The Lost Queen - Appendices

Printer-friendly version
The Lost Queen

by:
Elsbeth

Suddenly transported to another world what will Eleanor need to do to survive and hopefully get home.

The Lost Queen - Appendices

MMORPG or RPG Terms

Aggro - general term used for the way mobs react to players, i.e. aggressive. Players getting "aggro" did something to anger the mob that will start attacking them. There are several ways to "draw" aggro: coming into a certain radius of the mob, or initiating combat with them yourself.

Alt - or alternate character is a character in addition to one's "primary" or "Main" player character. In addition, one frequent use is to play characters of opposite gender or to see what new features have been added since they last were on a low-level character.

Buff - refers to preparatory actions taken before combat, usually involving the casting of spells adding additional bonuses to characters.

Burst Damage- is a term used to describe dealing high amounts of damage in a brief period of time. Spells that qualify for burst damage are often mana inefficient.

Class - a specific type of character, signifying a role or profession (ie. medic, paladin, mage, warrior...).

Crafting Craft - a general category of skills that allows players to manufacture objects from raw resources.

Escort Missions – a job where you have to safeguard an NPC without getting them killed. Now, this wouldn't be so bad except that the NPCs are universally stupid, running ahead and getting killed in the process. Many players despise these types of jobs.

Death Penalty – in real life, death is well permanent, in an MMORPG, not so much. Yet death in 99% of MMOs is a mere inconvenience and speed bump — you don’t lose experience, and you don’t lose much of your time.

Instance- is an environment where the structure is the same for all parties who enter you will never encounter another party while yours is playing through the area, and thus it is a specific instance of this area or mission. Instances usually have much better rewards than the normal overworld map in an MMORPG.

Guild (Clan) - an organization of players. Guilds are supported by in-game systems that allow for sharing of resources, experiences, and information with other members. In typical games, players must use a substantial amount of capital to start the guild.

Minimap - a mini-map or minimap is a miniature map that is often placed at a screen corner in video games to aid players in orienting themselves within the game world. They are usually only a small portion of the screen and thus must be selective in what details they display.

MMORPG - Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game

MOB - an old programming acronym of Mobile Object Block. Mobs are all computer controlled characters in the game. You should likely use some other term such as monster, creep, or bad guy.

MOB difficulty – a quest or mob's difficulty color is sometimes referred to as its "con.” This is a holdover from text-based games where the standard command to determine difficulty was /con or /consider. Many games have simplified the process by displaying the appropriate color on a hostile mob's portrait's level number when you target it.

Newbie Zone - an area around starting cities where newbies first start killing mobs.

NPC - this is a non player-controlled character. The server controls the characters. A "computer" character.

Noob- newbie newb noob or n00b is a slang term for a novice or newcomer or somebody inexperienced in a profession or activity. Variant forms of the noun include Newby and newbee, while the related term noob (often stylized as "n00b") is commonly used in online gaming.

PvE - Player vs. Environment. Combat between players and computer controlled opponents.

PvP - Player vs. Player. This means for one player to attack another player

Mana (bar) - in many games, healers and damage casters have mana bars, but other classes might not. A class with a mana bar expends mana whenever they cast a spell, and different spells have differences in mana costs and possibly cooldowns. The spell cost is particularly important for games in which certain spells are spammable, e.g. Greater Heal vs Flash Heal.

Quest - an adventure requiring cunning, discipline, bravery to succeed, but invariably undertaken with idiocy, disorder, and cowardice. Reward is always inversely proportional to the effort and risk involved.

Rollback - the full state of the game world is usually not saved permanently on the game servers continuously, but is done at intervals. To fix a big problem with a gaming world, the game may be rolled back to a previous state. Players possessions, their whereabouts, their state, etc. will all be rolled back and appear to be in the same state as they were on that point in time.

Root - can refer to a class of abilities as well as its effect. A root spell immobilizes a target. The target is then said to be rooted. Early versions of these abilities involved references to plants hence "root."

Skills - various abilities the character is capable of using, such as wielding specific types of weapons, wearing specific types of armor, casting specific types of spells, or even creating specific types of items

Solo - the act of playing alone, hunting mobs alone.

Spamming - in the context of video games, refers to the repeated use of the same item or action. For example, "grenade spamming" is the act of a player throwing many grenades in succession into an area.

Spawning - in video games, spawning is the live creation of a character item or NPC. Respawning is the recreation of an entity after its death or destruction, perhaps after losing one of its lives. Despawning is the deletion of a body from the game world.

Tank - a tank or also known as a meat shield, redirect enemy attacks or attention toward themselves to protect others. Typically, the fighter tries to take as much aggro as possible away from weaker players such as healers and mages. Since they can often take a lot of damage, they are usually heavily armored and have lots of health.

Threat - related to Aggro. This is what a character "gives off" to generate or draw monster aggro.

Total party kill (TPK) - “rocks fall everyone dies” or wipes - a situation in which every player character in a party dies. Factors include player inexperience, insufficient player characters, or encounters too difficult for the party's capabilities.

Speedrun - is a play-through or a recording thereof of a whole video game or a selected part of it (such as a single level) performed with the intention of completing it as fast as possible.

Weapons & Armor

Chain (mail) - maille is a type of armor consisting of small metal rings linked together in a pattern to form a mesh. It was generally in common military use between the 3rd century BC and the 14th century AD. A coat of this armor is often referred to as a hauberk and sometimes a byrnie.

Cuir bouilli - leather that has been treated so that it became tough and rigid as well as able to hold molded decoration. Cuir bouilli was used for cheap and light armor; although it was much less effective than plate armor, it could be reinforced against slashing blows by the addition of metal bands or strips, especially in helmets.

Falchion - A one-handed single-edged sword of European origin whose design is reminiscent of the Chinese dadao and the modern machete.

Gambeson - a quilt undercoat commonly worn under armor. Gambesons cover shoulders, thorax, abdomen, hips, groin, and thighs. They may be lengthened to cover the knees and maybe half- or full-sleeved. The skirt is split to facilitate mounted use.

Longsword - a type of European sword characterized as having a cruciform hilt with a grip for two-handed use a straight double-edged blade of around 85 to 110 cm and weighing approximately 1 to 1.5 kg.

Scale Armor- (or scale mail) is an early form of armor consisting of many individual small armor scales (plates) of various shapes attached to each other and backing of cloth or leather in overlapping rows. The material used to make the scales varies and included bronze iron steel rawhide leather cuir-bouilli seeds horn or pangolin scales.

Middle Ages Terms:

Bells: - most large communities have some way to keep time useful for travelers and tradesmen heading off to work. Usually, either the Town’s Hall or Healer’s Hall will ring a large bell. It's Midsummer, so the times below will change depending on the time of year and location-

First 2:30 a.m.
Second 3:40 a.m.
Third 7:00 a.m.
Forth 12:20 p.m.
Fifth 3:00 p.m.
Sixth 7:00 p.m.
Seventh 8:20 p.m.
Eighth 9:30 p.m.

Sellsword - historically is a soldier who hires out his services to the highest bidder. Most sellswords are professionals with some experience in fighting. They existed way back in antiquity, prominent in the 100 years war and Italian wars. Typically not as good as professional armies.

The Destrier - was the most expensive horse and were typically owned only by nobles and knights. Destriers were tall horses and were typically only used in battle. Trained to not only bite and kick on command but also to trample fallen enemies. Destriers were not common and, as a result, were highly sought after by knights.

The Palfrey - was used for riding traveling and hunting as well as for ceremonies. Riding a palfrey was much more comfortable and was the favorite riding animal of noblewomen.

The Courser – were fast horses and had good endurance. They were often used by messengers as well as by people who needed to move quickly. Many knights who did not have access to a destrier preferred to ride a courser into battle because it was fast strong and agile.

The Rouncey – often used as a pack animal or even on the farm. It could be trained for war or used as a riding horse and was commonly used by knights who could not afford any of the other horses. A knight would also provide Rouncey to his squires and other men at arms.

--0--

Authors Note: All new and other interesting glossary terms will be living here. New ones will be posted but then transferred here. So you don't have to read the whole thing every time. I will also be adding world entries here as Eleanor learns about them as well. Thanks for reading!

Update 1/1/20

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good index

Sara Hawke's picture

You could change the weight of this and it would move to the first page.

Really liking this story and the style you have. If you were a wicked fast writing fiend I would read a new chapter every day!

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Contemplation, yet duty
Death, yet the Force.
Light with dark, I remain Balanced.

Appendicitis

Sadarsa's picture

You know... when i first saw this i thought it was a full story. I misread the title as Appendicitis. At first i thought "That's a strange title", but then i realized that having Appendicitis in an age of low science and high magic could potentially be very bad. So i opened it up ready to settle into a story.... heh.

Yeah there was a small facepalm and a bit of embarrasment when i re-read that title.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Good

Nice Index can’t wait for volume 2,

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

That Quest Definition...

...looked worthy of Ambrose Bierce's Devil's Dictionary. Nice work.

Eric