The Black Sword. chapter- 6

Printer-friendly version
The Black Sword.

Down through history there has been many stories of heroes and the weapons of power. Thor with his Warhammer Mjölnir, the sword of Aries and Mars, Attila the Hun’s sword, and King Author’s Excalibur. These are but a few legends. Yet for every one of these legends there are two legendary weapons lost to time. Among those lost weapons are the few whose power comes with a cost. They are the cursed weapons of power. Each curse is unique to the weapon. The Black sword is but one such weapon of great power. This is the story of the weapon and its newest welder.


Chapter 6
Foothills of the Mist covered mountains.

Morgan looked up at the mountains then back down at the map she had purchased. “Damned worthless sketch pad doodle. How the fuck are people supposed get around on this fucked up island? Nothing is to scale or even halfway accurate.”

“What was that Morgan?” Lee asked her from his own horse.

“Nothing bro. Just bitching about how far off the detail is on this worthless map. I mean we’ve been traveling for two days now.” Morgan snapped as she slapped the map with the back of her hand. “And according to this piece of shit we should be halfway through those fucking mountains.”

“Dude you need to take a chill pill.” Lee chuckled. “Let me take a look at the map. It can’t be that far of the mark.”

“Be my guest numb nuts. Because I sure as fuck can’t make heads or tails of this piece of shit.” Morgan sighed as she hand him the map.

“What’s wrong you two? Did you get us lost again?” Mike asked as he pulled his horse next to Morgan’s other side.

“I did not get us lost!” Morgan snarled.

“Okay then why are we stopped?” Tony asked her with a smirk.

“Because something funky is going on Tony. According to that map and what I was able to learn from the guards back at Avalon. Right now, we should be halfway at least halfway through the mountains.” Lee told the older two men as he looked down at the map. “I hate to say this, but Morgan is right.”

“What? Give me that you bonehead.” Tony grumbled as he snatched the map from Lee’s hands. After two minutes Tony turned to Mike. “Say Mike using dead reckoning for the distance covered. How far would you put us from the city?”

“Well considering that these trail horses can cover an easy fifty miles a day over flat ground. That’s with three water and rest breaks. Let me think.” Mike told his three traveling companions. “We’ve be going over hilly and wooded terrain since noon yesterday. We’ve continued over the same type of terrain since we started this morning. Taking all that into consideration. I would say that we’ve covered about fifty to sixty miles. Why? What’s got you bugged Tony?”

“How sure are you of that distance Mike?” Tony asked him.

“Enough that I’m willing to place a month’s pay on it. Again why?” Mike demanded.

“Because if you’re right. Then Morgan is crazy or something really bad is going on.” Tony grunted then looked back down at the map. “Right now, I’m hoping Morgan has gone crazy. Because if she hasn’t. Then this map is way off.”

“Guys, I don’t think that the map is off, or Morgan is crazy.” Lee told all three of them as he pointed in the direction of a massive tree asking. “Is that a Dryad?”

“That’s a hamadryad and the tree is an English ash. Making her a Meliae.” Morgan told the three of them. “Guys whatever happens don’t make any moves towards her.”

“Why do you say that Morgan? She just a dryad.” Lee asked her.

“Dryads and hamadryads aren’t the same thing. I’ll cut to the chase and give it to you in words small enough for you to understand. The dryad is a naturally occurring wood nymph. Hamadryads were once humans cursed to become the living form of an ancient tree’s spirit. The amount of magic that inhabits a hamadryad is nearly godlike. According to my mom the Meliae are some of the most powerful hamadryads know in all of the ancient world.” Morgan told him bluntly.

“Morgan is right Lee. According to legends there has only ever been one demigod to stand against a hamadryad and win. The last time I looked around none of us are a bastard son of Zeus name Heracles.” Tony told the younger man.

“Guys Morgan isn’t crazy, and that hamadryad explains why the map is off.” Mike told them all. “Morgan can’t you feel the magic?”

“Is that what I’ve been feeling?” Morgan asked him in surprise. Mike just nodded his head. “Could she be the reason we’ve been going in circles?”

“That is my current hypothesis.” Mike told her as he glared at the hamadryad. “It won’t be a stretch for her to perform an illusionary spell of that magnitude.”

“Guys stay here. Don’t make any sudden moves.” Morgan told them as she dismounted her horse. Once down she walked slowly towards the hamadryad with her hands held away from her body. “We mean you no harm spirit.”

“Why has one of the dragon kin defiled herself to travel with the likes of humans?” The hamadryad demanded of Morgan.

“I have not defiled myself by traveling with humans spirit.” Morgan snapped. “They are more than just my traveling companions. They are seekers of knowledge, scholars of great renowned, and my friends.”

“Where is thy honor Princess of the Dragon’s Isle? Has the dragon kin sunken so low over the eons as to need humans as allies? Are you perhaps a high born renegade? An outcast among your own kind?” The hamadryad asked her. When Morgan didn’t answer right away the spirit sighed. “How long have I slumbered?”

