The Power of One

Printer-friendly version

And so, in keeping with the scientific theme, another old and horrendously formatted (thank you final draft pro and Pages) script.

This is my “love letter”, so to speak to Japanese anime in the vein of the cut scenes of Final Fantasy 7. “The Power of One” is about a young wonan who had kept after the reactors that power the city of Tal Elib Vee on the Jovin moon of Io.

The Power of One
© 1999-2003
Based on the music of Collective Soul and Sting

FADE IN

EXT. DESERT-EVENING
SIREN (7, long hair, ceremonial amulets adorn his cloak) sits next to MORPHIS (9, long hair; he holds a large staff in his hands.

The two look at the bright lights of a city in the distance. A man steps in behind them.
ID' MOREA (60's long hair, dark skin) walks ahead with an adorned staff in his hand.

A drum beats in the distance.

ID MOREA
Our destruction, my sons. The city of the Thiff-steareya. It is forbidden as it stands to wipe us off of the face of Io.

He claps his hands. The boys get up.

Morphis, walks beside Id Morea as Siren hesitates.

ID MOREA
Siren.

Siren steals a glance at the city as he runs to catch up.

INT. CABIN
A longhouse of sorts with several men, women and children-- all of them possess tattoos and a few have strange disfigurements.

In 2234, Earth sent a colony ship to the outer planets. The ship was nothing more than a “space can”—with sixty colonists, ten crew members and three R.O.B.’s-Robotic Operations Builders. The ship crash landed on the Jovian moon Io within what was called “the Forever Plain”; named as such as it took nearly a lifetime before they could finally leave the area.

The colonists, cut off from Earth, began their new life, adopting their own society and codes. For over three hundred years, they were Ioian-the caretakers of their world, until the arrival of another colonist ship.

EXT. DESERT-DAY (FLASHBACK)

A ship lies on fire in the sand.
MEN and WOMEN stagger out of the craft and into the blazing heat of the planet's atmosphere.

The man jumps from the cliff and effortlessly hops down the rock face.

He loses his footing when a ROAR of engines shakes him off- balance.

A large ship with the emblem: EarthStar Defense Command rockets past.

VENGAS VO (CONT'D)
Until the arrival of another colonist ship.

EXT. CITY-DAY
The small city of Tal Elab Vee and its surrounding wall take shape.

EXT. DESERT-CONTINUES
VENGAS (now 15, hair cut short, his clothes more "colonial" than native) stands and looks up at the bright sun-his hand shades his eyes.

VENGAS VO
And the Ionion way of life began to die.within me.

FLASHBACK ENDS

INT. REACTOR CORE SHAFT-TEN YEARS LATER
A long, smooth walled shaft; brightly lit up by recessed lights.

KYLIE JOVANKAH (16; slender, well-defined and relatively pale) wears an old uniform with tools on her beltline.

She dangles upside-down in front of a console panel on the wall.

An earpiece hangs off of her right ear.

“Five minutes until power reaction.”
“I'm aware of it, Dero.”

She holds a set of pliers on top of a box and strikes the box with another tool.

KYLIE

INT. REACTOR CONTROL ROOM
A wall of ancient computer systems flash against the smooth gold orb head of DERO--A Reactor Control android.

He observes a monitor which shows three reactor shafts and data, all run by at frightening speeds.

Your heart rate and internal temperature are rising.

Thank you again.
Would it not make more sense, to allow a servobot to repair the system this time?

She taps keys on the console.

Servos have been malfunctioning as of lately, Dero. Check your system files.
Ah yes, my error.
It happens.
With a human, maybe.
How much time do I have, Dero?

I
Dero looks at a monitor: Kylie lowers herself, via two grappling cables on her left arm, further away from the boom and down the long, dark shaft.

Two minutes remaining.
Two?
Ion charging systems have initiated.
I'll have the repair done in one minute. Open terminal.

Before her, a small terminal raises from the wall. She taps at the keys.

Geo-thermal conversion commencing.
Almost got it.

Kylie rapidly taps at several keys embedded on a small console on the wall.

She closes the panel and flips her self right-side.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
A warning tone emits from Dero's console.

Malfunction. Control door one.
Dero, what is the malfunction?
Security checks have not been authorized.
What are you waiting for then?
Beginning security check.

DERO
One minute remaining.

INT. REACTOR SHAFT
Below, a chain reaction begins as blue electrical beams surge around the wall.

DERO OS
Security check has been completed. Doors stand ready.

KYLIE
Close terminal.
A steady rumble echoes from below as Kylie rappels back to the boom.

DERO OS
Ten seconds, Kylie.
Thank you.

She jumps up onto the boom and runs to the central tower. The boom lowers down as the rumbling increases.

DERO OS
Beginning countdown. Five, four three two-
Door!
--One. Reactors two and three, firing.

The wall rolls away and Kylie enters inside the shaft.

INT. HALL
She taps at three keys on the door, slams her fist and tries the manual close lock.

The lock slams shut as the shaft floods with a powerful energy ribbon.

INT. CORRIDOR
KYLIE OS

New record Dero.
I cannot say I wish to challenge.
Kylie leans up against the wall, she sweats profusely and grasps at her chest.

KYLIE
Neither do I.

She walks down a corridor and looks out through the glass- like corridor's walls at one of three reactor cores.

She nods to it.

EXT. FACILIITY--UNDERGROUND
The circular complex sits in the middle of a darkened shaft itself. The facility is held to the walls by colossal support beams and buttresses.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL ROOM
Dero waves his hand over the console.

DERO
Kylie, output is at 9.8 pika.

Kylie stands before another window that shows the reactor shafts and reactor control.

She looks to each reactor shaft and at the small machines that can be seen on the outside: the servobots.

She walks away from the window and looks back at a picture of her father on the wall.

She smiles for a brief second and then walks down the corridor.

RYDOM (VO)
You're as stubborn as your mother.
I am?
Yes. Stay that way

INT. CORE ROOM (FLASHBACK)
A YOUNG KYLIE stands next to her father, RYDOM (40's, pale, rather paunch)

RYDOM
Do you where we are?
KYLIE
Sub-section 32.below reactor three.
RYDOM
Come, you must see this.
They walk to the center of the room-a closed bulkhead.
RYDOM (CONT'D)
We have to get it set up, but one day, this section will be activated and the Omega Reactor will go on- line. No more charging two cores and readying a third.the power of one, Kylie.

Kylie nods.
RYDOM (CONT'D)
We have a lot of work to do.we-
Rydom fades away as Kylie-now full grown--stands in the same room-very little has changed.

KYLIE
We'll get it fired up.one day.
She hits her hand against the wall.

And that day is today. Dero.
Yes, Kylie.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Dero stands within an alcove--a recharge station.
KYLIE OS

I need to know the location of the manual firing controls.

Dero disconnects himself from the station. He walks to the command console.
DERO
Firing control is located on sub- floor three. Section Two.
Have a power servo meet me there.
Compliance.

Kylie walks to a lift.

INT. SUB-FLOOR THREE
In a word: Dark.
Kylie walks into the room with an apparatus on her arm that projects a beam of light.

A wheeled robot follows behind her.
She walks back enormous equipment to reach a non-functional computer.

The servobot rolls up to the computer and locks into a port on the side. The console lights up.

DERO OS
Console is in sync with reactor control.

KYLIE
Good, we need to see the firing pattern between all three reactors.

She taps at the console as Dero's face appears in the corner of the screen.

DERO OS
What are you doing, Kylie?
KYLIE
We're firing all of the reactors at once.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL--LATER
Kylie stands next to Dero as she attaches a harness to her uniform.

Again? S

he runs ahead.

DERO

KYLIE
Ready the system!
DERO
Compliance.

INT. MAIN REACTOR CHAMBER
Kylie side steps to a computer terminal in the upper scaffolding of the reactor core.

She looks at the console.
It reads: CONTROL OVERRIDE SYSTEM.
KYLIE
Dero, how soon can all three reactors be fired?

DERO
Five minute window at this point. Next reaction time will be in seven hours.

KYLIE
We'll be ready in three.
She taps at several keys on the console.

INT. CONTROL ROOM
Dero stands before the system as a long tone sounds out.
DERO
We now have simul control over all three reactors.

INT. MAIN REACTOR CHAMBER
Kylie runs from her position, back to the ladder.
KYLIE
Time until geo-thermal conversion?
DERO OS
Four minutes, ten seconds on reactors one and two; six minutes on reactor three.

Kylie climbs the ladder and closes the access hatch.
KYLIE
Slow down the reactions. Sync it.
DERO OS
Compliance.

INT. REACTOR CORE
The system starts--intense energy beams build.
DEROS
Reactors now in sync. Dampener doors are ready. All systems go.

INT. CENTER SHAFT
Kylie climbs the ladder back to reactor control.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL--A MINUTE LATER
The monitor shows three towers, instead of two as it once did.

Kylie stands next to Dero as he monitors the system.
DERO
Counting down.
KYLIE
Here we go, Dad.

INT. REACTOR SHAFTS
The three shafts are shown in a sequence as Dero continues to countdown.

DERO
Five, four, three, two, one, reactors firing!

Kylie stares intently at the monitor as the room violently rocks.

INT. REACTOR SHAFT
An explosion occurs at one of the connection points. A Bulk head door closes, followed by an emergency alarm.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL

DERO
Implosion. Shaft two. Security doors are in place. No detection available on the damage.

Another explosion occurs. Kylie looks back to the window and sees the damaged shaft.

DERO (CONT'D)
Implosion two. Shaft one. Security doors are in place. No detection available on the damage though.

KYLIE
No!

She slams her hands against the wall.

DERO
Repairs are not possible without shutting down the reactors.

KYLIE
(whisper)
They've never been turned off...how-
-
Kylie runs out of reactor control.

INT. CORRIDOR
An emergency alarm blares through the facility.

COMPUTER VOICE
Emergency....Emergency...Reactor Overload.

KYLIE
Dero, can you shut it down?

DERO OS
Negative.

KYLIE
Dammit!

She turns on the lift.

INT. REACTOR CORE
She looks ahead and runs across the bridge span to an ancient machine.

KYLIE
(whisper)
What's the sequence?

She begins to tap at keys as the door on the other side of the bridge slams closed.

DERO VO
B--khead d--...in place.

KYLIE
Dero, you're cutting out.

COMPuTER VOICE
Emergency.Emergency.Reactor overload.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Dero taps at the console at a lightning pace as the alarm continues.

KYLIE VO
...ero, co-....in.

DERO
Kylie, activate the cooling system, shutdown.

COMPUTER VOICE
Emergency.Emergency.Reactor overload.

INT. REACTOR CORE
Kylie continues to work as the alarms continue to blare.

Got it!

KYLIE

She taps out the remaining sequence.
The alarms cease, followed by a deafening HISS.

INT. REACTION ROOM
The powerful rods within the core lay shattered and suspended within a blue-like substance: The reactors are off-line.

INT. REACTOR CORE
The word: OFF-LINE flashes next to the reactor system readout.

Kylie's strained expression bleeds.

KYLIE
It's never been off-line...

EXT. FACILITY--UNDERGROUND
The shafts show heavy damage.

EXT. SURFACE DESERT--DAYBREAK
A decrepit military installation with ramshackle structures forming a perimeter sits in the desolate wasteland.

A giant ship, destroyed and converted into a make-shift building-lies buried in the sand.

EXT. BUILDING--DAY
Five MEN wearing uniforms and other insignia walk toward an old bearded man: ID'MOREA (100's, weary but still with spite).

The man in front, SIREN Vengas (26, go-getter, a toned complexion) flashes both of his hands at the older man.

Peace from Tal Elab Vee.
You're kind words are of a farce, my young predator.
Morea, I come as family...

Morea walks away but Vengas follows him.

MOREA
Family who brings a contingent of wolves to devour our people.

VENGAS
I am an officer of the Tal Elab Vee Power Administration. I am to serve you with the contract that you owe upon.

MOREA
Is blood not a greater contract?

VENGAS
I care for everyone here, I--

MOREA
Yet you hold us captive to your power--the power of this planet which should be for all who live on Io...not only for the ones who can pay for it.

VENGAS
There are things that are out of my hands, Morea. Yes, I feel for our people, I feel for everyone: from the man and his daughter starving-

Morea leans on the structure that has a sign on it that reads: TEVGP. (Tal Elab Vee Geo-Thermal Power)

MOREA
Spare me your morality, young Vengas...for you know nothing of suffering or anguish or the inability to pay for things. You do nothing from your heart...you're as cold as the ground you suck the life-force from.
It's cold here at night in the forever plane, isn't it, grandfather?
Be'oth go'one!

Vengas nods to Morea and walks back to the four men, each has a small gun with him.

VENGAS
Four days, gentlemen, then we come back to--

Vengas' computer begins to beep. He looks at it for a moment.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Return to admin...geo thermal core..
(to men) Let's go.

EXT. DESERT--MORNING
Three small ships glide quickly through the desert.

INT. CRAFT
Vengas taps at a console before him. The system beeps.
VENGAS
This is Vengas, what's going on?
A voice breaks up for a few seconds before it becomes clear.
GRAZIER OS
Out at the Ionian camp?
VENGAS
Bloodsuckers...Grazier, pathetic, whining bloodsuckers. Should have exterminated them a long time ago.
But they bring in credits.
You have to choke it out of them, Grazier, almost to the point of waging war with TEV...the government...everyone wants to screw with the powers that be.
Yeah, well that's about what's going on.
Can you be more specific?
I'm on my way to TEV, I'm sure Rigsby will give us the earful then.
Right.

EXT. DESERT
The craft meet up to fly alongside a long, flying train (A TurboXpress) as they approach the walled city of Tal Elab Vee.

EXT. CITY-MIDDAY
The Ionian capital city of Tal Elib Vee. Circular-shaped and enclosed by a thick wall which house--on seven points around the circumference--reactor towers, each appears to have been dormant for quite some time.

EXT. STREET--CONTINUED
The city is dirty in the lower part, slum-like and with little control or order from the police powers.

The lights on the streets barely provide enough light to see by; most people build fires to stay warm. All over are signs that state: "Power to the People: Tal Elib Vee Geo Thermal Power: Use it!"

EXT. UPPER CITY LEVEL
Not much different on the upper level of city, except for more traffic and some police around.

The same signs are posted everywhere, yet the lights here are low key as well.

EXT. TEVGT POWER BUILDING
The towering Tal Elab Vee Geo-thermal Power Administration Building stands in the center of the city.

INT. TEVGT POWER BUILDING
A marvelous structure with fountains and skywalks.
The Power Administration building's interior is bathed in soft light.

A RECEPTIONIST looks up as twenty MEN run into the building one after the other and into the central elevators.

INT. TEVGT BUILDING--THIRTIETH FLOOR
The twenty men file into a conference room and sit down at a massive table.

Vengas files in after them and walks directly over to an older man, Jamay GRAZIER (47; a harried man, the look of worry and pain permanently etched into his forehead).

GRAZIER
You made it.
Layoffs?

Both men walk over to sit at the table.

No, but I hear Valcom's ready to implode though.
What's up his--?

Grazier holds his hand up to Vengas as the CEO of the
Company: Rigsby VALCOM (63) walks in with a contorted face of anger and rage.

He slams his hands down on the table.
A three-dimensional image of a reactor system takes up the front half of the room.
Valcom turns to the room, his eyes now calm.
VALCOM
Our geo-thermal reactor went offline an hour ago. Why?

1ST SUITED MAN
Sensor readings are inconclusive
However, it may only be a control flow door malfunction.

Valcom slams the button on the table, the image fades.
VALCOM
I don't care what the issue is...but every second that goes by means there is less power and our ability to lead this city falls further. Now, gentlemen...before this becomes an even bigger problem, I want answers.

Murmuring runs through the ranks.
VENGAS
Mr. Valcom, I intend to take a research team down below to find out what is going on, sir.

VALCOM
Well, Siren. You see, gentlemen? Someone who takes the initiative; to Hell with the sensors!

VENGAS
Give me two hours.
Valcom nods as Vengas leaves the room.

Graizer follows.

INT. CORRIDOR
The men walk to the elevator shaft.
GRAZIER
You smart-talk your way into going down into the planet? You know nothing of reactor technology.
But you do.
Do you believe it's simply a sensor malfunction?
What does it matter? This will give us the chance to move on up the ladder. Twentieth floor.
Sucking up isn't new to you, is it?
Considering I'm your boss, no.

Both men chuckle.

GRAZIER
I can get a hold of some security guards and a few specialized engineers.

The elevator stops on the twentieth floor. The door opens and Grazier steps out.

INT. CORRIDOR
Grazier turns back to Vengas.
VENGAS
Good, have them meet us at the shaft site--within the next hour.

Grazier nods as the door closes.

INT. ELEVATOR
VENGAS
Main floor.
Vengas looks out at the city around him as the elevator continues its descent.

He looks to the dead reactors on the wall.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Keep one step ahead, eyes on the line, power for the people...and their will is mine.

EXT. ADMINISTRATION BUILDING-MIDDAY
A car sits at the curb.
The door opens automatically and Vengas climbs inside.

INT. CAR
The interior is quite exquisite.
DRIVER VO
Where to, sir?
VENGAS
Daemas District.

EXT. CAR--CONTINUED
The car drives a few feet before taking off into the air.

INT. APARTMENT
Vengas' apartment in the upper city.
Lavishly decorated with art and sophisticated sculptures...nothing that serves function except a powerful computer on the far wall.

Vengas sits down at the console and taps in a code. A picture of Grazier appears on the monitor.
VENGAS
I surpassed you, Grazier...and Mr. Valcom...you're next on my list.

A picture of Rigsby Valcom comes on next.
Vengas turns away from the computer and walks to a grand window, and surveys the city.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
TEV owns this city, so is it that I own this city as well...or at least one day I will. A simple fix, a turn of a gear...I take the full credit of it...and...

EXT. BUILDING--LOWER CITY--AN HOUR LATER
Behind eight well-armed guards and a security fence:
Vengas, Grazier, four ENGINEERS--each carrying tools of some sort-- and five armed GUARDS/SOLDIERS stand before a building with a key-card access door.

