The Voyage of the Visund -34-

Printer-friendly version

The Visund has left Joth to resume its journey upstream. After an easy leg and an awkward approach, the ship reaches Forguland, where the crew are hailed as heroes. A chance remark means that Maralin has some explaining to do, and a signature means Eriana must also explain herself.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

34 - A Heroes' Welcome


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2020 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Maker!" Bennet stared up at the forbidding rock that loomed directly ahead of them. "Her Highness climbed that with her men? Impossible!"

"Aye, indeed impossible, Bennet," Maralin agreed. "That is why the fortress was said to be impregnable. That is why Her Highness and her men approached from a different direction, the back, from where those of Yod thought they were safe."

Bennet turned to survey the indicated region. "It still looks difficult."

"I did not say it was easy. They had to use subterfuge to get close enough. Fortunately it was winter and they were able to make use of poor light, bad weather and a certain amount of camouflage. Oh, and luck, of course. The Yodans didn't know what hit them."

The armswoman studied the terrain, as much of it as she could see. "I wonder if I would have done as well as Danisa and Heldra."

"Where does the river go?" Semma asked. "Every time I look, we seem to be heading directly for a cliff!"

Maralin turned and chuckled. "It does seem that way, does it not? We will swing left shortly and then have to navigate across one of the wilder stretches of river. Forguland is just on the other side, beyond the big rock."

Semma looked uncertain. "Wilder stretches? How? Will it be dangerous?"

He shrugged. "I have never done this journey by boat before so I don't know, Semma. The ferry crossing is along the other arm of the Sirrel and will be well to our left once we turn the corner. All I know is that there are fierce currents and eddies caused by that big rock, but also that there is a standard route to avoid it all."

She looked dubious. "If you say so, Maralin."

A voice made them turn. "If I may pass." It was Eriana. She edged past and then climbed the fore deck to survey the river ahead. The two lookouts reported no obstructions.

«Good,» she told them. «When the land to our left falls away we must turn left and then swing right again almost immediately. There may be a big eddy, a maelstrom, to our right and you must needs send warning immediately if we approach too close.»

Vynil looked apprehensive. «How close, Captain?»

She grinned at him. «I have no idea, Vynil! Anything closer than a ship's length, nine dozen strides, would be fatal, or so I was told. No closer than two ship lengths, I deem.»

The other lookout, Ormund, asked, «Two lengths, Captain? Can we go wider?»

«Aye, if there is room. Not too much further, though, since that will take us downriver again and we will have to beat back once we cross the current.»

Ormund nodded. «I understand.»

Vynil asked, «What about shallows, Captain? If we keep away from this maelstrom, are we in danger of grounding the other side?»

Eriana shook her head. «No, because the eddies keep the silt from settling anywhere around the junction. I was told that the water between Boldan's Rock and the island is ocean-deep in places.»

«Ah? Then we do not need to worry about sandbars or shoals.»

«No, but there may be gogons here instead.»

Vynil grimaced, tugging absently at his safety line and remembering a previous incident. «I understand, Captain. I would not like to be tossed overboard here, if what you say is true.»

The Princess grinned at him. «Here is fine, Vynil. It is around that corner you would certainly meet your end.»

«Captain.»

As the land dropped away the ship swung left and, as it did so, some of the crew hauled the yard around so that the sail still propelled them into the junction. Tyra was one of those hauling and Ursula saw with approval that she, like many of the sailors, now had safety lines around their waists. They had arrived at one of the more active regions of the Sirrel, where the flow divided to pass either side of Joth.

"Is that it?" Semma asked. "It looks like someone is stirring a great cauldron."

"Aye," Maralin agreed, "that is indeed its name, the Cauldron. Looking at that, I can believe it might suck whole ships down. I am told that immediately after the rains no-one dare take any craft through this junction, the Cauldron is too big and strong. Now, when the river is low, it is more of a nuisance than a danger."

"Even though the river seems around two marks wide here?"

He grinned. "Even though."

Once Eriana judged that they had gone far enough below the Cauldron to be safe, Tor leaned on the steering oar and the Visund swung across the other leg of the river. The sail was adjusted again. The water was choppy, but nothing most of the crew had not already experienced at sea, and the afternoon breeze made the crossing a swift one. Tor leaned again and they cruised up alongside the bank of Forguland, aiming for a channel between the land on their left and a low island on their right.

Suddenly the left bank became higher and was lined with buildings, some close to the steep bank down to the water's edge. Almost immediately a series of wharves appeared, high stone structures built on several levels with numerous stairways and ramps leading down to water level. Most of the length of these wharves were lined with craft of all shapes and sizes, some moored two or three deep.

Both Eriana and Maralin had their telescopes out, looking for a suitable place for the Visund to dock, but the whole length seemed choked with river craft. A shout from Lars made them turn.

«Captain! On the island! Men showing flags!»

Both Princess and Tenant swiveled to find the signalers, discovering a white-painted platform set amongst trees on the low-lying island.

"Can you read them, Maralin?"

"Aye, Captain, though I am rusty... ah, that one says green, I think the other one says seven."

"Ah, I remember now, they have colors for the docks."

Eriana jumped up beside Tor and waved back, whereupon the two signalers held their flags out sideways to show acknowledgment. Slightly further forward, Maralin trained his telescope on the docks and discovered poles with blue flags and, further on, similar poles with yellow flags.

Soon a section marked by green flags appeared and Eriana directed Tor to make for the obvious mooring spot - obvious both because it was large and vacant and because there was a crowd ready waiting for them.

As before, the men immediately began making themselves tidy, putting shirts and sandals back on and running fingers through hair and beards. Maralin made sure that his yellow Messenger indicators were in place and tidy while Tyra excused herself from the crew and came to help Ursula ensure they would both be presentable.

