Who Was I - 29

Printer-friendly version

In which Bill goes through the wringer, Ginny expresses her concerns as only an 11 yr old can. and in which the tree musketeers have lunch and make plans. Or do they?

Who Was I

By: Annette MacGregor

". . . So many things could go wrong.”

"That's HORRIBLE."

"Yes and any number of things could have gone wrong. . . ."


Part 29   Late Saturday evening (2-Dec-2006)

Becky was amazing today, and tonight. Wow. I just don't know what I've done to deserve a partner like her. First she put me back together with two people that may well become friends again, tonight she was there to talk over everything and Monday she'll be there for whatever happens.

# - # - # - # - #

Monday morning

"Hello Dr. Wong."

"Good morning Mr. & Mrs. Wyman. The report on what was in the scar tissue was faxed here this morning, and I have to say I find it more troublesome than just the thought of someone injecting materials that caused the scarring. The capsule actually had a toxic substance in it. The substance was also a mild hallucinogenic. The report suggests that had the capsule ruptured, you'd probably have had the biggest trip one could have imagined. They were not sure if you'd have survived the event, but you would certainly have had brain damage. And, to make things worse, the plastic the capsule was made of seemed to be deteriorating. I guess that's not surprising given the quality of plastics back in the '60s but you're a very lucky man Mr. Wyman." I shuddered at this. "The scar tissue mass also appears to have been your body's defense mechanism to protect you from the foreign object. It also showed some signs of that other substance I mentioned we were looking for, but not much. We didn't expect much, after all these years. Well, it wasn't actually IN the scar tissue; it was on the surface of the plastic. And, they probably wouldn't have found it had they not been actively looking for it."

"Wow. How'd that thing get in there, without Bill's parents knowing he'd had surgery and such? I didn't think they had techniques back then to allow for inserting something like that, especially with no discernable scar!"

"They did speculate on how it was introduced. They said that based on the shape of the capsule, it really wasn't inserted intact." At our questioning look, she continued. "Here's how they speculated that it could have been inserted. First a long hollow needle was inserted into the back of the neck, upward toward the base of the brain. No, I don't have any idea how positioning without hitting anything was accomplished. But, once the long needle was in place, a plastic substance was "blown through the tube into the position the tube was there. It became balloon like, or if you've seen glass blowing like a glass bottle. In any event, they speculate that rather than air, the toxic/hallucinogenic material was used to make the balloon. When the appropriate amount was inserted, the tube would be twisted to seal it, and then withdrawn. This does sound like it might work. But the whole idea is more than just a little disturbing. So many things could go wrong.”

"That's HORRIBLE."

"Yes and any number of things could have gone wrong. They could have pushed too far, the plastic could have ruptured; the list is endless. I don't see how anyone with a conscience could have done such a thing. Even less, what did they do to LEARN how to insert these things?" I shuddered at that.

"I guess I really am lucky!"

"Very much so, you need to tell those friends of yours about this, and get them to a Neurologist to check as well. It'd probably be easier to use Dr. Johanson, since he's familiar with your case, and knows what to look for, but it needs to be done."

"I'll tell them when I see them tomorrow."

"Thanks. And, I'd still like to talk to them as well."

"I know, and I'll mention that as well." I sighed. "Does any of that help with what we're doing today?"

"Maybe, it does give me a starting spot. I suspect the timing is related, but we'll have to look and see." She paused. "Do either of you have any questions before we get started?"

"Actually, I've a comment. One of the two friends Bill had back then, kept journals, even back in fourth grade. She gave me a call yesterday after reading her journals with one or two events that might be useful."

"Mr. Wyman, how about you head into the room, so I can hear what your wife has to say. I'd prefer to not influence your sub consciousness any more than we have to.

"Okay, if this helps, that's great!" I said as I headed back into the room.

"Well Mr. Wyman, that call your wife got yesterday may have made things a little easier for all of us."

"That's a relief; I was getting a bit nervous in here."

"I'm sorry, but as I said, your not hearing will make this easier and less likely to interfere with our efforts. Let's get set up." I sat down, and held my hands out for the monitors. I figured today had to be tough. "I thought they'd be needed."

"While it's possible they're not, I'd rather play things safe." She took her seat. "You're strolling through the forest toward your glade. The sun is shining. It's peaceful and quiet. You walk into your glade and feel safe and relaxed..."

I sat there while Dr. Wong disconnected me from the probes. I felt totally drained. As if I'd run a marathon or something. Once my eyes began to focus better, Dr. Wong said. "How was your graduation from High School Mr. Wyman?"

