and two, Sally.” Kristin told her. “Danny keep your eyes on the rev gages. Be ready to hit the water injection.”

“Got it boss.” Danny called out he turned to his controls. “We got enough for one blast. One blast only.”

“Understood Danny.” Kristin told him as the ramp pulled away from the fuselage. “Turn over one and two Sally.”

“Turning on One. One Firing. Turning on Two. Two firing. All engines turning. Full power in three, two, one. Full power to all engines. Cleared to taxi us out captain.” Sally called out as she kept her hands on the throttles.

“Taxing out. Danny contact the tower. Tell them to clear that ramp. We’re not stopping.” Kristin ordered him as she used the power of her engines to move away from the terminal. Once clear she had Sally throttle back enough to maneuver the plane without straining the airframe and engines. As they pulled towards the hammerhead. The Control Tower kept trying to order them to stop and return to the terminal.

“Kristin they’re threating to fill a complaint with the FAA State side if we don’t return to the terminal.” Danny told her with a chuckle. “What do you want me to tell?”

“Tell them that we are a private air charter service. Then give them a flight plan for Berlin with an ETA of midnight.” Kristin told him with a chuckle.

“Okay. I gotcha. BS time for the brass.” Danny laughed as Kristin pulled onto the hammerhead. “Kristin, we got a five-minute window before the next plane needs the runway. So, get a move on sister.”

“Understood Danny. Sally ready on the throttles.” Kristin ordered as she set the breaks. “Superchargers to max. Full power on all four engines.”

“Superchargers are redlined.” Danny shouted a few seconds later.

“Full power on all engines. Release the breaks.” Sally ordered Kristine.

“Breaks released! Rolling! Call it out Sally.” Kristin ordered her.

“Fifty, seventy-five, one-ten, Danny pump the water. V-one. One-sixty, one-seventy, one-eighty, V-two. Rotate.” Sally called out steadily. Kristin didn’t think twice as she pulled back on the control yoke. Rudolph jumped into the sky. It did take red plane long to reach cursing altitude. Soon to vanish from sight, but not before Kristin had one last bit of fun. Keying her radio Kristen called out.

“Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas from the Red Baroness. To all a good night.” As her radio transmission died Rudolph vanished from sight and radar.

Warsaw Air Traffic Control Tower

“What the hell? How did I get here?” Senior ATC Waldemar Zuckoff blinked his eyes as he looked around the tower’s observation room. Everywhere he looked all he saw was panic. “Better yet. What the hell is going on?”

“Kringle Reindeer Airlines return to the terminal. That is an order.” The ATC on watch screamed into his mike. “I don’t care what your original flight plan was. You will return to the terminal now young man. What do you mean you can’t? Wait! What do you mean you have to be home before your curfew?”

“Oh my god! She really is the Red Baroness of Christmas.” Waldemar gasped. “Clear that ramp. Now! Call of the security!”

“But sir!” The ATC started to protest only to stop mid-sentence. “Yes, sir.”

Then to all of their surprise a musical voice blared over the tower speakers. “Ho! Ho! Ho! Merry Christmas from the Red Baroness. To all a good night.”

“SIR! THAT PLANE JUST DISAPPEARED FROM RADAR AND SIGHT!” One of the other ATC’s shouted from the radar station.

“What?! Are you talking about?” Waldemar demanded. “Aircraft just don’t disappear into nothingness. Stealth is one thing. Invisibility is another.”

“Don’t tell me that sir. Tell that to them. Because that is exactly what they did. One second, they’re on radar and we can see them without aid. The next nothing. No radar shadow, no glinting paint, not even a week signal from their radio transponder.” The man continued to grumble. “We got zero, zip, nada, nothing, the big goose egg, babkas, zilch on that plane.”

“You have to be shitting me. What about the ground crew that serviced that plane? Can they give us anything on that plane?” Waldemar asked.

“The only they were able to tell us it the make and type. Which according to them is a Douglas DC-four CRS. From the outside vision inspection, we were able to make it fits the visual profile for a standard DC-four. The CRS must be heavily modified on the interior.” Another ATC told him.

“Sir I know this is going to sound crazy, but I believe that Red Baroness of Christmas also flew a DC-four. Most people who saw the plane swore that it was modified ten ways from Sunday. It was the only way that she could have done half of the missions she is accredited for pulling off.” Another said.

“Gentleman. I was there when she made that December twenty-fourth flight. The plane she flew was a DC-three. A real tail dragger. The things that woman could do with her plane were amazing.” Waldemar told them all. “If that bird truly did just vanish. Then I can only say that her daughter is a better pilot than the Red Baroness herself.”

“Sir, she called herself the Red Baroness of Christmas. Anyone who could fly through some of the heaviest antiaircraft coverage right now. Then fly out with a full passenger list of refugees through that same coverage. All without a single bullet hole has to be a Spirit of Christmas.” The original ATC said from his place near the observation window. “Sir as much as I hate to say this, but we all just witnessed a true Christmas Miracle.”

Chapter 11
Surprise homecoming.
Christmas Town Airfield. 1225 am.

Kristin, Sally, and Danny did everything they could figure out what they just appeared outside the snow wall. One minute they were over just crossing over the border into German airspace. Then next thing they knew that was a flash of light and they were over the Arctic.

“What the heck just happened Kristin?” Sally demanded as she was forced to grab hold of the control yoke on her side. It was taking both of them to keep Rudolph from falling out of the sky. “Talk to us Kristin?”

“Damned if I know? I’m just as much in the dark here as you are.” Kristin snarled as she flew Rudolph through the snow wall. “Danny, do you have any idea of what happened? These feels like magic to me.”

“It was magic Kristin. Sally let Kristin have control of the yoke. You need to get on the throttles.” He shouted at his sister. “You two get us through the snow wall. I’ll figure out what happened. As it is we’re running on CLM fumes. The only thing keeping us in the air is avgas.”

“Gotcha!” Both girls yelled as one. Five minutes later they punched through the protective snow wall. Ten minutes after that they were lining to land at the new Christmas Town airfield.

“I’ll take it from here Sally. Get ready to lower the landing gear.” Kristin ordered her. “Danny, have you figured out what happened to our CLM?”

“It was used in one massive burst. That’s all I got for right now. Give me another ten to fifteen minutes.” Danny told her.

“Danny dig through that book and find me an answer. I don’t like flying in on a wing and a prayer. I’ll fly by the seat of my pants anytime if it’s just me. I’ll never do it with anyone else aboard.” I told him bluntly. “And one other thing. If we crash this time. You’re pounding out the dents.”

“What you mean I’m pounding out the dents?” Danny demanded.

“The way I see it is simple. This will be the second time I’ve crash in less than a month. The only way that could happen is because one of you is bad luck. Seeing as how Sarah is just too cute for her own good. You have to be the one with the bad luck.” Kristin told him straight faced.

“That is just so wrong. I don’t know where to start.” Danny complained as he flipped through the manual. “I found it.”

“What did you find Danny?” Sally asked him.

“We got a time limit, Kristin. According to this section on the CLM there a failsafe that automatically brings us back home fifteen minutes after midnight on Christmas morning. It seems that on December twenty-fourth, we can only until fly so long as we stay ahead of midnight. If I’m reading this right. So long as we move from east to west staying one hour ahead of midnight the failsafe won’t kick in.” Danny told her as he continued to read.

“What else does it say Danny?” Sally asked him.

“It’s going to take me more time than we got right now Sally to read through this manual. There’s a lot of stuff in here. Oh, when you drop the landing gear you need to use the ones marked with the S.” Danny told her.

“You means these?” Sally asked pointing to the three switches in question.

“Yah. Those deploy the skies for landing on snow. I got another set back here but they’re only for emergency.” Danny told her.

“Gotcha little brother. Kristin come to three-five-five and drop to five hundred. That should line you up with the outer marker.” Sally told her. Kristin didn’t ask questions and did as Sally told her.

“Has the Tower contacted us yet?” Kristin asked.

“Not yet. I got a feeling that we won’t gain radio contact until we’re over the outer marker.” Sally told her.

“Let me know the second they contact us. I got my hands full right now.” Kristin grunted as she pulled back on the yoke. “Damn. Why is Rudy flying like a pig in a windstorm?”

“Because we’re near the North Pole, and inside the magical zone. We’re flying on sheer mechanical power right now. Without CLM this is how she handle.” Danny told her as he doubled checked his gages. “Sally throttle back on one and four. Give us full flaps while you’re at it. That should increase our glide time by more than half. As well as make it easier for Kristin.”

“I hope you’re right Danny.” Sally told him as she throttled the number 1 and 4 engines back to idle speeds. Then she extended the wing flaps fully.

“If we crash Danny. You better run for the hills.” Kristin warned him.

“We won’t crash, Kristin. We just need to use everything Rudolph has mechanically to get us down in one piece. We pushed things a little too close to the edge with our CLM. If we hadn’t used the water injection assist with the CLM. We would have been fine.” Danny told her. “That was my fault. I should have cut the flow of magic by half to three-quarters before I hit the injection. If I had the failsafe wouldn’t have drained the tank.”

“I don’t understand Danny.” Kristin told him.

“I didn’t read the full chapter on the use of the water injection assist takeoff. There is a big warning about using it in conjunction with the CLM.” He told Kristin honestly. “It is the magic that allows the water injection assisted takeoff to work for us. I think it’s meant to be used for emergency takeoffs only Kristin. Like when we’re under fire, and overloaded.”

“You mean like when we were at Kharkiv airport?” Kristin asked with a smirk as she flew the airplane. “Sally give me the landing gear now.”

“We still haven’t heard from the tower Kristin. Are you sure?” Sally asked.

“We need to drop our airspeed some. We’re still coming in a little too hot. I got a feeling that the tower isn’t expecting us for another few hours. Remember how our original flight plan had us returning just before morning. Not in the middle of the night. I think we’re supposed to be like Santa. You know taking the whole night to fly around the world.” Kristin told her.

“Then we’re handling our landing on our own again.” Sally groused. “Danny find that switch for landing field lights.”

“On it sis.” Danny told her as he flipped the switch in question. Just like what happen back in Kharkiv, Ukraine the airfield lights come on.

“Damn. We’re closer than I figured. Kristin go ahead and start your glide.” Sally told her as she lower the landing gear. “Danny, do we have anything for emergency landings on snow and ice? If we do find it and get it ready. We might need it before this landing is over.”

“Working on it Sally. Like I said earlier. There is a ton of crap in this book. It’s going to take me six months of studying before I learn it all.” Danny snarled as he flipped through the manual. “Damn. Most of the emergency landing gear is tied to CLM.”

“It’s not all your fault Danny. I told you to use the water assist. You’re not the only one who has a lot to learn about our new Rudolph.” Kristin told him as she raised the nose slightly. That one act brought Rudolph into the perfect attitude for a landing glide.

“Way to go Kristin! Sally the second we touch down reverse the props. Then go full power. That’ll be more than enough to stop us.” Danny shouted. Even though his sisters heard him they didn’t reply. They were too busy flying the plane. Danny knew that his instructions were heard and were being followed by the way his two sisters carried out his instructions. Two minutes later Rudolph was touching down on the runway. The roar of the four engines coming up to full power in reverse finally got a response out of airfield. The ground and tower crews all came running out of Rudolph’s hanger.

As Kristin, Sally, and Danny brought Rudolph safely to a stop. The groundcrew rushed into action. The tower personnel rushed to the tower. All three siblings looked at each other and started to laugh. Danny looked over at his sisters smiling. “At least our groundcrew is on the bounce.”

“Like I said earlier Danny. We took them all surprise. We’re an unscheduled arrival and it’s all our fault.” Kristin giggled at the looks on Danny and Sally faces when she said this. “We made three mistakes guys. Can you guess what they were, or do I have to tell you?”

“Kristin you’re the experienced pilot here.” Sally told her. As Danny nodded.

“Our first mistake was made back when we took off from Warsaw. Which we now know about. Our second mistake was made when we didn’t call Arctic Tower to declare an emergency. If we had done that the tower personnel would have been on the ball and in the tower. Our last mistake was made during our landing. We used a glide landing. By not using our engines we came in so quietly that no one heard us. That’s why they didn’t react to the runway lights coming on. They only reacted when we throttled up to full power in reverse to stop Rudolph.” Kristin explained for them.

“Oh man. Why didn’t I see all that?” Sally moaned as Danny facepalmed. Then Sally looked out the windscreen. “Oh boy! I think we’re in trouble.”

“Oh man! If we’re lucky they’ll kill us now. But considering as how we just burned up all of our luck. They’re going to ground us for the next few decades.” Danny groaned as he looked out the windscreen.

“Let me handle this guys. I’m the pilot for Rudolph. The responsibility for any and all decisions are ultimately mine.” Kristin told them as she looked out the windscreen at the gathering Mother Christmases. “I’ll deal with our illustrious aunts and mother.”

The two teens shared a look then nodded their heads. Using their twin speech, they had a very short conversation. One that Kristin was unable to follow. Once it was over, they both nodded their heads and turned to Kristine.

“Where you go. We go. We are a family.” They said unison. Leaving Kristin in wonder at their conviction. “We will face our family together.”

“Alright. Let’s go.” Kristin told them with smile. By the time they got to the bottom of the boarding ramp all of the Mother Christmases had gather. The first of them to say or do anything was Rebecca.

“Welcome home, sister.” Rebecca said as she grabbed Kristin up in a rib popping, spine cracking hug. When she set Kristin down, she passed the young woman off to Jessica. Rebecca grabbed up Danny next. Sally was the next to receive a massive hug in welcome. Only after all of the Mother Christmases had hug the trio did Rebecca

“Sister, before this goes any further. I suggest that we take this some place less public.” Holly told them as she looked towards the Christmas Elf groundcrew and tower staff. “This is not for others to hear.”

“You’re right Holly.” Rebecca sighed. Then glared at all three of her rebellious charges. “We’ll continue to this back at the main house. You three have one hour to take of putting Rudolph to bed. Then you better be in the main dining room at the house. You will answer our questions. Understood?”

“Yes ma’am.” All three squeaked then ran to help put away their airplane.

“You know something Rebecca. There are times when you can be truly scary.” Jessica said with a chuckle as they all returned to their sleighs.

“Coming from you Jessica. The original Grandmother Frost that is a complement of the highest order.” Rebecca chuckled. “Let’s head back to the house. I figure by the time the children get there. They’ll be able to answer our questions with ease. I doubt they’ve knew out about the failsafe until it was too late for them to do anything.”

“I have the feeling that their bright red reindeer will take all of them to fly. I can feel hidden powers yet to be found by them. It might not be a sleigh, but it flies that means it under my preview.” Brunhilda told them. “The legend maybe Kristin’s but it is powered by all three of them.”

“Rebecca, I noticed that young Sarah and Daniel weren’t wearing flight suits like Kristin. Please bring them by my shop tomorrow. I simply must correct this mistake.” Holly ordered her as she passed.

“I guess you just got your marching orders.” Jessica Kringle snarked. Then she turned serious. “First we need to deal with our current problem.”

“I agree boss. Those kids cut things way too close. I could tell that Rudolph was only flying because of the way it was designed and built. When it landed there was not one drop of magic helping.” Brunhilda told her bluntly.

“Was it truly that close?” Rebecca asked her only to get a nod of the head. “Damn those three. Why would they do something like?”

“What did Daniel say about Kristin? Once a tree pilot. Always a tree pilot.” Marry said as she joined them.

“He called her a bush pilot Marry. The saying you’re looking for is. Once a bush pilot. Always a bush pilot. I have a feeling that there’s more to that saying than any of them will admit too. I also believe that they shall always push their Rudolph to it limits. All in the hopes of fulfilling their delivery of their two gifts.” Jessica told them as she climbed into her sleigh.

Chapter 12
The Christmas Flight Inquisition.
Dining room, Main house

“Alright young lady. Would you care to explain why you landed on only the power of your engines?” Rebecca said as she led off the question-and-answer period. As the flight crew for Kringle Reindeer Airlines would call it The Christmas Flight Inquisition.

“We ran out of Christmas Light Magic, ma’am.” Danny answered for Kristin. “That was my fault. I failed to keep an eye on the gage.”

“I asked your sister Daniel.” Rebecca told him only to Danny interrupt her.

“I’M the flight engineer. It is my job to monitor the fuel, oil, hydraulic, pressures and levels. That includes the CLM levels. Sure, the pilot and copilot have similar gages on their console. But those are there for when they don’t have a flight engineer. They did and I failed in my duties.” Danny told her as he stood with his shoulders square.

“As you are claiming responsibility for running out CLM Daniel. Can you tell us how you could become so distracted that you failed to notice the gage?” Jessica asked him only to have Sally answer.

“That was my fault, Aunt Jessica. If I had not picked a flight path that was through heavily defend airspace. Danny would have been able to concentrate on the engineering gages. As it was during half of our flight, he was too busy deploying our anti-detection equipment. If I had been on the ball and doing my job as copilot, I would have kept my eyes on the gages. Instead, I was looking after our passengers acting as a hostess.” Sally told her.

“Isn’t that part of your duties Sally?” Holly asked.

“Sally is my co-pilot. She is not a flight hostess. Her place in the right-hand seat of the cockpit. It might only take one person to fly Rudolph once we’re in the air, but it takes two people to get her off the ground safely.” Kristin snapped in response to Holly’s question. “Especially in combat.”

“Is it necessary to place yourselves in such dangerous situations? After all, there are thousands of orphans around the world that could be rescued without endangering yourselves.” Brunhilda pointed out.

“It is the way of our legend. Picking up a flight of orphans from somewhere safe isn’t a part of that legend. Don’t you get it? On Christmas eve the Red Baroness of Christmas flies into the most war-torn of nations to rescue those in the greatest danger. Then flies back out. All without a single scratch on her bright red airplane. When Christmas morning comes, she has vanished once again for another year.” Kristin said with pride. “That Mothers of Christmas is the legend of the Red Baroness of Christmas.”

Undaunted by Kristin’s answer to Brunhilda the gathered Mothers of Christmas continued to question the three teenagers for the next five hours. They never stopped. Even taking their breakfast they continued to question the teenage flight crew. Some of them took to rephasing previously asked questions in an attempt to trip the trio up. Brunhilda and a few others sent for the manual for Rudolph. They used the manual to go into extremely detailed questions requiring just as exact answers. Finally at the five-hour mark Jessica Kringle slamming her mug down on the table.

“AARRGGHHH! You are an insufferable lot of pigheaded, know-it-all, teenagers. Do you know that?” Jessica snarled then had to chuckle at the grinning and unrepentant faces of the teenagers.

“I believe they do sister.” Rebecca smirked. “If I remember correctly sister. Part of being a teenager is the joy of tweaking the noses of your parents from time to time.”

“What can I say? I’ve never been one to play by the rules.” Danny snarked.