Eager hands caught the lines and made the Visund fast to the stone wharf. A gangway had to be positioned since the current level of the wharf was above that of the ship. Eriana tugged her dress straight and led the procession up onto dry land.

"Eriana! Welcome back to Forguland! You and all your men are especially welcome here."

The speaker was a well-built man in his forties, thickened with age and experience but still fit. He was about the same height as Eriana and had a wide smile on his face.

Eriana grabbed her skirts and made a respectful curtsey. "Your Grace, well met."

"Eh, none of that now, Your Highness! Though we have spent but a short time together in the past I deem we are friends. I insist that we use our names while you are with us." He stepped forward and grasped Eriana by the forearm, as he would do a male visitor of rank. "Be welcome in our house. Ah, of course you have met Berilda before, and here is Fard and Windra, whom you met more recently in Palarand."

Eriana turned and greeted wife, son and daughter-in-law. "Well met, friends, this time we come in peace, not as destroyers of your enemies." She gestured to the group who had joined her on the jetty. "If I may introduce Tor son of Magnus who is Master of the Visund. I think that you already know Lars, who was and is Commander of my armsmen, as I believe you name them in the Great Valley. Here are Bennet and Semma, armswomen of Robanar, who perform for me that which Danisa and Heldra did before, and sailing with us this time are new friends, Mistress Ursula and her maid Tyra. Ursula is a renowned healer in her own lands."

The last introduction caused Sildenar to raise his eyebrows. "A healer? And yet you did not have one with you before, when one would surely have been of great assistance. Do you expect such trouble on this journey?"

"Ah, the circumstance is peculiar, Sildenar. If I may wait for a more private time to explain."

"As you desire, Eriana." Sildenar inspected the others as they all gathered on the jetty. "Your men now wear a most interesting uniform, I see, unlike the rough furs they wore before. Of course it was winter then."

"As you say, Sildenar. The uniform is partly by accident, a misunderstanding by the good seamstresses of Joth while we were there, but the men find the new attire more comfortable in the summer heat."

"And you yourself, Eriana?" asked Berilda. "Do you wear uniform also? A clever design, if I may say so, for the warmer days."

The Princess smiled. "As I said, a misunderstanding, but the design is that of Maralin, who accompanies us this day."

Sildenar turned, spotting the yellow-marked man in the crowd. "Ah! Maralin, I wondered if we would see you again. Be welcome in our court, Tenant. Does this mean that you bear dispatches for us?"

He called back, "I do, Your Grace, and news from Joth, of course, but also dispatches for Duke Gathol. I took advantage of the Visund to get here promptly but I cannot stay too long in Forguland."

"I understand you, Tenant. Shall you stay the night with us?"

"Of course, Your Grace. You are too kind."

"Then we will talk this evening and I will have a mount ready for you in the morning. It will be the old saddle style, I regret. Our saddlers are too busy these days."

"I can manage, Your Grace."

Sildenar then turned back to Eriana. "Of course you and your women companions shall stay with us in the palace tonight. For your men, we have arranged a hostel for fifty. Will that be sufficient?"

"We have not brought so many this time, Sildenar, as have been known to fit on the Visund in the past. They should have ample room. Thank you for your hospitality."

"I could do nothing less for the courageous men who ejected those of Yod from our fortress, and then cleared the enemy from the verge of Gylfi's Rest." He looked around. "Perhaps it is time we stopped blocking the quayside. If you would all follow me."

"Captain!" came a call as the Duke turned. He and Eriana turned back.

"Tor."

"What about the ship, Captain? And your chests?"

"Aye?" Sildenar said. "You are Shipmaster Tor, I believe? Then look behind you, the first wagon will bring Her Highness's chests and those of any others who shall rest in our palace tonight. The wagon beyond that will take the bags of you and your men to your hostel for your stay. As for your ship, our Port Watch will guard all, as they do for all craft who visit Forguland."

Tor bowed. "As you command, Your Grace." To Eriana he added, «Captain, the crew will organize the baggage while Lars takes the men up to the hostel. We will follow with the wagon.»

«Agreed,» she said, adding, «Oh, by the way, tell all the men to go easy on the ale tonight. Tomorrow I want us to go across and pay our respects at the place where Gylfi drew his last breath. It is only right that we do so. When we return, then the men may be at leisure.»

Tor nodded, his expression solemn. «Captain. I'll inform Lars.»

Sildenar, with Eriana beside him, led the way up the first of a series of stone ramps which would bring them out onto the outcropping which overlooked that part of the Sirrel.

"Your ship," he said conversationally as they climbed. "I had not realized that it would be so large. Are all the ships of Einnland of a like size?"

"Not so many," she replied. "Most are maybe half that size or perhaps a little larger. Of course we also have many more small craft for fishing. The Visund and similar ships are true ocean-going craft, customarily used to carry goods between the coastal settlements of Einnland. On the occasion of my hasty departure from Einnland we had a crew of fifty men plus a number of women attached to myself or Balrik, the original owner. We could have held more but we needed space for food, since we had no idea how long the journey would take."

"I see. And it is an interesting design. I could see similar ships being used in the Sirrel, for it appears your draft is very shallow."

Eriana chuckled. "In this river she wallows, Sildenar. On the open sea she is as light as a chip of wood. Maralin thinks that it might be to do with the quality of the water. The ocean is full of salt, the Sirrel has nothing but mud."

"Do you tell me? And I saw your sail as you rounded the Cauldron. Is that square sail of yours any better than those our river craft customarily use?"

"I have no idea, Sildenar. It has been a topic of discussion as we sailed here today. When I eventually have some leisure," she grinned at the Duke and rolled her eyes, "it is something that could be examined in more detail."

"Leisure, indeed!" he agreed with a smile. "And here I thought that the ending of the war would bring some relief. Instead I find myself with a thousand and more things to manage, despite using all the help I can find in my lands. Mind you," he added, "Robanar is not helping! All these new gadgets and ideas make my head whirl. Will it ever end?"

