Avenging Angel Chap. 22

Printer-friendly version

Gypsy had her sketchpad out and a clipboard with a legal pad sitting next to her on the floor of her apartment. She had come across an article of a South Korean inventor that had come up with a way to extract oxygen from seawater. The device was similar to the gimmick they used in a James Bond movie.

She had a miniature 3D model of the armor her and Patrick had built standing before her on the coffee table. She looks at the model and reaches for her sketchpad and sketch out a new suit. The old one could still work, but she and Pat will have to test the seals on the suit, while it is submerged in seawater.

It was already designed to protect the wearer from hazardous environments. So, they knew the suit could protect the wearer in a harsh environment like an ocean, but for how long? She glances back towards the article she was reading.

The principle of the design was easy to duplicate, but how far down could a wearer use it to extract oxygen? Gypsy starts sketching a new slimmer suit. The suit would have to be able to withstand shark attacks and be flexible. She couldn’t use the foam metal technique for the suit because it would add too much weight. This new suit of armor would have to be lighter.

Gypsy looks at some of the ceramics they used in the construction of the armor. She had a few other samples on her laptop somewhere. She opens her Autocad program and starts constructing a prototype suit in the program. She makes some adjustments to the design. While she was working on that design, an idea strikes her of just making a quick unit that the divers could use in an emergency.

The other suit she figures could stop up to a .50 caliber BMG round and survive a hand grenade going off near it. It would also have some of the same enhancing physical capabilities that the heavier armor would have. That includes surviving a biology attack. It wouldn’t have the same radiation protection that the heavier armor would have, but they could survive up to an hour of exposure.

Gypsy slowly drift off to sleep while working on the new design. She dreams of being on a deserted island trying to find a way off the island and get back to Florida to help the soldiers. She had limited supplies to build anything capable of taking her home. She spots a vessel off in the distance and tries to send smoke signals hoping to grab its attention, but every time a smoke cloud went up, it was blown away by the wind.

She watches as the boat gets further and further away as she keeps trying to send a sample signal hoping they would see it. After a while, the boat disappears and she is all alone on the island.

“ Good morning starshine
The earth says hello
You twinkle above us
We twinkle below
Good morning starshine
You lead us along
My love and me as we sing”

Gypsy wakes up when she hears Good Morning Starshine coming from her cellphone. She smacks it and wonders why she was laying on the living room floor. It takes her a few minutes to realize she didn’t go to bed last night and fell asleep working on the new suit.

Gypsy couldn’t believe she fell asleep on her floor. She hasn’t done that, since last year when she was studying for an exam. She heads towards the kitchen to make herself some coffee. She gets the coffee machine going and while it is brewing. She opens the box of Hostess cupcakes and takes two out.

She looks out her kitchen window and notices how nice and sunny it was. Gypsy figures since she didn’t have to be at the office, she’ll go to the beach and get some sunshine. As she gathers her items to take with her. She looks at her laptop and wonders if she wants to do some work while she’s there.

She shakes her head and heads down to her Mustang. She stops by Patrick’s apartment to see if he wants to come, but she spots his girlfriend from Pennsylvania in his apartment. She wonders when she arrived in town.

Gypsy figures the two of them probably have plans. She goes ahead and heads towards the beach by herself. She had the gauss rifle she built for protection on the backseat of her mustang covered by a blanket. After the first few times, she was attacked, she decided to carry one of her weapons with her.

She finds a nice nearby parking spot and parks. When she gets out of her Mustang, she inhales the sea air and holds it. She couldn’t believe how it smelled. The beach wasn’t crowded as she gathers her things and heads down towards the water. She was looking for a spot close to the water, but further enough she wouldn’t be bothered by the tide or waves.

Once she has her stuff set up and arranged as she likes it. Gypsy walks towards the ocean and lets the waves break against her feet. A shiver runs up her body as she steps into the cold water. She made sure to tuck securely, so no one figures out she wasn’t a genetic girl. The water felt nice as she goes further and further out into it. She only goes out till the water was up too her breasts.

She dunks her head underwater and comes back up. While Gypsy is standing there feeling the waves move her body. She scoops some water and holds it in her hand. She holds her breath and goes underwater and notices how hard it is to see out into the water. She breaks the surface and exhales. She looks up at the sky and then back underwater. It finally hits her that she needs to add some sort of sonar system to the armor. That way the wearer could tell what was around them.

While she is thinking about how to add it. She lays on her back and tries to float. She’s never been a good swimmer and has never swam in the ocean before. After several tries, she manages to float on her back.

After spending an hour swimming and goofing off in the ocean, Gypsy heads back up to her stuff and towel off. She pulls her notepad out while grabbing a cold flavored water bottle from the small cooler she brought with her. She digs through her beach bag looking for a pencil.

She takes a sip of her water and writes down some ideas that popped into her head while she was out in the water. Things she hadn’t thought about when she spent all night redesigning the old armor and creating a new lighter suit. She finishes making notes and adjusts her sunglasses. She puts her headset on and listen to some music as she gets some sun.

up
202 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Woo hoo.

WillowD's picture

Another installment in one of the Lady Dragon stories I particularly like.

This suit

Samantha Heart's picture

Is going to be a tougher chalange then the land bassed ones.

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

At some point in designing you have to step back

and declare it finished, and let other more agile minds move it forward. It is possible there will have to be two mutually incompatible designs The metal armor would probably make a good spacesuit. There is a reason you don't see flying submarines.