“In the words of the great anarchist speaker Maximilian von Rutters. Rules are little more than guidelines for a society based on the ideas of airheads in the hopes of a utopian falsehood.” Sally said with smile.

“I prefer the words of Billy Bob Thorp. United States Airforce, Colonel. If all you’re doing is following the regulations. Then you’re not really flying.” Kristin grinned as she thought about her hero.

“Sisters I believe that have reached an impasse. As it stands, we do not know enough about flying airplanes to continue with our lines of questioning. All in agreement?” Rebecca said as she held up her hand. After seeing that all but one were in agreement Rebecca lower her hand. “Hilda, if you have further questions. Please wait until after the children have eaten, bathed, and rested for at least two days?”

“I’m sorry but I my question cannot wait sister.” Hilda told her as she stood up. “Kristin Kringle as the offical historian for Christmas I need to you tell me about this instantaneous return to just outside the snow wall.”

“We’re still trying to figure that one out, ma’am. The only answer we have been able to come up with is a time activated failsafe. WE believe that we need to stay ahead of midnight on the twenty-fourth. So long as we can do this. Then the failsafe will not activate.” Kristin told her.

“Ah yes. I see. Even Santa must observe certain rules during his Christmas Eve flights. The biggest of which is being back here before sunrise on the twenty-fifth. If I remember correctly, he too is brought back home instantly, should he cut things too close or he is in danger of being discovered.” Hilda said as she sat back down. “Thank you, Kristin.”

“I understand ma’am. As the official historian of Christmas, you are the one who is responsible for the accurate recording of events. Especially those events that surround the season’s legendary mythical figures. Now there is a new mythical figure that has ties to the Season and the day itself. One that was given birth by my mother’s actions. Actions that I have now repeated myself.” Kristin quickly surmised. “Will you be the one to finish writing the story of my mother ma’am?”

“No child. The books of our legends write themselves. Now that you have taken up the mantle of your mother as the Red Baroness. The books will finish shortly by telling of how you became the new Red Baroness. I only record the events of your flights for future Red Baronesses.” Hilda explained.

“Oh. I hadn’t thought of that. I mean I’m a Mother Christmas like the rest of you. Shouldn’t I be able to continue making flights for as long as I want? Even after my Santa retires. Why would I be any different?” Kristin asked her as she looked around at the other retired Mother Christmases.

“We’ll talk about that later dear. For now, you, Sally, and Danny need rest, food, and a bath.” Rebecca told them then waved for three maids to escort them out of the dining room. Once they were gone Rebecca turned to the one woman in the room who had not asked a question. “Thank you for staying silent ancestress. Though I do wonder as to why you have chosen now to appear.”

“The Christmas Spirit commanded my presence, child of my line.” Skadi Claus told her bluntly as she stood forward. Once the Goddess stood in the center of the gathered Mothers of Christmas. She looked directly at Rebecca. “Your replacement has arrived Rebecca Kringle. Even now she makes her way to this house. She is a true child of Christmas. Born on this day.”

“Excuse me, Goddess Skadi. How can there be two new Mother Christmases at the same time?” Noel asked in surprise.

“There is only one Mother Christmas, daughter. Kristin Kringle relinquished her place as the next Mother Christmas when she claimed her rightful place as the Red Baroness of Christmas. Her magic is now forever tied to the newest legend of Christmas. Just as the magic for all of her family is now tied to that same legend.” Skadi told them all as she staired at shocked Rebecca.

“Goddess does that mean all of the Kringle bloodline?” Hilda asked out loud as she looked to member of the Kringle bloodline.

“It does. This is unavoidable. Never again shall a Kringle hold the position of Mother Christmas. Those of Kringle blood shall always be tied to the legends of Christmas. This cannot be changed but we shall no longer be Santa or Mrs. Claus.” Skadi told them bluntly.

“That’s why I still feel the touch of the Star.” Rebecca whispered to herself with a small smile. One that was echoed by all of the Kringle line. “My dear sweet Kristin, you truly have brought change to our lonely lives.”

“Every good Rebecca Kringle. You have seen the full truth behind your reward, daughter.” Skadi chuckled at the look of comprehension in Rebecca’s eyes. “I would speak to those of my bloodline.”

“Now wait one.” Noel said as she stood up to defy the goddess. Only to vanish in a flash of light. The message was clear. The Goddess of Christmas and Winter would not tolerate any act of rebellion. As one the thirty Mother Christmases that were not of the Kringle bloodline left the room.

“Now my descendants let us speak of family.” Skadi said as the six women gathered around her. “And the ties that bind us through the centuries.”

Chapter 13
Hello Mr. and Mrs. Claus.
Main Hall, Claus manor. January 31st.

Kristin, Sally, and Danny were the last people to walk into the main hall of what everyone was now calling Claus manor. It had been thirty-five days since the massive surg of magic had changed all of their lives. The biggest of which was the return of the individual homes for all of the former Mother Christmases. Only the Kringles shared the same home. It was the twin of the Claus manor with one exception. They had more rooms is the family wing. They even had a door with the Christmas Star carved into hidden in the basement. All three of them wore matching flight suits and grins.

“I thought I told you three to dress nicely?” Rebecca huffed as she greeted her adopted children just inside the doorway.

“We are mom. We even got on clean underwear.” Danny grinned.

“Don’t sass me young man. You’re not too old for me to spank.” Rebecca snarled then smiled before giving him a hug. “Now why aren’t you wearing the clothes I laid out for the three of you?”

“Jubilee called the house after you left mom.” Kristin told her. Then lowered her voice. “We’re picking up something near outer marker seventeen.”

“Does Mother Jessica know?” Rebecca demanded.

“I highly doubt it mom. If she did, we would already be in the air.” Sally told her. “She has really taken to her position as Flight Operations Chief.”

“Not surprising. She does have the most experience with such duties. After all she was there for the first flight of Santa’s sleigh.” Rebecca chuckled as she stepped back an inspected the three of them. “The three of you really do strike such dashing figures in your flight suits.”

“I just wish I didn’t have wear a corset.” Sally grumbled.

“Sarah Lee Kringle!” Rebecca growled in warning at the young teen.

