Janegirl Camp-Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version


I'd recently been reading a message someone posted, where janegirl was suggested as being to boys what tomboy is to girls. That caught the interest of my moose (muse), and I decided to try writing a bit of flash fiction. Because so many people seemed to enjoy the idea of Janegirl Camp, that peice of flash fiction became the first chapter of this story. I'm hoping others will enjoy reading my story as much as I'm having fun writing it! :)

Janegirl Camp
Chapter 1

Copyright 2021 by Heather Rose Brown

=-=-=

Gravel crunched under our heavy duty tires when Dad drove the truck into a parking area hedged in by scrubby pines and spruce trees. The butterflies in my stomach went from fluttering to dive-bombing each other when he pulled the key out of the ignition, and asked, "You all ready, Zee?"

"Daaaad," I said as I crossed my arms. "I only use that name when I'm ... dressed."

My dad raised an eyebrow. "So, you're not dressed now?"

I looked down at my t-shirt, shorts, and sneakers. Normal boy stuff. Okay, the shirt was pink. So were my sneakers. But ... boys are allowed to allowed to wear pink. Right? And my shorts were blue denim. Blue was a boy color. That made up for the pink. Didn't it?

I shrugged and said, "I dunno."

My dad draped a muscular arm across my shoulders and asked, "What is it you don't know?"

I shrugged again and said, "Everything."

One of Dad's cheeks dimpled as he asked, "Care to be more specific?"

"I dunno 'bout lotsa stuff, but mostly, I ain't sure 'bout goin' to this camp."

"Why's that?"

I looked down at the glittery laces on my sneakers and said, "While I knew how much ya love Aunt Steph, even though she used to be your brother, I was still really nervous 'bout lettin' ya know I was ... different."

My dad gave my shoulder a gentle squeeze as he said, "Nothing wrong with being different."

"I know, but ... bein' different at home is lots different from bein' different where others can see me bein' different."

"Hey," Dad said as he reached under my chin and turned my head toward him. "Do you think I'd take you anywhere I thought it wasn't safe for you to be yourself?"

"Well ... no ... but I ain't sure somethin' called Janegirl Camp is the place for me."

My dad was quiet for a few seconds, then he asked, "Would you like to leave?"

I blinked, then asked, "You'd be okay with that?"

"Of course. I brought you here so you can explore what it means to be you, not to force you into anything you feel uncomfortable doing."

"I dunno if I could find what it means to be me surrounded by a bunch of boys in dresses curling each others hair, and stuff like that."

Dad nodded, then said, "You may see *some* of that here, but not all janegirls are like that."

I frowned and asked, "Do ya think I'm a janegirl?"

My dad kissed my forehead, then said, "Only you can answer that."

"But ... how do I know?"

"Well, there's a camp orientation meeting in about ..." Dad checked his watch. "I'd say, a little over ten minutes. Want to head in, and see if they might have some answers?"

The butterflies in my stomach were still buzzing around, but I was feeling a smidge more curious than scared. "Yeah," I said, hoping I looked braver than I felt, "I guess I can at least give it a try."

Dad tousled my hair as he said, "That's the Zee I know and love."

On a wild impulse, I leaned up as far as my seatbelt would let me, and kissed his cheek.

My dad stared in shock for a moment, then gave me a huge bear hug. His voice seemed to break a little when he asked, "You ready to head in?"

I sniffled while hugging back, then put on a smile when I let go and said, "So long as I know ya got my back, I'm ready for anything."

up
228 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like the premise

kristin's picture

Ok, I would like to see where this goes. An interesting line of thought

kristyn nichols

I've got some ideas...

...of where this might go, but nothing solid yet. My moose can be finicky sometimes, but she's still snuffling around this story, so I'm hoping for the best. :)

Chocolate...

...is one of my most favorite things ever! I think my moose might be a fan as well. ;)

Fun little start

crash's picture

This is a fun little start. I love the framing and the atmosphere you generated. It'd be fun to watch more of Zoe's experiences at camp. Oh well. It's a great tactic to leave then wanting more.

Crescenda

aka

Your friend
Crash

I'm so glad ...

... you enjoyed what I've written so far! I'd love to see what happens next with Zee too. He sorta came outta nowhere, and I'm curious about what his experiences will be like at camp. :)

Excellent

I think this is wonderful. I am hoping to see more, this is a great story with a solid starting foundation.

I have an odd feeling it was my post your talking about lol.

I think this is great though, really. Did you hear of the term 'janegirl' before you read the post hun?

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

Now that I think of it ...

I have a feeling it had been you who made the comment about janegirls. Thanks so much for the inspiration! :D

YAY

No problem, glad I could inspire you <3

Amelia Rosewood Year two.png

With Love and Light, and Smiles so Bright!

Erin Amelia Fletcher

having his/her back

vital to have that kind of support

DogSig.png

Having support...

...especially from a parent, can mean an awful lot! Zee's dad def seems like that kinda parent. :)

Good start and I like the term...

Janegirl, though it wouldn't have been well received, like a boy actually wearing a dress. I'm anxious to see how we might get along with one another.

Hugs, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

I like janegirl too!

Of course, whether it's a positive or negative way of identifying someone can be affected by the way it's used. If my moose cooperates, and whispers more story ideas in my ear, I plan to make janegirl as positive a term as possible! :D

Janegirl should be...

The opposite of Tomboy. Who agrees with me?

TGSine --958

I agree!

Having janegirl be the opposite of tomboy was the spark that started this story. :)

More please

Glenda98's picture

Liking the start, let’s see where this leads.

Glenda Ericsson

I'd like to see..

...where this leads too! Right now I have a few ideas floating in my head, but I'm still trying to put them together in a way that feels like a story, rather than the confusing mess I have at the moment.

I like this

bryony marsh's picture

I’m sure there are more than a few people hereabouts who’d tell you that it’s unfair: girls are positively encouraged to attempt the traditionally male pursuits such as science and engineering, while boys who want to cross the line are left feeling foolish and apprehensive. Teenage years are not kind to them.

In fiction, you’re free to explore an alternative universe where this isn’t the case – and you’ve made a good start!

Sugar and Spiiice – TG Fiction by Bryony Marsh

While I've seen...

...girls running into issues while pursuing interests traditionally considered more suited for boys, it does seem to me that boys tend to run into more issues while pursuing interests traditionally considered more suited for girls. While things seem to be getting a little better, the world could still use a little more openess when it comes to what's expected of people. In this story, I hope to show what such a world might be like. I'm glad you enjoyed the first chapter of this story, and hope you will enjoy the next chapter just as much! :)

Very nice start,

I'll add in my two cents and agree with everyone else that this is a wonderful beginning and I hope your muse lets you continue this, it should be fun!

Thank you!

I'm glad you enjoyed Janegirl Camp. I'm working on a new chapter now. I'm not sure where this story will go, but I'm having fun exploring it. :)

Got his back

Jamie Lee's picture

Zee is fortunate to have her dad's love and support. She could have had a dad who wanted to beat the 'silliness' out of her. Instead, dad let's Zee make decisions.

Family is one thing, strangers another, and more so when it's a strange place.

Others have feelings too.

I definitely agree.

Zee's dad is pretty special! :)