Forever the Dragon Princess -chp 7

Printer-friendly version


Forever the Dragon Princess

The year is 2024. And one of the greatest archaeology finds of all time is on display at the Smithsonian. No one ever expected to find something buried deep within the caves below Mount Fuji, Japan. Especially not a seven foot tall, fifteen foot wide, two foot thick, one-thousand pound, hand carved red lacquered, ebony wood, bejeweled sculpture of the dragon Toyotama-hime that is over 2000 years old. For 16yr old Tony Watanabe this statue held more than just your normal fascination. It held his destiny.

Chapter 7
The Straight arrow or Law and disorder

Previously on Forever the Dragon Princess
A heavy rumbling chuckle echoed and cutoff all conversation as a heavy cloud floated in from the sea. As the cloud neared the market place the cloud peeled back to revel the massive from of an all-white Dragon.

“The Kyamo no Sa sees the hearts of all men, Captain. You cannot hide from her Sight.” The Dragon’s voice rumbled deep in its chest and vibrated the very air with its power. “The Dragon Samurai have come last to my village. Where Law is all that matters.”

“Ah crap! There goes my plan for using stealth.” Chiyoko groaned.

“Does she always piss off the Gods, sisters?” Yoshie wondered out loud.

Akane and Kasumi looked at each other before answering her with one simple word. “YES!”

~o~

Chiyoko couldn’t believe what her new sisters dared to say. It’s not like she went out looking to piss off the gods of this world. It’s not her fault they have no grasp of teenage sarcasm. Well, the sarcasm of teenagers from her world, Chiyoko had to remind herself.

“Oh, stuff it you two! I’m working here!” Chiyoko snarked in a bad New York accent. Though she did turn very serious and polite as she turned to face the massive form Choe-long. “My, Lord. We seek our sister. Will you help us? Or will we be forced to fight your Watchwomen to the death?”

“I am the embodiment of Law and true Order, Kyamo no Sa. Why should I allow you to break that which I am bond to up hold?” The Dragon asked with a chuckle. “As for fighting my Watchwomen. Not even you are strong enough to face them all down.”

“On my own, maybe not, but I am not alone, my Lord.” Chiyoko answered hotly. “I am never alone. I will always have my sisters by my side.”

“And what if I should decided to intervene on behalf of the Watch? Do you believe your sisters’ powers of alchemy and Sourusureiyāzu are enough to stop me?” the Dragon didn’t even bother to hid his contempt of the other three Dragon Samurai and their weapons.

“Theirs may not be able to harm you my Lord.” Chiyoko began as she stroked her Sourusureiyāzu. “But mine can. Not even you can stand against the embodied power of your father and uncle combined.”

Choe-long gazed down hard at the Sourusureiyāzu under Chiyoko’s hand. “I see. You are right young Kyamo no Sa. Not even I could stand against the might of that blade. Though I cannot simply allow you to bring disorder to my domain. If you wish to find your sister, you can do so. But only in the light of day. You have until sundown. Then you must leave. Only to return on the morn. You have until two days hence to find your sister. I shall give you but one clue in finding your sister. Like all pearls truly of the greatest price you must dive to the deepest of beds and pay the price.” Choe-long said as he slowly fades from view.

“Oh boy. This is going to be good.” Chiyoko grumbled. Looking over at the Captain of the Guard and the gathered Watchwomen she got the distinct feeling that they weren’t just going to let her go about her business unmolested. “Any chance I could talk you all into just walking away?”

“You have entered a restrict area, Ronin. We have no use for your kind here.” He told me with a grunt. “Now, come with us.”

“Um… no. We kind of need to find someone before nightfall.” Chiyoko said with half friendly grin. “You heard what Lord Choe-long said.”

“It his laws that we obey. Laws that you’ve broken by being here. Now, you can come with us peacefully.” He said as he signaled the other guards. “Or you can be forced to come with us.”

“I don’t have time for this crap.” Chiyoko sang through clenched teeth. “Don’t do anything sisters. Leave, this is to me.”

Chiyoko held her right hand like a pistol while she used two fingers for the gun barrel and point at the Captain. Chiyoko let mind fill with the words of that classic rock power ballad. While Chiyoko hadn’t had time to truly study the spells held inside her Book of the Void. She had already figured out the greatest secret to magic. It was not the words themselves but the intent behind those words that shaped the magic.

“Shot through the heart
And you're to blame
Darling, you give love a bad name
An angel's smile is what you sell
You promise me heaven, then put me through hell
Chains of love got a hold on me
When passion's a prison, you can't break free
Oh, oh, you're a loaded gun
Oh, oh, there's nowhere to run
No one can save me
The damage is done
Shot through the heart
And you're to blame.”

With every line Chiyoko sang out she jerked her hand as if she fired a pistol. With each jerk of her hand a dart of pink light shootout to strike one of the Town Watch. Starting with the Captain. Slowly the eyes of the Town Watch glazed over in stupefaction starting with the Captain. Even Akane and Kasumi who were used to seeing Chiyoko whip out magic as if it was nothing, were surprised by the subtle power of Chiyoko’s spell.

“What did you just do?” Yoshi whispered.

“Watch and see, little sister, watch and see.” Chiyoko said with a grin. With an ease that she failed to notice, Chiyoko sashayed up to the Captain swinging her hips in the must seductive manner she could manage. The visual impact on her target was far greater than she could have hoped for. By any stretch of the imagination. Once Chiyoko sidled up next to the stupefied Captain she ran the fingernail of right index finger across his jaw. As she did this Chiyoko thought of all the movies, and anime where there was an airheaded oversexed bimbo character.

In an almost childlike voice Chiyoko whispered in his ear. “Now Captain nappy, wappy, why do you want to take poor little old me in? It isn’t like we broke any real laws. We just wanna find our sissy, wissy. We know she here some wheres. Won’t you please, help us find her? You do and we’ll be gone before you can say poo. Promise.”

“You promise?” The captain asked in a hormone driven sexual daze. “Really promise to leave as soon as you find her.”

“As soon as we can. Little old me, promises, Captain.” Chiyoko said as she batted her eyes at the befuddled man. All while she pressed her breasts into the arm, she held the whole time. “You can trust little Chiyoko.”

“Okay.” The Captain sighed. “Sergeant Kimiko, round up the ama.”

Chiyoko clapped her hands in front her breasts as she bounced on her toes in place. “Oh goodie. Thank you so much. You make Little Chiyoko so happy.”

“Um… sir, do you want all the ama?” The Sergeant asked in bewilderment.

“On no, Chiyoko only needs the ones that around her age, big captain.” Chiyoko pouted. “We don’t need them all.”

“Sergeant only gather the ama with three to eight seasons. Leave the rest to their duties.” The Captain grinned at Chiyoko’s actions. “I give you a hand.”

As they Town Watch spread out through the village Chiyoko smiled and glided over to her sisters grinning. “That worked better than I thought it would.”

The looks of total confusion that her sisters wore told the story. They were all at first confused, befuddled, confounded, and finally flabbergasted by Chiyoko’s behavior. They were confused because it looked like Chiyoko’s spell hadn’t work. Befuddled because she was able to just able to glide up to the Captain without consequences. Confounded in that she acted like an airhead. And flabbergasted in that her actions had the Town Watch doing their search for them. Chiyoko just cocked her head to the side. “What?”

“What in the nine Hells did you do to them?” Yoshi asked bluntly.

“She bewitched their minds child. Then used the greatest magic of all, sexual sensuality.” The voice was old and cracking. Filled with a lifetime’s pleasure, pain, joy, and sadness. As the four young Samurai turned to face the voice a cackling laugh filled the seaside salt air. The ancient ama that sat behind the counter had to be in her late 60’s to early 70’s. “Very wise, young Kyamo no Sa. Force without violence. Your patrons would be proud. The very cornerstone of eternal balance.”

“Who might you be ma’am? I can tell that you’re too old to drive anymore.” Chiyoko told her honestly. “The Headwoman for the ama perhaps?”

“No dearie. Just an ama who has lived long enough to be beached by old age.” The crone chuckled then smiled. “All the youngsters call me grandmother.”

“Grandmother! Grandmother!” Four young ama hollered out as they came running into the market place. They couldn’t have been more than twelve to thirteen. Children barely ready to make their first dives. Boys that were still learning to swim. With her magical Sight Chiyoko could tell that these boys had yet to take the final steps to becoming Redībōizu before ama. Most likely the unwanted sons of the villagers. “Hurry! Come quick, the Watch are rounding up all the fourth through eighth season divers.”

“Relax younglings. They are not in trouble. The are fallowing the orders of these Samurai.” Grandmother waved the younglings to step close. “These are the Dragon Samurai. They have come from the Great Dragon Temple far to the north of here. They have come seeking their sister.”

As the old crone talked the younglings’ eyes grew wide in wonder at her words and disbelief. The oldest of them harrumphed. “Everyone knows that the Dragon Samurai are nothing, but legends spread to give false hope. Besides, no one special ever comes from Daiamondoobuzashī.”

“Ah but today young Matoko, everything changes. Today even the Great Dragon Lord Choe-long must bow to the ways of his sister, the Mistress of Chaos, Princess Choe-ze.” The old crone cackled. “Just as we change the pearl beds we dive with the seasons. We do not dive the same pearl bed season after season. To do so is to overfish the bed. When that happens the bed dies. Even the Law must change with time. Without change is stagnation. Stagnation equals death, younglings. This ends today’s lesson, mark it well.”

“Yes, grandmother.” They chorused.

“Good. Now go stand under the watchtower on the first landing. Watch what happens when your older Redībōizu sisters gather in the square. It will be up to you three to tell the younger amas in years to come of this day. When it is time for you sit here and teach the next generation of younglings.” The crone older then pointed to the watchtower.

The three younglings scampered off towards the tower. They knew better than to argue with the ancient Redībōizu. Once they were alone Grandmother smiled. “I have lived for seventy-two years. Dove the beds for forty-seven of those years. I sat here at the foot of this very booth learning from the Grandmother of my youth. She dreamed of seeing the time of the Dragon Samurai. She told me the stories of how the Diamond Blade shall come from our number. She charged with me passing on those stories. I never thought that I'd live to see the coming of the legend and the end of our enslavement.”

“What do you mean? The end of your enslavement?” Yoshi asked in confusion. “I thought that the ama were free.”

“No, child of the North. Half truths spread by the village Headsman. We do not birth enough sons to keep the ranks of ama filled. Even our wives who lie heavy in pregnancy each year can match the needed numbers.” At the looks of shock on the four young women’s face the old crone sighed. “We may be enslaved Redībōizu, but we still have wives. The Forever Mist hides our families from the outside world.”

“Um… grandmother, just who are your wives? I mean where to they come from?” Akane asked as politely as she could.

“You’ve already met a small group of them.” The old crone chuckled. “The Watchwomen. Only a Toransuman can marry a Redībōizu within Daiamondoobuzashī. They become our wives and mothers to our children.”

“Son of a bitch! No wonder why I was getting the impression that some of them were pregnant.” Chiyoko smiled. “The two that were way in the back. The ones wearing the yellow and green padded armor.”

“Ah, yes Che and Su. Their husbands will, be very happy to hear that. It’s a good thing that their husbands have more then ten seasons on the beds now. I would hate, to see one of them taken from their family.” Grandmother told them.

“We would not break up a family, grandmother. I don’t care what the Dragon Gods want. I’ll never allow that to happen.” Chiyoko swore.

Grandmother smiled than pointed towards the town square. “Then go in peace young Kyamo no Sa. The Watchwomen have gathered the ama. Find your sister.”

Chiyoko placed her hands on the hilts of her swords as she bowed to the ancient Redībōizu. “Your guidance has been much appreciated grandmother. I am sure that Lord Choe-long will reward you for your life of service.”

“I’m a very old ama, Kyamo no Sa. I know that Lord Choe-long no longer has need or respect for someone like me. No need to waste your breath with pleasant words young Ronin. Now go quickly my time is near and I would see the Diamond Blade chosen.” The ancient ama ordered.

Chiyoko, Akane, Kasumi, and Yoshi all bowed one last time before turning to the town square. If the four young girls had looked back, they might have warned the old ama. No saw the tall hansom gentleman in white robes trimmed in gold appear out of the mist. The old crone never looked up as he place his hand on her shoulder. “Just a little longer my Lord. That is all I ask.”

“You know the Law, Kohaku. The grandmother may see the coming of my champion, but she cannot witness the birth.” With that Choe-long pulled her spirit from her body. “I may have to face change as part of the Natural Order that doesn’t mean I have to surrender to those changes without a fight.”

“You could have let her have let her see her grandchild rise beyond this humble surroundings bother.” Choe-ze told him as she appeared next to him in her own human form. “What harm would there have been? She would have died within the year anyway. What change could have come from her knowing who would step forward to be the Diamond Blade?”

“I have no desire to change what should remain the same. Too much change has ruled this world for too long. Only here have I been able to fight back against your insufferable influence. Chaos is not true growth. Without order, without Law, change for change’s sack is meaningless. Do not think that I did not notice your attack on my village of Bondēji no josei. They fallowed the Law. You had no right in destroying them.” Choe-long challenged his sister. “I was forced into this agreement by our father. I would happily destroy the Dragon Samurai as they are an uncontrollable force. They bring change without thought of consequence or tradition.”

“Woman in Bondage, needed to be destroyed long ago brother.” Choe-ze snarled. “They may have been within the Laws of man, but they broke the Laws of Nature. They broke MY laws. I was within my rights to punish them as I see fit. If you still wish to defy our father feel free to do so, but do not stand in the way of the Dragon Samurai. This is the way of nature.”

“Did father send you here to tell me this, sister?” Choe-long demanded.

Choe-ze chuckled. “You should know better, brother. I only go where my whims take me. I do only what pleases my fancies. Though I would dearly love to see you take on the Dragon Samurai I cannot allow such folly.”

“Folly you say. Really sister. They are but mere mortals. None a threat to ones like us.” Choe-long scoffed at his sister’s warning.

This time Choe-ze laughed out load hearing this. “Oh, dear brother, you have truly deluded yourself. Anyone of the Dragon Samurai is a match for you on their own. When you combined them not even father can stand against them. Only uncle has that chance.”

“They cannot be that powerful. Father and mother would never allow a mortal to challenge their power. Not to mention our aunt Otohime. She would strike them down with not but a snort from her nostrils. As for uncle Watatsumi. Not even he is foolish enough to grant that type of power to humans.” Choe-long chuckled as he countered his sister. “There must be order sister. For there to be order there must Law. That is the true Law of Nature. Not your ever changing whims of Chaos.”

“Do you truly believe that you can hide your Diamond Blade from her sisters brother?” Choe-ze asked him smirking.

“I have been fooling mortals for centuries sister. This shall be child’s play. I even gave the fools a clue so that you and the others cannot accuse me of cheating or not doing my duty to that foolish command of father’s. After today you shall all truly see that we do not need the Dragon Samurai. That we can finally put an end to this foolish tradition once and for all.” Choe-long told her smugly.

“I’ll make you a wager brother. If the Dragon Samurai can find your Diamond Blade today before sunset. You bestow the full power of the Diamond Blade. For the first time you will not place any restrictions on your champion.” Choe-ze demanded of her brother with a smile.

“Done. But what do I get if I win?” He countered.

“You’ve already stated your terms. You will no longer have to abide by father’s order. No more Dragon Samurai.” Choe-ze told him with a smile. “Before you say that I cannot override his order don’t. It is within my purview to change the game. I am the personification of Chaos after all.”

“How do I know you won’t cheat your crazy bitch?” Choe-long countered.

“I won’t need to cheat brother dear. I won’t have to turn the winds of Fate, nudge the wheels of Chance, or bump the dice of Fortune. You set yourself up for failure from the start, brother dear. Don’t you remember? You were the one that demand the individual Samurai come from our areas of greatest influence except for mine. You had to have control over at least one other Samurai. Your prideful need to exert control over everything including Chaos shall be your undoing. See even now they are figuring out your game.” Choe-ze chuckled as she pointed towards the four Dragon Samurai. “Pay up brother.”

“The game is not done yet, sister. I still have until sundown. Then they must leave and come back tomorrow. When that happens the Town Watch will not have to let them reenter the market. And the ama will be in their boats as they should be from sunrise to sundown, diving the oyster beds.” Choe-long chuckled as he waved aside his sister’s claims. “They cannot sort through all twenty-four ama in time.”

“We shall see, dear brother. We shall see.” With that Choe-ze faded away.

As the two Dragon Gods in human form were arguing among themselves. Chiyoko and her three sisters gazed over the gathered ama. Of the twenty-four ama gathered in the town square none of them were over eighteen. The youngest of them was barely fourteen.

“Chiyoko, you got an idea of what to look for?” Akane asked her as she stepped beside the Kyamo no Sa. The most powerful of her new sisters.

“I’m trying already, Akane.” Chiyoko hissed as she gazed at each ama in turn with her Magical Sight. “I can that they’re all Redībōizu, but that’s it. It’s not like it was with you, Kasumi, and Yoshi. Something is blocking certain aspects of my sight.”

“What was it Choe-long said? Like all pearls truly of the greatest price you must dive to the deepest of beds and pay the price.” Yoshi asked with her head cocked to one side as she looked over the gather ama.

“Something like that why?” Chiyoko answered.

“I got an idea. Maybe it’s time for a little disorder to all of this order. I mean just look at them. All lined up in neat little rows. Everyone dressed in the same stretchy all white skin suit. Even the top half of their faces are covered. Just twenty-four faceless statues. Total conformity to the ideal of the perfect pearl diver. Even down to their body shape and size. No one stands out from their neighbor.” Yoshi almost snarled. “Just like the pearls that they dive for day after day.”

“Okay we can see that, Yoshi. What’s your point?” Kasumi frowned.

“Um… Kasumi please correct me if I’m wrong. Nobody can lie to you correct?” Yoshi asked. To which Kasumi just nodded her head yes. “Good. Stand ready. I’m going to ask them several questions. The one we want will have found the most expensive of pearls off the deepest of oyster beds.”

Kasumi took a deep breath and focused on the twenty-four divers. “Okay Yoshi, I as ready as I can be. Ask your questions?”

“Who here has swam with the Blue fin?” All but four raised their hands. Kasumi just nodded her head. “Okay you four who haven’t can go.”

“Why’d she ask that?” Akane asked Chiyoko.

“The depths at which Blue fin tuna swim is pretty deep.” Chiyoko answered.

“Who here has swam with the Great White?” Yoshi asked. This time only twelve hands were raised. “Who has faced a Giant Black Hammerhead?” The hands went from twelve to six. “Who has see the Dire Wolf shark?” Only three hands remained. “You three can stay the rest of you can go.”

“Damn that was fast. How’d she know to ask those questions?” Kasumi asked of Chiyoko who just shrugged her shoulders.

Yoshi walked up to the three. “Please remove your masks and show me your faces? I need to see your eyes.”

All three Redībōizu reached up and pull their hoods off. Once their faces were showing Yoshi could finally tell their ages. One eighteen, one seventeen, and one barely sixteen. “Do you have your graduation pearls?”

“Their what?” Chiyoko asked of Yoshi.

“Before an ama can dive on her own they must make one solo dive to the deep oyster beds. It is the one pearl they never sell. They take it to the grave with them. The one with a pearl found only at the deepest of oyster beds is the Diamond Blade. You’ll know it when you see it.” Yoshi answered with a grin of triumph. “Lord Choe-long shouldn’t have given you that clue.”

“Why do you say that?” Akane asked Yoshi.

“He wanted to hide his Diamond Blade from us. He wants to keep the status quo no matter what the Dragon Gods want.” Yoshi smirked. “He has to prove that the way of Law is above all else.”

At first none of the three Redībōizu moved until the eighteen year old reached under her dive suite. The pearl she pulled out was a yellow teardrop seven millimeter Akayo that hung from a silver wire necklace. Yoshi took one look at that pearl and shook her head. “Not her. Thank you, you can go.”

The seventeen year old girl just turned to the younger. “Go on. We both know that you have the most precious of all pearls brought up in the last forty-seven years, Chikako. Only grandmother has another perfectly round fifteen millimeter black pearl like yours. You earned this, and I won't stand in your way any longer, little sister.”

Chikako reached into the neck of skin suite and slowly pulled out a pearl so black that it shined as if polished under a spotlight. The moment the pearl appeared the overhanging clouds parted with a clap of thunder and a single ray of sunlight struck the pearl. The sounds of laughter filled the square and Choe-ze appeared in her human form.

“I told you that they would find their sister brother. Will you honor our agreement?” Choe-ze called out.

There was no crack of thunder, no flash of lightning, not even the pop of air displacing as the enraged Dragon God of Law appeared. “HOW?! How did you find my Diamond Blade so easily? What sorcery did you use? What Trickery did you play? Did my siblings lend you their power? Tell me mortals!”

“The answer is E. None of the above.” Chiyoko wise cracked.

“YOU DARE TO INSULT MY INTELLIGENCE!” Choe-long began to form a massive ball of granite in his right hand when the very air split with the crash of rolling thunder and flashing lightning. In the air surrounding the village square were the other five Dragon Gods of Neutrality. Even the Goddess Choe-ze transformed into her true self. But the most frightening sight though was the two golden dragons and two onyx black dragons that dwarfed the others. These four dragons were more than twice the size of the others, and radiated power like they were twin suns.

“Oh shit! I think I might have overstep the line this time.” Chiyoko whispered as she slowly reached out to move Chikako behind her. As if she could provide any sort of protection if these nine monstrous creatures decided to trade more than insults. She knew that here before her was the total Royal Court of the Dragon Deity Pantheon.

“You think?” Chikako gasped at the strange woman in Dragon armor. Like all the young Redībōizu raised within Daiamondoobuzashī. She had heard the stories told by grandmother of the Dragon Samurai. She remembered them all. Especially the ones that described them in their armor.

The larger of the two golden dragons, slowly floated downward to hover over Choe-long. The voice was deeper and rumbled deep in his chest, but Chiyoko knew that this dragon was, Ryōjin the King and father of the Dragons. “You have constantly tried to defy my order, Choe-long. Your pride has endangered this world six times. Now, when you have lost despite fixing the odds in your favor. You raise your hand towards those who have bested you in fair play. Your own sister even told you that you would fail, but still you ignored what was placed before your very eyes. The trickster Gōjun has more honor. What do you have to say for yourself?”

“I will not be fooled here father. There is no way that mere mortals could have figured out the answer in such a short time, without magic, or divine intervention. I would know which of you cheated me out of my rightful victory.” Choe-long answered as he puffed up his chest.

The larger of the two black dragons floated down next to the golden one. “Rightful victory you say? What rightful victory? You were beaten before the game even started, boy. Even after all this time you still cannot see the truth for what it is. Change and Chance cannot be dictated by Law. These are your sister’s purview which you have no control. Despite all your attempts.”

“Choe-long, bestow your Samurai with her rightful power.” Said the smaller of the two black dragons as she settled in over his head. Even though the voice was deep and rumbled Chiyoko could tell that this dragon was female. That made her Otohime Dragon Goddess of Death, and not one to be played with. “Or face me in honorable mortal combat.”

“Oh man. Why did I have to go and get snarky?” Chiyoko whined.

“No shit. Why? Just why can’t you act with respect towards the Gods just once? I mean you’ve got all but four of the major Dragon gods and goddesses here over your smartass.” Akane whispered.

“Chikako Minami step forward.” Choe-long growled. As the fifteen year old Mistress level ama drew near the angered Dragon God he snarled. Reaching out faster than the eye could follow Choe-long grabbed the Redībōizu by the throat and squeezed in an act of defiance to his parents and siblings. “Know this slave, I would have spared you the guilt and punishment of breaking village law. Your desire to step out of your acceptable role within this society. Let this be the first part of your punishment.”

Chikako threw her head back and screamed at the top of her lungs. There was no love, no compassion, in Choe-long’s actions. Only pure power and barely controlled rage. The sheer amount of raw power that flowed over Chikako ripped the white skin dive suite from the poor teen’s body in pieces. Choe-long lifted the now naked female teenager off her feet to hold her at arm’s length by the throat as she continued scream in pain. Only the silver chain that held her black pearl still hung from her body.

“Let the sign of your Mastery now mark you for all time. That which you worked so hard to earn shall now cover your filthy perverted form for all to see. I curse you to be forever my Diamond Blade. Forever to walk the earth never know your home again, slave. Just as your armor sets you apart from humanity so Sourusureiyāzu shall set you part from your sister samurai.” As Choe-long snarled into the face of the girl.

Sets of inky black tattooed chains spilled out from the black pearl covering her from the neck down to her crotch. Up over her shoulders, across her hips, wrapping down around her arms and legs. When the last of the tattoos appeared warped around her body a solid black metal band appeared under Choe-long’s hand. From this band the purest of white armor flowed down over her body. As the last of her body was covered in white a massive bastard sword appeared between Chikako’s shoulder blades. One so black that even light failed shine off the edges. Even the sword’s shoulder scabbard was black.

The last piece of Chikako’s armor to appear was her mask. Unlike her sisters’ masks Chikako’s covered her whole face. Where her eyes should be were a pair of solid black lens. The lips of the mouth were sealed in a straight line. Chikako’s mask was mostly solid white with the exception of the solid black lens over her eyes. Chikako’s mask robbed her of her individuality. With the last of her armor now in place Choe-long dropped the girl then turned to face the gathered Dragon Gods. He had one last act of punishment to perform.

“The Dragon Samurai have broken the laws of this village. Will you stand in the way of the law? Deny them the rightful punishment they have earned? Punishment that the mortals of this village cannot hand down?” He challenged.

“Does he tell the truth daughter?” Ryōjin asked of Choe-ze.

“I wish that it was not so, father. Yes, the Dragon Samurai have broken the laws within this village.” Choe-ze answered honestly.

Ryōjin floated upward slightly out of the way. “What laws were broken?”

“Entry without permission. Entry without escort. Multiple counts in the use of magic for the bewitchment of a Town Watch. Dispelling of a protective vail. Interaction with unauthorized persons without an approved translator or guide. I can go on, but what is the use. I cannot carry out the mandatory punishment of death.” Choe-long snarled. “But justice must be carried out.”

Chiyoko, Akane, Kasumi, and Yoshi suddenly realized that Choe-long had set them up to fail. No matter how they played his game. He knew that the moment they found their fellow sister the protective vail would be dispelled. He also wasn’t going to just let them leave without punishing them for just appearing in the middle of the ama village. Or talking with the old crone. They had walked right into the bastard’s trap.

Chiyoko looked at her sisters for guidance and found none. Akane just squeezed her hand. “We’ll follow you, Chiyoko. No matter what.”

Kasumi and Yoshi nodded their heads. “Okay guys. We stepped into this assholes trap. Now that we have last sister. We have to pay the price, but don’t worry. This ain’t over. Not by a long fucking shot.”

“CHOE-LONG!” Chiyoko yelled out at the top of her lungs. “You say that we have broken too many of the laws for this village for me to name. This is true. You demand that we answer for breaking those laws. To face some type of punishment. Unlike you we are honorable samurai. What punishment would you have us face? What do you see as befitting?”

“I would have you all beheaded in the town square as the law requires. Only, you came here through the use of targeted magic. Seeking the Diamond Blade.” Choe-long was looking up at the gathered force of dragon gods and goddesses. His family, and the ones that he ultimately answered to for his actions. They could do nothing about the way he treated his own samurai, but the others were another matter. He looked down at Chikako then back up at Chiyoko, Akane, Kasumi, and Yoshi. As nasty grin came to his face. “Just as my samurai is cutoff from humanity by her armor for all the crimes committed here this day. She should not carry the sole blame for your crimes. Let your punishment match her own. What say you King Ryōjin?”

There was pandemonium at Choe-long’s challenge. More than one of the other Dragon Gods weren’t happy with what their brother was wanting. He let them all voice their opinion of Choe-long’s plan. They knew that he was not one to let everyone to escape Justice in his mind. To him nothing matter but Law. It didn’t matter whose or what law. Just that Law be upheld and enforced. His stringent adherence to this philosophy has cause more than one fight in the Heavenly Halls of the Skies. It ended when Ryōjin roared.

“Enough! This is Choe-long’s purview. We cannot stand in his way if he decides to punish those who break the Laws.” Ryōjin looked over at his brother Watatsumi. “You have said nothing brother. What do you believe?”

While the others waited with baited breath on the second most powerful of Dragon Gods gave his opinion. They had moved to help Chikako to stand. Akane leaned in and whispered. “Are you alright, sister?”

“Yes, the pain has gone away. My body no longer burns.” Chikako blinked her eyes at Akane. “Why does my voice sound so muffled?”

“Sister your mask covers your whole face. There only two small holes where your nostrils should be.” Akane told her as she hugged the new girl. “Don’t worry it’s not always there. Only when in public.”

“Like when the ama walk outside the mist or when we dive. Only the younglings, those who can longer dive the beds, and grandmother are allowed to show their faces.” Chikako took a deep breath and let it out slowly. “I can deal with that. I have for the last four seasons.”

Watatsumi had been listing to the girls talk as he though over the answer to Ryōjin question. Slowly he nodded he massive head. “We cannot deny that Choe-long is within his rights to punish the brashness of the Dragon Samurai. However, their punishment must be tempered with mercy. Choe-long would have all five share in the same punishment. Then so be it only, it shall be by my hand that punishment is imparted. Not his. We all know that he believes that all punishment must be accompanied with pain.”

“What use is the lesson if there is no deterrent? Pain is understood by even the most ignorant of animals. Provide the right amount of pain and even a dog learns not to piss on the carpet.” Choe-long snapped. “This is the truth behind power. Those who have the power make the Law. Law is not good or evil. Law is Order. That is the truth.”

“Goddess, how I would love to kick that joker in the ball sack.” Chiyoko snarled. “So, those with the most power make the Law. Everybody else just needs to suck it up and get over it. Is that it?”

“Be still Kyamo no Sa. My uncle barters for your punishment.” The voice was one the Chiyoko knew well.

“Yes ma’am, Princess Toyotama.” Chiyoko whispered and bowed her head.

“That is your Truth, nephew. Just as the way for each of your siblings is their Truth. To impose your will on their samurai is to deny their Truths.” Watatsumi chuckled as Choe-long looked as if he swallowed a bug. “If you were to try and force your Truth on their samurai. They would be within their rights to attack you one at a time, or all at once. Though I believe that the young Kyamo no Sa will happily gut you herself. And nephew. Her Sourusureiyāzu will do more than rip your soul out.”

Choe-long ground his teeth. “They must still be punished, uncle. It is my right to see that Law is up held.”

“And they shall be punished, but justly and with mercy. Agreed Kyamo no Sa?” Watatsumi asked of Chiyoko. Though it was less request but statement of fact.

“Agreed Lord Watatsumi. We will summit ourselves for punishment by your hand only. If Lord Choe-long even thinks of pushing things with us.” Chiyoko looked at the dragon in human form and snarled. “We turn him into Bar-B-Q chicken wings with a side order of gator tail.”

Light flashed out front Watatsumi’s right front claw to engulf all five of the Dragon Samurai. At first the nothing happened then slowly as their faces were being shaped by an invisible hand each girl became the mirror image of their sister Chikako. Just as their faces had been changed to match Chikako so had their mask. Gone were the domo style masks that had been their standard until now. In their place were now classic full face masquerade masks. Though each mask was marked by the individual colors of the individual armor.

“That should ease your unquenchable need to punish those that have broken the law, Choe-long.” Watatsumi rumbled. “They all share in the same punishment now. They have been cursed to forever be banished from their homes. Forever set apart from humanity. To never know peace.”

“It will have to do.” Choe-long grumbled as he looked at the gathered Dragon Gods. He knew that not even with his brother Atsushi and sister Chieko backing him could he stand this amount of power. He had to trust in their plan to unfold at the proper time. Looking over at Toyotama. “Take your samurai and level my domain sister.”

“Why thank you brother. For doing your duty.” The Goddess of Neutrality rumbled as a soft glow surround the five Dragon Samurai. “And brother. This is not over yet.”

Chiyoko, Akane, Kasumi, Yoshi, and Chikako saw then felt the glow surround. Right before the pop of rushing air fill the area around them. All five staggered after the swirling lights and sounds stopped. All five dropped to their knees from the rush of dizziness that over took them. The sounds of running the first thing that Chiyoko recognized. Looking up she was greeted by the sight of the Temple Elders gathering around them.

Sitting back on her heels Chiyoko took a deep breath. “Well that was totally craptastic. Anybody besides me that is got the sinking feeling that we haven’t seen the last of that asshole Choe-long?”

“Where are we?” Yoshi asked in a quiet voice.

“Welcome to the one of the Ten Temples of Truth in the Yamanashi Prefecture, located in Chūbu, on the side of Mount Fuji. This one is dedicated to the God Wolong and Goddess Toyotama.” One of the Elders answered as he moved to stand before the returned Dragon Samurai. Looking down at their mask covered faces the Elder cocked his head and sighed. “I see that the God Choe-long has once more extracted a price for his Diamond Blade. When will the other Gods and Goddesses put an end to his madness?”

“If you’re waiting on them to do so something about the nutjob Elder. You’re wasting your tears and time.” Akane groaned as she stood up. “Sorry, Elder Yo, but the Gods cannot interfere with what is considered another God’s domain. Simple as that. So long as it concerns the order of Law, Choe-long can do what he sees fit.”

“If we want to change things. It’s up to us poor mortals to chance them.” Kasumi told the Elder then moaned as she bumped her hand against her new mask. “Why couldn’t they had at least left the mouth open?”

“This was done as a punishment sister. It is my fault that you now share my fate.” Chikako bemoaned as she stood up next to her new sisters. “This is the Sealing of the Banished. It is what is done to ama who dare to step outside of their roll in my home village. I’m sorry.”

“No, child. This was done as nothing more than a way to sooth a God’s vanity. Nothing more, nothing less.” A new Temple Elder said reassuring her.

“Yeah if anybody is at fault it’s Chiyoko and her need to be a smart ass with the Gods.” Kasumi snarked.

“I am not a smartass, Kasumi.” Chiyoko huffed.

“There what are you?” Akane asked as she cocked her head.

“I have to agree with them. You’re either a smartass or you’re totally nuts.” Yoshi said as she looked around at the Temple.

“I am neither a smartass or crazy.” Chiyoko huffed as she crossed her arms under her breasts. “I’m delightfully demented.”

-----tbc-----

up
350 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Law is a cruel thing sometimes.

Beoca's picture

Masks permanently covering their whole faces when they are out and about? That could be rather annoying. But power should allow for a workaround to enable sight and communication (and hearing, potentially) to not be too affected.

There is a difference between law and order......

D. Eden's picture

And law must always be tempered with humanity and mercy. Punishment for punishment’s sake is nothing more than cruelty and torture. Choe-long would have been loved by the Nazis or the NKGB.

Somehow, I see Chiyoko getting even with him.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Do not confuse law and justice

From Bobbie Cabot's Shepard moon stories:

‘punishment may make us obey the orders we are given, but at best it will only teach an obedience to authority, not a self-control which enhances our self-respect.’

“Elyra’s Great Messiah said once, that there are two kinds of power - one comes from the fear of punishment and the other comes from acts of love. Power from love is thousands of times more effective and permanent than one derived from fear.

Choe-long is also breaking the law himself by trying to prevent the Dragon Samurai from doing their job.

Gumby - I'm flexible

"Imagination is more important, than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

“The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds
new discoveries, is not ‘Eureka!’, but ‘that’s funny…’” - Isaac Asimov

"delightfully demented"

WillowD's picture

I think I like delightfully demented. :)

So a little Bon Jovi helped

So a little Bon Jovi helped weave the spell this time.
I wonder what she'll hit Choe-long with when it comes time to deal with him.

Sinehow, Somewhere

Wendy Jean's picture

their will be a reckoning.

Rigidity of law eventually breaks

Jamie Lee's picture

Choe-Long has no concept of compassion, or that more can be achieved with compassion than with pain. The only thing accomplished with pain is the acqusition of fear, and the misguided belief of control. At some point intolerance for mistreatment overcomes fear and the slaves revolt.

Choe-Long should have paid better attention to what Chiyoko did, then he would have seen how simple questions gained their new sister.

Poor losers have a way of defeating themselves in the end. Especially as time walks all over them as it passes.

Something else doesn't realize but will learn the hard way some day. A tree that sways in a strong wind has a better chance to survive that one that stands rigid. While the tree that sways keeps it's roots safe, the tree that stands proud is killed by having it roots pulled from the ground.

Choe-Long is the tree that stands proud, and change is the tree that bends in a storm. All of Choe-Long's laws won't save him when the gale force winds of change take place.

Others have feelings too.

The Triumvirate of Law

Drakira's picture

Choe-long alluded to something in the background. The three dragons who hold sway over the law, at the very least, look like they are going for a coup against the pantheon's leadership or a power play to hold more sway over things. I hope the Dragon Samurai keep a healthy level of distrust concerning him and those two siblings.

Drakira