The Voyage of the Visund -35-

Printer-friendly version

As the epic Battle of Boldan's Rock had resulted in some unavoidable casualties, Eriana feels obliged to return there with her men to pay their respects. With every Einnlander aboard, as well as Ursula and Tyra, the Visund crosses the Sirrel to the scene of the second, more bloody, battle. But since that time Eriana has matured and now views her earlier decisions in a different light.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

35 - At Gylfi's Rest


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The question the following morning was an age-old one.

"Mistress, what shall you wear today?"

Ursula sighed. "I do not know, Tyra. I have no idea what is going to happen today. Tell me, do you think that Her Highness has planned something formal? If it is to be as warm today as it was yesterday, I would prefer to wear a ship dress, but if this ceremony is going to be formal..."

She left the implication hanging, that she would have to wear a decent day gown instead and put up with the heat.

"Mistress, I have no idea what has been planned - assuming anything has been planned at all. I probably know less of the customs of those of Einnland than you do." Tyra hesitated, then added, "I am unsure why Her Highness has the need to visit this place. Do you?"

"Perhaps. On Earth, if one were to pass the place where a battle had once been fought, many would pause for a moment and reflect on what had happened there, particularly if the battle had been recent. Particularly if one had been involved, of course. Like yourself, I do not know the customs of the Einnlanders, not really. I don't know Valley custom either, as it happens." She came to a decision. "A ship dress, I think. Perhaps that darker gray one? The color looks a little more formal but it will keep me cooler - and doesn't make me look like part of the crew, which is what happened yesterday."

"As you wish, Mistress." Tyra regarded the contents of the chest. "Though you have a reasonable selection, I deem, there will not be a great variety of choice should the voyage be a long one."

"True, but this is a problem faced by all travelers, Tyra. Fortunately those who see us later on will not know what has been worn earlier in the journey, so I can repeat dresses and gowns more often than I might do normally. We just have to make sure they are all clean enough."

"As you say, Mistress. Since the Visund remains in Forguland for a small while, I will see if I may make use of the palace laundry, by your leave."

"Of course, Tyra. There's no sense in making more work for ourselves, especially when we don't know what we will be doing most of the time."

"As you say, Mistress. What of your Healer's basket and bag? Do you think that those will be needed today?"

Ursula shook her head. "No idea. We can ask Her Highness when we see her at breakfast."

* * *

"If I may join you this morning, Highness."

Major General Gwilli stood at attention in front of Eriana immediately after the breakfast tables had been cleared.

"General," she replied with a small nod. "You may of course come with us but I cannot promise you a comfortable ride. The Visund is a ship of commerce and conflict and was not designed for passengers."

"I understand that, Highness, but the journey is a short one and I am, after all, a man of war. I am used to the hardship of traveling rough and, indeed, sleeping and eating where I may."

Eriana gave a faint smile. "As am I, General. If I may ask, will there be any problem today? I understand that the farther shore - pardon me, the farther bank - is accounted Ferenis. Should I have asked permission before crossing?"

Gwilli waved a hand. "No, no, Highness. At the moment there are all manner of sundry troops and equipment, from many countries, traveling that route in both directions, since the road that those of Yod built has been used to transfer them upvalley. We of Forguland are also permitted rights of access to the fortress, of course. In any event, I doubt that your welcome today will be aught but sincere and warm."

"As you say, General."

"If I may ask, what is it you desire to do there?"

Eriana's face was closed. "Me and my men are bound by close ties, General, as you must know. Oaths, aye, but all are friends and we have shared many dangers, though I will add that the attack on Boldan's Rock and the business on the wharves below are the worst that any of us will have faced." She gave a silent sigh. "We lost old friends and sturdy companions that day, General. Since we must needs remove ourselves from the field so soon we were not able to make our customary farewells to those men. That is what we intend to do today. I assume that we will be permitted to do that? If not, we will make other arrangements."

"I would think that there will be no problem, Highness. I strongly doubt that those of Ferenis will object either, whatever you intend."

Ursula joined the pair. "Highness."

"Ursula." Eriana eyed Ursula with approval. "If I had thought to mention it last night, I would have suggested that you should not choose a day gown this morning, I see that you have chosen wisely. If I may introduce Major General Gwilli, Director of the Forguland Military Command. He has asked to join us today and, as a representative for Forguland, he is welcome."

Ursula nodded to the General. "General."

Eriana continued her introductions. "Ursula joined the Visund on our journey upstream, General. She is from a distant land and is traveling, as the Visund is, to visit the different lands of the Great Valley. In Joth she is accounted a Healer of some repute."

Gwilli clicked his heels and bowed. "Mistress Ursula, good morning. I see that you also wear a new style of lightweight summer attire." He turned to Eriana. "Is this some new design from Palarand? They seem to be the source of much else that is new."

Eriana smiled. "No indeed, General! You show know that this design comes from Joth and is the idea of Tenant Maralin, based on similar styles from his own homeland. The summer uniform my men wear is also designed by him."

"Do you tell me? That is interesting. Tell me -"

Eriana held up a hand. "General, we have already had this conversation! Concerning both this design, which for obscure reasons is named a 'ship dress', and that of the uniform of my men, Maralin has already made known to His Grace that attire of a similar cut may be freely reproduced in Forguland, and indeed in any other land that desires so."

"Indeed? Then I will observe yourself and your men today, that I may see how effective they are in the heat of summer. By your leave, of course."

"Of course, General. If our men are to fight, it is best that they be comfortable while they do it."

There was a pause so Ursula asked, "Highness, will I be needing my medical basket today?"

"I could not say, Ursula. I do not think so, but if it is not too much trouble to bring -"

"Then I will bring it, Highness."

Sildenar joined the group. "As I mentioned yesterday eve, I regret that I cannot join you, Eriana. Gwilli, are you going?"

"Aye, Your Grace, and, by your leave, I will go as your representative."

The Duke nodded approval. "Good. Eriana, do you go seek your men? Gwilli will show you the gate nearest their hostel. Do you yet know what time will you return? I ask merely that Cook will know how many to account for lunch."

"Probably not for lunch, Sildenar. Later today, I deem."

"If you will be away for lunch, I will tell you that there will be several places across the river where your party may find food and drink." He paused. "If you will forgive me, I must needs look out some packets to give to Maralin before he departs. I will see you both this afternoon."

"Sildenar."

"Your Grace."

As Sildenar turned away Gwilli said, "Highness, if you are ready, we may depart to fetch your men."

