The Lost Queen Vol 2 Ch5 A Midsummer Day's Confusion

Printer-friendly version

The Lost Queen

by:
Elsbeth

Suddenly transported to another world what will Eleanor need to do to survive and hopefully get home.

Queen

Chapter 5: A Midsummer Day's Confusion

Harmon, the northernmost city in the Kingdom of Estassa and the gateway into the Southern Kingdoms, was a fortress. Throughout history, an Imperial Legion, several goblyn clans, and a necromancer's undead horde have broken their backs upon it.

Inside the ten-meter tall outer walls that surrounded the city were orchards, farms, stables, and closer to the city gates, the many residences of the working-class poor of Harmon. On the other side of the next, higher and thicker walls were guildhalls, shops, warehouses, and the home of the many tradesmen and their families.

As you went deeper into the city, you passed through another gate. Inside the third wall, you would find shrines to the gods, higher-end shops, and homes of the wealthy. In the center of it all was Castle Donha.

"Reminds me of Carcassonne," I commented to my apprentice as we got a better view of the city.

Iona was currently studying my Arcane Lance spell. Although it did significantly less damage than its elemental cousins, the mana cost was not as high. After a little testing, I came to the conclusion that her mana pool had grown since we first met, or perhaps her ability to draw more mana from the environment.

Either way, my apprentice was ready to progress to the next level of spells. Mage William, however, could make no sense of the incantation, but I did leave a copy for him to look over, which he was very grateful.

"Is that a city in your Kingdom?" Iona looked up from her work.

It's not even in my country but close enough, although I think the French government would object to being called a Kingdom.

I smiled and nodded in reply as I watched Rosalyn approach.

"Lady Eleanor, did you wish to change?" She asked.

We were still about thirty minutes away from docking, but she did have a point, no need to walk around the city fully armored. Sometime yesterday, we actually passed a point where the river became less dangerous. The crew, however, didn’t seem too upset that we hadn’t changed out of our adventuring gear.

"Probably a good idea to get out of the way of the crew anyway."

I motioned to Iona to remain and continue her work as Rosalyn, and I made our way to the stern of the ship.

Although there were places to sleep, a kitchen, and the Captain's cabin, no one wanted to spend any amount of time in the rear of the barge. It was too hot, even at night. The heat didn’t really bother me, it was rather nice, but the crew and the rest of our group spent the night on the deck under a large awning.

I noticed with some amusement that my Lady's Maid seemed to be wilting under the heat of the cabin. "You know Rosalyn, as much as I appreciate your help, I can do this by myself if you're too hot."

The Captain insisted I be given one of the nicer cabins. The owner of the Vittoria had a storeroom converted into a duel-purposed room for himself and his wife, which they used while traveling. Not that it was large, my bedroom closet at home was bigger, but for a two-day boat trip, it was cozy.

Smiling, she shook her head, "I'm fine, my lady, although if you can do your magical change of outfit spell, it will speed up the process. I can then make sure everything fits right."

Laughing, I nodded, then looked through my inventory, hmm, how about the green and white dress. As soon as I auto-equip the outfit, Rosalyn's eyes opened wide, obviously surprised at something.

"Lady Eleanor."

Oh, I forget that the green dress was part of the Midsummer's Event unique armor set. On the first day of the weeklong event, a series of rather fun games determined who would preside as either King or Queen of Midsummer. That one lucky player would also receive either the Oberon's or Tatiana's outfit. Of course, members of my guild went out of the way so to make sure that I ended up winning.

Reaching up, I removed the corolla, or I guess you could also call it a diadem from my brow and ran a finger over the beautiful silver flowers and leaves. The way it was designed made it look like a wreath, which went with the whole forest theme of the armor set.

"Is, as in mockery," I whispered. "Set, the spring, the summer, the childing autumn, and the angry winter,"

Placing the corolla back into my inventory, but leaving the rest of the forest-inspired jewelry on, I motioned to Rosalyn, who stepped behind me and started to loosen and tighten things. Immediately I could tell the difference. It's not that it was uncomfortable before this was just better.

"Iona, if you need the room, it's available," I said as we exited the stern.

Smiling, she waved to her sister, who grabbed her girlfriend before the three of them went to change. Moments later, Karin joined them.

"So this is the only one over the river," I asked as we traveled under an archway of a stone bridge some twenty minutes later. Its appearance reminded me a little of a drawing of the old London Bridge.

"The only one this far north, Lady Eleanor," Mage William explained. "Another day and a half by river south of here is the bridge at Black Hallow Castle."

"Most of the time, you have to cross the river by boat, my lady." One of the lightermen added.

"So it splits the Barony in half," I murmured. Too wide to ford, and the closest points were heavily defended. Wyndemere, unfortunately, was located on the wrong side of the river.

As we passed numerous taverns, warehouses, and homes of the dockworkers on the eastern bank, the lighterman added, "Keep a hand on your dagger and another on your coin purse if you decide to visit the taverns at night, my lady."

"So, most of the south going caravans pass through there?"

"Yes, my lady," Mage William answered, and then asked, "You plan on a bit of traveling?"

"Perhaps," I said, and then pointed to the other side of the river. "And if you take that road beyond Harmon?"

