Aftermath 19

Printer-friendly version


Aftermath part19

“Me neither.” Cassie added.

The building that was Shanties. Resembled an old cannery. Which is where they started, 40 years ago. However one of the hurricanes took it out. They did rebuild with a hurricane proof building. The parking lot was pretty full, which meant it was a normal day for Shanties.

Walking up to the place was about the same as I remembered. The run down look of an old cannery. Just they way it was designed. Corrugated metal roof and siding. The rusty streaks gave it character.

Walking in the door, it was more of the same. However we knew it was only about 15 years old. Marcus would take me here, every couple months. We came here to celebrate me becoming pregnant with Zoey.

Of course, the nautical theme was obvious. The greeter told us to sit where ever we wanted. We were able to find an empty table on the gulf side. The roll up doors where open to a patio the few tables surrounding a dance floor. Soft music played. Two couples were dancing. It was a normal day at Shanties. Remembering Marcus and I have danced there before.

Sadness over came me for a minute. I vividly remember one time just before Marcus deployed his last time. We came here, He was out dancing with Zoey. Just Father and Daughter. I still have the picture on my dresser.

“Brie, BrieAnna.” I heard.

“Huh,” I snapped out of my dream.

“The waitress wants to know what you want to drink?” Whitney stated.

“I'll have a gulf breeze.”

“I'll be back in a moment.” She said. All the wait staff wore a what they call a sea wench costume. A tattered short skirt, corset, and a peasant blouse. The waitresses were all quite lovely.

Another waitress delivered our drinks. As she set our drinks down. She seemed so familiar.

“Hello, I am Ashlee I will be taking care of you the rest of your time at Shanties. Have you decided on what you would like?”

Then I saw those sparkling light green eyes. It was Ash from this afternoon. Thinking to myself. Holey, shit. You were attracted to a girl. Wow. Yet the attraction didn't waver. I still found her stunning.

“I'll have the clam chowder, with rice.” Cassie ordered.

“Clam chowder with rice also.” Whitney ordered also.

Then it came my turn, “Ahhh,” I could barely speak. “I'll also have clam chowder but with broccoli. Please.” I almost whispered.

Ashlee wrote the order down. She turned toward me and smiled. Did she give me a wink. I swear she did.

“I'll have that right up for you ladies. Thank you.” She turned and went to the kitchen.

I watched her walk away. She truly was beautiful. But there was something. Not in a weird way, something just intrigued me about her. Not to mention the attraction.

“Brie, are you OK.” Whitney asked.

“Sure, just thinking.” answering.

“What have we told you about doing that. You could hurt yourself.” Cassie joked.

“I was just remembering before Marcus left on his last tour. We all came here. The dance he had with Zoey. It was so precious.”

“Yeah I remember. Steve and Susie and Brian and Riley also danced.” Cassie said. All three of us smiled remembering.

“yeah, that was the last time we saw Marcus.” Cassie said.

“Yep.” was all that would come out.

“Here we are ladies.” Ashlee walked up. She set the bowls in front of each of us. Then the sides in almost as large as the chowder bowl was.

“Thank you” we all told her.

“You are very welcome”

We all dug in. As usual the clam chowder was fantastic. The sides and the fresh bread sticks equally great.

A few minutes later Ashlee came by. “How is your food, ladies?” She asked.

The three of us replied Fantastic.

“Glad to hear. I will check back to see if you ladies need a refill.”

“Thank you, Ashlee.” I answered cheerily.

Again I watched her walk away. Shanties uniforms while covering they leave little to the imagination. As with all the waitresses you could see the bottom of there panties. At times. They actually sold them here, Shanties panties. I need to actually pick up a pair for myself.

The three of us chatted,while we ate.

Ashlee returned, “Would any of you ladies like a refill?”

We all said yes.

“Coming right up” She grabbed our bowls. The chowder here was all you can eat.

The three of us usually only have 1 to 2 bowls. While Steven, Brian also Marcus used to see how much they could eat. If I remember right, Brain has the groups record of 12.

Ashlee returned a minute later. Fresh bowls of hot clam chowder set down in front of each of us.

Digging in, again we chatted. I then realized I had to pee.

Getting up, “Excuse me a moment I have to use the little girls room.”

“OK,” The other two said.

“And keep your mitts off my chowder.”

Following the restroom signs. Which I have used it a couple of times. It was by the kitchen door. Using the facilities, finishing I checked myself. Damn I should have grabbed my purse. I have to remember to touch up my lip stick once I get back to the table.

Leaving, as I walked past the kitchen door. I stopped as I heard someone call, “Door” the meant someone was coming out. The door opened right in front of me. I saw Ashlee look out as she had a bowl of chowder.

Once she saw me she stopped dead in her tracks. “Hello, Brie” She said.

“Hi, Ash lee”

“Would you wait here for a moment while I drop this off.”

I nodded.

Less than a minute later she returned. “I am so sorry about freaking you out earlier. Like I said I was following some fish and didn't see you.”

“That is alright.” I answered.

“May I ask you something?”

“Sure”

“Were you serious about wanting to see me again.?”

“Yes, I was..... I taper off.

