Aftermath 13

Printer-friendly version


Aftermath part 13

I feel a tapping on my arm. “Mommy, Aunt Cassie has dinner ready.”

Opening my eyes, I must have drifted off. I see stacks of pancakes, bacon, sausage, hash browns. Of course, Coffee and juice.

“OK, dig in.” Cassie says as she sits down, Susan sitting next to her. I ease Zoey off my lap. She sits next to me. With Whitney next to her and Riley taking the next seat.

All six of us, eat with proper manners. The food is like nothing I have ever tasted. It was fantastic.

Once finished Me and Whitney clear the table. We wash the dishes, placing them back in the cupboard.

“Well, lets head up to our rooms.” I stated. “Maybe they will have some entertainment there.”

We all filed out the kitchen back door. I took point. As I looked back making sure everyone was with us. I noticed as the kitchen door closed, it appeared different again. Everything covered in a layer of dust.

I shut my eyes for a moment, and shake my head. Maybe to try and clear my head or something. Stopping at the day room to get the backpacks. Each of the moms helping their daughter with theirs. I helped Zoey.

“Now make sure it is tight, you don't want it bouncing around.”

“Yes, Mommy. I wear a backpack to school everyday. And when we go camping with the truck. Don't you remember.”

“Sorry, Sweetheart. I must have forgot.”

“Are you sure you are OK, Mommy. Do I need to have Aunt Whitney look at you?”

“No, Honey I will be fine. It has been a tiring day. I just may need to relax some.”

“OK, Mommy.”

Once everyone was ready we headed up to the fifth floor. At each landing the girls waited while we checked the hallways. Nothing but dust and mine and Cassie's foot prints when we did our clothes search.

We checked each floor as we ascended to the 5th floor. While it took sometime. We just wanted to be safe. As with the rest of the complex just dust. Arriving on the 6th floor, it was different. The hallways where carpeted still dusty.

“Must be officer country?” Whitney mentioned.

“Your right, must be.”Cassie answered. I giggled.

“Mommy, aren't you an officer.” Riley asked.

“Yes, Riley I am now. I used to be enlisted.” Whitney told her daughter.

“ lets continue.” I stated.

And that is what we did. Cassie was first up the stairs. Opening the door from the stairs. It was even better than the 6th floor. The carpet seemed more plush. Instead of the normal overhead lights. There were sconces on the walls. It looked more like a hotel than a military base. As we padded down the hall way. There wasn't many rooms, but each one had a brass plaque that stated the occupants name and rank. By the looks of it. It was the upper ranks, Lt Col and above whom lived on this floor.

There were 2 Lt. Col's 3 Col's and the Generals quarters. We checked each one of the Col quarters. They were like a small apartment. The Col's being bigger than the Lt. Col's.

“Go ahead an pick your room?”

“We'll take this one.” Whitney said. Taking one of the Cols rooms. Cassie and Susie took one of the others.

The four of them adjourned to there rooms.

“Mom?”

“Yes, Zoey.” I turned to look at my daughter.

“Which room are we taking?” She asked.

“Well my dear daughter. Being I am ranking officer.We get the General's quarters.”

“Cool”

We walked a little farther down the hall. A set of recessed double doors, the plaque read, Commander. General Theodore J Todd.

“Want to unlock the door.” I handed the pass card to Zoey.

With a big grin, she took the pass key and held it to the lock. The door clicked unlocking it. Zoey pushed the door open. A surprised look came over her young face when she stepped inside.

“Wow, Mommy look?” She said.

I also stepped inside behind her. It was a luxury hotel Suite. Chairs, sofas. A huge TV. What looked like a small kitchen and Bar, with dinning area. Several doors were off the main room. While I checked what was behind each door. Zoey made herself comfortable.

The first door was a large closet. The second a small 1/2 bathroom. The next door turned out being a fairly large office. The fourth and fifth where bed rooms. The second must have been the master it was large also. The last door was a pantry, containing caned goods, a fridge and a separate freezer.

