The Voyage of the Visund -43-

Printer-friendly version

Ursula goes to the market in Tobeligo to replenish her supplies and takes Kaldar along. The young runaway will have to be 'Kaldara' while in Yodan lands to avoid awkward questions, so suitable attire must be found. At the market Ursula has an unusual encounter which may or may not be the cause of later discomfort.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

43 - At the Market


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Bennet finally joined the others after breakfast the following morning dressed in a training top and matching box-pleated skirt.

"I ask your pardon for the delay, Mistress," she said when she arrived. "Her Highness suggested I take my sword and, though it is possible to do so with a ship dress, it does not look nor feel right."

Ursula nodded. "I think that you are right, Bennet. Ship dresses are not designed for belts or sashes. That outfit is more practical to my eye, though it must be a little warmer."

The guardswoman shrugged. "What must be, Mistress."

"Then let us go."

As nominally the senior person present Ursula led the small party through the gates of the hostel and into the city proper. To one side was the road leading to the port facilities so they turned the other way. The road they were on was lined with taverns, hostels, booths, chandlers' shops and open-fronted craftsmen's booths where men were sawing and shaping wood, beating metal or making nets and other marine requirements from ropes and cords.

Despite the fact that it was just after breakfast, the taverns were already busy and there were one or two semi-sober clients sitting or lying in the roadway outside. Ursula gave Bennet a look which was replied with by a shake of the head. Avoiding the drinkers they walked to the next junction, nearly bumping into a mature local coming the other way.

"Pardon us, Friend. I wonder, can you direct us to the market? I am a healer and I need to restock some of my herbs."

The man gave Ursula a considered look up and down and then pointed. "That way, Mistress, two streets along and off to your left, you'll find the town square. Just arrived, have you?"

"We have, but how did you know?"

"No-one around here speaks like that, Mistress. I can understand you, it is true, but your choice of words is odd and there is a strange accent."

"I am a stranger to the Great Valley," Ursula agreed. "I am from a distant land called Alberta. Have you heard of it?"

"No, Mistress, but I don't know of many lands, even those along the Sirrel. Of course, Tobeligo is full of strangers these days! Well, I must be going. Luck at the market."

"Thank you."

They watched the old man amble off before turning in the indicated direction.

"He didn't seem to dislike us," Tyra remarked. "I thought that all Yodans hated everybody who was not of their kind."

Bennet disagreed. "From what I heard before we left, most of their own folk did not like their masters either. The word in the palace was that many here rose against their lords and rulers and helped the invading armies when they arrived."

"Do you tell me? The world is a confusing place indeed."

Ursula said, "Everyone in any land has their own personal opinions, Tyra. When you go somewhere new, you cannot assume that they all think the same way." She added, "Of course, you also cannot assume that they think differently either. When in a strange land it is best to keep your mouth shut until you learn how the politics is handled around you."

"Wise words, Mistress."

"Aye, Tyra," Bennet agreed. "In the guard we are taught to avoid giving anyone our opinions while on duty and to take extra care when off duty."

"It must be so if you are sworn to another."

"Indeed, but that does not mean that you must needs share the views of he or she you are sworn to. It just means that when you are on duty you follow orders whatever they may be." She shrugged again. "Off duty, well, you may express your opinions to your friends but it is usually wiser to keep them to yourself. Many a good meal has been spoiled by arguments caused by others' opinions."

"As you say, Bennet."

Ursula remarked, "Speaking from experience, Bennet?"

"Aye, Mistress. I did work in the palace kitchen."

The square opened up and the four began to work their way around the many stalls. Most of those wandering around were locals, recognizable now by their garb, but there were plenty of others around too. Some of those wore a variety of uniforms but others could be easily identified as river folk or travelers.

While the stalls were much the same as elsewhere, the buildings surrounding the square looked old and badly kept. It was a while before Ursula figured out why.

This is a ferry port. Most people don't stay around here very long. It isn't the capital, either, so maybe they haven't spent so much money doing it up. If they are at war most of the time they probably spent their money on other things. There is no paint on these buildings!

I do not plan to live here either. Better to concentrate on my own needs - and those of Kaldar.

"Kaldar, how old are you?"

"Mistress, I have thirteen years. If I may ask, why do you need to know?"

"Because I may have to make up a story about you. Should anyone ask, I will tell them we are related. When we find the stall of a herbalist or a dressmaker, they may ask your age, and if I did not know it someone would wonder why I did not know."

"I understand, Mistress."

Since the term herbs could mean plants that could be used for cooking as well as healing, several vendors were found near the stalls selling food. Ursula managed to replenish her other stocks but the ones she wanted for Kaldar were not available.

"Which way is your barge going, Mistress? Upstream or downstream?"

"Upstream. I know that I cannot find what I need further down the Sirrel."

"As you say. You know that the river divides beyond Yod?"

