The Lost Queen Vol 2 Ch6 Hints, Lies, Rumors, and Legends

Printer-friendly version

The Lost Queen

by:
Elsbeth

Suddenly transported to another world what will Eleanor need to do to survive and hopefully get home.

Queen

Chapter 6: Hints, Lies, Rumors, and Legends

Archmage Phexidis stepped around part of the collapsed ceiling before entering the great library inside the Shrine of Hashan on top of Dragon Tor.

"I was wondering if I would still find you here, my dear."

Countess Orebella, surrounded by great tomes, looked up from her reading. Slipping her glasses on her head, she smiled at her old friend. "So, you're ready to leave?"

"I am, are you sure you will not come with us?" the older man straightened his robes before sitting on a section of rubble.

"Once things settle here, I will send word to you."

"If they settle," Phexidis said doubtfully.

While looking around the library, it was not hard for him to notice part of the walls had collapsed; another section of the ceiling was missing, and many books that were once shelved now lay in large stacks around the chamber.

"So still nothing?"

Orebella sat back and closed the book. "Hints, lies, rumors, legends, fanciful tales, nothing more, even after all these centuries we know very little about the Godstones. We don’t even know who built them or how they work exactly."

Phexidis nodded, looking around at the ancient architecture made by those same unknown people. "And you still think it's all connected?"

The priestess sighed and then made an unhappy face. "I believe so. However, if possible, can you please verify that other shrines experienced similar magical disturbances? All we know was that the ones in Harmon and Volis were not damaged. In fact, except for everyone complaining about headaches, I doubt we would be this concerned.

"But then again, there isn’t a Godstone sitting in the middle of those two shrines."

"Very true. We were lucky with all of the damage here that there were no fatalities." Orebella looked thoughtful. "I wonder if the Olicana Shrine experienced the same disturbance."

"Right, I'll just open a portal to Naxos' throne room and ask him." The Archmage rolled his eyes. "And if it's anything like here, I will have to walk back to Estassa. It's going to take me three days to get to Hidale as it is. I told Henry we wouldn’t be long. He isn’t going to be happy we both missed his brother's wedding."

Orebella shrugged, "I believe you will be forgiven considering the circumstances. Still, I would not be surprised if you needed to travel beyond Hidale before you can create a stable portal. One thing we can be thankful for was that healing spells appear to be unaffected."

"Have you found any reason for that?" queried Phexidis.

"Hints, lies, rumors, legends…"

"… and fanciful tales, nothing more," the Archmage grumbled. "I get it."

"Since the incident, the magic here, Phexidis, you can almost taste it, can't you?" praised Orebella. She cast a simple light spell that surprisingly illuminated the room like a miniature sun. Blinking away the spots from her eyes, she shook her head. "Truly, I feel closer to our goddess more than ever, so I don’t understand how you cannot be in awe."

"It's not that…." He looked puzzled for a moment, and then his eyes went wide. "Living labyrinths, that’s why you asked about the Emperor."

The priestess laughter filled the library. "You were so much quicker when we were children."

Reaching for another book, she opened it, flipped through several pages, and placed her glasses back on her face. Reading for a moment, she then passed it over before removing her glasses again.

"By the wonders of Hashan, this could be a boon, but." The Archmage looked thoughtful for a moment as he looked over the page then closed the book. "We must go to Ingsmouth."

"I'll leave that to you. You always enjoyed searching that place." Waving her hand as if she was shooing him away, she said, "I'm sure they will be relieved to see the Archmage of Estassa if what I believe has happened."

Phexidis nodded and then asked again, "Are you positive you won't be returning with me?"

"I believe my goddess wants me here." Orebella smiled happily then pointed to the stacks of books, scrolls and parchments. "I also want to study this further."

He looked around, concerned. "Are you sure?"

"Don’t worry, Phexidis, those who reside here will come to no further harm." She pronounced then placed her glasses back on her face once more. "Regis has my letters for the Queen Mother and to Initiate Merry in the Shrine at Volis; if you could be so kind as to deliver them when you find the time."

--0--

Sir Odo appeared to be quite sure that the Baroness wanted to meet with me, so I happily wandered around one of the courtyard gardens while we waited. Since it was such a relaxing place, I wasn’t surprised to find we also weren't alone.

The Baroness of Redwater, not that I had any clue who she was at the time, walked with me as we discussed the types of flowers found in the southern kingdoms. I professed my ignorance other than I knew roses were red, which she found amusing. My uncle did have an apple orchard, which she found fascinating. Before we realized we hadn’t actually introduced ourselves, a young voice called out.

"Aunt Amabel, who's that?"

We both turned to find a young boy standing, well looked more like hiding, behind a small fountain in the center of the courtyard.

"Why hello, Byron, this is," she looked at me surprised. "I don’t believe we gave each other our names."

"I'm Eleanor." I laughed and leaned over a little. "And you must be Byron."

"I am," he grinned, which faded a bit because his Aunt had given him a look.

"If I am not mistaken, aren’t you supposed to be in your lessons, dear?" the Baroness of Redwater asked with a little bit of steel in her voice.

Looking embarrassed, he scratched his head and then said, "I was told an adventurer was here, and I wanted to see her."

Ahh caught playing hooky; I decided to fess up too. "Well, I guess that would be me."

"Really?" Byron slipped out from behind the fountain and quickly approached.

"Really really."

"Truly, you don’t appear to be the type." Amabel looked at me surprised and then smiled. "Well, then you will have to explain how a young woman of your station decided upon such a dangerous profession."

Soon afterward, I ended up sitting in another section of the open courtyard, telling the story of my last adventure in Magic-Life. Somewhere between the fountain and the table, we picked up a few more stragglers. Byron's mother had been looking for her son, along with the child's governess.

Quickly introduced as Marsilia, the poor woman was dragged along by her son. Feeling bad for any trouble I might have caused, I had Rosalyn retrieve a few things that I had intended to give out as presents.

"Which ones are these Eleanor?" Marsilia asked, pointing to a colorful selection of candies on the table.

"Ahh, that one is I believe crystallized ginger or candied ginger." I pushed the box towards her away from small prying hands. We had slowly been sampling a collection of sweets from my inventory and a few items that I managed to make on the way to Harmon.

Young Byron, however, looked quite happy with a large chocolate-covered strawberry. "So, what happened next? Were you able to rescue Sir Smithers and his companions?"

We were about three-fourths of the way through the highly edited, kid-friendly story when Sir Odo appeared with two people I didn’t recognize.

"Oh Stewart, come join us you must try some of these magnificent confections Eleanor has brought from her country," the Baroness of Redwater called out as soon as who I assumed was her husband approached.

"Marsilia?" the other person, an older woman who looked a lot like Amabel, sounded perplexed.

"Hello, mother." She covered her mouth, being caught taking a bite of the crystallized ginger, then turned back to me with a smile. "Oh, Eleanor, this is quite lovely."

"I know, oh, Marsilia, you might like the lemons as well," I said, pointing to the yellow fruit next to the candied oranges.

"Hi Grandma," Byron chirped, deciding to chime in. "We're hearing a story want to listen?"

"Where are my manners? Eleanor, this is my husband Stewart and my sister Sebena," Amabel said between bites of a glazed strawberry. "Come sit, you two."

Now I am not in any way an expert on sibling relations, but from the exasperated look the Baroness of Harmon gave her sister the Baroness of Redwater, the two have probably butted heads a few times. Although I'm not positive, I am going to venture a guess that this time was for her less than formal introductions.

I smiled at the newcomers nodding my head in greeting. "Yes, please join us, as you can see I have plenty to share. Oh, and let me also introduce you to my apprentice Iona of Harmon."

She had been quiet since we sat down, nibbling nervously on a piece of candy mango. I think Iona tried to rise probably to give a proper bow or curtsey, but Byron and his mother's chair blocked her. "My Lord, My Lady."

The Baron appeared to be amused; the Baroness resigned, and poor Sir Odo just looked confused, but we eventually got everyone settled. Rosalyn, as expected, managed to at least give a proper greeting before pulling out another candy tray out of the arcane bag I provided her.

Finding a seat, the Baroness said, "So you're Iona of Harmon. Guildmaster Stephen had some good things to say about you."

"Me, my lady?" Iona looked shocked.

"But what about Sir Smithers and his companions?" Byron asked again with a bit of whine in his voice, obviously annoyed that the adults were still talking.

"Byron," his mother gently scolded him.

"Oh no, sorry for interrupting, dear." Sabena frowned then took a glazed strawberry from her sister. "Is this about your most recent adventure?"

I shook my head. "No, the one I was on right before I found myself in your Kingdom."

"I think I would like to hear that story too," the Baron of Redwater said after taking a seat next to his wife.

I didn’t exactly come to the rescue of Sir Smithers, but the questline they were on was totally broken. A little hard to do complete a quest when the monsters continued to respawn as this kept the players from gathering the items needed to advance.

We couldn’t even skip this one, beyond the fact we were beta-testers, everyone was required to complete all five parts for the world quest, so I had to speak with the developers to get it fixed.

"How many adventurers were there in total, Eleanor?" Baron Stewart asked as I finally came to the part where we gathered for the raid.

"In total, there were forty of us," I said, which was easy enough to remember, as it was a forty-man raid. "I had twenty-four companions, Sir Smithers brought along eight, and Arcane had five in her band."

"With you in overall command?" Baroness Sebena asked, looking thoughtful. Not sure what she was thinking, though.

Nodding, I answered in the affirmative.

"Is your band always that big?" Byron asked wide-eyed.

"Oh no, when we traveled to the Pale Hills, the only adventurers with me were Iona and her Uncle and Aunt."

"Oh!" he exclaimed and spun in his seat, looking at my apprentice with interest. "You’re an adventurer too?"

"Yes," her cheeks colored a little. "Although I have only been on three jobs."

"Egads," he grinned, eyes sparkling.

"I'm sorry I missed the first part of the story. Can you tell us again how you ended up leading these adventurers?" the Baron asked. "You said you were in the Kingdom of Mercia, correct? Did the crown entreat upon you for assistance?"

"The crown of Mercia?" I asked then shook my head. "Not directly, one of the chieftains or the lords in charge of the coastal villages in the wetlands approached Sir Grendel, one of my companions, and requested our aid."

I believe there was a High King named Penda. However, chieftains ruled the handful of towns and villages in Mercia, and they, in turn, swore allegiance to clan chiefs who seemed to be the ones actually in charge. Northumbria, another kingdom to the northeast, had a similar system of government. We as players however interacted with quest givers, whoever they might be, from a farmer in the fields to a king's scheneshal and, on occasion, the king himself.

"So this Sir Smithers and Arcane, their people were not your retainers?" the Baroness asked.

"My companions no, but they had helped us before in similar situations," I smiled slightly; many of them were also good friends in and out of the game.

After answering several more questions about the government in Mercia, I continued with my party traveling deeper into the wetlands. Movement there was often difficult at times, even if there were causeways; however, the Cold Swamp, our next destination, had no such luxuries. The Baron and Baroness seemed interested, asking a half a dozen logistic questions, but by then, we could also tell Byron was starting to get antsy.

At least the young boy seemed to enjoy the retelling of my encounters with the ice sprites and the horde of the Drowned, although I could see his mother didn’t quite approve. Well, not everyone likes zombies.

Finally, we reached the location of Eldrark's lair.

"We were surprised to find in the center of the Cold Swamp dry land, an island."

"Oh, and that's where the lizard lived?" Byron asked excitedly.

"Indeed."

"May I ask how large this creature was for it to threatened villages along the coast?" asked the Baron of RedWater.

How big was the world boss? Well, it was a dragon, so enormous, but I should skip using the D-word. Looking around the courtyard, I said, "The beast might be able to fit into this courtyard if it was so inclined."

"Sweet merciful, Dinya," Marsilia whispered.

I nodded, "It was a big wyrm."

Byron made a face "Why did you call it a worm?"

"Wyrm." I sounded it out for him. "Well, it's an old name for the creature as it only had two legs. It also preferred the water, so we were lucky to catch it on dry land."

"Ahh, so it was some sort of a sea serpent then." Sir Odo remarked. "I can see why it attacked those coastal villages."

I shouldn’t have been surprised that he had heard of them, although I expect the ones in this world don’t also have wings. I continued with my story up to the point where the forty of us confronted the world boss.

"A lair made of ice," Byron gasped.

His mother smiled. "She did say that the ground was covered in ice."

"The serpent was freezing the waters," Baroness Sabena noted.

"And the fishing fleets," I added.

In Magic-Life's end-game story, the elder dragon was a creature similar to Jörmungandr from Norse myth. If it won the world of Magika would eventually be covered in eternal winter

"It was a fearsome white beast with swords for teeth, claws like spears and scales offering protection like the best mail."

"And then what?" Byron asked, sitting at the edge of his seat.

I looked at Iona and gave her a wink. "We fought the beast with fire and steel."

--0—

Dreams of cold, unmoving, shadows in the darkness, so cold.

"Lady Eleanor?" some voice whispered through the fog.

So cold.

"Lady Eleanor?" the same voice repeated the call this time a little louder.

Unmoving.

"Your Majesty."

"Wha?" Sitting up in my chair, I groped around, trying to catch my reading material before it slid off my lap and onto the floor. Looking around, I found Rosalyn standing above me with a concerned look on her face.

"I'm sorry, my lady, I couldn’t wake you." She leaned down and picked up the remaining sheets that were out of my reach. "Guildmaster Stephen and the others have arrived."

Although I would have preferred the day to end, it wasn’t up to me. As much as I enjoyed retelling my tale to Byron as I drew closer to its conclusion, it reminded me of my situation, not that I needed reminding. It wasn’t as difficult though this time around, though, but someone I think, Baroness Sebena, must have seen it in my eyes.

We were shown to our rooms much to the disappointment of her grandson, who wanted to hear about our last adventure. Sir Odo also informed me that the Guildmaster had been notified of my arrival, which I confirmed that Leo and Karin were reporting to him as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Guildmaster Stephen didn't immediately hustle the two of them into a carriage and drag them off to castle with him.

My thoughts were still confused, but from the light in my room, I must have only nodded off for a few minutes. "I assume they would like to meet as soon as possible."

"Yes, my lady." Rosalyn still looked worried.

Smiling, I tried to reassure her. "I'm fine, just an odd dream." Not that I could remember it, but whatever, shaking my head, I stood up.

I only took a few steps before I realized something turning around. I asked, "Rosalyn, what did you call me?"

"My lady?" She quickly stepped back.

Did I see fear?

Sighing, I rubbed my eyes. Why were my thoughts so muddled?

"I'm not angry, just curious. It was the corolla, wasn’t it?"

I guess it could have been worse. I might have had a larger audience, or I might have switched into my end-game raid armor. I needed to go through my inventory and make sure nothing else was attached to my outfits that would raise more questions than I had answers.

Walking towards the window, I looked out at the garden in the courtyard. The heat of the day had not lifted, but why was I so cold?

"I'm far from home, Rosalyn, without my companions."

I needed to nip this in the bud as quickly as possible.

"Your Majesty, you should." She took a couple of steps forward but stopped.

"Please, Rosalyn, none of that. Lady Eleanor, my lady, or even just Eleanor, if you could," I asked her kindly.

She frowned for a moment and then nodded. "I see."

"Do you? I'm just a simple adventurer," I started to say but stopped when she gave a very unladylike snort.

OK, am I really that bad.

"Oh my lady," she giggled. "Forgive me, but no one sees you that way."

"No?"

She shook her head.

Well, at least Rosalyn was smiling again. The fear in her eyes disturbed me. "Well, I try, even if I am not doing a very good job of it. As I said, I am far from home without my friends, my companions."

"I understand, my lady. As an adventurer, you can walk freely through the kingdoms even if you are a foreign noble but as royalty."

Well, something like that. I didn’t want the trouble. Now, I will admit the whole thing while playing in Magic-Life was good fun, no matter how much it annoyed me at times; however, it's just a story that Kathy made up, and that the developers ran with.

Avalon was no more real than Hy Na-Beatha.

"So please let us keep this between the two of us."

My Lady's Maid then asked, "Even from Iona, my lady?"

I looked over the garden once more, not sure how much commotion that would cause. Eventually, my apprentice would need to know the truth or as much as I understood it.

"For now."

Rosalyn then went down into a deep curtsey, her head almost touching the floor. "As you wish, Your Majesty."

Cheeky woman.

--0--

Strolling through the castle with Rosalyn and Iona behind me, we made our way towards the meeting room. Although it would have been nice to have this discussion in the center of the garden, I am sure that Baroness Sebena wanted something a little more formal.

Familiar and not so familiar faces greeted me as we entered the room. Leo and Karin smiled at me before bowing. The man next to him must be the Guildmaster of Harmon. He had a dangerous air about him, even with his white hair and a body wracked by age. Master Jeffrey was also in attendance as a member of the guild's party.

The Baroness of Redwater approached me, looking worried. "Are you well, Eleanor?"

"I'm fine, Amabel. I just needed a little nap." I smiled, which she just raised an eyebrow but nodded.

Dragging me to the other side of the room, her husband greeted me before I took a seat next to Baroness Sebena. To her left sat the Baron of Redwater and his wife while Sir Odo and another Knight I didn’t recognize remained standing along with Rosalyn and several other people. Only Marsilia seemed to be absent, most likely taking care of her son.

"I hope my grandson didn’t cause you any trouble?" she asked.

"Oh no, it was fine. Although perhaps we will have my apprentice tell one of her adventures next time."

Sir Odo then approached. "Lady Eleanor, you know most of the people in this room, but let me introduce you to Baroness Sabena's Captain of the Guard Sir Eric."

"Sir Eric," I nodded my head in greeting, which he bowed in return.

Sir Odo then introduced me to Guildmaster Stephen, who also bowed deeply at the waist. With the introduction done, I noticed a lot more formal than before; he continued.

"Sir Jeffrey, I believe you were the guild's scribe who met with Lady Eleanor's band after they returned from the Pale Hills?"

"Yes, Sir Odo." Reaching into a leather satchel, he passed a stack of papers to a fawn-colored catkin.

She then only passed them out to the nobles, although she almost tripped when approaching my side of the table.

"Esgusodwch fi fy arglwyddes," she said nervously, as she set the parchment in front of me.

"Mae'n berffaith iawn." I waved off her concern with a smile.

"Lilia, is everything alright?" Baroness Sebena asked while giving me a strange look.

"Yes, my lady," she replied before stepping back, returning to Rosalyn's side.

Reading a report of our adventure in the Pale Hills reminded me of the after-action reports that we had to write for the developers. "You didn’t include Myra's report. Nevermind, I see you included the information in this one."

Nodding, I quickly flipped through the pages. Interesting to see their conclusions, although I'm not sure how I became to one to come up with them as I am pretty sure I didn’t speak that much when Master Jeffrey interviewed the group.

"Before we continue further," Guildmaster Stephen stood up and bowed to Baroness Sebena, then to me. "Lady Eleanor, as head of the Adventurers Guild in Harmon, I would like to give you my thanks in your timely rescue of one of our adventuring bands. Without your assistance, we would have lost both groups."

"As I told Master Leo and Mistress Karin, it was my pleasure. I could not in good conscience have remained in Wyndemere, knowing that I could do something about it. And, as I gained an apprentice, I believe I was well compensated." I said, smiling at Iona.

"I understand that you insisted that your monetary share of the mana stones go to the families of the adventurers that were lost. However, as a thank you, the guild would like to offer you twenty percent of the stones that were recovered for your personal use."

"You’re an alchemist too," marveled Amabel.

"I dabble," I smiled. Turning back to the guildmaster, I said. "Thank you."

Since I didn’t need the money, I thought it would be better if I bought mana stones from the guild, so that was a nice quest reward. I had a few things I wanted to test using the mana stones but also included having Iona make a potion without a mana stone but using my ingredients.

"In the report, it mentioned that you gave Warrior Warin a restorative potion to counter the Wasting Curse. Was that an elixir of your own creation?"

"Yes, I did create the potion; however, the recipe is not mine."

"Thank you, my lady." He bowed again and then continued, "After reading through the two reports, I agree with Lady Eleanor's assessment that the basilisk was the initial impetus for the increase in monster migration towards the Forest Road. However, with the discovery of the living labyrinth, we believe this will continue to be a danger."

"Eleanor, from your experience, do you also believe it's a living labyrinth?" Baroness Sebena asked.

"From what I have been told and seen, I believe so; however, both Master Leo and Mistress Karin have more experience with them in the southern kingdoms," I answered truthfully, having never been in one before. "I will say though that there was a purpose behind the actions of the dungeon, and it was watching."

"Most high ranking adventurers who enter a living labyrinth have said the same thing, my lady," Guildmaster Stephen explained turning to his Baroness.

"Thank you, Guildmaster," she replied.

The meeting continued as both Leo and Karin were drawn into the discussion. Once again, we went over particular points of our adventure. Sir Odo and Sir Eric were interested in the fight with the wights. The Baron and Baroness were very interested in the quality of the stones.

By the time we finished, the sun was setting.

Leo and Karin departed with the rest of the guild, although I made sure to let them know I would keep in touch. I made plans with Sir Odo and Sir Eric for them to examine the cursed ax. And the Baron and Baroness had other questions but was interrupted by Amabel.

"Sabena." The Baroness of Redwater stepped to my side. "I understand that this is important to the kingdom, but Eleanor has been answering your questions all day."

"Its fine, Amabel." I tried to say, but she gently slipped her arm through mine and began leading me off.

"Don’t let them bully you, my dear." She said warmly. "Now, I have more important questions for you as we make our way to dinner."

I raised an eyebrow having no clue what she wanted to know.

"Who designed your lovely outfit, and is it true that you have more of these exquisite creations inside that little magical bag of yours."

up
307 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay

Another chapter. So Rosalyn knows I wonder how soon until that bomb drops on everyone else. I wonder if Lady Eleanor has a universal translator built in now. I bet she is going to out herself to Amabel. Now we need the next chapter of Freya’s daughter. Lilia speaking in beastskin is going to cause a ruckus if anyone else heard Eleanor. I wonder what Eleanor’s reaction will be when she finds out Avalon is very real.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Interesting idea

The current area could have been the kingdom of Avalon in a older age :), ok horns coming out with that idea. I agree we need to know more about Freya and if one of her descendants suddenly went missing, or is she going to Freya reincarnated?

I think the noble ladies have already assessed her probable position in the pecking order, as they didn't even bother asking what her station was. Her clothing, attitude and just about everything else screams someone of importance and power.

I think the cat beast folk have info that Eleanor really needs badly, that she can speak their tongue probably was a test of some kind of theirs.

Life is good.

WillowD's picture

And I think this chapter has answered or partially answered many of the questions Elsbeth's loyal fans have raised over the months. Mind you, it raises a few more. I love the way Elsbeth is teasing and tantalizing her readers.

I'm off to bed. Good night everyone. And thank you Elsbeth.

Critical failure

"I'm just a simple adventurer."

Make a persuasion roll. Die roll: 1.

So much for that!

To quote Willow, "Snerk."

