The Lost Queen Vol 2 Ch1 Dum est spes uitae

Printer-friendly version

The Lost Queen

by:
Elsbeth

Suddenly transported to another world what will Eleanor need to do to survive and hopefully get home.

Queen

Chapter 1: Dum est spes uitae

We had been successful with our quest to find the missing adventurer party. Iona had been reunited with her sister. Her aunt and uncle had plenty to report to the guild. Me? I had no desire to spend any more time in this labyrinth.

All I wanted was a bath and to sleep in a real bed. Trust me. Dungeon delving lost quite a bit of its shine the first time I had to squat in the corner of some empty room to relieve myself. Thankfully, whatever magic that kept the air clean also disposed of our organic deposits. I'm not sure what the dungeon did with it, nor did I particularly care.

How did we do with the rest of our appointed tasks?

Leo and Karin both agreed that there was enough information to rank the dungeon’s first two levels. Unfortunately, this world did not have a safety net for adventurers like many older computer games. Players knew when they ventured into an unsafe area as creatures were color-coded based on their difficulty. For example, red for higher-level monsters, green for the same level, and white for an encounter below your level. So the need to scout this world’s dungeons was an important task given out by the guild.

As to the request from Captain Conrad, although the appearance of the basilisk could have been the cause, the increase in monster activity was to be expected with a living dungeon in the region.

Still, there was a lot to be done here, but any further requests would need to be made by either the guild or whoever they placed in charge. Right now, it would be impossible to convince me to do anything unless it had something to do with bathing.

Since Myra’s band had been running low on food, Leo thought it would be a good idea to feed everyone before we departed. While the new group happily finished off the rest of the basilisk stew, I jumped to the floor below to set up a few more surprises for our ratkin friends.

Since I was down there anyway, I also walked around the lake to find it truly empty. Strange, no monsters, nothing, but the bodies had definitely disappeared. Maybe the dungeon removed the dead to keep the water clean.

Now with everyone fed and watered and our wounded warrior in a litter carried by Leo and Amice, we began the long journey home.

“Are all A-ranked adventurers this…” Myra hesitated before finding the right word, “Cautious?”

At that moment, I had been tying a rope around my waist to get ready to jump to the other side of the stream. I still didn’t trust the bridge or the ledge above and wanted everyone to be attached to something before they crossed.

Karin interrupted my denial of being an A-ranked adventurer by replying flatly, “Only the living ones.”

I left three younger women cringing behind me as I leaped, safely landing on the other side of the trench. With the anchor rope set, Amice and Leo crossed next, carefully walking over the bridge. The rest of the party soon followed with Katilia being the last. I could tell she also felt uneasy as the scout gave the waterfall a nervous look before stepping on the bridge.

Thankfully we proceeded without incident.

“We encountered whatever killed Denis down that hallway.” Myra pointed towards the gem lit corridor.

“Room on the other side of the bronze doors?”

“Yes, Lady Eleanor.”

Karin turned towards her youngest niece and asked, “Did you mark it on the map Iona?”

“Yes, Auntie.”

After comparing the group’s maps, it came as no surprise that we missed quite a bit, although mostly hidden rooms and passageways. Myra’s party had been meticulous; the four of us, on the other hand, had been on a speedrun.

Reluctantly the group turned away with no requests to search for the dead. Everyone agreed, Warin’s welfare came first, especially with the knowledge that something lay in wait on the other side of the door. Another party would have to face the creature, but at least they would be forewarned.

Passing through the rest of the level using several hidden passageways, our party found itself standing in front of the door that would take us to the stairs.

“Why?” Myra asked, sounding heartbroken as the door opened with ease.

Leo looked at his wife before answering, “I think it’s because your band was not successful in passing through the bronze doors.”

Kaitlin groaned, “We needed to open the way to the third floor before the way to the first opened again.”

“Yes, that’s what we believe,” Leo agreed, “It’s something a few adventuring bands have run into in Ingsmouth, including our own.”

Another unexpected surprise greeted us upon entering the next room. Argus’s wrapped corpse had disappeared.

“The living labyrinth takes its due,” Karin whispered.

Most adventurer bands never returned with their dead. Gear and valuables would be either split amongst the party members or passed on to the families of the departed. So bones discarded weapons and armor were a common find in a typical dungeon.

In living labyrinths, dead adventurers eventually disappeared gear and all. Whole groups have vanished into their depths only for the missing party’s equipment to reappear in other parts of the dungeon. The bodies, however, were never recovered.

Warin’s healing had already brought a new sense of purpose to the group, increased further after he opened his eyes and spoke to Amice for a moment as we started to ascend the stairs. Now with the exit in sight, we almost had to tell Myra’s party to slow down. I could tell the three were waiting for something to stop us from exiting the dungeon. Thankfully, the half a dozen zombies I dealt with in the dining hall were the only monsters that barred our path.

“Careful!” Karin called out as we started to lift Warin through the hole in the ceiling of the cavern.

The two older C-ranked adventurers knew their business ordering the others around so everyone could make their way out of the dungeon safely.

Jumping up a rope, I levitated Warin past the unsteady rocks. With his fiancée and Leo keeping watch, I dropped back down. The remaining party members looked relieved. Everyone had a feeling that I needed to be the last one to leave the labyrinth.

Afterward, we headed up the hill towards the old campsite hidden under the overhanging rocks. It had been a long day for the four of us, and Myra’s party hadn’t slept in days.

After returning from warding the entrance, I found Leo and Amice waiting for me.

“My lady, will Gwefrydd carry a litter?“ Leo asked politely.

My three companions had, unfortunately, drifted back to the more formal way of speaking to me. Still a good question, probably, I think.

“I’ll have to summon him and see.”

Amice looked surprised, “Summon, Lady Eleanor?”

Karin joined us and answered, “Gwefrydd is her spirit mount.”

“Oh,” the young healer whispered.

Before we could continue the conversation, angry shouts and squeals of laughter came from further inside the cave. We found Myra and Katilia drenched with what I could only assume to be water and a cackling Iona trying to hide behind a rock.

“Lady Eleanor, look! “ my student called out as she gleefully conjured water. I was amused to note that both her sister and Katilia backed away as soon as Iona started the incantation.

“Excellent.”

Now I needed to look through my grimoire and find something else for her to study. Unfortunately, I had little time to look over my lower level spells. Why was Iona literally vibrating in place? Oh, right, my promise.

“Looks like you will get to hear the story too, Amice.” Leo chuckled at his niece's antics.

Ignoring the light laughter coming from Karin, I sighed, “After dinner.”

My soon to be apprentice’s excitement at the upcoming story had the side effect of further lifting the dark cloud that had hovered around Myra’s party. I thought it was a good thing, but it still left me in a bit of a quandary. How do I explain an in-game quest ignoring the fact that it bore an eerie resemblance to Princess Freia's tale?

For additional payment, I put Iona to work, helping me make dinner. The basilisk stew was gone, and I didn’t want to plunder the rest of my inventory, so we decided upon roasted gura.

“Do you…cook at…home my lady.“ Katilia’s eyes opened wide as she tasted the well-seasoned pork.

“Oh no, I’m not allowed in the kitchen,” I laughed.

Well, I am permitted to get snacks, make a sandwich, and the like. But to actually cook a meal? No. We will also not discuss the exploding egg incident. Other than I learned, it’s a pain in the ass to get eggs off the kitchen ceiling.

“Did your cousin teach you?”

“In a way, Iona, when I started adventuring, Contessa wasn’t interested in eating trail food. And since a tavern wasn’t always available, we needed to learn how to cook.”

Actually, she said no Princess would put up with vendor food. Although I learned the skill for the status buffs, I couldn’t disagree. The food you bought from the merchants in Magic-Life wasn’t very good.

“So you cooked for everyone in your band, my lady?” Myra asked. She, too, seemed to be enjoying the roasted gura.

“No, we were supposed to take turns.“ I sort of grumbled, “But I seemed always to be skipped.”

Even with our rotating schedule, my companions wouldn’t allow their Princess to cook. Jerks every one of them.

“Eventually, I managed to convince one of my healers to be in charge of our meals during the times we managed to all be together. I learned most of my recipes from her.”

In real-life, Agatha or Sandy was a culinary student. She also had the highest cooking skill in Magic-Life and worked with the developers on many of the recipes.

So what to do about my story? I decided to wing it.

“It began when my band and I were celebrating the defeat of the Green Hag, a fearsome creature whose very presence brought pestilence in the lands of Mercia.”

In Magic-Life, the monster was the final boss of the Kinkenadon dungeon. My guild spent a week running through it repeatedly before they finally fixed all of the bugs. It was a lousy design, poorly balanced, and the whole area around the dungeon was glitchy as hell, hence the pestilence.

“While sitting around a campfire, I drew Marwolaeth for the first time. As soon as it cleared the scabbard, a ghostly warrior appeared in front of me, introducing himself as Sir Artegall of Tremonton. He spoke of how he had been slain by a tyrant calling himself the Black Knight, who had besieged his family’s ancestral home in the hills of Brigliadore. Marwolaeth was his family’s blade.”

“Marwolaeth?” Amice asked.

Suddenly my spear vanished as my sword appeared on my lap startling those who had not seen me summon my weapons before.

Kathy was sure that the developers had gifted me the unique sword as a special thanks for the many late nights I spent working with them, trying to fix the issues with the dungeon. Although other Eldritch Knights received similar mount quests, none of them were tied to a sword called Marwolaeth.

“Lady Eleanor, how did your blade end up in Hag’s possession?” questioned Leo.

Running my hand over the scabbard, I shrugged, “I’m not sure. One of her lieutenants wielded it. Perhaps she was allied with the Black Knight.”

“Do all your weapons have names, my lady?” Iona asked, “I remembered you called your spear by one too.”

“Rhew and no, not all of my weapons have names.” With no more questions coming, I continued, “The knight begged me to rescue those held captive by the Black Knight and free his lands. So my companions and I headed off towards the hills of Brigliadore.”

Of course, my friends knew this was supposed to be a solo-quest. However, I had to travel a bit to get there, so they escorted me. I glossed over most of the journey. By then, we all had riding mounts, so we rode around most of the encounters.

“Everyone vanished?” Iona gasped.

I had been in the middle of explaining that we had come across a strange stone archway as we traveled down a long road. On the other side lay Sir Artegall’s ancestral lands. Dismounting, I passed under the arch, only to find that I had left my companions behind.

“No, I could still see them. But I was told only someone wielding Marwolaeth could pass under the archway. At that moment, Sir Artegall reappeared, ready to escort me to his castle.”

“Oh, like Princess Freia,” Iona clapped her hands together.

Not really, but I wasn’t going to argue with her.

“Who’s Princess Freia?” puzzled Amice.

“Oh, the Emperor’s grandmother,” Iona explained.

Katilia frowned, “I’m confused.”

“It’s another story. I’ll let Karin tell it,” I gave Iona’s aunt a smile, which caused her to chuckle.

“Yes, my lady.”

“Were you trapped, Lady Eleanora?” worried Amice.

Ah, considering what the group just went through, I wasn’t surprised at the question. I knew my friends lay on the other side of the Instance, and if I wanted to, I could have quit the quest at any time.

“I don’t think so. If I relinquished Marwolaeth, then I believe I could have returned to my companions.”

Iona protested, “But Sir Artegall’s family and retainers were being held captive.”

“True, so I continued.”

Everything around me lay dead or dying. The very ground seemed cursed, which confirmed to my listeners that the Green Hag had been an ally. Traveling through a diseased forest, I told of my encounters with a monstrous wolf, a guardian stone golem, and a giant horned snake. Upon exiting, the ruined remains of the home of Sir Artegall lay off in the distance.

Iona sniffed, “Oh, but there was no one to rescue.”

“There was, but it’s not what you think,” I explained.

Although it had been difficult so far, the quest was supposed to be a solo quest. Clearing out the bailey of a few skeletons took no time at all. My ghostly companion then told me I needed to enter the castle’s three towers and face their guardians before I could approach the Black Knight in the Great Hall.

After defeating the banshee and her wraith attendants in the eastern tower, the ghostly form of Sir Artegall's wife appeared next to her husband. At the top of the western tower, I faced a zombie ogre whose destruction released the shade of the castle’s chamberlain.

Inside the final tower, after fighting my way through a handful of lesser wights, I faced a barrow-wight. With its defeat, the ghost of Sir Artegall’s brother joined my spirit host.

“So with my ghostly companions supporting me, I entered the Great Hall to find a shadowknight, a corrupted spirit whose very presence was poisoning the land. He was mounted upon a steed made of shadows and charged as soon as I stepped into the hall.”

“And then what!” Iona exulted.

“Why I fought the foul creature with fire and steel.”

The hall did not give my foe a lot of maneuvering room, and I quickly dismounted him. In the end, we faced each other in the center of the hall.

Ok by now, I had gotten a little more involved than I intended with my storytelling, and although I wasn’t a bard, I think everyone was enjoying the tale.

“And with a final stroke, the shadowknight disappeared, its screams echoing through the hall.”

My audience was sitting forward as I explained that my ghostly companions started to fade but not before thanking me. Leaving the Great Hall, I found Sir Artegall mounted upon a familiar looking horse.

I tried to remember his last words.

“Brave Knight, thanks to you, I can finally rest in peace. Please continue to wield my family’s sword. I am content to know that I leave it in the hands of such a fearsome warrior.”

Dismounting, he handed me the horse’s reins. “And the spirits of these lands, who now sing with joy, wish to offer you a companion. Like my household, he had been shackled to the Black Knight and now wishes to offer you his service.”

He thanked me once again and vanished.

“And then?” Iona squealed.

“I mounted my horse, who I named Gwefrydd, and rejoined my companions.”

--0--

In the early morning hours, a troop of horsemen followed by an elegant coach traveled through the streets of Harmond. One of its occupants Baroness Sabena of House Donha, pushed aside the curtains and smiled, “It’s good to be home, Marsilia.”

“It is mother, although I am still surprised that you wanted to depart so early. And please don’t keep insisting that it’s because you don’t like parties. I am old enough to remember the Festivities of Solas you and father used to host.”

The older woman chuckled. “Yes, well, we were much younger then.”

“Mother.”

She waved her hand, dismissively, “Your right, of course. Just some unfortunate politics I have no desire to get involved with. Your cousin Geoffrey will keep us informed. He and his wife have always enjoyed the capital’s parties.”

“Well, I’m proud of how Byron acted this past week.” She looked down at the young boy whose head lay on her lap. “I know his father would be as well.”

“Sarian willing, you will be seeing him soon enough.”

Marsilia smiled; her husband, Sir Thomas Branmark, was a member of the diplomatic entourage sent to Peturia to be part of the ongoing trade negotiations with the Eagle Empire.

“It was also nice of you to chaperone Princess Adela and her betrothed. She and Prince Ethelred appeared to be well matched.”

“I think the word you’re looking for is besotted.”

Marsilia grinned, aware of the rumors. “Although I’m surprised Archmage Phexidis wasn’t there since she is his apprentice until after the wedding at least. In fact, I don’t remember seeing him at all.”

“I was informed by the Queen Mother that he had been summoned to the Shrine of Hashan on Dragon Tor. She didn’t know or wouldn’t say why.”

“That sounds rather ominous.”

The Baroness shrugged, “Perhaps, but his Majesty didn’t think it important enough to mention it to his nobles, nor did Princess Adela seem too concerned.”

When the noise outside the carriage suddenly changed, Marsilia knew they were approaching Donha Castle.

Turning to the young woman who sat quietly across from her, she said, “Catherine, please take Byron upstairs and put him to bed. He hasn’t slept well on the road. A little extra sleep will be good for him.”

“Yes, Lady Marsilia.”

Stepping out of the carriage, the group ignored the controlled chaos around them as the Baroness greeted her scheneshal or steward of her estate. “Good morning Sir Odo how fare you this morning?”

The older man bowed deeply at the waist. His silver shoulder-length hair revealed his age, but his bearing still screamed warrior. “Excellent, my lady. How was your trip?”

“Pleasant enough, oh, and please convey my thanks to Master Theodore for his recommendation in hiring the Captain of the Sylith.”

Matching his lady’s stride, the two entered the estate’s great hall, followed by men-at-arms maids and other retainers.

As he watched the twenty or so men and women move around him busy with their assigned tasks, he replied, “I will. Although truthfully, my lady, I was a bit concerned considering Captain Henry’s reputation.”

The Baroness gave a small chuckle. “Well, I’m sure he earned it. He has the eyes of a rascal, but he was the perfect gentleman. Oh, and Byron has told everyone he wants to be a sailor when he grows up.”

“A sailor,” Odo replied in amusement.

“Yes,” she grinned. “He spent most of his time on deck learning the trade from the crew. Of course, Marsilia doesn’t approve.”

“Mother,” she sighed, but there was a hint of a smile in her voice. “I am going to follow Catherine. I will meet you in the study.”

“That’s fine, daughter.”

Looking up, Baroness Sabena gave her scheneshal a nod then continued through the estate with a smaller group trailing behind her.

The study with its hardwood walls lined with books and filled with trophies of her husband’s time as a soldier along with a painting of him astride his old warhorse was different from what one would expect of a gentlewoman’s study. For the Baroness, she gained strength from this room, almost feeling his presence. She wouldn’t change it for the world.

Stationed behind a beautiful black pine desk, Baroness Sabena sorted through the pile of documents. In front of her, sitting in high backed chairs were her daughter and heir and her scheneshal.

Waiting for a servant to leave after setting down a silver tray along with a pitcher of refreshments, Odo reached into a leather satchel and added another two documents to the ever-growing pile.

The Baroness gave him a look before returning to her reading.

“Excuse me for my tardiness, my lady.” A young man in a blue arming coat bowed at the waist upon entering the room.

“Its perfectly fine, Sir Eric take a seat. I assume your lovely wife and child are doing well?” Sabena smiled, setting several papers to the side to sign later.

Taking a seat, he replied, “Yes, my lady. She sends her regards and a thank you for the beautiful blanket.”

“I look forward to seeing her and the new baby.“ The Baroness then picked up two documents, and her smile disappeared. “An interesting report from Captain Conrad in Wyndemere, wouldn’t you say, Sir Odo? So this Lady Eleanor of House Reine suddenly appeared on the Albanese Way by way of the Godstones?”

The other two people in the room looked shocked as her seneschal reached over and passed the report to the knight before acknowledging his Baroness. “Yes, my lady, although there is no way to confirm her story.”

“I’ve never heard of such a thing before.” Sir Eric looked up from the report, surprised.

“Neither had I,” Odo confirmed. “I sent a missive to Countess Orebella for her thoughts on the matter.”

“Then we will wait to see what she has to say. Now then Captain Conrad has also confirmed that her armor is silvered steel,” Sabena frowned. “So we have a foreign noble who happens to be an A-ranked adventurer wandering around inside my borders. Who also seems to have effortlessly ingratiated herself with one of my loyal captains.”

“What country?” questioned Lady Marsilia.

“Avalon,” Sir Eric answered before passing her the report. “Unless it’s a city, it doesn’t say either way.”

“Not a city or a country I am familiar with, “ Odo remarked. “ Although from her coloring, Captain Colin suggests Lady Eleanor’s lands might be as far north as Karlspang.”

“Long way frome home,” Lady Marsilia murmured then shook her head. “I can understand why he sought her assistance in determining the cause of increased monster activity but to place an unknown noblewoman in charge?”

“I know the captain well, my lady, and trust his judgment,” Sir Eric reassured, “Perhaps it’s because someone of her station might not be willing to follow the lead of the others in the band. Or that she would have more experience in determining the threat of this unknown labyrinth.”

“I agree with Sir Eric, “ Odo concurred.

“The other two, what do you know of them?” The Baroness asked.

Her scheneshal nodded, “They are former C-ranked adventurers that currently run a guild sanctioned school here in the city. Along with their youngest niece, they approached Lady Eleanor in the hope she would help them find a missing adventuring band led by another niece, a Myra of Harmon.”

The Baroness gave a thoughtful look as she studied the second document before passing it to her daughter, “What do you think of this livery badge?”

Taking the other piece of parchment, Marsilia studied the drawing of a dragon eating its tail with a sunburst in the center.

“It's not on our kingdom’s register, obviously.“ Biting her lip, she added, “Its interesting a warrior family who values glory but also the sanctity of life.”

Sir Eric looked at the document than said, “I have not seen such a device before my lady, but I will ask around.”

“Thank you, “ Baroness Sabena tapped her lip with her finger. “ Increased monster activity on the Albanese Way is very troubling, especially this time of year. Sir Eric, I would like you to support Captain Conrad. Send whatever additional troops he might need. Odo?”

“Yes, my lady.”

“I would like to speak to Guildmaster Stephen today. For him not to have reported any of this is unacceptable.”

--0—

Glossary –

Instance- is an environment where the structure is the same for all parties who enter you will never encounter another party while yours is playing through the area, and thus it is a specific instance of this area or mission. Instances usually have much better rewards than the normal overworld map in an MMORPG.

MOB difficulty – a quest or mob's difficulty color is sometimes referred to as its "con.” This is a holdover from text-based games where the standard command to determine difficulty was /con or /consider. Many games have simplified the process by displaying the appropriate color on a hostile mob's portrait's level number when you target it.

Speedrun - is a play-through or a recording thereof of a whole video game or a selected part of it (such as a single level) performed with the intention of completing it as fast as possible.

up
287 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Off to the next challenge

Very nice wrap up for the first volume and lays preliminary basics for the next adventure. Thoroughly enjoyable story line. Looking forward to the next chapter.

Next challenge

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you, I'm happy your enjoying the story. Eleanor's going to be err busy :)

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Next challenge

WillowD's picture

I'm kind of suspecting that the next challenge is going to be dealing with a pissed off Barroness who didn't bother to properly read the reports.

Someone mentioned that Eleanor would probably prefer to kill another dragon than deal with the nobility. That's probably true but I kind of suspect she's going to do OK with the nobility. Eleanor is a very easy person to get along with and good at soothing ruffled feathers.

Dare I even wonder when the next chapter will come out? Real life takes precedence and this is generally a particularly busy or not busy time for most people. Thank you for all of these stories Eleanor and I look forward to the next chapter, whenever it comes out.

YAY! Another chapter as promised.

Monique S's picture

Seems like the mentioned havoc is more mental than physical - for the time being.

Evidently Eleanor [is that a reference to Richard's (the lion heart) mother?] is much more porwerful than any adventurer known in this world and at least as capable as an arch mage. So what does the "lost" refer to? Was she lost from this world? Or has she lost her way? Can't wait to find out.

Phantastic story, Elsbeth.
Monique.

Monique S

I suspect

I suspect she's going to be somehow someway placed into a lost granddaughter of queen Frea or maybe even one of the neighboring kindoms. Either way we can expect all the single princes and higher nobility to start a line for our Eleanor's hand :).

Power level

I don’t think she is the most powerful in any one category. I think she is at best second or third best in the skills she does have. But she has more of them though which makes her seem more powerful, but only in the general sense but not in the absolute sense imho.

Skills

WillowD's picture

Her best skills in game had nothing to do with her avatar. They were her skills as a player. Her ability to lead and inspire people. Her ability to lead raids. And her ability to effectively use her avatars skills. If you take the best fighting avatars (characters) in a game and turn them over to a mediocre player you will only get mediocre fighting ability.

It is a combination of being a phenomenally good top level player who has the skills of what is probably one of the deadliest fighting avatars possible that makes Lady Eleanor such a deadly adventurer.

Sure

I made mention of her leadership skills before. I only addressed what I thought was Monique’s minor misunderstanding of how powerful an individual skill she might have compared to a specialist of that skill.

The synergy of an able mind with a capable skill set is a very potent combination as you say.

Can't argue that...

Sadarsa's picture

Cant argue that... In MMO's you see it all the time. Character level in the end game means little, it's all about how the player uses those skills to their maximum efficiency. But even that is scratching the surface when it comes to a *good* raid leader. I've been playing MMO's since 1998 and i gotta say, i've only come across a handfull of good raid leaders. Anyone can form a group and bumble their way through raid... and even succeed. But it's the truly skillful that are not only effective and professional at the task, but go beyond that and be inspirational to those they lead.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

more more more

please please!!!!

Wow

Another great chapter! Our lady managed to make the ghost horse story entertaining, something tells me she didn't go into detail as far as injuries and difficulties she faced; or how she surmounted them. Just encouraged the new generation so to speak, ah but it was a great story.

Not surprised the greeting she's getting from the nobles, then again they haven't met her yet so I guess we can expect abit of maneuvering in the court. Something tells me a conversation or two with them will launch poor Eleanor into court politics for-with!

This chapter filled in a lot of the back story that we have all speculated on, specially on her sword; did enjoy that a whole lot!

Can't wait for the next installment!

Oh dear

Eleanor is not going to like the incredible scrutiny she will get from the local bravos and likely the rest of the populace until Eleanor moves on. Any idea of her denying she is A ranked at this point is dashed to say the least.

It’s sad to see those young ladies still have not quite understood the lessons of being methodical vs being impulsive. Karin really put them down nicely. If they want to become old adventurers, regardless of rank, it is best to be cautious.

Still, I don’t think there is much they can do to stop her from moving on. Any non-A rank opposition would be so outclassed it is not funny.

Yay

Another chapter unfortunately none of her companions were with the baroness.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Clueless

Eleanor's most important problem is that while she has goals -- figure out why she was brought here and how to get home -- she has no clue how to do either of these things, nor does she even have a clue about how to get a clue. This is not her fault; she just has a vast absence of any information, and none of the people she has met, or that we have heard of, would have any idea how to answer those questions if they were asked.

So, since she can't progress on her primary goals unless she somehow gets lucky and gets a visit from the clue fairy, she will have to establish some secondary goals. So far, she has just been drifting. It has been very enjoyable to read, and Eleanor has been finding out about herself, but soon she will have to decide what she will do during her days, if not anything else.

What she will wind up doing, I have no idea, but I am sure we will be told.

Clue-by-four

Divination - the practice of seeking knowledge of the future or the unknown by supernatural means.

Divination would be my first thought on how to start getting information. Its pretty much a staple in many fantasy games and stories. No matter how good or inept Minerva was, her character casting a spell in a game would not result in Shawn shifting worlds and becoming Eleanor for real. So she was diverted by being or beings unknown. Petitioning a goddess, possibly through the Countess that Leo and Amice know, for more information may be a good place to start.

Not a gaming affectionado but

BarbieLee's picture

I'm loving the tale as Elsbeth is a Master Word Smith spinning dialog and setting in such proportions the story is as if we are there with the adventurers.
On another note. I believe Lady Eleanor is way above an A ranked adventurer. Remember the title to this series? She's certainly not a caravan guard. The funniest line in this chapter. “So we have a foreign noble who happens to be an A-ranked adventurer wandering around inside my borders. Who also seems to have effortless ingratiated herself with one of my loyal captains.”
Easy to underestimate Lay Eleanor thinking she is no more than an A ranked adventurer who has bewitched everyone who has met her. Provided one hasn't met her themselves.
Elsbeth has scattered so many cookies through out the chapters if one cares to take notice, Lady Eleanor is way above what has been openly disclosed so far. Yet look deeply into each chapter for the nuggets Elsbeth has scattered behind. The Lady is a Force of Nature!
always
Barb
Life is to be lived. Not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Fireballs

A question about something in the previous chapter.

When Eleanor threw her two fireball spells, she just threw them, and they detonated, more or less how one would expect. She aimed, threw, and the spell blew up. Myra and her party saw something very different. They thought that Eleanor was controlling the spell somehow. If she was, she wasn't doing so consciously. So what exactly was happening with Eleanor's fireball spell here?

We never did learn about this

WillowD's picture

It's my suspicion that Eleanor's fireballs contain sentient fire elementals that were just tidying up the place before going back home.

Guildmaster Stephen

WillowD's picture

I gather that Guildmaster Stephen is the head of the adventurer's guild. I would have hoped that Captain Conrad's report would make it clear that Lady Eleanor had appeared out of nowhere, that she is NOT ranked by the adventurer's guild yet and that there was no way at this point that Guildmaster Stephen would not have received any information to pass on. I can understand that the Captain's report would report that Eleanor is of the nobility because nobody believed Eleanor's claims to be a commoner.

From the way the Barroness is talking it sounds like Eleanor is already considered a rank A adventurer. And, of course, if Eleanor is ranked then, of course the Guildmaster should have known something. It sounds to me like the Captain's report either does not contain as much information as it should have or (more likely in my opinion) the Baroness ignored parts of the report.

10 meter conclusion jump

I've the feeling that Baroness Sabena is jumping to conclusions. (side note: I've only heard Sabena as a mispronunciation of Sabrina, and I have a hard time not fixing it.)

Lady Eleanor is wearing silvered steel. Therefor Lady Eleanor is an A ranked adventurer. Therefor the Guildmaster should've known about her.
There is a living labyrinth in her lands. That is the Adventurers Guild business. Therefor the Guildmaster should have known about it and told her.
That these are the first reports of both doesn't seem to be hitting her. Its possible Karin and Leo said something to the Guildmaster when they left for Wyndemere. We know the Captain first heard about it when he and Iona were talking to Eleanor and he included it in his next report. All of this happened while she was away for the wedding. She hears about it almost immediately upon her returning, but wants to know why she didn't know sooner?

Yup. That's exactly how I read it.

WillowD's picture

There have been way too many times in my life when I've had a variety of bosses read a report, form an opinion based on a couple of sentences in the report, and then become firmly convinced that you reported to them as fact the idiotic things they deduced, no matter how much contrary evidence there is and how frequently you point it out to them.

And there has been more than one time when I've had my manager scream at me that I should have updated them with information sooner when I had only just learned about the information myself and they had been informed that I had just learned it.

Incidentally, at this point I don't think anyone but Eleanor's group knows about the living labyrinth yet.

Reporting

I suspect The Baroness expected Stephen to be briefed on the situation of Myra’s adventuring party. If she is at all fair, she would realize the Guildmaster, who is in Harmon would not have gotten word in time to do anything about Eleanor’s arrival.

Princess Freia's tale

WillowD's picture

I remember wondering earlier about the eerie resemblance between Eleanor's quest and Princess Freia's tale but forgot to comment on it. And after reading this chapter it is obvious that the two stories are in fact, essentially identical barring the name of the main character.

I am seriously thinking that Princess Freia's tale is, in fact, the story of the actual quest that Lady Eleanor went on. In other words, is Magic Life, the game that Shawn was playing, actually based on this world as it was a few generations ago?

Looking familiar

I've wondered about the resemblance as well. The similarity of stories and systems, like the magic, is a bit much to be coincidence. The geography being different was kinda weird at first, but made more sense when I thought about it.

Eleanor's arrival would have been more problematic if the geography and people were the same. Harder to tell it was real, rather than a graphics update in the game, and the people would look at her like she was crazy, not a lost noble.

"Captain Conrad, it is good to see you again."
"Who are you? I've never seen you before in my life."

I think the Devs were inspired by someone(s), who were using the game to look for a good candidate. They had a list of traits they were looking for and got lucky with Eleanor.

Appearances can be decieving

“Do you…cook at…home my lady.“ Katilia’s eyes opened wide as she tasted the well-seasoned pork.
“Oh no, I’m not allowed in the kitchen,” I laughed.

“So you cooked for everyone in your band, my lady?” Myra asked. She, too, seemed to be enjoying the roasted gura.
“No, we were supposed to take turns.“ I sort of grumbled, “But I seemed always to be skipped.”

It might be true, but this is not helping you look less like a noble. :-P

Skipped

WillowD's picture

"Even with our rotating schedule, my companions wouldn’t allow their Princess to cook. Jerks every one of them."

Yup, it doesn't help her look less like a noble.

Marwolaeth

Another comment based on the preceding chapter.

We have not seen Marwolaeth's magical abilities in combat yet. The fact that it inflicts a damage over time debuff (necrosis) has so far been completely irrelevant because when Eleanor has used it, her enemy has died more or less instantly. Marwolaeth was clearly designed for tougher fights than Eleanor has faced here yet.

It is a pity that her spear is not named Threthi, but I guess the combination Marwolaeth a Threthi would be too certain to be allowed in a game. 🙂

I agree about Marwolaeth

I agree about Marwolaeth being way over level for the fights she's been in. But rereading the paragraph, it sounds like it's straight up bonus damage, with a much higher amount of damage on crit. It's the revenant's axe that has the necrotic dot (Damage Over Time).

The necrotic damage is likely why she swapped to the spear. That damage type typically heals undead in games. So Eleanor would have been beating them healthy. Not really the outcome she wanted.

Heals undead

To a certain extent. The healing would be useful for stab and slashing wounds but not for complete physical separation as there is no healing over time. The wight that was cut in half by Marwolaeth will not get enough benefit to recover. The Barrow Wight needed Rhew as I believe the Barrow Wight’s outer shell is spell resistant. Physical puncturing allowed the direct casting of the immolation spell.

The Barrow Wight

Elsbeth's picture

Correct, using her sword would have worked but she needed to end it right then. And Barrow Wights have a high magic resistance, something that worked against Myra's party.

Marwolaeth is fine against lesser undead, she just does too much damage but greater, she has to switch to other weapons. Rhew is one of course.

And correct Marwolaeth does additional necrotic damage then burst damage on a critical strike in game. (which is flashy, something we haven't seen yet )

Kinda silly to heal the thing your trying to kill. However, it's a good blade against the living.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Marwolaeth alternatives

So, I must wonder what her new sword acquisition’s alignment is then. I am guessing it will glow with holy purifying might of swords that paladins are known for. Oh, I don’t expect an answer, it is of course fun to speculate. ^_^

Threthi

Elsbeth's picture

Sigh, yes you get a cookie :)

Thanks for reading :)

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Cookies!!!

WillowD's picture

Yay! If I say something brilliant can I get a cookie too?

"Something brilliant!"

See, I can say it. (Willow loves cookies.)

Got my cookies!

WillowD's picture

My awesome house mate bought cookies for the house for Christmas day.. And mint chocolate wafers too. I guess I will find out how good the cookies are once I've finished the wafers.

Merry Christmas every one.

Thank you for the cookie.

I love cookies. I can't resist them, even though I should

Confusion about reports

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I think what Sabena is asking, and others are thinking she's asking about more information on Eleanor is, why she hadn't received reports of increased monster activity. However, until Eleanor told the captain about the scorpions, I'm not sure that there was any forewarning.

Increased monster activity

WillowD's picture

From chapter 3, when Lady Eleanor first meets Iona and Captain Colin:

“We are concerned with the forest skitters and some other reports that have come in recently,” commented the captain.

It sounds like the greeting party was unusual, “You think that the landslide stirred up something?”

Three forest skitters showing up at once is totally unheard of. Prior to then the region typically saw one or two per season and not together. So this is the first report they got that was truly alarming. They appear to have only learned of the landslide from Iona a few days earlier. Prior to these two reports, they had noticed increased monster activity but probably not enough to be alarming at that point. The Baroness, or at least the Baroness' staff, had probably been informed of the increased monster activity in regular status reports but didn't consider it important enough to require special attention.

Any Chance...

...of helping us out with the Latin title? Google says "While the hope of life", but I'm not seeing the meaning or significance.

Eric

My interpretation was "while

My interpretation was "while there is life there is hope."

"While I breathe, I hope"

Elsbeth's picture

Correct or also Dum spiro spero means "While I breathe, I hope" which is said by Cicero.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

OMG!!!

I'm so obsessed with this story it's not even funny. I love these types of stories. Anything dealing with fantasy themes or medieval themes are an instant hit with me. I especially love when the main character is so mysterious and breathtakingly moving.

Squee!

Thank You

Elsbeth's picture

Thank You, I'm happy your enjoying the story. I love the fantasy themes or medieval themes as well. :)

Thanks again for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Btw

By the way, I'm still a little heart broken about Beyond the Pale. I loved that story too and have yet to fully let go of it. Hopefully AFTER you finish this story you can finish that one up too!

Politics are a comin’

I can smell it. Like it or not, she is a noble and a potent rank A adventurer and she will likely encounter folks who will want to use her for their own political ends.

I suspect Eleanor would rather face a dragon again than have to deal with politics.

Oh, and she better have a backstory planned out when she meets the local nobility as I mentioned previously.

What is different

In the last few months I have read a lot of GameLit books. This story has one very significant difference from all of them. In every single one that I have read, the protagonist starts out as a low level character. In this book, she starts out at a very high level. (And yes, the other characters in the story might not have levels. She does!) We have not seen Eleanor struggling to survive; instead we have seen her struggling to make sense of her situation and the world around her.

The story would be excellent even without this difference, but this difference has added a pleasant sense of novelty to the plot. (And I am really surprised that no one else has done this.)

High level

The idea here is somewhat like sudden age progression stories when one is suddenly swapped or aged into an adult body. Now while you are trained in school to be an adult, suddenly being thrust into hard reality of expectations for say a senior Army commander would be difficult even if you are a genius who happens to have a knack for that.

Summoned

WillowD's picture

How in the world did we all miss this? This is about my third reading of this chapter and I only noticed this now.

“I was informed by the Queen Mother that he (Archmage Phexidis) had been summoned to the Shrine of Hashan on Dragon Tor. She didn’t know or wouldn’t say why.”

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Eleanor's summoning to this world is related to this summoning. Perhaps Archmage Phexidis went to the shrine to summon Eleanor? Or perhaps both were summoned to deal with the same problem.

Feel free to chime in with your two dollars worth. (Two cents doesn't go far these days.)

Summoned

My5InchFMHeels's picture

I think THAT 'summoned' is more in the context of "Your presence is requested, whether you like it or not."