"It will take you to the Barony of Redwater."

As we drew closer to our destination, the Captain once again started to shout orders to the crew. It seems the owners had their own section of the docks, so we didn't have to wait long.

"The carriage is for me?"

Standing at the foot of the gangplank, I watched as it came to a stop right in front of me. Although I had no comment on its decorations, it appeared somewhat comfortable, and at least the cobblestones would make it a reasonably smooth ride. Just not something, I was expecting.

"Does it not..." the man standing beside me fretted. Introduced as Master Theodore, he was the eldest son of the owner of several river barges, including the Vittoria.

I waved off his concern, "No, its fine, Master Theodore, it's very much appreciated, thank you."

I had expected to walk to wherever we were going, but as usual, people had other ideas.

He beamed at the compliment, "Your Lady's Maid has informed me that you plan on staying at the Grande."

"That is correct, Master Theodore."

The young man nodded and walked towards my waiting transportation, speaking to the driver.

"We will be going as well, Lady Eleanor," Leo said as he and his wife set down their baggage. "I need to check on our school and make a report to the guild. Myra and Katilia would also be traveling with us."

"I will inform the Guildmaster where you will be staying." Karin smiled then wrapped her arms around her youngest niece. "You be good, Iona."

"Yes, Auntie," she replied a little tearfully.

"Sorry that you're going to have to leave Blake behind, little sister?" Myra grinned.

"Please don’t start." Iona sighed. "He was so annoying."

"Most teenage-boys are my dear," joked Karin.

It then surprised me when Leo bowed, and four women made a deep curtsey, which caused several people on the docks to turn to look at what was going on.

"Thank you once again for your help Lady Eleanor; we are all alive only because of your assistance. We will never forget that," Leo said.

"It was my pleasure." I smiled at the group. "Although this is hardly farewell, I imagine that we will be seeing one another fairly soon."

That got a small laugh from everyone. We had spoken about the Pale Hills Labyrinth over the last two days and knew that the repercussions were going to be enormous. All of them half expected that I would receive an invitation from the throne, which reminded me that I still needed to send my reply to the Baroness.

"Master Theodore," I called out.

"Yes, my lady." He hurriedly came to my side.

"Do you know of a way I can get a message to Castle Donha?"

"I do. Let me get the Captain of the Docks." He immediately ran off again.

"Excitable fellow," Leo chuckled.

I sighed and gave him a look, which made him chuckle even more. "You know you don’t have to stay."

He just smiled, then it faltered a bit when he spotted the group of people approaching. Huh, I only wanted to borrow a runner or something.

"Lady Eleanor of House Reine?" A lightly armored soldier stepped forward, followed by four other similar armored guards. Behind them, Theodore looked on nervously, obviously curious at whatever problems he might just have caused.

I smiled at the woman and nodded, "Yes, you must be the Captain of the Docks?"

"Yes, my lady." She didn’t return the smile, but all five of them bowed. "My name is Captain Adeline, and I was informed that you might be arriving, but we were not sure of the day."

"Oh, I see, well, I imagine that Baroness Sabena and Guildmaster Stephen were not aware of our early departure from Wyndemere. Master Theodore mentioned that you might be able to deliver a message for me to Castle Donha?"

She looked confused for a moment. "We can, of course, my lady, but if I am not mistaken, the Baroness is already expecting you." She then motioned me towards the carriage as the guard moved forward. "We will be happy to escort you to the Castle, my lady."

"Oh, I see, thank you, Captain." Considering the importance of the information, I guess time was of the essence. Still, why does it feel like I am being kidnapped?

Smiling at my nervous-looking companions, I said, "We will see each other soon. Rosalyn, Iona shall we depart."

--0—

With all that had happened to me in the last month, traveling by horse-drawn carriage seemed the most surreal. The two armored escorts riding to our front and the two to the rear allowed us to pass right through the gates, but we did attract quite a bit of attention.

"So, you live around here, Iona?" I asked but couldn’t help but smile while watching her look out the window. She was practically vibrating with excitement and nervousness at the same time.

"Yes, that’s where my friend Elios lives with her parents. Her father's a Scrivener for the courts."

A lawyer, huh, well, I guess you can find them in every world.

"And the bakery we just passed, that's Mistress Leigh's. She is an old friend of my mothers," she grinned then pointed to the other side of the street. "We live in that direction beyond Harpers' Hall near Master Ribald shop. He's a bladesmith."

"Oh, are there many shops like that in Harmon?" A weapons store sounded like something I would find in Magic-Life.

Iona sat back, thinking. "I guess, although most adventurers buy their weapons and gear through the guild. Master Ribald's swords are better made, though. At least that's what Aunt Karin says."

"You will find more shops like Master Ribald in Harmon than in other cities, Lady Eleanor," Rosalyn said.

Iona perked up. "That’s true. There are a lot of ancient ruins to the west of the Southbourne River. Plus, the town leaders of Kilby, Feywood, and Rivermoore, and of course, Wyndemere, are always posting jobs."

"Like the job of cleaning out rats under the inns of Harmon."

"That too," Iona beamed.