"I am told by those who know that it does not, Sildenar. We must all needs keep our wits about us these days, it seems." They reached the top and she pointed. "Yet I see there a semaphore tower. Are they in operation yet or still being built across your lands?"

"Alas, we are still plotting paths for the service, so I am told. That one is finished, we are using it and another at Lower Forguland to train the... operators, I believe they are called."

Eriana nodded. "Trust me, Sildenar, those towers will make such a difference to your lands that you will wonder how you managed without. I have witnessed their use in Palarand and it is astonishing."

"So I was told. But we are awaiting... manuals? books? ...of instructions which are apparently arriving from Palarand in a few days."

"Aye, the caravan which brings them had just arrived in Joth a day or two before we departed to come here. They have gifts to deliver to Wallesan, more for you, and I am told they are going to Ferenis as well." She grinned. "If you think that the semaphore astonishes you, then just wait until you see what else they are bringing!"

"Indeed? Then I must needs curb my impatience. Ah, not far now. Do you recall the way?"

"No, Sildenar, we arrived by a different route, as you may remember, and left by the ferry at Lower Forguland. This is the first time that I or any of my men have seen your port."

"Aye, I remember."

The route from port to palace had been cleared and was lined by armsmen dressed in a number of different uniforms, behind which were crowds waiting to see the illustrious arrivals. Most applauded as Eriana and her men passed by. The tale of the relief of Boldan's Rock needed no embellishment and all were waiting to pay their respects to the rough-looking foreigners who had managed the seeming impossible, then cleared the wharves below the fortress after a second fierce battle.

Somewhere behind Eriana and Sildenar came Ursula and Tyra, followed by Bennet and Semma.

"This place looks strange to my eyes," Tyra muttered. "The buildings are all different."

Ursula looked at the houses, shops, taverns and other establishments that lined the wide street and understood. She had become familiar with differences in architecture and embellishment on her travels through Europe and beyond.

"Is this the first time you have been to another city?"

"I think so, Mistress. I did go to Thorn once, with my father. He had taken me and Hulan fishing early one morning and a storm came suddenly. We were forced to take shelter in Thorn, but I did not see much of the town. In truth Joth is all I know, Mistress. Are all cities different, then?"

"It varies, I think. Joth is an island so does not have access, I would guess, to large amounts of stone. Forguland obviously does, so they can use it to build houses and roads. The fact that they can get stone probably explains why the city is more spread out than we are used to in Joth. Joth is squeezed together because a longer wall would need more stone, do you see?"

"Ah, as you say, Mistress! But look yonder, I have never seen a house look like that!"

The building in question did not seem to be a dwelling but some kind of public meeting place, with a wide double-door front entrance and carved stone embellishments in strips between the four storeys. At ground level the facing was of stone while higher up it appeared to be a mixture of timber with brick infill, although the style was unlike anything Ursula had noticed in Joth.

"That isn't a house, Tyra, not looking like that. Maybe it is a little like Joth's Great Hall. I can tell you that you'll likely see differences in building styles in every country we travel to. Each one will have different people to design their buildings and the location and local customs will make a difference too."

"As you say, Mistress. I think I understand now. It will be interesting to see how different everything is as we travel along."

"Mistress," Bennet called from behind, "you and Tyra may not realize, but of course it will not be just the buildings that are different. Each land we have visited so far has different customs, different coin and, of course, different laws to consider. I do not think that will change as we travel further."

Ursula had forgotten that. I roamed through all of Europe and parts of North America and accepted that each country would be different. Why did I think that would not happen here? Because they all speak the same language, perhaps? Yet there are great differences across both Russia and Canada.

The procession came to an intersection between two thoroughfares and Sildenar raised a hand to bring it to a halt. He turned to an aide.

"Gotahol!"

"Your Grace?"

"If you would take Commander Lars and his men to the hostel. Make sure that they are settled comfortably and know where all the amenities may be found."

"As you command, Your Grace."

"Commander Lars."

"Your Grace."

"Captain Gotahol will take you to your hostel, which is just along here." He gestured. "Our palace is just there, can you see the walls?"

"Yah, Your Grace."

"If you have need, call at the gate and you will be brought to myself or Her Highness immediately."

"As you command, Your Grace."

Ursula watched Lars lead the men after Captain Gotahol along a side street. Once Sildenar was satisfied that everyone knew what was happening and where they were going, he led the way onward. In front of the reduced party, after the next intersection, was a high stone wall made from rough stone blocks interspersed with layers of flat red brick. Sildenar headed for a wide gateway in this wall, under an imposing gatehouse.

Maralin leaned towards Ursula as they walked alongside the wall. "I don't know how much experience of Roman remains you have, but this was once the compound of a Roman legion, or of the Chivans, as they are known here."

Startled, Ursula examined the stonework more closely but saw nothing but many centuries of use and maintenance. "What do you mean?"

"I have been here before," he replied. "I consulted with His Grace on two occasions during the war on behalf of Duke Wallesan. Over one of the other gates is an old stone bearing a Latin inscription, 'II Legio Chivanus', which I could read, much to the surprise of everyone I was with. I was told that they knew this compound had been built by the Chivans but not much more than that. Nobody could read any of the inscriptions they had found here and there."

Faced with the evidence of her own eyes, Ursula was forced to accept Maralin's statement.

"So how..?"

He shook his head. "No idea. I was a cook in Chicago, remember? The only Roman remains I have ever seen have been here... and in Palarand, where the Guild of Masons keeps a museum of the remains they have found. How they got to Anmar, when, and what happened to them is lost in the mists of time. I doubt anyone will ever learn the truth."

At the gateway to the palace compound a small group of people was waiting, some of whom brought a lump to Eriana's throat. There were three bearded men, though one was in a wheeled chair. With them were a group of what appeared to be local men and women. As Sildenar and Eriana reached them, the two standing bearded men bent their knee to Eriana.

