The Lost Queen Vol 3 Ch1 Shadows of the Past

Printer-friendly version

The Lost Queen

by:
Elsbeth

Suddenly transported to another world what will Eleanor need to do to survive and hopefully get home.

Queen

Chapter 1: Shadows of the Past

The cool spring air blew across the large camp, promising a beautiful spring day. It had been raining the past week, making the march difficult. Every beastkin knew traveling through the valley during this time of year had always been trying at best, which was the best that everyone could hope for right now.

Since Norgrad, it had hindered the mad Emperor's Legions as they fled across the countryside with their tails between their legs. Every day more and more prisoners were collected as the alliance's light cavalry caught up to stragglers.

Saren moved through the beastkin's camp, greeting everyone she met with a smile. Something in the air concerned her, what it was she wasn’t positive. The festival-like atmosphere, which had blanketed the whole camp, now seemed almost forced. As a healer, however, she had other concerns. Her mother had been with the Queen all morning, so she knew that eventually she would be told.

Moving north out of the beastkin camp, she found her way to the banks of the Mynydd Oer. It had been an excellent place to look for cariad coch. The small flower that only appeared during this time of the year would be invaluable in the days ahead. Something, however, made her stop. Looking up, she noticed that many of the human soldiers were on the move.

"You'll catch your death of cold dressed like that this time of the morning." A familiar voice called out to her.

The catkin rolled her eyes at her mother's friend, "Good morning to you, Ellisif. It looks like the rain's finally letting up."

"Yes, it is a good morning," she said with a smile, but the young girl was quick to notice that it didn’t reach the white-tailed foxkin's eyes. Kneeling, the older woman touched a small flower rubbing a finger across the red petals. "Always thinking of others first, you’re a good person, ljúfur."

"I guess." Rubbing her nose, she sighed. Human camps always smelled wrong. "Something happened, hasn’t it?"

Rising, the foxkin turned to watch the soldiers on the move. "Come, your mother needs to speak with you."

The feeling she had all morning got worse as the two strolled through the other campsites. It seemed as if whole families were now on the move, packing in haste. With a frown, she increased her pace to keep up with her mother's friend.

So worried about the ongoings around her, she almost missed that they weren’t heading towards her mother's tent. Saren became even more concerned when the two of them crossed one of the wooden legions made bridges that her cousin had captured during the rout.

"Don’t dally, child. All the clan chieftains are meeting with the Queen."

Approaching the royal encampment, the grim-faced guards told her that something had indeed changed. They were almost at the tent when a group of wolfkin approached. None of them looked happy.

"Fjandinn humans," the largest of them growled then frowned as he watched the foxkin and catkin approach. "Ellisif, you have to get her to change her mind. What she wants to do, it's…"

Smiling sadly, she said, "I know Ragnar. I spoke to her last night. We all spoke to her this morning. Her Majesty won't change her mind, and truthfully, she isn't wrong. You know as well as I do that if we don’t push right now, he will come back with more legions and then what. Obviously, from what just happened, we cannot rely on these humans."

"Madness." Scratching his cheek, he sighed, "No, you're right. It's just."

"I know." The foxkin just smiled. "So, what are your plans?"

"No matter what Clíodhna says, Ellisif, I have never trusted these so-called allies of hers, so we will remain behind. If you're successful, then so be it; if not, then we will make them bleed no matter whose side they say that they are on. Either way, with Kort's men holding the western pass, we will meet up with him and head towards Bryon. Forkbeard needs to be informed."

Saren just stood there, stunned. What was going on? Suddenly she felt very worried.

"Come." The foxkin motioned her to move forward then turned around. "We'll talk again Ragnar before we leave."

The large man just nodded and made his way back to camp with his men following close behind.

As they approached the tent, Ellisif raised her finger to her lips. Even from outside, they could hear the argument going on inside.

"My infantry won't be able to keep up with you." A tall wolfkin grumbled, pushing a map aside.

