The Lost Queen Vol 2 Ch3 Time waits for no woman

Printer-friendly version

The Lost Queen

by:
Elsbeth

Suddenly transported to another world what will Eleanor need to do to survive and hopefully get home.

Queen

Chapter 3: Time waits for no woman

In no time at all, I was clean, took a short nap, had a snack, and now I was having my hair done. It was so nice being back in civilization or close enough to it in this world.

Realizing I had no idea how much was left until the meeting with the Captain, I started to look around the room then stopped. "Right, no clock."

Something else I missed from my world, unfortunately, I couldn’t even enable the one available in Magic-Life with my Administration Tab missing. In-game, it would hover right below your health and mana bar. Most of the beta-testers hid it, though, as it was just another distraction.

"Lady Eleanor?"

God, I'm such an idiot. Two hours, really? "When is the next bell? Actually, what is the next bell?"

"Fifth, my lady, although you still have time before your meeting with the Captain if that is what you're asking. When Master Thomasyn heard when you wanted to meet, he lit a candle clock."

A candle clock, huh. My knowledge of the history of timekeeping was somewhat hazy. The Greeks used sundials, the Chinese incense, and I think I remember reading that Big Ben was finished during Queen Victoria's reign. Oh, and the Arabs and the Romans used different methods to tell time, I think.

"Have you ever heard of water or mechanical clocks, Rosalyn?"

"A mechanical clock? No, my lady, although perhaps a follower of Savaro, might have heard of one." She paused for a moment. "However, in the port city of Rartham, there is a water clock at the Shrine of Ler. It's supposed to be very beautiful."

That got me curious about magical clocks. I wondered if this world had such a thing.

--0--

At the appointed time, the two of us entered the meeting room, and for a moment, I thought I heard a gasp before everyone came to their feet. They all appeared to be a little more rested and except for Captain Conrad had gotten out of their armor.

Karin and Leo gave me a warm smile looking comfortable in their light linen tunics. Iona wore the same dress she was wearing the first day we met. The others, too, had changed into well not exactly clean garments but cleaner than what they had been wearing. Warin, of course, was absent sleeping soundly upstairs.

I decided to wear my Black Lily dress so named because of its little black fleur-de-lis’ decorating the sleeves and skirt. The white nightweave outfit, like most of my clothing, was made for me by one of my guildmates who knew that I had a lily as part of my Mage’s Sigil.

Captain Conrad was present in his usual arming coat. However, I didn’t know the swarthy looking gentleman dressed in a blue and red houppelande along with a rather lovely tall-crowned chaperon.

“Master Jeffery of Harmon, let me introduce you to Lady Eleanor of House Reine.”

House Reine?

“My lady.” He took off his hat sweeping before him as he bowed.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Master Jeffery.“ I give the man a smile before taking a seat. Everyone soon followed, making themselves comfortable.

“My lady, I will be taking notes and passing them on to Guildmaster Stephen,” he began to explain as I watched him pull out a box setting it aside, an inkwell and a stack of parchment.

"Is Guildmaster Stephen the head of the guild in Harmon or the kingdom as a whole?" I asked.

Leo answered, "Harmon, my lady."

"Thank you. Captain, perhaps we should begin with Myra's band and let them report on their journey."

On our way back to Wyndemere, we only managed to get part of the story from Iona's sister. It would be a good place to start.

"Master Jeffery?" queried the Captain.

"Excellent suggestion, my lady." Picking up the quill, he looked across the table. "State your name."

At that very moment, I had a strong sense of déjà vu that left me breathless. Everything suddenly changed replaced by the conference room in the Prometheus' main office. Our Friday afternoon meetings where we went over the week's beta-testing problems occurred around a similar looking table.

Mark and Kathy took the place of Leo and Karin. The other members of my guild now sat next to me instead of Myra's party, and even the lead developers swapped places with Captain Conrad and Master Jeffery. It was so real. If I reached out, I could almost take Kathy's hand.

"Lady Eleanor?"

Then the world crashed around me. "Sorry Karin, what did you say?"

"You were concerned about the rock formation at the entrance to the labyrinth?"

Oh, it seems I missed part of the story.

Waving off the worry I could see in Karin's face, I replied, "Yes, most of the lower half was unstable. Either the entrance needs to be reinforced or that whole rock face removed."

The Captain looked confused but nodded. They must not have gotten to the part where we decided it was a living labyrinth.

Myra continued described how her party entered the dungeon and began exploring. They were thorough, searching every room, and examining every corridor. Her group also encountered a lot more monsters then we had during our short time on the first floor.

When she was finished, Jeffery looked at the copy of the map in front of him and began to ask about things that she had glossed over. From his questions, I could tell he must have been an adventurer himself.

"Do you think the spiders have an exit out of the labyrinth?"

Myra's party didn’t seem to know, so Leo offered up a response. "Although we didn’t encounter any of the creatures outside, we do believe that through the large web filled chamber, there might be a way to the surface."

Karin looked towards me, "Lady Eleanor searched the caves at the top of the hill after we exited the labyrinth."

"Although I didn’t go far, Master Jeffrey, the cave system seemed fairly complex." I explained further, "And from the tools scattered about, we believe that the goblyns were actively expanding it."

"That’s why we're confident that they unintentionally caused the rockslide by undermining the cliff face," Leo remarked. "It might have blocked the spiders' exit, but we just don’t know."

"I see," Master Jeffrey made a note on another piece of parchment. "And it's not unknown for the two groups to work together."

Some goblyns lived in a symbiotic relationship with certain types of spiders. Their dead, sick and wounded were fed to the arachnids, and in turn, they harvested the webs for all sorts of things and even rode on the larger ones into battle. I had read about similar monsters riding giant wolves but spiders!

Thankfully we took a small break. While Rosalyn set down a cup of Mulberry wine in front of me, I could see that the next part of the story was going to be hard on Myra's party.

Once everyone returned, Amice picked up the narrative describing how their band traveled downstairs to find the way forward blocked. It was only after Argus couldn’t remove the magical lock on the door at the entrance that the group decided to take the stairs. Not being able to dispel the enchantment should have raised a red flag, but then again, I probably wouldn’t have stopped either.

"So, your mage Argus was able to remove the enchantment on the door?" Master Jeffrey pointed to the map.

"At that time, yes."

Nodding, he made a notation on the parchment, and in his notes, "Continue."

Much like the first floor, Myra's party was thorough, finding several rooms and passageways we missed. They also decided to leave the antlion's nest alone. When Amice got to the point where they entered the corridor with the glowing gems, the guild's representative raised his hand.

Looking worried, he then directed his next question towards Iona's Aunt and Uncle, "A floor guardian?"

"Yes, we believe so," Leo confirmed what I believe was worrying Master Jeffrey.

"Sweet merciful Dinya," he whispered in shock.

"Floor guardian?" Captain Conrad asked.

"In living labyrinths," the Captain's intake of breath caused Leo to pause for a moment. "In living labyrinths, certain monsters must be defeated before you can advance."

"It's also normally a much more difficult opponent to face than the rest of the creatures on that floor," Master Jeffrey explained further.

Amice hesitated then looked to the others. "The door was magically locked, but Argus easily disenchanted it. Unfortunately, as soon as our band entered the room, we could hardly see. It was if someone had thrown a blanket over the magic lamps."

"Argus thought it was some sort of magical darkness," Myra added.

Katilia nodded, "It was at that point that the floor guardian or whatever it was dropped from the ceiling and attacked. Poor Denis didn’t even see it coming."

"With his throat slashed, his death must have been almost instantaneous," Amice sadly added. "Warin seeing his friend fall, immediately charged forward."

"But he couldn’t touch her; it was as if she was made of shadows. The creature was also very beautiful but in a horrible mockery of beauty," Myra commented with a frown.

"She?" The Captain asked.

Katilia shrugged. "It was humanoid fought on two feet, but it was so sodding fast. It wielded no weapons, just razor-sharp claws that chewed through Warin's shield like parchment. Argus' magic did little to it; in fact, we couldn't harm it."

"Were any of your weapons enchanted?"

Myra answered, "Only Denis's sword, Master Jeffrey, but we had to leave it behind."

"Enchanted weapons only then," I commented. Normal weapons might be able to do it but would have to be able to get past the creature's physical resistance.

"I agree, my lady. Could also be the reason why he was targeted first," Jeffrey acknowledged and then wrote a few sentences for his report. "C-rank or better, although once the floor is cleared, it should be reevaluated."

"We knew this was a fight we couldn't win, so we retreated. Well, after Warin tossed his now useless shield at the monster."

"We ran Katilia," Myra whispered.

"We did, and that is why we're still alive!" the scout pointed out forcefully. She then took a deep breath. "When the doors closed behind us, we discovered that the creature didn’t follow."

"Thank Dinya," Amice said.

Katilia continued, "Most of us at that point were wounded. Amice was thankfully able to heal us, but it didn’t change our decision to leave the labyrinth."

"But she wouldn’t allow us." Myra then explained how Argus was unable to remove the enchantment on the exit.

Iona reached over and held her sister's hand.

Jeffry frowned. "That’s an unusual requirement for a floor guardian, although I've heard that the Ingsmouth labyrinth has something similar."