"Aye, of course. We will require a moment to fetch items from our chambers, by your leave."

Gwilli waited a short while at the foot of the broad flight of steps leading to the upper floor. When the women returned, Eriana had her broadsword ready in the baldric over her shoulder while Bennet and Semma were straightening their sword belts. Ursula carried her basket of remedies while Tyra had the customary maid's satchel of items of a feminine nature.

Gwilli's eyebrows rose. "So it is true, then." He addressed the guardswomen. "Tell me, have either of you two yet used those swords in anger? I know that Her Highness has but she is of a different mold, I deem."

Bennet answered for the two of them. "Sir, neither of us has yet had occasion to blood our swords, though we came close in Virgulend. Be assured that we are both well trained, though, and are prepared to use them as required."

"Virgulend! What transpired there? Bandits?"

Eriana explained shortly, "Jarwin. We chanced to find an overnight stop where he was visiting nearby. It was an unpleasant incident."

"Jarwin? Maker! I trust there was no injury to any?"

Eriana and the girls looked at each other before the Princess replied, "Not exactly. General, if we find time later today I will recount for you the whole sorry business."

"Well! This is unexpected. You will understand that we of Forguland, like any other, prefer to keep an eye and an ear open for information about our neighbors, in case trouble arises."

Eriana showed her teeth. "There will be no trouble this time, General. For the insult he gave to Wallesan, Jarwin has been forbidden forever from entering Joth."

"Do you tell me? That is news indeed. Well, we should not stand here blocking the corridor. If you would all follow me."

Gwilli led them along the wide and busy corridor, past the entrance lobby and along another corridor which turned at the side of the building. Soon they came to a smaller side entrance. Nodding to the guards there he led the group across the wide space towards a small gate in the side wall. Like the others it had been patched up many times over the centuries but the lintel over the gate was the original one, though badly chipped. There was an inscription on the lintel and all looked up to see it.

Eriana turned. "Ursula, is that what Maralin spoke of? Can you read it?"

"I can, Highness," Ursula replied, "and it sends shivers down my spine. I do not speak the language they used but I can more or less tell you the words. The Second Legion of Chivanus, or something like that."

"So it is true, then," Gwilli murmured. "This compound was built by the Chivans. We had always suspected it, but it was not until Maralin came that we had any proof, and you have confirmed that it is true. If I may ask, Mistress, Second and Chivanus I may understand but what is a Legion?"

"General, the standard military unit of the Romans - you call them the Chivans here, I understand, after their leader - is a Legion, which I suppose is roughly equivalent perhaps to one of your regiments." Ursula had a thought. "Ah, you do have regiments here, General?"

"Aye, we do, Mistress," he said as they walked through the gate. "Can you tell me what number of men it may have been?"

She shook her head. "I have no idea, general. I do know that it is probably many hundreds, possibly thousands, and that a legion would consist not just of the fighting men but everyone else as well, from the cooks, healers and other trades to specialists who could erect roads, buildings and probably the wall we have just walked through. It was designed to be completely self contained on campaign."

"Ah, I see. Of course that is not how we do things these days. Are you familiar with the Chivans, ah, what did you name them?"

"Romans. They had a very large empire..." Ursula suddenly remembered that Gwilli might not know about anyone's off-world origins. "...across the ocean and more than a thousand years ago. I'm sorry, I know very little more than the odd fact."

"Ah." Gwilli nodded. "I have a small interest in military history, as it happens, and I would be interested to learn more if I could."

Ursula thought. "I am sorry, General, I don't know of anyone else who might be able to help you."

Eriana said, "Garia told me that she could read the words, as Ursula can, but does not know the language either. Mayhap one day your curiosity will be satisfied, General, but not today, I deem."

"As you say."

They crossed the busy boulevard and approached a large establishment that was also walled.

Gwilli said, "I don't know if you already know this, Highness, Mistress, but because the danger of Yod is ever present we have long had hostels and barracks for troops of friendly lands who may be passing through. This is one such. In recent times we have also used them for refugees from Ferenis escaping the most recent outrage. Highness, your men are in here and I may tell you that they will be well cared for."

The gate guards recognized the General and let the party enter. In the large courtyard in the center of the hostel the Norsemen were busy doing Tai Chi, with presumably some of the other guests watching from one side with interest. A few of the less able Norse stood near one of the buildings, keeping an eye on a pile of weapons. One of these spotted the newcomers and nudged, pointed. Soon enough Lars, who was leading the exercise, turned and saw them.

«It is the Captain! Men, enough! It is time to go and pay our respects to our friends.»

He clapped his hands and the array of men broke, most heading to retrieve their weapons. Lars made for Eriana.

"Captain."

"Good morrow, Lars. Are the men ready to leave?"

"When they have collected weapons, Captain." His gaze went to Gwilli. "I remember you... Sir... but I forget name."

Eriana said, "This is Major General Gwilli, who is the senior officer of the Forguland Military Command. General, my second in command Lars."

"Ah," Lars said with recognition. "You were there with troops when we had burning for dead."

"As you say, Commander," Gwilli confirmed. "If I may say, we were all in awe at what such a small group of men had managed to do. We are all pleased to see you and your men here in Forguland again, Commander, and under better circumstances."

"Thank you, Sir."

The men had collected their weapons and were now clustering around the group, most busily buckling belts and settling weapons in them.

«Hey! It is Ursula and Tyra!»

«They are coming with us? It is good!»

«Who is that local? He looks too old to be a fighter.»

Eriana turned on them. «Settle down now! This is Major General Gwilli, he commands Forguland's forces for Duke Sildenar. I have no doubt that he has seen battle in the past, when he was younger, but now His Grace has need of the General's wisdom rather than his sword arm.» She added, «He commanded the troops who came to our aid at the end of the second battle, the one down by the river. He, and the men who came with him, are worthy of our respect.»

Several throats shouted, «Captain!»

The Princess gazed around. "Is everyone ready? Then let's go! General, if you would lead the way."

They walked back out of the compound and turned right to follow the boulevard back to the junction at the corner of the palace walls. From there Gwilli led them back they way they had originally walked from the wharves the previous day. Eriana and Gwilli led the procession while Bennet, Semma, Ursula and Tyra walked together behind. The men followed, but the arrangement was casual.

Eriana's legs were long and Gwilli was used to marching so the pace was faster than that of the previous evening. Ursula did not mind, it was a good way to get her blood flowing. Behind, the men's footsteps soon adjusted into the same cadence. Within a short while someone had started singing and the rest immediately joined in. Within another short while Ursula's ears were red and her face was flaming.

"Mistress?"

The men were, of course, singing in Norse.

"Uh... um..."

She tried to make herself heard above the singing, which actually sounded much better than she had imagined a random group of large hairy warriors would manage. The problem was, of course...

"The song is extremely crude, Tyra. Thank your stars that you do not speak their language."

"Oh! Mistress, I understand. Does it upset you?"

"Not really. I heard just as bad when I was in the army... in that other place. But here I am a woman and the song is about men doing things to women." She listened some more. "To which, if you would believe the words, the women are enjoying."

"Men!"

"Always, Tyra."

Eriana turned her head. "Ursula, if it distresses you, I can ask them to stop."

"It is fine, Highness. It just took me by surprise."

The Princess smiled. "As you wish. I would not wish to cause you discomfort. Although I may not always agree with the songs they sing, I am content that they do sing sometimes. It helps to show that they are in good spirits for what might lay ahead."

"As you say, Highness."

Ursula learned the words to three more songs before they reached the ramps leading down to the wharf where the Visund was moored. The rhythm was broken as they went down the ramps and, besides, there was too much other noise from those already working on other vessels.

Waiting for them at the Visund, under the lowered brows of two port officials and a squad of armsmen, were the three Norsemen who now resided in Forguland. They were by themselves this time and Radwan was supported by crutches instead of the wheeled chair from the previous day. Also waiting was a four-wheeled wagon and dranakh, the cargo being four large barrels.

"Radwan? You will manage on those?"

"Yah, Captain."

She jerked a thumb at the wagon. "Is that for us?"

"Yah, Captain," Radwan said again and Lukku added, "Captain, it was the least we could do."

"Very well." Eriana frowned then. "There was another man injured and left behind, I recall. What happened to him?"

The three looked uncomfortably at one another. "Captain, of course you speak of Dakig," Lukku replied. "He told us his wound was but a scratch and, indeed, it seemed to us that he healed more quickly."

Radwan took up the story. "Then, Captain, one day he began putting his things in a dunnage bag and we asked him what he was doing. He told us that he had an idea which he would explain later, but that it meant he must needs lodge elsewhere."

Matz completed the tale. "Captain, that was the last any of us have seen of him."

Eriana scowled. "Dakig! I wonder what he has gotten himself into." She shook her head and turned to the officials. "If we may board our ship now." It was not a request.

The two sized her up, noting the broadsword, and then turned to the well-known figure beside her.

Gwilli asked, "Is there a problem, boys?"

"Ah, no, Sir. It was just that these three appeared with this wagon and said they were part of the crew, but they don't look like these other men to me."

"That is because they were all three injured in the assault of Boldan's Rock and remained in Forguland to convalesce and recover." His tone became implacable. "Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand is taking her men, aboard her ship, to pay her respects to those men of her regiment who did not survive the battle."

"Sir! As you say, Sir. It was a misunderstanding, Sir."

"Then if you would stand aside. I believe that those barrels must needs be loaded on board the ship before we may sail."

"I'll find some men to operate the derrick, Sir."

Most of the Norsemen followed Ursula, Bennet, Semma and Tyra onto the ship, thus leaving the wharf cleared for local workers to begin transferring the four barrels into the hull. Eriana and Gwilli stayed on the wharf to observe the loading operation, along with the two officials.

Tor asked, "Captain, where shall we put them? The weight must be spread or we'll bend in two."

"Aye." Eriana thought a moment. "How about, all along the center line," she pointed, "there, there, there and there?"

Tor nodded. "Good enough. We'll need to shift the kitchen equipment. Can I tow the praam and put the kitchen gear in it?"

"Yes, do that."

The ship's small boat was manhandled over the side and secured to the stern, loaded with the cooking gear. With the aid of the dockside lifting gear, the barrels were soon positioned to everyone's satisfaction.

One of the officials turned to Eriana. "Highness -"

She cut him off. "While I attend my ship I am merely the owner and Captain, nothing more. You may address me so. We are about to depart, is there some procedure I must follow, some document I must needs sign?"

The man held up a hand. "My apologies, uh, Captain. There are no formalities for your departure today. Merely to say, here is your pilot for today's journey."

"Pilot?" She raised an eyebrow. "To cross a river?"

Gwilli intervened. "Captain, of course all who use this stretch of the Sirrel frequently know it well and have no need for a pilot for such a crossing as this. However, you have never sailed here before, and with the Cauldron but two marks away, it would be prudent to take someone who knows the particulars of this crossing."

Eriana stared at the General before relenting. "Aye, General, you have the right of it. It is easy to forget that each stretch we pass has its own foibles and dangers." She turned to the other man. "You are?"

"Kayt, your, er, Captain."

"Then, Master Kayt, if you would go aboard that we may depart."

Gwilli followed Kayt onto the Visund while Eriana took one last look around before following them. Locals pulled the gangway back off the ship as Eriana beckoned to Kayt and led the way aft. Tor was already at his place holding the steering oar in a relaxed grip.

She turned to the pilot. "What must we do, pilot? I merely thought to swing out and sail upstream awhile before crossing."

Kayt nodded with approval. "Captain, that is exactly right. It is when you reach the other side that care must needs be taken."

"Very well." She hopped up onto the poop deck and called to the men. «Places, all! Brodgar, let go forward, we'll need to swing out first before we can let go behind. Men, gently push us away from the wharf with some oars, if you would. Ormund, Jorl, be ready to lift the yard. We'll need to let the sail take us upriver before we can swing across to the other side.»

Near the bow Ursula received a request. "Mistress?"

"Yes, go on."

Tyra scampered back to the mast and spoke to Ormund, who pointed to a rope. Others were ready with other ropes; the yard and sail together were not light but they had all done this many times before. As they swung out into the channel the yard was gradually lifted up the mast before tugs on several lines caused the sail to drop with a thump. It soon bellied out in the morning breeze and the Visund surged against the current.

Gwilli stood just forward of the poop deck and Eriana jumped down to join him. He nodded thoughtfully.

"A sparse design, I deem, yet spacious enough for all your men and supplies. The sail looks strange to my eyes, too. You tell me that ships like these customarily sail the oceans of Anmar? Incredible!"

"You are too kind, General. There is little wood about the shores of Einnland, and that of poor quality, that is why we build as we do... though I will say that this is said to be a traditional design. Aye, we have sailed the ocean beyond the Sirrel in the Visund, many times, though I would not claim that we could sail all the oceans of Anmar!"

"Perhaps I exaggerated, Captain, but you mentioned yesterday eve that one of the tasks of this new Navy is to chart the oceans of the entire world. Is that even possible? It is well known that in other parts there exist strange peoples, perhaps warlike, and even stranger monsters. Would you chance such a vessel as this in such waters?"

"No indeed, General! For that task we shall design a fleet of new ships, powered not by sail but by coal, and they shall be defended by new guns of immense size. If these prove not to be adequate for our explorations, know you that my crew, and others trained in a like fashion, will be aboard to make our point to whoever we may find residing on those distant shores."

"Indeed? Then I will await developments, Captain."

A thought came to Eriana and she turned to Kayt. "Pilot, are we likely to require the oars for this crossing?"

"Probably not, Captain. The wind blows one way, the current flows the other, between them you may not need oars at all, even when we reach the other side."

Avoiding a couple of small fishing boats, the Visund crept out of the channel and was on the wide Sirrel once more. The sun, this early in the day, was behind them, and the other shore was indistinct in the last few wisps of the morning mist. Eriana studied it without making much clear before shaking her head and turning her attention elsewhere.

"How far must we travel before we may cross?"

Kayt replied, "Captain, we must be well clear of the island and able to see other vessels clearly, should we need to maneuver around them. Perhaps two marks, three would be better."

The men seemed to be in good spirits this morning, Ursula thought.

They are going to pay their respects to their dead, so I was told. Of course, theirs is a warrior culture and they will not do things the way I was familiar with on Earth.

She had a thought. Norse! Warrior Gods, a hall of heroes, what was it called? Her eyes flickered down. Ah, now I understand those barrels! This trip could get... interesting.

I wonder if the locals will be offended by what is about to happen?

After a while the bow shifted and the Visund began to cross the Sirrel, still around two marks wide here. There was the usual bobbing as they crossed the main current and then they were into calmer water on the northern side.

"No! Captain, I am sorry, I should have explained. You must not turn here. If you may shorten sail and let the current take us down to where we want to go."

Eriana stared at Kayt. "You want us to drift down backwards? This is safe?"

"Captain, it is." Kayt looked doubtfully at the steering oar. "I do not know how easy it will be to keep your ship facing upriver. I have never traveled in one this size before, nor with such a method of steering."

"Tor?"

«I am not sure, Captain. I don't think I have ever sailed this way. Whenever we have moved in reverse, we have always had the oars out. I will have to think very carefully to find out which way to move the oar.»

For the moment, with the sail still full, they were heading upstream. Eriana shouted instructions forward and the yard was lowered halfway so that the sail could be partly furled. Soon, their forward motion ceased and the current began to take them back towards the junction. One problem immediately presented itself.

"Captain, the praam! What can we do?"

The praam had begun to swing back towards the Visund, threatening a collision.

"Steer as though turning left," Eriana decided. "That way it will come up against the left side and you can then correct our course."

"Captain."

Tor heaved the steering oar and the stern of the Visund moved away from the ship's small boat, which drifted up along the left side until it touched.

«Captain,» Ormund asked, «Shall I take the painter and walk the praam forward out of the way?»

«No,» she replied after a moment. «There is no point, we will be going forward again soon enough and it will be behind us again.»

Ormund nodded and walked back to the mast.

"Soon, Captain," Kayt said, "I will ask you to drop the sail again and for the ship to steer for the nearer bank. I am not sure how your sail will cope when the ship turns."

"It is no problem, pilot. We can sail with the wind on any quarter. I will ask for the yard to be swung round as you desire."

"Do you tell me? That is interesting news. Captain, if I may ask you sometime today about your sail. It has caused much talk in the Harbor Office at Forguland. We do not see many vessels with sails of that shape or hoisted that way."

"Indeed? Well, know you that we will remain in Forguland for some days, if we cannot manage a talk today then others may be possible."

"Captain, you are too kind."

Eriana stared at the northern wharf area as they drifted past. It looked nothing like it had when they had last seen it, but that was not surprising. Their only priority then had been to disable most of it so that those of Yod could not make use of it, which meant they had dismantled or destroyed most of the wharves and sunk many of the barges and small craft which had been moored there. Besides, the water level had been much higher then.

Now it looked strange. To her left and right were the customary tall piles with pontoons reaching out into the river, while between them was a curious construction that looked like a river-level fortress made of long vertical logs of wood. It stood up high and there were vessels moored at the foot of it.

"If you would turn now, Captain."

"Towards the pontoons? Will I need to shift the sail?"

"Not towards the pontoons, Captain, but you will need your sail to move towards the wharf," Kayt considered, then turned to look at the crew, "unless you care to make use of your oars instead."

"That is a wharf?" Eriana stared with disbelief at the construction, which looked higher than the Visund's mast. She also looked around, then decided to change her original plan. «Men! To your oars! We head toward that forest of trees!»

There was instant action as the oars were made ready. Tor called down, «Captain, should I order the sail to be stowed?»

«Do that. I do not think we will need it again before we leave.» To Kayt she asked, "What is the reason we may not use those pontoons? We have done so everywhere else we have been."

"Captain, normally I would agree with you, but today you carry heavy cargo." The pilot turned and pointed at the nearest of the barrels. "Removing those onto a pontoon would be just possible but awkward. The wharf has cranes on top to assist with unloading and loading such cargo."

Eriana looked at the constructions she now saw on top of the 'wharf'. "I thought those siege weapons, like those in the fortress."

Kayt studied the cranes. "Aye, I can see the resemblance, from a distance. They are but cranes which will make the work of unloading your barrels so much quicker."

"As you say." By now the Visund had drifted further downstream so Eriana spun to her steersman. «Steer us in, Tor. I know not how we will moor but it is there we need to go.»

«Captain. Here comes Lars to measure the beat.»

As the oars bit and began to overcome the current, Tor steered the Visund towards the wall of piles. As the ship approached it was apparent that these were whole trimmed tree trunks, spaced about two strides apart and held by cross-braces of large timbers. At each end, men could be seen working on these, adding to the construction.

"A lot of wood," she mused.

"Aye, Captain," Kayt responded. "A gift from Smordan to help in the war, originally, but the arrangement was so useful that it is being expanded as you can see."

"What holds it up?"

"Behind is a large outcrop of rock. That is why pontoons could not be placed there. This way, substantial cranes could be built on the rock, which would be usable whatever level the river was."

"I never noticed a rock when we were here before."

"It was covered by river deposits, Captain. When the river level lowered enough that the temporary wharves could be rebuilt, the rock was discovered as they excavated. Ah, Captain, you should moor facing upstream, since you must needs return by a similar route to the one by which you came."

Lars called for the oars to slacken off as the prow of the Visund approached the piles. Behind the vertical timbers were walkways at several levels, and behind those were stairways going up and down. There were men waiting as the ship approached head on, and one of them caught the thrown line, passed it around one of the piles and threw it back. Thus attached, the current naturally caused the ship's stern to swing round until they were lying alongside. Another thrown line secured the stern.

Others waiting on the walkways positioned short gangplanks between hull and walkway. Lars led the way off, then waited until most of the men had disembarked to begin filing up the stairways to the top. He nodded to Eriana and then followed. Ursula noted that only the true sailors were left aboard.

"Tor? Shall you see to the unloading of the barrels?"

«Of course, Captain, and then we will join you above. I am anxious to see where you and the others gained your great victory.»

Ursula noticed that Eriana's expression was not what she expected. There was a kind of sadness there.

«If this construction is any guide, I doubt we will recognize any of it. Still, this is the place, it is here that...» her voice faltered, «Sten and Gylfi fell.»

With that she turned without another word, ran down the Visund to the middle and leaped from the hull to the walkway, disappearing into the jumble of woodwork.

"Mistress?"

"Yes, Tyra. I suppose that we had better follow them."

"If I may, Mistress."

Ormund lent a gentle hand to ensure that Ursula gained the safety of the walkway. Moments later, Bennet, Semma and Tyra had joined her and she led them to the nearest stairs and began climbing. Inside the latticework of the piling it was cool and dark, so the contrast when she emerged from a slot in the upper decking made her squint against the glare.

The others were waiting for them, most staring about them in confusion.

Ursula asked, "Lars? What appears to be the problem?"

"Is a strange place, Mistress. Do not... recognize... anything."

There were heavy timbers covering the wharf area with two substantial fixed cranes near the river edge. There were stacks of substantial timbers at the west side, with men busy at work sawing and shaping them, while other men were handling sacks of what appeared to be cargo. A wagon was ready for the sacks but no dranakh or frayen could be seen.

At the rear the timbers smoothly transitioned to cobbles that reminded her of the Joth dockside. The road thus formed went back a long way before reaching a street which ran east and west. Facing the street was a row of booths, small shops and taverns with side streets indicating more development behind, the beginnings of a substantial town. At the rear, the Wall of the Great Valley sloped up steeply to the cliffs behind.

«What was here before, then?»

«Empty. Dirt. Wharves were here, all along, rough, quickly made by Yod, not like this. Of course, the river was much higher then. No buildings like that,» he jabbed a dismissive thumb at the taverns, «not even shacks. Down that end, where the enemy were, there might have been tents, their camp.» He grimaced. «It has only been one winter and already I forget. But we were not here many days, maybe three.»

She looked to her left, west, and saw more of the hastily thrown up wooden buildings. A wide and properly paved road led through them. Turning to her right, she eyed the bulk of Boldan's Rock looming over the immediate area, then spotted the narrow roadway leading down from the fortress to the town below, its lower end hidden behind some of the recent development.

Eriana, Gwilli and Kayt joined them.

Eriana remarked, "I am not surprised the men are confused. If I did not see the fortress up there I would think we had been brought to a completely different place."

"Aye, Highness," Gwilli agreed. "Once we had taken the area and secured it, it became apparent that it would provide an easier and safer route to transfer men and materials across the river to head forward to Yod. The growth of the town here is by chance, though. Men must needs drink, eat, sleep and replace worn belongings before they proceed, whether they be soldiers or river men. Those men rebuilding the wharves and pontoons also resided here, many still do. Thus, it was not long before such places as you see before you sprang into being. Welcome to Gylfi's Rest, Highness. The town has already grown since I was here two weeks ago."

"I am amazed! So much and in so short a time!"

Gwilli nodded. "War has that effect, Highness."

"This is what Garia told us in Palarand, but I could not believe it. Now it seems I must."

"As you say, Highness."

"What happens now?"

"Highness, we must wait for the barrels to be brought up. Kayt has already spoken to those who operate the cranes and he has also arranged for a wagon to transport the barrels once they are up."

A wagon, pulled by a dranakh, was even now turning from the street onto the way leading to the 'wharf', which Ursula now realized was actually the end face of a substantial pier reaching out into the river. As she swung to examine her surroundings, she saw that one of the cranes was already in action and a barrel rose into view as she watched. It was carefully deposited on the decking and the tackle sent below for another.

A group of uniformed men approached from the western end of the town. The man in the lead wore a diagonal sash while four of the remaining five were plainly rank-and-file soldiers. Gwilli saw them approach and waited.

"Gwilli."

"Kummin. Good morning. If I may introduce Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand. As you know she was the leader of the men who retook our fortress and then decided to venture down here. With her, as you can see," he spread his arm to encompass the group of men, "are all those who came with her that day and survived. With her also today are the men of her ship's crew who did not take part in the action that day, two companion women-at arms from the Royal Palace Guard of Palarand, Guardswomen Bennet and Semma, and also Mistress Ursula, a healer of some repute, with her maid, who both accompany Her Highness on her voyage upriver."

Kummin turned. "Squad, attend!" The men immediately formed a line and came to attention.

Gwilli turned to Eriana. "If I may present Under-Marshal Kummin of the Ferenis Defense Council who presently commands this outpost, it not yet being considered ready for a civilian appointment."

Kummin bowed low to Eriana. "Your Highness, I can truly say that we of Ferenis are delighted to see you and your men return, and you should know that you and your men, any of you, may come to this place at any time in the future to visit the memorial we have made concerning the actions that you and your men did and the sacrifices that were made. I know that you are continuing to Ferenis itself, but I will tell you now that, as in Forguland, you and your men will always be welcome in any part of Ferenis."

There were calls behind and Ursula turned to see one of the barrels being lifted onto the wagon.

Kummin turned to his men. "Spayter, take your men below and stand guard over Her Highness's ship while they are away."

"Sir?" The man looked uncertain, staring at the Norsemen and then at the other men working on the wharf.

"Quadrant," Eriana said then.

The man turned, surprised to be addressed. "Uh... Your Highness?"

"All my men are attired as these you see before you. Any you find below, or who descend attired that way, you may permit to board the Visund. No others." She added, "Oh, of course you should also recognize myself or the women in our party, we are all here, you may see how we are dressed."

The man gulped, "As you say, Your Highness."

He did not move but looked uncertainly at Kummin, who glared at him. "Well, what are you waiting for, man? Get below! The crew will want to come up and join their fellows!"

"Sir!"

The five trooped off towards the stairway down and Kummin sighed. "Nothing but trouble with that one."

Gwilli added, "Aye, I remember him now. Nearly lost us the battle, did he not?"

Kummin waved a hand. "The battle is over now, Gwilli. Let us get on. I see the cargo is nearly ready."

The dock workers were settling the third barrel on the wagon as the rest of the Norsemen came up from below. Most glanced at the wagon and its cargo before joining the party.

«Captain,» Tor reported, «It looks like some local troops are going to guard the Visund. Is that acceptable?»

«Tor, those are men sent by Under-Marshal Kummin here, the commander of this place, which I may remind you is considered part of Ferenis. I have told them who is permitted to board and who is not.» She scowled. «Though I have no trust in their officer. He seems incapable of independent thought." She shrugged. «No matter. Here we are among firm friends, as you will discover. If anyone should think to interfere with the ship, I think that retribution would be swift. They do not want to annoy us.» A small grin. «Especially after what we did when we were here before!»

She turned to Gwilli. "General, we are all here. Once the wagon is ready we may begin."

"As you say, Your Highness."

It was only a short while before the dranakh pulling the wagon joined them. Once again, Ursula felt that strange gaze from the beast and wondered what was going on.

I don't look particularly different from the others, I'm wearing similar clothes, why are these enormous beasts all taking an interest in me? Is it some kind of strange smell I have? I cannot think of another reason for this interest.

Three different countries now, and the dranakhs in all of them are interested in me. Why?

Gwilli said, "Well. Your Highness, if you and your men would follow us."

The two military men led the enlarged party along the cobbled walkway to the street and then turned left, going west. Ursula immediately saw a gap in the row of shacks to her right but thought little of it. After all, if this was a settlement thrown up in a hurry, there might be gaps in the construction. However, once they reached the gap it became apparent that the square of rough land was their destination.

"Highness," Kummin explained, "this was the site, if you recall, of that last barricade that you and your men erected that day. When we of Ferenis and Forguland came to develop the area as a temporary landing place, there was a reluctance to place or build anything here, it being considered unlucky to erase the signs of that desperate last stand.

"Accordingly, it remains much as it was then, although the barricades and traps have been removed for reasons of safety. The winter weather has smoothed much of what was left and the bloodstains and other marks have been washed away by the rain. Otherwise, little has changed, except that a memorial to the battle has been placed right at the back."

Eriana looked shocked. "G-General, we did not expect this. Our battles are remembered in ale and song, not hallowed ground and memorials."

"I wondered, Highness, since we were aware that those of Einnland might have had different customs. I remember the day that we held the pyres for your dead, some of your men were uneasy at what we were doing."

"Aye. It is not the way of Einnland, but the land of our birth now lies in the past, General. We have all made our oaths to Robanar and are sworn to him now, not to my father. Since we returned to Palarand following the battles most of my men now understand why your dead are burned rather than buried. It is an honorable custom, I deem, and practical in such lands as these."

"As you say, Highness. If you and your men would like to inspect the memorial now? I regret that it is not yet complete. When you approach it you will understand why."

Eriana nodded and then turned to her men, explaining in Norse what was happening. There were many murmurs of approval.

"Follow me, men."

Eriana strode off the street and directly to the large slab of white stone that stood proud at the back of the plot, her men following behind. Once she arrived, she read the inscription and then fell to her knees. When Ursula had managed to join them, and read what was on the slab, she understood why.

"Mistress? I cannot follow these letters very well."

Ursula understood the problem and that many of the men would not be able to read the words either, so she spoke them aloud.

"HERE GYLFI FELL."

There was a stir as she spoke. Beneath the chiseled marks was a bronze plaque, one side of which was inscribed, the other half left blank. She continued by reading the plaque.

"Against all expectation the twenty men of the Einnland Regiment, led by their Captain, Princess Eriana, and with two women-at-arms as companions, liberated the fortress above from the invader by guile and sword, with only light wounds. Seizing an opportunity they came below and killed many of the invader here, driving them back. Five times the invader attacked, five times they were thrown back with great loss of life.

"Sten died in the third attack. Many others were injured, some gravely. At the last desperate stand, before those of Forguland and those of Ferenis could cross the river to give aid, Gylfi died. A third, Kammon, died later in Forguland from his wounds.

"Gylfi's bravery was seen by many and surpassed by none. Those of us who have faced battle have never known anything like the strength, speed and resourcefulness he showed that day. For that reason, Ferenis has decreed that this place shall forever be known as Gylfi's Rest and that this ground shall be kept as a memorial to the brave men and women of Einnland."

Ursula watched as the men, with one thought, drew what blades they possessed and held them high with a deafening roar. Startled, Gwilli stepped back and then nodded. As a military man, he understood the sentiment, even if it was not what he would have done.

Eriana did none of those things. She rose, turned and ran away from the party. Lars turned to follow but Ursula stepped forward and held up a hand.

«Leave her to me, Lars.»

He raised an eyebrow before nodding and turning back to the men. Ursula turned around and began walking after Eriana.

"Mistress?"

"Stay here, Tyra. At the moment she needs something only I can provide."

"Of course, Mistress."

Ursula walked back to the street and looked both ways. She saw Eriana slumped in a doorway nearby and went to her. The Princess was weeping.

"I killed them. I killed them!"

Ursula crouched down. "Highness, who did you kill?"

"Sten. Kammon. Gylfi. They are only here because of a stupid Princess who thought herself more important than anybody else. They trusted me, yet I led them to their deaths. I killed them as surely as if I had run them through myself. I am a stupid little girl who deserves nothing that anyone has given me!"

"I do not believe that much of what you have just said is true, Highness."

"It is!" Eriana turned a tear-stained face to Ursula. "I am a willful, disobedient child who did not want to do what my father asked. I ran away from home, taking many with me on the Visund. A whole family was washed away in the storms that battered us, then more died when we reached land once more." Her voice slowed and deepened as her head went down. "I am responsible for every one of those deaths as much as I am for those who have died here. I do not deserve any of this. I want to go... not home, but back to Palarand."

"Highness, listen to me. You did not kill Sten or Kammon or Gylfi, the Yodans did. They are all grown men, they followed you because they believed in you -"

"I know! They trusted me to keep them safe and I did not!"

"But if it had been someone other than you, do you think that only three would have died? Personally I find it astonishing that the casualties were so light, given what you must have faced. On Earth casualties of forty percent or more are deemed acceptable."

"Forty what? I do not understand."

"Oh. Um, let us say that out of your, what, twenty people, eight might have been killed and another four injured - if you were lucky."

Eriana's shoulders eased and Ursula knew that she had managed to cut through the distress and self-recrimination - for a time.

"There is much in what you say. Still, -"

Ursula held up a hand. "Highness, your reaction is what anyone who has command of others must feel. That has not happened to me but it did to my father. Like me, he was conscripted into the army of the land of my birth, but while he was there he was sent to a minor war in one of the wilder parts of our motherland." Her thighs began to ache. "The situation was bad and he had two promotions, to what I would guess is equivalent to that man that was sent down to guard the ship - the Quadrant, is that right?"

"Quadrant, aye. The lowest rung on the ladder of command, I would guess."

Ursula took the opportunity to sit down on the step beside Eriana but still facing her.

"So, he told me that there had been an ambush. Um, a firefight - crazy shooting at each other with guns, you understand?" Eriana nodded. "Five of his men were killed and several more wounded. He took it badly at first, but understood then that this comes to all who have command, the responsibility they have to those they command, and the knowledge that they may sometimes have to send men out to die."

"I know that now," the Princess said miserably. "I do not like what I have become."

"Highness, what I have said is true of all in authority, although many do not realize this. Your King Robanar has the greatest responsibility of all, to care for a whole country. Your own father must have been the same. Sometimes, when you are in that position, there are difficult choices to be made, difficult decisions to make. Yet still they have to make them."

Eriana gazed at Ursula in wonder. "How did you become so wise, you who are yet so young? Is Earth such a different world to Anmar?" The Princess took Ursula's hands in her own. "I thank you for your kind counsel, Ursula of Earth. But it does not ease my pain."

Eriana's hands were warm, larger than her own, calloused from handling weapons.

"Highness, I do not think that it will ever leave you. It never left my father. But think, would you care to serve someone who was so casual with the lives of others? From odd words I have heard it seems that you are already a different person to the one who sailed away from Einnland that day. Use this experience to make yourself an even better person. You should not attempt to prevent any of those who serve you from risking their lives again, because that would make you too timid. They trust you, you must trust them in turn. But you will have a Navy to run and that will require sending men forth again. Can you do it, knowing what you know now?"

There were other tears in Eriana's eyes then. "You are so good to me! You are right, of course. If we do not take heed of life's lessons then we may as well not live at all. Ursula, will you stay by my side and give me counsel? It seems I am in need of your wise words."

Ursula was taken aback. "Highness, I am traveling in the Visund beside you. I have no intention of leaving the ship right now. But remember, I may not always be there. Who knows what is going to happen once we return to Joth? Use this time to understand yourself. Until then, I will be here to help you when you need it."

"As you say." Eriana struggled to her feet and Ursula joined her, receiving a hug. "Thank you, Ursula, for all your words." She glanced over Ursula's shoulder. "The men must wonder what we are doing round here."

Ursula simply replied, "A woman helping another woman, Highness. They will understand."

"What shall I tell them? They must think me weak, feeble."

"Tell them the truth, Highness... well, part of it. You were overcome by the sight of the monument, which is true enough."

"Indeed. Shall we go?"

They walked back around the corner to discover a party. Two men were standing on the wagon handing out mugs of ale from the barrels. Many of the rest were singing Norse battle tunes, entirely different than those Ursula had heard earlier. There was mention of Valhalla, Ragnarok and Valkyries as well as descriptions of barely-believable single combat between heroes, monsters and Gods.

«Here is Eriana!» Someone shouted.

Immediately the singing stopped and everyone quietened down. Tyra ran towards Eriana and Ursula, fumbling at her bag as she did so.

"Highness, a cloth for your face."

Eriana took the proffered cloth with a smile of gratitude. "Thank you, Tyra. I probably look a mess."

She ran the cloth over her face and then gave it back. "There! Now I may face my men."

The three continued the short distance back to the men, who had begun to cheer up once they saw that whatever problem there was had been solved. Lars gave Ursula a searching look and then inclined his head in a silent recognition of her assistance.

«I ask your pardon,» Eriana said to her men. «I did not expect the Forgulanders or Ferens to make so much of what we did. I was overcome for a time.» She smiled. «Well? Where is my ale?»

Adin came across, beaming, with a mug of ale in each hand. He gave the first to Eriana and the second to Ursula. She took a cautious sip, finding it palatable but with a hidden kick. The singing started up again as Tyra, Bennet and Semma appeared, each with a mug.

"I didn't know that you drank beer," Ursula said to Tyra.

"Sometimes. When the water level gets too low in Joth it begins to taste funny and then we have to drink beer, though usually it isn't as strong as this. I don't mind drinking it occasionally, but Mama says that too much will make me fat - among other things."

"That's true," Ursula agreed. "There are organs in your body that deal with beer and wine and ours are smaller than those of men. Sometimes it is useful to be able to drink a little, but I would try and avoid getting too familiar with any of it."

"Mistress, I would not!" Tyra protested and the two guardswomen agreed.

Lars noted the women standing and spoke to the nearest men. Shortly, six of them walked off to the street and disappeared, returning after a brief interval with a number of kegs and planks. They went off for more and the kegs and planks were converted into three temporary seats. Bennet and Semma sat on one while Eriana and Ursula sat on the middle one, with Tyra standing behind. After noticing developments the two military men came and sat down on the third seat.

"That's better," Kummin muttered with relief. "I can stand around as long as the next man but I'm not on parade today. What say you, Gwilli?"

"Aye, I'll agree to that."

"Oh! That reminds me. Remember what we talked about when you came last? Perhaps Her Highness can help us."

"What? Oh, you mean the inscription? Of course!"

"The inscription was one of the matters, aye." Gwilli turned to Eriana. "Highness, you must have noticed that half of the inscription on the memorial is missing."

Eriana turned on her seat. "Aye, I did, I thought it strange. What reason would that be, General?"

"Our masons had the idea that the words already written should also be made on the other side, in what your men have told me are named roons. Yet none of them have the art. Would any of your other men be able to help us?"

Eriana smiled. "I doubt it, General. Not many of my men can read or write and those that are learning are being taught the Valley letters, not the runes of Einnland. Of those that came from Einnland originally, only myself, Gullbrand and perhaps Tor son of Magnus, the ship's master, could help you." She sighed. "Gullbrand, my faithful Gullbrand, now serves a better Mistress in Palarand and Tor will probably not be able to find his own feet by noon. I will do it myself, and then you will know that the copy is faithful. What must I do?"

"You would do it yourself? Highness, you are most gracious. I will ask for a copy of the words to be sent to the palace and you can translate it there, at your own leisure. The metalworkers of Ferenis can then cut the roons in time for any other visitors who may be able to read them."

She nodded thoughtfully. "It is good. Though we are sworn to Palarand, we come from a distant land indeed and as you are now aware," she gestured to her men, "our customs are different. It is fitting that the inscription will be written in one of the oldest tongues of Anmar."

Kummin leaned forward. "Highness, if I may ask another question. This land has been left as it was at the time of your battle. What shall be done with it?"

Eriana glanced around at the plot. "I do not know. If it is left, in time it may run wild and I see that could be accounted disrespectful. I do not know, Marshal. Ursula, mayhap you have some suggestion?"

Ursula also studied the plot. "Highness, there are some memorials like this in the lands of my birth. Sometimes they are in paved areas, other times there would be a small paved area in front for people to stand on and the rest would be gardens, perhaps with walkways and seats. I do not know what would be appropriate here."

Kummin said, "By your leave, Mistress, I am taken with the idea of a garden. A central path, perhaps, leading from the street to just in front of the memorial, the rest grassed except for a border of flowers around the edge. What say you, Your Highness?"

"Marshal, you are too kind. You have done much for me and my men already. But I think the men will be pleased, once it is finished."

"Done, Highness."

Eriana rose. "And now, gentlemen, it is time for me to join the men." She grinned. "I may require some help - or even that wagon - to get me back to the ship when this is over. Until then, I must needs mourn my men in the way that they would have wished me to." She gave a glance to Ursula. "Thank you for your kind words earlier. I understand my men much better now."

She walked off towards the wagon.

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

PTSD

joannebarbarella's picture

Eriana suffered an attack of what we would call PTSD. She would not have been alone. Even though her men would all put on a brave face many would also be feeling the mental after-effects of the battle. Drinking themselves into oblivion would make those memories temporarily bearable.

The burden of command

LibraryGeek's picture

The knowledge that your orders could result in the injury or death of those under your command should temper your actions.
So long as others are willing to risk such a thing with those under their command in their drive for expansion, circumstances may leave you with no choice but to do so as well, that you may fulfill the responsibilities you and your command have towards your country's defense.
It's better to stop such an aggressor prior to their reaching your own lands, and thus coming to the aid of allies in their time of need is the path of wisdom; it will minimize the cost to those you seek to protect.
The sad result is members of your command being left in foreign lands, either due to death or injuries which prevent their moving with you when your command is required to travel on.

The burden of command is to act when action is required despite the knowledge that it will result in such things.
The responsibility of command is fulfilling your obligations with as little damage to those you protect while also seeking to minimize the price paid by those under your authority.

Someone who feels no remorse, who has no qualms about the price paid by those impacted by their orders or actions, is unfit for command.
It can be argued that there are situations where not suffering from PTSD is the real concern.

Yours,

John Robert Mead

sending men into battle

its a good thing for her to learn, since she may have call on some of her men to die in the future

DogSig.png

War is Hell

BarbieLee's picture

Very few are mentally geared toward accepting the killing. In our history there have been those who lead with no remorse as they send hundreds, thousands to their death as they themselves watch the carnage from the safety of distance from the battle. Can we also talk about those who sent others into the coliseum to be slaughtered for their own entertainment? There is no other creature besides humans who get pleasure out of the distress and pain of others.
Ms. Penny Lane has provided both sides of the faces of humanity, the evil of Yod and the care and compassion of Garia and Eriana among others.
Hugs Penny, beautiful story telling.
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Forever and ever

War is all hell - William Tecunseh Sherman

It is a singular horror of a person who knowingly sacrifice the people who they are responsible for without doing all they can to minimize it.

A certain Orange Horror and his party is of that stripe who willingly lies to his country in the midst of a war with a deadly enemy deserves all he gets. Debra Messing has it right about such a leader.

Eriana at least was willing to admit she was wrong and is willing to change, THAT is a sign of a leader and a sane human being. One who doubles down even when they have made the wrong decision does not deserve to lead.

In the words of Robert E. Lee.........

D. Eden's picture

“It is well that war is so terrible, otherwise we should grow too fond of it.”

As one who has commanded men in combat, there is nothing more terrible than knowing that your actions have and will again result in injury and death to not only your own troops, but possibly innocents well. Nothing tears at my soul as the memories and the knowledge of what my decisions and my orders caused. I have much to atone for, and I know that some day I will stand in judgement for my actions and my failings.

Any commander knows these thoughts, but a good commander remembers them but does not allow them to cripple them. As William Sherman stated, “It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, more vengeance, more desolation. War is hell.”

Men die in combat; the mark of a good commander is being able to act even with that knowledge, and to do everything in your power to not waste your troops - to complete your mission without losing a single man is the ultimate objective.

George Patton said it best, “I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.”

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Very much excelente`

New developments looming..

alissa

Very much excelente`

New developments looming..

alissa

Very good!

Now explain how a story chapter about a memorial to a make-believe warrior on a make-believe world made me cry real tears. Well done!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Command not an easy yoke

Jamie Lee's picture

How much would have changed had Yod not got it into their heads to try and dominate? Likely not much or nothing at all. Advances might have come, but slower than they currently are proceeding. While the Others may have wanted Anmar to progress, their desire was at the cost of many lives. Their reasoning that wars cause progress to occur may seem logical to them, but they didn't suffer the cost for progress to begin.

Those never in charge of anything fail to see the side of being in charge which requires unpopular decisions to be made, or decisions which might cause the death of others. War is made up of unpopular decisions and the chance of people dying fighting those who wish to rule unbidden. And if any in command don't anguish over the need to send people to their possible deaths, then they lack what it means to be human.

Others have feelings too.