After we passed through another gate, the ride had become considerably smoother; the houses around more expensive, and along the side of the street, I could see what appeared to be street lamps. The district reminded me more of 19th century New York than a medieval city.

"Are those gas lamps?" I asked.

"Gas? Oh, no, my lady, those are mage lights," Rosalyn replied.

This world was not mine, and I didn’t know its history or its inventions. I was surprised how often the technology around me seemed modern. The homes and shops on this side of the wall had magical stoves, indoor heating, and lighting.

Talking about the magic items in the neighborhood, I wasn’t surprised when Iona brought up my share of the treasure again.

"Are you sure you don’t want any of the mana stones, Lady Eleanor?" she asked as we continued our way through Harmon. "I mean, Uncle Leo's probably keeping a few. He'll just take the cost for them out of his share."

Oh, that’s interesting. "I assumed we were required to turn most of them in. I still possess the basilisk's core because you all insisted I keep it, but the rest we would have to sell to the guild."

Iona shook her head. "It's against the law to sell them to anyone but the Adventurers Guild. Although from what I have been told, you're not supposed to give mana stones away either but people do it anyway."

"The kingdom needs to collect its taxes, Iona," Rosalyn commented with a smile.

"That’s what Uncle Leo said. If you sell them, you could be fined or even imprisoned if you're caught."

I wondered how they policed it, though. There had to be some sort of black-market them. Maybe it's like the days of prohibition where you would buy a mug from a local tavern, and they would give you a mana stone instead of alcohol for free.

"Only those merchants with a license from the crown can sell mana stones, my lady," Rosalyn explained. "So, for example, if you have a magic item that requires them, you can get a contract through the crafter or the guild."

My apprentice was still making a face.

Apparently, the mana stones we found in the Pale Hills were of a much higher quality than those typically found in ancient ruins, which was always the case with living labyrinths. Between the undead, the giant insects, and yes, even the ratkins, we collected quite a few.

Now, humans, beastmen, and even goblyns do not own heart cores. The ratkins, however, were the exception. These monsters were created by magic, or some scholars believed normal rats corrupted by it.

Iona's first adventure was an essential job for young adventurers, not just because no one likes rats, but they might eventually turn into ratkins. Even though it's never been a real problem, the monsters usually only inhabited ancient ruins and living labyrinths, but no one wanted to take the risk.

"As I told your Aunt and Uncle, Iona, I have neither need of coin nor a need for mana stones. And, I also have no issues with him splitting my share and adding it to the rest of the group. Amice and Warin are starting a new life, and this way, Argus' family, will receive a little more money. But thank you."

Unfortunately, no one knew anything about Denis. If he had something set up with the guild, then Leo will add to it.

"I believe we are about to arrive, Lady Eleanor," Rosalyn said as she looked outside the window.

--0—

Sir Odo steward of House Donha grumbled as he passed through the halls of the Keep. He and his Baroness had been in a meeting all morning with one of her peers going over the new tax laws when they were told the news of Lady Eleanor's arrival.

What he did not expect was a beautiful woman standing in the middle of the great hall, wearing a green dress that would put most noblewomen's clothing to shame only to be accompanied by an apprentice and her Lady's Maid.

She also seemed to be politely ignoring the half dozen or so guards, which stood about the room for some reason. Considering the recent reports he had received about her, he wasn't surprised she didn’t seem concerned.

Bowing respectfully, he announced, "Lady Eleanor, my name is Sir Odo, Steward of House Donha. I apologize for not having someone to meet you, but we had not expected your arrival."

The young woman gave a small laugh and then nodded, "It's as I expected, Sir Odo. Your Captain of the Gate wasn't even sure to let my carriage pass. After overhearing the conversation between my escort and the other guardsmen, there must have been some sort of miscommunication."

She took note of the armored men in the room with a wave of her hand.

He frowned at them for a moment and then asked. "Did you just arrive in Harmon?"

"Yes, and as soon as we stepped off the boat, we were immediately escorted to the castle."

The knight tried not to cringe. What were they all thinking? Thankfully, the powerful adventurer didn’t look upset, he thought. You could never tell sometimes.

"I apologize for that, Lady Eleanor. Unfortunately, Baroness Sebena is currently unavailable."

"It's no problem, Sir Odo. If one of your soldiers could call for a carriage, I would be more than happy to find an inn for the night. Perhaps we can meet in the morning?"

Now that was refreshing; however, his Baroness would have his head if he let this noblewoman go.

"No, no," he objected, "I believe that the Baroness intends to speak with you as soon as possible. She would also want you to stay at Castle Donha during your time in Harmon."

"Are you sure?" She asked. "I wouldn’t want to be an imposition upon her household."

"It's no trouble, my lady," he insisted. "Considering the size of your retinue, we have plenty of room."

She once again gave a charming laugh. "Yes, well, it appears I have misplaced most of my companions. Well, thank you, Sir Odo, then I'll happily accept the Baroness hospitality."

--0—

"It's not funny, Stewart," The Baroness sat back on her chair, rubbing her eyes. "Could you have imagined if she was one of the empire's high born?"

"Sabena, please tell me if I am wrong, but doesn’t it sound like Lady Eleanor was literally dragged off the boat, tossed into a carriage, and brought to the castle," the Baron of Redwater took a sip from his glass trying not to grin.

"I don’t believe it was that bad, my lord," Sir Odo sighed. "But after speaking to one of the guardsmen who escorted her carriage from the docks, I don’t believe Captain Adeline gave her much of a choice."

"Lilia," the Baroness turned to a young catkin standing in the back of the room. "Please remind me to speak to Sir Eric about this situation. This is not the first time Captain Adeline has come to my attention."

"Yes, my lady."

"It doesn’t sound like she meant any harm, Sebena, maybe a bit over-zealous in her duties." Baron Stewart shrugged. "At least with this Lady Eleanor being an adventurer, the worst thing is that you insulted a member of some lower noble house."

"I'm not sure that is the case, my lord." Sir Odo frowned. "Even after twenty-five years of marriage, I am not well informed about woman's fashion, but Lady Eleanor's dress would not be out of place at High Court."

"Well, of course, she was dressing to meet a Baroness. It sounds like an adventure that recently came into some coin."

"Ahh, but it's not that Stewart, she didn’t expect to be coming to the castle today." Sabena had a small smile on her face as she tapped her finger on her lips. She then looked at her scheneshal and asked, "So only three in her entourage?"

"Yes." Sir Odo nodded.

"And no luggage, correct? So the reports from Master Jeffrey and Captain Conrad sound more believable." The Baroness sat back, looking thoughtful.

"She must have left her gear with some of the other members of her band." Lord Stewart frowned. "Or I am missing something."

"I believe it is in the Baron's best interest to know what we know, my lady," Sir Odo opined.

"I agree, go ahead, and give him the reports to read, Odo."

Barony of Redwater frowned and set down his drink before picking up one of the reports of the Adventurers Guild. "Sweet Dinya, a living labyrinth in our Kingdom. Sebena, has the crown been notified?"

"Of course, Stewart, however, we only received the report from the guild four days ago. His Majesty would only now be receiving the report. I'd expect Archmage Phexidis to appear in Harmon immediately afterward if I didn’t know he hasn’t been seen since before the wedding."

The Baron nodded, "He still wasn’t in the capital two days later when I departed. His Majesty was less than pleased about it." Picking up another sheet of parchment, he then whispered, "Arcane bags, blood bonded weapons, and a spirit animal."

"So, what do you think?" Baroness Sabena asked.

"I think your Captain Adeline lucky to have her head still," he said sincerely. Setting down the report, he frowned. "I am going to assume these aren’t rumors; you know how adventurers tend to be braggarts."

"It's all been verified by multiple parties. Guildmaster Stephen talked to your Guildmaster in Kindale, and will offer her a ranked-A rating if she registers."

"That’s going to cause a ruckus," the Baron frowned. "Her Kingdom, this Avalon isn’t going to be happy about losing one of its defenders. Do you think they will send others to look for her?"

"According to Captain Conrad in Wyndemere, she had members of her band who can create portals."

"Not more than one?" The Baron looked shocked. "Surely, that Kingdom doesn’t have more than one Archmage."

"So, she says." Sabena shrugged. "However, there hasn’t been any reason not to believe her. Although suddenly appearing in the Godstones, I still don’t know what to think of that."

"I assume you spoke to Countess Orebella?"

The Baroness shook her head, "She hasn’t returned from the capital as of yet."

"So, there is no possibility of her being one of Emperor Naxos' pet adventurers?" Stewart asked.

"Can't say it isn’t a possibility, my lord," Sir Odo replied. "However, her coloring reminds me of those mercenaries the crown hired from Karlspang."

"Whale hunters, huh," he made a frown. "Well, they lived up to their ferocious reputation. Unfortunately, we know just as much about the White Wastes as we do about the lands beyond the Great Sea."

"Which is next to nothing," Baroness Sebena smiled. "Could you place her accent, Odo?"

"No, my lady, but she does speak well. I wouldn’t assume she came from the common class like most A-ranked adventures who were raised to the peerage."

"And how does she present herself?"

"No different from any woman of noble birth, my lord."

The Baron of Redwater then asked, "Would you like to hear my thoughts on this, Lady Eleanor, Sabena?"

"I always value your opinion, Stewart," she smiled.

"Most of the time," he grinned, motioning to the stack of parchments covering the new tax laws. "This report, the arcane bags, blood bonded weapons, and the rest, she's no simple adventurer."

"I agree, only the older noble families have blood bonded weapons, and even then, it's rare but not just that." She motioned for him to continue.

"Her Spirit Mount."

The Baroness nodded, "Go on."

"I think she's hiding behind the guise of an adventurer. Oh, she might even be one or had been at one time."

The Baroness nodded. "True, her martial prowess doesn’t have to come from being an adventurer, and she's a mage."

"And she's a mage," Stewart agreed.

"If she were a beastmen, I'd say she's a relation of Queen Clíodhna," Sir Odo commented.

The Baron of Redwater spun on his seat, almost in a panic. "But she not, right, Sir Odo. She's human," he insisted.

The knight's eyes opened wide; he then looked thoughtful and nodded. "Yes, my lord."