"Highness, you have returned, but do you return for us? We would not be insulted if you had not."

"Rise, Matz, and you too, Lukku! You have won your injuries honorably, I greet you as shieldmaiden-in-arms. Come here, lump!"

She strode forward and grabbed the first man in a hug, much to his surprise and consternation. His eyes widened briefly before they part-closed as tears began. She released him and turned to the second man who she hugged before squatting before the seated man, who had one leg missing from just above the knee.

«Radwan,» she said softly. «It pains me to see you suffer so.»

"My Princess," he replied in good though accented local language, "I have not suffered. My wounds were honorably bought on the field of battle, as is required, I do not regret what I did. Have you come to take us back to Palarand?"

Surprised, Eriana gave him a glance and then stood, inspecting the three former warriors.

"Is that what you want? To join me in Palarand when I return there? If you have made new lives here then I would not uproot you just to satisfy the whim of a Princess. You may each stay or come back with me at your own choice."

Lukku ducked his head. "Highness, it may be difficult. We three have each taken wives and we have learned new trades here. My Tassy is with child, as is Radwan's Marjet. To travel now may not be advisable."

"Well!"

Eriana turned to the others standing near her three lost men. Three of the women there promptly curtseyed to her. Two were obviously expecting but appeared to have a number of months yet to go. After some hesitation the other women curtseyed and the men, all older, bowed.

"We have barely arrived and I have not yet entered His Grace's Hall. I doubt not that we will all speak in the next day or so, but I can put your minds at rest immediately. Our voyage will continue upriver for a month or two and I would not consider asking any of you to come with us, especially not women with child! There is little point to that folly. Let it be, speak to me once I have settled here, talk among yourselves, and if you still desire to return with us to Palarand you may - perhaps - join us when we come downriver again."

Matz and Lukku bowed low. Matz said, "It shall be as you command, Highness."

Sildenar said to the group, "Speak to my Chamberlain, he will arrange a time for you to consult your liege. Whatever you may decide, know that you will have my consent in the matter."

The two men bowed again. Matz murmured, "Your Grace."

Sildenar nodded and then led the way through the gate. Inside was a large empty space with an imposing building in the center. The walls of the compound itself were completely lined with substantial buildings Ursula took to be stables, barracks and other structures such as she had seen around the Mansion in Joth. At one side a party of men were doing something with a line of frayen while on the other side four carriages were being washed down. Anything more than that was hidden by the central building.

Sildenar turned. "Welcome, friends. You are honored guests in my palace."

In through the imposing front entrance and Ursula found herself being guided to the upper floor by a footman, who showed her to a spacious guest suite.

He bowed as he backed out. "My Lady, your chests will be brought to your chambers as soon as they arrive. I regret that there is no other attire presently available to you, but there are bath robes should you and your maid wish to refresh yourselves before the evening meal."

As he closed the door Ursula turned to Tyra, who remarked, "Different again! So much space! Even His Grace, um, I mean His Grace of Joth, does not have chambers so large as this."

"It just shows that Joth is a cramped city," Ursula replied. "Here they have more space for whatever reason so they make use of it. Come on, let us find the bathroom and toilet. It has been a good while since either of us had the need."

"As you say, Mistress! If we are to dine tonight, a bath sounds like a good idea too."

"I agree. What's over here, then?"

* * *

When Ursula entered the State Dining Room followed by Tyra, both gasped. The chamber was comparable in size to the Great Hall in Joth although the roof was maybe a little lower. The decoration was just as rich and complex and they spent a few moments looking around them. A major difference was the condition. While Ursula knew that the Great Hall had been refurbished, this place looked old. The decorations were rich, true, but the ceiling and the upper walls showed evidence of decades of deposits from candles and lanterns while the lower levels had obviously taken the knocks of hard usage.

A cough brought them back to the present. "Mistress?"

This was a man who was dressed in the ducal colors of pale blue and crimson and Ursula suspected that he was there to announce their names to those already present.

"Um, I am Ursula and this is my maid Tyra."

The man, in his forties and with a clipped gray beard, eyed them both. "Mistress Ursula? Of what demesne?"

"Demesne? I don't... oh, I am a visitor who came with Her Highness Princess Eriana. You may say that I am from Alberta. It will avoid a number of problems."

"As you desire, Mistress." The man turned and announced, "Mistress Ursula of Alberta!"

There was no mention of Tyra, being a mere servant.

Berilda was there speaking with an elderly couple. She gave her apologies and came over to greet Ursula with a smile.

"If I may call you Ursula? It is an unusual name, it is true, but it does suit you. Shall you walk with me? I would learn what manner of place you came from. Alberta, did I hear Tenion say?"

"Your Grace."

Berilda led her away from the door to an open space before speaking again. "My dear, it seems that there is some mystery surrounding you, if what I hear is true. Can you tell me aught now, or should it wait for a more private time?"

Ursula considered. Some of her story, if it was to be revealed at all, would be better left for a private audience, but there were aspects which could be mentioned now that would both satisfy her listener and provide openings for conversation over the meal.

"Your Grace, I do not know what I should tell you and whether I can tell you now or later. Can I ask first, what you know about Tenant Maralin."

"Why, Ursula, we know very little about him, just that he joined Wallesan last year during the siege of Joth. We have been told that he comes from far away, mayhap in the deep south, but little more than that. Why? Do you come from that same place?"

Ursula grimaced. "Your Grace, I do not know if it is safe enough for me to reveal more about myself as that may also reveal things about Maralin he would rather not be known. However, I can tell you that I come from a place near enough to where Maralin lived that I can speak his tongue. I arrived in Joth only recently and they consider me to be a Healer of some learning. For several reasons I did not want to stay in Joth so decided to accompany Eriana - Princess Eriana, that is - on her voyage, both to provide assistance and to learn more about the countries of the Great Valley."

"Do you tell me? Then you are most welcome in Forguland, Ursula. I wonder, you are a healer, are you familiar with the treatment of battle wounds? The war is ended, it is true, but we have many who fought then who still bear grievous wounds from their time facing the enemy."

"Your Grace, I have treated what could be called battle wounds, but I must tell you that I am not familiar with most of the weapons you use here. Knife wounds, yes, but not, say, ax, lance, arrow or mace wounds. I will offer help as long as the Visund is in Forguland but I should depart when the ship does."

"Not familiar with..?" Berilda's eyes were wide. "My dear, if your people do not use ax, mace, arrow or lance, whatever do they use? Or is war unknown in your lands?"

"Unfortunately war is well known where I come from, Your Grace. There are knives, yes, but usually the weapons are guns or worse."

"Guns? Ah, I begin to understand. Maralin did say that he had knowledge of guns that those of Yod did not possess, and that was one of the reasons why we know little about his past."

"Yes. I was told that if those of Yod found out about his knowledge, they would attempt to kidnap him." As an afterthought she added, "As they tried to kidnap Princess Garia."

"Garia? Ah, much is explained!" Berilda's voice dropped to a whisper. "Then you are from the other world, as Maralin must also be. All is made clear now! I understand your reluctance to say anything now. Have no fear, I shall tell no-one what you have just told me."

Berilda is sharp! She made that connection much faster than I would have. So knowledge of Garia's origins must be known along the Great Valley, then, at least among the rulers.

But Maralin's origins were not!

I will have to watch what I say more carefully in the future, though from past experience that should not be hard for me.

"Your Grace, the situation is very complicated and I am sure that almost nobody knows the whole story. What I was told when I arrived at Joth sounded so..." I was going to use the word fantastic but maybe I have to be careful even here, "...strange that it was a week before I could believe any of it. Even now -"

"His Grace Duke Sildenar of Forguland, Count Fard and Countess Windra!"

The man at the door made the announcement and all conversation stopped. Sildenar entered talking to Fard, saw Berilda and headed in their direction. Ursula and Tyra curtseyed.

"My dear!" Sildenar greeted his wife with a smile. "Pumping our guests for information already?"

"Sil, it wasn't like that, was it, Ursula?"

"Your Grace," Ursula addressed the Duke, "your wife naturally wanted to know more about her visitors so she has asked me some questions."

Berilda smiled at her husband. "Some of which she has answered, dear, only to raise more! Do not concern yourself, no secrets have been spilled."

Which tells me that she is likely to keep her mouth shut. Good.

"That is well, my dear." Sildenar turned to Ursula. "My dear, be welcome in our house. Do you find your chambers satisfactory? If there is any omission then you have only to say and it shall be rectified immediately."

"Your Grace, I have found nothing that could be considered a fault. I am impressed by the hospitality we have found along the Great Valley."

"Of course, my dear, it is our custom. There are few among our people, from the highest to the lowest, who would not offer hospitality to any traveler."

"So I have discovered, Your Grace."

"Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand," the announcement came, "and ladies-at-arms Bennet and Semma."

As the three entered the room Sildenar chuckled. "Ha. Tenion struggles to understand how any woman may wield a sword, I deem. If what I hear is true, he must needs adapt his thinking in the future!"

Eriana led the two swordswomen over to join the Ducal party, all three curtseying as they reached the group.

Sildenar smiled. "Well met, Eriana. Good evening to you, Bennet, and to you as well, Semma. I see that our martial trio attend this evening in camouflage, the brilliant disguise of three lovely ladies of the court, and you all carry it off so well! Thus, we shall treat you all as you appear to be, you shall join us at our table. Eriana shall sit beside me as honored guest and Bennet and Semma, as well as Mistress Ursula, shall face us, that we may discuss matters of interest as we sup."

Eriana smiled, "Sildenar, you are too gracious."

"Nonsense! You are all my distinguished guests, it is right that you be treated so." He glanced around. "I do not yet see our other guest, where might he be? Eriana, do you know where Maralin might be?"

She shook her head. "I have not seen him since we arrived, Sildenar. Though he did travel with us, I assume that he has duties and responsibilities according his station, which we do not."

"As you say." Sildenar thought then nodded. "I believe that we may wait a short while before sitting. I note that neither Gwilli nor Brevin have yet appeared."

Sildenar had barely finished speaking before Maralin, Gwilli and Brevin appeared, all discussing something. None were in uniform this evening. They were announced and immediately came to give their respects to the Duke.

"Gentlemen! Do you discuss something important this evening?"

Maralin replied, "Your Grace, only if you consider uniforms important. It seems that Major-General Gwilli has been impressed by the attire of Eriana's crew and desires to know if the designs will be made available to Forguland." He smiled. "As the designs are officially mine, and I have the assent of my Duke, I have informed him that of course he may make use of them."

Sildenar humphed. "At the usual rate, I suppose?"

"Your Grace, these garments are so simple and so practical that we would not consider asking coin for the use of the designs." He shrugged. "Other designs, maybe, but not these."

Windra asked, "Tenant, what about the dresses that Her Highness and the women in her party wore? They looked so cool and so simple! Are you responsible for those as well?"

Maralin gave a deprecating smile. "Unfortunately I have to admit that I am, My Lady. Technically none of these are new inventions but merely adaptations of items worn in the lands of my birth."

A single word had roused Windra's curiosity. "Adaptations, Tenant?"

The smile grew wider. "Ah, that is perhaps a subject for another time, My Lady. I am sure that the men will not want to be subjected to the fine detail of women's fashion, will they?"

"You have my agreement on that, Tenant," Sildenar said dryly. "Well. Now that everybody appears to be here, let us sit and eat. There will be time afterwards to speak of fashions... and other matters."

