Who Was I - 13

Printer-friendly version

In which Bill makes plans, and gets ready for things, and even gets a surpise note.

Who Was I

By: Annette MacGregor


Part 13   Monday Afternoon (30-Oct-06)

I was lucky to get through to Dr. Flynn's office first thing and just as she's said, she'd saved a spot for me. I guess just before lunch is a good time. "Now, where is that phone book?" I said to myself, as I found it, and thumbed through looking for my old elementary school. It's a good thing it wasn't hit by the school consolidations 15-20 years ago. Some other areas have ended up with major overcrowding these days due to shortages of space. I'm glad they decided to just close the top floors of our schools then when the enrollment picked back up, they just had to renovate and we still have nice class sizes. Now, where's that phone number... There we go!

"Good Morning, Bayside Elementary, how may I direct your call?"

"I'm not sure. This is Bill Wyman. I was a student there, back in the mid '60s, and I was trying to find out some information on some enrichment classes I took."

"Well, Mr. Wyman, requests like that have to go through the Board of Education, for two reasons. First to make sure you're who the person you claim your are, and more practically, the records themselves. We only retain records here in the school for ten years after a student leaves. After that, they are packed up and sent to the Board for distribution."

"Thank you for your help. Is there anyone in particular I should ask for at the Board, when I try to get through there?"

"You'd probably be best talking to either the Superintendent or his Deputy. They're the ones that would have to approve release of records."

"Again, thank you. You've been very helpful."

"You're welcome Mr. Wyman." She said, as she hung up.

Well, guess I'll have to go over and see what I can find out. No time this morning, if I want to get any work done before going to see Dr. Flynn.

# - # - # - # - #

Later

Whew. That's close, I said to myself as I walked up to the Doctor's office. It wouldn't do to be late.

"Hello, I've got an 11:30 with Dr. Flynn I believe. I'm Bill Wyman."

"Yes Mr. Wyman. She just checked to see if you were here yet. I'll let her know you're here. It should only be a moment." I saw her page the Doctor, and then she looked up. "Dr. Flynn will be right out."

"Hello Mr. Wyman. Won't you come on back?" Dr. Flynn said, as she indicated I should follow her back to the chatting room as I liked to think of it.

As we walked, I responded "Sure. Thanks for seeing me today."

She smiled at that. After what you saw on Friday, I was expecting to see you today. How can I help you? Has something new come or are you having trouble dealing with the report?"

"Actually, my wife and I went and talked with my parents about that time. On thing that's disturbing us both, is that they don't seem to recall anything that was really strange back then. They did give us some information about more events from my past that I didn't recall. And, I'm starting to follow up on one of them. Oh, here are the notes Becky took during our chat, and her reactions." I handed Becky's notebook, opened to Saturday's section. I watched her skim the notes glancing up a time or two.

"Interesting Mr. Wyman. Does this fit in with your report, or why you came in today?"

"Actually, yes. If that's basically what was happening back when I was a kid from my parent's perspective, we think we may need my own memories to find out what happened. And, ummm. I guess that leads me to what I really wanted to talk about. I know Flo says that Dr. Wong has a good reputation. But Becky and I would both be happier if there was a way we could be surer that memories that come out are really that, and not something that she suggested, even accidentally. Is there any way you know of to handle that?"

"Well Mr. Wyman, I've actually done some digging in that area and one piece of several of the protocols is the inclusion of an active observer. It appears that Dr. Wong is using her recording apparatus to reduce the need for one, but you could see if she could work with one."

"What do you mean by an observer? A third person in the room?"

"Something like that. Usually it's someone acceptable to both parties. This observer usually sits outside the room, and observes through one-way glass or in some other way sits where the client cannot see the observer. The observer can make notes on what is said, but doesn't generally have, authority isn't the right word but the right one escapes me now. Well, the observer generally plays a passive role like the recording apparatus. You might suggest allowing the observer the ability to stop the session at any point - principally if the observer believes that the practitioner, in this case Dr. Wong, is leading the client, yourself."

"Hmm. Why just abort? Why not suggest things to say or interrupt in general to let things continue."

"From what I know, either of those could be disruptive. The observer can suggest things before or better after. But the literature suggests that memory recall techniques are most effective when only one person speaks with the subject."

"Okay. Assuming Dr. Wong agrees to an observer, who would make a good one?"

"That's a bit more difficult to answer. Some of the protocols use a second professional. A few use a friend of the subject. Due to scheduling difficulties, the first rarely occurs in solo practice, but is more common in larger group practices. Your wife might be a good Observer, based on these notes, if she can follow whatever rules you and Dr. Wong can agree upon."

"I see. I hope so, but she can't get off work every day. I guess I'll have to think on it a bit." I thought a minute. "Do you think I'm doing the right thing in chasing my memories?"

"Mr. Wyman. Only you can answer that question. I'm here to help you when you need, either with information or in helping you deal with things you learn."

"Thanks Dr. Flynn."

"Is there anything else I can help you with today Mr. Wyman?"

"No, I don't think so. Thanks for what you've told me though."

"That's why I'm here. Shall we keep our regular appointment on Friday?"

"I think so. I'm not sure how things will go on Wednesday with Dr. Wong."

"Have a nice day Mr. Wyman, and I'll see you on Friday." She said, as she walked me to the door, returning Becky's notebook. "You don't want to forget this."

I laughed. "No Becky would shoot me. She calls that her 'case memory'."

Dr. Flynn smiled at that, and turned back to her office. I headed off for home. "Well, I'd best get cracking on that design. Don't want to get behind schedule on this new project. I'm glad it's mostly off site."

# - # - # - # - #

That Evening

"Any luck with the School this morning Bill?" said Becky, as she started getting ready for bed.

"Sorta. I found out I need to go to the Board of Ed, rather than the school directly ‘cause it's been too long. I also found out I should talk to either the Superintendent or his deputy since one of them would have to approve the release of the records. Oh, and I have to take identification to prove I'm me."

"That's promising. You'd best take the same kinda documents we had to haul in for our new Driver's Licenses. I had a thought today. We could do some investigation to find out about that missing sister of yours."

"How? I'm not going to ask my parents. If she died back then, it's obvious that they don't want to talk about it. And, I don't recall any pictures of one in mom's albums. It's not like they removed them either. Remember going through them last Christmas? There weren't any holes in the pages."

"That's a good point. But, maybe we can check on birth records through the registrar. You and your brother were both born in the same hospital, so your birth is recorded in the same place. Odds are, your sister would have been too. All we have to do is see if we can find any other children your parent's might have had."

"Ahhh. So spend hours going through the records huh."

"I'm afraid so, but it’s the only thing that came to mind. I'd guess you don't need to look at births after 5th grade, since you remember that. And, for the kinda comments your aunt made, you probably don't have to go back more than about 7 years. She said little girl, not toddler or baby. I can't imagine she meant younger than 3! And, since your parents were only married about 10 months before you were born, you don't have to worry about it being an older sister, I don't think."

"Wow, you really did think about this didn't you?"

"Sure did. Do you think you can look at it this week?"

"Unfortunately no. I need to work on my current project, that's why it'll be next week before I can get to the Board of Ed too."

"Okay. Did you get a chance to talk with Dr. Flynn about the memory project?"

"Actually, yes. She suggested the use of an observer during the sessions."

"An observer? You mean a stranger would watch this happen?"

"Not exactly, but it sounded like a friend or family member might be acceptable. The observer would mostly just observe, and recognize when the shrink was leading the subject so they could all know that the memory retrieved were suspect. But, Dr. Flynn suggested that the observer also be able to cause the session to be stopped at any point. As I understand it, if the observer were to hear leading questions or guidance from the doc, he or she could tell the doc to abort the session."

"That might work. I might be able to get some time off occasionally, but not weekly nor on Wednesday mornings. Let me think a bit while we finish getting done here."

I nodded at that.

"Bill, I think I know something that would work, if you can make it swing. First, I don't want to bring more folks into the picture." I nodded at this. "So, what I'm suggesting is seeing if you can move the session to first thing on Monday mornings. I should be able to get off some of them, and if the doctor will accept, Ruth could maybe observe some. She doesn't have a class until about 1:45 on Mondays, so you could get her down there after the sessions."

"Interesting thought. Ruth did say she wanted to help. That might just work. Let me talk to Dr. Wong on Wednesday, and see what she has to say. Do you think you can get off and come with me on Wednesday? Meeting you might help her decide in favor of the plan. We might even be able to get started on that safe place she mentioned if she agrees."

"I'll see what I can do Bill. I can't just get off easily you know!"

"I know. Just wanted you to have the choice there. Night."

"G'night" She said snuggling down to go to sleep.

# - # - # - # - #

Late Tuesday (31-Oct-06 Halloween) evening

"Hey Dad, you still awake?" Ruth sent via IM.

"Hey kid. Good party?"

"Yea Dad. Got time to chat now?"

"Not really. I need to get a good night's sleep before seeing the Memory shrink in the morning."

"Okay, give me a call early afternoon. Talked to my professor this evening at the party. He came as a stork if you can believe it! But, he told me some stuff that might relate to your issue."

"Really? Now you have my curiosity. I'll call you tomorrow by 1:00. Okay?"

"See ya dad."

"Bye".


To Be Continued… What did Ruth find out? Will Bill get anything from the School? Will things work out in the morning with Dr. Wong? Will we ever get anywhere with this story? (Yes).
 
Author’s Note: Thanks for all of your comments! They really help me, and encourage me to keep going on this story.

up
66 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Who Was I 13

Ruth seems to still want to take an active role, even though she is back at uni. Will be interesting to see what she has discovered.

I look forward to more

Hugs

Karen

A slow burn mystery

kristina l s's picture

It's building bit by bit to some possibly troubling news for Bill and the family. I guess being here we have certain ideas of where it's coming from... and who's not telling what they might. Looking forward to seeing exactly where you take it.

Kristina

Who was I

Still a nice pace of disclosure and I'm not getting too antsy about what is going on. His family is all behind him so that is good, but his parents are still not off the hook. There is still some unanswered questions concerning his childhood and sister. Wonderful little mystery you've got for us!
hugs!
grover

The Mystery

You shown us bit of a interesting past. The only thing I like to see is more of the rest of the family

The rest of the family

I thought about having a big - single episode chat between Bill, Becky and Bill's parents, and drag out the information there. But decided a quick synopsis kept things moving faster and, I wasn't sure I could keep the conversation sounding "natural" rather than an interrogation. I've not decided whether a visit to Aunt Rachel is in order, nor have I decided what, if any input Bill's younger brother whill be allowed to have. As to the Jock son and youngest daughter. Hey, I'm juggling an awful lot of people for my first story right now. I have to keep referring back to my "cast of characters" to remember which doctor is which! And in one episode, I even got Bill's name mixed up with the doc.

In any event. You'll be seeing more of Ruth in future Episodes. Who else do you WANT to see more of? Should I include the pet hamster "Arachest" ? :-) (just kidding)

Thanks for the comment.

Phrances