Who Was I - 32

Printer-friendly version

In which the preliminary PI report is received, Stacy gets her memory block removed, and lunch happens. If you look carefully, something else might happen too.

Who Was I

By: Annette MacGregor

"Okay Bill, what's this all about?"

"Nick, it actually started with my missing memory. We've found out what caused it. And a person did it."

"What? You're talking something criminal now Bill."


Part 32   Tuesday evening (14-Dec-2006)

"Bill, Jane sent us a preliminary report, and her cover letter said she has a lead that might let her get the rest of the information she’s sure is to be found." She handed me the report at this.

"Wow Becky. What she's found is pretty interesting. It's obvious how he got access to the school now, and why they didn't think anything unusual was going on in the class. While I'm glad we were the only kids at our school involved, it concerns me about how many other kids were involved in the classes."

"Me too Bill. I don't think something like that could happen today, with all the extra checks and balances in place just to protect the schools. What I find most interesting are the holes in the report."

"You mean like what happened to him and what happened to the other kids?"

"Yes. While your school still had records of who you were, the other schools records of the classes have been purged."

"I wonder what happened to all of them, and him for that matter. Even this much later, I think he needs to be prosecuted!"

"I'm not sure why the docs haven't reported anything yet, to be quite honest. Unless they all assume someone else reported it." her voice trailed off at the end. "Bill, I think we should talk to Nick about this don't you? He'd know who to contact."

I nodded at the obviousness of that. "Good point and he's known us long enough to know we're not crackpots. I mean, would you believe any of this if you hadn't been there the whole time?"

"No, you're right there Bill. Why don't you see if you can get some of his time, off the record as it were?"

I nodded. "That's a good idea. To some extent, he started me on the trip to finding my memory."

"That's right; he's the one that drug you off to talk to Flo at the party. I'd be curious to hear his take on some of this."

# - # - # - # - #

The next morning

"Lieutenant Popodoculas' office, may I help you?"

"Yes, this is a friend of his, Bill Wyman. Is the Lieutenant available for a few minutes?"

"Let me see if he's available right now sir, one moment please."

"Hello Bill, how're you doing fella?"

"Okay Nick, I was wondering if you were going to get time for lunch today."

"Bill, what's this? You never try to get me out for lunch. Is something up?"

"Maybe, recall Becky asking you about a PI a few weeks ago?"

"Yea, is this related?"

"Maybe Nick. I've got some questions if you're able to get out."

"Let's see. Hmmm. Yea, I think I can make it out for a bit. How about I meet you at Carmine's at a quarter of noon?"

"I'll see you there Nick. Thanks!"

# - # - # - # - #

At Lunch

"Bill, how've you been?"

"Okay. Nick, thanks for seeing me on such short notice."

"You sounded a little bit stressed. In any event, it's been a while since we had a chance to catch up. It's not like we had much time at the Stevens' party."

"No, and it's actually related to what we talked about at the party in a strange sort of way."

"You've got to be kidding. Let's get some food and you can explain how one of Shelly's parties might cause you to be asking for my help. You know I won't participate in practical jokes any more."

"Of course not Nick. Once when you were a patrolman was enough, though you will admit that the expression on Flo's face was worth the gag."

"Maybe."

We made small talk, about kids and paying for college and such while we ordered and waited for our lunches to show up.

"Okay Bill, what's this all about?"

"Nick, it actually started with my missing memory. We've found out what caused it. And a person did it."

"What? You're talking something criminal now Bill."

"Maybe so Nick, that's sorta what I'm asking you about." I went on and described the high points of what we'd found out, including the fact that Ms. Dickenson hadn't been able to find any traces of the doctor.

"Well Bill, if you'd brought this to me officially; I'd have no choice but open an investigation. As it stands, you have two choices as I see it. The first is to make the complaint officially. Then, we'd do an investigation and be interviewing people all over, and an awful lot of details will end up in the public eye, in all likelihood, seeing as how it hits the school district and potentially so much else. In addition, it's possible that since it appears to have happened about 40 years ago, it’s very likely that even if we can verify everything you've told me, we still couldn't prosecute, assuming we could find the perpetrator. Your other choice is to let Jane do her thing. She's one of the best detectives I've ever known, and only left the force about 15 years ago due to politics. If the information is there to be found she'll find it. She can also go places and do things we can't do wearing a badge. Of course, even if you go this route you can make things official if needed."

"Thanks Nick. I'd no idea she was that good."

"She's better than that really Bill. I know the FBI was recruiting her before she left the force, and as far as I know, they've not really stopped. I'll also get word to her that if she needs any of our resources on the QT, they'll be available."

"I really appreciate this Nick."

"Just let me know how things turn out, okay?"

"Sure."

# - # - # - # - #

Friday afternoon

Well, that was easier than I'd expected. I'm not sure why, but I keep expecting to have my mind stretched, or notions challenged. I guess it's happened some times, but today we just talked. She thought it was good that Karen had gotten her memories back. Oh - I forgot to mention the completing sentences bit. Well, that's probably not important. I wonder if Becky's heard anything more from Ms. Dickenson. That'd be awesome.

# - # - # - # - #

That evening

"Becky, anything new from Jane Dickenson?"

"No, I really didn't expect anything else this week. I didn't have time to talk to you on Wednesday. What did Nick have to say?"

"Well, we've two choices, go the official route, where it's likely to get blown sky high in the public, even though the crime was committed so long ago nothing would likely be done. He even indicated that there's a chance that no crime was committed based on laws back then."

"That's horrible Bill! What's the other option?"

"He said we could continue down the private path, and that Jane's probably the best detective he's ever known."

"Okay. I guess since you're telling me this, you've decided at least for now to go with plan B."

"I think so. We're all recovering and while I'd like to nail the guy, without more names, there's no immediate action we can take. I'd rather not get the school in trouble at this late date. I believe they were probably acting in what they believed was our best interest. And, we did end up doing pretty well in school."

"There is that. Okay, lets wait for Jane's next report."

# - # - # - # - #

Monday morning

"Well Bill, I guess I'm going to do this now. I just hope the impact isn't to painful."

"When I did it, pain wasn't the issue, mostly I was tired."

"Oh, I don't mean physically. It's more mental pain I'm worried about. I'm wondering the effect all those memories will have, and how they'll impact me on a day by day basis. I've been reading my journals Bill, and there's more there than I ever expected. To read some of my teen journals, I think it's a wonder Tim ever asked me to go out in college, much less asked me to marry him."

"I'm so sorry Stacy. You were always the quietest of the three of us as I think back. Though knowing how much my family has meant to me, I'm sure you'd not have avoided, did you say Tim?"

"Of course not! But, it's things like that. You now remember me. I'm wondering what I'll remember that bothers me."

"Stacy, it is your decision. So far, I've not recalled anything I couldn't deal with. There are some things that have disturbed me a little, but no real surprises. The biggest surprise was hearing about our summer together from my Aunt Rachel." Stacy nodded, I guess she'd read her diaries about the time again as well. "But other things have been much less disturbing. Here's an example. At our prom, I made a point of congratulating every member of the decorations committee except one person." She looked at me a little strangely.

"Why one Bill?"

"It was Karen. And, as I recall it now, it was like I was avoiding her." Best not say I was avoiding Stacy too right now. She'll probably recall soon anyway, and then we can talk. "Let's go on in Stacy. I don't know about you, but it's getting chilly out here."

"Okay Bill."

Stacy's session was a little different from Karen’s. It was almost as if she had been weakening the compulsions herself. Hmm. I wonder if all of her journal reading actually helped here. I wonder what Dr. Wong's going to ask her to confirm to her that her memories are back. I suspect graduation won't be all that useful, as she probably documented that well in her journals.

"How are you feeling now Mrs. Wrangle?"

"I'm tired, but I don't feel as wiped out as Bill and Karen had lead me to believe."

"It was a little different. You seemed to be helping me more than they were able to, almost as if your subconscious was aware of what we were trying to do and was chipping away from the other side."

"That's good, I think."

"I do. It's an hint that maybe you'll find it easier to assimilate your memories than your friends." Turning to me she continued. "You haven't been having any problems have you?"

"I wouldn't call them problems but there is one strange bit."

"Really?"

"Last week at lunch, Karen and I finished each other's sentences two different times. The first might have been a coincidence. But the second Stacy made a note of."

"Hmmm. Are you sure the three of you are not related?"

I looked at Stacy. "Not to the best of my knowledge. Why?"

"Well, that and several other things you've mentioned seem to only normally happen with twins, triplets and the like. I'll keep looking." She turned back to Stacy. "Well, I believe you were keeping journals or diaries starting in about fourth grade, right?" At Stacy's nod, she continued. "Have you been looking back over the old ones recently?"

"Yes I have. Both to look for clues as to what happened, but also to see what all I'd forgotten. I found a pattern though."

"You did?"

"Yes, I seemed to mention Bill and Karen periodically in my journals, but didn't remember the events. On the other hand, when I mentioned other folks, I could usually put a face to the name if I thought, and some of the events were very clear in my memories."

"Well, that's consistent with what Mr. Wyman and Ms. Stewart reported. Do you recall Mr. Wyman's five year old birthday party?"

"I'm not sure. Wait, yes I do. That's the one Karen and I gave Lee her Bozo the Clown! We didn't want to, but our mommies wanted us to."

I looked at her a little strangely. "Mrs. Wrangle, think about what you just said."

"I said that Karen and I gave Bill a clown and that our..." her voice dropped off at that. "No, I said Lee and I called him a her. That's what you mean wasn't it?"

"Yes. You might want to think about it a little. But, I think you'll agree that you remember things. You're welcome to come back and talk to me if you need to."

"Thank you doctor."

# - # - # - # - #

A little while later over a cup of coffee

"Sorry about that slipup Bill."

"No, it's what you remembered, and it is in line with a lot of other things like that summer between fourth and fifth grade."