"Yes," Karin replied. "In the marble chamber on the third floor, you have to defeat the stone sentinels to be able to leave the citadel."

"Since Argus couldn’t open the door to the stairs, we began searching for another way out. Maybe a secret passageway or hidden doorway we missed." Katilia recalled, "To our surprise, there were bodies on the floor in a chamber near the exit."

Myra looked towards the others. "We should have been more careful but with Denis's death."

"Which should have made us more cautious, not stupid," Katilia sighed.

The three went over the fight with the wights, Argus's death, and the long retreat back to the waterfall chamber, ending with how the four became trapped by the ratkins.

Iona asked, "Lady Eleanor, you called the again-walkers something else?"

"Wights or lesser wights and the heavily armored one with the ax was a barrow-wight."

"Thank you, my lady." Jeffrey wrote it down. "It's not unheard of for different countries to have their own names for the same creatures Mage Iona. I heard that in the far north, the again-walkers are called vaettrr."

After a few more questions from Master Jeffrey, we took another break. Amice immediately excused herself and went to check on Warin.

"You don’t have to remain, Myra. If the three of you want to rest, maybe get something to eat?" Karin offered. She looked towards the guild representative who nodded.

"No, that’s OK, Auntie. I'll stay."

"I will too, Mistress Karin."

Once Amice returned, she informed us that Warin was doing well. The two had spoken for a few minutes while he was busy having something to eat. She also thanked Captain Conrad for getting one of the village's healers to watch her fiancé while she was in the meeting.

"Iona, why don’t you start? You have most of the background of what went on before the two of us were acquainted."

"Yes, my lady," she nervously replied then went directly into the tale of what happened after her sister left her back in Harmon.

She got sidetracked a few times where Karin had to step in, but finally, Iona got us to the meeting the night before we left.

Captain Conrad then interrupted her. "Lady Eleanor, I would like to thank you for escorting my guardsmen through the Forest Road. They were able to meet with the Glendale caravan and return safely with them."

Although I vaguely remembered they were escorting us at first, I replied, "You're welcome, Captain, and it's good to hear everything turned out alright."

Karin then described the encounters on the road. When she got to the point where I killed the guru with a single strike to the back of the ear, Jeffery gave me a strange look but went back to writing.

"Lady Eleanor, were those the Godstones that you traveled through to end up in our Kingdom?" Jeffrey inquired.

I am not sure I traveled through anything, but that’s where I landed. Thankfully he seemed to know the story, so I didn’t have to tell it again. "Yes."

"Thank you, my lady."

Leo picked up the story with our party leaving the guardsmen then the encounters with the spiders and the basilisk. As he started to explain how his wife was knocked off her feet and covered by the basilisk's breath weapon, the guild representative started to laugh. Captain Conrad, however, didn’t seem as amused.

"A basilisk, Leo?" Jeffrey chuckled. "Absurd, your wife should have been slain. I don’t doubt your martial prowess, my lady, but even you…"

He seemed a nice enough man, but I hated it when someone called me a liar. The sound of something heavy clattering on the table stopped him short.

"Lady Eleanor?" Captain Conrad looked at me, concerned.

"Karin, if you would be so kind as to give this to your guild representative, perhaps he recognizes the tooth."

It even had a bit of flesh left on it. I then took out a second to have her hand it to the Captain.

"I collected most of them since I thought I could find some other uses for basilisk teeth."

With wide eyes, Jeffry looked at the ten-inch long fang then hesitantly asked, "My lady are you perhaps an alchemist or an enchantress?"

I shrugged, "I dabble."

Nodding, he stood then gave me a deep bow. "I apologize, Lady Eleanor, if I have offended you."

I waved off his concern. "It's fine, Master Jeffrey."

Passing the fangs back to me, Karin tried to hide her shit-eating grin while her husband continued with the rest of the story. The guild representative, however, had taken his seat but hadn’t picked up his quill. It didn’t matter as this part of the journey was mostly covered by Myra, or well, I think it was, as I missed most of it.

Once we got into the dungeon, Master Jeffrey picked up his pen but only wrote a few notes. He did seem interested when we discussed how the bodies disappeared the next day, confirming or at least hinting at that this might be a living labyrinth. The fight, however, with the wights had him sitting forward in his seat. Captain Conrad seemed just as interested.

"And this ax that the…what was the name you called it? Oh yes, barrow-wight. You retrieved it?"

"We did," Leo replied then looked at me.

"It's in my possession." As much as it would amuse me, I wasn’t going to take it out of my inventory and toss it on the table.

"Would it be possible for someone in the guild to examine it, my lady?" Master Jeffrey respectfully asked.

"Unless anyone has any objections, I have no issues with it."

"Thank you, my lady." And of course, he noted it in his report.

Leo continued with finding the gem lit corridor, then the encounter with the ratkin, and rescuing Myra's party. Captain Conrad seemed more interested in the fight than our guild representative did.

"Lady Eleanor, can I ask you about these wards you placed on the entrances into the Waterfall chamber?"

"Of course."

"Are they permanent?" Master Jeffrey seemed somewhat concerned.

"No, as I didn’t carve them into the stone. I very much doubt the fire runes much less the alarm wards were still active once we left the labyrinth," I assured him.

Although the developers hadn't implemented a full PvP system yet, in a future release, there was supposed to be a battleground in which players could invade other guildhalls. So, we tested and retested the creation of traps and wards inside our hall. Once we were finished, they looked a lot like carved runes.

Since I was the guildmaster, I set up the initial wards, and then Minerva added the rest. She even set up numerous magical traps to deal with any uninvited guests. The developers amused themselves for most of a week afterward by having all the players try to conquer each other guildhalls.

"Can you please mark them on the map?"

"Of course," I picked up the offered quill dipped it in the inkwell and wrote with my now very feminine script that I had added both alarm wards and fire runes.

"Oh?"

"Is there something wrong, my lady?" Karin asked.

"It's nothing," I smiled and handed the map and quill back to Master Jeffrey.

Besides my sudden quill mastery, I had just written in the language used in the southern kingdom. I could only assume my writing language prowess was part of the whole language package I picked up.

Leo finished the story with both our groups returning to Wyndemere. The Captain had a couple of questions about the monsters we encountered, especially the two-headed dogs. It only confirmed how dangerous the Pale Hills were getting.

"I am hesitant about setting the difficulty of the first floor right now, but between the again walkers, the antlion nest, and the floor guardian, we are most definitely looking at a rating of C-rank at the minimum for the second floor."

"The three of us also came to that conclusion, Jeffrey," Leo concurred. "Note in your report that the ratkins came in numbers. That’s going to an issue even with a C-ranked party."

"That’s all well and good, Master Jeffrey." Captain Conrad said, sounding a little frustrated. "Sweet Dinya, a living labyrinth. Are you sure you aren’t mistaken?"

Leo looked apologetic. "Captain, my wife and I both have been in Ingsmouth. And from what we have seen, we think that it’s a living labyrinth."

"Lady Eleanor." He looked at me expectantly. Shame, I was going to have to dash his hopes.

"I have to agree with Leo and Karin. That place has a certain intelligence."

Master Jeffrey nodded, "It's not uncommon for higher-ranked adventurers to have those feelings inside a living labyrinth."

"And as you say, Captain Conrad, traveling the Forest Road has also become much more dangerous." Karin pointed out.

"This will have to be reported to the Baroness and eventually His Majesty." The Captain frowned. "The Merchant Guild isn’t going to be happy either."

Iona looked a little confused. "Why?"

"It's going to cost more for the caravans to use the Albanese Way due to the need to increase their caravan guards," Leo explained. "Thankfully, the labyrinth is in the Pale Hills and not next to the village, like Ingsgate."

"Well, having a living labyrinth in this kingdom will be a great boon to us," the guild representative chirped.

I could tell Captain Conrad was trying to hide a scowl. Instead, he asked, "Master Jeffrey, I will also need you to speak with your Guildmaster. I need two more adventuring bands besides the ones I have already requested to clear out the forests around the village."

The guild representative nodded then wrote down what the Captain asked for. Master Jeffrey then sighed, his cheerfulness dampened quite a bit, "I will have to hand this report to the Guildmaster personally. He will also have questions, oh so many questions."

He then looked up to me hopefully, "Lady Eleanor, it might be a bit presumptuous of me to ask but is it possible for you to accompany me to Harmon. And the others too, as they also might have information that the Guildmaster might find useful."

I gave the man a sympathetic smile, "Master Jeffrey, I understand the need to return with this information in a timely manner. However, you must understand that we have only just returned to Wyndemere from the labyrinth. Some of us are in no position to travel further."

I could see him deflate. "However, may I suggest that you start the journey? I believe in a couple of days, some of us will be able to follow, although Amice and her betrothed will most likely remain here."

The young healer gave me a grateful smile. Warin was doing better, but from what I was told, he wasn't going to be fit to travel for at least a week.

"I will also send a message to Sir Eric at the castle, Master Jeffrey. He will want to be at the meeting as well." The Captain then turned to me, "Lady Eleanor, if you don’t mind traveling by river. I am sure one of the returning supply boats can take your band to Harmon."

Captain Conrad thankfully ended the discussion there. It had been a rather long day. After telling everyone that I would be available tomorrow if they needed to speak to me further, I left the room, followed by Rosalyn.

I tried not to let it show, but the vision or whatever it was had rattled me. I wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed.

Of course, I couldn’t fool my Lady's Maid as she helped me undress, "Are you sure you don’t want something to eat, Lady Eleanor?"

"No, thank you, Rosalyn, I just want to go to sleep. Though if you could please inform Master Leo and his wife that I would be happy to meet with them sometime tomorrow to continue our discussion about Iona?"

"Of course, my lady," she replied, setting down my outer dress over one of the chairs.

"I'm sorry." Wiping tears from my eyes, I tried to give Rosalyn a smile, "I'm just tired."

"I understand, my lady," she replied softly.

As soon as the bedroom door closed, the tears came again and wouldn’t stop until I drifted off to sleep.

--0--

Deep in the Dry Hill, a half a dozen riders increased their pace when the afternoon sky began to darken, threatening rain. Normally those who travel through the dusty land welcomed what relief the afternoon showers would bring, but it would only slow them down. Their early morning departure from the caravan had not been noticed, but a prolonged absence would not.

Such was the life of those who lived in two worlds.

If anyone told the well-dressed horsemen that they would be in danger from the Dal Riata, the group would nod sagely and then laugh among themselves. So it came as no surprise to their leader when suddenly surrounded by raiders, it did not come to blows.

"You’re a long way from your caravan, cath fach!" A rather tall catkin called out much to the amusement of his dozen or so mounted companions.

With a long-suffering sigh, the one he called cath fach, pulled off her rose-colored hood, and said, "I need to see my grandmother Drog."

"Oh, and I thought the two of you weren’t speaking to one another."

The cinnamon-colored cat woman gave the rider a hard look. "Do you think I would be out here if it wasn’t important?"

"Maybe you got lost!" Another catkin called out, causing the raiders to roar with laughter.

"I have no time for this," she whispered fiercely.

"Oh, let her through cousins," another beastman rode through the group. "How are you, Opal, growing soft in the cities?"

"I'll show you soft, Pendrin, if I wasn’t in such a hurry," she greeted him warmly, "How's Shryan?"

"Beautiful as always and as big as a horse," the catkin laughed.

Opal sighed and shook her head, "Pregnant again?"

"Of course." He then motioned the others to move back and leaned forward. "I take that whatever news you have is urgent."

"It is. Please, Pendrin, I can't be away from the caravan long."

"Alright, Opal, don’t blame me if you lose your head. Your grandmother wasn’t happy when you left. Come, I'll escort you. The others will have to remain here. You can tell me about your family on the way."

He then turned his horse around and started to ride off towards a large group of tents. Motioning to her guards to stay, Opal followed the younger beast-man into the Dal Riata camp.

up
320 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay

Another excellent chapter.
I gather from Jeffrey’s reaction that either he has never met an A -rank of she is a cut above all the rest. I loved Karins reaction to him eating crow.
Opal I wonder if they are going to try to rob Lady Eleanor that will not go well for them.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Screen refreshing contest.

WillowD's picture

And Michelle wins the screen refreshing contest and gets the first comment in a full 28 minutes before anybody else.

Yay Michelle.

A contest I am happy to lose

I am happy to lose the screen refreshing contest. It means I haven't been obsessing about the story. Although I was thinking about it far too much.

I am not obsessing!!!

WillowD's picture

OK, I do click regularly on Sundays to see if the story is out yet. And I do reread whole chapters in order to check on information before making comments. And I'm not making more than 5 or 6 comments per chapter, am I?

And I may frequently reread the last few chapters during the middle of the week during the long drought before Sunday arrives again. (Starting with volume 1 chapter 1 counts as the last few chapters, right?)

But I am not obsessing.

Ah, who am I kidding. This story is awesome. And it's clicking all of my buttons on what I like in a story. So, yeah, I'm obsessing. 'Cause it's awesome.

Hmm. I wonder if Elsbeth has released the next chapter yet? I mean, it's possible she wrote several chapters at once and couldn't resist releasing a second one in the same day, right? I'd better go check just in case.

Jeffrey

I am singularly unimpressed with his diplomatic skills.

Okay, it is unlikely for someone to kill a basilisk fighting toe to toe but there are more polite ways of finding the truth of such a claim.

Speaking of the basilisk, I wonder how much that core is worth. I am pretty sure it runs into many pieces of gold considering how difficult it is to kill one.

I am grateful for given the size of the fangs. It means the damn thing must be at least 4 meters long ignoring the tail and 1 to 1.5 meters high or so.

Diplomatic skills

While his diplomacy could use work, if he wanted to press the issue we have already seen the preservative effects of extra-dimensional storage. From his POV there is no guarantee that she was involved in killing it at all.

Though that may not be the best idea, because if he's wrong, then he is insulting a noble who can kill a basilisk solo in close combat.

Insults

It’s not just her he us insulting but also the three locals of respectable character who are her witnesses.

Wonderful

as always. I can now stop constantly refreshing the page looking for the latest chapter too :)

Lots of new stuff.

WillowD's picture

If this story eventually has enough chapters then it's going to make an awesome novel.

Just adding the vision of the beta test meeting, and then the bit with Opal opens up whole new dimensions to the story that I hope we eventually learn more about.

Opal

WillowD's picture

For those that don't remember, we first meet Opal in volume 1, chapter 3. Lady Eleanor had lunch with Opal and her family in the market and then bought a lot of high quality fabric from her.

Thank you

Thank you. While I remembered the cloth merchant in the market quite well, I could not have remembered her name to save my life. (I am horrible at names.)

There was something a little strange about that meeting. Why DID Eleanor buy all that cloth that she couldn't use?

Now, of course, we could speculate about what Opal's plans and worries are, but I won't go there; there are just too many possibilities.
I will say that I don't think she is stupid to plan to attack Eleanor, but beyond that, I have no idea.

Opal

Well, that is what makes this a semi-cliffhanger: Is Opal a friend or a fifth columnist in the guise of a merchant.

Opal

I don't know what Opal is doing. But I do know that whatever it is, it is against the wishes of her grandmother, so it is unlikely that she is doing anything as part of her clan's plans. Thus it is unlikely that she is a fifth columnist. Whatever she is doing, she is doing on her own. She was not sent.

Opal

Guess that makes sense. She seems to like Eleanor anyhow but still blood and water comes to mind.

But, my best guess at this point is she is here to consult with Grandmother about the omen of Eleanor’s sudden appearance. Furthermore, I think Opal is high ranked too among the catkins, possibly even in line for the leadership.

It will be interesting to find out.

Actually, I didn't find that part at all strange.

WillowD's picture

Eleanor is a woman who LOVES pretty clothing. And this particular clothing can be turned into mid-tier mage robes if you know how to craft. And while she doesn't have that crafting skill herself she might be able to learn it. After all, she is no longer in a system where you need unused skill points to learn new skills. And failing that, she may be able to find someone else to do the sewing and then do the enchanting herself.

Yes, she has much better armor for herself. But it is still good for pretty. It could be turned into dresses for herself. And it's good for making armor for adventuring companions. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some of this fabric was used to make Iona's armor.

Cloth she couldn't use?

BarbieLee's picture

Um..., not to be too obvious AND we all know this is a fictional story. BUT..., Eleanor is a female and as such doesn't need to have a reason to buy fine silks and other cloths. Some of which she asked Opal if it held enchantments. "It holds them very well." There are many of us who have walked the aisles of bolts of cloth and wished we had a yard or two of one or more of the cloth we were examining. And I double dog dare any girl to deny she has yards of material in the closet or in the chest she purchased long ago promising herself it would make a beautiful skirt, a beautiful blouse, or if there is enough, a beautiful dress. It's easy enough to purchase the material. It is that getting out the patterns and the sewing machine to turn it into something we could see in our own mind when we first purchased it.
I swear I can make a lot better clothes than what we find at Wally World or the other stores now. Maybe Lady Eleanor will hire me as her seamstress? I'm afraid she will have to get someone else to sew the runes into making it magical.
always
Barb
There is never an end to the rode of life until we take that final step and realize we made the journey.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Cloth

WillowD's picture

I have, at times, had close to 2 cubic meters worth of cloth that haven't been turned into treasures. (A friend of mine was downsizing so I took advantage.) And one of my friends probably had about 5 to 10 cubic meters worth until she started downsizing.

Cloth is awesome. It has the potential to be turned in to so many awesome pretties to wear. Alas, my enthusiasm with sewing projects has never been able to keep up with my enthusiasm with collecting supplies when they are available for buying.

Fabrics I don't have a problem

Elsbeth's picture

I might have hmm some fabric sitting in my closet, I mean sure I have projects. Plus it was on sale, so i saved a bunch buying that silk velvet in bulk right? :) And at the end of the season, its usually half price And don't forget the nice thread Eleanor bought too, because you know because

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Wish I could sew

I don’t have the time though, another thing to do during retirement.

Speaking of sewing inspiration, Nancy Zieman of Sewing with Nancy fame died two years ago.

So many of my favorite television personalities have died in recent years.

well

It just might work in with the title of the story, but your right no telling at this point.

This has been one of my

This has been one of my favorite stories since you started it, always glad to see another chapter
I'm left wondering are the new Catkin the good guys or the bad guys, and is Opal reporting on the arrival of Lady Eleanor, if so do they consider her friend or foe? time will tell

Breaking news

We, the readers, can surmise two pieces of information that Opal might be carrying.

1. Lady Eleanor - honestly, a lost noble lady doesn't strike me as that news worthy, unless they have a prophecy or something that we are unaware of.

2. The living labyrinth - this, to my mind, is way more important. Depending on how good a claim the Baroness has on the area and on if the tribe can get there first, they may be able to get a financial and/or political foothold that would be difficult to dislodge if they have an even half legal claim.

Or they could show up in force and plunder the place before any taxes or fees get implemented.

Timing

The timing does not work out for Opal to know about the labyrinth. The first anyone knows of it in Wyndemere is when Eleanor and her party tell everyone about it. Opal had left town well before they had gotten back. Her news has to be about Eleanor.

For all we know, Opal's message could be "I've found a sucker who buys up lots of expensive cloth." 🙂

I'm not so sure

I'm not so sure. It was speculated about in the meeting between Eleanor and Capt Conrad & Iona.

Afterward Eleanor bought and adjusted armor for the group. When exactly did Opal leave and how fast does gossip travel.

Remember, Capt Conrsd has already mentioned rumors being spread by merchants.

"A basilisk, Leo?"

BarbieLee's picture

"My lady are you perhaps an alchemist or an enchantress?" It deepens and sadly the heart tug at the end of Lady Elanor missing all her friends was pretty strong. I'm betting her Lady's Maid Rosalyn heard her. Sadly what can any of them do if Lady Elanor is destined for greater things? Sometimes the hardest part of living is living instead of dying.
A very well scripted story and it has a huge range of emotions bundled into it.
always
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it until it's time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Heraldry

We've seen how the local nobility responded to Eleanor's guild emblem. Glory and the sacredness of life, iirc.

The gasp when she arrived displaying the fleur-de-lis may mean that it has meaning here that she failed to consider. It has been diluted in our modern world, but it has links as high as French royalty.

But I'm sure it's fine, she is just a common adventurer.

She's just a common adventurer

Elsbeth's picture

That's right, there's nothing to see here just your typical adventurer, move on :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

A fun read

Erisian's picture

Just binged through the whole thing so far and really enjoyed it! Definitely looking forward to more.
Thanks!

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you, I'm happy your enjoying the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Heartbreaking

Eleanor is seriously homesick and it is heartbreaking. Plus the burdens she has been given are not trivial. She needs some kind of confidant in her corner to hold it together through what is to come.

If she was transported over by a deity, she has been given the monetary, language and magical and martial skills needed to survive. But not the emotional one which to me is a serious oversight.

Emotional support

WillowD's picture

It has been mentioned a number of times that Eleanor was surprised she wasn't more upset or uncomfortable with her new environment. She thought it should have felt more awkward or upsetting to suddenly be in a woman's body. When her next period comes it is probably going to feel like her next of many, not her first.

Yes, she misses her friends and worries about what her disappearance is doing to them. But emotionally, she seems more stable than someone who has just moved out of her parents house to a distant city to start university in pre-internet days. (I.e. when social media didn't exist and long distance phone calls were expensive.)

Incidentally, I also think that the "gasp" was the new guy noticing how awesome Lady Eleanor is and not a reaction to the design on her dress. After all, the design is part of her guild badge and her personal sigil. But I could easily be wrong. For instance, it is certainly possible that only royalty decorates their clothing with their personal sigil in that manner.

Guild Sigil

Her guild sigil has a gold star in the middle, her mages sigil has the lily.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Stability

To me that speaks more of iron will more than anything. She is effectively exiled from all she knows. While magic offers her the thin hope of leaving, she has to shoulder the burdens of her fears, hopes and doubts alone. God forbid how she will handle the distress if not even the archmage can help her

black lily fleur-de-lis’

BarbieLee's picture

I must say I'm learning a lot of new words with this story. Are we going to have a test at the end to see how many new words we learned?
Look up black lily fleur-de-lis’ on Google and then go to the images.
https://tinyurl.com/ydtue8sj
The symbol can be relative simple or amazingly complex and very beautiful either way. A beautiful piece of art work to be sewn or painted on a beautiful gown. If I was in that meeting room I imagine I might gasp at the vision of radiant beauty that walked in as Lady Eleanor presented herself.Someone mentioned it was also tied to the French Crown. Searching through the lily symbols there are some there representing crowns. Thus did Eleanor out herself even more as more than a simple adventurer or even a noble? She is tied into royalty by the designation of the black lily fleur-de-lis. If we drank soda pop back in that age, I'd bet one. All of them except that ignorant scribe realize the fact.
Her Lady's Maiden was very fortunate to attach herself to her Ladyship both being served well to such a relationship.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Raiders?

My5InchFMHeels's picture

The Raiders going to be a faction to create conflict, or a one off type obstacle for our lady? Should be interesting either way the conflict goes.

If the Raiders were to create a blockage to the labyrinth, it could get really interesting, should The Baroness or the Adventurer's Guild choose to employ Eleanor to find a group that'll make it through the labyrinth.

It was nice to see Eleanor shut down Master Jeffery on the Basilisk, and I could do with several more examples of the same.

"I dabble"

Nyssa's picture

I love how she's in a strange world with customs she doesn't understand and yet she's the one keeping everyone else off balance. I found myself with Leo and Karin (and Iona), thinking, "Guildmaster Jeffrey, you have no idea."

And my take on what everyone else seems to be commenting on, the gasp when she entered the room is that it was her beauty and the presence she has. Plus she's obviuosly a total badass, awesome hottie.

Oh, and I think Opal is going to be the source of Eleanor's next quest.

Del riata

I’m wondering if they used to belong to Avalon.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Dal Riata

Strange, this is the same name as one of the kingdoms in Sacrificial Boy.

Hmmmm.

Ah!

Thank you!

That brings up an interesting question of how large of a region they come from as well as the origin of the catkins themselves really. At first blush it seems they might be semi-nomadic but tolerated as Opal seems able to trade openly. So are the raiders ‘official’ or are they rogue?

Lots to think about.

Official or Rogue

It may be a matter of yes.

The nomadic raider "tradional" lifestyle and the newer traveling merchant/acculturation of the younger generation mixing into the human group in the region.

Could be why Grandmother is mad at Opal. She espouses the traditional "strength" of the tribe, while Opal is considered "weak" for adapting to the human ways.

Could be Opal still feels enough loyalty to the tribe to tell them of the dungeon or to warn them not to raid in the area because of the A class adventurer.

This story truly intrigues me

BarbieLee's picture

I'm still thinking about all the small innuendoes Elsbeth has dumped into each chapter leaving her readers to puzzle out the purpose or if they are simply what they appear, added details to flesh out the story.

One of those in this chapter was Lady Eleanor heard a gasp as she entered the meeting room. At first I thought it was because of her stunning beauty. After giving it as much serious thought as I would one of my English exams before I failed it, which was a given, I believe it came from Katilia and she recognized the black fleur-de-lis’ decorating the sleeves and skirt as being the symbol of Royal Blood. We haven't been given any data about where she came from and who she served before joining up with Myra's band. There are many different designs of the fleur-de-lis' with almost as many different meanings. It isn't a simple little design decoration. The lily design is of the Royal Crest of the highest order. The Queen and or her daughters were allowed to use the lily fleur-de-lis’. Am I reading too much into this? Me thinks not.

Let's move onto the second mind bender Elsbeth dropped on her readers. The living labyrinth has an intelligence and Lady Eleanor sensed it. I think the labyrinth also sensed Lady Eleanor for who she really is and didn't want to get into magical confrontations with her which might have destroyed them both. Or it understood it would lose if it did. Thus it didn't ramp up what could have been a disaster, sending ratkins, antlions, zombies, wights, guardian all against her at the same time.

Elsbeth, with your excellent story writing and this exciting tale, I'm trapped the same as the actors and actresses until you release us all.
hugs hon
always,
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it until it's time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

cath fach

Google translate informs me that "cath fach" means "a small cat" in Welsh.

We have seen that Eleanor's weapons and crown are named in Welsh. I believe, thought that this is the first time we have seen any natives to this world speak Welsh. Certainly, the gate guards at Wyndemere when Eleanor first arrived did not speak Welsh, and it did not seem to me that Eleanor's party members knew what the names of Eleanor's sword and spear meant.

I do not know what the significance of the commonality of language is, but I am sure there is some. (Aside from the fact that Elsbeth likes Welsh.)

"cath fach"

Elsbeth's picture

Or little kitty :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Welsh

On a related note, I've been wondering about the pronunciation of Iona. I've been reading it Yo-nah, but is it supposed to be EYE-oh-nah? My Google results have been mixed.

Iona

Elsbeth's picture

Well, in wales it's pronounced yon-ah :) Although eye-own-ah is probably right too. Depends where your from. It's the name of a Scottish island which might be a misspelling of Ioua, which is a older name for the island.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Welsh

Elsbeth's picture

Just note she only gave a name to her horse the rest were the developers. They sort of got on the Eleanor Princess train too :)

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Today is the day

We get a new chapter today,

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

*snort*

Just don’t bring BC’s servers to its knees with the page refreshes, fans!

lol