Baroness studied the painting of her husband for a moment then looked at her scheneshal, "I would like to meet with Lady Eleanor, Odo."

The Baron of Redwater stood up and said, "I would as well."

up
335 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great Chapter :)

Enemyoffun's picture

The intrigue and the plot thickens. I can't wait to read this fated meeting :).

Sunday

We have Sunday again. This is good.

Eleanor: "I'm just an adventurer." Everyone else: "Uh, huh. Right."

There was one line I did not understand, and would like to have explained: ""Is, as in mockery," I whispered. "Set, the spring, the summer, the childing autumn, and the angry winter."

A quote from Shakespeare.......

D. Eden's picture

A Midsummer Night’s Dream. Queen Titania speaks, “And thorough this distemperature we see The seasons alter: hoary-headed frosts Fall in the fresh lap of the crimson rose, And on old Hiems’ thin and icy crown An odorous chaplet of sweet summer buds Is, as in mockery, set. The spring, the summer, The childing autumn, angry winter, change Their wonted liveries…”

She speaks of the mood represented by the seasons, sad, angry, chaotic, and happy.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Thank you

Thanks for the explanation. I am sure I did not understand the line when I heard it in "Dream", either.

it's a line from Shakespeare

LookingGlass's picture

It's a line by Titania in Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Been too long since I read it that I don't remember most of it except she is arguing with Oberon over some jealousy during the monologue, but figured if nothing else since the outfit she changed into was based on the Titania character from Magic-Life so...

The King and Queen of misrule

WillowD's picture

I used to belong to local group The Twelfth Night Society that recreated the costumes, banquets, dances, cooking, etc. of the Elizabethan English era. For the 12th night of Christmas banquet we would somehow elect or appoint a King and Queen of misrule for the banquet. I remember one year, just after they had sat down on their wooden thrones I recited a poem for them that welcomed them to their kingdom and told them all of the things we had done to prepare things for them, including freshly varnishing the thrones just this morning. Snerk.

Basically, in some English nobles houses the staff would hold a festival once a year where a lord and lady of misrule would be appointed for the day, the real nobility would pretend to be commoners. The lords of misrule would issue all sorts of nonsensical orders that would be acknowledged but not carried out. Think of Alice in Wonderland. I forget what time of year the festival was normally held.

So politics rears it’s ugly head......

D. Eden's picture

We just can’t seem to escape from it. Let’s just hope she doesn’t run into The Donald somewhere - that would certainly spoil a wonderful story!

The nobles are obviously worried about who she is, who she is allied with, and just how powerful she truly is. The fact that she was not the least bit worried or bothered by the soldiers surrounding her is a pretty blatant statement which was not missed. Not to mention the fact that her inadvertent wearing of the diadem in front of her ladies maid will probably get out, only adding to her fast growing legend!

One thinks that Lady Eleanor will become very popular with the common folk very quickly - especially after graciously giving away her share of the treasure garnered from the adventure in the labyrinth. She is easily seen as being of a higher class in the way she dresses and speaks, yet she does not take on airs - and her ingrained exhibition of noblesse oblige is very endearing to the average citizen.

Looking forward to more!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Diadem

Unless compelled, Roselyn will not tell anyone about the diadem. She is far too good a lady's maid to let out a secret like that.

Rosalyn probably guessed by the second day

BarbieLee's picture

Remember Rosalyn was raised around and served ladies in waiting to the Queen. She knows royalty when she sees one. A crown isn't necessary for a noble to be one of the royalty. Also think back when Lady Eleanor first entered the Inn and several there thought she was the Queen raised from the dead. "She carries a presence about her" were other remarks.
"A diadem is a type of crown, specifically an ornamental headband worn by monarchs and others as a badge of royalty."
If Rosalyn was guessing before, there is now no doubt she is serving a Princess or a Queen.
And yes, she will keep the secret. In her own way Rosalyn is as strong a woman as the one she serves.
Amazing skill at writing with Elsbeth dropping hints throughout since the very first chapter.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Politics

I agree in part! She could run into a traitor like old Hilary... that'd stew the pot.

Argh

Once again, lost in this wonderful story only to be interrupted by the kudo button! Ah well, one week to go, with hopefully Freya's Daughters in the week to keep us going.

Wonderful as always :)

When are her ears going to appear?

' "If she were a beastmen, I'd say she's a relation of Queen Clíodhna," Sir Odo commented. '

If you recall, when reminiscing about the Halloween events, a pair of Fox Ears was mentioned. How long until she shows them off (innocently, of course - just like the diadem)?

Eleanor is quite the fox

To come full circle Queen Cliodhna should be fox-kin.

Now, what was with the panic on the Baron's part? Why did he nearly beg to be reassured that Eleanor was human?

Elsbeth, your magic touch of

BarbieLee's picture

Elsbeth, your magic touch of pen to paper is a gift. When Lady Eleanor was marshaled into the carriage by four guards, I was grinning. She was "amused" and they had no concept they were treating what is probably the most powerful person in that world like a piece of baggage. In the castle she's treated like a peasant, kept waiting and surrounded by guards who aren't there to protect her but to keep her in line? Sir Odo, realizes a mistake has been made the moment he lays eyes on Lady Eleanor. He's confused but can't figure it out.

Protocol is shot to hell as Lady Eleanor and retinue is sent to a room to refresh and wait while The Baroness, is busy. Confusion is the name of the game as the Baroness and her court gather to discuss and try to figure out exactly who and what Lady Eleanor is or isn't. The woman is an enigma, a host of contradictions, her carriage, her manners, her actions, her clothes says she High Born, her easy grace, her kindness says she isn't high born. Her retinue of one Lady's Maid and one apprentice says she is a lower ranked noble, her magic, her armor, her weapons, her ability to fight says she's an A ranked Adventurer. Her spirit horse, her blood weapons, her skill with magic, weapons, and fighting says she more, much more.
I'd say you painted a very well crafted web of confusion among those trying to figure out Lady Eleanor. The only thing they are all sure of is they aren't sure of anything about who Lady Eleanor is or isn't.
Hugs hon, love your story
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Great summary

The whirl of confusion around her is getting wider and wider, I share your admiration of our author’s prowess in growing such an intriguing story.

And, yes, I doubt those guardsmen in front of her would survive a minute with her even with her unarmored.

"Oh, I forget that the green

"Oh, I forget that the green dress was part of the Midsummer's Event unique armor set."
She is everything but unarmored ;-)

Unarmored? I doubt it.

WillowD's picture

She may look unarmored but I'm sure she's still heavily armored. Remember she has spare jewelry to loan out that provides enough protection to survive a basilisk attack. And the pretty clothes she wears while strolling around a village market are made of high grade cloths with enchantments sewn in.

I agree

Think the Baron had it right in the end... "she's no simple adventurer." she's more than she appears :).

she’s no simple adventurer

Why do I get that Star Wars vibe of ‘that’s no moon ...’?

Anyway, the reports on her are incomplete as only Roslyn knows of her ability to auto-equip. That would be very useful of course if she needs to switch to her heavy duty armor.

Blood bonded weapons?

It's been a while since I have read this in its entirety, but I don't recall what a "Blood bonded weapon" is.

Sword

In this case it would be her sword. As for use, it'd be usable to anyone of her direct line; if I remember the rule sets right :).

Blood bonded weapon

At what point is it discovered that Eleanor has a blood-bonded weapon? I don't remember this. It is not the fact that she can summon it from her inventory; she can summon anything from her inventory, so being able to do so does not distinguish her weapon. So what did Eleanor do that made people think she has a blood-bonded weapon. Is it simply the fact that here sword and spear have names? If not, what is it?

Her tale of fighting the Black Knight

BarbieLee's picture

The sword was what allowed her to pass through the arch to enter the poisoned land. She fought her way through many who were in the towers until she met the Black Knight in the Hall and defeated him. At which point the sword was bestowed upon her as a gift for releasing the captured souls and cleansing the kingdom of darkness.
Leo, Iona, Karin, and the two girls heard the story. No doubt one repeated the story to the Captain. He was in contact with the Baroness court and passed the word along. A "gifted sword" passed to Lady Eleanor who is the only person who can call it forth and weld it.
Unless I am completely off track on how it became known she carried blood weapons.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

more more more

iiii...ammm ggglaad dtoo haveee fixx butt iiii needsss moreee

(still shaking with withdrawl symptoms)

World building

Erisian's picture

The world building here is a lot of fun and well done, definitely looking forward to more!

If they are this wound up

If they are this wound up about her arrival, they would absolutely lose their minds if the rest of her group showed up.

Archmage

It would be interesting if the archmage was picking one of them up.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

a Queen in their presence...

I can only imagine Rosalyn's thoughts upon seeing the crown (diadem) appear on Lady Elanor's head. I would think that at this point she can only assume she's not a hand-maid to nobility, but to royalty. The way Elanor has passed off other things she has said or done, I can think that surprised would be an understatement. A diadem of the finest silver would only be available to the Crown and family. If I remember my medieval history from 45 years ago in college, "silver flowers like a wreath" would be the diadem of a young lady first in line to be Queen but unmarried. Royalty indeed hence Rosalyn's surprised, nae shocked expression. A truly difficult secret she must now quietly burden.

Yay

She is so busted no one is buying her story.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Is he out searching for the LOST QUEEN?

BarbieLee's picture

"Archmage Phexidis to appear in Harmon immediately afterward if I didn’t know he hasn’t been seen since before the wedding."
It seems the archmage has come up missing about the same time Lady Eleanor arrived in this world. He wasn't at the wedding which was probably a major gaff and a demotion to a servant cleaning the stables if he wasn't The Archmage. Me thinks our achmage felt a ripple in the magic of the Kingdom and went looking for the cause, if he didn't already know from scurrying, a Queen had arrived.
There are so many innuendoes in Elsbeth's story telling, it's next to impossible to figure out where she's inserting real relevant parts or only story filler.
I never like crossword puzzles but am loving this story with all the cookies dropped along in each chapter.
always,
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Ripple

Maybe? The only thing the story tells us is that Phexidis was summoned to some temple so I wonder why the monarch would not be informed?

Archmage absence

Clearly, the archmage was informed that the fish were biting, and he is out chasing them with a rod and line.

Or perhaps not.

I have had a lot of theories about what the archmage has been doing, but they have all collapsed because of the fact that the Archmage is the one person in the kingdom who does not have to worry about travel time. Once he has done whatever he has to do, he can portal to wherever he needs to be. So whatever he has had to do, it can not simply be to find out some piece of news; if it were, he would be back by now. I had hopes, for example, that maybe some other members of Eleanor's guild had arrived at the temple, but if that was everything, he would be back. So whatever he is doing, it takes some time.

Hence the fishing theory. 🙂

Questions

Maybe the are being held for questioning.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Phexidis

My pet theory is that he is being briefed by the patron deity he was summoned to.

Alternatively, he may have been rendered incommunicado somehow and those around him have to get the message back to the monarch the usual way instead of magically.

Protection rings

I do not remember reading whether or not Leo and Karin returned the rings that Lady Eleanor gave them at the beginning of their adventure.

Deen

Information overload

BarbieLee's picture

Sometimes the trivial things in stories the authors are writing must be filled in with the reader's imagination. Returning the rings is not a story changing event. Neither is returning the disk to the Captain which gave her authority over all adventuring bands if he wasn't present. If Elsbeth was fleshing out a novel and getting monetary return for her labors, I'm positive all the small trivial things readers want to have answered would be included. Unless I'm mistaken, she is writing this story on the fly. It isn't completed, she is writing each chapter every week or so.

Elsbeth, along with many other writers amaze me with their talent by putting pen to paper writing a chapter a week. I have stories in the mill I have been working on for several years and short ones I jot down in a couple hours. But to write a chapter a week is not happening in my life.

Leo was wearing a full suit of armor when he boarded the barge. (full armored adventuring party) Most certainly neither he nor Karin had an arcane bag. Neither his armor nor her bow was mentioned when they left the barge. Again, the reader must flesh out the details their own questions bring forth. Details which are explained in full length novels, no so much in short stories. Although Elsbeth's The Lost Queen is now closing in on two hundred and fifty pages, I would no longer call a short story.
Wish you happiness in life, everything else will find its place when you do.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

The rings

The rings have to be at least A class gear since Jeffrey was astonished she survived a basilisks breath weapon.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Returning stuff

WillowD's picture

The captain's badge of authority was almost certainly returned. I believe when she arrived back in town she specifically mentioned that she needs to report to the captain and return his badge. She made the report so the badge was almost certainly returned.

Until the last half hour or so of the boat trip the party wore their armor. It is virtually certain that Lady Eleanor would have insisted that they wear the rings during that time. So if Lady Eleanor got the rings back it would have been minutes before the carriage showed up and distracted her. Personally I suspect that Lady Eleanor would "forget" to get the rings back, and if Karin and Leo brought it up she would ask them to keep the rings for the time being, given how much more dangerous things have gotten lately. After all, they are the aunt and uncle of her favorite student and there is a significant chance that the two of them are going to need good armor again in the upcoming months.

Rings

As Barbie says, that is needless detail at this point.

Good movies, like good writing requires knowing what to leave out, or ‘leave on the cutting room floor’ when we speak of real film.

Sometimes you will find “extended editions” of movies on disc, basically to sell more discs but the extra stuff does not wind up improving the movie.

Details

Yall feel free if I'm wrong here... but I think we all missed something big, or maybe not you decide.

Countess Orebella is a priestess, of what temple we haven't been told; but I find it suspect that neither the countess or Arch-mage Phexidis have been seen since what two days before the wedding. I suspect either the countess with/or without the help of the arch mage directly caused Eleanor's summoning to their world. This is not a case of a botched portal spell, I suspect a divine influence which is why I think the countess found something. Only explanation I can come up with at present for Eleanor going from a vr game to a RW situation. If she's not related to Frea in some way... I'll be very surprised!

Meeting the Baron and Baroness

This will be a very interesting meeting.

The tone of this whole visit will be set when Eleanor first meets them but at this point I do not know how it will pan out: Will Eleanor be the first to curtsey to them or will they be so awed that they are compelled to do so first, thus obviously establishing the social pecking order in one fell swoop.

Up to this point, it was clear those around her were her social inferiors but this will be unknown territory.

Finally, Elsbeth’s story telling answered a lot of my questions about mana stones and the commerce thereof.

So basically the adventurers guild is a state sponsored monopoly. I suspect pricing is government controlled to ensure maximum taxes and to prevent gouging too I think as mana stones are critical to ‘modern’ life via magic items. Pricing them too high would hurt the economy and possibly cause unrest.

Registering as an adventurer

Registration seems to mean she has to swear fealty to estassia.

It seems to me she will somehow never register as she is destined to be queen in her own right and swearing to a magical compact may cause a problem.

Not fealty.

WillowD's picture

You are not swearing fealty when you register with the adventurer's guild. The guild does not appear to be tied to one country. Nor is it a union, who dictates what wages are and who you can and can't work for. Basically they are professional guild that certifies the training levels of their members, provide job placement services, etc.

Fealty

Then why is the baron saying it would cause a ruckus if Avalon loses a defender?

Because she appears to be a noble or royalty.