Checking the bed rooms, each had its own full bathroom. The master having both a tub and a shower. Each a full walk in closet.

Checking the mini fridge in the kitchen area. Yep. Full of high end booze. Along with the cabinets. The ice bucket on the counter was still full of ice. Not just water.

“Mommy, Aunt Whitney, Aunt Cassie, Susie, and Riley are here.”

“OK, Show them in.” I answered.

“Hey, Brie. How are your quarters?” Whitney asked.

“Have a look around.” I offered. “I'm sure the General wouldn't mind, being the circumstances as they are.”

“Brie Anna what are you talking about. You just moved into these yesterday.” Cassie said.

Both Cassie and Whitney had changed out of their uniforms. Both were dressed casual. Whitney in a t-shirt and jean shorts. Cassie in a pink blouse, and slacks.

I heard Zoey tell the other girls. “Come on I'll show you my new room. It is way cool.”
They took off into the second bedroom.

Things began to change. The wall between the pantry and kitchen disappeared. The living room expanded to have a dinning area. Complete with table. Moving boxes where everywhere. A door wall also appeared open to reveal the Gulf of Mexico about 1000 yards from the huge back deck.

“Girlfriend,” Cassie started. “I am so envious of you. You where at the right place and right time to by this place. To bad the money had to come in such a hard way.”

“Yeah, Brie. How are you doing since Marcus got killed.” Whitney asked. “It's been 18 months.”

“What are you talking about?” I asked. “What is happening?” I ran to the door to the hallway. Opening it. No longer a hall. It was looking out over a beautiful front yard. In the driveway was a black mid 70s Ford Supercab. It was hooked to a car trailer where a Green Ford Explorer was tied down. Backed up to a 2 car garage.

I was in a panic. Running back to the office door. Throwing it open. There were boxes everywhere, also. 2 sides of windows, also showed the gulf.

“Brie Anna, What is the matter?” Whitney called following behind me.

“It's not right. None of this is right.” Running to the bedroom. The rooms have switched places. The master bedroom faced the gulf also. Going to the other room. Zoey was showing Susie and Riley where she was putting things.

“Mom, Are you alright” She said. But she wasn't the little girl anymore she was the young lady that was with me in my dream.

I just crumpled right there on the floor. I couldn't think, talk or do much of anything.

I heard, Whitney say, “Let's get her to her bed.” I was carried to the bed in the master. She also told Riley to get her med bag from her car.

As I lie there in my bed. Whitney taking my pulse. I was just staring at the ceiling. It was like I passed out, but still awake. My body began to relax my eyes shut. I don't know what happened.

All of my stories are purely fictional, the some places are real, some are not. The names and personnel used in all my stories, are also fictional. They may be based on people I knew but, Any resemblance to anyone living, dead, or un-dead are purely coincidental.

I write my stories as a fantasy. While based on this world. Things in my story could stretch reality. However I write my stories from my mind. I reserve all rights to my work. Any form of duplication without my permission is forbidden. Please enjoy reading them as I have in writing them.

up
120 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Virtual unreality

The only thing that makes sense to me is that he is in an inconsistent virtual reality program. The other adults may or may not be real; the little girls, probably not. Either that or someone like Star Trek's Q is having fun.

I was thinking it sounded

I was thinking it sounded like an episode of the outer limits

Wow

Samantha Heart's picture

This is getting strange I wonder what is going on? I hope the answer comes soon lol.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

What a ride!

well I would sure enjoy. Each twist of reality.. It keeps getting better and better. Yep; don't freak.

alissa

Why is only Brie only affected?

Jamie Lee's picture

It seemed like they'd found everything the needed until they left the kitchen by the rear door. Then after getting their rooms, only Brie has started to see things differently. Why?

Could it be they all are still in the chambers and everything they see is induced as part of the experiment? And that they've been led to believe the base is abandoned and Yellowstone hasn't blown its stack? It would explain why Brie sees things differently.

Others have feelings too.