“But, now you don't know. Because I am a girl.”

I nodded again.

“That is OK, I get it all the time. It is hard finding any companionship when you are like me.”

I must have gave a strange expression.

She continued. “You see, I am transgender. I am a woman inside. I finally figured it out about 5 years ago. Now I am on hormones. And live as a woman full time. Once someone finds out I am trans. They usually never see me again. Being I am a trans lesbian it is impossible to find someone to go out with.”

Thinking a minute, I could tell she was genuine in her feelings, even with her confession I still had that attraction. Don't know why. I believe I have an open mind, I have to be, my daughter is a lesbian. I can keep a secret. I do know of a couple lesbians in the Air Force. I know that I am almost obligated to report them. Yet, I have not. I feel love is love. No matter what sex you where born with.

“Ashlee, I will go out with you.”

“Really, are you sure? Even knowing I am transgender.” She stated.

“Sure, I am open minded. I have a lesbian daughter.”

“Where do you live?” She asked.

“I live over by Hurburt Field. I am stationed there.”

“Your Air Force, isn't going out with me break the rules.”

“If they find out and tell.”

“I actually live in Pensacola so I am closer. Can I get your number, maybe we can have coffee sometime?”

“Sure sounds good.” I gave her my number. “Give me a call”

She smiled as I walked back to my table. I could feel her eyes watching me. It actually felt good to be wanted, again.

Sitting back down, Cassie starts. “ What took you so long?”

“When you gotta go you gotta go, and I had ta.”

“God, Brie, TMI. Girlfriend.” Whitney added.

I finished my chowder, It had cooled down some but still tasted great. I also finished my second Gulf Breeze. I was definitely feeling the alcohol. Being I haven't drank in over 3 years.

Ashlee came back to our table. “Would you ladies like another bowl?”

We each told her no thanks.

“Desert then?”

Again no thanks.

“OK, then I will just leave the bill, I will be your cashier when you are ready.”

“Just a moment,” I stated. As I began to pull my wallet from my purse.

Ashlee stopped and waited.

“Ah, no you don't” Cassie cautioned. “You are not going to pay. This is our treat for being given your own command.” She tossed her credit card on the table.

“Yeah, split the bill between the two.” Whitney added. “Add 20 to mine for the tip.”

“Yeah, mine also add the 20.”

Ashley gathered the two cards, “Thank you ladies. I will return with the slips to sign.” She left.

“You don't have to, girls?” I said.

“No this is your celebration. SO you are not paying.” Cassie warned.

“Yep,” Whitney added.

“Here you go ladies, you have a fantastic day.” Ashlee returned with the slips handing them to Whitney and Cassie.

Ashlee left. Cassie and Whitney signed. Placing the holders on the edge of the table. We grabbed our purses and left.

On the way out, Ashlee intercepted us. Handing me a take out container.

“A little congratulations gift. Courtesy of me.”

Smiling, “Thank you” I answered. I peeked inside. A piece of Shanties famous chocolate cake, sitting on a red plastic bag. I think I knew what that was. However I didn't say anything.

As the other two headed out. I gave Ashlee a wink. Then mouthed, call me later. Then followed the other two out to the car. Don't know why but I was on top of the world. Maybe it was the Gulf Breezes I did have.

Being I haven't had any alcohol in over 3 years. Could be yet I seemed relatively sober. My hard drinking days where done when I became a wife. And stop completely once I found out I was pregnant. I didn't want any problems.

As Cassie held the door for me to get in the back seat. She must have noticed my mood.

“What's got you flying high. I didn't think two Gulf Breezes would get you drunk.”

“What me. I am feeling great. And it isn't the booze doing it either. Nah”

“Remember, Miss Brie. We have known you for a longtime. So something has to be causing it.”

Plopping down in the back seat, I buckled in. “I plead the 5th.”

“What do you think?” Cassie looked at Whitney. Who just shrugged.

“Dunno, We both know since she pleaded the 5th she won't talk about it again.”

While I just had a goofy smile on my face. The other two looked at me and shook their heads.

“So what did she give you?” Cassie asked. As Whitney headed for home.

“What do you think?”

“To small a box to be a vibrator?” Whitney answered.

“For your information, it is a piece of Shanties famous cake. And No you can't have any.”

Cassie looked at me with a pout. “But Why??”

In my little girl voice, “You where mean to me. So its all mine.”

We all got a laugh out of that. Of course we talked all the way home. But I never broke down and said why I was in such a good mood.

Whitney and Cassie dropped me off just as the sun was going down. As I walked into the house, A gentle breeze blew off the gulf. A beautiful sunset finished off a great day.

“Hi, Mom.” Was what I heard as I walked in.

“Hi, Zoey. How was your day?”

“About the normal, Brittney came over and we went to the BX. Then we goofed around here for the rest of the day. She just left about a ½ hour ago. I hope you don't mind?”

“Not at all. I trust you. Honey.” I commented as I headed to my room. Dropping off my cake in the fridge. Of course I took my Shanties panties out.

I put my beach bag on my bed. Then sat down next to it. I leaned back on my hands.

