Who Was I - 12

Printer-friendly version

In which the family chats here there and everywhere, some information is exchanged, and plans are made.

Who Was I

By: Annette MacGregor


Part 12   Saturday Afternoon (28-Oct-06) - on the way home from Bill's Parents

"Well Bill, that was illuminating, don't you think?"

"Ummm. I dunno Becky, it was mostly just more stories of stuff I don't remember. How's that different from anything else?"

"Well, I see a couple of differences here. First, there's confirmation and a bit more information about your baseball playing. It seems you were reluctant to start playing in 3rd grade, and may as well have not been playing to hear them tell it. Your dad sounded a bit disappointed that you didn't seem very interested, but in 4th grade, you seemed more interested and he was happier. He also confirmed that you really were more interested in 5th grade and became a star player! I'd say that's information. That points to something changing. They also talked about the special class you and two friends got to take in 3rd and 4th grade. They said you and the two girls were such big friends that you were called the three musketeers ‘cause where one was, you found the other two. They said your friendship started before kindergarten! Your folks sounded a bit surprised when the three of you seemed to break up during 4th grade though. In any event, maybe we can find them and compare notes." I could almost hear her ticking down a list in her head. "Then, there's that class itself."

"What about the class. Sounded like a special enrichment class to me."

"Bill, you weren't listening between the lines. Yes you were all tested, in your case for special ed 'cause you were flunking. And you flunked that test!" She laughed at her little joke.

"Yea, yea.” I’d heard it several times before from my folks what is it with people. “What does that have to do with things?"

"Well, a couple of things. First, enrichment classes weren't all that common back then. I know my school didn't have any. And second, I can't believe they'd have one that ran across two or more years. Even today, the enrichment classes tend to mix around and not necessarily be the same. And can you imagine a class with only three kids?"

"Well, I guess not. Ruth's pull out classes usually had at least a half dozen kids and I don't think this school is any bigger than the one I was in. Ginny's are bigger than Ruth's were, but I kinda figured that was just the way our schools have been dumbing down, and letting more kids qualify. I guess my class sounds different. I wonder if there will be any records."

"We can probably find out Bill. But this gives us a lot more information. Maybe I'd better start a journal on the information we pick up, so we don't forget any. There's no telling when some bit of information will help us figure this out. I know you're not, and I'm certainly not up to remembering all of the facts to come up with the answer like all the detectives in the novels."

"No, you're right to not trust my memory about that time frame, but it's pretty good since then, isn't it?"

"Yes Bill. You've amply proven over the years. That's why I like to be on your trivia team! I guess it's more for my benefit. But I don't think it'll hurt."

"You think we should tell Ruth any more? I'm of mixed feelings there Becky. She's such a wonderful kid, and so insightful. But I don't want to worry her."

"Hmm. Well, if we don't tell her something, she'll probably spend time digging to try to find it, time better spent with her studies. Why don't you to go chat a bit and let her read a copy of the report from the Neurologist. That's got most of the information that's concrete. It might be enough to satisfy her curiosity without overwhelming her like the whole pile did us. She's had a day to get used to some of it, so maybe the details will not hit so hard. Who knows, she may think of something we can use!"

"Okay. I guess so. I'll let her read it tonight while you convince Ginny to get to sleep. Craig'll probably be playing games or be surfing. Won't take long and I'll answer more questions tomorrow in the car when I run her back to the Uni."

"Sounds like a plan." She said, and then continued "I just love it when a plan comes together."

That got a chuckle out of me. "Right Colonel. I don't think it's all coming together yet, maybe eventually. And I certainly hope we don't have to go to the extremes of the A-Team! I'd like to avoid the bullets if you don't mind."

"Ummm. Yea, that'd be a good thing Bill."

# - # - # - # - #

That evening

"Ruth, you got a minute? I found something surfing the other day you might find interesting."

"Sure Dad."

When we got back to my office, I continued. "Ruth, I'm afraid that was a bit of a fib about finding something."

"I kinda figured Dad. You usually just mail them to me. So, is this about your trip to visit grandma and grandpa?"

I laughed at that. "No slipping anything by you is there Ruth. Yes, it's related. Have a seat." I said indicating the chair.

"I guess this is more serious than you let on in the car yesterday isn't it dad?" she said as she sat down.

"Here, read it for yourself." I said, as I handed her a copy of the report which Flo had given us. She was reading, and several times looked up at me."

"This is heavy stuff dad! You were asking the grands about stuff weren't you?"

"In a way, we were more talking about things that went on back around the time I lost my memory, or to be more accurate, when I don't recall anything."

"That's my dad, always trying to be accurate!"

I laughed at her rejoinder. "Okay then, any quick questions about that now? I'd rather go into most of it in the car tomorrow on the off chance your brother wanders in. He doesn't need to know his old man got issues, at least more than he already believes."

"Dad, Craig thinks the best of you!"

"Uhuh, What, he'll probably letter in two sports at least this year, and maybe even 3. Next year, who knows. You know sports are everything with him! I don't think he can get over the fact that his old man never played a real sport after he was about 12 year old."

"That's not true dad. You lettered once in High School!"

"He doesn't think much of diving I don't think. Well, enough of that. Anything that can't wait on that?" I said indicating the report.

"I probably have a million questions dad, but I think I'd rather think on them and ask you tomorrow. Don't be surprised to see an IM from me either!"

"Like that would surprise me! I have noticed that you do tend to poke me more often closer to your exams or when you have projects you need breaks from."

"Dad, it's not like you're just an excuse! It's you're always there, and when I'm stressed you can always find something to say that makes me feel better."

I sigh, not really knowing how to handle comments like that. "Enough young lady!" I said, as I reached for the report. “We'll talk about this some more tomorrow."

"Sure dad. I'm sure you and mom will figure things out. She's got that look."

"She does, I'm just not sure I like being the target of it again."

"Again? Oh, you mean when you got married."

I chuckled. "Got it the first time. Well, off you go and we'll talk tomorrow."

"Night dad! Don't stay up too late. I don't want you sleeping while you drive!" She said as she walked out of the room, and I laughed heartily at that one.

"That girl. I wonder where she gets it." I said to myself, as I got back to work, catching up on some things that had slid while all the things were happening during the week.

# - # - # - # - #

The next day in the car

"Okay dad. Since it's not a tumor removal scar, what do you and mom think it was?”

"Honestly, we don't know. I think your mom is suspicious it had something to do with an enrichment class I had in elementary school. I dunno."

"Oh? What's that about?"

"Well, yesterday my folks told us that I'd gotten into a special class as a result of a test, with my two best friends. The class was one of those extra ones, they call them enrichment today. It went on throughout most of 3rd and 4th grades. Seems in 4th grade the three of us stopped seeing much of each other for a good bit and ignored each other after that. I think it's a coincidence, but your mom's not so sure."

"Coincidence or not dad, you probably should check things out. At worst, you may find some old friends, and rekindle a relationship or two."

"You know, you could be right there Ruth. Thanks for putting things into perspective."

She sat quietly for a minute. "That story sounds vaguely familiar. Hmmm. Well, never mind. I was wondering what you and mom were going to do next?"

"I think I'm going to write a letter to the school, to see if they have any records or such of the time, including the teacher's name. Then we may try to look him up. I think we're going to talk to Flo or my shrink about this memory recovery stuff. Maybe one of those paths will lead to something."

"Okay dad. Let me know if you find anything, or if you need me to come home to watch the squirt! I can always catch the train and bus if you can't get off to come get me."

"Thanks. We both know we can count on you! You just have a great time and worry about your classes, not your old man!"

"Right, like you said your mom used to tell you 'study hard and have fun' huh!"

"Well... The thought did cross my mind, but I remembered my reaction and suppressed the urge."

She laughed at that, lightening her mood as I'd intended, and maybe she had too, come to think of it. The rest of the trip was uneventful. It was on the way home, when I realized she'd not said she'd leave the mystery to her mom and I. This made me wonder what she could possibly come up with. Oh well, what can she find out about my memory at the University. It's not like she can go into the library and check out a book 'Bill Wyman, the Early Years'. I chuckled as i thought that to myself.

# - # - # - # - #

That night

"Becky, I think I'm going to ask Dr. Flynn about how we might make the memory recalling safer for us."

"I was going to ask you to Bill. We're finding some stuff, but if you could remember more, we could maybe put it together easier. Maybe you should call your old elementary school, to see if they have any records of your class as well. I doubt they'll give you any info over the phone, but they should be able to tell you if the records exist, and how to get access to them.

"That’s a good point Becky. A letter might get the info, but it might not as well, especially if I ask the wrong questions there. Thanks for the suggestion! I'll let you know how both come out tomorrow evening."

"That's good Bill. Now let's get some sleep."


To Be Continued… Do Bill's parents know more than they're saying? Should Bill and Becky have told Ruth so much? Will she find something? Will Bill get anything useful from the school? Where are things going from here?
 
Author’s Note: Thanks for all of your comments! They really help me, and encourage me to keep going on this story.

up
66 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Please let this be good for you?

Gwen I have often found that it is I who benefitted most from writing a story. All too often, they have helped me to work something out in my own mind.
Gwen Brown

Thanks for the note

I don't know that I'm working something out for me... But some parts of this have been "work"... :-) I certainly HOPE the cause I've "invented" for Bill's memory loss has no resemblance to my own! :-) That would be very disturbing to me, in more ways than one. However, I hope folks do enjoy how things come together, once they do.

I've actually found the writing more enjoyable than I'd expected! (I'll even admit to have, um, well, um, procrastinated in doing things I should have been doing to spend time writing.)

Thanks for the note!

Phrances

Oh my!

Things are really starting to heat up, tee hee hee I can't wait to see what happens next :D

--------------------------------------------
I just got to be me :D

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

Getting good

This is starting to shape up as something un-nice and could very well be nasty. Brain-washing, electro-shock treatment, and perhaps drugs as well on a kid without the parents really knowing what's going on? Okay I might be reading too much into this, again. Very enjoyable!
hugs!
grover

Re: Getting good

We don't know that the parents didn't really know what was going on, just that they say they didn't. Based on what I know about electro-shock (ECT), I would find it hard to believe they didn't know something was going on other than special ed classes. Proper administration of ECT requires the use of anesthesia and muscle relaxers and impairs cognitive abilities for a period of time after treatment. What kind of parents would not notice the change in their child?

KJT

Down with ego photo sigs!


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

ECT

When I was going to the local gender clinic's drop in sessions there was another M2F there that had a history of suicide attempts and occasional time in a mental health facility.

One time she showed up about a week after ECT treatments after her latest attempt at taking her life. Her brain was still scrambled, and although she was physically there it was not the person we knew. It basically scared the you know what out of me. A few weeks later she was back and more her normal self.

There is no way a parent or anyone who knows the person and sees them on a daily basis could not know that something had happened to them if they went through ECT.

Arwen's Tears.

ECT - Visibility

Thanks for the notes. They reinforce what I'd believeed about the "residual" effects of ECT on a person. I've only known one person that hat ECT, and that person only via the web. So, as I say, I'm glad to hear your confirmations.

I neither confirm nor deny the use of ECT on any character in my story (at least for now...) :-)

Phrances