"She knows Sax, she knows, that’s why I want you to move your Housecarls south. Prince Harold plans to keep the pass open." Saren heard her mother explain.

"He just wants to keep the way clear for his own heavy infantry, doubtful his father cares about us."

"Can you convince him to leave his heavy cavalry?" One of the catkin chieftains frowned. "You're going to need it."

"We will have to do without; however, his Winged Lancers plan to stick around." She smiled then pointed to the human standing in the corner who gave the group a smirk.

"Ahh, his people aren’t particularly fond of the Imperials." The catkin gave the man a respectful nod the lancers might be under the command of the King who ruled in Venaria, but their own leaders did what they wanted.

"What about you, Ciwt?

"I follow my Queen," She smiled. "Osian and Merik will be joining the hunt as well; the rest will remain behind and escort our people to our summer grazing lands."

"Mama," Saren gasped. What was going on?

Before she could answer, two more people entered the room. A tall blonde foxkin of the royal line, wearing silvered steel armor followed by a much smaller armored human female who appeared to be like many others trying to get the Queen to change her mind.

"Clíodhna, they might be in retreat, but we know Alexander has at least three more legions on the march." The Baroness of Harmon sighed then turned to the others in the room. "Please, Ciwt, can you make your Queen see reason?"

"Shouldn’t you be retreating with the rest of your people, dynol?" A catkin grumbled.

"Now, now, we are all friends here." The Queen smiled, but there was steel in her eyes. Everyone quieted down as she turned to the Baroness. Everyone knew the two had become close since the siege of Harmon. "As I said before, I have responsibilities to my people, same as you. And no, I refuse to allow you to join us."

She raised her hand at the Baroness objection.

"Celeste, you swore on oath to your King. As much as I would like to take your heavy cavalry along, you will need it if his Imperial Majesty changes his mind."

"So you really think the mad Emperor's still with his troops?" a wolfkin chieftain asked. "I mean, can't his Archmage just create a portal for him? What was his name?"

"Theodoric and no, we dealt with him several weeks ago." The Queen smiled as she looked towards the other human in the room.

"Now that was a fun raid," the Winged Lancer commander chuckled, remembering the early morning battle. The hubris of the Imperials commanders who thought even surrounded by an army believed themselves untouchable.

"What happened, Ellisif?" Saren whispered.

"The humans have made peace with the Empire." The foxkin replied. "And before you ask, we weren’t included."

The catkin looked towards the Baroness of Harmon, who overheard the conversation. The young woman gave her a pained smile before looking down, obviously upset and embarrassed.

"Good morning to you, Nain." Opal stepped next to the older woman disturbing, dragging her back to the present. "It looks like the rain's finally letting up."

"Yes, it is a good morning," Saren said with a smile her eyes instinctively moved towards the riverbank looking for a familiar flower. "It's been years since I crossed the Mynydd Oer."

"The road should be better onward, and I'll send word ahead to see if we can get a boat to take us to Harmon." Opal then turned to watch as a small group of catkins moved across the stone bridge. The temporary one had been replaced decades ago.

"You're worried about your wares?" She asked her granddaughter.

"Nain," Opal sighed.

She wasn’t worried about her wares or husband as he planned to travel to Coria and do a little business before returning to Harmon. What the younger catkin had not expected was for her grandmother to suddenly start packing as soon as the two of them had finished with the news of Lady Eleanor.

She also tried not to glare at her daughter, who was trying not to laugh. "Will the clan be moving?"

Opal had asked her parents the same thing. Although her mother was technically the clan chieftain, no important decisions would be made without one of the cyffwrdd blessings.

Saren looked thoughtful for a moment then shook her head. "No, not yet, although I believe your father will be sending word north. I wouldn’t be surprised if Lord Sax returns with him."

Although it seemed important at the time, Opal had no idea what would happen when she informed her grandmother of Eleanor's arrival. Considering the commotion it caused, she wasn’t sure if she should have kept her mouth shut.

--0—

Were things suddenly different once I discovered that this world resembled my own? Not really, as I still needed to find a way home that hadn’t changed. Strangely enough, knowing that the worlds were similar made me feel better. At least I could now use the little knowledge I had about geography.

The two Baronesses didn’t appear too surprised at my revelation. As I surmised, my Nordid looking features must be comparable to those who lived further north. Lilia's reaction seemed a little off, but then again, beastkins were not part of my world. If push comes to shove, I'll take her aside and speak with her.

I did wonder, however, about the strange lowering of the Mediterranean Sea. The only thing that would have caused that, at least in my world, would have been an Ice Age. I remembered reading that there had been one during the Middle Ages but didn’t know much about it.

I thought for a moment about bringing it up but determined that it would probably cause more questions than I had answers. Further research was needed, and luckily, the Baroness had a library.

Sabena had to leave to deal with her own responsibilities, so I was happy she went and left her secretary behind. I soon found Lilia knew what the library contained and its location. She was most helpful.

"Arglwyddes, here is the book you were looking for," she said before setting down a small travel book in front of me.

"Thank you."

The author had written several books. This one covered some of his experiences up north. I noticed that Amabel was looking at the two of us with a strange smile on her face.

"What?"

"If just fascinating by your knowledge of languages. How many do you know?"

Oh, good question. I had a feeling I could say 'all of them' but that wasn’t something I could admit to. "A few."

Amabel gave a good-natured laugh. "Oh, don’t be embarrassed, Eleanor. I'm just impressed. I could only understand a third of what Lilia said."

"I'm sorry, my lady." The young catkin looked horrified.

The Baroness of Redwater waved off her concern. "Oh, don’t worry, my dear. I'm sure it's nice to speak to someone in your native language."

Before we could continue further, a familiar-looking young boy burst into the room. "How do I get a guild card?"

"Byron!" A voice called out from the hallway.

Looking behind him, he cringed, then looked into the room at the face of his Aunt and winced again.

"OH, well, it's pretty easy. All you need to do is go to an official Adventurers Guild office and request a card from one of the clerks," Iona explained, looking up from scroll she was reading. My apprentice had joined us finally, and after a simple breakfast, I put her to work. She looked embarrassed at answering, but I waved at her to continue.

"Ahh, you're then taken to another room and have to touch a magical metal tablet."

"That’s all?" the young lord sat down next to her, followed by his exasperated mother.

Iona attempted to rise but was told to sit then continued. "It's all pretty simple. The item takes a bit of your blood and actually creates the card. It's free for the first one but will cost a silver to replace."

"So with the card I go can an adventurer?" he asked excitedly, leaning over to get a better look at the scroll the apprentice was reading.

"I thought you wanted to be a sailor, Byron," his Aunt said.

"Well." He started to explain without looking at me.

"There are rules about what job you can take and which ones you cannot," Marsilia told her son while giving me an apologetic look. "Plus, you're still too young, sweetheart."

"Really."

"You do need to be of age," Iona nodded, "And you can only pick a job or any number of them as long as they are equal to or one rank above you. When you get your card, you start as Rank F."

Amabel leaned over and whispered, "Did you start as an F-ranked adventurer, Eleanor?"

"Well, we don’t do it the same way, but everyone has to start someplace."

"True." The Baroness of Redwater nodded.

--0—

Baroness Sebena of Harmon slowly walked through the halls of her castle deep in thought. She would be the first to admit that speaking with Lady Eleanor about the new laws the King had planned was enlightening. However, it brought up some interesting questions.

"Good morning Stewart," she said as she entered solar.

The Barone of Redwater just grumbled, putting aside a document he had been trying to read. "Gods woman, nothing's good about it."

Smiling, she sat down across from her brother-in-law. "Apparently, I'm a bad influence on you."

Rolling his eyes, he passed the document over. "Brilliant, really, I'm surprised how familiar Eleanor was with the wording."

"Almost like she had a hand in writing similar laws herself," Sebena said.

"Perhaps," Stewart nodded then groaned. "At least what she suggested will give other people headaches."

"Your wife seems enamored with her."

"She tends to be protective, and Amabel knows the two of us only too well."

The Baroness of Harmon did not pout, but it sure looked like it. "I think she's a collector, Eleanor, that is."

"Oh," Stewart leaned forward.

"Her apprentice, Iona, she must have seen something in her, and after speaking with the Guildmaster, I wasn’t surprised. Apparently, she's a prodigy. She kept asking questions about magic that no one knew the answers for much less understood. I heard they brought Mistress Alidth the Scholar out of retirement to teach Iona's class. Stephen wasn’t happy when he found out that Eleanor snapped her up."

"And nobody thought about approaching the young girl's family?" He asked, but he knew the answer. "Never mind, Eleanor doesn’t care about social class niceties."

Sebena chuckled, "Well, she's having her lady's maid, make sure that her new apprentice at least knows how to act in polite society."

"I can see from your look that you know something else."

The Baroness nodded. "Her lady's maid's mother used to work for the crown. From what I heard, she was part of Princess Matilda's inner circle."

"So, that’s why your household seems to move a little quicker about her." Rubbing his head, he gave off a tired sigh. "Any more surprises? Did Stephen at least manage to get some information from the former members of her band?"

"No, they're tight-lipped about it." Sabena couldn’t deny the woman's charisma and the way people reacted to her, so she wasn’t surprised.

"What about your secretary?"

Sebena raised an eyebrow.

"Oh, don’t give me that look. As long as I have known her, Lilia has always been unflappable. She is anything but in Eleanor's presence. Since she's not by your side, I gather that you left her in your study."

"She's assisting Eleanor."

"If you're not careful, Sebena," the Baroness grinned. "She is going to start collecting members of your household too."

Authors Note: Hey, sorry, I am late. It’s a little short, but I wanted to get something out. Unfortunately, while the Coronavirus is keeping many people from working, some are now even busier. As for the virus itself, please be well and stay safe.

up
342 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

this is really great stuff

I could read 5000 pages of this stuff. It's just such a joy to read.

And I love the side stories, which I often don't. This time it's great because I'm hoping it will fill in the blanks and we'll get an eventual overall picture.

Lovely stuff

Great Chapter :)

Enemyoffun's picture

This was a very great chapter, you're starting to build the pieces nicely. Glad to see you back :).

Yay

New chapter.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

The Cookie Drops Elsbeth leaves

BarbieLee's picture

All at once there are undercurrents all through this story. Elsbeth has a talent of leaving little hints scattered through out her story. They only become clear with the following chapters as they are woven back into the story line. Those on this world are truly starting to realize Lady Eleanor is not JUST a simple adventurer. I'm wondering what Opal told her mother about Lady Eleanor for so many camps and warriors to be on the move?
Is there a Cliffs Notes or a play book for this story? I swear I'm lost two thirds of the time.
hugs Elsbeth
always
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

I have been patiently awaiting this......

D. Eden's picture

OK - I lied. I have been VERY impatiently awaiting it, lol. Patience is not my strong point; Except of course in combat. Of course, that requires an entirely different level of focus.

This was just a touch confusing as the disconnect between the first part and the second was hard to understand. Beyond that, this is still one of my favorite stories, and I anxiously await more of it!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Confusion

It is understandable as the transition of Opal’s grandmother from her reverie of the past was not better delineated. The transition happens as soon as Opal enters the scene and disturbs her grandmother, Saren.

Correction: Saren is not clan chieftain, Opal’s mother is, not sure what is Saren’s title now.

Disconnection

Took my a couple reads to figure this out as well. The line between Grandmother's memory and what is happening now needs to be a bit clearer, I think.

Step to the Past

Elsbeth's picture

Changed it the bit, might redo it if I can find a second. Thanks for reading.

Be safe, stay well.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Slurp

Inhaled this episode in one sitting.

Wow, so the mystery about Eleanor deepens. Queen Cliodhna is a foxkin. She will likely die somehow in this battle coming up as the humans have deserted her.