Thinking, what is going through my head, I am attracted to a girl. But She used to be a guy. but now is a girl. Those pale green eyes got me. Just something about those green eyes that melted my heart. Letting myself fall back on my bed. I laid there just thinking about everything. Zoey, Ashlee, my new command, my flight status, Even what I needed to do to the Explorer to get it ready for the Ultimate Adventure next year. Which if I figure right not very much. Maybe get some replacement parts just in case.

My right butt cheek began vibrating. It was my phone as I carry it in my right back pocket. The number I didn't recognize. But with my job it could be important, So I answered.

“Hello”

“Hi, Brie. This is Ashlee. You get home alright?

“Hi, Ashlee” Did the tone of my voice sound anxious? “Yeah, got back about half hour ago.”

“I got off at six, I am calling from the way home.”

“Hands free I hope.”

“Oh, yeah. My sister was killed by a distracted driver.”

“I'm so sorry.”

“Thanks, So tell me about yourself?”

So I did, my growing up in North Carolina, the Academy, my flight school and my plane. I touched on Marcus, my coma, and getting my command. I even told her about Zoey.

Almost 40minutes later, “So I have bored you long enough, and spilled my guts. What about you.”

I heard her get to her apartment. Then the sound of relaxation. Then she began to spill her guts. She was a couple years younger. She had always thought she was different. She told me about what started her knowing she was female. Her journey so far. About her friends abandoning her. When she finally moved and started living as a woman. We had somethings in common. She actually lost her wife to cancer 10 years ago. We can both relate to having a loved one taken from us. We talked for just over two hours. We finally made plans to have coffee Tuesday evening. At a shop half way between our places.

Hanging up from our talk. I felt something I haven't felt in a long time. I felt a love for Ashlee. The same love I have for Marcus. After Marcus was killed I thought I would never feel that love again. But here I am having these feelings for someone else. A woman at that. I could care less that she is transgender.

A soft knock on the door. I looked up it was my beautiful daughter.

“Mom, Who were you talking to? Didn't sound like anyone I know.”

“That was a new friend, Ash. We met at Shanties.”

“OH, you two talked for almost two hours.”

“OK, young lady. I am the one who should be checking on you. Not you checking on me.”

“I heard your phone go off, when my movie started and it is a two hour movie. It just ended. so it ain't brain surgery to figure it out.”

“Yeah, That is how you learn about someone, talk to them.”

“So, what did ya learn?”

“Well that one and one are really two.” I teased.

“Funny, Mom.” Zoey just stared at me.

“OK, I don't need the third degree. Especially from you. He lives in Pensacola, works at Shanties, he's a waitress. He also lost a spouse about 10 yrs ago. From cancer. She's got the most amazing green eyes.”

“Waitress and She. Mom do you like a girl?”

Holey shit, I let the cat out. I played it cool. “ Huh, what are you talking about?”

“Mom, you know perfectly well what I am talking about. You said he's a waitress and She has amazing green eyes. Waitress is a girl. Come on mom. Fess up.”

All of my stories are purely fictional, the some places are real, some are not. The names and personnel used in all my stories, are also fictional. They may be based on people I knew but, Any resemblance to anyone living, dead, or un-dead are purely coincidental.

I write my stories as a fantasy. While based on this world. Things in my story could stretch reality. However I write my stories from my mind. I reserve all rights to my work. Any form of duplication without my permission is forbidden. Please enjoy reading them as I have in writing them.

up
102 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just a little pronoun trouble.......

D. Eden's picture

And yeah, being military this could be an issue - although it shouldn’t be.

As ex-military, and as someone who spent years burying my true self, the present administration and their asinine policies need to go. There is absolutely no reason why a qualified person who is willing to serve should be excluded or forced out of service simply because of a birth defect. And yeah, that’s how I see it - I was born with a birth defect. Not one that hampered my ability to serve, but one that forced me to live a life that was a lie.

Trump, Pence, and the entire group need to go!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Might as well

Samantha Heart's picture

As Zoey will grill her mom endlessly lol but she will be cool about it. And keep it under wraps. Sometimes love strikes & we dont realize who it is till later. Who cares about whos daiting who? Yes the military, but what they don't know won't hurt anyone.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

Gay in the military

Thanks to Obama that's no longer a problem he got rid if the Don't ask don't tell policy so as long as this isn't set too far back that's not a problem. Trump has only banned transpersons from the military not wives of transpersons so Brie should be fine if this story is set during or after the Obama administration. Unfortunately I was kicked out of the Navy during Bush the youngers administration and being a gender fluid non-binary Male does not fit in with today's military either I'm just too close to being trans.

EllieJo Jayne

A new love?

Jamie Lee's picture

Was Brie shocked or surprised to see Ashlee working at Shanties? The way Ashlee's green eyes caused Brie's heart to skip a few beats, it's a wonder she could eat her clam chowder.

Both are attracted to the other, and more so for Ashlee or she might not have told Brie her whole story.

But as it seems they are headed for a relationship, will Brie have to worry about keeping her command? Ashlee is non-military so it shouldn't matter.

And yet, it's possible for some gung-ho Colonel to be pissed at being passed over and go after Brie using her relationship with Ashlee as a cause.

Others have feelings too.