“Yes ma’am!” Sally squeaked at hearing her full name. She like her brother had learned that their new mother was slow to anger most of the time. But she had certain buttons that you did not push. Sally and Kristin learned that complaining about wearing what Rebecca considered proper undergarments for young ladies was a big no-no. The first time that Sally complained about her corset. Rebecca tightened the laces to her sleeping corset by an additional two inches and left them that way all night. Sally quickly learned that tight lacing could be used as a punishment. So far Danny had avoided pissing off Rebecca beyond a disapproving glare.

“I know that you’re not used to wear a corset, Sarah.” Rebecca sighed. “I know that they can be uncomfortable at first. The problem is you need them now. Now that you’re part of the Red Baroness legend.”

“I know mom. I just don’t understand how come only Kristin and I have to wear them. Why doesn’t Danny have to wear one?” Sally asked.

“That’s my fault Sally. If I wasn’t already wearing a corset during our first flight. You wouldn’t have been stuck with having to match the legend behind my image. Unfortunately, in our new lives and now line of work. Image is part of the magic.” Kristin apologized to her little sister.

“It’s still not far that Danny doesn’t have to wear one.” Sally grumbled. “If men knew what it was like having to wear one. They’d change their minds about corsets in a hurry.”

“Believe it or not Sarah at one time men did wear corsets. Then shortly before the Civil War wearing of corsets fell out of favor among most young men following the Regency era. Though there were still a few families among the aristocracy that carried on with the practice of corseting their young boys. Though my family didn’t follow the trend. Our neighbors had no problem with putting their sons in corsets. My mother used to threaten my younger brother with tight lacing whenever he misbehaved.” Rebecca giggled as Danny’s eyes popped at hearing the unspoken threat.

“I’ll behave mom. I have no desire to find out what it’s like to wear a corset.” Danny protested as he back up slightly.

“Mom, can you tell us why we were called to the Claus house?” Kristin asked.

“The new Santa and Mrs. Claus take over today. This is their introduction to those of us who live outside of the manor. Basically, this a changing of the guard.” Rebecca explained for her three children.

“If that’s case. We’re not need here.” Kristin said bluntly. “Come on you two. We got a rescue mission to fly.”

“Kristin you will stop right there.” Rebecca snapped. When Kristin gave her a look of defiance Rebecca sigh. “The change of power cannot happen unless all former and prospective Mrs. Clauses approve. So yes you are needed here.”

“But mom. I was never supposed to be a Mrs. Claus or Mother Christmas.” Kristin argued thinking that she was on solid ground.

“Kristin until you made that first flight. You were my replacement. You had already been declared a Mother Christmas and heir by the Christmas Spirit. As such you have to approve of the new Mrs. Claus. If you do not. Then the position will remain open.” Rebecca told her.

“Wouldn’t you just continue as Mrs. Claus mom?” Sally asked her.

“I had already stepped down dear. I had passed my position to Kristin as my replacement. She in turn stepped down when she picked up the mantle of her mother as the Red Baroness of Christmas.” Rebecca explained.

“Oh man. I really went and threw the cat into the dog show didn’t I.” Kristin gasped as she realized just how big of a mess she had caused. “Okay mom I’ll stick around for the introduction. Can I at least send Danny and Sally down to the airfield to start prepping Rudolph?”

“Sadly, they need to be here as well. Their magic is tied to your magic. Which is the magic of Mother Christmas. Before you ask. In no way will their taking charge will affect your individual magics. They just get the titles and headaches that go with the positions.” Rebecca explained with a sly smile. “I can’t wait for the first time that slug Flagstone deals with Windy. I almost feel sorry for him. She’s going to eat him alive.”

“Um… Mom you’re scaring the norms with that look in your eyes. What do you know that we don’t?” Kristin asked as she chuckled.

“Before coming here. Windy lived in a small town that died after the local factory closed. She blames the greed of the local union for the downfall of her hometown. I have a feeling that she will revise a great deal of the damage done by the UEW.” Rebecca told them with a grin.

“Oh hell. An Anti-Union activist as Mrs. Claus.” Kristin crowed then began to laugh. “You’re right. I almost pity Flagstone.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, your attention please.” Jingle the head Butler for the manor called out drawing everyone’s attention to the far end of the room. With a flourish the eld open the doors he standing in front of. “Presenting the new Santa and Mrs. Claus. Father and Mother Christmas.”

As one the Mother Christmases, elf foremen, winter spirits, Christmas town mayor, and civil servants began to clap in welcome. Only Kristin, Sally, and Danny withheld their applause. Though each had their own reason for not applauding. All three had one reason in common. They hadn’t met the couple yet. When the applause ended Kristin walked over to where Jessica stood.

“Aunt Jessica, we have a situation near outer marker seventeen.” Kristin told her without preamble.

“Understood child. Let me handle this.” Jessica said as she stepped forward. “Santa, Mrs. Claus while it is customary hold the acknowledgement until after introductions have been. There is a situation that needs the immediate attention of the Red Baroness.”

“This is highly irregular! Who are you to interrupt.” Jingle started to say only to have Jessica Kringle silence him with a snap of her fingers.

“One more word out of you Jingle and I’ll have a new yard decoration. I suggest you remember exactly who you’re addressing.” Jessica snarled then turned and waved Kristin, Sally, and Danny over. “Snow Maiden Kristin Angela Kringle, Red Baroness of Christmas, do you hereby relinquish all your claims to the title of Mother Christmas?”

“I do.” Kristin answered loudly.

“Sarah Lee Kringle, Sister of Kristin, do you also relinquish any such claims perceived or promised?” Jessica asked the teenager.

“I do.” Sally almost shouted.

“Daniel Lee Kringle, brother of Kristin, do relinquish your claims to the title of Santa and Father Christmas?” Jessica asked him calmly.

“Damn right I do. I never wanted anything to do with the stupid, pain in the ass, job in the first place.” Danny told her in a voice filled with pride. Then he grinned asking. “We done mom?”

“Go. I’ll be there as soon as possible children.” Jessica told them.

As the three teenagers turned and ran from the manor Rebecca laughed. She wasn’t the only Kringle laughing. Among the former Mother Christmases, the Kringles were not only known to be the most powerful. They were also the known as the most unconventional. The new Mrs. Claus and Santa just looked at each other in confusion. Windy the new Mother Christmas taped Jessica on the arm before asking. “Excuse me, Miss Jessica. But what just happened?”

“To use a phrase from your time. That was your predecessor and her siblings turning in their resignations. You are now the unquestioned Father and Mother Christmas.” Holly answered for a laughing Jessica.

“I thought that I already was Santa?” Santa asked.

“You are now. Just as Windy is now Mrs. Claus.” Holly explained. “Normally we have a small ceremony after a friendly welcome party for our new Santa and Mrs. Claus. But it seems that Kringle Reindeer Airlines is needed to investigate a situation out here near one of the outer warning markers.”

“What is Kringle Reindeer Airlines?” Windy asked.

“We are the airline that gave birth to the legend of the Red Baroness of Christmas.” Rebecca told her as she join them. “Jessica, you need to get your backside to the tower. The situation at outer marker fourteen is worse than expected. Bubba is waiting outside with a sleigh.”

“Santa, Mrs. Claus, I leave in the hands of my fellow sisters.” Without so much as a by your leave Jessica ran from the room.

“Does this happen often?” Santa asked.

“Not often. We used to ignore the anything near the outer markers because the only way to reach them in time was by using the Santa sleigh. Now that Kringle Airlines is finally in operation. We can investigate those warnings near the outer markers with ease.” Holly explained for the confused man. “Seeing as how we won’t know anything for a while. Shall we return to welcome party? The food is getting cold.”

“Will they be alright?” Windy worriedly asked.

“Little sister you have no need to worry about my children.” Rebecca chuckled at the young woman’s needless worry for her children. “This is nothing more than a training flight for them.”

“Aren’t they awfully young to be a flight crew?” Santa asked in confusion.

“Sarah and Daniel might be new to their positions as Kristin’s copilot and flight engineer.” Brunhilda told him honestly then smiled. “They know their jobs. As for Kristin. She is very much her mother’s daughter.”

“Excuse me but how can they be your children and know how to fly an airplane?” Santa asked Rebecca. “I thought you were born during the Victorian area?”

“I was. They are my adopted children and are from your era.” Rebecca explained for him and Windy. “They are both my greatest joy and reward.”

“Why would they be a reward?” Windy asked in confusion.

“Of all the Mother Christmases, Rebecca held the position the longest. For one-hundred-fifty-years she toiled relentlessly to insure that Christmas town and the toy factory kept up with the changing times. She was also one of the youngest to every hold the position. To reward her for her time as Mrs. Claus the Christmas Spirit granted her a wish. Not just any wish but a heart’s hidden desire wish. A family of her own.” Brunhilda told them.

“As for her daughter Kristin she is special even among us. If she had not stepped aside for you. She would have become the next Mother Christmas and Mrs. Claus plus a whole lot more.” Holly told her bluntly. “We can only ever be Mrs. Claus and the Mother Christmas.”

“Just who is she anyway?” Santa asked with a little worry in his voice.

“Kristin Angela Kringle is the Red Baroness of Christmas. The Snow Maiden, and rightful heir to Skadi Claus the first of Mother Christmas, Mother of Scandinavia, Goddess of Winter, Goddess of Skiing, Grandmother Frost, Queen of the Vanir, Yule Mother, daughter of Rebecca Kringle, eighth of the Kringle line.” Marry told him bluntly. “In short buster. She is the last person you want to go pissing off. Kristin has power equal to that of a Goddess.”

“Hold on. How can that girl be the Red Baroness? She is way too young. I should know. I was in the US Airforce for four years. The Red Baroness has been flying for the last thirty years. Sorry but I’m not buying that ladies.” Santa told them bluntly. “Try pulling the other leg.”

“Then you know the story behind Kristin’s legend?” Rebecca asked with a small smile. “If you do then you know where it started.”

“There isn’t an Airman in any Airforce around the world who doesn’t know the legend of the Red Baroness of Christmas. It all started in nineteen-ninety-four.” Santa said as he went on to tell the story of the Red Baroness. He even included the sightings of her in other parts of the world. When he finished Santa looked at the gathered Mothers of Christmas. “Now do you see why a teenage girl can’t be the Red Baroness.”

“You just told the story of Kristin’s birth parents.” Rebecca told him sadly in a soft voice. When Santa heard this, he gulped in embarrassment. “I suggest that you do not mention it in her presence for the next few decades.”

“If ever.” Brunhilda snarled as she popped her knuckles while flexing her muscles. “Kristin, Sally, and Danny have a special place among us Mothers. Especially to the Kringles.”

“Understood madam. Message received loud and clear.” Santa said with a bow.

“For a man you’re not totally ignorant I see.” Marry chuckled as the sound of Rudolph’s engines firing over, reached the manor. “It seems that Kristin is in a hurry today. Don’t worry. She won’t fly directly over the house.”

“At least not after the last time.” Holly giggled as she looked towards Rebecca. “How long did it take her to scrub hanger floor?”

“Two days. Two very long days on her hands and knees.” Rebecca grinned as she crossed her arms proudly. “Jessica may run flight operation, but I’m in charge of the ground operations.”

“Why do I have the feeling that if I bring the sleigh back in less than pristine condition. I’ll be shoveling out the reindeer stalls.” Santa said.

“Because you’re smarter than you look.” Windy giggled as she elbowed him in the ribs just as the sound of four power propeller engines passed overhead. “That sounded like turboprops.”

“Close but not exact. Those were most likely retro-built Pratt & Whitney R-two thousands Twin Wasps with superchargers.” Santa told her. “They’ve made a massive comeback with pilots that operate tundra and bush country areas. Because of their reliability. I was hoping to use my VA loan to pick up a used Douglas DC-four retro build once we got home. I know that mom and dad were looking to expand their airfreight business. One of those work great for making short overnight hauls between cities.”

“Then you were a pilot in your former life?” Rebecca asked him.

“Yes ma’am. I had just earned my commercial license.” Santa told her then with a smile he added. “I can’t to fly that plane.”

“You? Fly Rudolph?!” Brunhilda asked in disbelief just before she and the other Mother Christmases broke out laughing. Once she regained her composure Brunhilda took pity on the confused young man. “You might be Santa and a pilot, but the only person who can fly Rudolph is the Red Baroness.”

“What do you mean? I thought that I was supposed to do all the flying?” Santa asked in bewilderment. “Isn’t that why I’m here?”

“You fly the sleigh and deliver presents to all the children of the world.” Rebecca scolded him sharply. “Let this be a friendly warning, Santa. Do not think of trying to fly Kristin’s DC-four. Rudolph is not an ordinary airplane. Unlike your sleigh she is a living thing of magic that only answers to Kristin and her siblings.”

“A living thing of magic? I don’t understand.” Santa said.

“When they first crashed near the snow wall Kristin’s DC-four was a normal airplane. Then just days before her first flight Kristin used her magic to repair her airplane. That one act forever tied Kristin and her siblings to her mother’s legend. The legend of the Christmas Red Baroness.” Rebecca told him kindly. Then went onto explain how legendary magic works. When she finished Rebecca asked. “Do you understand the significance of my warning?”

“Yes ma’am. Kristin, her siblings, and their airplane, are off limits.” Santa gulped as he looked Rebecca Kringle in the eyes. The power he saw there would forever haunt his days and nights until he finally retired fifty years later.

“Now if you excuse me. I need to get down to the airfield. I’m sure that my children will be reporting in shortly.” Rebecca told the couple before turning to walk away with a small smile and twinkle in her eyes. They could only stand and watch as the gathered people parted before her. As Rebecca walked through the crowd the remaining members of the Kringle line fell in behind her. As they left the message was loud and clear. The Kringles may have stepped aside for a new line of Santa and Mrs. Claus. They were still a power to be dealt within the legends of Christmas.

“Why do I get the feeling that Ms. Rebecca and the other Kringle Mothers don’t care for me?” Santa asked.

“You need to give them time sir.” Jingle told him with a shrug. “Though I doubt that you or Mistress Windy will see much of them.”

“Why do you say that Jingle?” Windy asked him.

“Simple Miss. They will be busy helping Kristin Kringle build her own legend. Of all those here. They have the most experience in handling such a situation. Jessica Kringle was there at the beginning. Rebecca Kringle has served the longest as Mother Christmas. The others all served when there were major changes to the legend magic surrounding Santa. It will take all of their combined knowledge to guide the newest legend of Christmas.” Jingle told her with a smile of pride. Of all Christmas elves Jingle held a special place among them. As he had also been there from the start. He was also the true chronicler of the Kringle legend.

“What new legend?” Santa asked him.

Jingle looked him in the eyes with a smile. He could only answer with five words. Words that would be carried throughout the world on the wings of magic. “The Red Baroness of Christmas.”

Chapter 14
Epilog
Somewhere over South America, December 24, 2093

“The plane is yours Kristin.” Sally told her as she turned over control to her sister. “Come to heading two-two-seven and climb to zero-nine-thousand.”

“Two-two-seven, climb to zero-nine-thousand.” Kristin repeated as she followed Sally’s directions. “How are our passengers doing Danny?”

“They’re a little shook up. Otherwise, they’re fine, Kristin.” Danny told her as he took his seat at the engineer’s station. “Sally, does number three look like it’s running a little hot to you?”

“I’ve already noted it the log Danny. Isn’t number three and four coming on their breakdown serve?” Sally asked him.

“Number four is but number three isn’t due for another year.” Danny told her as he pulled out the maintenance log. “Yup number three isn’t due until next year. Is it causing problems with handling?”

“Naw. Rudy is handling just fine. We when get home report it to Mom. She’ll probably go ahead and tear down all four engines. You know how she gets when it comes to Rudy’s flight performance.” Kristin told them. “How’s the CLM?”

“We’re still in the green sis. Holding at just over three-quarters of a tank. How’s our time look Sally?” Danny asked her.

“So long as we hold this heading. We have another six hours before midnight.” Sally told them as she pulled out her map. “The UN refugee camp is seventy minutes out. It’ll be close but we can cross the next timeline with ten minutes to spare. After that we can refuel in Bogota then LA. From there we can head north for home. Making stops in Portland, Valdez, and Artic Village. Before making the final hop to home airspace with thirty minutes to go.”

“It’ll be cutting things closer than I like.” Kristin said as she looked at the route that Sally was proposing. “You know mom will most likely ground us for cutting things this closely.”

“Naw. She knows that we only cut things this close when we make more than one flight into a hot zone.” Danny said with a chuckle. “By the way Kristin.”

“Yes, I saw him. No, we’re not taking him north with us.” Kristin sighed. “You know that the moms have final say on all adoptions.”

“I know that, but did you see the aura surrounding that little boy?” Danny asked her. “Couldn’t he be your replacement?”

“I doubt it, Danny. Remember that our legend is not bound by the same rules as Santa’s. According to the Christmas Star our only rules are flying on Christmas eve, landing in war zones, saving orphans, and being home before sunrise on Christmas morning.” Kristin told him as she smiled. “Besides. You never send a boy. To do a girl’s job.”

“Damn straight!” Sally laughed as Danny facepalmed at the old joke.

“Rudolph flight this is Christmas town tower control.” The radio crackled. “Come in Rudolph flight. Over”

“Momma Jessica is calling.” Danny snarked as he keyed his mike. “Rudolph Flight here Christmas town tower control. Over”

“How did the pickup go, kids? Any problems? Over” Jessica Kringle asked them.

“Both pickups with off without a hitch mom. We’re on time. Should reach the refugee camp in fifty-five minutes. Over” Danny told her.

“You’ll be cutting it close on your return. How is your CLM level Danny? Do you have enough to make a flash jump? Over” Jessica asked next.

“Level is good, mom. Haven’t needed to use any of our special features. We can make a flash jump with no problems. Over” Danny told her as Kristin nodded her head about his assessment.

“Good to hear. What is your route home? Over”

“Bogota to LA. From there we head north. Making stops in Portland, Valdez, and Artic Village. Before making the final hop to home airspace. Over” Sally told her over the radio.

“That is cutting it closer than we like. Do you have enough CLM to make a flash jump from Bogota home airspace? Over”

“We can but we’ll be in the low when we land. Over” Kristin told her.

“Make the jump. You need to home before midnight. Over” Jessica ordered.

“Yes ma’am. Drop our passengers. Refuel in Bogota. Takeoff and jump for home. Understood. Rudolph flight Out.” Kristin said then turned to Sally and Danny. “Either of you know why Mother Jessica would give that order?”

“Just one. Someone out there is waiting for us to land somewhere with cameras. People are trying their best to prove we exist to the governments. If they can do that. Then they can get us declared criminals. Saying that we’re exploiting the children we rescue from war zones.” Sally sighed as she looked towards the passenger compartment. “Sadly, there are people that make a lot of money off the exploitation of war orphans.”

“And our operations cut into their profits. Well screw them. Let them try and stop us.” Kristin snarled then giggled. “The last time I check. We’re all fully licensed to fly bush pilots.”