"It was nice, a little cool with the clouds. But it was nice and dry. Karen's speech was awesome! Wait. I remembered that!"

"Yes. I'm glad to hear you recalled that. How about your fifth birthday party?"

"That would have been the one where Karen gave me a Bozo the Clown and Stacy gave. I remember!" I was getting a little excited, despite my exhaustion.

She smiled at my reaction. "Yes. I'd like to see you again, but I believe we've removed the block that was keeping your memories from you. For now, I'd suggest keeping a log of things and confirming them. Just to make sure."

"So, this is what you meant. If I think about it, I can remember things. But they don't just "jump" out and grab my attention any more than any other memory."

"That's right. You may have some disturbing memories in there, but you should be able to recall them. So, you may be working with Dr. Flynn for quite a while until you've worked through all of your new memories."

I nodded. "I guess some of them are likely to be more disturbing than others."

"Considering what happened, I'm afraid so."

# - # - # - # - #

Later that afternoon

"Hi daddy, you look like you need a hug." Says my 11 year old, as she climbed into, well I guess onto and across is a better term, lap. Between the two of us there really wasn't much room to spare.

"Thanks punkin. You sure it's me that you think needs the hug?"

"Weeelll. I like 'em too daddy, but you're usually off working and stuff, and since you got that bandage on your neck last week...” her voice trailed off.

"Ginny, you've not been worried have you?"

"Uhuh. You're never sick daddy, and you spent the night in the hospital."

"I wasn't sick this time either. The doctors found something in there that shouldn't have been and took it out. I thought mommy had told you about that."

"She said the same thing daddy, but I was worried it was cancer they found." I looked at her a little startled. I guess I could see how someone could come to that conclusion.

"No punkin’ it was actually a bit of plastic, about that big." I said showing her using the tip of my thumb.

"How'd that get in there daddy?"

"A really bad man put it there punkin when I was younger than you are. And, before you ask, we don't know why."

"How did you know I was going to ask that daddy?"

"I could see the question forming on the tip of your tongue."

"No you couldn't!"

"No, I just know you well enough to know what you were going to ask. Is that all now Punkin?"

"I guess daddy. I was just worried."

"I'd have told you if there was something to worry about. Now, you run along now. Okay?"

"Thanks daddy!" She gave me a peck and jumped up. What a wonderful kid.

# - # - # - # - #

Tuesday Lunch

"Hi Karen & Stacy."

"How'd it go yesterday Bill?"

"Always right to the point aren't you Stacy?" She looked at me sharply.

"You remember something"?

I nodded. "It's not like I always recall things, but when folks ask questions or I try to, I remember stuff. It's nice not having those holes now."

"Wow. Was it hard?"

"Umm. Yea, I felt all wrung out when it was over yesterday, and wasn't much use the rest of the day, but this morning I felt pretty much normal."

"So, do you remember our graduation too?" Karen asked.

"Yea, you gave a great speech! I don't really remember all of it, but it was really well received. I'm afraid mine wasn't quite so good. I was trying to clown a bit I guess, or maybe just be funny." Hmm. I didn't remember that before. What's this; Karen reached out toward me as if to comfort me and then hesitated. "Don't worry about it, that's old history now. We'd best look at these menus and make up our minds, or they'll be upset with us." They both nodded, and eventually we'd ordered our lunches.

"Bill, did the information I found in my journals end up helping?"

"Yes Stacy, they did apparently. Becky never told me what you passed on, but Dr. Wong did indicate that it made things go easier."

"I'm not so sure I'm happy with that, based on other things in my journals. I was hoping it was just a story I'd written for myself."

"Stuff like getting shots in the backs of our necks?" She looked at me sharply. "Ahh, I see the answer is probably yes. That's one of the memories I recovered before yesterday, and was why the Doc had me see my Neurologist for a biopsy of the scar tissue at the base of my brain." They both nodded, apparently recalling the mention of that. "Ahh, our food arrives."

Chat over lunch was over incidentals. It was interesting how easily we got along, and this only our second meeting since we'd been reconnected. I wondered where it would all go.

"Bill, I want the name of the Neurologist. I want my head checked out!"

"Karen, that's a better idea than you think. When they were poking in there to do the biopsy, they found a plastic capsule." The both inhaled at that.

"No!"

"I'm afraid so. And Dr. Wong was hoping you'd both go see a Neurologist, if not the one I used."