Lady Eleanor is drawing the best and the brightest to her, earning unswerving loyalty from those around her in the process.

I honestly did not expect this flashback. It neatly answers so many questions about Opal and the beastkins.

Edit: Need I say that this continues to be an amazing series for which I have the privilege of reading.

I ask that Elsbeth keep herself safe too. On the one hand, as one who still works because I am considered to be working in a critical infrastructure job that can’t be done from home I get paid just like she does.

But it always comes at a higher exposure risk and I believe I have an elevated risk of pulmonary infection. I tend to take over a month to get over colds where other people get over in 2 weeks. Pulmonary weakness may ver6 well run on my father’s side.

Foxy

Not just foxkin, a "tall blonde foxkin" of the royal line. We are starting to see the resemblance as well.

Seems like Checkov's fox-ears might just go off ... err, on, in the third act. ;-)

loved the chapter

loved the chapter

I too have been waiting

WillowD's picture

I have tried patiently waiting. Without much success. Alas, impatiently waiting doesn't get the next chapter out faster either. I'm just glad that Elsbeth found time to write a new chapter. She has been unusually busy in recent weeks.

But the wait is so worth it. I find it interesting that Iona was noticed and recognized as a prodigy but the guild didn't move fast enough to follow up on it. I'm really delighted to get more on the reactions of the local barons. I look forward to the next chapter. Until then, stay safe Elsbeth.

Iona

Michelle was right, Iona is destined to be her court mage.

She.may even become the most powerful archmage ever.

Only five weeks?

WillowD's picture

Woah. The eternity that has passed since this chapter was published is barely 5 weeks long. Perhaps I should stop praying to the Goddess of Awesome Authors and switch to the God of Chance praying that Elsbeth stumble on some free time to write again. I miss her.

Another re-read.

WillowD's picture

And I've just reread the entire story again. Well barring the first chapter. I read that chapter so many times when this story first started being published that I eventually got tired of it. After 10 or 20 reads it wasn't quite as interesting anymore.

We miss you Elsbeth. It's been almost 9 months since we last heard from you.

I just finished my third or fourth time.....

D. Eden's picture

Through the story to date. Honestly, I forget which it is.

I hope against hope that Elsbeth is well and will return to us, picking up where she left off.

It is very scary when I think back to the fact that it was early in the pandemic when we last heard from her - a quick note about having to go out of town for work, and then nothing. Darkness and dead air.

Reading this story, along with Freyja’s Daughters helped me to get through a rough time in which my spouse, two of my sons, and I all came down with Covid. Last March and April were scary times to be in New York, especially when everyone in the house falls ill and I, as the one who was least affected had to take care of everyone else. Elsbeth helped me to keep my sanity, and helped me to fill the lonely nights while everyone else suffered.

Wherever she is, I hope this finds her safe and sound.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Elsbeth's stories are worse than potato chips

WillowD's picture

Have you ever tried to eat just one potato chip?

I started to re-read Harry Potter - Season of Change and the next thing I know I've also reread Freyja's Daughters and The Lost Queen.

Re-reading

WillowD's picture

Lately I've been re-reading these three stories about every 2 months. I re-read them at the end of October and I'm one short story away from rereading them again now. Sigh. I really miss Elsbeth. I hope she is OK.

Still re-reading

WillowD's picture

I am still re-reading these three stories on a regular basis. It's probably more like several times a year rather than every 2 months.

We still miss you Elsbeth. You're an awesome author.

Glad to hear all is well, or

Glad to hear all is well, or at least as well as can be expected. Reading these chapters is always difficult because I get the urge to completely reread all previous stories to try and find more connections and missing plot lines. This story is entirely too addicting.... thank you for writing them!! I definitely enjoy it!

It's interesting to see that the Queen was only a few generations previous and not a fable as I had previously assumed.

World Building

And with this update, we see some world building. Always a needed thing. And these kinda chapters tend to be on the small side usually anyways so... good job? Can't wait for more, but with the state of the world... take your time if needed.

