Forever the Dragon Princess -chp 4

Printer-friendly version


Forever the Dragon Princess

The year is 2024. And one of the greatest archaeology finds of all time is on display at the Smithsonian. No one ever expected to find something buried deep within the caves below Mount Fuji, Japan. Especially not a seven foot tall, fifteen foot wide, two foot thick, one-thousand pound, hand carved red lacquered, ebony wood, bejeweled sculpture of the dragon Toyotama-hime that is over 2000 years old. For 16yr old Tony Watanabe this statue held more than just your normal fascination. It held his destiny.

Chapter 4
The Ways of Power or What do you mean I got homework

No one knew or saw when the three teenage girls appeared inside the walls of the temple grounds later that night. They were only met by the twin miko Satomi and Satoko. They quickly guided the trio through a back gate in the temple compound wall off to a very secluded a part of the temple grounds. This area was enclosed by a twelve-foot high stone wall and held a mid-sized iwami style house with a central courtyard.

Satoko explained why they had brought the new Doragonsamurai to this small compound. “This is your home for as long as you wish to stay here Mistresses. The iwami has a central room, three bedrooms down each side. Across the far back wall is a small kitchen area, communal baths, a shower area, and a separate bathroom. The courtyard is large enough for ten samurai in full battle armor to practice kenjutsu.”

Satomi then smiled. “There is also a hidden gate in the far back corner. It will allow you to come and go unseen by the temple visitors.”

“When was this place built?” Chiyoko asked in total surprise.

“It has been here for as long as the temple has held the Teachings of the Dragon God King Watatsumi.” Satomi answered as if that was all the answer that Chiyoko would ever need. “No one has set foot inside of these doors except to clean and repair. It has been held for you and your sisters.”

Akene and Kasumi just smiled while taking a hold of Chiyoko’s hands and pulled. Akene smiled at Chiyoko’s reluctance. “Come on sister. This is our home. See. Just look at the seal over the door.”

“Besides, I want to figure out how to get out of this armor so I can go to the bathroom.” Kasumi whined. To which Satomi and Satoko chuckled. “What?”

“Just head for the bathroom and think of what you need to do, young Mistress. The Gods and Goddesses are not so cruel as to torture their samurai in such a manner. Besides they themselves understand the needs and wants of the body.” Satoko chuckled, as she and Satomi followed the three teens inside.

Once they were through the wall’s gate two things happened at the same time. First the girls’ armor vanished starting with their mask and worked its way down to their feet. Only the sashes and swords at their waists remained. The second thing was the combined screams of outrage from three very naked teenage girls. Satoko and Satomi acted as one as they slammed the doors of the gate shutting out the outside world.

“Um… please forgive us, Mistresses. We had no idea that would happen.” Satoko stammered out quickly. By their blushing all three girls could tell that the miko were just as embarrassed by this development as they were. “There is nothing in the teachings that speak of this happening. I swear.”

“Um… Satoko, I think that you might be wrong about that.” Satomi said blushing even harder. “Remember that one passage that spoke about this compound.”

“Which one, you dork? There are over thirty passages alone that talk about this place.” Satoko snapped at her sister. “Care to be more enlightening?”

“The one that talked about the Doragonsamurai walking bared to their Dragon Gods within the walls of their home, butthead.” Satomi growled. “I can’t remember how it went exactly but I know that it said something like that.”

“Oh, for fuck’s sake. One of you go find a copy of the teachings all ready.” Chiyoko finally snapped. “While you’re at it, find us something to wear.”

Satoko and Satomi both rushed back out into the temple proper. Both were in search of a different item. One hunting for a copy of the teachings and the other something for the girls to wear. In their haste the two miko left the gate doors open by mistake. Chiyoko solved this by a simple wave of her hand and a touch of magic. Only she let her anger power the spell that closed the doors. They slammed harder than she wanted.

“Sorry about that guys. I didn’t mean to slam the doors like that.” Chiyoko blushed as she raised her shoulders and lowered her head. “I think I let my anger get the better of me that time.”

“You think?! Chiyoko you could have snatched the doors off their hinges using that much power!” Kasumi bitched.

“At least this time she didn’t spilt the wood panels down the center like the last time she used that spell, Kasumi.” Akane said with a grin. “I’m actually surprised she was able to hold back as much as she did. I would have transmuted the doors into a solid wall.”

“Oh, the hell with this. I got to use the restroom.” Kasumi turned and headed for the back of the house and the restroom. “I’ll see you guys in the showers. I don’t know about you guys, but I could use a hot bath.”

As the naked Kasumi walked away from them Chiyoko sighed and gave Akane a strange look. “Is it me or are all girls like that?”

“I take it that nudity is kind of looked down upon in your home world?” Akane asked with a smirk.

“Yes and no. What I was wondering about was the way Kasumi is acting. One minute she’s all kinds of pissed off at being naked. The next she wants to take a hot bath with a pair of teenage girls she barely knows. Like it’s no big deal it’s just us girls here. You know what I mean?” Chiyoko rambled on for a bit.

“Oh, you mean that!” Akane chuckled. “I take it that communal baths aren’t commonplace where you come from.”

“Hate to say it, but nope. At least not in my home country. There are a few countries where communal baths are accepted, but they’re in the minority.” Chiyoko answered honestly as she headed for the bathing area.

“That must be a truly dismal world you come from sister Chiyoko.” Akane commented as she wrapped her in a hug.

“It is and it isn’t Akane. The biggest difference is my home world has no magic or alchemy. The only thing there is what they call hard science.” Chiyoko grunted. “Trust me. Before this morning if you had told me that Dragon Gods, magic, alchemy, and curses were real. I would have laughed in your face. Now that I now they’re real I would never even have tried to read that curse warning.”

“I still can’t believe you did that. Why in the name of ALL that is Unholy and Sacrilegious were you even handling a cursed item? Didn’t your sempai warn you? I mean that is the first thing we’re taught in Primary School.” Akane was still having problems grasping the idea that Chiyoko’s home world didn’t have magic. “Didn’t you grow up with legends of Heroes?”

“Oh sure. It’s just that most of the legends were disproved as nothing more than fantasy. Legends about dragons, demons, monsters, and wizards are nothing more than stories used to teach about the evils of man.” Chiyoko smiled as they got under the showers. “The only mythical legends that people in my world put any faith in are the ones about lost civilizations.”

“Lost civilizations? How can you lose a whole civilization?” Akane asked as she lathered up her hair.

“On my home world more than ninety percent of the civilizations have been wiped out to plague or war.” Chiyoko leaned back under the water and rinsed her hair. “The history of my world is filled with such violence and tragedy.”

“What do you mean your world’s history is filled with violence and tragedy?” Kasumi asked as she joined them under the showers.

“That’s right. You don’t know.” Akane said as she soaped up her body. “Our dear little Chiyoko is from another universe. One that is totally different from our own. A universe where magic and alchemy are a thing of fantasy.”

“You’re trying to pull a joke on me. There is no such thing as different universes. Only higher planes.” Kasumi smiled back. “Sorry, but I won’t fall for your little joke, sisters. Nice try though.”

Chiyoko sighed. “We’re not joking Kasumi. Before you casually dismiss what, we’re telling you as a joke don’t. Use your gift. You’ll see that we’re telling you the truth. I really do come from another universe.”

Kasumi did as Chiyoko asked. What she saw cause the poor girl to stagger back against the wall. “By the Goddess Jun! You really do come from another world. How did you end up here if there is no magic on your world?”

“I should say that there is very little magic on my home.” Chiyoko grumbled. “I made the mistake of reading a cursed warning out loud. Then the next thing I know, BAM! I’m standing before the Dragon Goddess Toyotama and I’m changing into the girl you see before you.”

“Holy crap! What are you stupid?! Everybody knows that you don’t go reading a curse warning out loud! That’s the first thing they teach in Primary School.” Kasumi couldn’t believe what Chiyoko was telling her but knew that it was the truth. “Are the teachers in your home world that blind to the consequences they don’t care about the safety of their students?”

Chiyoko just sighed as she stepped out of the showers and headed for the hot tub. “You have to understand that on my world there is almost no magic. Things like curses and magic are just so much superstitious nonsense. Nobody, and I mean nobody, takes things like curses and magic seriously.”

As she climbed into the hot tub Chiyoko sighed. “I certainly didn’t.”

“And now? If you could go back to your home world. Would you heed such things?” Kasumi asked politely.

“I can’t go home, Kasumi.” Chiyoko snapped. “So, it doesn’t matter now. I’m stuck here until the day I die.”

Akane and Kasumi heard the pain in Chiyoko’s voice. As one they climbed into the hot tub on each side of the new sister. The girls hugged Chiyoko for all they were worth. Kasumi was the first to speak.

“I’m sorry, Chiyoko. I didn’t realize that you couldn’t go back to your home world.” Kasumi let the sadness she felt fill her voice.

Akane decided to take another approach to ease Chiyoko’s feelings. “What did you do in your old world Chiyoko. Were you a student like me or were you a kept daughter like Kasumi?”

“Believe it or not. I was a high school student.” Chiyoko smiled. Thankful for the change in topic. “I was actually in what we called a Fast Track Program. That’s where certain students who’ve shown they’re smart enough are placed in university study programs. I was going to be an archaeologist.”

“What is an archaeologist? Some kind of doctor?” Akane asked in confusion.

“An archaeologist is a student of the past.” Chiyoko chuckled. “Only we try to tell the story of peoples long dead and lost to time by studying what they have left behind. One of the challenges to doing that is actually finding the remains of those lost civilizations.”

“OH WOW! You wanted to be a Legend Hunter? Do you know how hard you have to study to become one of those? How far were you into your studies?” Kasumi fired off her questions in a single breath.

“No wonder! Legend Hunters must be the most desired of positions on your home world. Do they have special schools just for your training? They actually allow women to become Legend Hunters on your home world?” Akane asked with the same amount of excitement.

“Whoa there, girls! Pump the breaks!” Chiyoko giggled. “First what is a Legend Hunter? And second what is so special about a girl wanting to be one?”

Kasumi grabbed Chiyoko’s hand. “A Legend Hunter studies the ancient texts and teachings. They spend hundreds, if not thousands, of hours going over those old scribblings. Searching for any clue that they can find. Something that points them towards where they can find some lost artifact or tomb for one of the Great Kings and Emperors.”

“They spend years of study just hoping to be accepted into the final schooling with Temple Elders. Even then the Elders only accept one boy out of every twenty or so. They never accept girls.” Akene spouted.

“Oh, I get it, now. Legend Hunters are the archaeologists of this world.” Chiyoko smiled and then frowned. “What do you mean the Temple Elder never accept girls? And just what do they have to do with who becomes Legend Hunters?”

“The Temple Elders of this world control the official histories and therefor anything that concerns this world’s legends, Mistress Chiyoko.” Satoko told her as she entered the bathing room. “Unlike our old world all advanced study into history is considered the Study of Legends. To gain access to those codex’s a student must first gain the approval of the Temple Elders.”

“That doesn’t explain why they only accept boys, Satoko. Why would they intentionally cutoff one half of their students? Just because they’re girls?” Chiyoko asked in bewilderment.

“Remember why we we’re brought here, Mistress Chiyoko.” Satomi said as she too entered the room. In Satomi’s hands was a floating tray with three cups of hot tea waiting to be served. “The balance must be restored before the Temple elders would even dream of allowing a woman to step outside of their acceptable place in this society.”

“What’s up with the tea service Satomi?” Chiyoko asked.

“Drink it will restore your strength, and calm your mind, Mistress.” There was something in Satomi’s voice that grabbed Chiyoko’s attention.

“What’s going on Satomi? Why would I need to calm my mind?” The teenage girl almost snarled while wishing she had her swords within reach.

“Temple Elder Hue has denied your request for a copy of the Teachings of the Dragon God King Watatsumi.” Satomi answered heavily. “His exact words were and I’m quoting him. ‘If the Dragon Samurai wish to learn they can come to their Elders. We will teach them what they need to know.”

“In other words, the old fucker is being a pigheaded chauvinist cock sucker.” Chiyoko snapped as she climbed out of the hot tub. “Well, if he won’t handover a copy politely, then I’ll just have to take one by force.”

Kasumi and Akane couldn’t believe what they were hearing. A girl would dare to defy a Temple Elder. It was unheard of. Yet here was their sister getting ready to do just that and not care about the consequences. Before Chiyoko could go two feet though Satoko and Satomi stopped her.

“Beating the shit out of an old man stuck in the past is not the way to restore the Balance, Mistress.” Satoko told her as she lightly placed her hand on the girl’s shoulder. Leaning in close Satoko whispered into Chiyoko’s ear. “Think. Use that brilliant mind of yours, Anthony. How would your teachers get you to change your mind?”

Chiyoko sighed and looked down at the floor. “Not through mindless violence. But through honest discourse. Forgive me sempai. I have dishonored the very teachings of the Smithsonian.”

“Just as I had dishonored them when I ignored your warning about the curse, kohai. We each have made mistakes. Now, we must learn from them.” Satoko sighed sadly. “And as we learn, so must we teach. This is the way of a true educator. We must always strive to learn as we teach.”

“I understand sempai. I go charging in with guns blazing and all I’ll get is a bunch of pissed off monks. And no real answers.” Chiyoko sighed. “Any suggestions on how to fix this one?”

“What do you have in this world that we don’t have back home? Think child.” Satoko answered with a smile and finger alongside her nose.

“Magic.” Chiyoko breathed. “I don’t have to go through the front door. I can summon one to me through magic.”

“Very good, kohai. Remember though, there are still laws for magic. Just as there are laws to physics, and mathematics. Remember that the basic laws of physics that govern our universe can be categorized in one of two ways. First there is the classical physics. These deal with the surrounding environment and the observable universe that around us. Then there is atomic physics. These laws deal with the ideas of subatomic particles and their interactions. The laws of quantum mechanics. I believe that it is these laws that are the closest to what this world considers magic.” Satoko said with a smile.

“Oh man!” Chiyoko whined. “I suck at advanced mathematics, Doc. Ya got another example for me?”

“How do you work your magic?” Satoko asked.

“What do you mean?” Chiyoko questioned.

“When you recite a spell. What do you say exactly?” Satoko asked politely.

“Well, it comes to me like in a vision I guess you would call it. But I just know what words to say and what hand gestures to make.” Chiyoko explained.

“Let’s get you dressed and adjourn to the main room.” Satoko suggested. Thirty minutes later the three teenage girls were dressed in identical kimonos and gathering in the main living room at the front of the house. During their walk to the front of the house Satoko confided in Chiyoko. “I have a theory Mistress Chiyoko. It concerns the way that you use magic.”

As the group gathered around the katotsu Satoko explained her theory. “Remember when I suggested that the laws of magic are similar to the laws of physics. Well you were right in that you needed a better example. I believe that the laws of magic are more the preview of the poet and actor.”

“Okay, Doc, just what does that mean?” Chiyoko asked as she cocked her head to the side. “How can magic be the preview of the poet or actor?”

“You’ve heard the old saying about how words have power?” Satoko asked. Chiyoko quickly nodded her head to the question. “What I believe is that here in this world there is more to that saying than just metaphor. If I remember correctly your studies were in ancient languages. Wasn’t it your work on the Ogata Temple Texts that won you that internship?”

“Yes ma’am. I still find it hard to believe that so many prominent archaeologists have read my paper.” Chiyoko answered with a blush.

“OH WOW! You’ve actually read the Ogata Texts of the Grand Dragon?” Akane asked in total amazement. “Do you know how many people have even seen them? Let alone to have actually read the texts?”

“Um… a few hundred?” Chiyoko answered in bewilderment.

“AAAAHHHHGGGG! The girl has read one of the most sought after holy texts in all of the Sebun'airando and she has absolutely no idea of what she’s done! GODS!” Kasumi was screaming by the time she done with her rant. Then she saw the looks on not just Chiyoko’s face, but those of Satomi and Satoko. “Please don’t tell me that you’ve all read them?”

“Sorry but yes we have Mistress Kasumi.” Satomi said with a grin. “In our world we don’t withhold such valuable texts from our scholars. No matter their sex or age. We found that true intelligence knows no boundaries.”

“Say Kasumi, why did you call this country the Seven Islands? Isn’t this Japan?” Chiyoko asked just before there a flash of light from behind her. “Let me guess. The Dragon Princess Toyotama or Prince Wolong just appeared behind me. Right?”

“Not this time young samurai.” The voice was one that Chiyoko had heard only once before. It was also not one she wanted to hear again. “It seems that my daughter has left this part of your education for me.”

Chiyoko turned and bowed to the Dragon King Ryōjin. “Good evening sire. Be welcome to our home. How may we poor mortals be of service?”

“I highly doubt that you mean that Kyamo no Sa.” The Dragon King chuckled. “I believe that you have questions concerning magic.”

“A few, sire. For starters what is the difference between your teachings and those of the Dragon God King Watatsumi?” Chiyoko asked bluntly.

“Ah yes, my brother’s teachings. I can see and understand your confusion. For starters, my teachings only talk about the Five Dragon Samurai of the Gods. The teachings of my brother come in six books. Each book speaks to the individual powers of each samurai and their counterparts in the Dragon Kings. It is the sixth book that tells of this lodge and how you are to be treated by the Temple Elders.” The Dragon God King explained as he reached into the folds of his kimono. When he pulled his hands out, he held all six books. He handed one book to each girl. He handed three of the last four books directly to Satoko. “Two of these books only concern the Ice Blade, and Stone Cutter. The last book holds the complete teachings of my brother the Dragon God King Watatsumi. It also speaks of this lodge and the magics that protect those within its walls. Guard them well miko.”

As each girl looked down at the leather-bound books, they all noticed something special about the covers. No two were the same. While each book was bound in the finest leather each had a very different engraving in the center. The one that Chiyoko held had the symbol for the Void in the center of the Yen-Yang. Just as it appeared on her armor. It was the same for the other books. Each one was marked with the individual symbols of the Dragon Samurai. Fire for Fire, Wind for Wind, and so on, with all five symbols of the ancient classical elements. The only one that was truly confusing was the book concerning the lodge.

This book’s cover had the Tree of the World surrounded by a dragon holding its tail in its mouth. In the center of the Tree, held in the dragon’s front right claw was a Great Pearl of Wisdom. Of the six books it was the largest and had the most ornate cover. This book the Dragon King Ryōjin placed in the center of the kotatsu.

Ryōjin placed his right hand on the book. “When my brother; Watatsumi, last flew among the clouds of this world he foresaw a great need for the Dragon Samurai. He was the one who charged Toyotama and Wolong with the duty of finding the first Samurai. He was also the one who originally cursed the Sourusureiyāzu of the Kyamo no Sa.”

“Great, just freaking great.” Chiyoko grumbled. “And here I thought it was just your son and daughter who screwed me over. Any more of your family want to chime in and screw with new kid on the block, my Lord?”

Ryōjin chuckled at Chiyoko’s discomfort and flippancy. “You are a true treasure Chiyoko Hakuryū. I see you returning true balance to this world. Even if you have to drag it kicking and screaming into a new era of peace.”

He looked over at Satoko and Satomi. “My daughter may have punished you for your transgressions against the Temples in your old world, but I will grant you one boon. In return for this boon you will guide the Dragon Samurai as the TRUE educators that you could have been in your old world.”

With a wave of his hand a glow enveloped the two miko. As it faded a clarity came to their eyes that hadn’t been there before. It was as if their true intelligence had been unlocked. When the gathered mortals could finally see clearly once more the Dragon God was gone.

“Okay that was just freaky.” Kasumi complained. “Just how many of the Dragon Gods have you actually met face to face, Chiyoko?”

“Let see.” Chiyoko held up her hand and began to name them off as she raised a finger for each one. “First there was Toyotama, then Wolong, followed by Jiro, then Jun. No wait, before Jun, there was Ryōjin and Zennyo Ryūō, then Jun. That makes five so far. Why?”

“Yup, that about covers them all. At least she hasn’t pissed any of them off.” Akane said with a grin, as Satoko, Satomi, and Kasumi looked on in disbelief. “What? I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. Chiyoko would make a great Goddess of Chaos.”

“Oh, come on Akane, I’m not that bad. I don’t go looking to piss of the Gods. It’s just that they find my lack of respect funny or something.” Chiyoko sighed. “All I ever wanted to do was to follow in the footsteps of my heroes.”

“We know and understand, kohai.” Satomi said as she opened the book in the center of the katotsu. “You’re just a product of our home world.”

“Can we change the subject please? Better yet can we get back on the original topic.” Chiyoko whined. “I know that I’m not really setup for dealing with this world and all of its craziness.”

“Right, we were talking about the Laws of Magic being the realm of the poet or actor.” Satoko said as she reached over and tapped the book in Chiyoko’s hand. “As I was saying earlier. We know that alchemy and the laws that govern it are closer to the Laws of Physics. Laws that govern the actual physical world and the four classical elements of Earth, Wind, Fire, and Water.”

“That isn’t too farfetched of an idea, Satoko. Though while it does help Mistresses Kasumi and Akane, it’s of little comfort or help for Mistress Chiyoko.” Satomi pointed out as she slowly hunted through the Teachings of the Dragon God King Watatsumi. “You still haven’t explained your theory on how magic is the preview of the poet or actor. Not that I don’t believe that you’re on to something with that idea.”

“Think about it, sister. Poetry and magic both have something in common. Good poetry has at least the three classical characteristics of Meter, Rhyme, and Rhythm. Yet it takes the actor to bring any true depth, feeling, and meaning to those words.” Satoko explained.

“Hold on here Doc. The few times that I have worked magic I’ve used basically the same formula each time when calling on the power, then one simple command. How can that be poetry or the work of an actor?” Chiyoko put in as she thought back over how she had cast those spells.

“Ah! It is not the words themselves but your INTENT, kohai. The words don’t matter but the intent behind them.” Satoko now had the final piece for her theory. “I bet that there is a certain set of hand gestures that you used when casting your spells. Gestures that just felt correct.”

“Well yes. They just sort of came to me as I recited the formula for the spell it’s as if they focus the power. Does that help?” Chiyoko explained.

“I will lay you even odds that your book holds more than the history of the Kyomu no Sa, kohai.” Satoko said as she tapped Chiyoko’s book. “I bet that more than three quarters of that book is filled with spells. A list of spell components and descriptions of the individual spell effects.”

Chiyoko flipped open her book and found that it was just as Satoko predicted. Seeing this Kasumi and Akane followed her example to find the same thing. All three girls were amazed that they already knew everything within the books. The realization hit the girls like a locomotive under full steam on a downhill grade highballing for all it was worth.

“If what I am reading here is correct, Satoko. Your theory is only half of the equation.” Satomi said as she slid the book in front of her sister miko. “Here read this couplet. Make sure that I’ve translated it correctly.”

“The Ways of Power shall come to the Five Samurai of the Dragons as if born to them. The great secrets of Power shall be revealed onto them as if bathed in the light of the sun.” When Satoko finished reading she pushed the book over to Chiyoko. “Mistress, would you care to double check my translation?”

“Considering what happened the last time I trust you to translate something, Satoko. You bet your ass I do.” Chiyoko almost snapped but held her tongue and anger in check. After ten minutes of going over the texts four times Chiyoko sighed. “Word for word, doc. I just have one question. This next couplet. It talks about a possible sixth Dragon Samurai.”

“I believe that is a reference to the Dragon Kings’ Shogun. A dark herald if you will. I haven’t had a chance to really read the full text yet.” Satomi told them all with a shrug of her shoulders. “The Temple Elders were upset that I was even reading their copy of the teachings.”

“Satomi, why were you reading the teachings in the first place? What made you think that there was anything in them concerning us?” Chiyoko asked.

“Earlier after you and Mistress Akane left to talk with her mother. One of the Temple Elders asked if you would be returning to your home. When I asked him what he meant the Elder told me about this compound. How it was set aside for the Dragon Samurai. Well my natural curiosity got the better of me. I started to wonder why this compound was here only for the Five Defenders or Dragon Samurai. I just had to read the original teachings of Watatsumi. So, I kind of snuck into the main temple archives.” Satomi blushed. “Before you say it, yes I know that’s what got you, me, and Satoko into this flipping mess in the first place, Mistress.”

“This is one time that I’ll forgive you. Did you at least get a good look at the temples copy?” Chiyoko asked the blushing Satomi who nodded her head. “Did you learn anything from their copy?”

“Just that it is filled with lies, half-truths, and mistranslations.” Satomi snarled. “Now that I have access to a REAL copy of Watatsumi’s teachings I can tell you without a doubt that the temples copy is a forgery. One meant for trying to control the Dragon Samurai if they should ever reappear.”

“Are you sure of this sempai Satomi? Please, I have to know that the Temple Elders won’t try to control us.” Akane begged of Satomi.

“I wish that I could, kohai. But I will not lie to you. I was able to translate and read two full chapters of the teachings before they found me. I have never in all my years as a researcher seen such a blatant twisting of facts and falsehoods.” Looking over at Chiyoko and Satoko. “Not even the Christian bible of our world, with all of its missing Gospels can compare.”

“I must say Satomi, I’ve never heard you talk this way. Not even when I sent you to authenticate that forgery of the Gutenberg Bible in Belfast two years ago. What I can’t figure out is how you knew that the Temple’s copy was a forgery. What tipped you off?” Satoko asked slyly.

“Three things, Satoko. The first was the feel of the parchment. It was too new. It might be one or two hundred years old at best. Second, the ink smelled and tasted wrong. It was written in an oil-based ink of later periods instead of a graphite based in as it should have been. Lastly, the way that the texts was bound. The style of binding didn’t come along until the late eighth or ninth century. I know that this is another world and timelines maybe different but there can’t be that much of a difference in the timelines between our two worlds.” At Chiyoko’s questioning looks Satomi explained. “I have been able to place the era for this world as compared to our old world’s time. If my calculations are correct.”

“Well don’t keep us in suspense Satomi. I know that you love your drama but now is not the time of it.” Satoko snapped. “What era are we in?”

“If this was our old world we would be in the Golden Era of the Victorians. Only here it did not end with a World War. This world has never had a World War like ours did. There have been wars yes, but nothing on the scale that was seen in our old world.” Chiyoko and Satoko could not believe what Satomi was telling them. “There have been wars of conquest and plenty of empire building but that was done mostly through commerce.”

“But that doesn’t tell us the year damn it!” Satoko snapped.

“I place us sometime around the mid to late nineteen-hundreds. At a guess I would say nineteen-oh-five to nineteen-ten.” Satomi could have knocked Chiyoko and Satoko over with a feather. “At least that is when we would be on our world.”

“Oh, you’re using the Western Judeo-Christian calendar.” Akane said with a smile. “In that case the year is nineteen-ninety-five.”

“HOLY SHIT! You mean to tell me that the Victorian Era has lasted for over a hundred and fifty years?” Asked a very stunned Chiyoko.

“If you’re talking about the Elizabethans then yes.” Kasumi said brightly. “We’ve never heard of these Victorians.”

“It’s nothing Kasumi, just one of the differences between your world and our old one.” Chiyoko said as she looked over at the mikos. “Princess Elizabeth of Clarence must have lived and took the throne instead of Victoria in this world, Professors. Could that be where the timelines shifted?”

“It had to have happened much further back than that, kohai.” Satoko told her as she turned thoughtful. “I would say that it happened as far back as the late thirteen to early fourteen hundreds. Maybe even before that. I’ve often wondered what would have happened if Romulus won over Remus.”

“But he did win, sempai. Rem ruled the ancient nations of the West for more than ten centuries before falling to the might of Picks, Brits, and their army of Druids and Mages.” Kasumi told the trio from another world. “The legends of Merlin and Morgana backing the Great Emperor Author were being sung in the saké and tea houses during the first Toyota Empyreal Dynasty.”

“Looks like Arthor and his Knights of the Round Table are more than a legend in this world.” Satomi snarked. “I think I’ve a theory that explains everything we’ve been seeing here.”

“Okay, Satomi, wow us with your theory. After all your field of expertise is ancient legends and their basis in truth.” Satoko challenged.

“In our world the legends are just stories. Told by bards and minstrels as fables. In this world those fables and legends are more than stories of morality. They’re actual history. History that the bards of our world have been able to see. Somehow.” Satomi explained. “We both know that a great many of our greatest authors, poets, and musicians were drug users. What if in their drug induced dreams, they actually ‘saw’ into this world. And wrote about what they saw here.”

“That’s a little farfetched Satomi, but it would explain a great many things. About both worlds.” Satoko postulated as she scratched her chine. “It also ties in with my theories on the Laws of both magic and alchemy.”

“I think I get it now. OUR bards and poets somehow affected the Natural Laws of this world. I should say they laid out the Law of Magic and Alchemy.” Chiyoko said as she snapped her fingers. “That’s why the Laws of Magic are the preview of the poet or actor. I would take that analogy one step further. I would say that the Laws of Magic are more the preview of the wordsmiths.”

“Well according to the legends the greatest of all Mages was were poets and actors in their younger years.” Kasumi told the three scholars.

“That’s true. A good number of our legends tell of how the mightiest of alchemist were said to be mathematicians of some skill.” Akane put in.

“And there is the proof to our theories. Now all we need to test those theories.” Satoko said as she crossed her arms out of habit. “The scientific method should still hold true, even in this world.”

“The question is how, Doc? All three of us just know what to do without trying. Akane and Kasumi can work alchemy without a transmutation circle. While I actually know what spell to use for a certain reaction.” Chiyoko knew that what her old boss was thinking was on the right path.

“I propose that Mistress Akane draw out an actual transmutation circle. Then have her transmute something small. Say a bowl of rice into a statue of the God Jiro, in his Dragon form.” Satoko suggested as she hand Akane a piece of paper and a charcoal stick.

Five minutes later Akane had drawn out a very complex design while muttering about elements and rates of exchange. When Satomi placed the bowl of rice in the center of the circle nothing happened. That was until Akane placed her hands on each side closing eye her eyes and pushing her power into the circle. There was a flash of light, and where the bowl of rice once sat was a three-foot tall dragon statue.

“Just as I thought. When our alchemists use an alchemic circle the Law of Equivalent Change gets bypassed to a certain degree. They get a great return for their power and sacrificial material.” Satoko said smiling. “Mistress Chiyoko I want you to think of about a poem from our world, then I want you to use that poem for the bases of a spell. Just make it small, please?”

Chiyoko gave her one-time boss and former Professor a dirty look but did as she asked. “Something small she says.”

Chiyoko’s mischief side reared its head at this point. “Hickory, dickory, dock. The mouse ran up the clock. The clock struck one. The mouse ran down. Hickory, dickory, dock.”

There was a flash, a clap of thunder, and on the far wall a grandfather’s floor clock appeared. Chiyoko giggled as a small gray mouse ran up the side of the clock. The clock didn’t strike one but did show the correct time. “I think I put a little too much power into that spell.”

“You just wanted to know the time I take it. Not have an actual clock appear?” Satoko asked as she smiled. “However, we do have proof of concept and theory now. Seeing as how you had a more traditionalist education Chiyoko I believe that you will have a far greater access to magic than any Kyamo no Sa in the history of this world or any other.”

“You know something Doc. You could have kept your theories to yourself. And I would have been ignorantly happy as a pig in slop.” Chiyoko bitched.

Satoko smiled and raised her right hand placing the thumb against her chest and palm flat while bowing her head with eyes closed. “But wiser not to the ways of the Force you would be, young Padawan.”

Akane and Kasumi cocked their heads in confusion. Satomi just giggled. All while Chiyoko pounded her head on the kotatsu exclaiming. “She did not just pull a Yoda on me!”

“Ah but she did young Padawan. Such are the ways of the Force.” Satomi deadpanned much to the pained expression of Chiyoko.

“Are you two finished with picking on me? Or do you have more Star Wars puns to pull.” Chiyoko groaned out with her forehead on the kotatsu.

Both Satoko and Satomi giggled then took pity on their one time intern. “We’re done Mistress Chiyoko. No more Stars Wars jokes.”

“At least for tonight, anyway.” Satoko snarked.

“Thank you, sempai. But can we get back on topic?” Chiyoko asked.

“True we still have the mystery of the compound to solve.” Satomi stated. “I believe that I have a clue as to when and why this place was built.”

“Talk to us, Satomi. What did you figure out?” Chiyoko asked excitedly.

“It seems that sometime around the year one-twenty AD of the Judeo-Christian calendar or there abouts. The Dragon God King Watatsumi visited the Elders of this Temple in his true form.” Satomi had the book that held the teachings of the Dragon God King Watatsumi opened to a certain passage. “It says here that Watatsumi came down from the Heavens. He floated over the central compound for twenty days and nights. During that time, he gave directions on the construction of this compound.”

“Okay I’ll bight, just how detailed where those directions?” Chiyoko questioned her. All the while fearing her answer.

“Let’s just say that Moses had less-specific instructions for building the ark of the covenant.” Satomi said as she ran her hand downward reading the instructions aloud for the building of the compound.

“Let each outer wall stand one talon tall by one tail length long. The Hall shall be three quarters of a tail long and three quarters wide. The inner courtyard shall hold the hoard of a juvenile yet no more than a young adult. No iron shall be used to bind the joints of the Hall. The stones of the wall shall be cut in such a way as to lock without the use of mortar.” Satomi stopped there and looked up at the stunned faces of the gathered young women. “There are more instructions along those lines, but you get the gist of the matter. I do have a theory for these detailed instructions.”

“Okay, let’s hear it Satomi. Though I have an idea as to why this place was built in such a manner and it has to do with magic.” Chiyoko snarked.

“I believe that you’re correct kohai. The seal over the gates in the outer wall supports this theory. As does the fact that your armor disappeared the moment you walked through the gate.” Satomi surmised.

“Any ideas as to why that happened?” Kasumi wondered.

“If my theory is correct, which I believe it is, this compound is protected by the magic of the Dragon God King Watatsumi. Now, remember this is only theory, but I believe that I’m on the right track.” Satomi was really getting worked up over her theory and the others could tell.

“We know that there are Four Great Dragon Gods. Ryōjin, Zennyo Ryūō, Watatsumi, and Otohime, each one governs a different aspect of life. By that I mean Life, Death, Magic, lastly Science and Alchemy.” Satomi saw that Chiyoko was becoming restless. “The Goddess Zennyo Ryūō governs Alchemy and Science. The Goddess Otohime governs Death. The God Ryōjin’s dominion is Life. The God Watatsumi’s domain is that of Magic.”

“I get it now. This compound was raised by magic and is protected by the Dragon God that governs magic. It is his power that holds sway here. Even though our armor comes from the power of our individual patron God or Goddess, their power cannot overrule Watatsumi’s. Not here within this compound.” Akane said excitedly as she bounced on her heels. “Our Patrons may be powerful but they’re no match for the true God of Magic.”

“Exactly. Not even Toyotama’s curse holds any power within these compound walls.” Satomi held up her hand to stop Chiyoko. “This compound may be annex of the Dragon Temple, but it is still devoted to only one God. The Dragon God King Watatsumi, God of magic. Only the Imperial Dragon Ryōjin can overrule Watatsumi within these walls. Even then he must obey certain rules.”

“Let me guess. The Laws of Magic. Am I right?” Chiyoko asked.

“Very good kohai. Not even the Gods can disobey the Laws of Magic and Alchemy.” Satomi explained with a sly smile. “Though there are exceptions to every known law in the multiverse.”

“Like the way that Akane and Kasumi can perform alchemy without a circle. Or I can just wipe out some crazy powerful spell with material components. Shit like that, right?” Chiyoko grinned having spotted the three biggest exceptions to the laws of magic and alchemy.

“So, whenever we’re inside the walls of the compound our armor disappears. Doesn’t that leave us a more than a little unprotected?” Kasumi wondered aloud hoping for an answer that she could live with.

“Yes, and no, Mistress Katsumi.” Satomi answered. “While you are without your armor. You are far from being unprotected. You’ve seen the seal over the outer wall’s gates.”

All three of the teenagers nodded their heads as Satomi turned the book so they could see the design of the seal in the book. “According to this passage. That seal is the personal seal of protection from the Dragon God King Watatsumi. It would take a power greater than all Nine of the Lesser Dragon Gods to shatter the protective wards that surround the compound.”

“You’re saying that so long as we’re inside the compound we won’t have access to our armor, but we’ll still be protected. What about someone just walking here and killing us in our sleep?” Chiyoko grumbled.

In answer to Chiyoko’s question both Satomi and Satoko held up their left hands. There on the ring finger was a twisted band made from three deferent types of gold. There was a small flat circle in the center that was stamped with the seal of the Dragon God King Watatsumi.

“The only reason we were even allowed to pass through the gates is because of these rings.” Satomi explained. “According to the Elders and from what I have been able to find in this book so far. I have the feeling that should anyone else try to enter without permission or evil intent they would die instantly. And very, very, painfully.”

The grandfather clock finally chimed drawing everyone’s attention. Satoko placed her hands on the kotatsu and pushed upward. “The hour is getting late and you girls need your rest.”

“I agree with Satoko. Gather your books Mistresses.” The three teenagers gave the two mikos dirty looks but did as they were asked. Even as Satomi gave them a sly smile. As they were walking to their rooms Satomi called out. “I suggest that you read the first few chapters of your books, ladies. We’ll be testing you on the material in the morning.”

“WAIT! You’re give us homework?” Chiyoko screamed. “I thought we were the ones in charge around here?”

“Of course, you are, Mistress Chiyoko. But not when you are our students.” Satoko answered back with a lopsided smile. “After all we’re still your teachers, young padawan.”

“Damn. Even on another world I still get stuck with homework.” Chiyoko grumbled. “When am I ever going to get a break?”

“Such is the life of the teacher and student, padawan. We must learn before we can teach.” Satoko told her with a straight face. “You just have a slightly steeper learning curve to overcome than others.”

-----tbc-----

up
364 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Alchemy

Another excellent chapter.
And doing alchemy without transmutation circles? Why do I have the feeling someone watched Fullmetal Alchemist? ;-)

Fullmetal and a few others

wolfjess7's picture

(giggles) Fullmetal, Strike Witches, Brave Witches, High School DxD . I have to admit that I've been watching all 4 over the last few weeks.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Homework!

WillowD's picture

Yuch!

This story is reminding me more and more of the Death Dealer Saga, which is my favorite Wolf Jess story.

Thank you, Wolf Lady, for these wonderful stories.

Boyo'l

This is immersion story telling of the highest..! Guaranteed to become fluent within 10 chapters or 6 months!

alissa

Newbies have much to learn

Jamie Lee's picture

Although the teens have information in their minds, they still have a lot to learn when it comes to the gods and the powers given to them.

The books given them can augment what knowledge they've been given. And they can't gain that augmentation except by reading.

Others have feelings too.