Aftermath 17

Printer-friendly version


Aftermath part 17

She smiled, that cute smile that always brightened my day. Even when she was a little girl, her smile would always get me in a better mood.

Cyndi brought us our fish and chips. We ate mostly in silence. It was good as I remember it.

Cyndi dropped off the check. I paid and we left.

Driving home. Our truck gets its share of looks. Marcus built it just as a driver. A 77 Ford F-150 supercab shortbed. He did a frame swap. Put the 77 body on a newer F-150 Lightening frame. It had the supercharged 5.4. It took Marcus 3 yrs to do it. It was his driver after it was finished. I drove my mustang.

After Marcus was killed in action. I wound up selling my mustang and using the 77. Then there was the Explorer. It started as my daily driver until we got married. We started to take it off road. It snowballed from there. I was the one who wanted it more capable on the trails.

First it was build up the factory stuff. Then that wasn't enough. So we went all out. Select-able lockers in the front and rear dana 60 axles. King coil over front suspension. Full roll cage, built the 5.0 l motor for a torque monster. Built c4 transmission, Atlas II transfer case. The best of everything. She now runs on 38” tires.

We wound up getting a roof top tent for it. Mini fridge and freezer.

Backing the truck into the garage, next to the explorer. I just stared at it.

“Mom, What's wrong?”

“Just remembering what it was like when I first got her. Shes a whole lot different now.”

Hugging me, “I know that you and Daddy put a lot of time into her. I miss him.”

“I do too, honey.”

The garage door openers light went off. Bathing the trucks back into darkness. Well with 2 weeks leave. Me and Zoey put the Explorer on the trailer and headed for the hills. We headed to The Smokey Mountains. We go here a lot, Marcus would take us. We got to know that area quite well.

We spent a week there. Everyday hitting a different trail. It took me a short while before I got used to the Explorer again. We camped the entire time. Me and Zoey had a great time spending it together. By the last day we had started tackling some of the harder trails. True to its build the truck went anywhere I pointed it.

Zoey was a fantastic spotter. She had gotten to know my driving style. She was able to decided the correct line to take.

On the last night before heading home. We sat by the camp fire. We were both wrapped in a blanket. She sat next to me placing her head in my lap.

“I may sound like a busted record. But I am thankful that you came back to me I was really scared at first. Aunt Whitney and Aunt Cassie where a big help. Aunt Whitney made sure I was informed about everything. I was so happy when I got that text about you waking up. I couldn't wait till Aunt Cassie came and got me and Susie.”

“I am grateful that I am back with you.” I rubbed her back. “I am so happy that we can have our outings again. Even with Dad not here. I still have my little girl with me.”

“Mom I am not little anymore.”

“Miss Zoey You will always be our little girl. Even when you are 50.”

“That will be like forever.”

“It will be here before you know it.” I said.

“Well Mom, you are almost there aren't you.” She teased.

“Zoey Marissa West I still have 8 years till I'm 50.”

“And still the best looking Mom out there.”

Blushing a little, “Thank you, Sweetheart.”

“Mom, have you thought about starting to date again? It has been 6 years since Daddy got killed.”

I may, I haven't thought that hard on it. First I need to get back to work. Then maybe.”

“When you are ready I'm sure Uncle Steven and Uncle Brian know somebody who would take you out.”

“That's what I am afraid of.” I giggled.

Our fire was about dead when we headed to bed. After making sure it was out. Our Rooftop tent had a queen size mattress. There was room for the three of us, now with only two there is more than enough room.

Each of us climbed into our sleeping bag. Being it was early June we brought our mid weight bags. No need for our arctic ones. With both in our flannel Pjs we where plenty warm. I found the right spot and fell asleep.

The next morning dawned Bright and sunny again. After breakfast we began to break camp. We both making sure our camp fire was good and cold. Everything back in its proper place in the Explorer. It didn't take as long today. We finally got into the groove of where everything went.

Heading back to where we had parked the truck and trailer. We left it parked at a person I knew from the years of trail riding here. He watches our truck when we are gone. The explorer is legal and road worthy however it really isn't really a highway vehicle anymore. With 5:38 gears and 38 inch tires.

Loading the trailer, Zoey and I finally got the truck tied down. Bill got home.

“Hi, Brie and Zoey. Have a good week?” He asked.

“Hi, Bill. Yeah, it was good to get back on the trails. Thanks again for watching over the truck and trailer.”

“No problems, glad to do it. Yea never know what will happen to it if you left it too long at a trail head.”

“Have a great day, Bill. We will see you next time.” I waved as I pulled out.

“Bye, Mr. Unser.” Zoey called.

“Safe travels ladies.” He waved also as we drove off heading home.

We stopped for the night just south of Chattanooga. Ate a great meal, took a swim, then to bed. We left pretty early to avoid all the traffic in Atlanta. Even though There were a couple drivers that where lucky I wasn't in my plane I would have unloaded a few rounds of 30mm on their stupid ass.