A Collector

I have to laugh in that the nobles too have to careful as they too could be collected.

Given the backstory given here, it is no surprise why there seems to be a very good relationship between the humans in this barony and the beastkins.

The humans owe the beastkins for that backstabbing though but that apparently were due to the kings who cut the deal. This also means that a lot of empire lands were former beastkin lands.

Eleanor may very well be expected to help get those lands back somehow.

Ooooo, oooo umm...

Nyssa's picture

Can I get collected? I have SUCH a girl crush.

And the epic sweep and scale of this story is breathtaking.

Comic relief

You have to admire the author’s use of the younger folks as comic relief, starting with Iona who was originally portrayed as a bumbling ingenue type during the rescue arc. Byron has certainly stepped into that role very nicely and to think that was set up like back in volume 2, chapter one, Dum est spes uitae.

I would say the key to world building is, to borrow from a sports metaphor, going for the puck where it will be instead of where it is now. Some people call it leaving crumbs for what is to come. Rereading this story is so worth it to detect where those crumbs come from.

To save effort, I would suggest throw enough select elements out there over the course of world building so to provide a pool of threads to use going forward while also providing scope to the story.

Likeness between Lady Eleanor and Queen Clíodhna

And do not forget that, in Vol.1 chap. 3, during her stay in Wyndemere's Inn, Lady Eleanor almost frightened poor Alistair to death because he thought that Queen Clíodhna had risen from the dead.

Deen

New theory

New theory: the world boss from Eleanors raid wasnt actually killed and is the cause of the ice age. Mercia and Northumbria are kingdoms in England where Avalon seems to be. This implies that england is currently sitting under sheets of ice as the ice dragon continues to spread its eternal winter...

I'm in love with this story!

What wonderful writing: up there with the very best on the site :D I must have read it 4 times already, hoping each time that an extra chapter would appear as if by magic.

What other RPG/MMORPG stories do you love on this site? Two of my other favourites (UK spelling :P) are by the mighty Morpheus:

I don't know why this genre appeals so much, especially since I've never even played a desktop or online RPG!

I just re-read this story for what is perhaps the fifth time....

D. Eden's picture

It has now been just over 13 months since Elsbeth last posted. I, and many others, have been and still are worried about her.

Her last post spoke of how busy she was and wished everyone to stay safe due to the coronavirus epidemic. One can only hope and pray that she is safe and did not succumb to the virus like so many others. Any death is a terrible waste of life and opportunity, but some so much more than others.

The loss of her talent would be a sin, a crime against all of us denied the opportunity to know her better and to benefit from her work.

Wherever you are Elsbeth, I hope that you are healthy and happy, and that you are enjoying being yourself without worry or care.

I miss you, and I miss your prodigious talent. Every time I read your work I find more and more within it. Even now, after previously reading this story at least four times before, I find myself understanding even better than I did before. I can only hope and pray that perhaps someday it will be finished.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Where's Elsbeth?

WillowD's picture

Many of us have asked this over the months. Her comments on Freyja's Daughters - Chapter 7 on 2020/04/09 are the last time that any of us have seen her on BCTS. Her regular communications with a friend on Discord stopped at the same time. She was planning to post a new chapter of The Lost Queen a week later. She hasn't responded to any of our private messages to her. So she disappeared very abruptly and unexpectedly a few weeks after the pandemic started affecting her area of the world. Needless to say, a lot of us are worried.

I hope she is OK and that she shows up again some day. We miss you.

https://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/blog-entry/86436/does-anyone-...

Great story.

Just finished my third read through (first since making an account). Love this and your other stories Elsbeth.

Hoping you are safe and healthy.

I hope you....

Aine Sabine's picture

Are still working on this. It has been an enjoyable story so far and I am looking forward to more.

Aine

So sad that the author seems to be gone, wonderful story

Where was the author going with this? Have not yet visited the school. Have introduced many players that will likely be part of the adventuring. Who will tell Eleanor what she really is? I want a goddess to tell her. I want her at her cousin's wedding.