WillowD's picture

Most countries are lucky if they have a single mage that can cast portals. And the mage is associated with the royal court and/or army. They are not wandering adventurers.

And since Lady Eleanor had at least 2 members in her party that can cast portals this makes it pretty clear that her entire party is a more powerful elite strike force than most countries can field. And since Lady Eleanor is obviously a noble or royalty and is in charge of this elite royal strike force, her country is going to try to find her.

That is not my issue

Does the magical ritual for registration, remember that her new registration badge would require a sample of blood to make, hinting that registration may require some kind of allegiance to Estassia.

Badges

I believe the ritual binding the badge to the owner is more like proof of ownership. It guarantees that the person using it is the person it belongs to. So I can't use my Mom's id to go on an adventure I'm not qualified for and get myself and others killed, as an example.

Agreed

I’m pretty sure that is correct and the worry and the kingdom putting up a fuss is probably she might stay there.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

A ruckus

I interpreted this as two different statements.

It's going to cause a ruckus in the Estassen guild because everyone who doesn't know Eleanor will only see this "noble" come in as an A rank. And why should she start at the top? Cue jealousy and resentment.

Separately, Lady Eleanor is a powerful adventurer and may be depended on for defending her home country's interests. The Baron thinks losing track of her will cause Avalon to send out search teams to find and rescue her.

I've just re-read volume 2.

WillowD's picture

I have finally decided that there are to many chapters to re-read everything from the start of volume 1. Especially considering how many times I have already done this by now.

It is every bit as awesome as it is to read a new chapter. Even more awesome, in fact, because there is no sudden jolt of suddenly seeing the kudo button and realizing you have to wait a week for the next chapter.

Thank you Elsbeth.

Fantastic so far...

This is not the first Isekai story I've read, but it is definitely one of the best. There is something about it that just draws me in and compels me to finish a chapter when I see it. Great work!

I do wonder how the meeting with some actual nobles are going to go, and if people mistaking Eleanor for a noble is a good thing in the long run.

Also, I'm curious about the world she's in. It would seem that it is a different one from both the game and the real one, but it might just be that the areas of the game are some ways away from where she is now.

Well, now I'm caught up and the waiting starts. I'm really looking forward to the next chapter!

-Winlyn

Different world

Where Eleanor is is clearly a different world from the game. The mechanics are different. Monsters have mana cores in this world; they did not in the game. That it is different from our world, is, I hope, obvious.

Mana stones

WillowD's picture

I was very surprised when Lady Eleanor said she had no use for the mana stones, barring the one from the basilisk. I remember she was wondering earlier if she could use them to power written spells (I forget the name of these things) so that mage could cast a one-time spell that is above their power limit. She would need some cores to experiment with. I could also see her wanting to experiment with creating magical devices. Or enchanting permanent ones.

Yes, I know her class is primarily a fighting class with some mage extras but I remember Lady Eleanor thinking she wanted to improve her mage capabilities now that there was no class limit insisting a trade off between fighting and mage abilities beyond the time and effort required to nurture both.

Good question...

My guess would be that she is pretty confident in gathering her own cores solo? And that she simply wanted to help the party by letting them sell the cores.

But eh, that's just a guess.

-Winlyn

Second chapter I think

BarbieLee's picture

Lady Eleanor was thinking what it took to create different strength spells. What it took in her situation was parchment, fabric, or skin. What it was written on made a difference. Dragon skin giving the biggest push and the strongest spell. Then there was the medium used for writing the spell. Ink of different mixtures, and dragon blood again being the strongest. She has dragon skin and blood. Cores weren't necessary to write magical scrolls. Keep in mind she has bailisk skin, core, poison sack, and the fluid that turns stone victims back into eatable meat. Lots of goodies for writing scrolls. Again chapter two, she now understands magical script, how it is used, and can write it.
She is a formidable warrior, and a powerful madge. Possibly everything needed to restore a kingdom and become the Queen.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Yes =)

Of course I realised that it's a different world, and I see how my wording might have seemed like I doubted that... Oops?

No, what I really meant was geographically. Obviously several things have changed so it can't be the exact same world, but since the monsters have mostly been
the same (with the exception of the cores), the locations of the game might still be there. Even if they, like the monsters, are known by different names in the part of the world she is currently in.

Did that make it more clear? I have a tendency to ramble while trying to explain things, which doesn't really help...

-Winlyn

Interesting idea

This is interesting. Eleanor never was able to buy a map in the market was she?

Actually, it seems odd that there wasn't a single map for sale in the town.

So it is possible that the geography is very similar to Magic-Life, even if the place names are all different. Of course, it is also possible that the geography is completely different, or that it is the same, but on a different continent. We will see, I hope.

I was good until 4 pm.

WillowD's picture

I only checked every hour or two to see if the next chapter was posted. Then I started checking every 15 minutes or so. I think I'll just go re-read the last two chapters while I'm waiting. I really do look forward to reading Elsbeth's Sunday treats.

Superbowl

I was really hoping the new chapter would be released before the Superbowl. As it is, I will either be elated or depressed, and either way the emotional impact of a new chapter will be muted.

Tonight

She said she would post tonight late before midnight.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna