Here Today, Tomorrow, Next Week Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

It was a perfectly fine day.
My espresso was perfection: overly sugared with whip cream along the top.
The coffee kept me level-headed—zen in a cup. Nirvana. A way to get my mind to not think about the forty-five minute drive it took to get to work from the suburbs. I had no issues getting from my apartment to the local Starbucks and then onto the “they call it an interstate highway, but it’s a parking lot”, just like Joni Mitchell said.

I wished that I owned a motorcycle, but I was a little too big to own anything other than a Harley-Davidson and I didn’t have a spare twenty-grand in my bank account to finance one as I was playing off my recent divorce. No extra money for toys but I could dream of weaving in and out of traffic on two wheels. I could also dream about flying in a helicopter. My own personal air taxi that would set down in front of my apartment and jet myself to work. Every morning and evening I could flash a double bird at all of the peons playing bumper cars on the freeway.

It was a fine day.

Traffic moved along at a brisker pace. I guess people finally learned how to drive without brake-checking every other second. My ex-wife was one of those who loved to scream at drivers—literally, she would get hoarse by the time we arrived at our couple therapy sessions—and she wasn’t even the one driving. She would yell at an idiot who couldn’t keep a constant speed and stated he was pathetic in life and had some form of fetish fantasy of wanting to be a woman.
The idiot in question was me.

Work, driving, home, sitting in the living room, bed; wake up, coffee, drive and repeat. You may be thinking I left out a few things like taking a shower, shaving, eating or sex?
I did all of those things and the only thing I did with my wife at the time was eat, everything else was a solo endeavor. I didn’t want to go out places. Didn’t care about seeing Las Vegas or Miami. I had no intention of ever leaving the country on my own free-will: you would have had to hold me at gunpoint and then drug me in order to get me on airplane because I didn’t want to go too far from where I was. She kind of knew that when we were married. She saw my collection of “Lord of Rings” figurines (hand-painted and limited edition, by the way) and maybe she thought she could change me.

Perhaps it sounds like I’m being too hard on her. She did help me one day when she said that I was only half a man. At 260 pounds I assumed I was pretty much all man, maybe a little on the “Stay Puft Marshmallow” side, but still a man at that time. She didn’t agree and one night she left the apartment and never came back.

It was a day…

Traffic picked up and everyone moved at a nice clip of 65 miles per hour except for every other car around me. I didn’t know I volunteered to be a part of “The Cannonball Run 2019” but there I was: trying to avoid being a hood ornament of a semi while attempting to keep out of the back seat of an SUV in front of me. However, there was the sound of this horn that made me jump, drop my coffee into my lap and caused me to lose where my feet were. I had slammed the brake and—as I looked into my rear view and saw the letter KCAM rocketing forward. The truck’s brakes squealed and there was an awful sound of twisting metal, breaking glass and snapping plastic. I also saw a lot of blood.
My own.
Damn, I almost had the car paid off.

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dayderaming while on the commute

can be very life changing as you pointed out.
But I do take issue with this.
but I was a little too big to own anything other than a Harley-Davidson

There are plenty of other bikes out there that are:-
1) Not a Harley
2) Nowhere near as obnoxious as a Harley when it comes to noise pollution
3) Cost anywhere near as much at those obsolete poser machines.
4) I'm not exactly a small person either and I've never had an issue with bikes being too small.
5) I hate crotch rockets as much as H-D's. There are nothing but mobile organ donor platforms.

I don't like H-D's and most of my fellow bikers are of the same opinion. H-D riders seem to think that because they have a throbbing beast (the engine silly) between their legs, they are somehow better and more entitled than everyone else.
38_519_5547_Hermitage_Castle.jpg
That's my bike in front of Hermitage Castle, Scotland.
75mpg at highway speeds and the fairing keeps even the worst rain off most of you. 350miles on a tank rather than the 100miles if you are lucky with most H-D's due to their peanut tanks.

Samantha

I used the Harley because of

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

I used the Harley because of the trope of what they represent to some people. I owned three sport bikes (Kawasaki and Hondas) and I was laughed at by a guy on a Harley. I mean if one wants to spend the money on such a machine they can but i don’t like the design.

Good, bad and ugly

In my opinion there are three types of Harley; the good, the bad and the ugly. It appears you have only ever encountered the later two. What I class as the good is entirely different than those, think of something along the lines of a full dress Honda Gold Wing. A nice quiet machine with fairing and wind screen, a comfy seat and saddle bags. Many times they are quiet enough the rider can enjoy the stereo.

i

Maddy Bell's picture

been there, think it rained!


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

Reminds me

I have done some traveling recently, almost 1200 miles over the course of three days, twice in a two week period. I-95 was not a joy, several slowdowns and a place or two stop and go for several miles. Sometimes it seemed for no apparent reason when got to the spot that seemed to be the pinch point. Fortunately, I wasn't involved in any accidents.

I usually forgot that I was

Aylesea Malcolm's picture

I usually forgot that I was on two wheels and could go around cars and obstacles.

Full time activity

Jamie Lee's picture

Behind the wheel of a passenger car, an 18 wheeler, a motor bike, or any other type of vehicle, driving is a full time job. Anger has no place behind the wheel, though it can be hard to leave it behind.

The worst are the times a person can't remember much of the drive, because their mind was elsewhere. Or they dozed off.

Others have feelings too.