The building reads: "Geo-Thermal Control Access Shaft #1".
Vengas and Grazier scan a card through the reader--the heavy door slides over.

VENGAS (VO)
Life is beautiful.

INT. BUILDING
An open, cavern-like space with machinery everywhere.

A room-like box sits in the dead center of the room.
The heavy doors slide shut as Vengas walks to the center. He taps at the console, bringing the equipment to life.
VENGAS
All aboard for the ride to Hell.
Nice way to put it.

Vengas shrugs as the doors to the box open.

INT. ROOM
Grazier secures the door and locks it as Vengas stands at a console and taps at keys.
The others sit down and secure themselves.
VENGAS
This is Vengas of TEVGT Power Admin. We're ready for descent.

VOICE OVER COM.
Confirmed, unlocking system.

Engines engage and the room sinks into the floor.

INT. TRAM SHAFT
The tram continues its descent.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL--A FEW HOURS LATER
Dero stands at the console as an emergency alarm goes off.

Kylie?

EXT. REACTOR SHAFT
Kylie stands in the middle of the hole in the shaft wall-she surveys the damage.

Dero?
We have a prox alarm. Something from the surface is coming down.
Sensor malfunction?
Unknown. It would be wise to return to reactor control.

Kylie jumps down the shaft, free-falling.

INT. TRAM-SHAFT CORRIDOR

On my way!

KYLIE OS

The tram comes to an abrupt halt and the door unlocks. The soldiers step out first, weapons drawn.
Vengas and Grazier follow, with the engineers taking up the rear.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Kylie runs into the room.

Locks!
Already implemented.
Bulkhead doors?
One moment.

INT. CORRIDOR
A heavy door closes and locks.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Kylie sits down in front of another console.
She looks at amonitor that shows a static-filled picture of severalpeople--she makes out the long rifles of the soldiers.

KYLIE
Whoever they are, they're armed.

INT. TRAM SHAFT CORRIDOR
Grazier takes out a handheld instrument and runs it over the security lock.

The lock beeps, clicks and opens the door.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
DERO

Override of lock. The door is now open.

Kylie walks in with a pulse rifle in her hand.
She checks its power level and then looks to Dero.

Never used this before.
Your father hoped you'd never have to.
Secure this room when I leave.
Compliance.

INT. CORRIDOR
The bulkhead stands in their way.
Vengas, using a similar looking device as Grazier, waves his hand in front of a panel.

A click sounds off and the bulkhead rolls back.
Kylie, runs down the corridor at them, her gun blazing. She hits a guard-he crumples to the ground.
She then nails another guard, then another-
-The engineers throw themselves to the floor.
Grazier points a pistol at Kylie as she has places her rifle next to his head.

KYLIE
Who are you?
GRAZIER
Tal Elab Vee Geo Thermal...who the hell are you?

Kylie sees the insignia on his uniform.
KYLIE
(whispered) Tal Elab Vee Geo.

She puts her gun down and stands at attention
KYLIE (CONT'D)

Jovankah, Kylie. Reactor Controller.

Both men look at her--each note her features.

VENGAS
Reactor Controller?
Yes sir.
Take us to reactor control.

Kylie nods.

DERO OS
Status, Kylie?

KYLIE
They're from Tal Elab Vee. Cancel security functions. We're on our way.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL--LATER
The men stand before the console as Kylie speaks.

KYLIE
We attempted to fire off all three reactors at once, but the stress on the shafts was too great.
The reactor is off-line at this moment. It is surrounded in C-23 gel.

Vengas nods.
GRAZIER
(To Kylie)
Do you have any idea what you have done?

Vengas holds his hand up.
VENGAS
Grazier, this young woman and this android have been keeping the core running...has it only been the two of you?

Kylie nods.
Vengas taps at his handheld unit.
GRAZIER
(to the engineers)
Begin repairs, we have to get the systems up and running within a short time.

DERO
I will provide you with any information you may require.

Vengas nods absent-mindedly as he looks at a picture of Kylie's family--taken twelve years ago on his computer.

He then looks at Kylie as she stares back at him--at attention.

At ease.

VENGAS

Kylie relaxes a bit, but still feels apprehensive. Grazier looms over the monstrous console, his eyes wide.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Where is Rydom?

Dead.

KYLIE

Vengas nods as Grazier walks to him.
GRAZIER
There are issues with how this facility is configured. Look at this.

Grazier brings Vengas to the main console as Dero strikes a key.

An image of the facility, with several points flashing, comes on.

GRAZIER (CONT'D)
We're in the center, right up there. Look around, all of these systems have to be thrown manually or configured by hand in order to fire the reactors, I--

Again, both men look back to Kylie, who surveys the damage out the window.

Her muscle tone and limber body show through.
VENGAS
Kylie, you do all of this yourself?

Yes.

KYLIE

VENGAS
Quite. Well, I would like to see the damage to the reactor core. Show me.

Kylie nods as Vengas motions for an engineer to accompany them.

INT. REACTION ROOM
The three stand above the room--tinted in a blue hue from the gel-like substance below.

ENGINEER
The gel will need to be cleared out, that will take a day to accomplish.

VENGAS
Take the necessary steps.
KYLIE
Permission to speak, sir.
Vengas nods.
KYLIE (CONT'D)
My attempt to fire all three was only to try and help, sir.

VENGAS
Understood, these things happen from time to time...hey, fortunately there wasn't a meltdown.

Kylie nods to him and then turns back to the engineer who types on a computer pad.

ENGINEER
Where are the rods stored?
KYLIE
Sub-floor five.
ENGINEER
(to Vengas)
We'll need to contact the surface for more equipment.
(MORE)

ENGINEER (CONT'D)
I doubt there is enough to repair the damages...at least in here alone.

VENGAS
Just notate the findings, we'll send the information back to TEV Admin and then begin the repair work.

Kylie stares at the engineer as he shakes his head and continues to type on his hand-held computer.

INT. CORRIDOR
Grazier stands at the window and looks at the facility.

GRAZIER
It's all right here--the source of my livelihood--in the hands of a teenager.

He walks down the hallway.

GRAZIER (CONT'D)
Vengas.conceited jackass; He was nothing without me...Your power trip, Vengas--is going to go just as this reactor did...by the hands of that girl. Just wait and see.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Grazier opens the door to reactor control, slips in and moves to a niche in the room, listening.

VENGAS
Then come with me.
KYLIE
I can't do that, I--
VENGAS
You wear that uniform?

Yes sir.

Then consider this an order. You will come to the surface with me for debriefing.

But I-

KYLIE

VENGAS
I have the best engineers here to see to it that the systems will be operational. Besides, is it not time for a vacation?
A what?
To not work; to not live and die by clock for at least a few days.
Besides, it will give you the chance to see what your efforts do for everyone on the surface.

I'd like to think about it, if I may.
This an order. You will meet me at the tram shaft in one hour.
Yes sir.
Dismissed.

Kylie turns and leaves the room.
Grazier steps out of the niche and surprises Vengas.

GRAZIER
What the hell are you doing? Giving commands like you run this operation.
The sooner she is away from here, the sooner you can override the settings and repair the damage. I plan on having Valcom eating out of the palm of my hand...if not from my ass. By the way, Grazier,...I DO run this operation.
And I’m thinking of her as an executive benefit.

Grazier looks around at the machinery.

GRAZIER
We should be up and running in five days

INT. CORRIDOR
They walk down the hall.

VENGAS
I'm going to the surface with the service requests. They'll send the equipment within a few hours. In two days I want a full report.

Of course.

GRAZIER

VENGAS
Oh yes, and Grazier...get rid of the android as soon as we leave...it's archaic and will serve no purpose after the configurations are in place
Duly noted.

INT. TRAM SHAFT--AN HOUR LATER
The tram ascends at a quick pace.

INT. TRAM CAR
Kylie sits down, her eyes closed. She wears a simple dress and carries a large bag along with her.

Vengas stands at the controls.
VENGAS
In a few minutes, we should be in range to communicate with TEV.

Kylie nods.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
You've never been to the surface, have you?

She shakes her head.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Your father ever tell you anything about the surface?

KYLIE
all that mattered were the reactors.

VENGAS
I applaud his attention to duty...and yours as well.
When will I be able to return?
A few days, then we'll look at the system...but to be honest...once you see what the surface has to offer--I don't think we'll want to go back.
It's my home.
Time to give you a change of scenery.

INT. TRAM SHAFT
The tram continues to climb.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Grazier stands beside Dero as he looks at the monitor.
GRAZIER
State your designation.
DERO
Cytech lifeform, Dero: Dyna- Engineering Robotic Operations. Comissioned by Tal Elab Vee Geo- Thermal Power Administration in 2608.

GRAZIER
How long have you been in full operation?

DERO
Forty-five years. I am the last of the four Dero units sent in with the initial Reactor Control Team.

Grazier signals to one of the soldiers.
GRAZIER
Time to retire.
He snaps his fingers and the soldier fires at Dero, destroying his body and systems.

INT. SHAFT ACCESS BUILDING
The tram reaches the top and the system shuts down. The door unlocks and opens.
Vengas and Kylie walk out.

EXT. BUILDING-LATE AFTERNOON
Kylie has her eyes closed, due to the light.

Vengas leads her outside to the daylight and to an awaiting limo type car with tinted windows.

INT. LIMO
Vengas sits on one seat as Kylie sits across from him. Vengas closes the door and taps a key.
VENGAS
Admin building.

Yes sir.

EXT. LIMO
The craft takes off--en route to the TEV Building.

INT. LIMO
Vengas opens a case on the floor and hands a pair of sunglasses to Kylie.

VENGAS
Here, you may wish to put these on-- until your eyes adjust

Kylie puts on them on, and sees everything in a shade of gray.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
We'll try to stay out of the sunlight the best we can.

Kylie looks out the window at the city below.
KYLIE
(whispered)
All these people...

INT. ELEVATOR--THE TEV BUILDING
Kylie has her hands on the glass as the elevator ascends up the side of the building.

VENGAS
Tal Elab Vee, in all her splendor.
KYLIE
How many people live here?
VENGAS
Eight million--according to census reports.

She turns to him.
KYLIE
What do you do?

Me?
What do you do for this city?
The same as you, Kylie: make it run.

Kylie turns back to the window as Vengas smiles.

INT. VALCOM'S OFFICE
Valcom sits behind his desk, speaking to a man on a desktop console who replies in English.

VALCOM
I have my best men on the issue.
Iyam dotha behev.
How many times must I..? The situation is in hand, I--

Vangas and Kylie enter the room.

VOICE
Shi'tak, Iya, dotha behav!
Valcom cancels the connection and looks at Vengas.
VENGAS
Here is the work order report for the geo-thermal reactor.

Vengas hands him his handheld.
Valcom inserts it into a computer and then gives the unit back to Vengas.

VALCOM
And who is this?
This is Kylie. Kylie this is CEO of Tal Elab Vee Geo; Rigsby Valcom.

VALCOM
Are you the one who destroyed the reactor?

KYLIE
I didn't destroy it.
VALCOM
The hell you didn't! Do you know what kind of crisis I've had over what you did?

KYLIE
You have no idea what even happened.

VALCOM
I know what happened--The power to the whole damn continent went out.
(to Vengas)
I've had the Ionian Provisional Government down my back.

VENGAS
Ambassador Morea?
VALCOM
That's the bastard. Ionian halflives living in the desert.

Kylie glares at Valcom.

VENGAS
We estimate the reactor will be back on-line in less than three days.

VALCOM
Good. As for you, young lady--
VENGAS
One moment, sir.
(to Kylie, whispered)
Could I have you wait in the hall, or--

Vengas goes out into the hallway and pulls back a woman, CLARISE.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
Clarise, could you escort Kylie to my office....please?

Of course.

CLARISE

She walks Kylie out of the room.
Kylie looks back to Vengas and Valcom as the door closes behind her.

VENGAS
As you were saying?
VALCOM
Siren, you have got some balls to pull that--

VENGAS
Mr. Valcom, sir....that girl has been controlling our systems by herself for almost ten years now-- and this one thing has happened.
We've all assumed computers and diagnostics, but-

Vengas walks to the grand window in Valcom's office and looks out as he speaks.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
Worse things have happened: Magnetic rail accidents, spaceport explosions...and these happen on a day to day basis...but ten years, sir, ten. And this is the only thing that has happened.

Valcom glares toward Vengas as he turns back around.
VALCOM
Are you going anywhere with this, Siren?

VENGAS
The girl has a place here, at TEV. I'd like to bring her into training.

VALCOM
You're serious?

Yes sir.

VENGAS

VALCOM
Get her into the training program for the repair work. Then, go back out to Morea...cut him off.

VENGAS
Thank you, sir and I--...cut him off?

Vengas nods and then walks out of the office.

INT. VENGAS' OFFICE
Vengas' office is just like his home--overrun with art deco.
Kylie looks at a statue made of a black ore. She runs her hand down the smooth exterior.

Vengas enters the office, Kylie does not notice him.
VENGAS
Sorry, I'm sorry...and I apologize for what happened, I--

KYLIE
That man has no idea, I--

Vengas closes the door.
VENGAS
I agree, he doesn't know what really goes on, but we do. The repairs should be underway about now, I--say, are you hungry?

Kylie nods, slowly.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Then come with me, let me give you a tour of your brave new world.

Kylie nods as Vengas leads her to the door.

EXT. TERMINAL--DAY
Three small craft take off from a terminal and into the desert.

INT. CRAFT
Kylie--wearing the glasses--looks out at the desert.
VENGAS
The Forever Plane, Kylie.
She looks back at him, questioningly.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
When Io was first colonized, the inhabitants lived out here, in the wastelands, until their bodies were altered from it...strange shapes on their skin, charred lungs, slurred speech...they became the Ionion people. until a few hundred years later...then, everyone else came, pretty much wiped them all out.

KYLIE
Killed them?
VENGAS
That was the war, Kylie, a war against the Ionians and humans....Humans won, no real loss.

KYLIE
They all died?
VENGAS
Oh no, they were given homes here in the forever plane...but a lot of them choose to not feel grateful, they're spiteful of all we give them.

Kylie looks out at the desert and slowly takes off her glasses, her eyes do not adjust and she winces at the light.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
You'd be best to keep those on. It's only going to get brighter as we head into the plane.

EXT. DESERT
Vengas walks in front of Kylie and a contingent of soldiers.
Kylie looks ahead as several men come out of a building, including Morea.

MOREA
Then my thoughts were true and you have lied.

VENGAS
This is not my doing, Morea.
Vengas continues to walk over to the small structure. He takes out a purple card and swipes it through.

Morea, and the men around him stand, their mouths agape.
Kylie looks back and forth between the soldiers, the men and Vengas as he opens the door.

Kylie walks to him.
KYLIE
What are you doing?
VENGAS
Unfortunately, we have to terminate their power.

Why?

KYLIE

VENGAS
They have not paid for it, they are stealing power.

KYLIE
But, the power is free--my father always said that--

Power--

VENGAS

Vengas taps at several keys and opens a panel.
VBNGAS
Power, Kylie, is not free, it must be refined, generated, distributed and maintained...all of that costs...and the cost of not paying is--

Vengas removes a rod, shorting out the equipment.

EXT. IONION CAMP
The lights die in the buildings, the few machines around cease to run.

EXT. STRUCTURE

Darkness.

VENGAS

Morea looks to the ground.
MOREA
You sentence us to die.
VENGAS
No, I think not, ambassador. It is you who do so.

MOREA
This is not the way that it should be!

VENGAS
But it is how it is, grandfather.
Vengas walks away from the structure. Kylie looks at the confused men, women and children in the camp.

She runs up to Vengas.
KYLIE
Do you just leave these people, like this? Are they your family?

I have to.

VENGAS

KYLIE
Why? The power is free, it's from the planet's core, it--

VENGAS
We provide a service for the continent, not just Tal Elab Vee...everyone-and with reserves low, one day there may not be enough power to go around. A new reactor just cannot be surveyed, dug, and built overnight...Cost and resource fuel these issues...resources are low, cost goes up, people who cannot pay...

A solider walks up to Vengas

Orders?

SOLIDER

VENGA
Return to Admin, they're not going to do anything.

Kylie looks back at a child, her right eye black and sunken.
KYLIE
Are left to die in the desert.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
GRAZIER looks at the main console. The images of three engineers are seen.

ENGINEER ONE
The shafts are nearly repaired.

Nearly?

GRAZIER

ENGINEER ONE
We're dealing with limited manpower, sir.

GRAZIER
Status on the core?
ENGINEER TWO
We've drained the gel from the room. We'll be ready to test the rods within three hours.

GRAZIER
Let's try to boost the power...raw core to ten point one mika.

ENGINEER THREE
We'll make the adjustments.
GRAIZER
Grazier out.
The monitors go black as Grazier looks at the remains of Dero, shoved in the corner.

GRAZIE
How'd that girl survive down in this hell anyway?

He walks to the window and looks out.
GRAZIER
Vengas working Valcom into his hand.Damn.

INT. RESTAURANT
A fancy atmosphere, a bit too much considering Kylie's clothes. She sits across from Vengas. There is a multitude of food before her and only a small plate in front of him.

Kylie has touched very little of it though.

VENGAS
You've been quiet.
KYLIE
Will those people die?
VENGAS
Ionian? No, no, no...They live forever just about...they're scattered around, but they carry on.

KYLIE
Does everyone have to pay?
Vengas nods as he motions to her to eat as well. Kylie breaks off a chunk of bread from a large loaf.
VENGAS
As I said...there's a process...the raw power exerted by the reactors cannot be used to power anything until it is refined and controlled...unfortunately, there is not a lot of charge that makes it up the shafts and--well,when ever we cut into the reserves...

Kylie looks around at the people around them, all of them dressed elegantly, without a care in the world.

KYLIE
It doesn't seem right.
VENGAS
Nothing ever does, but the truth of the matter is that everything has a price, nothing comes free-- everybody has to owe someone.

KYLIE
I am not owned by anyone. You say I must pay for power....I never paid for any of it, yet I used it everyday...will you charge me for the power to keep your power going?

VENGAS
Well, logically, yes--

KYLIE
I've lived with a logically thinking machine my entire life, Mr. Vengas...and what you are saying--

VENGAS
Sometimes, Kylie, there is no logic to the situation. Business has no logic--it's like a reactor; yes, we control it in its mass--but we have no control over the true reactions.

KYLIE
Then the company is unstable.
VENGAS
I didn't say that.
KYLIE
Then your analogy is flawed.

Perhaps.

VENGAS

She gets up from the table, Vengas stands as well.
KYLIE
I must return to the reactors, please take me there.

VENGAS
Such diligence, but everything is taken care of. When we go down, it will be a new environment. If you wish, I will take you back...but I'd like you to think about things.

He walks over to her.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
You know, I talked to Mr. Valcom and he told me that he wanted you to work here, up here--where your skills and abilities can be put to a greater use.

KYLIE
Did he say this after I left?

VENGAS
Yes, I do admit he is a rather bitter man, but he has effectively led the company...and he thought so highly of your father's work.so, I--

Her eyes light up.
KYLIE
He knew my father?
VENGAS
Your father was a legend, Kylie...really. I saw the information on him...and Mr. Valcom was impressed, I only wish the man could be sincere and tell people the honest truth about things...but you know father types: they'd rather do it all themselves for their children--even if it kills them--their true feelings never coming out...

She looks down at her clothes.
KYLIE
I understand.

INT. REACTOR SUB-FLOOR SIX--11 YEARS AGO
A young KYLIE hangs upside-down next to her father--Rydom-- as he repairs a machine.

RYDOM
You see Kylie, this is how it fits in.

She nods.
RYDOM (CONT'D)
One day, Kylie...this will all be completed, all the reactors running as one, all at the same time, with no interruption, no converging--one day...we--

Rydom closes his eyes for a moment and then painstakingly reaches up to repel himself back up.

Kylie follows.

INT. PLATFORM
Rydom sets himself down and leans against the wall, holding his chest.

KYLIE
What is it, daddy?
RYDOM
Noth-nothing, Kylie--just tired I suppose.

She hugs him tightly as he sits, his chest heaves. FLASHBACK ENDS

INT. VENGAS' APARTMENT--EVENING
The window shows the night sky of the city.
Kylie looks out, still wearing her clothes from the underground.

Vengas carries a box in from another room.
VENGAS
I had these sent for you, they unfortunately arrived here instead of--Well, here, I'll let you look at them.

Kylie takes the box from him and looks inside.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
A gift from your family at TEV
She takes out a new uniform and a handheld computer.
KYLIE
Thank you. May I try them on later?
VENGAS
If you wish.
Vengas walks over to the window and looks out.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
I haven't always lived here...I fought my way up to get here. I started out repairing routing systems and in a few years, here I am on the board. You have greater potential, Kylie, over everybody here--you can be a real gift for TEV.

She picks up the handheld unit and walks back to the window.
KYLIE
My father thought I was a gift to him...he used to tell me about the power of one...and how we were going to make it happen one day..

The what?

VENGAS

Kylie taps at the handheld computer--it brings up an image of the reactor system.

KYLIE
My father's project, what he was working on before he died.

VENGAS
What was it?
KYLIE
Omega...I never was able to complete the work on it...I still do not know how far I ever got to--

Vengas takes Kylie's free hand and for a second the two look into each other's eyes.

He then taps a button on her computer, switching it off.
VENGAS
Well, I think we'd better call it a night. Busy day, tomorrow.

INT. SUB-FLOOR SIX
Grazier and three engineers stand before a strange device.

GRAZIER
What is it?
ENGINEER ONE
It appears to be a power system for the reactors

GRAZIER
This entire floor...a spare reactor? Back-up?

ENGINEER TWO
Nothing is connected to the primary systems...it may be a prototype.

GRAZIER
Note it, but this does not help getting primary systems on-line. We are wasting valuable resources gentlemen. We have until tomorrow night to report in.

ENGINEER ONE
Right away.
The three engineers walk away as Grazier goes to the elevator.

GRAZIER
Almost ready...a few days ahead of schedule. A Promotion and the look of despair on Vengas' face.

INT. VENGAS' APARTMNET--MORNING
Vengas' face reads tension as he stands before a monitor showing a massive crowd of people destroying vehicles and buildings.

ANNOUNCER VO
And in the lower city, police have had skirmishes with armed protestors who are enraged about the rising cost of power. This has been the second assault against the rising costs of power, administrated by the Tal Elab Vee Geo Thermal Power Administration.

Kylie walks from the hall, now wearing the new red and black TEVGT uniform.

ANNOUNCER VO (CONT'D)
Id Morea of the Ionian Provisional Government voiced his concerns over the TEV situation...

Morea's face comes up on the screen, his eyes stare right at Vengas.

MOREA
They are blackhearts. Wanting only what they desire...nothing to help the people. Io, once rich with blood...her blood now spews from her and is lapped up by the power elite. Fait-thul a Io!

The screen then shows a WOMAN wearing green, her hair a tint of green as well.

WOMAN
More on this story later. This is Ananova news, Tel Elab Vee.

The screen goes dark.
KYLIE
What's happened?
Vengas turns around to see her.
VENGAS
Very...very nice.

Thank-you.

KYLIE

VENGAS
Well, then, I guess it should be my duty to escort you to your first day?

KYLIE
Thank-you, I-I decided to try and see if I can help you.

VENGAS
Wonderful, well--
He looks at her again, his thoughts trailing.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
Let's, let's umm, let's get on it.

INT. POWER ADMIN. BUILDING, SIXTEENTH FLOOR
Kylie walks alongside Vengas down the hall and into a large room with wall to wall monitors.

Kylie stares wide-eyed at the sophisticated machinery.
VENGAS
State of the art.
She nods as another door opens and a tall man walks in to the room.

The man, ZEO, looms over Vengas and Kylie.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Ah, Zeo, this is Kylie.
Zeo nods.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Zeo is our head engineer.
Kylie looks at him, a bit apprehensive.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
I will leave you in his capable hands. I hope everything goes well for you, Kylie.

Vengas nods to Zeo and leaves the room.
Kylie and Zeo stare at each other for a moment before he motions for her to follow him.

Kylie looks back to the door Vengas left through and then follows Zeo out the other door.

INT. BUILDING--LOWER CITY--THREE HOURS LATER
Vengas stands a few feet away as the tram's support systems lock it into place on the ground.

The locks release and Vengas steps forward to meet Grazier.

GRAZIER
Ahead of schedule and damn it feels good.

VENGAS
Everything set?
GRAZIER
The system will be ready to fire tomorrow afternoon.

EXT. BUILDING--MIDDAY
The men walk to the car.
VENGAS
I'm impressed, Jamay...how did you manage that?

Vengas opens the car door.
GRAZIER
You wouldn't believe how many systems double-backed on each other...whoever designed the system-
-

INT. CAR
GRAZIER
--Was a maniac.
VENGAS
Do you have your report?
Grazier hands his terminal over to Vengas.
GRAZIER
So, did we excavate the tunnel?

Hmm?

VENGAS

GRAZIER
Charged her cells?

VENGAS
Oh, no, no Grazier, nothing like that.

GRAZIER
Losing your touch there, Vengas?
The car elevates into the air.
VENGAS
Perhaps, I--
GRAZIER
Shouldn't have brought her up here...her pureness is running off on you...

VENGAS
I turned the lights off on Id Morea.

Really?

GRAZIER

VENGAS
I'm still a heartless son of a bitch, Jamay, I haven't changed.

Vengas forcibly hands Grazier back his computer.
Grazier laughs heartily as Vengas looks out the window-- lost in thought.

GRAZIER
I assume you'll be making the report this afternoon?

VENGAS
Yes, report, yes, I'll be on it tonight.

GRAZIER
Ahh, to be back in the peaceful, bright city once again.

EXT. LOWER CITY--AFTERNOON
Kylie stands alongside Zeo and several other men-all surrounded by a platoon of well-armed soldiers.

They all walk toward a large building with a discolored crystal atop it.

Men, women and children yell at them from the shadows.
ZEO
Clear shot!
Three of the guards fire shots over the crowd--some people flee, others continue to scream at the group.

EXT. BUILDING--CONTINUES
Zeo taps at a control console and then manually lifts a huge lock.

Kylie glances at the people who are closing in on them.

Warn shot!

ZEO

The soldiers fire at the feet of the people.
The engineers, Zeo and Kylie enter the building as the guards stand at attention.

INT. BUILDING
Zeo turns on the lights and surveys the room.
ZEO
What you see here is what used to refine the power from geo-thermal core...it is no longer used directly anymore, as the power is rerouted to the main converter plant.

Kylie looks at the machinery--most of it matches the equipment in the underground facility.

ZEO (CONT'D)
Let me refresh everyone's memory: Initially, the reactor core would bring out a charge of 2.0 mikan...but this amplitude at the time was too unstable for the system to handle.

Kylie walks to a corner where the remains of DERO units lie on the ground.

ZEO (CONT'D)
...even with the matrix crystal and the surrounding power reactors on the side walls of the city...and then the war...

Zeo points up to the top of building--the roof is made of a crystal sphere.

ZEO (CONT'D)
The process was reconfigured then to the now primary system...So, the facility has been left in operation for training purposes only. We shall begin by going over
routine reactor maintenance and--
Kylie walks away from the group and climbs the long stairwell to the top of the building.

ZEO (CONT'D)
And where do you think you're going?

Kylie doesn't respond to him.
ZEO (CONT'D)
Get back here, girl.
Kylie turns back to him, glares, and then continues to climb.

INT. PRISM ROOM
The upper portion of the building--fifteen floors up from the ground--harbors the matrix prism.

The entire area is composed of multiple mirror-like panes-- pointing in various directions to refract the power from below.

Kylie stares at her reflections in the prisms
RYDOM (VO)
The reactor's power is run through the matrix prism...

KYLIE
But why was it changed?
Kylie continues to stare at her reflection.

INT. BUILDING MAIN FLOOR--THREE HOURS LATER
Vengas walks into the building and meets up with Zeo.
ZEO
It's looking bad, isn't it, Siren?
VENGAS
A bit, there is some rioting going on.

ZEO
It's everywhere we go...people are stressed.

VENGAS
We'll have the systems back up by tomorrow.

ZEO
And the price increase?
VENGAS
Out of my hands, Zeo. So, how has she been?

ZEO
Hell of an engineer, doesn't talk much, can't get her to listen to a lot of what I say either. But, she knows these things like she built them.

He looks around, but he doesn't see her.
VENGAS
As I thought she would. Where is she?

Zeo points up.
Vengas looks skyward to the prism room.

INT. PRISM ROOM
Vengas walks up the stairs to see Kylie standing in front of a central column. He stares at her for a few seconds, unsure of how to speak.

VENGAS
So, how did your first day go?
She turns to him for a moment.
KYLIE
Fine, Mr. Vengas.
VENGAS
Please, please, call me Siren.
Vengas looks at the other machines in the room.
KYLIE
Do you believe what you do is right?

VENGAS
There's no right or wrong to it, Kylie...it's my job.

KYLIE
But to deny people light, warmth...what does that do to you?

She turns around to face him.
KYLIE (CONT'D)
People are shot at because they can't get you to listen to them.

VENGAS
We listen to everyone.
KYLIE
Do you even listen to yourself? Do you hear what you're saying! Can you look at yourself in this--

She points to the prism.

(cont)

KYLIE (CONT'D)

And see what you are doing is wrong-
-everyone deserves to be warm and to be able to live.

VENGAS
There's a lot more to living then power--The Ionions lived without power for years and--

KYLIE
And you go and take it from them again! And you ARE Ionian!

Vengas looks at the prism--his reflection appears on several panes.

VENAGS
We take nothing from them-they take from us, Kylie, you and me and everyone at TEV...our livelihood is made from the people.

KYLIE
I don't live off of people. I will not force anyone to, I will not have people pay with their lives so I can live like you do!

VENGAS
Then go back to your hole in the ground! I brought you up here to show you how much more you could do, how much you could do for everybody and instead of embracing it you throw it back to me!

KYLIE & ID' MOREA OS
This is not the way that it should be!

Stunned by her words and the other voice in his head, Vengas steps back.

KYLIE
I know what really goes on here...you raise the prices, you lower reserves, you increase fear in people...and all the while, the ability to keep everything running is right here...and you choose not to use it.

VENGAS
Do you really want to know the truth, Kylie?...Then yes, you're right, that is how it is...the geo- thermal going off-line, bad timing, I'm afraid...but I'm one person, in a corporation...there is only so much one person can do.

KYLIE
You choose to do nothing!
VENGAS
I choose to live my life, do my job and keep this city running.

She walks to the stairway.
KYLIE
Yet, you do your job, and people who can't pay, who won't pay-are left with no way to help themselves...I don't know how you live with yourself everyday-knowing that.

She walks down the stairs as Vengas continues to look at himself in the panes before him.

INT. VENGAS' APARTMENT--NIGHT
Kylie lies asleep in a room as Vengas stands in the hallway, looking at her.

He walks into the main room and stands before the window. He then closes his eyes.

EXT. LOWER CITY-NIGHT
Vengas (at age 8) opens his eyes as he stares outside at darkness.

He sees a COUGHING MAN stand next to a fire-with green smoke.
VENGAS
How can it be like this?
Id Morea stands behind him.

MOREA
This is how it has been for a long time, young one. It will never be the dream we all knew it to be until--

BOY
I wish I could change it...but--
MOREA
But you are only one child, only one.

The boy nods.
MOREA (CONT'D)
Your brother fought with his
heart-he died for his love of this planet.

Morea kneels down to him.
MOREA (CONT'D)
Things can happen, if light is what we seek, then we look for within--

The boy looks around where he lives and then to Morea
MOREA (CONT'D)
--the power of one.

INT. APARTMENT--NIGHT
Vengas lies asleep next to the window.

INT. APARTMENT--MORNING
Kylie sits next to Vengas as he leans against the wall. She wears a light, dress-like garment.
KYLIE
I'm sorry, Siren.I shouldn't have judged you.I-

VENGAS
No, you're right, you're right about everything.

KYLIE
No, it's not my place to tell you what is-

VENGAS
No, you see, it's true.everything is true. There are reserves, they lie beneath our feet, there's no eminent loss of power, no crisis.just a behemoth administration that wants to rule the planet...and I'm a part of it.

He rises up and slams his hands on the window.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
I used to think-when I was a boy-if I could only get out of the pain I lived in.I was once like the ones I see everyday-my family lived in darkness everyday-until I
was able to get out and start here.
He opens his eyes to see Kylie next to him.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Never wanted to think that I'm working for the same organization that twenty years ago spat in my

face. And now, I feel that I have to try and stop it. Jamay and I, we could do it.stop this struggle.

How?

KYLIE

VENGAS
Your father's plan.what did you call it?

Omega.

KYLIE

Vengas walks away from the window, Kylie follows.
VENGAS
I want to look into the plans for the reactor..I-I need to
go and speak to Jamay as well, try to reverse, I-

Kylie looks at him, with saddened eyes.

What?

VENGAS (CONT'D)

Thank you.

KYLIE

She kisses him on the cheek.
VENGAS
I, I,'m going to look into the reactor.

KYLIE
And I'll go and meet with Zeo, he-
VENGAS
Kylie, no, you don't have to do that, you-

KYLIE
No, I want to go back, I want to continue to help..to help you.

Vengas looks at her for a moment.
VENGAS
I wish I could have met your father.

Vengas kisses her on the lips and then walks into the back room.

Kylie stands in front of the window, and looks to the power admin building.

INT. HALLWAY
Vengas and Grazier walk down a hallway inside the Power Admin. Building.
GRAZIER
What are you talking about?
VENGAS
There's something to her-- her...there's a reason things are arranged there--

GRAZIER
What do you plan to do?
They stop at the elevator
VENGAS
I need to look at some things. I'll need to go to the imagining room...Kylie will be up here shortly. If she comes in, tell her I'll be a few minutes late and I apologize, I-

GRAIZER
What did you find?
VENGAS
There's something about what you found and what she has talked about...something about the reactor core system, I need to look at it and then we'll bring it up with Valcom.

GRAZIER
I'm with you, Siren.
VENGAS
You'll tell her the news then?
Vengas steps into the elevator.
GRAZIER
She'll be ecstatic, just as I am.
VENGAS
This means a great deal--it will solve Io's energy problem, and maybe...well, let's just say my life will be complete.

GRAZIER
We'll talk to Valcom when you get back.

Vengas nods.
VENGAS
Imaging Room.
The elevator door closes.

Grazier claps his hands.
GRAZIER
Now the easy part.

INT. VENGAS' OFFICE
Grazier sits at Vengas' desk, admiring the seat and the room from his perspective.

He looks down at a clock on the desk and then looks to his watch...

GRAZIER
Only a matter of time.
He turns on the desk computer and brings up a display of the reactor core.

GRAZIER (CONT'D)
A few hours...and--
Grazier looks up to see Kylie in the doorway. He turns off the image and stands up.
GRAZIER (CONT'D)
Ahh, and how is our new engineer?
KYLIE
Fine, Mr. Graizer, thank you.
GRAZIER
Just glad everything is going well for you...to think that one day you may be one of the greatest here.

KYLIE
If I could only be half as great as my father was.

GRAZIER
Hmmm, perhaps one day you will.
KYLIE
My father was very proud of his work.

GRAZIER
Sounds like he had made quite the accomplishments.

KYLIE
Even Mr. Valcom remembered him.
Grazier cocks his head back and sighs.
GRAZIER
Well, Kylie, that's not exactly true.

KYLIE
What do you mean?

INT. IMAGING ROOM
Vengas stands in the middle of empty room on an elevated platform. This is the Holographic Imaging Room.

VENGAS
Display the Geo-Thermal Reactor System.

COMPUTER VOICE
Displaying now.
Around Vengas, a three-dimensional image of the reactor appears.

VENGAS
Remove non-essential systems.
The images change. Vengas squints as he looks at something in the distance.

VENGAS (CONT'D)
Rotate image.
The image turns, showing below the reactor facility.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
Computer, what is the system on sub- floor six.

COMPUTER VOICE
The Omega Reactor Core.

VENGAS
(whispered) Omega... Magnify!

The image zooms in and clears out to reveal a sophisticated system beneath the main reactors.

INT. VENGAS' OFFICE--CONTINUED
GRAZIER
To be honest, Kylie, they forgot all about you.

Forgot?

KYLIE

GRAIZER
Your father, the reactor team, they were all forgotten a few years after they descended into the ground. There is no record of your birth or your father's death. See for yourself.

He taps a key on the monitor.
Kylie looks at the monitor showing a picture of her father, the words AWOL flashing to the side of him.

KYLIE
What does this prove?
GRAZIER
It proves that all this time, your efforts have been in vain, for thankless people who never knew you were alive.

KYLIE
But Siren said that--
GRAZIER
Oh yes, we do need to talk about Siren, Kylie. He thinks nothing of you either. You're unique, a beautiful relic to him.

Kylie swallows hard.

GRAZIER (CONT'D)
A promotion and a pretty girl, that's all these corporate types think about...they don't see the value that we see in life: for the people, Kylie.

KYLIE
I can't believe in that.
GRAZIER
Kylie, Kylie, Kylie, we are scientists, viewers of technology and how it impacts others. Vengas is not like us.

KYLIE
I have to get back--.
GRAZIER
Shall I arrange for--
She shakes her head and runs out of the office.
Grazier smiles and walks out of the office as well, turning the other direction.

INT. ELEVATOR
Kylie slams herself into the elevator and rapidly presses the keypad.
KYLIE
I have to get back...I--
INT. HALLWAY--20th FLOOR
Vengas runs down the hallway and meets up with Grazier.
VENGAS
Where's Kylie?
GRAZIER
She ran down the hall--
VENGAS
And you didn't try to stop her?

GRAZIER
Hey, she was ready to kill me a few days ago, Siren, if she wants to leave, --

VENGAS
Okay, fine, alright, I'll find her.
Vengas runs to the elevator.
GRAIZER
(whisper)
Good luck, Siren...you're really going to need it.

He taps a button on his phone.
GRAZIER
Message to Rigsby Valcom: We'll be ready for that meeting in ten minutes.

EXT. BUILDING-LATE AFTERNOON
Vengas runs down the street when his phone/comm. beeps at him.

VENGAS
Siren here.
He slows down, but keeps walking.
GRAZIVER (VO)
Siren, Valcom's called a meeting.

Now?

VENGAS

Vengas turns back to the building.
GRAZIER
Issues concerning power management; the geo-thermal above everything.

VENGAS
Right, listen, Jamay, don't do anything until I get there. I have some information that will change a few things...but I, I need to find her.

GRAZIER VO
Valcom's not in the best of mood for delays. We have mobs at our door right now.

Vengas walks by screaming protestors holding signs written in an alien language.

VENGAS
Noted. Listen, yes, I will...I will be there. Just don't do anything until I get back.

He hangs up the phone and looks around him.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
(whispered)
I'll make it right, Kylie...I swear to you I will. Where are you?

EXT. CITY STREETS--CONTNUES
Vengas walks downs the street until he finds an automated taxi on the side of the road. He steps inside and closes the door.

INT. CAB
COMPUTER VOICE
Thank you for selecting Auto Drive Systems. Your destination please.

VENGAS
Daema District.
COMPUTER VOICE
En route to Daema District. Estimated ETA, two minutes.

The craft takes off into the sky.

INT. VENGAS' APARTMENT
Everything of value lies demolished.

Vengas stares at the room and then to the window, the only one thing in the room that is intact.

Vengas turns to the window and puts his hand on the glass. He looks in the corner of the room and sees the clothes Kylie was wearing earlier, now shredded.
He walks over and picks up a smashed statue. He lifts it over his head and throws it into the window--

The window shatters into shards as Vengas turns and walks away.

EXT. APRATMENT BUILDING
Vengas climbs back into the taxi, which is now dented. Pieces of a statue lie next to it.
VENGAS
TEV Power Admin Building, top speed.

COMPUTER VOICE
We're sorry, but this Auto Drive is out of service due to mechanical damage. Shall we hail you a new one?

INT. TEV ADMINISTATION BUILDING--25th FLOOR
Grazier stands in front of a console as men behind him sit down at the grand table.

GRAZIER
Computer, secure lock code Grazier, Jamay, alpha four.

COMPUTER VOICE
Security cleared.
GRAZIER
Disable communications from remote unit, Vengas, Siren until further notice.

COMPUTER VOICE
Mobile communications are now offline for Vengas, Siren until further notice.

Log-off.

GRAZIER

The computer beeps as Valcom walks into the room.
VALCOM
Let's get this meeting underway, gentlemen.

Grazier grins as he walks to the table.
GRAZIER
Mr. Valcom, the reactors have been fully repaired, and we expect to double the output.

Valcom looks at Grazier, nods approvingly.
GRAZIER (CONT'D)
I have the following schematic here, gentlemen, for you to consider...

EXT. TEV ADMINISTRATION BUILDING-EARLY EVENING
The protesting crowd has swelled to several blocks. Vengas weaves through the mob.
PROTESTOR ONE
I've spent all my credits just to keep my lights going, you thieves!

Vengas dodges around armed protestors as he tries to get into the building.

PROTESTER TWO
Refutaka, T-E-V
PROTESTOR THREE
I hope your children suffer like mine have!

Vengas looks back at the crowd for a moment, flashes his ID cards to the guards and runs inside.

INT. HALLWAY--25th FLOOR
Vengas runs down the hallway and meets up with Grazier.
GRAZIER
You missed the meeting.
VENGAS
I know, I tried to contact, but communications were out.

GRAZIER
Valcom's up in arms over the status of the reactor.

VENGAS
That's exactly what I need to talk to him about.

The two walk into Vengas' office.

INT. VENGAS' OFFICE
Vengas sits down at his desk.
GRAZIER
About the reactor?
Grazier picks up a crystal pyramid from off of Vengas' desk and sits down on the edge.

Vengas looks at him with a displeased look for a second but then takes out his hand held computer and hands it to Grazier.

VENGAS
I looked at the schematics for the reactor that we have on file and compared to them what is physically set--we have to go back down there.

Why?

GRAZIER

VENGAS
To reconfigure the system, you see-

GRAZIER
You can't just do that, Siren. The changes have been made and in three hours, the reactors will fire once again.

VENGAS
There's another way--Kylie's---
GRAZIER
Enough with the girl, Siren, enough. I've already placed my request before the board.

Vengas looks up at him, shocked.
VENGAS
You did what?
GRAZIER
Valcom endorsed and signed on it.
Vengas slams his hands down on his desk.

Damn you!

VENGAS

GRAZIER
I don't know what your plans are for life, Vengas, but I plan to keep my job and make a name for myself.

VENGAS
By backstabbing me?
Graizer walks back to the door.
GRAZIER
You brought this on yourself.
VENGAS
Get back here, Jamay, we're not through yet.

GRAZIER
No, actually we are. Oh, and by the way, you're fired.

What?

VENGAS

GRAZIER
I'm over you now, ah, yes, that was also discussed in the meeting. So, while you were doing whatever it was with the mole girl from below, I was dealing with business. You have ten minutes to vacate this building before I have security throw you out...and oh yes, good luck in finding her. It's a big city.

Vengas stares at him, his mouth agape.
GRAZIER (CONT'D)
Good day, Vengas. I must see to my professional glory.

Grazier opens the door and leaves.
Vengas walks over to the window and looks out at the city.
VENGAS
Where are you, Kylie...where have you gone?

EXT. TEV BUILDING--EVENING
Vengas again runs down the street.

EXT. LOWER CITY--SHAFT BUILDING--DUSK
Kylie stands a few feet away from the building.
No guards, but the building is protected by perimeter fencing.

She sees Grazier and four guards walk inside before the door closes.

She picks up a piece of metal and throws it at the fence. Sparks fly as the metal makes contact.
Vengas walks up behind her.
VENGAS
You won't get in that way.

KYLIE
Get away from me.

Kylie, I--

VENGAS

KYLIE
Grazier told me everything-you don't care about anything, you never have...you're just in it for the profit.

VENGAS
Maybe...but not anymore.
She turns to him.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
I was fired...by Grazier.

Why?

KYLIE

VENGAS
I believe in your plan. You see, your father's plan was there all along, his attempt was to fire off these generator reactors along the walls of the city...all planned out...but never implemented.

KYLIE
So the Omega reactor....
VENGAS
It provides the power in its pure form, allowing these generators to power all of Io--not just Tal Elab

Vee, not just for the few. They knew all about that, but greater control can be made by squeezing the supply dry--or make it seem that way.

KYLIE
He was right? My father?
VENGAS
The man was trying to do the work himself--thinking he'd save you from living down there.

Vengas moves closer to her.

KYLIE
Why didn't he tell me?
VENGAS
Maybe he just didn't get the chance, before--

There is a moment of silence between the two of them.
KYLIE
I'm sorry, Siren, I really am.

For what?

VENGAS

KYLIE
Your home, your job, everything.
He touches her shoulder.
VENGAS
Don't think that way-everything evens out, be it profit lines or the way we live.

KYLIE
Do you really believe that?
He puts his hand to her face.
VENGAS
I had someone show that to me, in more ways than one.

He kisses her lightly on the lips.
KYLIE
How do we activate the Omega reactor?

VENGAS
I thought you'd never ask.

He takes her hand.

EXT. BUILDING--DUSK
They stop in front of a building with a name plate by the door: "TEVGT Power Admin. SUPPLY SYSTEM. SECURED AREA"

Vengas walks up to a card reader and takes out a purple card.

VENGAS
Hopefully, this still works.

He swipes the reader; it beeps and a click sounds off.

INT. BUILDING

VENGAS (CONT'D)
We’re in

A dark interior with equipment neatly stored all around.
VENGAS
Back there.
He points to a round pod, six feet in diameter and a few feet wide.

KYLIE
What is it?
VENGAS
Transport pod....at one time, it was used to send supplies down to the reactor core...but...

Kylie examines the systems and powers it up.

KYLIE
It can be programmed for a set departure time.

VENGAS
Set for two minutes.

KYLIE
Two?

VENGAS
Yes and then come here.
He motions for her to step into the pod with him.

VENGAS (cont)
Help me slam the door closed.

The two work together to throw the access door down.
It latches into place just as the system beeps and drops the floor beneath the pod.

The pod freefalls down the shaft.

INT. POD
Vengas and Kylie lie crammed against one another.

KYLIE
I saw Grazier enter the building.

VENGAS
He's planning on firing the reactors all at once, with the new configurations...however, we'll have to change those modifications in order to...

KYLIE
I'm afraid...how do we know it will work.

VENGAS
It will work--right now we should only fear one thing.

KYLIE
What?

VENGAS
If the brakes work.

INT. POD SHAFT
The pod continues to fall until the shaft lights up.
Magnetic brakes light up to slow the pod's descent, but it still lands with a heavy slam to the shaft floor.

INT. ROOM

VENGAS
You okay?

Kylie nods as she holds her head.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
You go to reactor control and I'll try to complete the configurations.

Good luck.

KYLIE

VENGAS
Luck won't have a thing to do it. Let's meet each other at core control.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL

Dero...

KYLIE

She picks up Dero's head and sees her distorted reflection in it.

She then walks over to the console and places the head on top of the system.

KYLIE (CONT'D)
Talk to me, Dero.
She taps at several keys and the sound of static comes on.

Kylie.

DERO OS

KYLIE
What happened, Dero?
Kylie continues to type. On the screen a command line appears with the words: LOCK ENGAGED; J,K.
DERO
My body was destroyed by one of the men from the surface.

Who?

KYLIE

DERO VO
I do not know.

Kylie looks at her reflection on Dero's head and sees the figure of someone behind her.

By me.

GRAZIER

Grazier stands with a gun drawn.
GRAZIER (CONT'D)
Step away from the terminal, now.
Kylie backs away as Grazier sees what she's done.
GRAZIER (CONT'D)
Release the lock.

No.

KYLIE

He moves toward her and gestures with the gun.
GRAZIER
I said, release the lock!
Kylie stares him and does not move.

INT. LOWER CORRIDOR
Vengas hurriedly types out commands on a console and runs down the corridor to another console.

He then taps out a sequence on it before moving further down into the core room area.

INT. CORE CONTROL ROOM
Vengas stops at the console and looks at the machinery above and below him.

A SOLDIER in the room sees him and fires a shot at him. Vengas dodges behind several machines, as the guard
maddeningly fires his weapon and moves toward the place where Vengas hides.

The guard moves around the corner, in an attempt to surprise Vengas. who vanishes from sight.

The soldier looks up, and for a second sees Vengas--before he lands right on top of him.

The soldier's head hits the metal floor with a deadly "thunk"
Vengas takes the soldier's gun and runs past the "hidden" ladder in the wall.

VENGAS
(whispered)
Rydom...your file did not do you justice.

He walks to a computer and begins to type in the codes.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
I am grateful for you and your daughter, Rydom, and maybe through us--your dream and everyone else's can come true.

COMPUTER VOICE
Systems set. Initializing Omega reactor.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Grazier fires the gun at Kylie, it hits her in the chest.
KYLIE
Father....Sir-

INT. LIFT SHAFT
Vengas continues to climb the shaft.
VENGAS
(whispered) Almost there, Kylie.

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Kylie falls to the ground, a heavy wound to the side of her chest; her breathing labored.

Grazier leaves the room.

INT. REACTOR CORE
The system begins to charge up as Vengas continues to climb down into the core.

The reactor powers up and changes its position as machinery grinds and moves about the room.

Vengas dodges moving floors and gears as he tries to make it to firing control.

INT. REACTOR CORE BRIDGE
As Vengas climbs up to the platform, Grazier fires a shot above his head.

GRAZIER
I expected her to show up...but not you...well, perhaps.

VENGAS
Let me by, Jamay.
GRAZIER
Are you mad?
VENGAS
No, I just happen to believe her.

I do not.

GRAZIER

VENGAS
You know she's right, Jamay....and to not do it, to not turn it on--

GRAZIER
You are in violation of all protocols.

VENGAS
To bring power to the surface is not against protocols.

Vengas slowly reaches for his weapon.
GRAZIER
But to change how it is done! There is planning to be done,

work, following through....there is a profit to think of!
COMPUTER VOICE
Warning, reaction will take place in two minutes.

VENGAS
Spoken like a businessman. Jamay.at one time we were not like this.

I know.

JAMAY

VENGAS
We strived.we lived in the lower city, Hell.and look where we come to.

Grazier clears his throat and continues to point the weapon at Vengas
VENGAS (CONT'D)
At this point, you have a decision, Grazier...let me configure the reactor to fire or we die and we take all of Io with us.

GRAZIER
Your configurations will mean the death of us as well, Vengas.

VENGAS
That part of me has already died-- my friend.

COMPUTER VOICE
One minute, thirty seconds till reaction. Ion charging commencing.

GRAZIER
The girl is dead.
Vengas closes his eyes for a moment. Grazier lowers his weapon.
VENGAS
And you probably killed her.

CONTINUED: (2)

GRAZIER
She locked out my commands, yelled for you and her father...

A deep rumbling comes from below.
VENGAS
Grazier, allow me to set the firing control...

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Kylie lies on the floor--the TEVGT insignia of her father lies in her hand.

INT. REACTOR CORE
COMPUTER VOICE
Warning, one minute until ion reaction.

Grazier closes his eyes, holsters his weapon and walks past Vengas.

Grazier opens the door.

Grazier-

VENGAS

Vengas turns back to him.
VENGAS (CONT'D)
--There's an apartment free in the Dramae district--needs a little cleaning up.

Grazier nods to him as the door closes.
Vengas runs to the console.He taps out a sequence. A series of screens light up.

One shows the data for OMEGA CORE REACTOR

INT. CORRIDOR
Grazier walks from the room and into the corridor.

Without warning, the bulkhead door closes behind him.

Vengas!

GRAZIER

INT. CORE
Vengas continues to type in commands
COMPUTER VOICE 2
Omega reactor, on-line and charging.

INT. CORRIDOR
Grazier looks out the window and sees the columns glowing around him.

The windows close-metal shields roll down over them.
GRAZIER
The entire installation is the reactor.

INT. REACTOR CORE
Vengas continues to type.
COMPUTER VOICE
Thirty seconds until reaction.
VENGAS
Let's show them--
Vengas walks out to the middle of the bridge and closes his eyes.

INT. CORRIDOR
Grazier, along with the remaining soldiers and engineers, scurry for the lift.

COMPUTER VOICE
Reactor firing in ten, nine, eight...

The voice echoes throughout the facility.

INT. REACTOR CORE
Vengas looks up to the ceiling.

Five--

COMPUTER VOICE

VENGAS
For my people...

INT. REACTOR CONTROL
Kylie's eyes are now open.
She turns her head to see the console displaying the Omega Reactor.

COMPUTER VOICE
Four, three--
VENGAS OS
For my heart.

Show them.

KYLIE

Two--
KYLIE
The power of one.

COMPUTER VOICE OS

VENGAS OS
The power of one.

Kylie's eyes close as she dies.
COMPUTER VOICE
One...Reactor Omega, firing.

EXT. FACILITY
The entire installation implodes--obliterated by a massive power surge.

The energy bores its way through the metal and rock to the surface.

EXT. TAL ELIB VEE--DAY
The city violently shakes as the power ribbon erupts from the ground and hits a series of reactors.

INT. SURFACE REACTOR ROOM
The machinery comes alive, damaging the other equipment around it and fires the power out through the roof of the building and to the directional prism.

EXT. CITY-DAY
The power field distributes to the seven hub generators around the city: restoring full power.

EXT. DESERT
Id' Morea and his people look back at the city and see the power surge. Morea holds his hands up high.
MOREA
Fait'thul a Io!
(The Faithful of Io)
CROWD
Fait-thul a Io!
ID MOREA
Fait'thul.great peace to you, Siren.

FADE OUT
END

up
35 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos