Who Was I - 9

Printer-friendly version

In which Becky and Bill decide to chat with Flo about this memory business and in which Flo gets the Neurologists report.

Who Was I

By: Annette MacGregor


Part 9   Wednesday Evening (25-Oct-06)

"Bill, how did it go today?"

"I don't know Becky, I really don't know. She answered all my questions and then some, but she also scared me more than a bit."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, if I understood what she said, it's easier to cause false memories to show up than it is to get real memories to surface. She explained a LOT of how ethical practitioners work to avoid doing this, and she also showed me a lot of the tools she'd use to recognize a possible memory is manufactured rather than real. That part was a bit reassuring."

"And?"

"Well, I then asked how a session would go. That was a bit nervy too. It would start out with me being put into a mild trance. That alone bothered me. You know how much I like to be in control of what I'm doing."

"That's putting things a bit mildly Bill! But, go on. That can't be all."

"No, the next bit's Okay. It's a bit of a guided finding of a safe haven in the head sort of thing. I'm guessing it's like that centering notion we hear about in some of the fiction. When she told me one of the reasons for the safe place, I was a bit concerned."

"Oh, what now?"

"She described how she would approach lost memories by giving an example of a mugging victim. First starts at a time before the mugging when the person is safe, and encourage a memory out, then do the same closer and closer to the mugging."

"That sounds reasonable, but can't be all. What bothered you?"

"Well, she said that one of the uses of the safe place is an emergency retreat spot, if the recovered memory becomes too hard to bear. She even went so far as to show me some biometric sensors that are used when it is expected that a memory could be hard."

"Wow. I see how that would bother you. I get a bit shaky even thinking about it!" She visibly shook her self then. "Have you thought more about whether you want to go through with this?"

"I have, and I'm a bit more hesitant. I want to talk to both Flo and Dr. Flynn about it, and whether it's safe."

"Bill, I think that's a good idea. As a matter of fact, I'd like to talk to Flo with you. I love YOU, and don't want anything to happen to you!"

"Thanks Becky It’s a bit late to call Flo at home now, How about I call her in the morning, and see if I can schedule any time. Can you get off?"

"I'll just say I have a doctor's appointment Bill. Don't worry. There's nothing really big going on right now anyway."

"Thanks Becky." I said as I grabbed her in a big hug.

# - # - # - # - #

Thursday Morning

"Hello, Flo"

"Yes, who is this?"

"Flo, its Bill Wyman. I'm really sorry to bother you so early in the morning, but I wanted to catch you before you were off to the office or somewhere."

"What's up Bill? Is there a problem?" She sounded concerned.

"Do you have some time to talk about Dr. Wong and recovering memory with Becky and me? We both have concerns and were hoping you could help."

"Bill, of course. I doubt I can squeeze you in today. Let me see if I can work something out for you tomorrow. Is that okay?"

"Thanks Flo. We really appreciate this!"

"Hey, what are friends for?" I could hear the smile in her voice.

# - # - # - # - #

Thursday Afternoon

[Author's Note: The following section occurs chronologically, but as will become apparent, Bill isn't aware of it. The initial character is Dr. Flo Broadhurst... As to the letter and report Flo receives... Well...]

"Ahh, Dr. Johanson's report. Probably interesting reading, even if there's nothing to find. Let's see..." She said to herself as she opened the envelope

"Oh my goodness." she said as she started reading. "This is amazing." getting to the report. "I can't believe Bill's not concerned. Stephen must not have said anything more than that there was scar tissue. I'd better give him a call. Glad his numbers still in the recently dialed list. Hope he's able to pick up."

"Hi Flo, guess you got my note. I was expecting a call."

"Hello Stephen, I take it caller ID gave me away."

"Yep, the miracle of modern telephony. What can I do for you Flo?"

"It's about your report on Mr. Wyman."

"I figured that. I tell you, I was disturbed by the implications of what I saw."

"That was apparent from your cover letter Steph. What I want to know is how much you told him?"

"Ahh. I told him that he had some scar tissue at the base of the brain, and that it couldn't have caused the memory loss in and of it's self. That's about all. Hopefully you can figure how much of the detailed report, and maybe my suppositions, to tell him. I find the very idea worrisome."

"Okay, thanks Steph." she said as she rang off, thinking... "I think it's a good thing Bill and Becky are coming over tomorrow morning. This may well be more disturbing than anything Bill's done on memory retrieval so far." With that, she stood up, and headed out to the reception.

"The appointment I scheduled for Bill & Becky Wyman tomorrow morning. I'm afraid it may take up the whole morning. I know I said you could schedule things for the morning but you'd better not."

"What happened doctor?"

"Something just came up. Is Susan with a client?"

"Not right now doctor, I think she's working on notes right now."

"Thanks." She said, as she headed for Susan Flynn's office.

"Susan, have you looked at the Neurology report from Dr. Johanson on Mr. Wyman?"

"No, is there something in it?"

"I think you should take a look now, and then we can talk."

Susan went through her inbox, and found the report. "Hmmm. My... That's quite a report Flo."

"Take a look at this Susan." She said as she handed the cover letter she'd gotten.

She sat down as she read. "Oh my. I can't imagine this going over well with him."

"No. I’m sure. Luckily he and his wife were coming in to talk to me about Dr. Wong and memory retrieval in the morning. Do you think you can clear you schedule in the mooring if we need it?"

"Let me look. Depends on who's coming in." She looked through her list for Friday. "Well, if they can move my 10:00 into Mr. Wyman's afternoon slot, then I think so. I'm blocked from 10:00 to 11:00 or 11:30."

"Thanks. I'm guessing that Bill won't mind swapping for the morning. I'll ask them to see if they can get your 10:00 moved. See you in the morning."

Flo went back out to the reception. "I just talked with Dr. Flynn. She wants you to give her 10:00 am client a call, and see if moving to Mr. Wyman's slot in the afternoon is possible. If it is, go ahead and make that change. Please let both of us know."

"Yes ma'am."

"Hello, Dr. Broadhurst, Dr. Flynn's 10:00 am was able to move to an afternoon slot this week."

"Thanks, Dr. Flynn will be busy with me in the morning."

# - # - # - # - #

Friday Morning

"Well, I hope Flo can help us with this one Bill."

"Thanks for coming along Becky. This memory thing is unsettling me."

"We're a team remember? We said so oh so many years ago! You've always been there for me. This time, I'm there for you!"

"Thanks Beck" I said as I gave her a hug. "We'd best go in."

"Hello, we're Mr. and Mrs. Wyman to see Dr. Broadhurst."

"Yes sir, just a moment." she pressed a button. "Dr. Broadhurst, you asked me to let you know when Mr. and Mrs. Wyman were here."

"Thanks, I'll be right out."

"Hi Becky, Bill" she said as she came out. Let's head on back to the dungeon."

"Bill, Becky, I just got Dr. Johanson's report. Becky, that's the neurologist I sent Bill to. Why don't we go over them before we talk about memory retrieval? That okay."

"Why not Flo." said Becky, and I nodded.

"Right, I asked Dr. Flynn to join us since she's your therapist Bill, and is aware of the contents of the report since you asked Dr. Johanson to send it to her as well."

There was a quiet knock about then.

"Come on in Susan." Said Flo, raising her voice a bit. "Becky, this is Dr. Flynn." She said as she indicated another chair in the room. "Well Bill, Dr. Johanson had a bit to say in his report. Perhaps you two would like to read the report." said Flo, as she handed each of us a copy of the report.

Becky was the first to react "Oh my Go..."



To Be Continued… What's in that report? What will Bil do?
 
 
Author's Note:Thanks for the kind and helpful comments! I had the report in this part, but thought giving that stuff away before Bill knew about it wasn't really nice to Bill. So, next part will have it. Sorry this is shorter, but it's late, and I'm tired. Maybe I should have just waited for the end of the morning session.

up
59 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Who 9

Have you been taking lessons from Angharad on how to leave things on such a frustrating cliffhanger. The pace in this is really hotting up and now is where we appreciate the detailed begining as we understand where the characters are coming from.

Keep up the good work

Karen

So you say...

So, you say I should take a break on writing and get back to this next year? {just kidding}

Lessons

You have been taking lessons from Angharad! Here I am asking What, What, What? Just dying to finally KNOW something about what is going on and you cliff hang us! Argh!!!
The pain, the pain!!! Wonderful tale Phrancis!
hugs!
grover