“They could try that old line about landing at unregistered airfields.” Danny told her. “That’s how they catch most drug flights.”

“Airfields! We don’t need stinking airfields!” Sally said in a bad Hollywood Mexican accent. “Though you do have a point. Our last seven flights have been from countries that were once heavily controlled by the drug cartels.”

“Just goes to show what happens when people get tired of being put down.” Kristin told her. “The last Santa once said that human history written to the beats of war, peace, civil unrest, and revolution. He called it the Endless Waltz of History.”

“At least we can still bring our two gifts to the world.” Danny told them. “The gifts of hope and magic. Hope for a brighter future and the magic of family on Christmas morning. The greatest gifts of all.”

“You got that right Danny.” Kristin told him smiling. The three siblings continued to talk as they flew through the night. Just before 11pm local time they landed in an open field near the UN refugee camp. Less than twenty minutes later they were once more flying into the night sky. They left behind 56 new refugees with hope for a brighter future. Right along with the usual question of ‘who was those teenagers flying the bright red airplane’.

“It’s almost time.” Sally asked as she checked their position on the map. “Get ready Danny. In three, two, one. Transmit!”

“Danny smiled and hit a button on his console. That one act sent a magic powered radio message to all receivers within range. “Merry Christmas! And to all! A good night!”

All three siblings raised their fists together shouting. “Damn straight!”


This story is brought to you by the legend of the Christmas Red Baroness. While the origin of the story has never been verified. It has been passed down among the brave civilian pilots that fly into war torn nations to rescue orphans of war.

up
195 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you for sharing this

Beoca's picture

Thank you for sharing this wonderful tale based in legend.

Better late than never. ;-)

Thank you Jess for another excellent holiday season tale. It was fun to read about the story of a Christmas Legend through a new pair of eyes. Most enjoyable.

- Leona

Wonderful story, thank you

Wonderful story, thank you
Hope you had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year

Red Baroness of Christmas

Sigh now I have Snoopy's Christmas in my head:

The news had come out in the First World War
The bloody Red Baron was flying once more
The Allied command ignored all of its men
And called on Snoopy to do it again.

Twas the night before Christmas, 40 below
When Snoopy went up in search of his foe
He spied the Red Baron, fiercely they fought
With ice on his wings Snoopy knew he was caught.

Christmas bells those Christmas bells
Ring out from the land
Asking peace of all the world
And good will to man

Not my fault

wolfjess7's picture

Don't go blaming me for this Kimmie. It's not my fault you got the song stuck in your head. I wasn't even thinking about that song when I wrote this one. I swear.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Wonderful story and a great read!

taradyveke's picture

Bravo! What a great an entertaining story! I really loved how you tied all the legends together. Well done!

"Laughter is the best medicine, you can't O.D. and the refills are free!" -Rob Paulson the voice of Yacko Warner

A great story!

Robyn B's picture

For the past two weeks I have been checking Top Shelf several times each day for another story from Jess.
I had been thinking it would be the next chapter in the Elven Question.

But it was a seasonal story. I should have known.
What a terrific story. I opened the story last night just before going to bed and read the "Prolong".

Getting up this morning I came straight in to read on. Keeping an eye on the progress indicator on the right hand side I was excited in seeing that this story would not be a short one.

Reading right through I was amazed when I read the line saying 38002 words.

A terrific story. As others have already said, a great melding of several story lines. The story lived up to all your great features of imagination and grammatical flip flops typical of your writing. They, in themselves, provide great enjoyment in unravelling them to determine what you actually mean.

As fictional legend goes, this story is quite plausible and gave a great foundation upon which to write a terrific story. I have used that word several times, but the story deserves it. Your solid writing style developed in DOD and the Marshalls' stories provide the background to give this story the credibility it deserves. As each paragraph rolled by I was eagerly anticipating what new feature or event would the Christmas magic bring.

If I was Mrs. Claus, I would be well into my second Santa, but still the magic fires my imagination just as it did when I was a small child.

Don't make make me grow parched as the Aussie Summers can make us, before posting the next chapter of the Elven Question.

Robyn B
Sydney

A throughly enjoyable fantasy

Patricia Marie Allen's picture

You've woven a wonderful tale of hope and magic. A great twist on the legend of Santa Claus. I was captivated by the story and totally saw the trans element as a secondary subplot to the main story.

You have a great talent for these kind of stories. I only wish my own talent could conceive such involved story.

Hugs
Patricia

Happiness is being all dressed up and HAVING some place to go.
Semper in femineo gerunt

A new classic

Yet another winner. Sat up past midnight because I couldn't put it down.

One teensy comment. We have a Ukrainian friend who stayed with us for a few weeks at the start of the war (she is only 23 and lives alone, and we didn't think that right even if her apartment is only 2 streets away). She told us that referring to her country as "the Ukraine" was a Russian way of use. It reduces her country to merely a region of a greater Russia. It should simply be Ukraine.

Thank you, Thank you

You have helped rekindle the Christmas spirit in me. Love the story.

Fun Story

Thank you for the wonderful story.

Although I have to admit when it was first discussing Santa a funny thought crossed my mind.

"A Santa named Death. Best not be Naughty!"

A Death Dealer Santa

wolfjess7's picture

Santa as a Death Dealer. That thought is just too Naughty for words. Not even I'm that twist. And I thought up the Universe. Then again. i can just see the upgrade now. He won't have to worry about using chimneys any more. He could just blast the door off with his Candy Cane Projection gun. As for how he gets around. I can see the replacement sleigh. A red assault shuttle. Then again he might use an FB-11 Claymore. He might need the extra firepower.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Remind me of a scientific analysis of Santa Claus midnight ride

Basically it went through all the households he stopped how long he would spend between each house, the G forces were enormous. At the end of this story it ended with yes Virginia there is a Santa but he is dead. It was a funny read if I ever find it I'll post it here on BCTS. It would have been very funny for this story. Which I enjoyed quite a lot.

Another analysis

I've seen another analysis where Santa would have to travel at speeds above c.
(Remember, if you run faster than light you black out)

Says who?

All depends on the acceleration. It's the excessive G forces that causes the blackouts. One story I read explained that their hyperdrive jumps you to a point universe where C is the slowest you can go. Hence, no acceleration and no blackout.

But that's all beside the point. Since when has magic been subject to the laws of physics?

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Oh my!

Patrick Malloy's picture

Great story Jess! A wonderful addition to the Christmas story.

Patrick Malloy