"That was a wonderful summer Bill. I wonder how things would have turned out if he hadn't interfered."

"I really don't know Stacy. I just don't know. I wouldn't change it now mind you. I love Becky and the kids!"

"That's obvious Bill, you've a real close family! It's very lucky. I just wish Karen had been able to have a family too."

"I think she's used the kids in the shows as a surrogate family Stacy."

"Maybe, but it's not the same. Maybe we can help."

"That's a thought."

# - # - # - # - #

Tuesday morning

"Hi kiddo. Ready to go?"

"Sure dad. I'm really glad exams were over early this year! I'd hate to still be here on the 22nd like some kids."

"I hear that, let's load up and get on the road." Ruth and I made a quick time of getting what she was bringing home for the holidays into the car, and we were off in good time.

"Dad, how come you're down here so early this year? You usually show up and we do lunch before hitting the road."

"I've other plans for lunch kiddo."

"Oh?"

I decided to pull her leg a bit. "Yes, I've actually got a date."

"You and mom going out for lunch dad. What's unusual about that?"

"Oh, not your mom." I heard her take a sharp breath, and figure that was probably almost enough. "Well, actually with two very nice ladies."

"Two." I could almost hear her mind making the connection. "You're seeing the two friends from your childhood, aren't you dad."

"Got it in one. We've been meeting for lunch on Tuesdays since we met the first time with your mother's help."

"That's neat dad. What do you have in common after all these years?"

"You mean besides the fact we were all missing memories of the same period?"

"Ummm, yea dad."

"Well, we all have similar holes in the backs of our heads."

"All of you! How much more has been going on at home in the past few weeks?"

"Oh, this and that. Your mother and I didn't want to disturb you while you were finishing up your paper and studying for finals, since things were going more smoothly than one might have expected." I went on to briefly go over many of the things we'd learned, and also what Jane Dickenson had had to say in her preliminary report.

"Wow dad, that is all very amazing. It might also at least partially explain why that guy never published anything else. I wonder what happened to him. More, I wonder who the other kids were, and what happened to them."

"So do we Ruth."

"So, how goes the memory searches. I've noticed you haven't needed me to come relieve mom for any more memory sessions. How've they been going?"

"They're not needed any more."

"You got your memories back?"

"Yes. Seems like all of them."

"So, you really remember all that happened?"

I went on to describe how it seemed to work, and the periodic dreams that seemed to fill in details.

"That's amazing dad. I really feel like I've missed a lot here."

"Well, that happened two weeks ago yesterday. The last two weeks, Karen and Stacy have gotten their memories back too."

"That's just amazing dad."

"You'll get a chuckle out of your brother's reaction to the hole in the back of my head."

"I bet he wanted to see how big it was."

"Almost, he asked if he could put his finger in there."

"Gross!"

"Pretty much, but this is your brother we're talking about. And, you were not told, because I was out of surgery and healing before anyone but your mother knew. And, as you see, I'm fine now."

"Okay dad. I guess I'll accept it this time, but in the future, please tell me, even durring finals. Please?"

"We will Ruth. Sorry about this time. We didn't intend to hurt you by leaving you out."

"I understand dad."


To Be Continued… What's for lunch? What was in the PI report that we don't know yet? When will we get the final report? Where did the doc go? Do the police need to be brought into this? Can they do anything?
 
Author’s Note: Thanks for all of your comments! They've really helped me, and have encouraged me to keep going on this story.

up
85 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I...

I feel horrible for poor Leslie, his/her life was turned upside down by that wicked doctor. It's confirmed in my mind, even the girls refer to Bill as a girl and as Lee. That's so sick... it's so wrong... jeez this is so hard to read, but I'll keep on trying... in the hopes that they'll find peace soon.

 

    I just got to be me :D

 

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

What That Doctor Did To The Kids Was Truly Evil

I do not care that it actually helped them out, using them in some plot and possibly planning to "off" them afterwards makes him the equal of a terrorist!!
Now let's hope that Jane can shed some light upon everything without getting hurt herself.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

It was a different age

I really liked how you touched on how way-back when the nefarious doctor was conducting his experiments what he was doing might not have been a crime. What more from sociality's point of view what he did would have been seen as a positive! However we know today. He was very lucky not to have caused serious to permanent impairment or pushed Lee and the girls into depression or suicide like many of the so called attempts to help those "challenged" did.
The Three Musketeers did beat the odds. The question now is what changed the doctor's mind and what made him stop? It seems to have something to do with how incredible close those three are together, almost like telepathy. Is that it? Did he discover they shared a telepathic voice and that scared him somehow? Wonderful story!!!!
hugs!
grover

Who Was I 32

I wonder how Stacy will react now her memories are restored. Will she start finishing Karen's and Bill's sentences too, or is she somehow linked differently.

I wonder how much Bill is hiding, not just from others, but from himself. He is happily married, and it is very obvious he is a family man. I wonder how much conflict he has between his past, his present and what he desires for the future. Bill seems very quiet on his feelings.

As always, I look forward to more.

Hugs

Karen