Personaecide

Printer-friendly version

This is a bit of flash fiction for a story that's been floating around my head for years. It all started with the idea of what it might be like if science found a way of making it possible for more than one mind to exist in the same brain. I haven't been able to get any further than what I have below, but I thought maybe some people might like taking a peak at this tiny corner of a futuristic universe that's been developing in my head.

Personaecide
Copyright 2021 by Heather Rose Brown

=-=-=

I woke to the sight of a familiar face only inches away from me. It took me a few seconds to realize I was looking at my own reflection. My eyes looked subtly different, and my lips were an odd color. I nearly jumped out of my skin when my reflection said, "Is that you, Mr Andrews?"

"Umm ... yes. Who are you?"

"Don't you remember?"

Even though I was hearing my own voice, something about it seemed off. "I'm feeling a bit fuzzy. Can you give me a hint?"

"I'm Tammy. Me and my dad had integrated with you last night after the accident."

A few memories started coming back to me. "Oh yeah. I'd just finished signing up as host for the Personae Integration Program when someone told me my services were needed to help out the governor and his daughter."

"Thanks for helping us, and sorry about the makeup."

It was then I noticed the weight on my lashes when I blinked at my reflection. "Ah, that explains why I had trouble recognizing myself." Not really sure what to say next to someone who had used my own hands to put makeup on my face, I decided to try changing the subject. "So did your father wake up yet?"

"I was just wondering about that before you woke up. I could feel you sleeping, but I couldn't feel Dad at all. You have any idea why?"

Before I could answer her, a couple of peace officers appeared in the reflection behind me. I was then grabbed by the shoulders, pulled away from the mirror, and forced down onto any icy toilet seat. One of the officers shoved something on top of my head, while the other said, "Are you Charles Matthew Andrews?"

"I tried remembering the rules for identifying yourself when you were sharing your brain with others, but was having trouble thinking of anything, so I just said, "Yeah."

"Mr Andrews, you are being formally charged with the personaecide of Mayor Franklin. You will be held in custody of the State Mind until a trial can be scheduled and the charges can be either confirmed or refuted."

The silent officer tapped the thing on my forehead, and my skull started vibrating.

"Wait a minute!" I shouted when I realized what was happening. "You can't do this to me. I've got rights! I--"

Nothing else would come out of my mouth. I didn't seem to be connected to my mouth ... or any other part of my body.

up
45 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

looks interesting

I hope you can continue it

DogSig.png

I have some ideas ...

... of what might happen while Charles is being held in the State Mind, and how he might escape, and a couple of other ideas, but I haven't been able to get anything to gel yet. I was hoping, if I got some feedback on what I've written, I might get a spark, and things could possibly fall into place.

A good start..

Could it be that the daughter frames the "donor" for the murder of dad and gets away with a new body? The the previous owner/donor escapes and then embarks on a quest to recover their original body before the daughter irreversibly feminizes it? Sorry I was on a roll!
Cindy.

Cindy Jenkins

Oh!

I hadn't thought of the daughter framing the donor. That's def an interesting angle. Thank you! :)