Amabel Wants Girl Talk, Fashions

BarbieLee's picture

Even in different kingdoms women are the same. What is the latest fashion where you are from and who makes your dresses?
I hope Eleanor manages to get her wardrobe straightened out before pulling out the Queen's crown and jewelry with the things she has in her arcane bag.
Thank you for giving all your readers a heads up Rosalyn had known all along. That was one of the pieces I had been wishing for. Rosalyn finally told Lady Eleanor she knows she is Royalty. Truly an aaaahhhhh nice moment.

This chapter put all the ingredients into the pot. The catkin, recognizes Queen Eleanor too if I'm not mistaken. I also belive she is a spy for the Queen.

The voice trying to call Lady Eleanor, the Queen who was murdered when her kingdom was destroyed? Sounds like it if Lady Eleanor is so cold, she was calling from the afterlife. She is going to warn Lady Eleanor of the dangers and who the enemy is?

So many cookies dropped in this one chapter, it is hard to track them all and Elsbeth cuts her readers no slack with her excellent skills at weaving a story together so enticing we readers are trapped in the story along with the heroine.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

We've heard several times now

We've heard several times now that Eleanor resembles the late Queen Clíodhna. I think Lilia also saw the resemblance, and got nervous enough to stumble on her own feet. Her apologizing in her own tongue was caused by where her head was at right then.

Eleanor's response, in the same language, I have no doubt was caught by Baroness Sabeena. That will cause concern, I am sure.

Catkin

It is more than likely Opal suspects as well and that may be why she is seeing her mother. We do not know what abilities catkins have vs humans but the mere thought that the Queen may be returning is striking fear in the hearts of humans while possibly bringing joy to the beastmen.

Eleanor is not ambitious as she is a queen that has a common touch who seeks to unite rather than divide. Unfortunately others may be threatened by her mere presence.

2 lost Queens

Yes, I've had to revise my earlier opinion that Eleanor wasn't important enough to warrant a special side trip to report.

A lost noble? Not that important.
A lost noble who looks amazingly like a dead Queen? Yeah that could be important enough.

Queen Cliodhna was around recently enough, or made enough of a mark, that she is remembered well enough for people to see the resemblance in Eleanor.

New thought if Lady Eleanor starts displaying dresses

BarbieLee's picture

She auto equips all her clothes, armor and everything she calls from the arcane bag. Will she make that mistake with Amabel watching? That will also add fire to the mystery of the Adventurer who is a noble and a mystic.
LOL, so much going on in this chapter
hugs Elsbeth
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Asking the truly important questions

Where did you get that dress? :^D

Speaking to Lilia in her native tongue is going to cause some ripples, mark my words.

They don't seem to know quite

They don't seem to know quite what to make of lady Eleanor.

Godstones

I wonder if the disturbances were the rest of her group arriving in this world.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Maybe

Maybe or maybe not, way the story reads; I believe that was caused solely by Eleanor's summoning to the real world.

That is one possibility

WillowD's picture

My personal theory is that the power required to kidnap Eleanor kind of overloaded the stones and alters. In other words, that Eleanor's arrival is the effect, not the cause.

Ah yes,

Monique S's picture

Talking fashion, finally something I understand. giggles
Lovely.
Monique.

Monique S

Lots to think about

Countess Orebella has glasses, is this standard tech in this world?

So it looks like there has been a magical disruption and it seems to be still going on.

So the important question is whether Eleanor’s arrival was a side effect of some huge magical event or was the huge magical event was focussed on pulling Eleanor over.

History of Eyeglasses

Elsbeth's picture

Romans discovered the ability to use to glass to enhance their ability to see small text, creating small magnifying glasses with spheres.. The reading stone was a glass sphere that was laid on top of the reading material to magnify the letters.

The first wearable eyeglasses were invented around in and around 13th century Italy. Artwork remains the best testament that these glasses existed, as early Renaissance paintings sometimes depict scholars using handheld frames or perch-style glasses.

Glass blowers would make lenses of different thickness based on rudimentary vision testing. As these glasses became more popular, the Italian creations spread throughout Europe, mostly available to the wealthy.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Glasses

Point is, in a magical world, what are the limitations of what can and cannot be done by magic?

There are a lot of magical substitutes for fairly basic tech like lighting and not so basic ones like motors for boats. To me this means a practical substitution of non-magical tech solutions for magical ones would reduce demand for mana stones, reserving them for situations with no possible substitute as we don’t know how much is available. A growing population would cause a problem of supply.

Reduce demand for mana stones

Elsbeth's picture

Oh sure, like you mean how we reduce demand in our world, or don't with oil and other natural resource shortages. Your right increase in population would be an issue and times of war there are shortages.

Unfortunately, its a wonderful revenue generating resource for the governments. So why stop its use.

Point is, in a magical world, what are the limitations of what can and cannot be done by magic?

Yes there are limitations but if you can think of it, have the skill and the gold or as they say build it and they will come.

Obviously there is plenty of technology that does not use magic. Magical lighting, heating and the like can still only be afforded by the well to do. It just makes things easier or in cases with lack of other resources, possible.

Can they create permanent magical items sure, sure but why would they if they can charge you again. Kind of like the ever burning light bulb.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

That went well...

As usual, no one really buys the simple adventurer facade...

Switching language without thinking and once again unintentionally showing off what she knows and can do doesn't really help with that.

Also Rosalyn is now convinced that Eleanor is royalty. That's gonna be fun.

Last things to mention would be the voice in the dark cold, which could be the one who brought Eleanor there in the first place, and the shrines, that seems to have resonated with each other upon her arrival, do I sense some divine intervention around here?

Until next time!

-Winlyn

Voice

Unlike others I am not jumping on the bandwagon about the voice, that was just Rosalyn trying to wake Eleanor up, I think. The cold she felt I is possibly due to the magical disturbance as she is a sensitive or she might have had an encounter in an alternate plane while dozing.

The cold she felt may have also a premonition of what she is here for. Remember, the dragon the band fought was an ice dragon and if we are going to continue paralleling Magic-Life with this world that would make sense.

Second Guessing Elsbeth

BarbieLee's picture

As a non gamer I am having way too much fun with this story trying to figure out where Elsbeth is going with it? Elsbeth is a Master Word Smith dropping cookies like mad throughout her chapters. Are they there as filler to the story, no real purpose. Or are they there as indicators of what is ahead. What is obvious isn't always the way Elsbeth was going with this story. She gave us a Red Herring. Lilia and Lady Eleanor exchanging polite talk is not as innocent as first blush would indicate. As someone mentioned, I believe Lilia was nervous around The Queen.
I'm going to keep second guessing the voice and the cold was from the slain queen. Rosalyn's "Majesty" was her attempt at waking Queen Eleanor. But second guessing Elsbeth is an effort in futility. She's good!
hugs
always
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it until it's time to return it.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Voice

What sways me also that the voice is Rosalyn’s is I don’t think the dead queen would address her by title.

If she is her peer than a non-titled interaction made more sense, just like the relative informal forms of address used in the garden between the nobles.

Thought the Voice...

Had been identified as Rosalyn's, when she used "your majesty" to address her later in that scene.

Eric

Hard question

"Who designed your lovely outfit?" may actually be a hard question for Eleanor. Unlike most of her clothing, her current outfit was not designed by Valindra. Rather, it is part of the Midsummer's Event unique armor set, and so was designed by some developer. As a beta-tester, Eleanor may know exactly who designed it, but may not. I feel it is very possible that she does not. If she does not, answering who designed it becomes a hard question for Eleanor.

Valindra

I would not be too sure she did not have a hand in designing it as I think the developers drew in the talents of their testers a lot to design stuff.

Candy

In an earlier chapter, Eleanor considered what gift to give the Baroness. In this chapter, it is clear that she intended the candy she is passing out to be that gift, until she was ambushed by Byron. This gift is another demonstration of how well Eleanor's "I'm just an adventurer" campaign is going. In our world, a gift of candy to a noblewoman might be considered paltry. (Heck, candy is a gift I get!) In the world Eleanor is in, candy is a very rare substance; the only example known to the person Eleanor asked was a special royal celebration.

"So, here. Have some candy! And by the way, I'm just an adventurer."

Candy

It is an illustration of her ability to bring people together also. She is on her way to charm Amabel and likely the entire clan and she used this ‘walking in the garden’ situation to talk outside of protocol. It echoes a bit of early U.S. diplomacy during the cold war where diplomatic understandings were done informally between leaders in an outside the conference settings.

She already refers to the nobles by their first names, indicating she is of their rank or higher.

Amabel

Very likable character. Eleanor was barely rested from her adventure, never got to freshen up after a far less than comfortable barge trip and was grilled for at least 6 hours it sounds like, yet Sabena continues to want her guest to sing for her supper. Sabena should be embarrassed.

*happy sigh*

Nyssa's picture

So great to get to spend more time with Eleanor. Could the damage at multiple gates mean that Eleanor wasn't the only one brought through?

Ummm, also, where does one go to swear fealty to the Lost Queen masquerading as a simple adventurer? Anybody else wishing they could?

The only one brought through?

I had to go back and check. Oh darn, had to re-read the chapter. :-)

Countess Orebella: "All we know was that the ones in Harmon and Volis were not damaged."
Archmage Phexidis: "But then again, there isn’t a Godstone sitting in the middle of those two shrines."

It sounds like the only shrines damaged were built around godstones. Did the shrine interfere with the transfer? Is that why they took damage? They also don't mention godstones without shrines around them. Could more people have come through, but got scattered to open godstones?

Godstones

To me I have to wonder why Harmon and Volis did not have godstones. If a godstone was required by all means build the temple around it considering there is a ring of godstones nearby, the ones Eleanor popped into the middle of.

So, an alternative interpretation is that the godstones all of a sudden appeared in the temples, but not in the aforementioned cities. It is a magical world after all. Eleanor happened to have appeared in the area of the unaffected temples, coincidence?

such a simple outing...

Dreams of cold, unmoving, shadows in the darkness, so cold.

"Lady Eleanor?" some voice whispered through the fog.

So cold.

"Lady Eleanor?" the same voice repeated the call this time a little louder.

Unmoving.

"Your Majesty."

BUSTED!!!

The Meaning of Avalon

I stopped posting public comments on BCTS. However,

I had previously sent a PM to a small group of TLQ readers with some of my insights into this serial. Two (2) of the people I sent the PM too requested that I publicly post my insight on the meaning of Avalon. I asked Elsbeth and she said it was okay to post my remarks.

***

Here is part of my PM:

"... v2 Chapter 6:

'...My uncle did have an apple orchard, which she found fascinating.'

In Welsh, Avalon means 'the isle of apple trees'.

The first (surviving) written records of Avalon are by Geoffrey of Monmouth [Historia Regum Britannie - circa 1136 and Vita Merlin - circa 1150]. In Vita Merlin, Geoffrey called Avalon Insuia Pomorum ('Isle of Fruit Trees').

In Historia Regum Britannie, he claimed:

(a) Avalon is where King Arthur was taken after he was wounded in battle with Mordred.

(b) Avalon is where Excalibur was forged.

So, if I was asked by a young catkin to describe Lady Eleanor, I might say that she is a young woman (whose uncle owned an apple orchard) who comes from an island called Ynys Afallach [Isle of apple trees] where a named sword [Excalibur] belonging to a great King was forged and where this great King was given refuge after his army was destroyed and He was wounded in battle. According to legend, the great King still lives on this magical island and will return when his kingdom has the greatest need in a time of extreme peril..."

Welsh

According to google translate they're speaking Welsh. Or is it "Not-Welsh" in story?

Several people have commented that Eleanor's guild emblem ("I believe my companions based it off the Welch red dragon.") looked familiar but they couldn't place it. The Welsh flag consists of a red dragon passant on a green and white field.

If they are speaking Welsh, could it be the Dal Riatan flag also has the red dragon on it? Is that why the Eleanor's emblem is familiar?

Honestly, there are enough links to the Dal Riata, including enough of a resemblence to Queen Clíodhna to scare people, that I am thinking this is the way the story is going. I'm not sure where the idea that Eleanor is connected to Freia comes from. The only link to her I remember is a similarity in mount quest.

Well

Well, for her, it was Welsh or she could have gone all Tolkien and invented her own language. Besides Welsh is a relative term only invented by non-Cymric folks anyway which means ‘foreign’ if I recall properly. So, why not?

Wealas

Elsbeth's picture

Creating several learnable languages is beyond me :)

But as for the Welsh, pretty much, back in the day Saxons would have called someone like Eleanor 'Wealas' – a foreigner – from which we get the word ‘Welsh’.

The modern Welsh word for the English is 'Saeson', meaning 'the Saxons'.

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Isekai Done Right Here.

I must be getting old, I can remember reading 'Isekai' stories WAY before the term came. Still, this is a great example as one, and yeah, the only person Elanor's fooling is herself. Also, love these plot lines you're dangling in front of us.

Isekai stories

WillowD's picture

I had to google "Isekai" to find out what it meant. Yup. While I've only been enjoying stories written in Japan for the last 30 years or so, I have been reading stories "where a character travels from the world they know to an unfamiliar one" since I was about five or so. The Little Mermaid comes to mind as being my favorite among the first stories of this type that I read.

Isekai

Elsbeth's picture

Isekai is generally a anime genre where it mixes RPG elements with the story. Your right, however it's not really new. Two older examples are Alice in Wonderland and Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Isekai

No need to google "Isekai". Just read the very beginning of book 1 chapter 1 of "The Lost Queen". (Where is the emoticon for blink?)

Deen

Rozdział

Ja się pytam kto ukradł następny rozdział...wtorek się kończy rozdziału brak....kto ukradł rozdział?!

Starym Słowiańskim Bogom : SŁAWA !!

Poszukiwania

Dobra Kochani :D minęło 72 godziny,trzeba powiadomić CIA,CBA,FBI,OB,i KGB żeby zaczęli szukać zaginionego rozdziału :D

Starym Słowiańskim Bogom : SŁAWA !!

Funny that.

WillowD's picture

"The Baron and Baroness were very interested in the quality of the stones."

Yes, the stones will result in a major source of income for the area, which in turn may start a war and other fun activities.