It took Morgan a few seconds to realize what the hamadryad was doing and why. “The great Melnibonéan race is no more spirit. I am the last of my kind.”

“Say this is not so Princess?” The hamadryad gasped as she stepped fully into view. “Surely the line of Bright Emperors and their people have not perished from the face of the world. Are you not of the Bright Emperors eternal bloodline?”

“I do not know if I am one of the Bright Emperors blood or not. I do know that I am the last of my kind. To my knowledge no others remain.” Morgan explained for the hamadryad as she stepped closer to her and her great tree. “Though it is my hope to find more of my people within the Dreaming City.”

“What of the humans you travel with? Do they also seek to find more of your kind?” The hamadryad asked her as she moved to stand just a few feet from her.

“They are in search of more than just my kind. They seek a friend of theirs. A young woman who would have appeared in these woods one month ago. A human woman of average beauty with jet black hair and eyes of the deepest blue.” Morgan told the spirit honestly as she waved her arms to take in the surrounded woods.

“The outsider woman.” The hamadryad gasped. “I fear that your companions will not find her here. She was taken by the Dark Ones.”

“The Dark Ones? Who are these Dark Ones?” Morgan snarled.

“They live on the far side of the Mist Mountains near the great sea, and all are members of the Dark Fey for the Winter court.” She said pointing towards the now visible mountain trail. “Take this path through the valley between the mountains. It leads to the distant shore. There you will find two cities. One is the citadel of the Dark Ones. The other is the Dreaming City of Imrryr. Take heed young Dragon kin Princess. The Dark Ones will not take kindly to your return. The Dragon kin may be no more, but their kind is still feared. As is their return.”

“If the woman my friends seek lies within the walls of their citadel. Then I shall reduce its walls to rubble. I’ll leave not one stone upon the other.” Morgan snarled as she turned back towards her horse and friends. “We shall take our leave spirit. Thank you for the warning and lifting your spell.”

“Before you go Princess. Should you have need of allies in your quest to free the woman there are still the ancient allies of all Melnibonéans. The dragons.” The hamadryad told Morgan with a small smile. “They still slumber deep int the dragon caves of Imrryr. Go there and seek their help. They should still answer your call.”

“They are not weapons, spirit. They are the kin of all Melnibonéans. As such they are free to do as they will. If they answer my call I shall be forever in their debt. If not then that is their choice.” Morgan told her with respect for the ancient alley of the Melnibonéan race. “Farewell spirit. May the Goddess protect you and your forest with all those that dwell here.”

As Morgan remounted her horse the hamadryad had already vanished back into the forest around them. Mike, Tony, and Lee had watch the conversation between the two powerful entities in stunned and silent awe. The first to shack off their was Lee.

“WHAT THE FUCK?!” Lee shouted as he looked around. “WHERE THE FUCK? HOW THE FUCK? WHO THE FUCK?! I MEAN FUCK!”

“Well that certainly does cover the vast usages for the word.” Mike chuckled.

“It does indeed partner. Though I do have to admit he was able to put our situation into a very exact description.” Tony said just before he chuckled. “Care to tell us exactly what happened Morgan? Because we weren’t in this mountain valley ten seconds ago. You can start with how the hell did we get here?”

“We’ve been here since this morning Tony.” Morgan said she looked around. “Remember how none of us could find our position on the map?”

“Sure. We all thought that you were going crazy. Well except Mike.” Lee answered.

“Well, the hamadryad thought she was doing me a favor by trying to separate you from me. It seems that it has been a while since she last saw a Melnibonéan. Several eons it seems.” Morgan told them all as she spurred her horse into a slow walk. “Thanks to my appearance she thought I was a descendant of the Melniboné Emperors.”

“Okay I’ve been meaning to ask bro. Were you always a chick?” Lee asked her.

“I was as much a boy as you were when we first met Lee.” Morgan told him with a sigh. “Want to tell me what brought this up now?”

“It just seems that you’re awfully comfortable in that female body bro. Did you always want to be a girl?” Mike asked her as they rode deeper into the valley.

“If you promise to keep this between us. I’ll tell you what’s going on?” Morgan asked of them as she pulled her horse to a halt.

“I won’t say shit.” Lee told her.

“The same here, Morgan.” Mike said as he pulled to a stop next to her. Tony just nodded his head in agreement.

“Before this all started I never talked about this with anyone. I’ve always known that I had a female’s soul, but I was happy with the way I was born. I never thought about transitioning. I didn’t see any reason to make the outside fit the inside. I know that sounds crazy but in my mind it made sense. You see unlike most families mine are pure academics. To my parents the idea of there being a supreme god ruling everything humans do is just that. An idea. One that we’re not meant to prove or disprove. In my own spiritual search, I found that the Taoist belief to more in line with my thinking. You know the natural order of the universe. The way I saw it was simple. If the universe decided that I should have the body of a man and the soul of a woman. Then who was I to change things.” Morgan explained for them.

“Okay I can see that. But that doesn’t explain why you’re so comfortable in a female body now, Morgan. Me and Mike have both met a few transgender people at the college. None them are any where near as comfortable in their bodies as you are.” Tony pointed out with a chuckle.

“I’m getting to that Tony. When this all started I had to make a choice. Gain the power to protect my family or abandon them for the sake of my male pride.” Morgan told him as she put her left hand on the pommel of Stormbringer. “In my mind it wasn’t a hard choice to make. If the cost for having that power means I have to become a girl. Then that’s a price I’m willing to pay. Not that there’s anything I can do to change matters. It’s the natural order of the universe.”

“I think I’m beginning to get the picture now.” Tony chuckled. “You’re one of those rare people that don’t get bent out of shape over things they can’t control.”

“In the words of a Taoist philosopher ‘she is water’.” Mike grinned. “The bending reed in the wind and all that shit.”

“Whatever guys. Though I’m no pacifist. You come after me and I’ll end your ass.” Morgan sneered. “That whole turn the other cheek crap is for the birds.”

“I hate to say this, but Morgan is not water, but Chaos incarnated. She has taken to her new people’s true attitude in more ways than one.” Lee chuckled.

“I hope that you’re not plaining on bringing one of the ancient Chaos Lords back to this world Morgan as your patron.” Tony said as he thought about his own research into that ancient race. Research that he was able to expand on thanks to the library in Avalon. “I don’t think this world could handle a third coming of Chaos.”

“What are you talking about Tony?” Morgan asked him bluntly.

“According to my research into the Melnibonéans there is an ancient prophecy concerning the return of the Chaos Lords. Before you ask I only started my research a few weeks ago. Anyway, as I was saying. The Melnibonéans believed that should just one of the Lords of Chaos ever return the world would descend into another world war. One that will only end with the return of the White Lords of Law and a total reconstruction of the world.” Tony didn’t think it was a good idea to tell her that in his research he found that it would be a cursed Princess of the Royal bloodline that would bring about that world ending event.

“Then it’s a good thing that I’m not about to summon some ancient demon or god. No matter how FUBAR things get.” Morgan shivered. “I have no desire to get chummy with a vile fiend from hell or dimwitted heavenly being with too much power.”

“Good to hear, bro. By the way why did you leave your armor back in Avalon?” Mike asked her with a friendly smile. “Not that I’m not digging on the new look.”

“As protective as that armor is it’s not practical. Give me something lightweight and flexible over heavy and rigged any day.” Morgan told him as she ran her hand over the leather pants, shirt, and jacket she currently wore. “Besides this wyvern hide leather is just as strong as my plate armor. Though I’m still trying to figure out how that tanner was able to work such heavy hides into something wearable.”

“Morgan this is one time that you need to just accept things as they are bro.” Lee snorted as he ran his own hand of his jacket and pants. “There are just somethings that happen on this island that can only be explained by the use of magic.”

“No shit. As much as I hate to say this, these leather jackets and pants are better than the Kavaler vests I used in the sandbox.” Mike grunted. “And a hell of a lot more comfortable to wear for any length of time.”

“I can only agree with what Mike said. We know a few thing about them. First is that these leathers will stop a broadhead arrow pointblank range. They’re completely cut and puncture resistant against any type of bladed weapon. And if that tanner wasn’t bosting. Resistant against fire attacks.” Tony chuckled as he rolled his shoulders. “I do miss my M-four though. I liked the reach it gave me in a fight.”

“Yah I can see how you two would want more modern weapons like handguns and assault rifles.” Morgan sighed as she looked down at Stormbringer. “But I got a feeling that gunpowder won’t work on this island. Don’t ask me why. It’s just a feeling.”

Morgan spurred her horse into moving again. “Time’s a wasting guys. I figure we got maybe three to four hours before we loss the light. I want to find some place that more defensible to hold up for the nightfall.”

“Something you want to tell us Morgan. Like what else might be in these mountains.” Lee demanded of his friend as he spurred his horse to catch up.

“Until now we’ve traveled through mostly human control areas of this island. We’re now in the mountains. This whole area is one massive unknow. If what that hamadryad said is even halfway true. There is something in these mountains far worse than just a bunch of wild pigs, and the other natural predators.” Morgan shuttered. “She called them the Dark Ones.”

“I got a question to ask Morgan. How did you know that hamadryad’s language?” Lee asked her as they rode.

“What do you mean? We were speaking English.” Morgan countered.

“Um… No, you weren’t Morgan. I don’t know what language you two were speaking but it sure as hell wasn’t English.” Mike grunted. “Or any human language.”

‘You were conversing in the language of the ancient Melniboné kings, emperors, and their most powerful mages Morgan. It is known the High Speech or High Tongue and is the language of magic.’ The phantom voice of Stormbringer was one that Morgan had gotten used to hearing in her head.

