Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2624

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2624
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

“Oh all right, I’ll come in then—just an upset tummy. Yes I know it’s important—all right, I said I would.” She switched the phone off.

“I take it you’re going?”

“Yeah but only because they were desperate.” I didn’t try to complicate matters further so let the matter drop.

She allowed me to cajole her into eating a bacon sandwich, which was fatal because half of Portsmouth appeared to want one as well. By the time we’d finished pretty well everyone in the house had a bacon sarnie, including me—it was delicious.

Afterwards we went up to change and I asked her what was really going on. “Nuthin’,” she said blushing.

“Sorry, kiddo, but I don’t believe you.”

“It’s the truth.”

“Is it?”

She sat on the bed for a moment looking at the pair of shoes across the room from her. “No it isn’t.”

“So what is, the truth, I mean?”

“It was Sara Redfern.”

“What about Miss Redfern?” If she was anything like her father, it would mean that she could be quite persuasive assisted by money or threats. He was a Tory counsellor and business magnate.

“She said that girls who like playing physical sports are like boys and probably lesbians.”

“So just because some stupid and spiteful girls says so, you’re prepared to give up an England career?”

“Well I can’t afford to have them look me over with a tooth comb, can I?

“Why not? You look fine unless they do DNA from a mouth swab or look for periods or a womb.”

“What if the girls in school suspect something—I’d kill myself.”

“Wouldn’t that just confirm things?”

“It wouldn’t matter, I’d be dead.”

“It would to those of us left behind.”

“You’d get over it.”

“How dare you assume anysuch a thing?” I snapped angrily.

“Well you would in time.”

“Why would I?”

“People do.”

“That sounds like you haven’t had much experience of loss.”

“Only Billie, but that was bad enough.”

“I’m sure it was, kiddo, we all suffered but spare a thought for the rest of us. How d’you think I’d feel losing two children, especially to one of a suicide?”

“Wouldn’t be my problem, would it? I’d be dead.”

“If you succeeded, some don’t and you could be paralysed for the rest of what could be a very long life.”

“You don’t hear much about those.”

“That doesn’t mean they don’t happen, remember absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”

“I know, I know, but it could be.”

That was perfectly true but unlikely. “So you’re going to give up the thing which gives you most pleasure or kill yourself because of what a bully-girl says? I can’t believe it.”

“Why? Didn’t you do things to avoid the finger being pointed at you?”

I quickly scanned my data banks, I didn’t have any such memory but that might have been selective amnesia on my part. I suppose denying my femininity while at school could be considered avoidance strategy, though I didn’t deny it to myself where it probably grew almost daily until it became a truth in my eyes. Is this how delusions grow and was my whole being founded on such a delusion?

“Well did you?” demanded Danni disrupting my thoughts.

“Did I what?” I asked forgetting the question.

“Did you do things to avoid having people point a finger at you as being different?”

“I can’t remember, sweetheart. Look I’m not trying to criticise you, I’m trying to point out that you don’t have to give in to these bullies, because that’s all they are.”

“That’s all right for you to say,” she said tears beginning to form.

“Let me ask you a question?”

She nodded her assent.

“What was your finest moment—from the whole of your life so far?”

“Playing for England.”

“Would you rate that above fitting in to the standards set by a group of stupid bully girls?”

She nodded tears running down her face, “Yes,” she said quietly.

“You fought hard for that place, you’ll have to fight even harder to keep it—won’t you?”

She nodded.

“I presume you’d like to wear an England shirt again?”

“Yes. Yes, I would, Mummy.”

“So, are you playing today?”

She delicately wiped her eyes so as not to mess her mascara, like any other teen girl, “Yes, Mummy, I’m playing today and I don’t care if they call me a lezzie or a boy, I’m going to play for England again which is more than they ever will—stupid cows.”

Okay, I know, I manipulated her thinking. I know what her values are and while it’s difficult for teens who are seen as different—been there got the scars to prove it—it’s also important to see the main goals in life. Playing for England was her raison d’être not many weeks ago when she was so unsure if she wanted to be a girl—though the longer she spends in the role the more female she becomes. Wiping her eyes just now—a boy wouldn’t do it like that, he just wouldn’t think of it—a girl would. She’s more of a girl than she realises. I can’t say anything in case it makes her think differently. For all I know she still hankers after eventually becoming a boy again once her football career is over. I hope not because she’s becoming really quite shapely, so her response to oestrogen has been very positive.

She came down wearing a sweat shirt and jogging bottoms for ease of getting changed. I made the girls change into warmer clothing and then we all clambered into my Jaguar and set off for the football match.

The team coach gave her a piece of his mind for messing him about. I took him to one side and explained the pressure she was under from some of the girls at school. He wasn’t impressed declaring that if she didn’t have the ego strength to deal with it she’d lose her place in his team and the England place would fall as well.

I felt very angry and told him that she was his best player and if he didn’t stop talking through his arse, I’d offer her to Southampton or even Reading, who’d both jump at the chance to have her.

He almost dared me to do so, until I qualified, “Because your abuse of her has driven her away, which would almost certainly cause an investigation into his methods.”

“I’ve nothing to hide,” he brazened.

“Certainly not brain cells,” I chided. “You’ve bullied your star player which means they’d only have to question some of your lesser players and one or two will say you bullied them too. As soon as they do, you’re history.”

“You always so nasty?”

“Me, nasty? Not at all unless some arsehole threatens my children, then I don’t get nasty, I simply eliminate the irritant.”

He looked at me with a mixture of contempt and fear. I wasn’t joking and he knew it.

Danni did play and scored both goals—she has enormous talent, my job is to give her the best chance to develop it. The coach’s job is to develop it. We don’t like each other but we both know we have someone special we have to encourage and protect.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
247 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Some Coaches are only feeding their ego.

littlerocksilver's picture

Cathy has shown once again that she is a great mother and a strong woman. Danni has no doubts about her skill. She just needs to be encouraged to enjoy her femininity. I'm sure it will be a struggle, A. would never allow it to be easy, but someday, Danni will be a strong woman just like her mother.

Portia

Good for Cathy, telling the

Good for Cathy, telling the coach off and showing him how much of a "bozo" he is and has been. You can coach a team without turning to belittlement or harassment as tactics to get them to play properly. How about simply using the method called good coaching? Again with the 'macho' syndrome the coach seems to have been using and it is definitely the wrong one to use when dealing with a team made up of all girls or young women. Macho is not exactly a word or concept I would associate with the female gender and sports players. Saying that, I do realize that there are some women/girls who could give any boy/man a real 'run for their money' if everything else is equal. But it still does not make the female 'macho' by any means.
Janice

Danni's coach

seems a bit of a throwback to how managers used to run their teams back in those far off days of the seventies, One thing is for certain if he cannot see that Danni is a little gem he will not be in his present job for long!

Loved the way Cathy with the help of one question was able to turn around her daughters mood, Having said that it is kind of worrying that when something happens that could result in her being exposed Danni's answer is to threaten suicide, Cathy will need to keep her eye on her daughter , Football genius she may be , But mentally she appears to be a little fragile...

Kirri

Yeah,

the suicide threat was disturbing. Thought Danni was past that. Lots of attention from mom, dad and perhaps from Stephanie might be in order.

So what is so wrong with being considered a lesbian?

I noticed that Cathy did not say that Danielle being considered a lesbian should not bother Danielle AS THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH BEING A LESBIAN. That would have been a more positive approach instead of allowing Danielle to fear being called one. The proper response for Danielle, as she seems to like boys, to her stupid coach would be that 'I like boys but even if I were lesbian what is wrong with that?'

I agree with Cathy.

She needs to be protective of her children while at the same time not be a "Pain in the arse" parent, a difficult balance to find.

I was 14 when I went into upper school (High School) and was short and tiny. The coach was only interested in making a name for himself, so concentrated on the big kids. It put me off sports permanently.

Gwen

I was like you, Gwen

When I finished elementary school (grade 8), I was 15, 4'6" and 75 lbs., and was the smallest child in the top four grades, talk about embarrassing. It made me a target for most of the boys in the upper grades, and some of the girls, too. It definitely wasn't fun.

What likely made it worse is that I was one of the two smartest kids in the whole school, which made me even more of a target.

I wonder...

I wonder if Sara Redfern (or more likely her dad) had a bet on the game outcome... Which lead to the action to discourage Danni... Worse HAS happened. *sighs*

Thanks,
Annette

I remember back in the '60's

NoraAdrienne's picture

The high school I attended has a hell week for the football team. I was stopping at the school to do some paperwork and actually saw the coaches using pointer sticks to whack them across the back to get them moving faster.

Having both played and coached.....

D. Eden's picture

Soccer - football to those of you not in the US - at various levels (playing up to and including the college level, and coaching up to the high school level), I have seen the game as not only a player, but also a coach, and perhaps more importantly as a parent, I have seen the way some coaches act.

Unfortunately, many coaches couldn't care less about the players; they are more concerned with their win/loss records than anything else. They see their players as interchangeable and replaceable parts rather than as the complex people they really are.

Yes, as a coach it is part of your job to motivate your players, but abuse is not motivational.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus