Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2682

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2682
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

“I’m not sure what to do about this,” I handed the letter to Simon.

“University of Perth—what d’they want? Oh the reserve. Oh they’re disappointed you can’t just go dashing off up there are they?”

“I suppose I could but I can hardly leave the children can I?”

“If you had both housekeepers in you could.”

“What together?”

“I’m sure Julie could take the girls to school or even Tom could and you could fly up there, have a day for meetings and see the forest and come home the next, or wait a bit and we could all go up there for a week or two at Stanebury at the end of July.”
“You’d take a fortnight off?”

“I could try, have to see when Dad was away.”

“I don’t know, I think the thought of a fortnight in a sun warmed villa is more inviting than in a draughty old castle where either the rain or the midges will get me. I might defer making my inspection of the forest until after the summer.”

“Better write and tell them then.”

“So are we doing Menorca then?”

“You can, too hot for me in July, I’d rather do Stanebury and the villa in September or even October.”

“They’ll all be on holiday by the end of July, even the schools are up there.”

“Well go now.”

I had a little think, there was nothing I could think of happening at the university that I couldn’t postpone for a couple of days or even three. I’d check with Daddy and Delia. “I need to check a few things first.”

“Fine, I’m sure they’ll cope for a day or so without you. You could pop into the castle as well do some inspections there.”

“I think I’ll pass on that.”

He shrugged.

I spoke with Daddy the next morning and he considered my visit to the reserve in Scotland to be a good idea. Delia wasn’t so sure but when we explored her concerns most of them were unfounded and related to signing degree certificates. I pointed out that these were usually produced on a computer which had already scanned my signature. She had visions of me needing to sign dozens if not hundreds of certificates. I would have to be there for the presentations but that was all.

We checked with the University of Perth that they’d be available for my visit, which they said they would, so I got her to book me a flight from Southampton to Glasgow and from there to Perth. She also booked me a room for two nights at the Stanebury Arms Hotel in Perth and a hire car for the period.

I went home at lunch time and checked with David that he’d keep an eye on Hannah, and Stella agreed to watch the others. Lorraine was away doing some course in childcare, but Helen was happy to come in early to help with breakfasts for the three days. I didn’t go back to the university but started to pack before collecting the girls at three thirty.

I explained what was happening and none of them were exactly happy about the idea. However, they had exams to finish so couldn’t come even had I said they could. It was very encouraging to discover Hannah had taken two exams and felt quite good about the outcomes.

The next morning I was up early and packed my cases in the car. I was going to be over the limit but I’d been told there would be some sort of social on the Wednesday evening in my honour. I got the impression they didn’t quite realise who I was, just some professor from down south who was coordinator or a director of the ecological studies at the forest because High St Bank said so. I thought I’d keep them in the dark for the time being and just answer to Professor or Dr Watts.

By late morning I was waiting for the small two engine plane to take me to Perth. I had time for a coffee and a slice of cake before it arrived. Then it was find my driving licence, which of course is in my married name.

“The car was booked for Professor Watts and you don’t look or sound like him.”

Oh boy, “My maiden name is Watts and I’m professor of Biological sciences at Portsmouth University,” fortunately I had my university ID with me. “My married name is Catherine, the Lady Cameron.” I handed my driving licence to the woman on the desk.

“Och, now I see the discrepancy, we’ll have you sorted in a trice.”

I signed the various forms for insurance and so forth and saw the car was a 2015 model but it didn’t say what make. I nearly fell over when I saw it was a new Range Rover vogue, the only downside being it was automatic. The university were apparently paying for my trip, so I decided I was simply going to enjoy myself. I loaded my case in the boot and followed the directions to the hotel not far from the University on the outskirts of Perth.

I signed in and was led to a pleasant room with an en suite bathroom. I was informed of the code for the wi-fi and ordered a ploughman’s for a late lunch. Ten minutes after freshening up, I went down to the dining room to eat it. To my surprise was a large photo of our castle. I was busy looking at it while eating my lunch when the manager of the hotel came to make small talk. I was booked in as Professor Watts.

“You like our local castle?” he said.

“It’s a castle, seen one seen them all,” I said provocatively.

“Aye, perhaps, but this one is still inhabited.”

“Aren’t most of the intact ones?”

“The Camerons are so wealthy, they say it’s painted in gold leaf inside.”

“I don’t think so.”

“They are one of the wealthiest families in Scotland, if not the most wealthy.”

“I thought they lived in England?”

“Aye, because that’s where they get their money from.”

“Oh well that’s all right then.”

“Professor Watts, isn’t it?”

“That’s me.”

“Professor of what?”

“Biological sciences.”

“A scientist then?” Was this guy for real, I just told him I was a biologist.

“Yes, a biologist and ecologist.”

“Oh, you here to study something special—wildcats or pine martens?”

“I’d love to see either or both of them, no, I’m here to liaise with the university as the director of the forest reserve they’re looking after for me.”

“You’re the director of the forest reserve? The one the Camerons bought?”

“Yes, I know Henry quite well.”

“Ye’ll also know they own that pile,” he jerked his thumb towards the photo of the castle.

“Yes, I’ve stayed there.”

“Ye’ve stayed there? Why didn’t ye say?”

“You didn’t ask.”

“No I didn’t, did I?” He wandered off and I continued to eat my delicious meal.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
287 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Confusion

Dahlia's picture

So I'm confused! Is the manager proud of the castle or not. One moment he is bragging about it and the next he is calling it a 'pile'.

Good for Cathy that she didn't give that plonker any excuse to spread gossip and rumors about her.

Love the story as always, thanks.

Dahlia

Pile 'a stones

Podracer's picture

Nah, it can be an affectionate term. An old mansion or castle is often referred to as a "stately pile".

Hm. Cathy's on her own away from friends and family, I hope nothing untoward is waiting to happen. Maybe she'll see a marten? The closest around here was the dead ferret I found on the road last week.

"Reach for the sun."

"Pile" is a Britishism

For at least a couple of centuries, "pile" has been very standard slang among the aristocratic class in Britain for a castle. Depending on context, the speaker might be bragging or might a bit embarrassed, or maybe something more complicated. Keep in mind that no few of those castles really are closer to fallen and crumbled piles of brick/stone than they are to being real structures. Something built many centuries ago needs TLC to survive the centuries in good shape. In other words, having a "pile" might only be good for bragging rights but little else. Then again, it might be in perfectly good repair and quite useable.

And of course, that sort of talk is right out of Jane Austen or Georgette Heyer or O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series.

Hope that helps. :-)

Annie

Fun Episode

Angharad, thanks for this one and all the others that came before it.

The manager treading on thin ice?

People have thought I was the speaker at a couple events. One time they thought I was the Pastor at a large Evangelical event. (This is in my before life). My how attitudes change when they find that I perhaps should be washing the dishes. :)

Gwen

You are SO NAUGHTY Sometimes !

Not you, Angharad, but your character, Prof Watts aka Lady Cameron.

What a superb opportunity for spreading chaos and confusion and getting a lot of laughs out of slightly simple folks who have not checked the facts and made their background checks !

I can see we are in for plenty of fun in the next few days. Bless you, Angharad, for creating such fabulous entertainment to enrich all our narrow, empty lives... well, mine anyway. A bit presumptuous of me to assume everyone else has one like mine. You know what I mean, I am sure, so apologies to all those who have lives so complicated and full of the unexpected, that they wish they could have "a nice quiet life" for a change.

hugs,

Briar

Hmm... Professor has to be male?

or was it just the name thing at the rental company?

Is Cathy going to enjoy her "Chelsea Tractor"? Certainly good for getting the kids to school.

I think the manager is ambivalent about the castle. Both envious of the owners and proud of it being in the area.

Hi.

Still lovin' it. See you Friday I hope, Byee. x

bev_1.jpg