“Guys. I think I know what they were speaking.” Tony told them all. “One of the books that I was read in the library during my research into the Melnibonéans talked about the High Speech or High Tongue of their kings. It was the language of magic. If I had to make a guess. That’s what the two of them were using.”

“Okay I’ll give you that partner. The question I have is how did she learn it?” Mike went on to point out the one glaring problem in that theory. “She wasn’t born a Melnibonéan after all. I mean think about it Tony.”

“This is what I’ve been able to piece together so far Tony. First off Morgan and her father are direct descendants of Author Pendragon. Because of that when Morgan read those runes on her sword and scabbard she somehow set in motion an ancient curse. That curse led to her, and her mother being transformed into their current forms. The ancient Emerald Queen Morgana Le Fey and the next Immortal Champion of Balance. Now this is only conjecture, but their new forms come with natural skills and knowledge a race memory if you will. For her mother that racial memory translates into an unparalleled affinity for ancient fey and elemental magics. For Morgan that racial memory is combat skill based.” As tony explained this last part Morgan jumped on what he had left out before the others realized what was going on.

“What about the Melnibonéan magic, Tony?” She asked sharply. “Weren’t they also natural magic users of some type?”

“The Melnibonéans used a type of ritual elemental spirit based magic gained through ancient blood pacts with the Beast Lords, Demon Lords, Chaos Lords, White Lords, and the ancient Elemental Kings. Though for you to use that type of magic you would need one of the twelve great seals.” Tony knew that was a bald faced lie, but he had to try his best to shift Morgan away from the idea of using her natural magic. She was already too powerful in his mind. “Though from your appearance. There are only two seals you’ll be able to use. They’re the Ring of Kings and Queen’s Tiara.”

‘Your friend is telling you only half of the truth Morgan. You don’t need one of the ancient seals to call upon your powers over elementals and beasts. You’ll only be able to call upon the lowest of elements and beasts without one of the seals. As for the Elemental Kings, Demons, White, and Chaos Lords they will remain forever out of your gasp until you possess one of the great seals.’

‘Okay then where do I find one of these seals?’ Morgan asked of Stormbringer.

‘There is only one place. The royal treasury deep in the heart of Imrryr. Only there will you find the twelve great deals. The greatest of which is the Ruby Throne which once held the Bright Emperors.’

“Yo Morgan you there bro?” Lee asked her as he wave a hand in front of her face.

“What? Oh yeah. Sorry about that Tony. Didn’t mean to zone out like that on you.” Morgan told the three of them as she blushed.

“What had you zoning out like kiddo?” Mike asked her with real concern.

“Um… I know this is going to sound crazy guys.” Morgan started off with as she looked down at her hand on the pommel of Stormbringer. “But when Tony mentioned the Ring of Kings and Queen’s Tiara I had this sudden vision of them setting on this massive blood red ruby throne.”

“Oh shit.” Tony gasped as he fought to stay on his horse.

“Yo what’s your deal Tony. Can’t you stay on a horse for one day?” Lee snarked.

“Shut your hole, boy!” Mike snapped. “Tony please tell me that Morgan fading out like that wasn’t some sort of some race memory flash back?”

“Let’s just say that I really don’t want to find out.” Tony told him honestly.

“Tony what is it about that ring, tiara, and throne that has you so freaked out?” Morgan asked him kindly. “Could they be the Royal Seals of Magic?”

“Yes they are you little shit.” Tony told her with a sigh before turning serious. “Listen to me Morgan. Those three items need to stay lost. Stormbringer’s one thing but those items are flat out too damned powerful for anyone to own.”

“Sure Tony. I hear ya man. The Royal Seals need to stay lost.” Morgan said sincerely. While never intending to keep her word. She swore to herself that she would have the either ring or tiara above all else. If not both.

“Morgan please leave those things alone. I’m begging you.” Tony begged.

“Why should I turn my back on something so powerful?” Morgan snarled then turned on Tony. “Better yet. Why should I turn my back on what is by all rights mine as the last of my new race?”

“You want the truth Morgan fine I’ll give it to you. As you are now you can call on all manner of low leave elementals, spirits, and demons. The second you have one of the Royal Seals you can call on their Kings, and Lords. Beings that need to stay locked in the eternal depths of time. They’re not beings to be fucked with.” Tony warned her. “Just one Elemental King, Demon Lord, Lord of Chaos, or Law will break down the barrier that holds off Chaos. The world that we know will be completely destroyed in the following battle between Law and Chaos. In its place, a new world will be created by the Cosmic Balance.”

“Okay what the hell does that even mean Tony?” Mike demanded.

“It’s like this guys. Please bear with me as I explain what I know and understand. Our world, the one we come from was forged when the last Emperor of Melniboné summoned the chaos lord Arioch to this plane. In doing so it led to the tearing down of the barrier that had held Chaos off for centuries. That was the world of the Melnibonéans, and it was destroyed in a giant battle between Law and Chaos. In its place, our world was created by the Cosmic Balance. Only the island of Melniboné survived.” Tony explained for them all slowly. “Morgan you know crazy that idea you had about the islands of Avalon and Melniboné being one in the same. Well, it’s right on the money. Everything I’ve found in my research backs up your theory.”

