Out of the Mud

Printer-friendly version

This is a very short story I'd written a while ago that just started with the image of two odd figures climbing out of a mud hole. I began theorizing what they would be doing there and where they were going next. The following story is the result of that bit of daydreaming. :)

Out of the Mud

Copyright 2007 by Heather Rose Brown

Out of the mud two strangers came, and caught me splitting wood in the yard. It was all I could do to keep from giggling when I saw out of the corner of my eye the visitors trying to act dignified with grayish-brown sludge dripping from their leathery wings and what must have once been sparkling white robes. Partly to keep from laughing, but also because I knew it would annoy them, I ignored the strangers and kept at my chore until they were so close I could smell the rich, earthy scent of the muck coating them from head to toe.

I had forgotten how strong they could be and was surprised when the closest one caught my ax handle in mid-swing. "Insolent boy! Do you not know who we are?"

I was tempted to argue with them about the boy comment, considering I was really a girl. I decided to let it slide. Immortals always seemed to get genders confused and it would have been a losing battle trying to explain the way I was dressed. Instead, I let go of the handle, hiked up my britches, and looked him square in the eye. "Right now, you look like someone who needs a bath."

The back of his hand smacked into the side of my face before I could have even thought of reacting. It would have been a death blow to a mortal. Fortunately, I was only half mortal. My ribs ached from the rough landing and my ears were ringing, but I was still alive.

The door to our cabin swung open with a booming crash. "Arnash! How dare you lay a hand on my daughter!" The wind picked up and dark clouds began to gather in response to his wrath. I turned and saw my father, thunder in his beautiful eyes, his long platinum hair and glowing white robe whipping in the growing breeze.

The stranger who struck me seemed frozen with fear, not to mention totally baffled when he glanced at me again. His companion looked equally confused, but that didn't stop him from slowly inching his way back to the mud hole. When he finally spoke, it came out in a strained squeak. "Arnash, I told you we shouldn't have come. I'm sure we can explain to His Lordship that it's still too soon after losing his wife to --"

"It will always be too soon!" My father was across the clearing, had grabbed each of the strangers by the collar, and began dragging them back up the path they had come down before I could blink twice. "He knew a mortal could not survive the marriage trials. He knew I could not speak out on her behalf while I was in his prison. I will not return to His realm. Not now." He tossed one stranger into the mud single-handedly. "Not ever." He tossed the other one in. There was a brief flash of golden light as the portal activated and took the strangers away.

When the light faded, my father fell to his knees. As I pulled myself to my feet, a chilly raindrop splattered on my forehead. Even before I could hear him sobbing, I saw the wings draped across his shoulders shudder. By the time I was standing beside him, the heavy rain had nearly soaked through my clothes. I couldn't think of anything to say to take away the pain of his loss for the woman I had never met. Instead, I crouched down, wrapped my arms around his shoulders, and let him cry.

Finally, he looked up and stroked the back of my rain-soaked hair. "You are so much like your mother. She would have been proud of the way you stood up to those overbearing brutes."

I couldn't help smiling when I saw his red-rimmed eyes light up at the thought of her. "Maybe some day we'll be able to see her."

I was barely able to hear my father's sigh as thunder rolled in the distance. "Dearest child, I've explained this to you before. When I gave up my immortality for her, she lost all memory of her past. She may be alive, but she doesn't know us. It's just the way things are."

"Well, I don't like the way things are. Maybe, if she really tried, she might remember us."

My father chuckled and the clouds began to part. "If she's still as stubborn as you, perhaps she could." He wrapped his arms and wings around me, making me feel safe, warm, and hopeful.

I looked over his shoulder, and saw the faintest of rainbows in the clouds. "I know she will."

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Excellent musing Heather!

...Quite vivid imagery and bold in execution! A unique greekish angelic sort of tragic parable that speaks of the gifts of sacrifice and what true love is. What one can learn from this as long there is love and hope one can cope, look towards a future and find a way to survive. Hold tight to the memories of the past, but live in the here and now. Let the happy medium guide you through the trials and not let it misguide you into becoming hateful or despondent. Love can do many things to a person, but what it should do best is to teach one how to live life richly, fulfilled, and how to relate to others.

Love

Sephrena Lynn Miller

Power

Heather you have such power and emotion in your writings that you just knock me over! Now I want to know more darn it! Where is Mom? What's going on with Dad? Just what does a half immortal entail? ARGGH! :)
What a image! Two muddy Angels in bad temper!
hugs!
grover

Now you've done it!

Again!

New concept after new concept.

Keep it up, dear.

Aunt Holly

P.S. I just noticed the Google ad for:

Chunky, Saucy, Snowy Yuck
No more Jello(TM)
no more mud
Use for all your messy games

that Google found to match keywords with your story ...Giggle

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

You're Wonderful

You are such a risk-taker. Everything you write seems to move us forward as a group.

Thank you.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Thank you!

I just wanted to thank everyone for your comments on this story. I've been having lots of fun experimenting with new ideas and it really means a lot that people are hanging in there with me and are finding what I have to share interesting. One of the things I've tried to do is show the humanity in my characters, even if they aren't completely human. ;)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

Call me crazy, but I keep

Call me crazy, but I keep thinking that the narrative girl is actually the messenger's ex-wife.