Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2613

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2613
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

Back at my parents in law’s house I changed into the dress and did my makeup draping towel across the front of me to protect the dress. A squirt of the Chanel and my jewellery and a watch and I was ready to go. Stella had left a grey wool and silk stole which was embroidered with poppies. It didn’t quite match the dress but it was close enough and popped my purse and mobile into the small grey clutch bag I bought with the shoes.

“You look really nice, Mummy,” offered my fan club.

“You be a good girl for Nanny Monica, won’t you?”

“She won’t give me any trouble,” replied Trish which made Monica goldfish and then laugh. Henry arrived as we were still laughing and he approved of his daughter in law.

We took the limo to the Ritz hotel. En route, I asked Henry to forward me the bill for the dress and shoes. “Cathy, you are on official business for the bank, so the bank will take care of the account.”

“In which case, I should give them to you as soon as we get home.”

“They wouldn’t fit me, so I suggest you keep them—a perk of the job. If you are able to help resolve this business before anyone else gets hurt, I’ll buy you a dozen such dresses.”

“If we can resolve this business, I’ll remind you of your promise, though I suspect you might have to get them in various sizes.”

“Eh?”

“I’m only here because the rest of my family is supporting me, they each deserve a nice frock at the end of it.”

“Fine, that’s what we’ll do then. What dress size is Simon?” We arrived at the hotel chuckling at his pretended silliness and it helped take the edge off our anxiety. “Whatever you do, don’t act nervous or in awe of this guy. He’s clever, he’s powerful but he’s also human and just as vulnerable as you or I.”

“Okay, I’ll just imagine him in his bra and pants then.” Henry snorted at my response.

“Your Lordship, how nice to see you again,” remarked the doorman, “and who is this delightful lady?”

“My daughter in law, Lady Catherine.”

“At your service, Lady Catherine,” he said doffing his hat and bowing.

“Thank you, Albert,” said Henry and shaking his hand put some money in it.

“Have a good evening, your Lordship, your Ladyship.”

A uniformed page met us inside and led us to a small bar where Henry ordered a Scotch with water and I had a dry vermouth. “The other party has just arrived, Lord Stanebury,” announced the page. Henry nodded and ushered me to a table in a nook beside the bar.

“Where are we eating?” I asked him.

“Through there, I think,” he indicated a door just past the bar. As we sipped our drinks, a tall, dark and distinguished looking man appeared with a very lovely blonde woman on his arm. Her dress was exquisite and probably cost thousands as did the Jimmy Choo shoes with skyscraper heels. I felt underdressed already. They walked to the bar and ordered drinks.

“Is that him?” I asked even if was pretty obvious.

“It is.”

“Nearly as good looking as you, Henry,” I said my tongue lodged firmly in my cheek.

“Bless you, my child,” he replied gently tapping my knee. “Here they come.” Henry stood up as the glamorous couple walked towards us.

Henry and the handsome hunk shook hands. “Mr Ambassador, may I present my daughter in law, Lady Catherine.”

The Russian extended his hand and I gave him mine. “Enchanted,” he said with a vague American accent. How is it all these foreigners speak English sounding like they came from Boston?

“Permit me to introduce my wife, Tatiana.” She shook hands with Henry and then with me. My workaday mitts looked neglected compared to her beautifully manicured hands.

“You are also a professor, no?” Tatiana asked me.

“Yes, at Portsmouth University, I teach ecology.”

“I teached English at Moscow university.”

“Ah,” I acknowledged glad I wasn’t on her course.

“Taught, dearest,” corrected her husband.

“Taught?” she queried.

“Past tense of teach.”

“Of course, so silly of me, do forgive me,” she said blushing.

“Your English is better than my Russian,” I confided to her.

We chatted informally for ten or fifteen minutes and had a second drink. This time I went for lime and soda which made Henry’s eyebrows rise. Hard drink to me is one with ice in it. Mr and Mrs Ambassador were knocking back the G and Ts like there was no tomorrow.

Led to our dining room we were introduced to a Mr Spicer from the Foreign Office and some Russian bloke called Georg, I think. They were there to advise us and translate—in other words to try and ensure everybody understood what was being said.

We ate a sumptuous meal for which I would not liked to have paid. I had a fruit starter which was delicious, Henry had the pâté which looked very nice too. I felt anxious not to over eat or drink as it would blunt my mind and the ambassador looked a smart cookie.

Over the meal we chatted about our families. I said with contrived innocence that my husband and daughter were both ill in hospital the one having been kidnapped and left to die, the other having been hit by a car in an attempted murder. I felt Henry wince, but the bastard sitting opposite was responsible. His wife made reassuring noises—so perhaps she didn’t know.

She showed me a photo of her daughter, Nikola. As soon as I saw it I saw a darkness over her right eye. “Pretty girl,” I remarked.

“Yes, she is my precious child.”