* * *

After the diners had risen from their welcoming feast Ursula had managed to have a few private words with Maralin. When the small and select group took seats in Sildenar's Drawing Room he stood, therefore, having received a nod from the Duke.

"Your Grace, Your Grace, My Lord, My Lady, it seems that I have an explanation to make. You may have wondered who I am, where I came from, and how I came to be a close advisor to His Grace Wallesan of Joth." He flicked his eyes briefly at Ursula. "There are other considerations too. I must ask you all to swear that what will be revealed in this room shall not be communicated in any form to anyone not present this evening."

Sildenar was taken aback at first but recognized that something important was about to be revealed.

"Why, Maralin, of course. But we have servants here, should I ask them to retire?"

Both Berilda and Windra had maids and of course Tyra stood behind Ursula's chair. For this meeting Bennet and Semma remained in their suite so Eriana was unaccompanied.

"Your Grace, it is up to you. If you consider your servants trustworthy enough to hear what I am about to reveal then they may remain... but if they must needs withdraw, then I would add that it would not mean that their liege distrusts them."

"As you say. Oh, and what about the maid of Mistress Ursula? Should she retire as well?"

"Your Grace, Tyra already knows what I am about to tell you."

Sildenar said, "Oh!" while Berilda just nodded, which did not go unnoticed by her husband. He turned and stared at Ursula, who remained impassive. "There is some greater mystery here, I deem. Berilda, Windra, shall your maids remain or go?"

Berilda promptly said, "Dear, Hestia already knows everything that I do. She can be relied on to hold her tongue when required."

Windra added, "I trust Pinet with my secrets and she does not tattle-tale around the palace. Your Grace, I believe that you may have confidence in her."

"Very well."

After the group gave their oaths Maralin began. "All of you here are doubtless aware of Princess Garia and of her origins. She came to Anmar from another world, somewhere else entirely, and she is stuck here, unable to return."

He paused here, struck by a thought. Is that actually true? What happened just before we sailed from Dekarran?

"The society of that world," he continued, "which is named Earth, is like ours may be in perhaps two hundred or so years time. Needless to say, that world is quite different than this one. Garia has knowledge which she will give freely to our lands, to permit us to advance as her world has done, but hopefully avoiding many of the dangers, accidents and blind passages that happened on Earth.

"It is for that reason that Yod desired to kidnap or alternatively kill Princess Garia, since they wanted Yod to be the only land in the Great Valley to possess such knowledge. Why? Because they also held someone from Earth, a boy named Yves Perriard. It was from him that the Yodans obtained - by force - the secret of guns. Yves was young, perhaps they thought that Garia might tell them more."

He turned around to look at all of them. "You all know what happened. Increasingly desperate attempts to kidnap Garia, resulting in all-out war. There are other considerations, though. To begin with, I am also from Earth."

There was a gasp from Fard and Windra, while Sildenar merely raised his eyebrows.

"Yes, I came from Earth. I arrived on the day that those of Yod seized the city of Joth and threw everyone out. Like others who come from Earth, I had no memory of my past for five days or so. When that memory finally returned - and I will tell you that it has not fully returned, even now - I found myself in a place so strange I struggled to understand it.

"I adapted, as Garia did, and found that I could make a contribution to Joth's efforts to retake their city. Do you remember the journey that Prince Keren made here?" Nods all round. "I had used the word gun and this was thought sufficiently unusual that it was mentioned to him as he passed through Thorn. He, of course, had already learned the Earth word from Garia. It was on his return journey that I met him and learned about Garia and what had been happening in the east.

"I also learned of the danger I was in and that is why I asked an oath this evening. I did not appreciate until then that, should those of Yod find out about my origins, they would attempt to obtain me just as they were trying to get hold of Garia. Then they would probably have tortured me to find out things I could not have told them, since on Earth I had been a cook and knew little of weapons." He shrugged. "That danger is now past, of course, but there will still be those who would try and take advantage of what we know. That is why our origins must be kept quiet."

He turned to face Sildenar. "In this room is another person from Earth. Your wife guessed the truth, Your Grace, and it is right that you should all be properly informed about us and our origins. Ursula is also from Earth, though from a part very distant from where Garia and I came from."

Sildenar turned to Ursula. "Is this true, my dear?"

"Your Grace, it is. I was... delivered, perhaps, is the best term, to a small island in the Sirrel where I could be found and rescued by Her Highness's crew as they sailed past."

"Delivered?"

Maralin answered. "Your Grace, we were not brought here by chance. There exist Beings of a kind that reside in the world around us but cannot be seen. Be assured that they do not break any of the rules of the Great Convocation. Duke Wallesan and myself have been given enough proof of their existence that I will tell you on oath there is no doubt that they exist. What was I saying? There is a purpose to our being brought here, although we are not sure what the end result will be. Garia and Yves Perriard were delivered at each end of the Valley in order to start a war."

Sildenar was outraged. "A war!"

"Aye, Your Grace." Maralin shrugged. "The war which actually happened, in fact, although the result was not what had been expected. I can only tell you from my knowledge of Earth history that times of war are often when most advancements are made. The pressure of victory, or of avoiding defeat, brings forth developments which will later transform society. Those semaphore masts outside are an example of that, telescopes are another. The Beings plan was to improve society here in the Great Valley. But... something went wrong with the transfer method."

"Transfer? How did you get here, then? How far did you come?"

Maralin shook his head. "Unknown, Your Grace. How far? Well, if I were to tell you that each of the stars you see in the night sky is a sun like Anmar's, and that the sun of Earth is a distant speck, such that the light from that sun will take a thousand years to reach Anmar, you will understand that even on Earth we do not know how it was done. But the point is, when we three arrived, we were not as we were on Earth."

He took a deep breath. "On Earth Garia was a boy. On Earth, I was a young woman. On Earth, Ursula was a young man. Only Yves Perriard was unchanged."

