The Haircut

Printer-friendly version

The Haircut
Copyright 2021 by Heather Rose Brown

This is a vignette of what might have happened if one of my early childhood battles over getting a summer haircut had gone a little differently.

=-=-=

The warmth on my back faded when my mom's shadow blocked the late morning sunlight shining through the kitchen window. I cringed at the familiar snick of a plastic guard sliding into place on a hair clipper. My neck prickled when the dreaded buzzing started behind my right ear.

"Relax," Mom said as she patted my shoulder.

"Sorry," I said while trying to not whimper.

There was a hint of worry in my mom's voice when she asked, "Are you crying?"

I squeezed my eyes shut and shook my head, then wiped my cheek with the fluffy bath towel that covered me from neck to knees.

The buzzing stopped. A moment later, something was placed on the wooden table beside me with a heavy clack. Mom's voice came around the other side of me as she asked, "Why are you getting so upset over a haircut?"

I caught a faint whiff of something clean and flowery when I took a deep breath. I held that breath while waiting for my emotions to settle, then sighed and opened my eyes.

Mom was crouched in front of me. She dabbed at my other cheek with the edge of the towel. "What's wrong, honey?" she asked as her forehead wrinkled with confusion.

I rested my hand back in my lap and said, "I just ... I don't like gettin' it cut."

My mom was quiet for what felt like forever. Eventually, she leaned closer and asked, "Do you really want to be the only boy in the neighborhood without a nice, cool haircut this summer?"

I glared through the hair hanging over my eyes as I said, "I ain't a ..." Past arguments that had started with those words tumbled through my memory before I could finish my sentence. After a few moments, a new thought popped into my head. "Not all boys get their hair cut."

Mom frowned and rubbed her chin for a couple of seconds, then asked, "Are you sure you want your neck to be all sweaty from your hair hanging down on it?"

I chewed on my bottom lip as I thought, then said, "I could ... maybe ... I dunno."

She lifted the part of the towel covering my legs, reached for my hand, then gave it a soft squeeze as she asked, "What were you about to say?"

"I was thinkin' maybe I could ... wear a ponytail?"

"Hrmm," she said as she let go of my hand. "I suppose that could help," she added as she reached over my shoulder. There was a gentle tug at the back of my head as she ran her fingers through my hair. "It'd still be hanging down on your neck, though."

"Not if it's up high."

"You mean ... like a girl's ponytail?" she asked as her brows rose.

"Why can't boys, or anybody else, wear their hair like that?"

"Because ..." Mom's mouth hung open for a second, then snapped shut. She stared at me for what felt like even longer than forever, then said, "I'll still need to give you a trim. Can't have you running around with a shaggy mop all summer."

The anger, frustration, and sadness I'd been trying to shove down all morning started bubbling up again. "Please," I whispered around the lump in my throat, "no more haircuts."

My mom shook her head as she said, "I didn't say a haircut. I said a trim."

I blinked a few times, then asked, "How's a trim different?"

"A trim just snips off the ends of your hair, so it's all nice and even."

"And ... pretty?" I asked in a quiet voice. My heart started thumping in my chest when Mom stared at me again.

"Is that what you really want?" she asked.

I gulped, then nodded.

"Okay pumpkin," she said as she stroked the back of my head.

"Can I wear a scrunchie?"

My mom tilted her head, then smiled and said, "I don't see why not."

Feeling braver than I'd ever felt before, I asked, "Can I wear makeup?"

Mom frowned again, but there was a twinkle in her eyes as she said, "You're not quite old enough for makeup, but ... let's see how you feel about your hair after a few days. If you're still okay with it by then, we can talk about where you want to go from there."

up
216 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

...for helping me start my day with a smile!

Keleigh

You're welcome!

I'm so glad this story brought a smile to your day. :D

*blushing*

Thank you so much!

*smiling and hugging back*

Cute story

Donna T's picture

I was glad mom allowed the pony tail... and was concerned the kid began asking about wearing makeup. Nice story.

Regards, Dee

Donna

Give a kid an inch ...

... and they may try taking a mile! Fortunately, the mom in this story knows where to draw the line when it comes to age appropriate stuff, even if she's willing to consider changes to rules related to gender expectations.

very cool

I wish it had gone that way for you

DogSig.png

Thank you!

I kinda wish things coulda gone that way too. Still ... even though it took a while, I get to wear my hair long as I want now. :)

This story ...

... is a definite "Keeper".

Thank you!

I'm glad you see this story as a keeper. :)

The Essense

of a great short story writer is the ability to paint a scene through inference with as few words as possible. As soon as that horrific attachment clicked into place I flinched as I was transported sixty plus years to the past, with eight year old me sitting on the metal stool of impending doom once again. I'll be playing the 'if only' game the rest of the day! Thanks so much for the vignette.

*curtseying*

Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! :)

M Is for the Many. . ..

Mothers are a wonderful invention. Right up there with fire and the wheel.

Fire can be horrific. Wheels don't always take us to good places.

Thank you for reminding me what I loved about my mother and what I love about the mother of my children.

You're writing just keeps getting better!

Jill

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Perfect!

Donna T's picture

I enjoyed your reply; nicely acerbic! "Wheels don't always take us to good places" is classic.
(And I liked the story!)

Regards,
Dee

Donna

My mom ...

... was pretty amazing in a lot of ways. No, she wasn't perfect. But she did always try to do better, and even apologized when she made mistakes, which I always admired. At the time I was the age of the kid in this story, almost nothing was known about transgender people. Given that lack of info, I think Mom managed things pretty well. Even though she wouldn't let me dress like a girl, she never tried to change the way I acted. I know some folk didn't even have that, so I consider myself pretty lucky.

Lucky

RobertaME's picture

I'd say that you were lucky. My mother knew about me from age 3. Her solution was to not let me do anything or act in any way effeminate... or else. She regrets it now and I know that she truly loves her "baby girl". (I'm the younger of two) For my part, I try not to dwell on the past. I wouldn't change it, even if I could though, because my past brought me to my present... which by all objective measures is a dream come true.

I loved the story though! It was something I always wanted for myself and envied about my older sister... she was allowed to have such beautiful long hair. ::sigh:: Oh well. At least now I get to have the beautiful long hair while hers is greying! ::giggle::

Thanks for the beautiful story, Heather! It brightened my morning!

I know the past...

...can't be changed, but I still daydream about what coulda happened sometimes. I was pretty jealous of my sisters too! It took me a while before I found out how I was different from them, but I still felt jealous. But now I get to look the way that I want now, which I'm glad for. I'm also glad you enjoyed this story!

{{{huggles}}}

Wonderful Mother

So many of us can relate to a story like this. An open conversation and a supportive parent who accepts femininity in a boy.

Hiker_JPG_1.jpg

I really hope ...

... more parents will be able to be as supportive as the mom in this story. Knowing what to do when you think your kid might be transgender sounds difficult, but there seems to be more resources than there used to be, which I hope will help.