We pulled up in front of the house at almost 7. We both were beat. We fixed a small meal, relaxed some then went to bed. It is so nice sleeping in your own bed.

Saturday was kind of cloudy and rainy. We pulled the Explorer off the trailer. Parked it in the garage. Put the trailer back next to the garage. Our 77 sat out while me and Zoey unloaded the explorer. To give us room to move.

Once finished I just relaxed. Listening to the stereo. Zoey was in her room on her phone talking to one of her friends. My phone goes off.

Answering it hoping it isn't some type of spam call. “Hello,”

“Is this Colonel West?” The caller asked.

“Yes it is, Who may I ask is calling?”

“Col West, This is General Parker.” He answered.

“How may I assist you, General.”

“As you may have heard that Col Abernathy is going to retire the end of July.”

“Yes, Sir. I have heard he was retiring just not when.”

“I will cut to the chase. I want you to take command of the 4th SOS.”

“You want me, Sir?”

“Yes, Col. I do. With graduating from both the academy and flight school with honors. Your flight record, and your accomplishments. You are the best choice, plus you are familiar with the 4th. Even with your recent medical problem. You are still the best candidate for the job.”

“I will be honored, with the opportunity to take command of the 4th Special Operations Squadron.”

“Fantastic, I expect you to be in my office at 1000hrs Monday morning. We will go over everything. We will have change of command ceremony on 20 July.”

“Thank you, General. I will be there Monday morning. I look forward to our meeting.”

“Till then, Col. West. Good bye.” The general hung up.

“IIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEE” I squealed.

Zoey came rushing in. “Mom, Are you alright?”

“Yes, Honey. I am fantastic. I just got off the phone with General Parker. I accepted the command of the 4th.”

“That is great mom. So are you going to be able to get leave. For next years Ultimate Adventure.”

“Darn right I will. We are going no matter what.”

“Great, Too bad that it was already filled this year. By the time we contacted them. But will be in the one next year.”

“I am not sure if it has been made official yet. So keep quiet about it.”

“Sure Mom. I will.” She gave me a hug and returned to her room.

I pulled up Cassie's number on my phone. Hit send.

“ Hey, Brie. Its your nickel start talking.” Cassie answered.

“General Parker, offered me the 4th. I accepted.”

“Hot damn, Congratulations.”

“Thanks, Now I'm finally joining you as a commander.” Cassie was the Security Police commander.

“Yep, We need to celebrate. We need to go out like old times. Get shit faced and obnoxious.”

“You just want to get me drunk to take advantage of me.”

“Not me, that was Whitney.” She teased.

“But yeah, we need to celebrate without the shit face. Remember we are respectful Air Force Officers.”

“Thanks for being Debbie downer.”She giggled. “Have you told Whitney yet.”

“You are the first one I called. Maybe it is because C comes before W at least it did when I grew up.”

“Brie, You never grew up. Get a hold of Whitney and get a plan. And let me know.”

“Sure, I'll give you a call.” I hung up. Still smiling.

Calling Whitney I told her the news.

“See, I told you that you where up for that position.”

“Cassie says we need to go out a celebrate.”

“She is right. You missed my becoming flight surgeon. And Cassie getting the top cop job. So it is due. When?” Whitney asked.

“Do we want to wait till it is officially official?”

“What are you talking about?”

“Until after the change of command?”

“Oh, OK. Do you want to?”

“Do you? I asked back.

“Of course not, Remember I never needed a reason to have a girls day. I am better now that I am older.

“OH, God. I need my hip waders. Then party girl, when?”

“Lets do it tomorrow, Saturday. Lets go to Gulf Shores. You always liked the clam chowder there.”

“You are right, I did forget. They do make some good chowder”

“I'll let Cassie know our plans. How about we pick you up at 8.”

“Sound like a party, see you then.”

I hung up. Leaning back in my chair smiling. As I looked at the ceiling. I see a face come over and look down at me. Zoey.

“Yes?” I asked. Returning to sit properly.

“Did I hear you correctly. You, Aunt Whitney and Aunt Cassie where party girls?”

With a big grin. “That young lady is none of your business.”

“I knew it.”

“ I don't know what you are talking about. I have always been a good girl.”

“Daddy would say differently.”

“Daddy, Knew I have always been an angel.”

“Sure mom, I'll let you believe that.”

“Zoey Marissa, you don't believe your own mother.”

Walking back to her room, “Nope” was all she said.

Giggling, she is taking after me so much. I thought.

up
111 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Still not sure......

D. Eden's picture

Where this is going, but I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Congrats Col.

Samantha Heart's picture

Now if this is REAL... I hope it is to a point. But I'm sure this will a be tided up in a nice neet bow when the finsl chapter is released which I hope is a long time coming. In the mean thime I love reading this story.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

: )

*****!

alissa

Well it all does seem real this time

Jamie Lee's picture

Being awake after three years, being with her daughter Zoey, with Cassie and Whitney knowing nothing about being part of a cryo experiment, and accepting a command position, surely now Brie isn't dreaming as she once believed.

Right?

Others have feelings too.