The Voyage of the Visund -36-

Printer-friendly version

The morning after the day before, and almost all of the Norse are worse for wear. Ursula suddenly discovers that she has a crisis on her hands.

grakh on parchment

The Voyage of the Visund

A tale of Anmar by Penny Lane

36 - Hangover!


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2021 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



Ursula curtseyed. Tyra bobbed right behind her.

"Good morning, Your Highness. How is your head?"

Eriana regarded Ursula through slitted eyes. "Good morning, Ursula," she replied slowly. "It is as you suspect. I feel worse than the dead must feel. You are a healer, have you a remedy for me?"

"I do, Highness," Ursula replied as she led the way slowly towards the table. "I would advise no beer this morning but instead to drink pel. Toast and fruit as well to keep your nutrients up. No milk or cheese. Make sure that you drink a fair amount today, to counter the dehydration - and it had better be either pel or water, no beer or wine at all."

The Princess grimaced. "Pel? Water? No beer? Is that what I must needs face today? Is there no concoction I may swallow that will set my head and stomach to rights?"

The answer came from behind. "Eriana, there are several, all of which are sworn by their many users to work."

They turned and all curtseyed to the Duke, who had a sympathetic smile on his face. "However," he continued, "I doubt any of them really work, and I speak from experience! Heed well your healer's words, my dear."

Eriana fought against grimacing to the ruler of Forguland and failed. She did manage a curtsey.

"Good morrow, Your Grace. Today I am feeling... delicate. I do not think that I will undertake any duties today, by your leave. You speak of remedies."

Sildenar grinned. "Aye, Eriana. A raw egg mixed with hot spices from the north is one that is popular here. A mashed nurrid fruit in sour milk is another." Eriana turned green so he added, "But you need take none of those, merely attend your excellent healer. Come, let us sit at table and I will ask for calm and quiet during the meal to allow your pounding head to recover."

She gave him a wan smile. "I see that you are no stranger to such events, Sildenar!" She had a stray thought. "Baldur! I wonder what state the men are in!"

Ursula looked at Tyra before saying, "Highness, they will be in about the same state as you are. It would be better for you to wait until breakfast is finished before we tell you what happened."

Eriana stared suspiciously at Ursula. "It occurs to me that neither you nor your maid appear to suffer as I do."

"That is true enough, Highness, but I doubt that you are in any state to hear the reasons why."

"As you will. Let me sit and try some," the grimace was pronounced, "pel, as you insist."

The meal was a twitchy one. Eriana did manage to eat and keep down a fair amount of toast and fruit accompanied by several mugs of pel. There was a major problem when one of the servants dropped a serving spoon onto the flags of the dining room floor, but by then everyone had gotten the message and walked around as though a wild zinakh was in the next room, waiting to burst in.

Sildenar leaned across. "My dear," he addressed Eriana, "what on Anmar did you and your men drink yesterday to leave you in this state? I was informed you went with but four barrels of beer."

Eriana cautiously nodded. "Aye, Sildenar, so we did, and I guess most of my men thought so too. It was something called, I believe, Celebration Epp Ale, which is why the men selected it."

"Epp Ale! Maker, that is powerful stuff indeed!"

"Aye, so we found. We were told that it was just the drink for a celebration."

"And so it is, Eriana, but it is not beer, nor despite the name is it what any might consider ale. It is a drink made with fruit preserved from last autumns crop, fermented with honey and flavored with a number of powerful herbs. Perhaps two barrels of it are produced each month in the city. It is normally drunk in small quantities at weddings and other celebrations as we drink wine."

The Princess put her head in her hands. "Oh, no! I paid fifteen Forgans a barrel for it, too."

The Duke shook his head with wonder. "Maker! You were robbed, Eriana. They should have accepted no more than twelve a barrel for it."

Berilda commented, "Dear, if the producers had known who it was for, and that we were behind you, they would probably have offered it for ten Forgans a barrel."

"I will insist on a refund on your behalf, Eriana," Sildenar decided, shaking his head. "Maker! Fifteen Forgans a barrel!"

There was a pause so Ursula asked, "Your Grace, these herbs, are they likely to cause any problems when taken in such quantities?"

The Duke shook his head. "My dear, I do not believe so, but you would do better to ask our healers, of course. In truth, I do not know what herbs are used nor in what proportion. It would be necessary to ask the brewers and I suspect they may be reluctant to tell you."

Ursula nodded. "I understand, Your Grace. Trade secrets, and so on."

"Ursula," the Princess asked when they rose, "if you would accompany me back to my suite. I believe I have need of something to help ease my pounding head."

Ursula thought about this and nodded. "Of course, Highness. There are at least three potions I could offer, though I am not sure of the effects when taken following a drinking session."

Berilda turned. "If I may help? I have had occasion to treat my husband on... one or two occasions."

Sildenar smiled. "Tell the truth, dear. Far too many occasions, especially when I was younger. I know better now, of course."

His wife retorted, "You mean because your own healer told you that you were damaging your insides! Aye, and I know you still drink far too much as it is."

"Not so much lately. The war has kept us away from the produce of the winefields beyond Yod, leaving us only our own poor efforts."

"Hmph!" Berilda turned to Ursula. "Whatever the reason, I may be able to offer advice to you, dear. I was told that the green stuff we use -"

"Yes?"

"- You know what that is for, I deem. Even though it is sometimes administered mixed with wine there can be problems, especially for men, when taken the following morning. If I may suggest -"

Ursula listened carefully and learned much about the uses and abuses of alcoholic drinks in the Great Valley.

"Ah. Thank you, Your Grace. In Joth I did not have occasion to concern myself with such matters but I am now traveling with a group of Einnlanders who have different habits. Can I come and ask you for more information?"

"Well, of course, dear, but you would do better to speak to our own healers, who even now have requested a meeting with yourself."

Ursula mentally kicked herself. Of course, once they know that I am a Healer, they will want to exchange news and ideas. The problem with this is that I would hold up the voyage if I did as I did in Joth and started setting up clinics and surgical facilities!

She pursed her lips. "Your Grace, I think it would be better for me to concentrate on Her Highness and her men this morning. Perhaps this afternoon, after our nap?"

Berilda considered. "It may be possible, dear. I will ask and if that time is not convenient then I will let you know."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

Ursula followed Eriana and the others up to her suite, on the way stepping across to her own room to fetch her basket. When she arrived Eriana was slumped in an easy chair, her eyes closed. She opened them when Ursula appeared.

"Ah. I am reluctant to admit, Ursula, that you were right. The pel has made a difference, I deem, to how I feel, though I do not know how long it will last."

"I can help that, Highness."

Ursula sorted through her bottles and eventually found what she wanted. She poured some into a spoon and fed it to Eriana, then repeated the process. Eriana sank back and closed her eyes again.

"I know that it will take time to have an effect," she said. "If you would tell me now why you, Tyra, Bennet and Semma seem much brighter than me this morning. Did you not partake of the... ale... wine... as well?"

"Highness, we did, but I immediately noticed that there were unusual flavors in the drink. I asked General Gwilli if he knew why and he explained more or less what His Grace said earlier. He also warned us of the possible side effects and so we did drink what we had been given, but after that one mug drank water or the small beer that those stall-holders offered when they appeared to offer lunch."

"Stall-holders? Lunch? I do not remember any of that!"

Ursula regarded Eriana. "You don't need me to tell you why, Highness, do you? To continue, most people had some food and then just lay down and napped where they stood. That means that most of your men probably have sunburn as well as a sore head."

Eriana raised a hand to her forehead. "Gods! How we may forget even the most basic warnings when we are in drink! I shall tell..." She stopped, opening her eyes and staring blindly at Ursula. "It would make no difference, would it? If they forget now, they will forget the next time. Gods! What are we to do?"

"I am not a leader of men, Highness. However, I was told by Maralin that your men are not the rough and unmannered people they were when they first arrived in Palarand. Is this true?"

"Aye, it is. Ah, you believe that, just as they are cleaner, tidier and their attire is better, that their minds may improve as well? I wonder."

Ursula pointed out, "Highness, if this Navy of yours is to make a successful start I think that you will need to create new traditions for those who serve in it. I can tell you that on Earth, most Navies, and indeed most other armed forces, have customs of their own."

Eriana winced as a pain shot through her skull. "There is much in what you say, Ursula. But now is not the time to think of such changes, when I have barely begun to think of the Navy at all. Indeed, I can barely think at all!"

"I agree, Highness. I would consider that you are still actually somewhat drunk. You may not remember much that happens this morning." Ursula added, "I think that you had better lie down and take it easy until lunchtime. I want to go over the road and attend to your men."

"A good idea. If you would take Bennet as an escort while Semma stays here and makes sure that I do not do anything... stupid."

"As you request, Highness. We'll leave you now in peace."

* * *

When Ursula, Bennet and Tyra entered the hostel block they found four healers already present. One of these bustled importantly up to the door and confronted the visitors.

"These men are in no state to be entertained, especially before lunch! Be off with you and if you are lucky you might have some custom this evening, should any have recovered." The woman then spotted Ursula's basket and her manner changed instantly. "I ask your pardon, Mistress, I did not realize that you were a healer. Yet I do not know you. What business have you in these chambers?"

Ursula thought that she had better make her position and potential authority known, in order to prevent a turf war.

"I am the personal healer of Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand." As she spoke those words she realized that it was effectively true. "These are her men. I was at the gathering yesterday where the drinking happened. I have just attended Her Highness and have come to see what state her men are in."

"Oh! A thousand pardons, Mistress. Do come in, enter, enter. Who are these with you?"

"This is my maid Tyra and this is Guardswoman Bennet of His Majesty's Palace Guard, our escort. I am Ursula, by the way."

"Indeed? Strange it is to see a healer with a maid, stranger still to see a woman carrying a sword but times are changing, I deem. I am Senior Healer Tabra, second in charge of the city healers."

"If that is true, then I might have other business with you later, Healer Tabra."

"Indeed? Come in, please."

The three entered and surveyed the double row of beds in the dormitory, about half occupied with Norsemen, most of whom were still asleep. A small number were going from bed to bed, looking after their fellows. About halfway down a servant was mopping between two of the beds where apparently someone had been sick.

"It seems that you have everything in hand," Ursula remarked. "I assume that is so?"

"It is, Mistress, except that the effects seem more severe than usual. Do you know what they had been drinking?"

"Oh, yes. They had four barrels of Celebration Epp Ale. When that ran out, and after lunch, they started on the local beer."

"Epp Ale? Maker! Now I understand!" Tabra clapped her hands and the three other healers straightened and looked at her. "Ladies, they have drunk quantities of Epp Ale! Four barrels between these few men, and they drained the barrels."

As the women hurried to join them Ursula said, "His Grace told me to ask you about the herbs they put in that drink."

Tabra raised an eyebrow. "Have you not the herb lore? If you do not, I am surprised that you are a personal healer."

"The circumstances are unusual. Princess Eriana and her men come from a distant land where healing is handled differently. I was told that the herbs they use are different than the ones used in the Great Valley so they would not have known the danger. I myself come from another distant land, somewhere else entirely, and my own skills are entirely different both to Valley practice and that in Einnland."

Tabra regarded Ursula. "Ah. I begin to understand. That is why we might have words together later, is it not?"

"It is, but now is not the time to go into that. Do you have a particular method of treating these men?"

"There are other herbs which will help ease the pain and discomfort. Torisa, take another and go and find all the taltrem leaves you can. We'll need those and some dried poreen fruit, but we have enough of that between us, I deem. We'll need a big pot to boil them in and prepare a potion for these men to take, if they have drunk too much Epp Ale."

"As you desire, Tabra. Come on, Rilla, let's check the hostel stores first and ask the kitchen to get some water on if we have to look elsewhere."

As the two went off Tabra turned to Ursula. "You mentioned a place, Einnland. That sounds familiar to me."

"It should, Mistress. These are the men, so I was told, who took Boldan's Rock from the men of Yod. Her Highness led the assault herself."

"Indeed? Then we shall do what we can for such brave men. Looking at them, I can see why they might have overcome the enemy."

"They have long traditions of fighting in ways not used locally, so I was told."

"If you may tell me, do you know if their skin is supposed to be that color? The red is unusual for our local population."

"I regret that it is mostly sunburn, Mistress Tabra. Where they come from is colder and they do not see so much sun. Normally, I am told, they know about the effects and take care of themselves when the sun is strong, but of course," she shrugged, "with the drink..."

"Aye. Once you lose your wits then all sense is gone. Men!" She turned to the two other healers. "Ladies, we have severe sunburn to attend as well, it seems. Look you out our ointments and lotions, though we may not use them until these men rise from their beds."

The five men standing now approached. They bowed to Ursula.

«Mistress, good morrow,» Adin greeted her. «As you may see, your advice yesterday proved sound. I am surprised by the state of the men, but perhaps I should not be.»

She replied, «I have recently discovered that what they thought was ale was not so but a potent wine brewed from preserved fruit. There are herbs in it which have caused many of the symptoms you see. Healer Tabra has sent out for some different herbs which are said to counteract the effects of what they drank.»

«Ah! That explains much. And Her Highness?»

«Much the same, though I have given her a potion to help ease the pain. She will be resting for the rest of today.»

Tabra said, "You speak the tongue of these people? I am impressed."

"It seems that I am one of those who can learn other languages easily. I have just told Adin what had happened and explained that their liege is in a similar state."

"A Princess, you said? Maker! Once we have prepared the draft, I will give you a bottle to take back to the palace for her."

"That would be a good idea, yes. Thank you, Mistress Tabra."

"We are all healers, are we not? And these our charges? Of course I would help. Tell me, why are not these five as ill as their fellows?"

"A good point. Adin here is the cook of the crew. When he first tasted the brew he came to me and asked if it would be acceptable for the men to drink - but I did not know that it was a special brew then, so I said yes. However, Adin is smaller than his mates, as you can see, so I told him to be more careful how much he drank.

"The other four, well, they are a different matter. They are members of the crew, but they have only joined recently. They are actually sworn to her brother rather than herself. They did not take part in the original battles, so did not feel comfortable joining in the funeral celebrations."

"Ah, I see. Yet they have drunk some of the Epp Ale, I suppose?"

"We all drank at least one mug of it, at the beginning, but the girls and I -" Ursula gestured at Tyra and Bennet, "- found it very strong so we drank water and small beer after. Those men decided to do the same."

Tabra pursed her lips. "All should take a draft of the potion we will brew, I deem, that way we can be sure that no ill effects bother any of you later."

"Of course, Mistress Tabra. I'll just translate that for these men."

The four nodded agreement and Adin added, «If that ale was as strong as you say, it would be a good idea. You are taking some over for Her Highness?»

«I will, Adin. Don't worry, I'll take good care of her.»

«I know that you will, Mistress Ursula.»

* * *

Eriana roused herself when Semma showed Ursula, Tyra and Bennet into her sitting room.

"How are you feeling now, Highness?"

"A little better, I deem. How are the men?"

"Almost all of them are still in their beds. Many of them are not even properly awake yet. That drink was powerful stuff."

Eriana rubbed her forehead and gave a weak grin. "Do you tell me? Did you administer to them at all?"

"Apparently Adin managed to alert the hostel staff when he could not wake some of the others. They called in the city healers, who were there when we arrived. However, the healers did not know what had been drunk until I told them. They sent out for some herbs, different herbs, and brewed up a concoction with the herbs and some dried fruit and gave it to everyone, ourselves included." Ursula opened the lid of her basket. "I have some here for you, Highness. It should counteract most of the poisoning."

"Poisoning? Gods! If we had known... I must ask who found that drink and why the men were not warned of the dangers."

"Later, Highness, once we are all recovered."

Tyra took the bottle and poured the contents into a goblet from a side table before handing it to Eriana. The Princess cautiously sniffed and recoiled.

"I have to drink this?"

"It didn't taste too bad to me, Highness," Ursula said. "It may be that your sense of smell is affected somehow."

"If you say so." Eriana downed the potion in two swallows before shuddering. "Ergh! It tastes as bad as it smells!"

Ursula reached for the goblet and Eriana handed it to her. She sniffed.

"It smells acceptable to me, Highness. It must be your sense of taste and smell. That should fade away throughout the day. How is your head now?"

"There is still a dull ache but it is at least bearable now. I have had worse headaches during the monthly visits, I deem." Her expression changed. "While you were away, I had an uncomfortable thought. I do not remember anything of our journey back across the river, indeed, of anything of the afternoon or evening at all. Semma says that you would be better explaining the circumstance."

Ursula glanced at Semma, whose facial expression was a carefully controlled blank. She sighed.

"I can and will, Highness, but it will take some time. Can we sit down?"

"Of course, Ursula. Semma and Bennet too. Ah, Tyra, if you would go and find out if there is any pel to be had. I assume that your mistress has not had a drink since breakfast?"

Tyra bobbed. "As you say, Highness. Uh, apart from the potion, of course, which we all drank."

"Then pel it must be, to take the taste away."

"As you desire, Highness."

Ursula, Bennet and Semma found seats as Tyra left to organize drinks. Eriana closed her eyes again, but that may have been because of the strong late-morning sunlight now streaming into the chamber. Ursula stood and part-drew some of the drapes to reduce the glare.

"Earlier today you mentioned stall-holders," Eriana muttered.

"That is true, Highness, but I must start at the beginning," Ursula replied. "Adin came to see me again and told me that some of the men had trouble believing the story of the battles. It was only then I discovered that some of the crew were not your retainers, if that is the correct word. There were four who are sworn to your brother?"

The Princess cautiously nodded. "That is so. You know that I ran away from home, from a bad marriage which my father wanted for me? I sailed north with my men in the Visund, came eventually to Palarand and was talked into mounting an expedition against the fortress. We returned to Robanar, I became a Princess of Palarand and my men became the King's men. So. Winter passed, and once the weather had improved my father sent out two ships to try and find me - with the intention of returning me to Einnland, willingly or not. One of those ships held my brother Torulf, but he is a miserable creature who, the Gods forbid, will likely become the next King of Einnland.

"There were... incidents, let us say. I killed an assassin who came into my bedchamber one night to kidnap me, the day before Garia was married to Keren, Robanar's son. In the end Torulf had to accept that I would never, ever, return to Einnland and that my father need no longer consider me part of the succession - which I suspect was his main reason for wanting to marry me off that way.

"To make my story short, one of the two ships returned to Einnland immediately, with letters from Robanar stating that I would not be returning. Torulf, meanwhile, had been advised to travel with Keren and Garia when they visited her lands in the north of Palarand, with the intention of," she opened her eyes and smirked, "training him not to be a damp rag in the hands of others. The other ship will return with him to Einnland after the season of rains they have here. Four of his crew have been charged to accompany me, to learn more of the Great Valley, so that they may return and inform my father what is happening here."

"So they are spies, Highness?"

"I doubt they will learn anything of interest about me that they did not already know, Ursula. Their main task was to find out about the peoples of this Valley, about which those of Einnland know very little, as a rule. A very few of the royal family and close nobility have been taught the Valley tongue, as you know, but almost everything else is myth and fable. Oh, in case you were concerned about loyalties, the four men have sworn to me for the duration of the voyage, until we return once more to Palarand. It is only practical."

Ursula nodded. "Thank you, Highness. That makes what happened yesterday make much more sense. To return to my story, General Gwilli overheard Adin and told him to ask the four to join us, as he could verify the accounts of the battles. They came over, we rearranged ourselves on the benches -"

"I remember that."

"- And General Gwilli explained what had happened, beginning with your attack on the fortress. The four decided that they were not comfortable joining in the celebration, as they were not your men, so sat it out with us instead. That meant, by chance, that they consumed a lot less of the drink than the rest did. They also, on my advice, drank water as well. It was beginning to get very warm by then."

"I begin to see."

"Then lunchtime came and the other military man, Marshal Kummin, went and asked some stall-holders to set up around the edge of the plot with lunch food. Most people ate what was provided but there were two stalls which also sold the local beer, nobody having told them that your men had brought their own. The party went on for some time after lunch, until almost all of you had fallen asleep where you stood - and that included you, Highness.

"Bennet and Semma took turns standing guard but it was not really practical, so General Gwilli sent off to the fortress for reinforcements and we soon had a guard arranged around the plot for security. Marshal Kummin arranged for some awnings to be brought, to protect the sleeping from the sun, but by then I suspect much of the damage had already been done. "

Ursula took a deep breath. "Then it became time to get you all down to the ship, Highness. Some could walk but most could not. Several had been sick by that time. Gwilli and Kummin arranged for carts and wagons to get you and your men back to the dockside, but getting all of you down those stairs and into the Visund was quite a project, especially considering the size of some of the men. They had to use the crane to lower Lars and several others into the ship."

Eriana sat herself up and stared at Ursula. "But if we were all so drunk we could barely stand, how did the Visund get back across the river?"

Ursula tried to keep her expression under control. This voyage she would remember the rest of her life.

"Highness, we did what we could. Pilot Kayt was temporary Captain for the crossing. Semma became lookout at the bow. I was occupied going up and down the hull making sure that nobody choked or fell overboard while being sick. The four men of your brother, Adin and Bennet handled the sail under Tyra's instructions. We managed the crossing without having to use any oars."

Eriana's face was pale now, her eyes wide. "But if you were all hauling the sail, who was steering? I doubt that it was Tor!"

Ursula's expression was bland. "General Gwilli steered the whole way, Highness. He said afterwards that he had never enjoyed doing anything so much before in his whole life."

Eriana put her head in her hands. "Gods! I shall never live this down!"

Ursula shrugged. "The crossing was fine, Highness. As Pilot Kayt said when we left Forguland, the crossing could usually be done with sail alone, and so it proved. Um, we did scrape the side when we docked, Highness, but I was told that the mark is cosmetic." Eriana shuddered. "It was only when we had tied up, and General Gwilli was organizing carts to take the men back to the hostel, that Adin realized that the praam was missing."

"The praam! Baldur's beard! Have we lost all the cooking gear?"

"No, Highness, fortunately. When we arrived over the other side Adin realized that the men would need the mugs to drink the ale so had the cooking gear loaded back into the ship once the barrels had gone. Then those still on the ship were holding everyone else up so the praam was left on its tow rope, presumably until we returned and had more time to pick it up again."

"So it is gone?"

Ursula shook her head. "No, Highness, again fortunately. We all forgot about it so nobody knows when it disappeared, but later in the afternoon a fisherman spotted it circling the Cauldron. He signaled some friends and they managed to catch it with a grappling line before it was sucked down. I was told that anything heavier and the line would have not worked. It is the worse for wear, and the oars have gone, but it is now back on board."

The Princess groaned. "I am shamed by the conduct of myself and the ship's company - your pardon, ladies, most of the ship's company. It is as well that Adin kept a clear head and you three," she indicated the women in the room, "you have all played your part well. We are in your debt and I will remember it - I doubt if I will remember much else!"

Ursula soothed. "It is not really your fault, Highness. The sun was hot and the brew an unusual one. I suspect that General Gwilli has been party to many similar celebrations, though perhaps none with such serious effects."

Tyra chose that moment to appear with a tray bearing five steaming mugs. She served them out and then, after a nod from Ursula, found a seat with her own mug,

"Tyra, it seems that I owe you a debt of gratitude," Eriana said then.

Tyra put down her mug and shot to her feet, curtseying low to Eriana.

The Princess continued, "You have traveled with us but one day yet I have been told that you handled the sail on the way back, when others had not the art."

"Highness, that is true," the maid licked her lips, "but mistakes were made. We crossed the river safely but when we came to drift back down as the pilot wanted, the men used different words for left and right and were confused. The yard was pulled the wrong way and the wind turned the ship round. Then the sail would have pushed us back upstream so it had to be lowered quickly. There were bruises and some rope burns..."

"I am amazed that you managed that much! There is more?"

"Aye, Highness. The pilot said that it would be easier to travel as we were and General Gwilli said it was easier to steer that way. But we had to turn again in the channel to dock and," she shrugged, "coming to dock is harder than it looks. I managed to rig the sail so that we could dock but we bumped the wharf. I doubt not that Master Tor would have done it smoother."

"Astonishing. The others have told what happened before, Tyra, and you must not consider that you have done anything wrong. You, along with the others, have had difficult decisions thrust upon you and brought the Visund safely home. You have all done well."

"Thank you, Highness."

"And now you must sit down and have your pel. Ursula, if you would tell Their Graces that I will be taking a light lunch here in my chambers today."

"Of course, Highness. The local healers have told me that you should have mostly recovered by the time the evening meal is served."

"That is good to know. Are you visiting the men again today?"

"Perhaps, Highness. I think that some of those healers will be visiting me this afternoon, after our nap. Depending how long that meeting takes, I might be able to check on the men before we eat again."

"As you say. Do you intend to do for Forguland's healers what you did for those of Joth?"

"Highness, you know how and where I was found. I have not made any plans concerning medical matters for anybody. Joth just happened. I assume that you will not be staying so long in Forguland?"

"Indeed not. We have been delayed long enough. I want to get through Yod and begin exploring further upstream. I am told the lands become stranger the further west one travels. It will be interesting to visit some of those lands before we must needs return to Palarand - and duty."

Ursula nodded as she thought. "Then I will be careful what I say this afternoon and not introduce anything that cannot be explained easily. The exchange of information goes both ways, I have even more need to learn about the herbs and so on that they use along the Valley, especially if we get surprises like yesterday."

"Agreed."

* * *

"How was your meeting, Mistress Ursula?"

"It was what I expected, Your Grace. Although your healers know enough to do what they do, they were not aware that there were other possibilities, so I spent part of the meeting explaining what I was and how I do what I do."

"And just what is it that you do that is different, my dear?"

Ursula looked around. "I don't think this is a suitable subject for table, Your Grace, but I can say a few words now before we sit down. Briefly, although I can handle amost anything that a normal healer can, I was trained as a surgeon, which means cutting people open and fixing things that are wrong inside."

"A surgeon? You mean, you are someone like those who attend our armies?"

"In some respects, Your Grace. In the past I have dealt with injuries caused by fights and accidents, though none caused during wartime, if that is what you mean. But my expertise is broader than that. For example, I can help with difficult childbirths. In Joth I saved the life of an armsman who had an infected appendix. There are a number of ways in which patients can only be helped by opening them up and doing things inside."

"If I may ask, what is an appendix? I do not know the word."

Ursula pointed to her own body and explained what the appendix was and what she had done.

"Maker! And you are confident that you can do this without risking the life of your patient?"

"Your Grace, the man would have died if I had not removed his infected appendix. With that as an alternative, operating on him would give him at least a chance. As it happens, it all worked as expected and he is recovering well."

"And what do our healers think of this?"

"They are interested, Your Grace, but unfortunately I cannot stay in Forguland long enough to train anyone well enough to be of some use. I had begun to do that in Joth but, in practice, anyone who wants to do what I can do will need training at a special school, a teaching hospital, perhaps, for a minimum of six months to a year." She added, "My own training lasted five years, Your Grace, and I am no expert."

"Mmm. So you are telling me that training our healers will take a long time and require the creation of a special school to do it." Sildenar sighed. "Very well, I understand. I hope that, now that Yod has been brought to heel, we can begin to investigate these new developments that are creeping steadily along the Valley. If I may ask, did you speak of anything else?"

"Of course, Your Grace. After what happened yesterday I needed to know much more about the herbs in use around here. Where I come from the plants are all different. It will take me some time to become familiar with how matters are managed here, what is safe and what is not, for example."

"As you say. Indeed, I may warn you that herb lore appears to vary along the Sirrel, from what I have heard. You will understand that we have, over the years, had many armies pass through our lands going one way or the other, so we do learn of different customs and usages each country has."

"As I learned. My fingers are still sore from all the notes I took. We also talked a little about childbirth, though perhaps that is a subject you would find less interesting."

The Duchess joined her husband and Ursula. "Indeed he would, Ursula! Men seem to avoid most mentions of the workings of female bodies, I deem. Yet I found the discussion most fascinating, that you could tell us exactly how matters are arranged and what problems may occur when a woman becomes with child."

"I could have said more, Your Grace, if the healers had not then become distracted by my ship dress."

"Indeed! I have already asked my dressmaker to attend tomorrow morning, that she may have the benefit of examining the new style. As the season becomes warmer, I can foresee that every woman in Forguland will soon be attired thus. That dress is so much more practical, I deem."

Sildenar nodded. "I agree, my dear." To Ursula he commented, "I thought it strange when first I saw you and Eriana wearing them but now it seems to me an obvious step to take. Yet you do not wear one this evening."

"Your Grace," Ursula replied, "though I find evening gowns to be warmer to wear, like many women I sometimes feel the need to put on something different. Besides, I believe it is the custom for women to wear something long in the evenings, is that not right?"

"It is true, my dear, but as you are visitors, and travelers who must be careful how much attire they may bring with them, exceptions are usually made." Sildenar smiled. "I have no complaint to make, my dear. You and your companions make refreshing ornaments at table, when we have entertained few but Generals and Marshals these last several months."

"And here is Eriana!"

At Berilda's observation all turned to greet the Princess. Eriana curtseyed to her host, Bennet and Semma following, before she joined them with a relaxed smile.

"Are you feeling better, my dear?"

"Thank you, yes, Your Grace. Normally I do not like to spend my time idly but for a change the enforced idleness has helped me recover. There is perhaps a slight something," she tapped her forehead, "but that will go overnight, I deem."

"Then I believe we are all here," Sildenar decided. "Let us to table! Eriana, how is your appetite?"

"I am hungry, aye, but I believe that I will eat carefully this time. Whatever I ate and drank yesterday may still be lurking within, ready to cause further discomfort."

Berilda agreed. "A sensible precaution after what happened. What of your men? Has Ursula told you of her attentions to them?"

"Not yet, Your Grace. I will no doubt hear all I need to know later this evening." Eriana turned to Ursula, who was walking around the table. "I assume that there have been no problems?"

"Highness, most are fine. One or two still have headaches, that is all."

"Good. Today can care for itself. Tomorrow I must go down to the Visund and find out what state it has been left in."

Ursula said, "We left it as tidy as we could, Highness. I think that most of the problems are cosmetic, but only you will know if that is so."

After all were seated, Sildenar asked, "And what will you drink this evening, Eriana?"

"By your leave, I think that I will have nought but pel this evening. It seems strange to me to say so but I fear the effect of beer or wine on my guts so soon after yesterday."

Sildenar turned to Berilda and grinned. "What think you? How long shall it be before she drinks beer again?"

"Do not tease the poor girl!" his wife scolded. "You saw what state she was in this morning, let her rest her body a day or two. I have no doubt that she will drink beer soon enough again."

As they were rising from table a visitor was ushered in. He approached the Duke and bowed low.

"Your Grace, a thousand apologies for the interruption. There was a problem with the very last ferry of the day and I wondered that I would get here at all today. We have met once before, I am Baron Kalmenar of the court of His Majesty King Robanar of Palarand, presently acting as diplomatic aide to Her Highness Princess Eriana of Palarand."

"Baron Kalmenar, be welcome in my house. I do remember your last visit, it was two years ago? Three? Much has happened since then, as you know. If I may ask why you did not travel with Eriana."

"Federation business in Joth, Your Grace. A caravan from Palarand arrived just before Her Highness departed Joth and it was necessary for me to remain a day or two further to clarify some treaty problems. I believe that all has now been concluded as desired. It was I who suggested that Tenant Maralin bring the copy of the treaty to you, to save time, and he also has one for Ferenis."

"That is so, Kalmenar, and I thank you for it." Sildenar waved an arm around to indicate the diners. "As you see we have just risen from our evening meal. Have you yet eaten? Shall I ask Cook to provide you something?"

"Your Grace, I thank you for the thought, but since the ferry was delayed many of the passengers including myself chose to take an early meal while we waited. Um, if I may trouble Your Grace for something to wet my lips. Though the distance is not far, I have ridden hard from Lower Town to make my way here this evening."

"Why, of course, Lord Kalmenar!" Sildenar turned, but a servant was already filling a goblet at the side table. "Once you have eased your thirst, someone will show you to your chambers and you may change and freshen yourself before joining us this evening. I am sure there is much to discuss."

Kalmenar shrugged. "It is the way of the world, Your Grace. I thank you for your attentions and regret that I could not have arrived sooner." He accepted the goblet and took a small drink before turning to Eriana and Ursula. "Your Highness, well met. I have arrived, I am at your service once more. Mistress Ursula, greetings."

He looked at the two women and smiled. "Did much happen before I arrived?"

up
177 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Explorers of Customs and Lands

BarbieLee's picture

Eriana wanted to get an idea of the lay of the valley nations. She's also receiving a big dose of customs while she's on her voyage. I don't guess they could have shared that potent brew with the Yod invaders and saved everyone a lot of pain and bloodshed? Put the passed out Yod on rafts and sent them on down the river.
I guess the lesson from this one is don't drink the home brew or if one does then to partake only a little?
Love your stories Penny. Hugs
Barb
Life is a gift, treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Moonshine

Teek's picture

I wonder if Penny has ever been offered some Moonshine and regretted taking the offer.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

I cannot deny

In my teenage years I actually used to brew my own beer, though not spirits. It was fairly powerful stuff.

I have been known to take a refilled winebox, maybe a (UK) gallon, full of beer to school in a backpack and we drank it out of paper cups.

Don't tell anybody.

Penny

Hazards of drinking the local brew!

I wonder if what they drank was distilled more than brewed - and it was something along the lines on Absinthe or Ouzo. Some of the traditional/local additives can be surprisingly different from the commercial varieties.

I have lost track of how long they have been on the journey and how far away are the rains.

I truly love the stories from this this world!! Palarand rocks!!

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

Lost track

You and me both!

Just recently I have written a spiffy new tool to help us keep track of anything and everything. All I have to do now is to remember to use it... Forgot when I mentioned poreen fruit and spelt it wrong. Passing that one off as a local variation!

Okay. The Visund departed Dekarran on Day 111 of 1175.
Chapter #36 is Day 145.
Day 203 is Harvest Festival most places.
The Rains are accounted as beginning on Day 209, although as in past years it would be on and off for several days before the deluge sets in.

Thank you for your patience. I know things have been slow for far too long.

Penny

PS Spiffy Tool. I regret that it is not yet open for access but the intention is to permit readers access in the future. This will not be a wide-open service, you would have to request a login when we're ready.

It is also possible that the software could be of use to other authors, particularly those with universes. We'll see.

The Wrath of Grapes

I wonder how does the Valley countries deal with alcoholism?

Unless the VMBs removed some critical genetic deficiencies that makes one prone to alcoholism, addictions etc it will no doubt be as prevalent as on Earth.

I managed to update the Appendices ...

... in between building flat-pack furniture and unpacking moving boxes.
I should be back into proper harness next week!

Eriana

I don't know about anyone else, but I must admit to having forgotten Penny's description of Eriana.
At some point along the way in my mind she has become Vala from the tv series SG1. Or rather Australian actress Claudia Black.
Sorry Penny if I have discombobulated the Eriana in your head, but Claudia Black's Vala is too firmly fixed in my mind as Eriana now to think of her as any other way.

Thanks for another great chapter.
Sophie

Eriana's physical body

Although I didn't have her in mind when I thought of her, a good way of envisaging her would be to think of someone like Brigitte Nielsen.

Tall, blonde, muscular, dangerous.

Penny

Eriana's physical body

Yep, that's how I imagined you would see her, and when reading Somewhere Else Entirely, I think that's how I thought of her too. I'm not sure when or how Claudia Black's 'Vala' came into the picture, but I think it has to be all your fault Penny as it is down to your writing that has somehow turned her into Vala in my head. Or at least a more serous Vala.
That's the power of the written word and where are mind takes them.
Anyway, thank-you for writing such an enjoyable story to read.
Sophie

Beware Strange Drinks

joannebarbarella's picture

You never know what you're getting when introduced to something alcoholic in a foreign country. For instance, in Fiji, the local bug-juice is Kava or yaqona, which is actually fairly harmless and is a soporific which will just send you to sleep when drunk straight. However, the locals like to spice it up at celebrations by adding large doses of whisky, gin or vodka (or all three), which do not change the basic taste or appearance of the kava (so you can drink it in all innocence) but render it a lethal cocktail guaranteed to produce the nastiest hangovers the following day.

Various spirits from China, Korea and Japan are also lethal when overindulged.

thanks

For this newest chapter and..Is there going to be the need for extreme caution going into Yod?? Or.....Disruption with this new alliance.?

alissa

Going into Yod

You'd think not. After all, the peasants (mostly) revolted and it has been reported as being overrun and occupied by the alliance forces.

Still, as in most such situations, some are happy with the new owners, some are fearful of the future, some just want to make coin and a certain number will resent the foreigners on their soil - or what they think should be their soil.

The immediate problems will be much closer to home, though. And first we have to visit Ferenis.

Penny

thanks

For this newest chapter and..Is there going to be the need for extreme caution going into Yod?? Or.....Disruption with this new alliance.?

alissa

The wine sounds a bit

like absinthe, which can kill you if you misuse/abuse it.