Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2672

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2672
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
------------------------------------------

We were up early the next day as I whipped them through the showers like a car wash, then I combed, brushed and styled hair helped by Julie who realised I would struggle to do it all on my own. A lot of the time she seems to do her own thing and I begin to wonder if she still lives here and then she steps in and helps without my asking. Perhaps she’s just more aware some days than others.

We got them all tidied up and dressed—oh, I’d been up and showered and dressed before I started on the girls, so it felt like lunch time to me by the time we had breakfast. Then I struggled to get all of them in the car, before we went off to school. Normally I drop the girls off but this morning I went in with Hannah and we met the headmistress. Hannah was shaking as Sister Maria came down the corridor to us and I put my arm around her.

“So this is Hannah, how d’you do?” she said shaking hands with the child. “Gosh and your hands cold and you’re shaking.” We went into her office and she called for cups of tea. I didn’t really have time but I could hardly leave Hannah there to entertain the headmistress on her own.

“She’s concerned that you have exams next week and not having done your curriculum, she might not do well and you think she was less clever than she actually is.”

“Lady Cameron, you can rest assured that we’ll use the exams simply to get an idea of the things she’s done in her previous school. She won’t be penalized by us whatever her exam results.”

“Feel a bit better now?” I asked her and she nodded.

I walked with the headmistress into the classroom where Trish and Livvie were. The whole class rose. The headmistress said, “Good morning, girls.”

The response was, “Good morning, Sister Maria.”

“We have visitors, Lady Cameron who I’m sure some of you know and she’s brought us a new girl, Hannah. What do we say to our visitors?”

“Good morning, Lady Cameron, good morning, Hannah.” Most of them said that except two who said loudly, “Hi Mummy, hi Hannah.”

I waited for a few moments while they seated her next to Trish and she began to look less terrified before I left and went on to the office where Delia was entertaining two police officers. My tummy flipped.

It was Andy Bond and his tyro colleague, who lacked even the most basic of people skills. Asking Delia to make some teas, I led the two coppers into my office. “How can I help you, PC Bond?”

“We’re still investigating the assault on Hannah’s mother.”

“You’ve spoken with her twice.”

“I know, and for her age she was quite a competent witness, but we’re not sure if she understands the complexities of adult relationships.”

“I think you’ll be quite impressed with what she does understand.”

“Oh, I stand corrected.”

“She knew what was going on and that when they started beating her up, she had the nous to run for it and call for help. She is still traumatized and I’ve already agreed to report anything I hear which might be of use.”

Delia brought the teas in and we chit chatted while we drank them as if nothing had happened between us a week or so back. Then I was asked once again to report anything Hannah said which might help a prosecution against the two men.

I asked if they’d heard anything from the hospital about Ingrid. “A little birdie tells me she’s off the critical list and that you’d been to see her.”

“Yes, I took Hannah so that obviously made her feel better.”

“Talking to neighbours, we discovered that she possibly wasn’t the best mother that Hannah might have had.”

“What d’you mean?” I challenged even though it possibly paralleled my own thoughts.

“I suspect you know what I mean.”

“Do I?”

“Lots of shouting at the child. Things being broken—they say she smashed the kid’s computer because she couldn’t hear her soaps.”

“Oh, do they?”

“Lots of drink or empty bottles in the recycling.”

“That’s surely circumstantial evidence at best. A chance for payback by any neighbor who had a grudge against her.”

“Of course, but after a while, you get an idea of the person you’re investigating. I’m sure you do it in your research as well.”

“Andy, there’s a golden rule in scientific research, you amass your facts or data then theorise from that, not form your theory and bend the facts to fit it.” The two police left and Delia came in.

“I nearly died when they arrived and you weren’t here, I thought for a moment you’d had an accident.”

“No they’re still digging around the assault on Hannah’s mother. I took her to school with my four this morning.”

“How’d she get on?”

“She was so nervous, bless her, but she seemed to settle in before I left. Trish got a chance to play big sister.”

“So will you be working your normal hours?”

“That’s the idea—now what have we got…?”

The day flew by and before I knew it, it was time to collect the mouseketeers. It appeared that Hannah quite enjoyed her day and she said she wanted to revise with Trish and Livvie that evening. I left them to it. She did go and show her uniform to David, who gave her a huge hug and they both ended in tears. She went and changed with the others but didn’t return to the kitchen. David was quite upset.

He went home before it was time to serve dinner so I had to do it, helped by Stella and Jacquie. The girls went back to their revision and I caught the occasional sight of Trish and Livvie trying to explain various bits to Hannah. I’m not sure if it was helping her or making her more confused.

Finally, they adjourned to their lap tops and she had hers up and running, so Sammi’s work was still excellent. Me? I was next to useless in doing other than the basics. Even Simon was cleverer than I with computers. It was only with bicycles that I had the better knowledge and skills, though he could just about mend a puncture—if I could wait that long for him to do it. I could be off again in fifteen minutes, he took two to three times as long.

Before they went to bed, we took Kiki for a walk, then they had a quick glass of milk and a biscuit and after cleaning their teeth, I saw them all into bed. Hannah complained about being on her own, so with Simon’s help we moved the bed into the girl’s room and she settled down quite happily with the others. I just hope social services don’t ask to see her room again.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

David will likely

Be a good parent for Hanna. Not so sure about Ingrid though.

Children's security

I am not surprised that Hannah would want to sleep with the other girls. We adopted a 3 month old baby girl. Though we did not know it at the time, she was never pleased with being alone in her room. And having already raised a girl and a boy, they were fine with their own rooms. As soon as this baby girl grew, and could do it, she would get out of her crib in the middle of the night and drag her blankets into our bedroom and sleep on the floor. That was all going on 25 years ago, and it has taken me this long to begin to understand.

These days, I would happily sleep on the floor in a room with someone that wanted me.

Nice episode

Gwen.

Foster

Dahlia's picture

As a child I was raised as a foster child. Not because I had no parents but because my mother died when I was 3 and the religious cult I was born into felt it was wrong for a 48 year old widower to raise a small child. I was fostered within this group until I was 11 and in that time I lived with 6 families. When dad remarried I was told that I was the most independent child my step mom had ever seen. That being said, I have learned that I am a pleaser to keep from being shunned or disowned. I'm now 50 and have finally conquered my demons of childhood and abandonment but I can see a child not wanting to be left alone in the dark night alone. It is a terrible thing to learn and be forced to do before the age of 10. The hidden fears take many hours of one's life away trying to get past childhood mental trauma. Some people never get past it and their lives are a mess.
I'm blessed to be free and as a whole, seem to be a normal functioning adult. Mind you I'm transsexual but we'll never know what affect my childhood had on that. I think none!!

Dahlia

Wonder what's up with David......

D. Eden's picture

Strange that Cathy makes a point out of his disappearing before dinner, not to mention his being upset that Hannah didn't come back to the kitchen but rather stayed with the girls.

Something tells me that Hannah is in for the long haul.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Whilst its a

little sad that Hannah choose not to spend time with David, It is i feel quite normal behavior for a young girl to want to spend time with her friends,Hannah is in a little bit of limbo at the moment with her mother recovering from the attack, Who knows where she could end up living , Given her mothers health at the moment its quite possible Cathy's girls could end up as her sisters!

Kirri