Night Fox Chapter 17

Printer-friendly version

Cora and Katey managed to get a hold of the Los Angeles US Marshal’s office to meet them at their office to accept their prisoners. Cora gave them the evidence they would need to prosecute Trevor McAdam and his female companion. She also suggested they check with the Salt
Lake office and check with them on the murder of the Marshal’s there.

When she and Katey dropped the perps off, they didn’t even bother to dress or remove the butt plug from Mr. McAdam’s butt. They just turned both preps over to the Marshal’s still dress like they were. Once Cora and Kathy were done in Los Angeles, they started heading back to Utah.

“Hey, Katey. I forgot to tell you that I gave one of your business cards to one of the ladies in McAdam’s place. I told her that if her or the other girl that was there needed help, to just call us.”

“Us? Are we partners now?” Katey glances over towards Cora.

“Why not? We both have a lot in common and we seem to make a good team. All you have to do is get your Private Investigators license.”

Katey thinks about it for a second. She wouldn’t mind doing this type of work and she could see where her Army training would come in handy. After all, her cousin was a former CIA agent and her older brother was on LA SWAT.

“Let me think about it. The thing is, there are still things about you I don’t know. Why do you wear the outfit you do and what’s with the mask?”

Cora thinks back to the night George took her to the sacred site to restore her mind. She had been lost inside her own mind, till the spirits helped guide her back to her body.

“I don’t know how much George told you about me. Remember that day you flew me to the hospital out of the desert?”

“Yea, I remember. You were at death’s door when George found you and contacted me to come out to fly you to the nearest hospital.”

There was no way Katey could forget that day. There had been several other bodies there. It looked like someone had been using it as their dumping grounds to rid themselves of their kills.

“Well, here is where things get weird. George and the hospital staff managed to heal my body, but I was trapped inside my mind. I had no control of my body and I couldn’t find my way out of my mind. I didn’t want to return to my body. The pain and rape I experience, I didn’t want to face it or believe that it happened. So, I refused to leave the safety of my mind.”

“I’ve heard of people experiencing something like that. Soldiers that have experienced trauma so severe that it either drives them insane or sends them inside the safety of their mind and they become vegetables.”

“That’s what happened to me. I didn’t want to come back and face what had happened to me. So, George checked me out of the hospital and took me to a sacred site that shamans of his tribe have used for centuries. Shamans of the past would take injured warriors there to heal them, both physically and spiritually.”

“I remember George telling me of the place. I’ve always wanted to explore the area, but every time I would fly over the area, my instruments would go crazy and I would start losing power. However, once I left the area, everything would start working fine again.”

“It’s the spiritual energies in that area that affected your modern electronics and such. Nothing modern will work within a mile of the place.”

“How do you know that?” Katey was curious.

“Let’s just say that the spirits that night told me.”

“So, you're saying that place is like the Bermuda triangle?”

“At certain times of the year or when a ritual is being performed there or has been performed there.”

“So, George took you there hoping he could get the spirits to help you?”

“Yes. He took me there and then called on the spirits and my own personal spirit to try to reconnect my mind with my body. See, when we are born a spirit attaches to us to help guide us through life. Sometimes, a person can feel their spirit animal or catch glimpses of their spirit animal if they know what to look for. My spirit animal is the fox, but not just any fox. My Fox guide is the fox god himself. I’m his anchor to this world.”

“What do you mean his anchor to this world?” Katey was puzzled by that.

“It means that somewhere in my family history. The Fox spirit either took human form or posse a human body and impregnated one of my ancestors. When he did that, it anchored his spirit to this plane of existences. So, if a descendant of his lives on. He’ll always exist.”

“Why would he need to do something like that? They are spirits and worshipped.”

“Not as much as they use to be. When the New World was being settled. A lot of the Native American beliefs were either stomped out by settlers or not passed down. The old ways are almost forgotten. There are only a handful of elders that still know the old ways and they are trying to pass that knowledge on to the younger generation. That includes the old beliefs of the spirits as well.”

“Wow, I didn’t know that. I mean I knew our government use to force Native Americans to give up their old ways and took their children and put them in schools to teach them English and such.”

“Well, I didn’t know that I still carried a part of the Fox god essences inside of me. So, when George perform the ceremony to call the spirits to help me. The Fox god appeared to help heal me. The Eagle spirit also appeared to help me as well. Where I belonged to Fox as one of his children, I also belonged to Eagle as well. He is my totem animal. He gave me the courage to face my fear, to not run or hide from it. He reminded me that I wasn’t meant to hide from my problems, but to soar above them and not let them ground me. Which is what happened to me. I allowed what happened to me to ground me. So, with a leap of faith and encouragement from Eagle and my Ancestor. I jumped off the cliff they had placed me and soar.”

Cora still remembers how she felt as she flew. It made her feel alive and reminded her that she was more then what she was.

“So, you belong to Fox, but the Eagle spirit is your totem? I wonder what mines is?” Katey was curious.

“Put my mask on and you’ll find out.”

Cora glances at Katey as she continued to drive down the highway. They still had several more hours before they would be back home.

Katey looks at the fox mask as it poked out of the pouch Cora had placed it in. She could see the black wooden ears the mask was made of sticking out of it. She reaches for it and lifts it out the pouch. She could feel the smooth wooden surface of the mask. It felt kind of warm as she held it.

Katey slowly raises it to her own face and when the surface of the mask touched her skin, she felt herself yanked out of her body and found herself standing in a grassy field. The sky was so clear that she loved it.

A black starry fox trots up to Katey “what is it that you are looking for child?”

“My spirit guide or totem.” Katey didn’t know if she was asking the right question.

The fox sits down and curls it tail around its body. It looks at Katey “that should be obvious to you already.”

“What do you mean it should be obvious to me? This is the first time I have ever asked what it is.”

“Is it? Think back to when you were little and were lost in the woods.”

Katey closes her eyes and thinks back to when she was ten years old. She had gone exploring in some woods near her home and got lost.
She started to cry, till she heard an owl. She had looked up at the sound and saw an owl sitting on the tree branch. It flew to another tree and she had chased after it. It did that several more times. When she finally caught up with it, she noticed that it had lead her back to her house.
When she looked where it had been, it was gone.

Katey opens her eyes and look at the Fox. It was grinning at her.

“See, you have always known what your spirit animal was. You have just forgotten about it.”

The field disappeared and Katey realizes that she was back in the car with the mask laying on her lap.

“Did you have your questioned answered for you?”

Cora felt the spiritual energies of the mask. The mask was part of her, like the suit was.

It takes Katey a few minutes to gather herself “yes, it has answered my question. My spirit guide/animal is the Owl.”

“Well, that makes sense. Your love for flying and how you can look at someone and know something isn’t right with them.”

“You could tell?” Katey looks over towards Cora

“Yes and no. I saw it in your eyes the first time I wore my suit around you and when we first met. I knew right away the Owl was your spirit animal and totem. It makes sense in a way.”

“Why do you wear that black suit?”

“Because the spirits gave it to me. When I woke-up from the ceremony George performed. I found the suit and several ancient weapons. The spirits wanted me to get justice for the people who had been left to die or had been killed and dump on Native American lands. The suit isn’t too bed. It’s made of several layers of spider silk that can stop bullets and arrows. However, I wish it could do more about the kinetic energy from a bullet or something.”

Cora was tired of recovering from getting shot.

“Maybe the spirits are trying to get you to move faster or find another way to stop someone without getting shot. You said one time that the spirits won’t allow you to use guns at all. Is there a reason why?”

“Yep, the spirits feel it is cheating using a gun. Any moron can point and fire a gun. They don’t even have to be good at it. It takes talent to use
a bow, spear or even a tomahawk. All though, there are times I wish they would let me use a gun.”

“Hey, how about I treat us to some lunch?” Katey had spotted a nice pizza place.

“Sounds good to me.” Cora pulls into the parking lot and park.

Cora and Katey head inside to stretch their legs and to grab a bite to eat.

up
251 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Interesting back story

Interesting back story regarding Cora and how she got her "other self" and suit, along with her very special weapons, old fashioned they may be.
Teaming up as an Owl and a Fox. Hmmmm?

New partners

Jamie Lee's picture

It would appear Cora and Katey are going to become partners. Both would bring a unique set of skills to the partnership, skills which served them well in capturing Trevor.

The owl and the fox would make a very good partnership. One can't be heard when flying, the other is cunning and hard to catch. Plus, both have come to enjoy each other's company.

Others have feelings too.