Shock was evident on all their faces.

Fard said, "Maralin, your tale sounds fantastic."

Berilda demurred. "Fard, I can believe it. I know that there are male tailors but the fact that Maralin designed those dresses and uniforms makes more sense if he was once a woman. He obviously has an eye for material and fit."

"If you say so, Mother."

Sildenar said to Maralin, "Yet you are a man. I would not think it possible that one who had once been a woman could become a man. The way each thinks is too different, I deem."

Berilda agreed, "Maralin, he is right. What happened? Are you still a woman inside?"

"Your Grace, when I first arrived I struggled every day with what I had become. On Earth I was treated badly by the man who I originally believed to be my protector, someone who abused me and reduced me to a shadow who barely existed. I hated all men there and when I arrived here I hated my new body. Yet, over time, I came to understand that not all men were the same as he was and that I could become a man of honor. It was hard, but because I now have a man's body..."

He paused, considering. "I wonder, do you understand that the bodies of men and women are different because different chemicals are produced by those bodies? These chemicals shape our bodies, literally, and they also shape our minds. My mind has adjusted, somewhat, towards that of a normal man, yet I also have the past that I was brought up as and I consider myself to be a man with a softer side. My body, I must add, is certainly all male and lets me know that whenever certain circumstances occur."

Sildenar had a faint smile. "I doubt not that all here understand your meaning, Maralin!" His attention switched to Ursula. "My dear, are you the same? You were a man, then, before you came... to Anmar? Maker, even saying that raises the hairs on the back of my neck!"

Ursula had her own faint smile. "Your Grace, my story is even stranger. You may not know this or believe it but I can tell you from personal experience that it is true. When a child is born it is possible for it to be neither male nor female but somewhere in between. Sometimes the differences are noticeable, sometimes they are hidden inside. I was born with a male body but my brain, my mind, has always been female.

"When I found myself here on Anmar, then, with a real female body, I suspected a trick. It took many days, and much persuasion, before I could be convinced that I was now, actually, a woman as I should have been from the start."

Fard asked, "Mistress? Surely the fact that everything around you was different would convince you."

"It is not that simple, My Lord. In two hundred years time it will be possible for people here on Anmar to fake up a whole city and tell someone that what they see is the truth. There are drugs - potions - which can convince anybody of anything, even that their own body is different. In the land of my birth people are naturally suspicious and I struggled to believe the evidence of my own eyes. It took the death of a man right in front of me to make me realize that this was not all arranged to make me tell secrets."

Sildenar ran a hand through his hair. "Maker! What a mess!" He addressed Maralin. "And yet these Beings of yours persist in sending people here from... Earth, did you say?"

"Aye, Your Grace, for one very simple reason. By ourselves, we would have had a carefully measured effect on the various societies in which we had been dropped. Changed, the effects have been considerably greater. For example, if Garia had arrived here as the boy he had been on Earth, we would still be at war with Yod and, possibly, both Forguland and Joth would be in the hands of Yod... and I'm speaking of the countries, not just the cities."

Sildenar said, "Maker!" again. "And now the war is done, shall these Beings leave us alone?"

"Regrettably not, Your Grace. It is thought that every man or woman who now walks on Anmar descends from someone who walked on Earth, so they have been busy for many years, perhaps, thousands. Garia even thinks that grakh were brought from Earth, which since they died out there over sixty million years ago means a long, long time. They do not think of time the same way we do."

Eriana added, "Sildenar, my people were brought here from Earth about a thousand years ago in a seeming storm. Garia has told me of the land we departed from and the lands we were supposed to arrive at, so we now know our ancient sagas to be true."

Maralin pointed out, "Your Grace, your own palace sits in a legionary fortress built by Chivans, who we think are named after the leader of a group who arrived from Earth about five hundred years or so before Eriana's people. The Beings have been managing Anmar for a very long time."

Sildenar ran his hands through his hair. "What are we to do?"

"Your Grace, the policy of both Palarand and Joth is that life should just continue as before. The decisions of each day must still be made and made as though the Beings did not exist. We think that the Beings do not interfere directly but only by using humans - us - as agents. Think of a rock in a small stream. Normally moving that rock will not do much but moving certain rocks in certain places may have a much larger effect."

Sildenar leaned back in his chair and closed his eyes, breathing out a long sigh. "I understand. I will write a letter tomorrow asking Robanar for advice on the matter, since all seems to revolve around Palarand presently." He opened his eyes and looked at Maralin. "I understand why you required oaths of us, now."

"As you say, Your Grace." Maralin hesitated before asking, "If anyone has any questions? This was not what I was sent to Forguland to do, this is something additional and unexpected."

Sildenar looked at Maralin. "Of course, you came here with dispatches, did you not? And you are to depart early tomorrow. Shall you call here on your return, that we may speak of... this other matter again?"

"At your command, Your Grace. With your permission, I will fetch the bag."

Sildenar rested a hand on his forehead. "Aye, Maralin, do."

Maralin bowed and went out. Sildenar turned to Eriana.

"I assume that you already knew of this?"

"Indeed, Sildenar," she replied. "Faced with Garia's knowledge of the past of my people, I could do no other than believe it. She came from the mother world without any doubt at all." Eriana paused. "However, Maralin's appearance and then that of Ursula has caused some disquiet in my mind." She waved a hand. "I do not consider that these Beings pose any threat to us or our way of life, I deem, but some of those who know the secret know more than they are prepared to tell me, I am sure of it.

"Maralin is one of those."

Eyebrows were raised. "Do you tell me?"

"Aye." She gave the Duke a look. "I would leave any further discussion until Maralin has departed, by your leave."

"As you wish, Eriana."

There was an uncomfortable silence for a few moments until Maralin returned with a canvas bag.

"Here it is, Your Grace. If you would verify the seal and open the bag."

Sildenar cut the blue-and-white ribbon of Joth and gave it to Maralin before upending the bag onto the carpet. The contents were few but bulky. Maralin squatted and sorted through the packets, picking one out and handing it to Sildenar.

"Your Grace, this is the signed and sealed copy of the treaty joining Forguland to the Federation," he explained. "It arrived with the wagon train from Palarand and His Grace Wallesan has countersigned it. Congratulations, Forguland has now legally become a member of the Sirrel Federation!"

Sildenar accepted the packet and cut the integral seal, opening the document within.

"It is done, then," he said. "For good or ill, we have joined the Federation. Fard, you handled the negotiations, you will inherit responsibility for Forguland, that is why I followed your advice. I agree, it offers us security we did not have before, but I would not be a sane ruler if I did not have reservations."

"Father, the Federation will become whatever the members make of it," his son replied. "We all have strengths and weaknesses and in theory we may use our strengths to compensate for the weaknesses of others. It is up to us - all of us - to ensure that we do not become distracted by petty bickering."

"As you say." As the Duke spoke, his eye ran down the impressive list of rulers who had countersigned the document, raising eyebrows at one inclusion. "Eriana? You have signed! But you are no longer of Einnland, you are of Palarand." He squinted. "What is this? 'Head of Naval Forces'? What is that?"

Eriana appeared reluctant to explain. "Sildenar, it is nothing. Those at Dekarran made some early decisions concerning the future martial forces of the Sirrel Federation, that is all. I am named as one of the few officers yet appointed."

"Oh, I see... but I do not. Whatever are Naval Forces?"

She let out a breath of resignation. "You know that I and the men who came with me are people of the ocean, Sildenar. Once the war with Yod had ended, I wondered what my purpose would be, then Maralin made a good suggestion, that the Federation must needs have water-borne forces, both to keep the peace on its rivers and to venture further along our coasts to discover what manner of people live there, be they friendly or otherwise. Thus, the Federation Navy was born with myself as its head. As yet we are only in the planning stage for what may become an independent service that any from within the Federation may join and serve."

"But why do we not..." Sildenar was confused. He turned to Maralin. "If you would explain."

"Your Grace, on the world I came from, Earth, it is customary for most nations who have access to the sea to have a Navy or equivalent. It is a separate armed force with policing duties but will also fight wars on the open sea as well as support, for example, landings on hostile coasts. In days past, navies were also used to chart and discover lands previously unknown, for purposes of trade as well as defense."

The Duke turned back to Eriana. "Ah, I see why your people would be thought suitable for such a task as this, Eriana. Your men, do they go with you?"

"Of course, Sildenar. Maralin tells me they should be named Marines, warriors who fight from ship to ship or from ships to hostile shores. They will be a separate branch to those who sail our ships but they will still be part of the navy."

Sildenar sat back. "Hmm. There is much here to discuss, it seems. It is yet early, perhaps some refreshment before we get to the meat of the matter." He turned to Berilda's maid. "Hestia, if I may ask you to summon Tenion. I foresee a long evening ahead of us, since Maralin must travel on tomorrow."

* * *

"Ursula?"

"Highness?"

The two were about to part in the corridor leading to their respective chambers.

"I wonder..." Ursula could not determine the expression on Eriana's face. "Tomorrow we take the Visund on a brief journey across the river to the place we fought our last battle."

"You have mentioned it, Highness."

"Would you join us? I..." Eriana took a deep breath before lowering her voice. "I have not been looking forward to that moment, I must confess. I would appreciate your presence by my side when we pay our respects to those that died there."

"You want some emotional support?"

"As you say. It is difficult... for me to admit a weakness, it is not the way I was raised. Yet I believe that having someone like yourself beside me may help me manage what I must needs do." There was an appeal in her eyes. "Would you come? I would not command you, it is not my place."

Ursula considered. A short journey across the river to a scene of fierce fighting, it was not surprising that the memories might disturb Eriana.

"Highness, I will come. Although my interests are in saving lives rather than taking them, it will be interesting to see where that battle was fought."

The relief on Eriana's face was immediate. "Oh, thank you, Ursula! Your kindness shall not be forgotten. Until tomorrow, then."

"Tomorrow. Good night, Highness."

"Good night, Ursula."

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

cool chapter

good stuff!

DogSig.png

mostly

it will probably be people from around the valley, though trained more in shock and trap tactics.

The bigger issue will be one of logistics, they only have so much coal, and this will be even more true for the ocean fleet, at least until they set up a network of bases.

The Next Leg Of The Voyage

joannebarbarella's picture

I always look forward to the new chapters giving us insights into the countries and civilizations to be experienced as the crew travel ever further inland.

You never disappoint.

Cool chapter

This is the foundational moment for this federation of course. Together they will be a power to be reckoned with. One must wonder if this valley has any non-civilized folks around anywhere. There is not a clear picture for what lies beyond the main trade routes whether there are 'traditional enemies' of the valley countries.

Anyway, there is still the thorny issue of Yod. There is no question they will need to be on parole for a long time to come before they might join the other countries. I suspect they never will be though, given their arrogant culture.

For reasons

There are reasons why Yod became as it was, which may or may not come out as the Visund travels upstream.

It doesn't take much to subvert a perfectly average society, as events of the 20th century have proved.

Penny

Average society

True enough else how could that orange bastard been elected in the first place and people still follow his delusions.

My pet theory is that the US is being seriously played by experts that make Radio Liberty seem absolutely quaint by comparison. Experts in social manipulation on social media are deliberately prodding people into being one extreme group vs another, making insane beliefs a requirement to 'belong'.

I've been pretty socially isolated a lot of my life, partially because I am trans so I can be far more objective or less caring of group think so what I am seeing scares the beejesus out of me.

I have to wonder

Where she is ultimately going to settle down.