"Yes, of course." Actually, I did not until you just told me. But I need to make them think I am familiar with the river.

"Then once you depart Yod you must needs take the left fork, Mistress. At one of the smaller ports along that stretch you should find what you need - only along the east bank, mind, I do not know if the west bank still belongs to Yod - and I do not care."

"Ah. I will have to consult my captain, then. I do not know what course he has chosen."

"Luck on your journey, Mistress."

"Thank you."

She had much the same advice elsewhere, so once their other needs were satisfied she turned her attention to the fabric stalls. At the first stall the woman looked her up and down, gave Kaldar a harder look and spent a long time examining Bennet and her weapons.

"Mistress? The attire of you all is unusual and, if I may say so, of interest to me."

Ursula gave the woman a smile. "These are new styles from Joth, Mistress. The city can become very hot and so this," she gestured to her ship dress, "was suggested to the river folk to help keep us cool."

"Do you tell me? Is the design available or must I needs pay someone a fee every time I make it?"

"Those of Joth have decided that this design should be made available to all, Mistress. It is simple enough to make, after all, just a front and a back, two short sleeves and not even a seam down my back." Ursula turned right round so that the woman could see the back of the dress. "However, to get the shaping right, so I was told, requires some fairly careful cutting to make it fall properly."

The woman studied it closely. "Oh, I see. It is cleverly done, I deem. I wonder, if it were possible, if I might borrow such a garment for a day, that I might understand it better."

"Regrettably, Mistress, we sail tomorrow morning right after breakfast. That will not be possible."

The woman's face fell. "Ah. My misfortune, then."

"I can tell you that these have become popular in Joth and you may see other traveling women dressed this way. I will also tell you that they do not all have to be the same color, pattern or material though the material will affect fit and comfort, of course."

"My thanks to you, Mistress, for the information." The woman pointed at Tyra. "Is that your assistant? I see that she wears a similar style but hers has a pouch sewn across the front. What a simple idea! I could do with something like that for my own attire. It would be of help working this stall."

"Feel free, Mistress."

"But your... escort, is that right? By your leave, I have never heard of such a thing! Do they have armswomen in Joth these days?"

Bennet answered, "They probably do by now, Mistress, but I am a guardswoman of King Robanar of Palarand. I am here not to protect the mistress from those of Yod but from any unruly men-at-arms who may do what armsmen often do when they see a group of women."

"Aye! I could do with one like you as well, I deem! I am frequently offered inducements to leave my stall for a bell or so. I think that half of Tobeligo will be glad when these armies return home, though the other half will bemoan the drop in trade. Tell me, your own attire is as interesting as that of your mistress. What is that you wear? An unusual uniform dress or something else? That skirt is especially interesting."

"As you say, Mistress. It is a pull-on tunic, shaped for a woman, which is normally tucked inside the separate skirt. The box pleats allow me to kick when the need arises."

"Ah! How clever!" The woman nodded. "A uniform, I suppose?"

"It was originally designed so, Mistress, but many in Palarand city have found the design so fascinating that the style is now seen in many places. The effect is most striking when the pleats are made from different colors, such that the contrast is only seen when we move."

"Oh! I see!" The woman turned to Ursula. "And if I may make this design also?"

"A difficult question, Mistress. I do not know the answer. We have a noble with us, I could ask him and send you the answer later today, if he knows it."

"I would be interested, Mistress. You may address it to Kylina the Clothseller. I am one of the Town Committee, I am well known, you may be sure it will be delivered."

After writing down the name on a scrap of paper, Ursula looked up to find the woman waiting.

"Mistress, I assume that you did not just stop at my stall to give me a display of fashion. If I may be of help?"

I was about to invent a story but speaking with her about our clothes means that it could become elaborate and she might get suspicious. That could make it easier to fall apart.

There is no reason why I should not tell part of the truth.

"You may be able to, Mistress. As we were departing from Ferenis city yesterday morning, this young woman jumped on board, she was running away from her father who treats her badly. Our captain could not leave her there, Duke Gathol of Ferenis was called but was reluctant to intervene. His Grace has permitted our captain to take her with us to keep her safe. Her name is Kaldara. As you can see, she is in need of appropriate clothing."

"That is a girl? I thought she was a boy attendant! Your pardon, Mistress, I was misled by her appearance."

"Yes. She had to sneak out after her father left home and that meant a disguise. Can you help her? I know that you will not have anything like our own dresses, but she needs something light that will work on board ship."

Kylina's eyes narrowed. "Who is your captain, then, who can persuade a Duke to let him take a runaway child with him?"

Ursula sighed. "Mistress, I did not want to mention any names since you might think that I am telling a tall story. I would prefer that you keep this information to yourself."

"Mistress, unlike many I do not share gossip in the market nor anywhere else! As I am also a Councilwoman I have a reputation to consider. Unless a crime has been committed, I shall speak of this matter to nobody."

"My captain is not a man, she is Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand. Our ship is the Visund."

Kylina's eyes widened with surprise. "Do you tell me? The Princess was spoken about in Council last night. There was some talk then about a child being on board with all those men. This is she? Mistress, you have my full attention. Of course I will do what I can, and if I cannot I will speak with our other traders. How long will your ship remain in Tobeligo?"

"As I mentioned earlier, we leave tomorrow morning."

"Ah. Too soon to have something sewn, I deem. Let me see what I can do, Mistress. I will need to measure her first, of course."

"Kaldara? You heard? Go with Mistress Kylina into the booth so that she can measure you."

"Of course, Mistress."

It was less than a minute, Ursula estimated, before Kylina came storming out, her face like thunder.

"Mistress? I require your word that you are not responsible for those marks on the child's body!"

"Mistress Kylina," Ursula responded carefully, "I am a healer. I swear to you that I am not responsible for any of the injuries on Kaldara. I will also swear that no-one on the Visund has made any of those marks."

Bennet stepped forward. "Mistress, I am a guardswoman of King Robanar of Palarand. I witnessed the girl come aboard, I witnessed the arguments between our captain and her father. I shall also swear."

Tyra immediately said, "Heard and witnessed!"

The fire went out of Kylina's eyes but she was still incensed. "My apologies for doubting you, Mistresses. What kind of monster does that to his children? Does he have a name?"

"He does, Mistress, he is Denethar of Ferenis. Do you know of him?"

"Denethar! Why, of course, he trades across the river. At least he does when we are not at war with one another. Do you tell me that he is as hard on his own family as he is driving a bargain?"

"I cannot answer for his other children, Mistress, or his bargaining. From what I have heard his profits come mainly from wars. He buys and sells animals, equipment and food to armies passing through but charges them high prices. He does not charge those prices to Ferenis buyers, so we were told."

Kylina's expression was of disgust. "We have those in Yod also, Mistress. I will bring this matter to the Council's notice, by your leave. If I have my way he shall not trade at this crossing again."

Ursula was silent for a while. "It occurs to me, Mistress Kylina, that since Denethar makes most of his profits during wars then he might be one of those responsible for causing them. I'm sorry we have to go tomorrow, but your Council might think of investigating him a little deeper." She had another thought. "If he does trade over here, perhaps you should also be investigating those contacts as well."

"Maker! I had not thought of that! Aye, I will tell them what you have told me." Kylina smiled. "But I have a young woman shivering in the back. If you would excuse me."

She went into the booth again and returned shortly, shaking her head. "If you would thank your Princess for me. I cannot think of a better deed that she might have done."

She went to the rails, which were to one side of the table which held materials and accessories, and began going through her stock. Using her tape measure to check sizes, she shook her head twice before pulling out a short plain mid green dress.

"This is for a much younger person, Mistress, but her waist is such that it should fit and still leave room for some growth. It is a simple style which should not offend her tastes and will be short enough for the river. Oh! I am forgetting myself. Of course her tastes may not be those of Yod... or Tobeligo."

"I -" Ursula turned to Tyra and Bennet, stumped. What she knew about local styles could be written on the head of a pin. "What do either of you think?"

Bennet just shrugged while Tyra replied, "Mistress, it is not a style that would be seen in Joth but since we began traveling I do not think it will draw attention, if that is your thought."

"Would you like to go and help her try it on?"

"Of course, Mistress."

Ursula turned back to Kylina and then remembered. "Ah, we're going to need underwear as well... both top and bottom."

"As you wish, Mistress. If your assistant would join the child within, I will look out some items to wear beneath the dress."

Kylina rummaged in some covered baskets under the table and then joined Tyra inside with Kaldara. It took a little time before the three emerged. The dress had long, loose sleeves and a fairly wide neckline with a frill around the edge. The skirt was full, of two tiers and just reached to Kaldara's knees.

Ursula asked Kaldara, "How do you feel?"

"It fits well, Mistress, though it feels a little short." Kaldara glanced at the hems of the other women. "Your skirts are short too, is this because of the ship?"

"Partly, since we are able to climb about a little easier, but it will be cooler in the heat of summer as well."

"As you say, Mistress."

Kylina commented, "You speak truth, Mistress, a shorter hem will be cooler, I deem, but in Yod such displays of legs are frowned upon. If you would tell me, is it the fashion to the east to wear hems so high?"

This time it was Bennet who responded. "Mistress, the general rule in Palarand is that when a man and a woman stand near to each other, he should not be able to see her knees. Of course once they sit down her knees may be seen but that is acceptable."

"Do you tell me?"

"Ah, but I must add, Princess Garia prefers even shorter hems, though only the younger folk are likely to wear them thus. She has set many new fashions in Palarand since her arrival."

"Indeed?" Kylina looked wistful. "I wish that your party were staying longer, that I might learn what is happening in the east. There have been many tales, most of which I may not believe."

"Kaldara? Are you taking that one?" At her nod Ursula turned to Kylina. "How much underwear should she need?"

"She has none? None at all? Of course not, considering how she arrived. Then I would suggest two bodices and five panties. She will also need at least two tie-side panties."

"Agreed. How much will it all cost?"

"If I might ask, which coin will you use? We accept most coins from the east."

"Since our ship is from Palarand that is where most of our money is from."

"Then..." Kylina mumbled a little and then stated, "Call it eight Feniks, Mistress."

"Done."

Since Bennet was the only person familiar with the coinage she opened her pouch, brought out her bag of coins and counted out the money. Kylina raised an eyebrow but by now had worked out that everybody in the group came from different places. She took the money and tucked it away before making a pile of the excess goods - and Kaldar's boy clothes - and wrapping them in a piece of thin cloth tied with string.

Ursula asked, "Mistress, I have noticed that all the women in Yod... Tobeligo... have their heads covered, even inside. Is there some particular reason? Even a law?"

Kylina snorted. "Not in Tobeligo there is not! Mistress, the laws of Yod are oppressive to women, as you may learn when next your ship comes to land. Such laws were enforced here, as you must realize, but that was one reason we broke away. We make our own laws now. For now, the wearing of a head covering is merely customary, what all women are used to, but those who come from the east like yourselves bare their heads and it is likely that we will do the same in time."

"I see. Of course, when the sun is hot we all have straw hats... and I have just realized that Kaldara will need a hat too."

"Indeed, Mistress! Especially if she has a bare neck like that. If I may direct you to Komer Felter's stall." She pointed. "Tell him I sent you and he will not cheat you. His hats are robust and reliable too."

"Thank you for the tip, Mistress Kylina, and good day to you."

"Good day to you and your party, Mistress. Luck on your journey and safe traveling on the river."

The four wandered through the market, looking at everything but they had few other requirements of their own. Tyra carried Kaldara's clothes. Eventually they came to the hatmaker's stall.

"Komer Felter? Mistress Kylina sent us. Our young charge here will need a straw hat to protect her from the sun."

"For the girl? Of course. Let me see."

While Komer was checking through a pile of straw hats to find one small enough for Kaldara's head Ursula felt a hard nudge in her side. She turned to find the snout of a young dranakh next to her and its eyes looking straight at her own.

"Your pardon, Mistress," a man came over. "Nivet decided you were interesting. She means you no harm."

Nivet gave Ursula a complicated bleat. The man looked surprised.

"She's never done that afore! Nivet, come, return to your mother."

Ursula looked up and saw a larger dranakh behind a stall selling dairy products. One eye regarded her closely but she felt no danger. Rather, she somehow knew that there was interest, curiosity, but she did not know how she knew.

A harder nudge on her elbow made her step back as she saw that the young dranakh had opened its mouth, showing an impressive array of huge teeth and a massive expanse of tongue. She expected to be enveloped by halitosis but instead the smell was sweet, of clean vegetables and grass with a hint of milk.

She had the strongest urge, then, one which made her back away in confusion. She muttered, "What?"

"Mistress?" The man was concerned and, turning, Ursula saw that not only her companions were watching warily but those around her at other stalls had also stopped to watch.

"Mistress?" The man asked again. "What is it? She will not harm you, I am sure of it."

"I... don't know," Ursula replied, confused. "I had the strangest feeling then. For some reason I wanted to put my arm into its mouth!"

The man looked amazed but his response was completely unexpected. "Mistress, I have never heard of such a thing! You are indeed favored. They desire to know you without me introducing you. If you would put your arm into her mouth, she will taste it and then let it out."

"What? I can't do that!" Ursula backed further away, shocked.

"Mistress," Bennet called. "It is true, when the owner of a dranakh wishes to introduce his friends to the beasts that is what they do. They will not offer to taste if they are not sure of you."

Ursula stared at the dranakh who regarded her steadily, its mouth still partly open. "You are sure?"

"Mistress, I have done it myself, on my uncle's farm."

Ursula stuck out her left arm and instinctively closed her eyes as it was engulfed. What followed was both expected and unexpected. The mouth was warm and wet, but not slimy. She could feel the taste buds of the tongue against the skin of her arm. Somehow the contact had avoided the teeth, but she had decided that whatever was happening would involve no danger or injury to herself. There was a curious feeling of calm, satisfaction.

After a few moments the mouth opened and she withdrew her arm. It dried surprisingly quickly. She opened her eyes to find the young dranakh regarding her and she thought to bow.

"Thank you, Nivet. That was unexpected but thank you."

The beast gave another complicated bleat and then turned away to rejoin its mother.

The owner scratched his head. "Mistress, I have no idea what just happened. If you would accept my apologies for any inconvenience."

"I don't know what to say," Ursula confessed. "That was completely outside my experience."

"You are new to the animals then, Mistress?" When she nodded he explained, "It is a very old custom between owner and beast, Mistress. I do not know how or where it started. They are great beasts, very gentle and generally do as they are bid. Because of their size they may not be forced. Usually they grow close to their owners and will defend them vigorously at need. To introduce someone new, someone whom the owner trusts and that the beast may know to trust as well, that is what we do."

"I see, but I do not know you and you do not know me. We have never met before... have we?"

He smiled. "Mistress, you came from the river and I have never been on the water in my life. No, we have never met before and that is why I do not know why this has happened."

Ursula's arm had completely dried now and she rubbed it thoughtfully. "I have noticed that other dranakhs have taken an interest in me but nothing like this." She shrugged. "Yet another mystery for a woman who travels strange lands. Thank you for your time and the explanation."

He bowed. "For such as you, Mistress, of course."

The man turned and went back behind his stall. Shaking her head Ursula returned to the business at hand.

"What happened then, Mistress?"

"I'm not sure, Kaldara, but maybe Bennet can explain when we return to the hostel. It is something that happens here that I was not aware of."

"Nor me, Mistress. What do you think of this hat? Is it too big, do you think?"

"It is similar to the ones we have so should do for keeping the sun off." Ursula stopped, just about to ask about other hats, then realizing that other hats would likely be male styles. Later. "Um, you could have another smaller one if you want. That one might blow about in the wind when we're on the river."

"As you say, Mistress."

"Mistress," Tyra suggested, "if you would ask for some extra ribbon. We might not have enough."

"Mistress?" the stall holder attracted her attention. "If I might suggest, your maid spoke of wearing the hats on the river. If that is so, I could offer some thin tape which may serve better than ribbon. Ribbon is better if you should be visiting in the town, perhaps, but for the river a tape would be more robust."

"A good idea, Master Komer."

The deal was done and coin exchanged just as the clock tower in the market place struck a bell before noon.

"Mistress, by the time we return to the hostel and refresh ourselves it will be lunchtime."

Ursula nodded. "Bennet? Anything else we might need? Then lead the way."

On the walk back to the hostel Ursula began to feel slightly odd. The colors of everything around her looked strange somehow and she was definitely feeling light-headed. By the time they reached the hostel she headed directly for the bathing block and poured some water over her head to try to clear her thoughts.

"Mistress? Are you all right?"

Ursula smiled at Tyra through her dripping hair. "I think so. We've been out in the sun this morning and, while we found hats for Kaldara, neither of us thought to wear our own. I should be all right after some food and our nap."

There was concern in the maid's eyes. "I hope so, Mistress, but I wonder if you may have caught something from that beast."

Ursula was surprised by the observation. "That just never occurred to me, Tyra. I hope not! We have had enough delays and complications on this voyage already!"

"As you say, Mistress. Do you need help drying your hair?"

"It is warm enough that it should dry quickly, I think. We could go and find a brush from our chests, that may help it along. I wonder where Her Highness is?"

"I know not, Mistress, but she will be sure to join you at table."

"Of course. Lead the way, Tyra."

* * *

Ursula rolled over, groaning. Her mouth felt as if it were full of wool and she suspected that she might have been dribbling in her sleep. She dragged herself into a sitting position and looked around their chamber through slitted eyes. This chamber had shutters rather than drapes and they let harsh beams of bright afternoon sunlight leak around the edges, making her squint. Only one other person was in the room, sitting upright in her bed, her back against the headboard, watching her closely.

"Unh. What time is it?" she groaned. "Where are the others?"

"Mistress, it is about the eighth bell," Tyra replied quietly. "As far as I know Her Highness took the others down to the ship. You seemed to be deeply asleep so she said to leave you until you woke. Do you feel any better?"

Ursula stretched and then ran her fingers through her hair. "I'm not sure. Despite appearances I do not think I slept well. There were -" She winced at a tangle. "I've had some very strange dreams today. I don't know what might have caused them."

"Is it because of what happened before lunch, Mistress?"

Ursula bodily dragged her consciousness back into the foreground and considered. "I don't know. Maybe it was the sun, but we have had hot days before. Maybe it was something I ate. There were those mushrooms we had at breakfast..."

Her voice trailed off as her thoughts began to analyze the potential problem.

Mushrooms! I doubt very strongly that they cultivate edible fungi in this world yet. Somebody probably went out before dawn and picked them. I wonder if something... psychotropic got in among them?

I remember that restaurant in Paris. It was all supposed to be 'wild' food and it really did taste good, but a bad mushroom gave us all trips for hours. Perhaps it is like that?

She gave Tyra a small smile. "I'm the healer so I should be able to work out what is wrong with me. If it was bad food then the effects should wear off after a while. Did you or any of the others notice anything wrong?"

"Nobody has mentioned it while I was around, Mistress. If it was something we ate, then I would think somebody else would have had effects like yours."

"Hmm. That only leaves the dranakh, doesn't it? I wonder what diseases they carry."

"But, Mistress, as the man said the custom has been carried on for very many years. If it caused such trouble they might not do it."

"That is true, Tyra, but of course I am a stranger here from somewhere else entirely. I might be more susceptible to such things than a local person who has lived with these animals all their life."

"As you say, Mistress. Do you feel well enough to rise, or should I call for someone?"

"No." She yawned. "I'll be fine. Let us go and see if anyone has a pot of pel brewed downstairs."

Tyra grinned. "The best medicine of all, Mistress!"

* * *

On board the Visund the crew were engaged in a number of different activities, most resulting in small seated groups. One such group was seated amidships, engaged in reinforcing a worn part of the sail which was threatening to split at some future inconvenient time. Others were cleaning or sharpening weapons, mending clothing or footwear or just engaged in some friendly chat. Two were using brushes to varnish worn parts of the woodwork while another two were using sand-stones to remove potential splinters from the handles of oars.

Another group included Kaldar, who was sitting with them near the bow and watching with amazement. The men had taken the remaining leftovers of cloth and spread them out on the planks of the pontoon, measuring and cutting pieces sized to fit him before bringing the material back on board and beginning to sew the parts together.

"But I did not know that you could sew! Surely that is women's work?"

"Is different when on sea," Brodgar explained. "Usually no women on ship, if clothing is torn or worn, we do it ourselves. See, sail needs mending, clothes do too. Most can make simple tunic, trouser if needed."

"So all that needlework I was forced to learn will not be wasted, then?"

The sailor grinned at the disguised girl/boy. "If you good, then you probably get clothes of others to mend. You have small fingers, not like big clumsy sailors. Use needle easily. Should not do it, Captain will say no, each should do own."

"That is a relief." Kaldara looked at Brodgar shyly. "But I would not mind, if there is not too much work."

"Boy," Vynil cautioned. "One lesson you learn. Never put hand up for anything! Enough happen in your life, you do not want more."

"As you say... Vynil?"

He nodded. "Yah. You learn names real quick. Good."

At the stern another group approached Eriana, who had just finished discussing the next day's route with Hashim.

«Highness, can you spare us a word?»

«Of course, Torvin.» She looked at the five men. «What is it? You look serious.»

«The child. We do not disagree with his presence aboard, Highness. We think you are right to have rescued him.» Torvin grimaced. «That is our problem, Highness. How sure are you that he is a boy? To see him there, learning ship-craft with Brodgar, it seems to me that he could be nothing but a girl! Yet yesterday, when we took him aboard, I did not know if he were boy or girl. We accept all your commands, Highness, as we should, but we seek to understand this thing.»

Eriana nodded. «I understand what you say, Torvin. I would be a bad leader if I made decisions that you did not understand.»

Torvin held up a hand. «Highness, you are cleverer than most of us. We have no complaint if there are things you say or do that are beyond us. The matter of the child is different. We feel - most of the crew feel - that if he is to travel with us we must understand who we are traveling with. A child that looks like a girl but wants to become a boy can be a cause for confusion, embarrassment - and danger.»

She smiled. «Torvin, if you think that I am cleverer than you, you are mistaken! I have just had the benefit of a better education, that is all. There are many things some of you can do that I would not even attempt to do. I could not sail this ship, to start with. Oh, I have spent much time on the ocean, as you are all aware, but I do not know all the details of the sailor's craft. I am learning, it is true, but I still have a great deal to learn.

«Let us talk of the child, then. You all know that those who came from the mother world have been changed from boy to girl, as Garia was, from woman to man as Maralin was and from man to woman as Ursula was. Those who brought them here - the same people who long ago brought our ancestors from the mother world to Anmar, did so not by magic but by machines that even Garia does not understand. Garia has told me that those machines do not work properly every time they are used and so some people come out the other way, if you understand me.

«Now for Garia and for Maralin the change was unwanted. Both of them have adapted, they had no choice in the matter, and it seems to me they have adapted well. But Ursula had no need to adapt, as she was already a woman inside before she left the mother world. You know as I do that there are people like Ursula in Jotlheim, people who say, quietly, that they are born into the wrong body.» The five nodded. «Ursula was like that. On the mother world she had the body of a man but has always thought that she should have been a woman.»

She shook her head. «Garia tried to explain it to me once but she said that even she did not know all of it. Let me see. The seed of a man goes into a woman and a child is born, yes? But a seed is only half the information that makes a new baby. The other half comes from the mother. Everyone has two copies of this information, one from their father and one from their mother. The two copies are not the same and sometimes this can cause trouble. Remember Erik Ten-fingers? He has an extra one on each hand because of a problem with the information that grew him inside his mother.

«Obviously, part of that information has to decide whether to make a boy child or a girl child. I did not understand what Garia told me about this. The point is, I believe, that once the decision is made changes happen to the baby as it grows inside, different changes if it is to be a boy, different to those for a girl. But the changes to parts of the body of the child happen at different times to the changes to the brain.» Eriana tapped her head.

«Normally everything happens as it should but, if there is a problem, or perhaps a conflict, then someone like Ursula or Kaldar may be the result. Ursula tells me that such people have an intense feeling from very young that something is wrong, sometimes even before they can speak properly. They can be so miserable as they grow up that some even take their own lives to end the pain. I believe that Kaldar is one of those people. Ursula, who understands the problem too well, will try to fix Kaldar's body so that it will more closely resemble that of a man. But it will all take time.»

Torvin said, «Highness, I did not know that being a baby and growing up was so complicated! You have shown us that Kaldar is a special child and we will take great care of him, I swear it.» The others murmured agreement. «Yet Princess Garia knows all this? Is she really of the mother world or is she of the Æsir?»

«I have often wondered that myself. I think not, but those who brought her here, those who brought our ancestors here, I would name them Æsir even if they are not as our sagas describe. They certainly have the powers to do what they did. As for Garia, she is what the people of this world will be in two hundred years time. She shows us what will be. Our descendants will have such powers that we would think them Æsir as well.»

«To be alive in such days! Captain, we will bother you no more. Come, lads, I see Tor needs help getting that sail stowed.»

The men nodded and turned. Eriana saw movement on the pontoon and smiled. Somehow she always felt better when Ursula was nearby. The healer and her maid climbed carefully down into the ship, aided by nearby crew. By the time they were on board Eriana had moved to greet them.

"Ursula! How do you feel now?"

She gave a small smile. "Better, thank you, Highness." A frown. "My sleep could have been better, though, I had some weird dreams." A shake of the head. "I could not describe anything of them to you, though."

"Have you thought what it might be?"

"Either something we ate, but if that were so then others, such as yourself, would have been affected as well. The only other idea I had was a strange meeting we had in the market before lunch."

"Which meeting? The Councilwoman or the dranakh?"

"The dranakh. It might have been carrying something, a disease or," a shrug, "I don't know."

As she led them aft Eriana spoke slowly. "Ursula, I have been thinking about what you told me over lunch. I believe that it might be the dranakh. Now you know that we have little to do with those beasts in Einnland, it is too cold, but I have seen them in action since arriving in the Great Valley." She gestured to empty places on a bench. "Here, sit down and hear my words."

"Highness."

Eriana settled herself on a facing bench. "Garia told me of two things that happened to her concerning dranakhs. There may be others. She said that, while they were fighting an armed gang many marks from her base in Blackstone, the dranakhs of her party, who had been grazing above the town, appeared later just before two ptuvils arrived. They had traveled about nine marks since the battle and they could not have known about the ptuvils.

"From this she thought that the great beasts might have some powers she named telepathy, which she said means the reading of minds. Dranakhs are known to anticipate the desires of their owners, presenting themselves without being asked. I have seen this myself on several occasions."

"Telepathy?"

Eriana grinned. "I do not know what is meant by that word, Ursula. I do not think, with such great beasts, that it means you could hold a conversation with one. I think that it is more that it may be able to pick out the intentions of its owner's mind before he has put them into words. Does that make any sense?"

Ursula considered this and then nodded. "They can obviously do something, Highness."

"So, the second thing happened after the next battle they fought. On their way back to the palace, on the road away from South Slip, which is the ferry port across the Sirrel from Dekarran, they were set upon by large numbers of those of Yod. After the battle they were too few, too tired and had too many injured to manage and yet someone must needs go for help. Garia thought to tie her sash and that of Prince Keren to a dranakh's harness. Both had blood stains but not of their own blood. Then she put her hand on its head and thought of what she wanted it to do... and it immediately did it. It went off back to the ferry port and the message was plain enough for all to understand."

"I am astonished. Highness, I never considered anything like that... But this is Anmar and what you have just told me could easily be possible. You think one of them might be trying to talk to me somehow?"

Eriana grinned again. "You are the one they want to speak to, Ursula. You tell me!"

"But why me?"

The Princess shrugged. "I do not know. Perhaps it is because you come from another world, perhaps something else. Let me know what you find out."

"Of course, Highness."

* * *

There was a surprise visitor at the hostel after the evening meal.

Eriana asked the female servant, "Who did she ask for? How did she name herself?"

"Your Highness, she asked for the healer in your party. Her name is Kylina, she is a member of the Town Council."

Eriana turned to Ursula who replied, "She was the one who ran the stall where we bought -" she thought fast, "- some extra tie-sided panties today. She told us she was a Councilwoman. Perhaps it was about Denethar, we mentioned him in passing."

Ursula's look stopped Eriana from asking further questions. Instead the Princess turned to the servant. "If she may join us, we are all decent."

"As you desire, Your Highness."

Kylina knocked on the door a short time later. Bennet let her in and she curtseyed awkwardly to Eriana.

"Your Highness, I have two reasons to come here tonight. Firstly, after the mistress had gone I thought about the young girl and realized that she had no nightwear." She held up a small bundle. "Here are two nightgowns of a suitable size for her. If you would accept them with my compliments."

"Mistress Kylina, I will accept them on behalf of young Kaldara but I will pay what you are owed. If you must needs buy and sell to survive, aye, and sew garments as well, then I would not have you go hungry on my account. How much?"

"Highness, you are gracious. A Fenik is all I would ask."

Eriana paid the coin herself before asking, "And the second matter?"

"Highness, I learned that your ship departs tomorrow for the city of Yod and I would offer advice."

"What advice?"

"That you and your crew should wear uniforms when you arrive, Your Highness. Yod is a land in conflict and, though there are troops from other lands there to keep the peace, the situation can become difficult. I learned that you and your crew have uniforms, I saw your swordswoman in the marketplace today," she pointed at Bennet, "and I would suggest that your colors may serve to deter anyone who seeks mischief to you and your people."

"Rather than appear attired as travelers, you mean?"

Kylina nodded. "It is as you say, Highness. Travelers might be seen as an easy target for robbers, Your Highness, but uniforms will tell them that a strong lord is behind you."

"And so he is, Mistress Kylina. Your information is worth payment, I deem, if it keeps trouble away from us."

Eriana searched through the coin pouch she had just used and handed over a coin.

"A Palarandi Crown? Your Highness, this is too much!"

"You have been of service to those of Palarand, Mistress Kylina. If you do not want to keep it all then put the rest into a fund for the poor."

Kylina curtseyed low. "As you command, Your Highness."

Eriana stood. "I would offer you something more valuable, Mistress Kylina. Wait you there until I fetch something."

She walked into their communal dressing chamber.

Ursula took the opportunity to ask, "Mistress, have you had time to mention Denethar to the Council?"

"Mistress, I have, but investigating him might be difficult. I do not know who he trades with, legally or illegally, or how many might take his coin. I can only speak with those I trust." She held up a hand. "If and when you return to Tobeligo, Mistress, I might have answer for you."

"That was all I wanted to know, Mistress."

When Eriana returned she had a piece of folded parchment in her hand. "Mistress Kylina, I have heard of your interest in our attire. Accept this document signed by myself and my aide Lord Kalmenar of Palarand, on behalf of those of Palarand, which entitles you to produce and to sell skirts which contain box pleats anywhere within the writ of Tobeligo law."

"Your Highness, I shall remember your kindness always. If those of Tobeligo may be of service to you at some future time, you have only to ask."

"Thank you, Mistress. And now we must retire, we have an early start."

"Then I should bid you all good-night. Your Highness."

Kylina curtseyed again and let herself out of the chamber.

up
165 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thanks as always!

I binged SEE a few years back and it's always a great day when a new chapter comes. Thanks for sharing it with us!

an unusual connection

definitely strange. hopefully not a threat.

DogSig.png

Questions not asked and omissions

Dear Penny,

Ursula’s interest was piqued by a design pattern on clothing but never followed up with an inquiry. It may have led to additional questions about their origins.

What ever happened to the “free” for the asking bra patterns, Garian numbers and forks?

Thank you for the chapter. It’s pleasant surprise as usual.

Time constraints

LibraryGeek's picture

Arrive, shop, stay overnight, some brief business, then leave town.

Somehow, try as I might, I don't see any time for giving explanations of Garian Numbers, providing patterns with explanations as to their use, etc.

It's a voyage of exploration on the part of the core of the future naval forces, not one directed at spreading knowledge at every stop.
When it happens that they end up having the time to do so as a result of other considerations, they do spread knowledge, but they don't halt their voyage to do so if there are no other reasons for delay.

Rainy season happens, remember; there is a significant portion of the year where no one can travel by river, so they have to maximize the exploration they do while they can so travel.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

A good chapter

A good chapter answers questions and leaves one questioning and wanting more.

This was a good chapter.

Much Love,

Valerie R

Appendices updated

As usual, I have updated the background stuff with the new names in the Index and the new chapter links and so on. Sorry it took a while, but all that is difficult to do whilst driving up and down the country!
:-)

Ursula Is Now

joannebarbarella's picture

Connected into the community of the dranakhs. I think she will receive assistance from them in the future. It's rather like being vaccinated! That's my guess anyway.

So,

Ursula is a newly wakened telepath it seems.

Ursula

If you ask me, her experiences vaguely remind me of a certain key character who one day was greeted by 'Greetings Hatchling'.

Now if Dranakh are key to enhancing that possibility, oh boy.

All good dranakh go to .....?

Wild speculation,, yes, I know.