“How the hell could there be a record covering the history of a dead world?” Lee demanded of the older man.

“Like I said I know it sounds crazy. But I got a theory on how that happened.” Tony said as he pointed towards Stormbringer. “Right, there is the author for all the records the library holds on that ancient world.”

“How can a sword write? Come on Tony. Have you been smoking the locoweed again?” Mike asked his friend and fellow grad student bluntly.

“I’m not stoned you jack hole. Like I said it’s only a theory. It also explains how that sword has been found in every historical period of note. The falls of Greece, Rome, Egypt, and just about every other great Empire in our history. In every historical account there is at least one reference to a warrior wielding a cursed Black Sword. There is only one Empire that has fallen without the appearance of the Black Swords. That was the Mongol Empire.” Tony told them all.

“Tony I got a question. How is it that you know so much about all this? I’m talking about Stormbringer, Melnibonéans, fallen Empires, and everything else you’ve mentioned in the last hour.” Lee asked him as Morgan nodded. “I know that none of what you’ve talked about is part of the King Author legends. So, what gives?”

“Oh man. You mean to tell us that your parents never told you what our doctoral dissertations are on?” Mike crowed as Tony laughed.

“Okay guys time for a little background on me and my compadre. We both earned our Master’s degrees in archeology at Perdue. That’s where we first met. When it came time to go for our doctors degree we both knew that Avalon was the place to be. Though we never expected to work under your parents.” Tony chuckled.

“What does that have to do with your dissertations?” Lee asked them.

“We did get a little sidetracked from our actual lines of study. You see my actual field of study is ancient legends. While Mike’s is the study of legendary weapons. When we both found out that your parents were brought in to help with identifying that sword on Morgan’s hip. We just had to get on their staff.” Tony explained. “Any way the fundamental theory behind my dissertation is the influences of certain legends on the writings of fantasy authors.”

“I think I get it. You picked the legends surrounding the Multiverse. Now that you have access to a library with actual research materials on the subject. You went for the biggest mystery in the haystack.” Lee chuckled as Morgan sighed.

“He did more than that Lee. The two greatest mysteries for all archeologists are the legends of King Author’s Avalon and Elric’s Melniboné.” Morgan told his friend. “The downside to Tony’s research has always been the lack of proof for any researcher on the existence of Melniboné and Avalon.”

“Yah I can see that. I mean to most people the two islands are nothing more than the wine induced fantasy dreams of the drunken bards.” Lee snarked.

“Worse than that Lee. Nine out of ten modern Professors of Archeology won’t even consider the ancient legends as being founded on truth. It’s only because of the work done by mavericks like your parents, Professor Henry Jones the fourth at Marshall, and Professor Hallie Thorn Pappadimos of Ohio State that any of the old legends are even being given marginal credence now.” Mike told the two younger members of their little party. “Even my work as a medieval weapons and armor expert is considered as nothing more than a side study of true archeology.”

“Damn that just sucks. What’s the deal with those old goats?” Lee grumbled.

“The world of academia is based on provable facts kiddo. If you can’t prove your theories then you’re nothing more than a hack.” Tony told him bluntly. “That is the sad truth of any grad students life.”

“I know of at least four grad students that are still working on their thesis papers after more than five years. In one case the student in question has been busting their ass for almost seven years now. All of them in the field of archeology. I won’t even go into the number of people in the other sciences in that situation. There’s one guy at the DC office of the Jeffersonian who has been after his Doctorate for the last ten years. Though his field is Forensic Anthropology. It takes real out of the box thinking in that field to make groundbreaking discoveries.” Mike told them all while a small frown graced his face. “We had a chance to help him last year on a criminal case. I thought I’d left that kind of shit behind me.”

“What happened bro?” Lee asked him.

“The guy was working on a murder case at a historical armament museum. The body was found hacked to pieces. The problem was they couldn’t really identify the murder weapon from among the thousands of heavy bladed weapons. Then again not too many people can recognize or even swing a Scottish hawkbill blade halberd.” Mike told them. “It’s one of those rare, bladed polearms that rarely saw actual use in combat. It was used mostly for public executions.”

“Woah that’s just wrong.” Lee grunted.

“Hold up guys.” Morgan interrupted them as she dropped from her horse’s saddle drawing Stormbringer. “I think we got a problem.”

“What’s up Kid?” Mike asked as he looked around them at the wood line. “Oh shit!”

“Are those what I think they are?” Lee asked as he too grabbed the hilt of his sword and dismounted. “Please tell me that I’m seeing things?”

“You’re not seeing things Lee. Those are actual Orcs.” Tony said as he and Mike joined them on the ground drawing their own swords. “We’re outnumber by at least four to one. The way I see it we can do one of two things.”

Before Tony could finish his sentence the orcs charged them. Morgan cut down two of them before Lee, Mike, or Tony could even raise their swords. While her friends were doing their best to hold off the monsters Morgan was killing them wholesale. To Mike, Tony, and Lee she had become a dancing vision of death. Her cries of battle unsettled the two combat veterans in ways they had not felt in years.

“BLOOD! BLOOD AND SOULS I GIVE TO YOU STORMBRINGER!” With each orc Morgan killed the greater her bloodlust grew. “FINALLY! A BATTLE WORTHY OF MY SKILLS!”

“Shit guys! Stay away from her!” Mike warned Lee and Tony over the den of combat.

“What the fuck is wrong with her?” Lee shouted.

“She’s battle crazed, Lee.” Tony grunt as he blocked an overhead attack from an orc. “These things are just strong enough to push her skills.”

“I was afraid of this happening.” Mike snarled as he slashed at the orc in front of him. The back and forth melee with the orc was pushing his skills with a sword. Mike swore as his sword bounce of the orc. “Damn what are these things made of?”

“Flesh and blood only toughened to the point of stupidity bro!” Lee called out as he slashed the orc in front of him. “Aim for the joints, eyes, and neck! Those are their only weak points. They may have skin tough as leather armor, but they’re not cut resistant. Not by a long shot.”

To prove his point Lee dropped down into a crotch as he slashed through the orcs right knee. As the orc fell Lee spun into a standing position with his sword coming down across the creatures neck. “Take out their legs and they’ll fall.”

Fallowing his example, the two men quickly killed the orcs they faced. All three men turned to look at the now blood and gore covered Morgan. She stood in the center of a sea of orc bodies heaving. They could tell that she was briming over with the stolen vitality of her enemies. The moan of pleasure that escaped her lips confirmed that Morgan was just barely in control of herself. “Oh, such sweet pleasurable power. How wonderous. I must feel this way again.”

“Morgan! Get a hold of yourself kid!” Mike shouted as he held Lee back. “Fight it kid. Come back to us! Don’t let that damned blade control you!”

“With such power I can control the world.” Morgan whispered as she held out her right. With a whispered incantation a small ball of bluest flame formed. “Or I can destroy totally. What could I do with a Royal Seal?”

“Morgan fight it! Don’t give in. Come on you can do it. Come back to us.” Tony snarled as he helped to hold Lee back from their friend.

“Come on Morgan! Shake it off dude! You’re better than this!” Lee shouted.

At the sound of her friends plea Morgan shock her head. “What the hell?”

“Shit that was close. We thought we had lost you to that sword.” Tony told her.

“I won’t lie guys. It was close. I can still feel the power of the orcs.” She told them as she sheathed a glowing Stormbringer. “I forget that this sword is both a curse and a blessing. At least now I know how much power it takes to push me close to the edge of insanity. I’ll be on my guard from now on.”

“You don’t have to be on your guard bro. You just need to remember the power of that sword comes at a cost to your soul.” Mike warned her. “Look Morgan of all the great Holy Swords. Stormbringer is without a doubt the most powerful of them all. It is the only one that can actually slay a god. Trust me I’ve research every legend concerning the Holy Swords. The power that sword bestows comes with a cost that most never realize until it is too late.”

“What I want to know is where did that ball of flame come from?” Lee asked.

“That was just a small amount of her race’s natural ability to use elemental magic. If she had one of the Royal Seals. Morgan could produce atomic level explosions, massive tidal waves, cat five hurricanes, super volcanic eruptions, all with nothing more than a thought.” Tony told him bluntly. “That doesn’t even take into account the demons and spirits she could call forth with a simple incantation.”

“Shit. Talk about crazy.” Lee whispered.

“Trust me Lee. You should try it from my end.” Morgan said as she shook her head. “I can see the ley lines now and it is driving me crazy.”

“Say Morgan I got to ask you a question. Back there when we ran into the hamadryad she said something that upset you. What did she say?” Lee asked her.

“Let’s just say that I got an idea of where we need to look for Lisa.” Morgan told them all with a snarl. “When we get there we’ll need to be ready for a real fight. She also told me where to find allies for that fight. Only she called them weapons.”

“Who are these allies Morgan?” Mike asked not liking where her chain of thoughts were going. He could tell by the look in Tony’s eyes that he didn’t like it either.

“Morgan according to legends the Melnibonéans’ greatest ally were dragons. Please tell me that you’re not thinking of waking their dragons.” Tony was almost begging as her to not to confirm his fears.

“Push comes to shove. You can bet your ass I’ll call on my dragon kin. Like the saving goes boys.” Morgan sneered as she remounted her horse. “All’s fair in love and war. That includes the use of nukes.”

“Damn girl. That’s just not right. Not right at all.” Lee chuckled as he remounted.

“Morgan you might not have born a girl, but you sure think like one.” Mike snarked as he too remounted.

“You might be bad now, but I sure as hell don’t want to cross you in about ten years.” Tony laughed as he mounted his horse. “There should be a clearing just off the trail not too much further on. I say we find it and make camp for the night.”

“How can you be so sure of that Tony?” Morgan asked him.

“Even in this world the rules of trail construct remain the same. Campsites are needed about every fifty to sixty miles to allow breaks for horses.” Tony explained. “They’re usually place within a day’s ride of each other.”

“Seeing as how close to sunset it has gotten. The next one should be within the next mile or two.” Morgan surmised and spurred her horse forward.

Library, Tower of Sagas, Avalon

Professors Katherine and David Pendragon sat across the table from their fellow Professor Dale Grant. Before them on the table was a map of the island. Within easy reach of Dale’s hands was an empty clay teacup, slide rule, tape measure, pencil, and a stack of paper. Paper that was filled with hundreds of calculations. David and Katherine could tell that Dale was near his limits. Professor Dale Grant had pushed the limits of his mathematical skills.

“Okay Dale what do you have for us? You called this little get together.” Katherine asked him kindly. “What’s with the map by the way?”

“This is the oldest map in the library Kathy. It actually predates the mist.” Dale told them both with a small smile.

“Wait a damned minute Dale. I thought that nothing predated the mist. Where the hell did this thing come from?” David asked sharply.

“I asked Grand Mistress Silver Labyrinth that every question. It seems it has been here since the founding of Avalon. That mist didn’t appear until Morgana Le Fey died hundreds of years ago. That happened shortly after Author was lied to rest somewhere in those mountains.” Dale told them both with a growing smile as he placed his finger on the northern coastline of the island. “The map itself is not the real find though. The real find is here. There are three cities on this northern coast.”

“Did you say three cities?” Katherine asked him.

“I did. One of which has to be Morgan’s legendary Dreaming City of Imrryr. Now if that is the case then these other two have to be the fabled Aos Sídhe capital cities of Angelward and Frosthorn.” Dale told them excitedly.

“Hold on here Dale. Up until yesterday morning you were fighting Morgan’s theory about this island. Now you’ve jumped on the bandwagon and are now drinking the cool aide. What gives?” Katherine asked him with real suspicion.

“Kathy I would have still been fighting the idea if not for this map. I’ve spent the enter morning running the numbers.” Dale said as he waved the stack of papers. “It doesn’t matter how many times I’ve ran them. The answer is the same. This island is the size of Japan’s main island of Honshu.”

“Okay what are you saying Dale?” David asked the exited professor.

“David think about it!” Dale huffed. “In this age of GPS, weather, intelligence gathering, and exploration satellites, every square inch of the earth has been scanned and mapped. Do you honestly believe that an island of this size would go unnoticed? I’ll give the answer. Hell no. With all of the possible untapped natural resources every nation in the world would be clambering over each other to get their flag planted on those mountains. Not to mention the corporate raiders. Big Oil would have test rigs drilling on every square acre.”

“He’s right David. There is no way an island of this size could go unnoticed in our world. It has to be in an other universe.” Katherine said with a sigh as David just nodded his head. “It also explains one other fact we’ve been avoiding.”

“You mean the one where magic is real in this place?” David asked with a good deal of snark. “Before you say it don’t. We’ve all seen enough to know that its real.”

“About damned time you accepted what was right in front of your face.” Katherine sighed in exasperation. “Dale now that you’ve proven Morgan’s theory. What else have you discovered for us? Like a way off this island.”

“Sadly, that’s not going to happen. We’re here to stay Kathy. Though I do have a possible theory for yours and David’s changes.” He told them as he grabbed a three inch thick book. “This is the White Sage Chronicles.”

“Where the hell did you get your hands on that?” David asked as he snatched the book from Dale’s hands. “It wasn’t here during the original reorganization. I know. I searched the whole damned place for it.”

“You can thank that worthless piece of shit Grahone for that David. He had sixteen of the books we were looking for in his lab. It took Grand Mistress Silver Labyrinth and Grand Master Idatior to get anything back in the library. They’ve been raising hell with every one of these so called sages who have been hording research materials in their labs. A few of them got visits from the Gray Wolves.” Dale chuckled. “It was in one of those labs where they found this map.”

“Well shit.” David huffed then leaned in so that only Katherine and Dale would hear his next words. “Did any of the Gary Wolf knights see this map?”

“Not to my knowledge. Why?” David asked him.

“Hide it. Because if our dear Dame Eleanor of the Light, Grand Marshall for the Gray Wolf Knights learns of this map. She’ll lead a force into to those mountains to find King Author’s tomb. That woman has a major hate for anything concern the man. The only person she wants associated with Avalon is Morgana Le Fey. Their Emerald Queen. She would also find a reason for attacking the Elven Capitals.” David warned his wife and friend. “Thank god Morgan and the boys slipped out before she or any of her knights realized they were gone.”

“Let me guess. She doesn’t want anyone going into those mountains unless they’re searching for the Emerald Queen.” Dale snorted.

“Give that man a cigar. Listen up you two. There’s a power struggle going on right now. It’s between the Order of the Bear and the Gray Wolf Knights. On one side we got academics while on the other is a militant faction of the military bent on conquest. The kick in the head. We’re stuck in the middle.” David told them as he looked over at his wife. “Thanks to Katherine’s new look. The warmongers are gaining traction with the people. Dame Eleanor’s faction has been pushing her as their Emerald Queen returned to lead them in some kind of Holy War of conquest.”

“How and where did you hear this David?” Katherine asked as she looked around. She knew that they were normally watched by at least one member of the Order of the Bear. To find that they were alone was strange.

“It’s amazing what you’ll learn in the local marketplace, Kathy. If you’re willing to pay.” David chuckled as he rubbed his fingers together.

“What did you use to pay for that info?” Dale asked him. “The last time I looked we only had US bills and coins.”

“Haven’t you noticed how their coins are the same size as a US quarter. They might be made of copper, silver, and gold, but they’re the same size.” David told him with a chuckle as he pulled a small bag from his belt. With a slight shack they all heard the jingle of coins. “Yes I know what you’re thinking. Where did I get that much coinage with no way of earning it. The answer is simple. I used magic.”

“You did what?” Katherine asked in surprise. “You actually use magic?”

“Well, no not really. I actually used alchemy. Watch.” David said as he held out his hand over the empty clay teacup. “Oneyay ollarday oldgay oincay.”

When he finish his chant a stack of six gold one dollar US gold coins now stood in place of the heavy clay teacup. Both Dale and Katherine could only stare in amazement at what David had just done. Dale reached over and picked up one of the coins. After turning it over in his fingers he bit the coin. “It’s real. But how? Merlin wasn’t an alchemist. Nothing in the legends said he ever cracked the riddle.”

“Not true old friend. In Lord Gerardus, Merlin’s History Of Arcane Sorcery, there is an obscure reference to Merlin’s study of alchemy. It took me digging into the Codex Of Answers to find his actual work. Merlin cracked the riddle of transmutation just before Author’s death.” David told them. “It may appear to be magic, but it is based on solid chemical and material science.”

“With our educational background it was nothing for your to crack the code.” Katherine surmised with a light chuckle. “How long does the change last?”

“It’s permanent. At least until I change it again.” David chuckled. “The funny thing about this coin. Here it is worth a thousand times more than what it is back home. Hell a silver dollar is worth a hundred times than it is back home.”

“What do you mean?” Katherine asked as she tried to do the calculations.

“Simple love. A silver coin is worth a hundred copper coins. A hundred silver coins equals a gold coin. In this world everything is based off a one-hundred to one system. With copper being the cheapest metal. The only thing worth more than gold is mithril. It takes a thousand gold coins to make on mithril coin.” David told them both with true respect for the mythical metal.

“David are you saying moon silver is real?” Dale asked in surprise.

“It and several other mythical metals Dale.” David told him with a whisper. “And I think I have finally cracked the mystery of Stormbringer’s construction.”

-----tbc-----

up
315 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

bloodlust

always a problem for a Champion - the ability to go berserk and kill anything but at the cost of one's soul

DogSig.png

Trouble

Gonna be some major fight soon.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

8000 words

Robyn B's picture

Jess,

As usual 8K words are never enough to sate my desire to read your writings.
I struggle to keep my impatience under control while reading your stories.

Robyn B
Sydney

They are figuring out this

Beoca's picture

They are figuring out this world and their place in it. But for all the concern shown, Morgan is in an even worse state than the others realize.

Nuke

Hmm, it looks like Morgan is a ticking tactical nuke waiting to pop. And if she gets her hands on a great seal then we're talking armageddon here. O.O Let"s hope that she'll learn to control Stormbringer.
And concerning the body in the historical armament museum: either someone stole a valuable weapon to sell it for big bucks or someone was hunting for another holy sword. In which case things could get more interesting.

Thx for another great chapter^^

Black Sword 6

Amazing detail, due to research combining with extrapolation and imagination- I love this story! Thank you, Jessie Wolf.

Yuck, saying “bro”

I dislike the word “bro” in all cases, but when aimed at a woman (Morgan) I truly HATE the word.

Anne Margarete

Oh, brother, what a mess!

Jamie Lee's picture

Storm told Morgan the location of the seals, refuting what Tony said. Tony is the only one who realizes what will happen if Morgan gets those seals.

The Order of the Bear are at odds with the Gray Wlof knights, which means they could have a go at each other. And Eleanor wants Kathy to be the Emerald Queen.

All the while Morgan and the boys are trying to find Lisa. And, besides the Orcs they fought, they may have to deal with the Dark Fay. Plus, Morgan is having her own personal battle to not allow Storm to completely take her over.

Yep, the toilet is about to flush and it's going to be one big mess. It will be interesting to see who's left standing when the dust settles.

Others have feelings too.