"Bill, Karen, I think it makes sense to use the same Neurologist as he'd be familiar with what happened to Bill and that might reduce testing and such."

"That was Dr. Wong's point too Stacy. Want me to call now, and see if they can work you in?" At their nod, I pulled out my blackberry and phone. I wish they’d combine these things into a reasonable package. "Hello, yes this is Mr. Wyman. Is Dr. Johanson available? What, he left word he'd call me back. Okay, you can use this number, it's my mobile." I turned back. Apparently he was expecting a call. So if we can sit tight, maybe I can get you answers. Meanwhile, as I said earlier, Dr. Wong would like a chance to see you both too."

"Maybe. I'll think about it Bill."

"How about you Karen?"

"Okay, I'm a bit nervous, but also curious. It can't hurt to meet the lady. Would you mind going along?"

At that point, my phone rang. "Just a sec, it's the Doc." I answered the phone. "Bill Wyman, what's up doc?" "Yes, I'm afraid I couldn’t resist. Sorry if you hear it too much." "No, my neck feels fine. I was calling about two other people that were in the class with me where I got this plastic present." "Yes, there were two others, and they have memory issues as well." "That's exactly what I was calling you about Doc. They both were interested in getting things checked out." "You can get the scans Thursday?" "Oh, and if they have capsules can take care of one as well in the afternoon? Let me check with them." I turned to Stacy and Karen. "You probably heard that. Are either of you free on Thursday?"

Stacy pulled out a blackberry, not that I'm surprised, and quickly said "I can get off. No big meetings or anything. It being December things are quieting down anyway."

I turned to Karen, and she said "I'm pretty flexible. I'll have to check my calendar at home, but I think I'm good for Thursday as well."

"Doc, they can both be there Thursday morning for the scans." "Oh, okay." I turned back to them. "He said that if there’s an indication of a capsule in your heads, he'd like to remove them as soon as possible. They both nodded. "Okay, I'll introduce you when I come in for you to look at the new hole in my head." "Okay Bye." "Sorry about that."

"Oh, we were waiting for it." said Stacy. "I'm just glad I had the time open Friday afternoon and Monday morning are booked solid.

"Bill, that he went so fast on this, I think I'd better take the time to see Dr. Wong too."

"Okay Karen. I know she used to have some time on Wednesdays. I had it before having to change to Mondays. Let me give her a call." "Hello Dr. Wong, this is Mr. Wyman." "Yes, I'm fine. I was calling for Karen Stewart, one of my classmates." "Yes, that class. She was wondering if you had time tomorrow to chat with her about her memory losses." "You do? Great. I'll let her know." "Oh, I'll check." "Stacy, do you want Friday morning? Dr. Wong can clear that time." I could see her thinking it over, and then she gave a nod. "Okay?"

"Yes, I can make it happen."

"Okay Dr. Wong, Stacy can be there Friday morning." "Thanks."

"Well, that was a busy lunch. I don't know about you two, but with the exception of that phone stuff, I had a great time today!"

"Yes, why don't we do it again next week? We should all have some new experiences by then!"

"Good point Karen. I'm up for it."

"Well, count me in!" I didn't want to miss out on getting reconnected with these wonderful people.

With that, things settled down. A bit of coffee or tea and we were done for the day.


To Be Continued… Do the girls have capsules in their heads? I wonder where THEIR safe spots will be. Will they have tower memories too? Bill seems okay so far with his recovered memories. Will this continue? How will it affect his family? It's really looking like light at the end of the tunnel. I don't HEAR a train?
 
Author’s Note: Thanks for all of your comments! They really help me, and encourage me to keep going on this story.

up
68 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Who was I?

I was starting to wonder where the next chapter was! Nice Bill is starting to remember stuff and disturbing about what was in that capsule. I am concerned about what his dreams will begin to reveal. So many questions, more please!!
Hugs!
grover

Sorry it was delayed...

Thanks for the note grover.

I found this one difficult to write. The next couple may be delayed as well, for which I appologize... Work went from TOOO SLOW, to WAY TOO FAST really quickly. Not to worry, I WILL finish the story. (or at least end it...)

Annette

Who Was I-29

Annette, I say that the Three Musketeers were all invaded with a capsule. Whether or not theirs are coming apart is another matter. But already we see that their old friendship is returning.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Patience

Take your time, get it the way you want it. Good stories are not rushed.
Thank you for the time and effort you have given to this project.

Thank you.

Thanks for your kind thought!