The Black Sword. chapter- 5

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 5
Champion’s quarters. Morning three weeks later.

Morgan looked in the mirror that stood in the corner of the room she had been assigned. In the other corner stood a rack with her black dragon armor. Morgan shook her head as she took in the teenage girl in the mirror. The black leather leggings, gray silk blouse, with black leather over tunic, and black leather boots were a gift from the Grand Master and the Grand Marshall. For Morgan these simple clothes and the others in the wardrobe closet were a gift from the Gods. The only item that she kept from her armor was Stormbringer.

“If I dyed my hair black I could be a stunt double for Anne Hathaway in The Devil Wears Prada.” Morgan said to the empty air of the room. “At least I’m not having to wear my armor all the time now.”

“I learned a very accurate saying during my time in the human world.” The voice had an unearthly sexuality to it. Morgan sighed as the ghostly figure of Stormbringer took the shape of a young teenage woman behind her. Not just any woman but Morgan’s twin. “The first sign of going crazy is talking to yourself.”

“Storm that is only if you start answering yourself.” Morgan corrected the sword. “Though there are times the only way to have a decent conversation is with yourself.”

“As long as I am at your side you no long need to worry about that Morgan. Though I am slightly surprised at your reaction to Unnut. The Melnibonéans have always had a special bond with dragons. Why did the Great Worm strike such fear in your heart?” Stormbringer asked Morgan as she moved to float in front of her.

“In my time and world creatures such as dragons are things of myth. They are also feared because of the power they hold.” Morgan explained for the mystical form of the cursed black sword. “By the way Storm. I’ve been meaning to ask. How is it that in all of the research that mom has done and every legend that I’ve read. Only at the end of the legend of Elric do you ever show this form?”

“There was one other time that I have shown my true form Champion. That was to the original Morgana Le Fey.” Stormbringer told Morgan with a chuckle. “But you are correct that I have never shown this form to any of the other wielders. Only the most powerful of them have earned the right to see my spiritual form. For you it’s a necessity. Someone has to teach you the right way to wield a sword.”

“Just great I’m such a suck ass at being your wielder that you decided to be my to take pity on me. Is that it?” Morgan grumbled.

“No, Morgan. You’re not a suck ass for a wielder. On the contrary. The problem is you don’t know how to be a Champion. In all of my history there was only ever one naturally born Champion. Even though he fought against his nature.” Stormbringer told her with a sad smile. “Elric was the greatest and most tragic of my wielders.”

“The man who told his story in my old world painted Elric as your most reluctant of Champions. As you have access to my memories. How true was the story he told?” Morgan asked as she turned away from the mirror. As much as Morgan didn’t want to admit it. She was becoming use to the face mirrors showed her now.

“Half-truths at best. This man Moorcock failed to truly express the tragedy that was Elric’s lonely life. Nor did he grasp the significance that the destruction of the Melniboné Bright Empire held for the fate of this world. Just as the Fall of Camelot and King Arthur’s Round Table shaped this world. Even as the Dragon kin left when their time was done. So did Arthur and his knights left Camelot at the end of their age. No matter how they come about. All great ages must come to an end.” Stormbringer told her as she slowly floated around the room. “Just as the age of magic in the outside world has come to an end.”

“Why did you bring me, my parents, and our friends to Avalon?” Morgan almost demanded of the ghostly woman.

“I did not bring you to this mythical island of Avalon. I brought you to my home the Dragon Isle of Melniboné. Though depending on who you talk with they are one in the same. I must admit that those sages just might be right.” Stormbringer told Morgan with a small smile. “There is only one way to find out. We must go to the other side of the island.”

“Well to do that. We must travel through the forest and over those mountains. Because mom, dad, and Professor Grant have already figured out that travel by sea is a no go. That mist totally surrounds the island. Any boat that tries crossing through it just ends up right back in the bay.” Morgan told Stormbringer as she adjusted the belt holding her scabbard with a snarl of frustration. “Damn. Isn’t there any way to wear one of this things comfortably?”

“Loosen you sword-belt two notches then tilted it across your hips. Let the scabbard hang lower on your left hip. Let the weight of the sword and scabbard hang from the right side of your waist.” Morgan did as Stormbringer instructed. “That should be more comfortable for you. If not I can change my shape to a more desirable form.”

“No, you’re good as is. No need to go changing form.” Morgan snickered. “Thank you for the offer anyway. Besides I’ve kind of gotten used to you as a bastard sword.”

When Morgan giggled at calling the ghostly female form of Stormbringer a bastard the entity gave her a funny look. “Why do you laugh?”

“I don’t know about the time you come from Storm, but in the age that I was born. Calling someone a bastard is grounds for a fight. Doesn’t matter if they’re a sword or not. Also, as you’re a female. The proper name I should use is bitch sword.” Even Stormbringer had to chuckle at Morgan’s off handed logic. “Back to the topic of discovering whether this island is Avalon or Melniboné. You suggested that the only way to find the is to travel to the other side of the island. Why go there?”

“If this is the Dragon Island of Melniboné then the ruins of the ancient city of Imrryr would be found there. It was also known as the Dreaming City. Plus a few other names. Though the one that fits it best is the Dragon capital. Though Unnut along his brothers are enough to suggest that Avalon and Melniboné are one in the same.” Stormbringer chuckled as she turned her head towards where Unnut not nested. “I had not thought to see one of the three Great Worms of Destruction here. Let alone all three of them.”

“Wait a minute I thought that they were some kind of sign for the End of Times.” Morgan waved her hands back and forth. “OOOHHH!”

“Not hardly. Dragons are dragons. No matter their size or age. While they are formidable in battle and damned near impossible to kill. They are still mortal. They have but one weakness. Their ass.” Stormbringer chuckled. “In truth dragons are a lazy lot. Unless provoked a dragon will happily spend their days sleeping on top of their hoard. Only waking to eat, breed, and relieve themselves on some poor farmers prize cash crop. Just for something to do to breakup their boredom.”

“Oh man. Why did I even bring the topic up. That is way more information than I wanted to know about dragons.” Morgan sighed as the sword chuckled.

“Care to learn about their mating habits?” Stormbringer asked slyly.

“NO THANK YOU! That would be TMI!” Morgan snapped in shock while Stormbringer chuckled. “You know something Storm. You’re evil incarnated. With a capital E.”

“Why thank you. Thank you very much.” The ghostly figure said as she did a very bad Elvis imitation. Leaving Morgan to wonder where the sword learned about the King. She soon got her answer. “Before you ask. The King of Rock and Roll was one of my greatest wielders. The man just knew how pluck my strings.”

“Wait a second. Elvis Presley was one of your wielders? The singer, actor, and King of Rock and Roll? THAT ELVIS PRESLEY? HOW?” Morgan asked in awe.

“I told you that I can take on whatever form that best suits my wielder’s needs. I was his first and most treasured guitar. I was there for each song he ever wrote or sang. He even used me to play some of his greatest musical hits. I was always fond of Occupation G.I. Blues. It spoke to the warrior’s heart and how peace weighs heavily on a warrior’s soul.” Stormbringer told her with a small sad smile. “For a minstrel the man had quite the warrior’s heart.”

“Damn. If only my dad and Professor Grant were able to talk with you. They would be over the moon and stars to hear your stories of Elvis.” Morgan chuckled. “I think my mom would love to know more about Morgana Le Fey though.”

“Ah yes your mother is a true scholar of the ancient myths. I’ll be honest Morgan. I actually respect her more than your father and Professor Grant. To find a woman of such intellect in any age is a rarity.” Stormbringer sighed then retreated back to the sword at Morgan’s hip. “We are about to have company.”

The knock on Morgan’s door drew her attention. When she opened the door Morgan was only slightly surprised to find her mother standing there. “Morning mom.”

“Morning sweetheart. You look nice today.” Katherine said by way of greeting. “Though I doubt that you need the sword.”

“I hate to say this mom. I really do. Ever since that asshole at the bar I’ve been challenged to a duel at least once a day. With Stormbringer on my hip at least the truly dumb shits leave me alone.” Morgan complained as she stepped into the hallway. “Where are we meeting up with dad for breakfast today?”

“We’re meeting your father at the Amused Termite. He and Dale the tavern on the night you had your little misunderstanding with the locals.” Katherine chuckled at the blush that came to her daughter’s face. “Don’t worry love. Your father and I are proud of how you’ve handled the situation. It might not have been as diplomatic as we would have liked, but you managed to quail the rising suspicions towards us and Dale. By declaring yourself my Champion and proving your willingness to fight. The Gray Wolves and the Order of the Bear understand that we are not a threat.”

“About that mom. I don’t think this is Avalon. At least not the actual Avalon of our legends.” Morgan told her as they walked through the halls.

“And where do you think we are?” Katherine whispered.

“I think that this Avalon is in truth the Dragon Island of Melniboné. Before you ask mom. I can only say that it is a feeling that I have.” Morgan told her mother as she put her hand on the pommel of Stormbringer. Katherine did not miss the gesture for what is was.

“Would that feeling have some grounds in facts that only you have access to Morgan?” Katherine asked as she gestured towards the sword. “You would not be the first Champion to hold conversations with the Black Sword.”

“Yes ma’am. I won’t lie to you. I have been talking with Stormbringer. Though I didn’t know how to explain all of this to you.” Morgan explained.

“Sweetheart there is no need to explain your connection with that cursed blade.” Katherine told her daughter with a smile. “At least not to me. Your father and Dale are another matter though. You can expect them to have a shit load of questions. That is if you care to share that tidbit of information with them.”

“Are you telling me to keep my mouth shut about the connection with Stormbringer?”

“That is up to you dear.” Katherine sniffed. “Though it is always best to keep an ace up your sleeve, a knife in your boot, and a gun in the waist of your skirt.”

“Mom that is scary as hell. Where the fuck did you learn to think like that?” Morgan gasped in total shock.

“Language dear. I’ll ignore it this time as it is fits the situation. As for how I learned to think along those lines. The answer is simple. When we return home talk with your grandmother. Today this day she still keeps a stiletto in her stocking top, and a Derringer Colt forty-five in her bra.” Katherine chuckled as they exited the city barracks. “It is a piece of advice that I should have passed along to you long ago. Also always ask for fresh dice at a craps table.”

“For some reason mom that sounds like hard learned advice. Care to tell me the story behind where or should I say when you learned to ask for fresh dice in a craps game?” Morgan asked her mother with a sly smile.

“It was during my second year of college. Me, and a few of my sorority sisters had taken a trip to Atlantic city. A few of my sisters when to a less than reputable casino off the main strip. They lost their asses at the craps table. To win back what they lost me, and Jean Burno headed for the casino. When we hit the craps table the first thing Jean did when it came time for her to throw the dice was to ask for fresh dice. The Pit Boss wasn’t too happy to hear her ask for fresh dice. When the stickman balked at replacing the dice. Jean raised enough hell that the stickman and the Pit Boss were dragged off the floor by security. After that our sisters who lost their cash were reimbursed by the casino. The two casino employees were running a crooked game under the noses of the security staff. Ever since then whenever I go to a casino. I ask for fresh dice at the craps table. When it’s my turn to roll the dice.” Katherine chuckled.

The mother and daughter continued to talk as they walked through the streets of Avalon city. To many of the local citizens they made a striking pair. A Lady in the robes of a grand Sage, accompanied by the newest Champion. A Champion whose very skin was a stark contrast to the black leather she wore with an arrogance that was unmatched. An arrogance that seemed to draw in the very shadows around her. Word was already spreading among the civilians that this Champion had a soul as dark as her clothing and a bloodlust that was second to none. A Champion that not even the Green Knight would challenge to a fight. Among the Gray Wolf Order, she had already earned the title of the Champion from the Dark Shadows.

As they entered the tavern where Morgan’s father was waiting. Several of the local ruffians scatter from the main room. Morgan just snorted. “Wimps.”

“Morgan I swear. I can’t take you anywhere. If you remain a girl when we get home. You’re taking Deportment Lessons.” Katherine sighed then giggled. “But you were right about those idiots who ran. No real threat to us.”

“What do you mean by us mom?” Morgan asked her.

“You’re not the only one to pick something up from our trip through that wormhole.” Katherine chuckled as she held up her left hand. Floating just above the palm of that hand was a pale blue ball of flame. “Did this just by thinking about lighting a cigarette. Image what would happen if I put some real power behind that thought.”

“Better yet what happen if you actually knew a fireball spell. You might even be able to throw a fireball stronger than a tactical nuke.” Morgan chuckled evilly.

“I already tried something along those lines in the back courtyard of the Tower of Sages. The target bolder turned to dust.” Katherine had the good graces to blush. “I was only thinking about how a hand grenade worked.”

“Holly shit mom. If a grenade can turn a bolder into dust. I don’t want to see what you could do if you decided to fire of a nuke.” Morgan gasped. “Not even a manpack.”

“Trust me love. Even I fear this power the Goddess has blessed me with.” Katherine shivered then dropped her voice to just above a whisper. “Between my knowledge of basic science and how the world actually works. Any spell that I use is magnitudes more powerful than those of a regular wizard or witch.”

“About that mom. What’s the deference between wizards and witches compared to sorcerers and sorceress?” Morgan asked politely.

“From what I can tell magicians come in two categories. Wizards and witches work with the four basic ancient elements of earth, wind, fire, and water. They are what we would call chemists. While sorcerers and sorceresses work with the intangible. Like our theoretical physicists of our home. That is about the best I can do for an explanation Morgan. From what those dumbasses at the Tower of Sages tell me. I’m what they consider a Grand Sorceress with Enchantress and Spellbinder abilities. Your father is no slouch either. He and Dale both tested out as a Grand Magus.” Katherine told Morgan with a grin then turned serious. “Speaking of testing. You really should come by the Tower of Sages. They already tested the others but none of them showed any talent for the mystical arts.”

“I don’t know mom.” Morgan said as they near the table with her father. “Morning dad. You’re looking in those new robes. Hi Professor Grant.”

“Morning Morgan. You wouldn’t know where that son of mine is by chance?” Grant asked her with a smile.

“Lee, Mike, and Tony joined Dame Mylisant last night while she worked with the city watch. They didn’t get back until just before dawn this morning.” Morgan quickly explained for his friend’s father.

“Mike and Tony I can see doing something like that. It would appeal to their military backgrounds. Lee on the other hand is a totally different story. For some reason I just can’t see that slacker son of mine preforming some kind of civic duty like standing watch with the city’s guards.” Dale grunted.

“I won’t call Lee a slacker sir. Lee is many things, goofball, knucklehead, smartass, and all round jokester sure, but not a slacker. He might not want to follow in your footsteps sir, but Lee is one of the smartest people I’ve ever met.” Morgan argued in defense of his friend. “To be honest sir. I think that Lee is more of a military mind than you give him credit. I would say that your teachings had a profound influence on your son. I know that I can’t beat him in a simple game of chess.”

“I’m surprised to hear you say that Morgan. I don’t know of anyone who has ever beaten you in a chess game.” Steven said in surprise.

“Trust me dad. Lee is a mastermind at chess and other strategy games. The only games of strategy that I have an edge on him is GO or Othello.” Morgan giggled. “I learned that lesson the second week we were here.”

“He should be good at games of strategy, especially chess. Lee has been playing at the Master’s level from the time he was nine. He routinely crushes me and other Professors at our old college.” Dale laughed.

“I can see that happening. Lee turns into a monster in front of a chessboard.” Morgan said with a laugh as she and her mother sat down at the table. “Any suggestions on what to order?”

“Get their steak and eggs with black tea. It’ll fill up and tastes pretty good. Though there black bread and potage isn’t bad either.” Steve suggested.

Once the foursome had ordered their food Katherine waved her hand forming a shield of privacy around them. “Dale, Steve, we need to talk. Morgan postulated a disturbing theory during our walk here.”

“What’s up kiddo?” Steve asked her kindly.

“Dad I don’t think that this is Avalon. At least not the Avalon of our legends.” Morgan told her father. Then sighed at the blank looks on the faces of the two professors. “I believe this island is in truth the Dragon Island of Melniboné.”

“That would explain a few things Dale. We’ve both seen the map in Master Terrel’s office. This island is a lot bigger than what the sages think. Between those mountains and the fog. I would say that only half of the actual island has been mapped out.” Steve told his tablemates.

“I’ve asked Grand Master Grahone about why the people of Avalon only stay to the costal area on this side of the island. From what I could gather from his answer. Those mountains have some sort of mystical connection to the Winter Court of the Aos Sídhe, the Lords of Law and Chaos, and the lost city Iterrora with its Academy Of The Arcane.” Dale told them all with a thoughtful look in his eyes. “But now that we have Morgan’s theory to work from. I would have to say that the mountains and fog could very well possibly be protecting the Empyreal City of Imrryr.”

“There is only one problem. We have no way of verifying this theory. No one wants to cross over those damned mountains. When I asked Grahone why only half the map was sketched out. He was honest. Of all the knights, Scouts, mercenaries, and adventurers they’ve sent into the mountains. None have ever returned. The last expedition was one-hundred years ago by their time.” Steve informed them all just as their food arrived. “Let’s table this discussion for now.”

After they ate. Morgan looked at her parents. “Mom, dad, I know this is going to sound crazy but there’s only way we’re going to get any answers. One of us has to cross over those mountains. As it stands right now. I’m the only one that stands half a chance. As powerful as your magic is you’re all still too new to the art.”

“Speak of magical talents, Morgan. Your father and I have done some research into the Melnibonéans.” Professor Grant started only to have my mother cough. “She has the right to know, Katherine. Don’t you agree?”

“I agree with you on principal Dale, but I’m still not sure she needs to know.” Katherine sighed then frowned at the look Steve gave her. “Don’t give me that look Steven. I thought we were going to wait a little longer.”

“No, Katherine. You decided that we should wait. Morgan should have been told about this the second you found the reference in the library.” Steve almost snarled. When Katherine huffed Steve pounded his fist on the table. “Damn it Kathy! Someone has to tell her before she does something stupid.”

“Okay guys. What the fuck is going on? What did you find out about the Melnibonéans and magic?” Morgan almost demanded.

“Calm down Morgan and I’ll explain.” Katherine told her soothingly. “Do you remember how I was describing the deferent types of magical users?”

“Sure, you said there were basically two types. Those that gain their power from the elements and the other from spirits.” Morgan answered before taking a drink from her hot tea. As she set her cup Morgan remembered something from her reading of the Elric Saga. “In Moorcock’s stories the Melnibonéans were powerful elemental sorcerers and alchemists. Some of the guys in my old gaming group at my old school before we moved had a theory about that.”

“Please Morgan. Now is not the time to bring up half-baked theories founded on fantasy and pot inspired dreams.” Dale snorted only to have Steve interrupt him.

“Now hold here Dale. While I would normally agree with you these are not normal circumstances. Most of what we’ve found here would fall into the world of fantasy and legend. Even with all we’ve found in that magnificent library most of it would be consider fantasy or at best legend. It might be time to listen to our children. I know that it goes against everything we know as historians but even your own son has tried to point this out to us.” Steve told him honestly.

“It’s true Dale. Morgan isn’t the only one either. Lee, Mike, and Tony have all made the same connection. Let’s at least hear Morgan out.” Katherine asked then dropped her voice to just above a whisper. “Morgan might actually be on to something. More than once when I’ve been stuck in my research it was one of her theories that put me on a totally new track for that research.”

“Okay young lady. Wow us with your thoughts. Let’s heard this theory of yours.” Dale grunted with a smile that he would use on an unrulily student.

“Yes sir. The way that I see things is simple. This place is in truth a combination of all of our medieval legends and fantasies. Think about it, sir. We know that the Aos Sídhe Courts are present on the island. The Order of the Gray Wolf confirm this for us already. We also know that the dragon kin hold territory in the mountains. While humans have several towns near the coastline and have claimed half of the island. There are large tracks of forest between those towns and Avalon that are in truth controlled by creatures straight out of D-n-D. I’m talking about elves, dwarves, orcs, and other nonhumanoid monsters. There is all of that and more.” Morgan pointed out for him. “As I was saying some of my old gamer buddies had a theory. They would often point out how many fantasy authors had similar elements in their stories. Even the ones concerning King Arthur and his Knights.”

“While I want to dismiss your friends’ theory out of hand. I really can’t argue the point.” Dale hummed out loud. “Please continue along those lines Morgan. Your friends might actually be on to something.”

“Yes sir, Professor. Over the last few days, I’ve kept coming back to one of my buddies’ theory. Aaden Walters always believed that all of the great fantasy authors some how enter into a dreamlike state that taps into this world. At first I wanted to blew the theory off like I always did, but after arriving here. I’ve been forced to reconsider his theory. Another theory that was proposed by an old gamer buddy concerns Avalon itself. John Forestall proposed that Avalon isn’t exactly one fabled island but a combination of several islands from legend.” Morgan could tell that her father had a question and stop. “You want to ask something dad?”

“Your friend Aaden. Did he ever offer any proof for his theory of this dreamlike state for fantasy authors?” Steve asked his daughter thoughtfully.

“Yes sir. He would always point out how so many authors had many of the same races within their stories. They might be deferent worlds but had the same races. Whenever I challenged his crazy theory he would always bring up Tolkien, Frost, Moorcock, and Kalvety. Before he would point out how Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson used those same elements and creatures for their games.” Morgan offered her father with a smile knowing how much he hated having fantasy authors used as examples of possible source materials for research. She had to hid the giggle as he glowered. “Sorry dad, but you did ask for his theoretical source materials.”

“That was my bad. I did ask for his sources. I’ll let it go for now because so far you have been able to prove your point so far. You said that you have a theory that this island is in truth Melniboné. Care to explain?” Steve asked her.

“It all starts with those mountains and the mist that surrounds the island. Have you noticed that none of the ships here can pass through the mist itself? Instead, they exit the mist where they entered it. The ships and boats of the harbor can sail along the length of the mist but not through it. Also, there is the point where the mist meets the shoreline blocking off half the island’s total coastline. Then there is the mountains. They run ride down the center of the island completing the division. From what the Gray Wolf knights have told me. Only the Aos Sídhe live in the mountains. Who I believe are the direct descendants of the Melnibonéans.” The more Morgan explained her thoughts the more the adults realized she might be right. Naturally her mother had her own question concerning the Aos Sídhe.

“Morgan how did you come to this theory that the Aos Sídhe, are the descendants of the Melnibonéans? Everything we’ve ever learned says they’re two sperate races.” Katherine pointed out the conventional thinking.

“I don’t think they are mom. Trust me on this. I have my reason. The first of which is the Melnibonéans themselves. According to legend they were the most powerful of sorcerers to ever live. Even the Aos Sídhe Queens are said to pale in comparison to their mystical powers, skills, and knowledge of the arcane. It would have been nothing for the Melnibonéans to enter breed with lesser races once their nation was destroyed. It is from those mixed race couplings that the Aos Sídhe and other elven races were born.” Morgan explained her thoughts for Katherine excitedly.

“How do you explain the discrepancies in aging?” Steve asked his daughter. “After all the Melnibonéans lived relatively short lives compared to the other races.”

“Your father does have a point Morgan. According to legend Melnibonéans lived at most a hundred to a hundred-and-fifty years at most.” Katherine told her honestly. “While the Aos Sídhe and other elven races are almost ageless to the point of being immortal in some cases.”

“I was stuck on that point myself mom. Until I remembered that ninety-nine percent of what we know about that race comes from Moorcock’s writings. The one thing that always stuck out in my mind about the Melnibonéans as a race was their descendancy from dragons. This alone screams an almost immortal race of beings. When I asked Sir Hautdesert what knew about the ancestors of the Aos Sídhe. He told me that they were descended from the dragon kin. In all the legends and stories that I have ever come across there is only one race that ever claimed to be the human descendants of dragons, the Melnibonéans. Sir Hautdesert gave me three possible examples of their descendants’ greatest sorceresses. The first is Queen Tatiana ruler of the Four Fold Court, followed by Morgana Le Fey, and finally the Lady of the Lake.” When Morgan listed off the three Katherine chuckled.

“What’s so funny Kathy?” Dale asked her.

“Nothing really Dale. It’s just that I used those exact same three women as examples for something else when we first arrived here. Though I can honestly see how the two reasons would overlap. Morgan’s theory would also reenforce something else I have often believed and could never prove. It concerns the deferent elf races. Name the dark elf and light elf races. With how they interact with the Four Fold Court.” Katherine told her husband and Dale.

“This is the second time this Four Fold Court has been brought up today. Plus, it has shown up a number of times in our research. Kathy you explain for me what exactly is the Four Fold Court?” Dale asked her politely.

“Morgan would you be so kind. This is after all more your area of expertise.” Katherine said quickly deflecting the question.

“Hold on, Kathy. Why would this Four Fold Court be Morgan’s field of expertise?” Steve asked his wife sharply. “Is this Court more in lines with some fantasy?”

“Steve for once in your life would it kill you to actually listen to our child?” Katherine sighed then slapped the table. “Damn it! Are you so blind to the obvious that you haven’t noticed Morgan and I aren’t the only ones to have change?”

“What are you talking about mom?” Morgan asked as she really took in her father’s appearance for the first time. “Oh shit! Dad when did you get so young?”

“What are you talking about Morgan?” Steve said trying to ignore the 10tn elephant ant in the room. “I haven’t changed at all.”

“Oh, for the love of Pete. Damn it, Steve! When was the last time you shaved? Better yet. When was the last time you worked out? I’ll tell. It was the morning this all started. Yet in the month that we’ve been here you haven’t shaved once. You have continuously slimmed down and gained muscle tone. Not to mention the fact that your face has lost years. If I were to place your age now based solely on appearance. I would say you’re no older than twenty-one. Even your hair has grown darker. It’s almost as black as the day I first met you.” Katherine snapped. “Something is going on with our family. I’ve turned into the spitting image of Morgana Le Fey. Morgan could be the younger sister of Elric, the Last Emperor of Melniboné. As for you. If I didn’t know better I would swear I was looking at the face of Merlin of lost Moridunum. By the way some of the texts that I’ve been reading say Merlin wasn’t human but one of the Aos Sídhe.”

“Okay fine. Yes I’ve seen the changes Katherine. No, I’m not blind or ignorant. I’m just playing the devil’s advocate here. Just like I would for any of our students.” Steve snarled before turning back to Morgan. “Well Morgan we’re waiting.”

“Okay dad. If you’re going to be all Professor Pendragon and shit.” Morgan grumbled. “The Four Fold Court is the four great courts of the Aos Sídhe Queens.”

“How are these courts broken down Morgan?” Dale asked her. “Please be exact.”

For some reason Morgan felt like she was give her dissertation for a Doctorate degree at that moment. “Yes sir. The courts are broken down by the names of the seasons. By that I mean Spring, Summer, Fall, and Winter. Each court is ruled by its only Queen with a fifth Queen elected through combat to rule over them all.”

“Morgan of the four courts which is the most powerful?” Steve asked.

“No one court holds sway over the others sir. To be honest each court could easily smash a human army of ten-thousand knights. The four courts are only divided the way they are is because of their individual natures. For example, the Spring Court is guided by the rules of harmony. Meaning everyone is treated equally. Their Queen is often the most even temper of their number decided on by majority rule. The Summer Court is all about the rule of law. Within their court they have written laws and governed through the fair elections of their ruling Queen. The Winter court is the opposite of the Summer court where only the stronger may rule. Their Queen is chosen through combat. It is the Fall Court that is the most chaotic. They believe in the laws of nature where it is an eat or be eaten life. Their Queen is usually the strongest and most vicious of their number. When it comes to the fifth Queen things get a little hard to understand. As I said that position is decided by combat and is held for life. When the current Grand Queen dies. The four ruling Queens from the courts will gather at a chosen holy place. There they’ll battle it out until only one still stands. This is not a fight to the death, but a contest of wills and magical power. Does that answer your question Professor?” Morgan asked when she finished with her explanation.

“Thank you Morgan. Your answer was both informative and insightful. If I were to give you a grade it would be in the high ninetieth percentile. If that was a dissertation for your Doctorate you would have had no problems defending it.” Dale told her with a small chuckle. “Have grade students and T.A.s who have been working on their dissertations for years who couldn’t have done better.”

“I agree whole heartedly Dale. If Tony and Mike were here they would have learned exactly how to defend their dissertation thesis’s.” Steve said with pride for his child. “Speaking of grad students. Katherine has there been any word yet on Lisa?”

“None. I’ve asked the Grand Marshal to increase the number of patrols through the woods and forests. Plus, I’ve posted notices in the other human settlements. Still, nobody’s seen or heard of her yet.” Morgan’s mother explained as they talked about the one member of the research staff that hadn’t been found. Katherine’s grad student and research assistant, Lisa Lovelace.

“Mom do we even know if she actually came through the portal?” Morgan asked her.

“To be honest Morgan. We only know of us, Mike, and Tony coming through the portal.” Katherine answered honestly. “I do know that Lisa was in the room and near enough to the portal to have been dragged through with us.”

“In others words she could still be in our old world or somewhere else on the damned island.” Morgan snarled as she turned and looked in the direction of the mountains of mist. “I got a nagging feeling I nowhere Lisa might be.”

“How do you figure that Morgan?” Steve asked her with real interest.

“It’s simple mathematics dad. Each one on us landed in a geometric progression from where they stood in relation to Stormbringer in the lab.” Morgan explained then to prove her point used the table silverware to make her point. Putting her spoon down first saying. “This is me with Stormbringer in the forest, next is mom also in the forest. Lee and Mike landed in the fields outside the castle. Tony landed in the training grounds. Dad you and Professor Grant landed in the castle gardens. Do you see how we arrived here in a straight line?”

“We see that Morgan but how does that relate to where we were in the restoration lab?” Dale asked with honest confusion.

“Professor Grant I was holding Stormbringer with both hands. Mom was right next to me touching the blade with her left hand. Next was Lee a few feet away. Then came Mike about two feet behind him. Tony was on the other side of the workstation. You and dad were over by the cleaning station. Lisa was over by the restoration room’s main computer server. The only person that wasn’t within range of the portal still in the room was that one guy with the glasses over by the emergency eye wash station.” Morgan explained as she pointed to each spoon one at a time.

“Katherine how far from Morgan where landed in the forest did you appear?” Steve asked his wife hoping that Morgan was wrong.

“About four to five hundred yards in a straight line between her and the castle. If we go by that logic. Then the spacing between our individual entries into this world would be geometrically progressive. Let me see.” Katherine surmised as she pulled a note pad and pencil from the pocket of her robe. “Dale about how far were you standing from Morgan when the portal opened?”

“Let me think. The restoration lab in the basement of the main historical building is one of the biggest rooms on that floor. If I remember right the room is fifty by one-hundred. That would mean Steve and I were about twenty-five to thirty feet away, Kathy. The workstation where Mike and Tony were working was about fifteen from where you were standing. Lisa and Steve Wells were the furthest away at fifty feet apiece. Though I’m force to admit that Lisa might have been closer at around forty feet because of the size of the restoration lab’s computer server.” As Dale ran down where everyone was standing in the room distant wise. Katherine was busy scribbling away at the mathematical problem.

“Professor Grant why is the restoration lab so massive? I’ve visited a lot of labs like that one at other colleges sir. Though none of them were as big as the one at Avalon College.” Morgan asked him.

“Avalon College’s restoration lab has to be that big Morgan. At any one time we have been known to have exhibits from several major museums from around the world under our care. Not only does our department research and verify artifacts. We also clean and restore exhibits for those museums. While our department didn’t originally start out with the goal of becoming the world’s foremost restoration lab for medieval artifacts just happened. It happened slowly over the last twenty to twenty-five years. Mostly because of heavy budget cuts to the Smithsonian’s restoration department along with cuts to other national museum budgets.” Dale explained for Morgan with a laugh of pride. “Ironically without those budget cuts to the major federally sponsored labs. We would never have had the chance to grow.”

“How so Dale?” Steve asked quickly. “I know the Smithsonian is still the top restoration lab in the country.”

“Not any more Steve. The Smithsonian is at best no more than the third or fourth restoration lab national. Maybe tenth or eleventh internationally.” Dale chuckled evilly. “As much as I hate to say this. Our college owes those useless Democrats in Congress for our rise in status.”

“How did those budget cuts lead to the lab at Avalon being so massive?” Morgan asked as she cocked her head to the side. “Shouldn’t they have affect you as well?”

“Funny thing about our founder and the original board of regents. They hated the thought of accepting federal funding for anything. There is an actual article in the colleges charter that forbids the acceptance of federal for anything except scholarships. To that point a special fund was set up for new buildings. As our prominence among restoration labs rose. The current board of regents used an uncommon amount of common sense for once.” Dale chuckled before continuing.

“They purchased then ordered the total renovation of the historical building that you see now. It used to be a vertical factory for heavy combat construction equipment during the Second World War. The basement where our lab is located was originally the ground floor and finally assembly area of the factory. Before the renovation there was a massive roll-up door at the other end of the building. With such a massively empty area the contractor felt it would be best to divide it up into six equal working labs for restoration work, five individual research labs, and one quarantine lab for handling possible hazardous historical materials.” This last bit of information caught Morgan by surprise.

“The lab where you met us Morgan was the smallest of the individual research labs. The main lab is large enough to restore a Argentinosaurusm skeleton with room to spare. We currently have two German World War tanks one Panther, and a King Tiger under restoration in the main room.” Steve told his daughter with small smile.

“Holy crap! Just how big is the Avalon historical building?” Morgan asked in shock.

“Its footprint covers three square acres. It is also the second largest building on the Avalon College campus. Only the football stadium is larger.” Dale told her.

“I got it! Finally! If Morgan’s memory is accurate. Then Lisa did indeed land in the middle of the mountains of mist. If not on the far shore of the island in the uncharted area.” Katherine said with excitement and a little worry for her student.

“How did you come to that conclusion Kathy?” Steve asked her sharply.

“I applied a geometric progression to the problem. I started with where Morgan and I landed then compared it to where we started off in the restoration lab. Working from there I factored in the placement of all those we know that came through the portal and where they landed. With this in mind I figured out that the standard distance between where each of us land as five-point-eight times then converted to miles.” Katherine explained only to frown towards the end. “At least I hope I got the math right. I always sucked at advanced mathematics.”

“Mom.” Morgan began as she stood up from the table. “Your math is dead on the money. The question now is what are we going to do about Lisa. If she is in those mountains or on the other side of the island. Then some one needs to go after her. Seeing as how the Gray Wolf Knights are expressly forbidden from entering the mist and those so called adventurers are scared shitless of the coastline. That leaves only us. Of the seven of only four have the needed skills to survive in the wild. Me, Lee, Mike, and Tony. Of the four of us Lee is the only one that we can leave behind to provide the three of you protection without pissing of the Watch.”

“What does that mean Morgan?” Dale demanded gruffly.

“Simple sir. The Gray Wolf Knights don’t see Lee as a threat to their authority. Unlike Mike and Tony who are both former military and hold an actual rank in our military. Enough to piss off the military minded members of the Order. I on the other hand am the only one that can move freely about the island without causing a problem for the others.” Morgan explained as she placed her hand on Stormbringer’s hilt. “Unlike the others I have an advantage.”

“You’re so much more than a mere Queen’s Champion.” Katherine said as she looked up at her daughter with pride. “You are the newest Eternal Champion.”

“Sorry mom but you’re wrong. I’m no Champion.” Morgan smirked. “To paraphrase the words of Wynonna Earp. I’m one crazy bitch with a big ass sword!”

-----tbc-----

up
317 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice

Things are starting to heat up

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

she didn't ask the big question

why the transformation from boy to girl? Elric wasn't transformed, so it isn't a requirement of being a Champion and wielder of the Black Sword. I'm kind of surprised she isn't curious about why.

DogSig.png

Ah yes the QUESTION

wolfjess7's picture

Dear Dorothy,

Who says she hasn't asked the question? She also might not be want to ask the question. You'll just have to keep reading to find out the answers because as always. I never let my secrets slip until I'm ready. (chuckle)

Jessie

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Really Jess?

"Our college owes those useless Democrats in Congress for our rise in status.” This seems a pretty unnecessary and cheap shot in an otherwise good story, when it is not Democrats in or out of Congress that are working to roll back the Human Rights of the Trans Community. You are entitled to say what you want to say, yet this is a community that is in the process of being oppressed. Please don't sully your otherwise well written fiction stories with divisive real world politics.

Stalya
Stalya

Sorry about the comment but

wolfjess7's picture

Sorry about the comment but in my home country the so-called Democratic Party were the ones doing more than oppressing the Human Rights of the LGBT community. They actively hunted down ALL minorities. To me all Politicians who fail to do their duty to their constituents are worthless power grabbing, money hungry, slugs. I look at our current crop of national leaders and wonder where things went so wrong. I see them making the same mistakes that the Democratic Socialist Soviet Party made in the declining years of the Soviet Block Nations. As for your comment about the Trans Community in America being oppressed I must disagree. Please understand that I know TRUE oppression. Here there is no State Sanctioned Executions or Deportations of LGBT or other minority. I grew up witnessing and fearing that very oppression in my home nation of Yugoslavia. You would know it as Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Definitions and Names

You are using "Democrats" according to the definitions from your country. Most on here, as US citizens, use the definitions that are used here in the US. There is no reason why those definitions have to be the same. In fact, what with translating various languages, the likelihood is high that the meanings will differ. Even UK English and US English have words that mean different things in each country.

As for names, why are we calling David Sr. Steve or Steven? After all, David Jr. is now Morgan, so there is no risk of confusing the two.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Thank you

for your reply and explanation, Jess. More information shared almost always decreases misunderstanding, and I apologize for making a judgment based on incomplete information. In the state where I was born in and lucky to have left 35 years ago, Texas, the Governor there has started to have Child Protective Service Investigators actually investigating parents of Trans children for having abused their children if they have provided gender affirming medical treatments. I am not trying to disrespect the tragically inhumane treatment of LGBTQ persons in SE European and other countries. Nevertheless, I still believe that particularly trans people in many US states are being increasingly oppressed by governments and those governments refuse to hold accountable for hate based acts. I am glad that you are now in the US and as another veteran, I honor your service.

Stalya

Got to do what they got to do

Jamie Lee's picture

They all are discovering just how misinformed they were of what was written about what they are experiencing. And how true many of their theories are being proven.

History is written from the eyes of the writer, and not always without contempt, hate, anger, or sadness. If history is to be accurate, the writer would have to be completely without emotions.

If Kathy is right, Lisa could be in real trouble, or dead. Stormbringer will be the only main weapon that will allow them to go where no one else will go. Maybe when Stormbringer sings, word will get out and they'll easily find Lisa. Of course, when Stormbringer sings, people will die.

Others have feelings too.