“Is she well?”

“Yes, just little headache.”

“Tatiana, please get her headaches checked out.”

“It’s nothing—too much television.”

“Please—for me.”

“You know something? Ecology is not medicine, is it?”

“Cathy gets these hunches,” offered Henry.

“Hunches—places rabbits live?” checked Tatiana.

“Intuitions,” said her husband and she nodded.

“What is matter with Nikola?”

“Probably nothing but please check it out.”

“Embassy doctor don’t say nothing, just eye strain.”

“That’s probably all it is then.” I knew different but why should I help these people who put two of my family in hospital and killed my bodyguard. Their daughter had a tumour pressing on the optic nerve, she would be blind in a month and dead in twelve unless they acted soon.

My main course was fillet of Welsh lamb, Henry had the same the Russians had steak. For dessert I had sorbet though I could have chosen half a dozen other things they looked so enticing. I drank a glass of red wine—a Merlot which went down rather well with my meal. Afterwards coffee and liqueurs—I ordered a sex on the beach, which got some raised eyebrows—so, I like cranberry juice.

The social niceties over, the table was quickly cleared for the main course—our discussions. Mrs Ambassador sat back from the table, I quite pointedly took my place next to Henry. I also asked for tea to be added to the drinks being placed on a side table with fresh milk not the awful UHT sort.

“Lady Catherine is acting as a negotiator?” checked the Russian official.

“Lady Catherine, requested this meeting,” replied Spicer.

“Very well, shall we begin?”

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
277 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The ultimate grace

Dahlia's picture

Cathy's attempt to save this man's daughter after all that has been done to her family shows the ultimate good will and grace. We have all wondered, I'm sure, why she was given such a profoundly wonderful gift even when she does not seem to want it and at times seem to deserve it. As much for her unbelief as for her snarky attitude to the Goddess. When it comes right down to it though, Catherine sees right to the heart of the matter. The child is an innocent and does not deserve to suffer nor die due to the father's poor judgement or behavior.

I can't wait to read the rest of this drama to see if the Russian ambassador's wife will pay heed to this warning. That and how Cathy will point our something so hidden and secretive as to prove her worth as a negotiator and verbal adversary.

Bravo and loud applause to you precious lady, Angharad, for more tittilating adventures of Lady Catherine. Even after these many years of Bike, I can't stop reading nor anticipating the next chapter. Thanks!!

Dahlia

Beautifully drawn out…

Rhona McCloud's picture

… ramping up the tension … blowing the balloon ever larger … tightening the violin string even more before everything… ?

Rhona McCloud

And now the fun begins ...

Although i guess fun is not maybe the best choice of words, This is serious business for all involved , For Cathy its hopefully an end to the worries and tribulations of the past few months, If Cathy gets the answers she wants to hear then in turn she might find a way of telling Tatiana just what it is her daughter is facing ... Quite understandably at the moment Cathy feels less than inclined to help.... For both sides its a case of playing for high stakes, Unfortunately one side does not realise just what they stand to lose ..

Kirri

Speak straight, be blunt -

and come immediately to the point. It's no use beating about the bush when dealing with criminal master-minds, they only respect strength and resolution backed up by ability to deliver a powerful punch.
Still lovin' it.

bev_1.jpg

*sighs*

I never like hearing of a child in distress... Even if the parents (or one of the parents) is evil incarnate, I can't believe the children were at fault. *sighs* I hope Cathy can come to the conclusion that she should give them a better hint as to their daughter's issue.

All that said, I am looking forward to how the conversation between Cathy and the ambassador go. I wonder if his wife is really aware of the things he's either ordered or tacitly approved... (And whether it would make any difference.)

Thank you,
Annette

The hall is rented

The piper is paid and sated, now is the time for the dance to begin.

Tactical and strategically Catherin is spot on, having the moxie to look this look this beast in the eyes,1 she demonstrates her resolve ,2 is able to put a face and energy signature to her stalker allowing for accuracy targeting if things, gang aft agley, 3 offer an olive branch of saving his daughter as evidence of just what she is capable of.

With bated breath I await the next installment of this story. My guess is the wife may just have more leverage than the Ambassador is willing to let on, and following Samuel Clemens adage of Don't appeal to a mans better nature, he may not have one, appeal to there self interest. It will give you more leverage . Catherin appealed to the wife's better nature to appeal to his self interest. Good shot well played.

Huggles

Michele. .

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

I agree along these lines

Podracer's picture

Tatiana could be the key, depending on how he values his wife and daughter.

"Reach for the sun."

I do hope Cathy will help the

I do hope Cathy will help the young girl out by convincing her mother that she has a very severe tumor on her optic nerve. The problem is you just never know how others will react or whether they will actually believe someone who tells them that type of news. I also hope that Cathy can make the Ambassador or who ever is behind him listen to reason and back away or suffer the consequences of their actions.