My Name is Luka

Printer-friendly version

This story is based on one of my favorite songs by Suzanne Vega called Luka. Although the story is about an abused child, I've done my best to only suggest what has happened without getting into anything graphic. Just the same, it wasn't an easy story to write.

My Name is Luka

Copyright 2007 by Heather Rose Brown

Silver bars of moonlight flickered through the whirring blades of the fan in my bedroom window and splattered across the note on my pillow with an almost ghostly glow. I felt rather than heard the click as I turned the dial on top of the fan and the hum of the motor slowly faded as the fan blades slowed, then stopped. Except for the occasional rumble of passing cars, the city was unusually quiet. On the other hand, the argument in the apartment upstairs was getting louder.

Mrs. Martin wasn't at the top of her voice yet, but she was getting close. "Dammit Andrew, what makes you think you have the right to tell me how I should raise my own son?"

Her new boyfriend's voice was deep and booming, but a lot calmer than hers. "In the short time I've known you and Luka, I've--"

"His name is Lukas."

"I'm sorry, Alice. What I was trying to say was, in the short time I've known you two, I've come to see how much you love each other."

"Well, of course I love him." The anger in my neighbor's voice deflated a bit.

"But I can also see you've been having problems with her."

"What the hell do you know about problems, and what kind of crap has he been telling you?"

I ignored the rest of the argument and concentrated on pulling the fan out of the window as quietly as possible. My latest foster parents really seemed to care about me and I was pretty sure, if they heard me, they'd try to stop me. I just hoped my note would convince them I wasn't running away; I was running to help someone.

I took in a deep breath of the humid, almost gritty air when I poked my head out the window. The metal grate of the bottom landing to the fire escape was still warm as I dragged myself outside, but not as hot as it had been when Luka and I had talked this afternoon. I'd been shocked to hear she'd told her mom's boyfriend about her secret, but I was even more worried about what would happen when Luka said Andrew was going to talk with her mom.

I tried creeping as quietly as I could to the second floor landing, but every step seemed to cause a creak or groan that echoed between my apartment and the one across the alley. The yelling had gotten louder by the time I reached Luka's window. She looked paler than usual when she responded to me tapping on the glass, and her hands shook as she opened her window. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm gonna get you outta here. I know a place that really helped me when I needed it. They can help you too."

"But. . . ."

Whatever Luka had to say next was interrupted by a loud banging on her bedroom door. "Lukas, unlock this door now!"

Over the yelling and banging, I heard someone calling my name. When I looked down, I saw my foster father staring up at me from my bedroom window, frowning with annoyance. "Maggie, what do you think you're doing out here this time of night?"

I ignored the question and turned back to Luka, reached through the window and grabbed her hand. "C'mon. We gotta leave now before your mom gets in."

Tears sparkled on her lashes like tiny diamonds. "No, I can't! She'd just find me again."

Before I could say anything, there was the sharp snap of breaking wood and the bedroom door slammed open. Luka's mom stalked in. "How dare you lock your own mother out!"

Andrew walked in through the door and wrapped his long fingers around his girlfriend's upper arm. "Alice, you need to stop and think about what you're doing."

I missed her answer when I noticed a metallic creak. My heart dropped into my stomach when I saw my foster father on the landing below. I turned back to the bedroom just in time to see Andrew stumble back out of the doorway after Mrs. Martin gave him a sharp elbow jab to the stomach. I could hear the steps groan as my foster father climbed up. Luka whimpered when her mom slowly walked towards us. "Okay," I thought, "change of plans."

Luka's mom froze when I slid through the window and landed on my feet beside my friend. "What are you doing in my son's room?"

"You are such a clueless. . . ." I remembered who was standing next to me and bit back the name I was going to call her. Instead I grabbed Luka's hand and ran as wide a circle as I could around her mother. My friend started crying and nearly fell as I dragged her behind me. I wanted to stop and just hold her until the tears were gone, but I knew I couldn't. I glanced back and saw Mrs. Martin grab for and miss Luka's shoulder. I also saw my foster father climbing through the window.

"Hold on there, hon." I turned back and saw Andrew standing in the doorway. "I'm sure you have good intentions, but--"

Without slowing down, I threw my full weight into slamming my shoulder into his gut. I felt guilty even before I saw him land on his backside, pain and shock plain on his face, but I didn't have time to talk or be polite. I hopped over his feet and caught Luka when she tripped over them, then dragged her through the wrecked living room and bolted with her out the apartment door.

*****

Luka and I were both panting. I felt like barfing from the stink of the dumpster we were hiding in. My friend already had. I pulled her closer as she started crying again. "It's gonna be okay. All you gotta do when we get to the shelter is tell them what's been happening."

"But I'm scared!"

"Shhh. I just heard someone pass a couple of minutes ago. We don't want anyone coming back here."

Luka leaned her head on my shoulder and whispered between snuffles, "I'm sorry."

"It's okay." I pulled back a little and shooed a fly away from her face. "So what ya scared of?"

"My mom. You've got no idea what she's like."

"Trust me, I know better than you think. Sometimes you've gotta stand up for yourself, even when you're scared."

"Ever since Mom beat me when I told her I was a girl, I've been scared." Her jaw tightened as she hissed through her teeth. "I'm tired of being scared." She squeezed her eyes shut and began sobbing noisily. I was busy rocking my friend and barely noticed when pale light and a whiff of fresh air hit my face. I probably would have jumped straight into the air when the dumpster lid banged against the back if Luka hadn't been in my lap.

I looked up and saw Mrs. Martin. Her face was twisted with fury and her nose crinkled in disgust. "What do you think you're doing running off like that?"

I slid Luka from my lap and stood between her and her mom. "She's getting away from you."

Mrs. Martin frowned and her eyes tightened to slits. "What do you mean by. . . ." She let the end of her question go and turned to the alley entrance at the sound of approaching footsteps.

Andrew came around the corner and ran towards us, huffing and puffing. "Luka, I'm so glad you and your friend are safe. You two really had us worried."

Luka's mom whirled on her boyfriend. "Why the hell do you keep on calling her. . . ." her hands bunched into tight fists. "I mean, why do you keep on calling him Luka?"

"Well, you see, she--"

"Oh I see just fine. I see you're poking your nose in where it doesn't belong."

There were more footsteps and my foster parents were suddenly running towards me. When they saw me, they shouted at almost the same time, "Maggie!"

Mrs. Martin turned to them. "Goddammit! Is the whole neighborhood coming in here?"

My foster mother squared off against her and shook a finger in her face. "Now you listen here!"

Before she could say more, there was the earsplitting squelch of a siren. Red and blue lights reflected off the walls of the alley. A couple of car doors slammed and two police officers jogged into the alley. Luka's mom took a couple of steps back until she bumped into the dumpster.

My foster father turned and waved to the officers. "Thank you so much for getting here so quickly. Both children are in the dumpster over there," he pointed to Mrs. Martin, "and that's Luka's mother."

One of the officers walked towards the dumpster until he was standing maybe a foot away from my friend's mom. "Is Luka your daughter?"

I hopped back, nearly knocking Luka over, when Mrs. Martin slammed her fist into the side of the dumpster. "Has everyone completely lost their minds? I don't have a daughter. I have a son, and his name is Lukas!"

I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I turned and saw Luka's cheeks were bright with tears and her chin was trembling, but there was a hard, determined look in her eyes. She held onto my shoulder and climbed over the garbage at our feet until she was standing beside me. "If you don't want me to be your daughter, then I guess I'll hafta live with that. But I can't be your son, 'cause I ain't a boy. And I don't wanna be called Lukas any more."

She took in a deep, shaking breath. "My name is Luka."

up
108 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

"Fighting things I cannot see...."

I am fast become a real fan of your writing. This is a lovely piece. I like the understatement very much. There is a lot which isn't said, and you invoke the atmosphere very well. The way the story builds and gradually brings us in holds the attention, and my heart was in my mout as they tried to escape.

Well done.
Tara
x

The strangest journeys start with a single step.

The strangest journeys start with a single step.

Great song and a touching story!

"My name is Luka. I live on the second floor. You might have seen me before...". Suzanne Vega is a great singer and she even has some TG-theme songs. One - I don't remember the title - had some lines: "You make a pretty good girl as girls goes. ... What made you more girl than girls are?"

The story is touching as someone is willing to help - at a considerable risk - her friend who is a she and not a he. Helping this soul against abusing mother takes bravery. I wonder if Maggie used to be a boy too? Thankfully Luka's mom's boyfriend was accepting and also Maggies foster parents were willing to help. I think Luka will be alright, but she will have to get away from her mom.

Hugs,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Ps. I am also a fan of your stories!

Very Good

A solid, effective story on both the action and emotional levels.

If you've got a problem .... We all need, somebody to lean on

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Heather,

I just couldn't get that song out of my mind after reading your story. It is SO true!!!! And if we in the TG community are NOT willing to 'be there' for each-other to lean on when we need it, who in the hell WILL 'be there' for us?

"I'm gonna get you outta here. I know a place that really helped me when I needed it. They can help you too."

If that doesn't suggest that Maggie is TG, I don't know what will.

Thanks for this story, that I believe should be an inspiration to me and others to be there when someone needs our assistance.

with love,

Hope

There are only 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Another solid story

Heather,

good show. Short but covers the bases. What is it with parent's or others who think "I'll beat you until you're my loving child/wife/etc? Where does abusing people physically or otherwise come off as love?

Oh, HER? 01001110001100. 100101110111010011000 ... !

I love that joke.

I was paraphrasing Kryten -- from Red Dwarf

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

A very long time

It's been a very long time since I heard that song "Luka". Heather your writings are just top-notch! Your descriptions and characterizations had not only me but from the comments from the other readers on the edge of our seats during their escape. Well done Heather!
Hugs!
grover

"As Girls Go"

I found the lyrics online to the Suzanne Vega song that was mentioned. *smile* I need to go hunting for the song.

*hugs*

Randalynn

###

"As Girls Go"

You make a really good girl
As girls go
Still kind of look like a guy
I never thought to wonder why

If I could pull this off
Would I know for certain
The real situation
Behind the curtain

So beautiful
damsel in distress
Not exactly natural
Stunning none the less

What happened to you?
To make you more girl than girls are
Would you ever show or tell
Cause you're so good so far

You make a really good girl
As girls go [X5]

Let's chronicle
The dark side of the life
Did you ever keep the date
With the steel side of the knife

Doesn't matter to me
Which side of the line
You happen to be
At any given time

You make a really good girl
As girls go [X5]

Luka

Heather good job on your story.

It is so sad that these things are reality, not fiction. It maybe fiction in your story, but I do know occurances of this in real life.

The parents refusing to awknowledge the TG'ism of a child. To the point they would beat the child repeatedly, to beat it out of them, thinking this would make them change, to get them to accept who they were born. Who they are suppose to be, as far as society dictates.

It is a frightening time for the child, and one that can severly cripple the child mentally and physically. For the rest of their lives. The child will live in terror because of what the parents have done, they will never trust their parents ever again, and will not tell them confidential information. They will never grow up with out fear, and never feel safe, and will never trust anyone. They become true loners, because the only one they can rely upon, and trust, is themselves; for others will always betray them, at least they feel this way. With that betrayal, is pain, heartache, and suffering. I have seen it too many times, in many people.

I understand what being alone is, even in a room full of people, you just do not fit in, and still feel isolated. You also fear crowds. It is a true shame. All because the parents couldn't understand what was really going on and refuse to listen to your plea's.

I listened to the song Luka. I saw it as spousal abuse, but true it could be child abuse too. I don't think that particular song had anything to do with being a TG cild. But it was sad that we in this society have to hear about such things through song. I know it was probably based on real fact, and that hurts even more.

Hugs Heather
Joni W

The Holicost Continues

In your story the perpetrator of the crime was her mother. If it isn't a relitive then it is the next door neighbor or a classmate or someone you know or sometimes don't know. Unfortunatly the pain is so great that some of us must end this life. I know you are strong enough to make it and hope that you can rescue at least one Luka.

hugs

Aunty Shelly

reality bites

to hug is to be and to be is to be hugged

heather a well written story yet again congradulations. as to the content for alot of us what has been done is a reality and alot of us dont make it. Shalimar is right the holocaust does continue not just towards children. All I will say is for all of us reach out the community saved me and i found love and a future be there for others as we are only human

hugs

to hug is to be and to be is to be hugged

view the world through the eyes of a child and relearn the wonder and love

Allie elle loved and cared for and resident of the kids camp full time

Thank you

Thank you everyone for all your comments. There had been times in my life when I was afraid to express what I was feeling and say what I was thinking. The only release I had was to write things down. I'm so glad I decided to share what I wrote. Knowing there are people out there who are willing to listen and who seem to understand means so much.

When I'd first heard Suzanne Vega's song, it touched me very deeply. As much as I loved the song, it also felt incomplete. It felt as if Luka was just left in a horrible nightmare. I realize being trapped in such a situation is common, but it didn't stop me from wanting to rescue Luka.

Even though this is a short story, it took me a long time to write it. A big part of that was plain and simple fear. I tend to identify very closely with my protagonist, and facing the wrath of Luka's mother was terrifying. If I didn't feel Maggie had the strength of will to do whatever it took to help her friend find help, I don't think I could have written this story.

Is it possible for someone to believe they love someone while beating them? I believe the answer is yes. There seem to be some people who misunderstand the idea of "tough love". They may feel that in order to protect someone from a greater harm, they need to apply a lesser harm. While there may be a certain logic to this line of thinking, the application can lead to some terrifying conclusions.

There may be other justifications some have been able to come up with for abusing someone while convincing themselves they love them. I'm starting to really feel like I'm slipping into the deep end emotionally thinking about this, so I'm going to try shifting to something a bit lighter.

I had completely forgotten about the song, "As Girls Go". Guess that's just another reason for me to be a fan of Suzanne Vega. Does anyone know of the titles of any of her other songs that have transgender themes?

It's been interesting reading what people think of Maggie's gender identity. While I hadn't specified it (at least, not intentionally) I did see Maggie as a boyish girl who finds herself on the double-x side of the spiraling chromosome dance. When she mentions the place that helped her, what she meant was a place that helped abused children, although it was also a place that didn't have issues with those children being, like herself, differently gendered.

If this story will encourages someone to reach out and help someone else in need, whether or not they're transgendered, then I will feel my role as a writer has truly been fulfilled. While, I enjoy writing entertaining stories, I also hope people will come away with something meaningful that will affect their lives and the lives of others in a positive way.

{{{warm huggs for anyone who feels okay being hugged}}}

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Heather Rose Brown
Author of Bobby's Rainy Day Adventure

This was good

Alice-s's picture

Ok it might be because I am a bit of a towie and have been humming Tom's diner since it came out, but yeah, I liked the story.

Thank you!

I'm so glad you enjoyed my story! But ... what's a towie?