Night Fox Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version

Cora wakes-up and stumbles into her kitchen to fix herself a cup of coffee. The business with Trevor McAdam and his girlfriend. They made sure that the tattoo of rear entry was permeant. She was to get with Katey later today for lunch to talk about her being her business partner. They worked well as a team.

After she makes her coffee the way she likes it and fixing herself some breakfast. She sits down at her computer and finishes up the paperwork on the case. Once everything was done about the case, including the black book she had stolen. She locks the book and hard drives up in her safe.

She sits there and stares out the window as she watches the sunrise. She drinks her coffee slowly and enjoyed the view. As she sits there and watches the sunrise, she wonders what new case will come her way.

After finishing her coffee. Cora gets dress and goes to check on George. She hasn’t had a chance to talk with him lately. She knocks on his door and waits. She knocks again, but he doesn’t answer. She takes her key out and unlocks the door and heads inside.

“George, its Cora. Are you home?” Cora heads towards the kitchen to see if George has had his morning coffee.

The coffee pot was empty, which meant he hasn’t fixed his coffee. She heads towards his bedroom to see if he was still in bed, but he wasn’t there. Cora pulls her mask out and takes a sniff. When she inhales, she could smell the scents he picks up from the hospital and the people he has interacted with. After concentrating on his scent, she could tell he hasn’t been home lately. If nothing else, the scent was a couple of days old.

She rushes out of George’s house and back to her place to change into her suit. She grabs her weapons and heads back to George’s place.
She kneels close to the ground and takes another sniff to track him. She picks up on four others scents she doesn’t recognize. She tracks the scent to a vehicle. It was a couple of days old, which meant she was going to have a hard time following it.

She starts following the scent. It was nice the spirits gave her a way to just lock onto one scent, even if it was days old and covered up by other scents. She follows it to an old dirt road and after several hours. She comes to an old mining facility. She approaches carefully and stealthy, using the terrain and some of the old buildings and equipment that had been abandoned for cover. After a few minutes, she spots two black SUV’s, like the one her and Katey had taken out. She looks around more and notices three men with guns, guarding the place. She proceeds quickly to get to a position where she could take them out, without being seen. She takes her bow and fires one arrow striking one guard.
Before the other guard can react or warn anyone. She fires a second arrow striking him, then a third arrow taking out the third person.

She moves quickly into the abandoned structure. There was a person coming towards her, so Cora takes her spear and smacks the guy across his face. The force from her swing and the spear smacking the guys face, sends him flying backward to the ground.

She moves deeper into the building. She hears movement behind her and just as she turns around to strike the person. She feels several sharp pains as her body gets hit by bullets. She grits her teeth as she lets fly one of her obsidian knives that sink into his throat. The person was wearing body armor.

Several guys start firing towards her as she ducks and take cover. A sly smile appears on her face as she tosses a smoke bomb to smoke up the area. When the cloud makes it hard for them to see her. She moves quickly into the smoke and fires her bow. Her arrows hit several of the targets she was aiming for. She keeps moving forward before all the smoke disperses. Several bullets hit her body, but she manages to take down the people firing at her.

“Ow!” As Cora limps towards the room they were guarding so heavily.

As she enters, she finds George tied to a chair with his shirt torn off. She catches her breath as she notices how badly he had been beaten and tortured.

“GEORGE!” As Cora runs forward to free him.

She takes her knife and cut his bonds. She couldn’t believe what they did to him. She places her fingertips at his neck to check his pulse. It was there, but barely. She lifts him up in her arms and moves as quickly as she can down to the SUV’s. The keys were still in them, as she lays him down in the passenger seat and secures him. She climbs into the driver seat and backs the SUV up and heads back the way she came. She knew where the hospital he worked at was and once she hit asphalt she floors it.

She didn’t care about stoplights or State Troopers once they started chasing her. She needed to get George to the hospital. She glances at the gauges and notices she was running low on gas. She makes it to the emergency room entrance, just as the SUV runs out of gas.

Cora hops out of the SUV and carries George into the emergency room examination rooms. She lays George down on the bed as several nurses and doctors come in to see who she had.

“Quick, he’s been beaten and tortured.” Cora steps back away from George and allows herself to be escorted out, so the medical personnel can work.

She notices out in the emergency room, were police and State Troopers waiting for her. George brought her here once and since her identity was still concealed by her mask. She heads out another way while dodging hospital security and the police. She makes her way to the top of the hospital and jumps off, spreading the glider wings on her suit and glide away from the hospital. The cool night air rushes by her as she glides through the air. She glides a far distance, before landing. It was going to take her the rest of the night to make it to the reservation’s broader.

She didn’t mind the night, it was her environment. She jogs the rest of the way home and by sunrise, she arrives at the trading post. It was just outside the reservation border. She was feeling tired and thirsty as she removes her mask. She walks inside the trading post to buy a liter of cold bottled water and some snacks. She grabs a sandwich to replenish what calories she burned.

Once she is feeling better and energized. She walks back to her place to get her car and head back to the hospital to check on George. By the time she arrives, the police have left.

As she walks in, she spots Carol at the reception desk “Hey Carol, what room is George in?”

Carol looks up when she hears a familiar voice. She spots Cora as she walks towards the counter.

“He’s in ICU 3 right now, Cora. How did you know he was in the hospital?” Carol had a puzzled look on her face.

“I got a call from a mysterious person saying George had been hurt and that they took them here to his hospital.” Cora had to lie to cover herself.

“Well, it’s a good thing they got George here when they did. If they hadn’t brought him, he would be dead. Whoever tortured and beat him, caused so much internal injury. That he would have drown in his own blood.” The staff that knew George was worried about him and wonder who would do such a thing to him.

“Do you mind if I go up and just peek in on him?”

“Go ahead, but he won’t hear you. We have him in a medically induced coma.”

“Thanks.” Cora heads over towards the elevators and takes it up to the floor where the ICU unit was.

Cora stands outside the unit George was in and just looked at his bandaged face. They had several machines hooked up to him, keeping him alive. She wishes that there was more she could do for him. She had no idea who those men were that had taken him or what they wanted from him. All she could guess was they worked for Trevor McAdam.

She stays for awhile just watching over George. Since there wasn’t anything she could do for him. She leaves the hospital and heads back to where she tracked George too. The other SUV was still there. None of the people she stabbed or shot with her bow and arrow were still alive. She searches their pockets and only finds a few items. She does find a key to a motel not too far from the reservation. She pockets it and heads back down to her car. She makes a call to a tow truck friend of hers to come out and tow the SUV back to her place.

She leaves some money for him along with the key and heads out towards the motel she had the key for. As she approached the place, it looks like it has seen better days. She slowly drives through the parking lot and finds the room. She parks in front of the room and heads inside. She had her knife in her hand just in case there were others inside.

She slowly opens the door and heads inside. The room was a mess. She looks around and finds a tablet someone had left behind with a duffel bag full of money and a few weapons. She looks around some more and finds nothing else. Just as she is working out of the room, she spots a cellphone. She grabs that and heads back towards her place with everything.

up
246 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Smart cookie

She takes all that has any value.

Re: Smart cookie

Yep, they won't be coming back for it, and their boss Trevor MacAdam is unlikely to, unless he can somehow get free again. After the evidence about him that was handed over to the US Marshals at the beginning of Chapter 17, that would make those odds very long indeed.