Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2669

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2669
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
------------------------------------------

“I think Lady Cameron is busy,” said Lorraine to someone who’d just rung the door bell. I only heard it because I’d come to get a cuppa before checking my emails, most of which were from Delia.

“I don’t care, I insist on seeing her immediately.” The voice belonged to a woman so I thought I’d better go and see what it was about. As soon as I saw her my brain guessed at ‘Social Worker’ and not in the context of bee or ant.

“I’m Cathy Cameron, can I help you?”

“You were supposed to be here for us to see the young woman you’re fostering.”

“Sorry, my mistake, I had some urgent business to deal with and completely slipped my mind. Would you care for a cuppa?”

She paused for a moment possibly wondering if it might be poisoned or drugged. “Yes, a cup of tea would be very welcome.”

Lorraine went off to make it while I escorted the thirty something, dumpy woman into my study. “A lovely room,” she observed looking at the shelves of books a few pictures and a large photo of a dormant dormouse. “Of course, you’re something of an expert on these, aren’t you?”

“I know a bit about them.”

“From the acclaim the film received, quite a bit.”

“You have the advantage, Ms…”

“Joyce Whittington.”

“Thank you,” I said before indicating that Lorraine had arrived with the tea. Miss Whittington thanked her and I invited her to join me on the settee. Instead she sat opposite me. It’s a free country, so she could sit where she liked.

“I’ll need to see the child to check she is okay.”

As if by magic, Trish appeared, “Mummy can I watch---oh you’ve got a visitor.”

“May you watch what, darling?”

I sighed, I’d have preferred she watched something more salubrious.

“Is Hannah with you?”

“She’s in the lounge—you want her?”

“Yes please, sweetheart.”

“Okay, I’ll send her in.”

Hannah walked in took one look at Ms Whittington and did an about turn to leave until I asked her to behave.

“Why? She’s a social worker in’she?”

“You have a problem with social workers, young lady?” asked our visitor.

“Doesn’t everyone?”

“And why is that?”

“’Cos you kidnap children and break up families.”

I sat there with my mouth gaping in astonishment.

“Not your sentiment is it, Lady Cameron?”

“No, despite my run ins in the past with some of your erstwhile colleagues I appreciate the difficulties of the job.”

“Ah yes, your file is quite thick with a warning not to enrage or engage without being very sure of your case, because you go to law at the drop of a hat.”

“I do everything I can to protect my children and those in my care.”

“It so helps you are rather wealthy?”

“Your point being?” I challenged.

“Poor people can rarely afford to go to law.”

“So you pick on ’em, don’cha?” interrupted Hannah.

“Oh dear, such cynicism so young.”

“Wassat mean, Auntie Cathie?”

“It means young lady that you have a very poor opinion of me.”

“Yeah, course I do.”

I sat and watched the duel unsure quite what to do.

“So is your Auntie Cathy going to use her wealth to protect you?”

“I dunno do I, why don’t you ask her yourself?”

I nodded, “If necessary.”

“I’m glad to hear it, however, it shouldn’t be necessary. In your absence I spoke to Veronica at the refuge; we know each other quite well given the amount of time we spend on issues arising there. She told me that Hannah’s mother asked you to look after her daughter knowing she was badly injured.”

“Yes she did.”

“In which case, unless it continues more than a couple of months, we don’t need to be involved, so will save the tax payer a few pounds.”

I suspect the surprise registered on my face.

“You look positively shocked, Lady Cameron.”

“No, I’m surprised that you actually agree with my take on the situation.”

“Hannah, I take it you are happy to stay with Lady Cameron while your mother recovers?”

“Yeah.” This was accompanied by a look that implied the question was unnecessary or fatuous or both.

“Lady Cameron, I took the time to read some of the file, so I know about your history and that of your involvement with my department. They were wrong therefore you deserved to win your cases. However, some of my colleagues appear to need to prove how stupid they are when by keeping quiet it might not have been noticed so quickly. I think some of them are also somewhat prejudiced in their outlook and attitudes. I hope I’m more understanding and therefore pragmatic.

“My job is about protection of vulnerable adults and children not scoring points against minority groups of whom I disapprove—not that I disapprove of many. I also read that all assessments of you as a mother and carer were exemplary. I would however, like to see Hannah’s room before I go, just to be able to tick the box.”

I asked Hannah to show her up to her room, they returned a few minutes later. “Everything is perfectly satisfactory. I’ll leave you my card in case you need to notify us of any changes.”

I accepted the card unsure of what I was feeling. She was either very good or able to read minds. “Please believe me, Lady Cameron, we both are working towards the same aim—the safety of the children in our remit—yours appear to be quite safe.”

We shook hands and I hoped she was telling the truth, if she wasn’t, she was an accomplished actor because I think I believed her or wanted to. Hannah seemed unfazed by her interaction with the dumpy social worker and went back to doing homework with Trish and Livvie.

I told her afterwards that I hoped to take her to Southampton to see her mother the next day if the hospital allowed it. She started to cry and it took me half an hour to calm her down.

Getting her to bed was also a bit of a trial as she asked me to sit with her until she went to sleep. Next time, I’ll take my iPad.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
272 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

SS worker

An SS Worker with an actual brain assigned to the case. What will happen next? And how did she manage to get hired by SS?

I am

Maddy Bell's picture

Thinking she is a plant! She cannot possibly be with the SS as they are always, every single one, so far up their own righteous posterior they can see out past their tongues! I think this is a cunning ruse to discredit the Camerons.


image7.1.jpg    

Madeline Anafrid Bell

You have to hope she's genuine

Cathy can come across an intelligent person now and then. Poor Hannah is pretty cynical at 12 years old. Not nice at all.

Beleave it or not.

There are dedicated good people working for SS I have actually had one after a disastrous first two. Both of the first were very anti trans mothers for all the wrong reasons. When after two months of them messing with me they found out 1 I would not go away and 2 they could not make me mad enough to drop kick them to the moon and 3 I was a good and proper mother,

We then had some go around over the second foster parents being very inappropriate, for my GLBT friendly kids. When housing became available I was in, and the transition back home went faster than normal all because of my hard work and Marni's support.
I will not diminish the fear and pain I suffered getting them back but in the end we were no longer homeless and all three of us got the help we needed to make things work.

With those with open eyes the world reads like a book

celtgirl_0.gif

SS workers

I have said it before, along with many other folk: if a social worker acts too late, they're incompetent. If a social worker sees the impending problem and acts early to prevent it, they're evil wreckers of loving families. They can win only on rare occasions. It's one of the reasons I wrote Polly Armitage in the Ride books, as an example of someone doing a job that they feel deeply for, and doing it with compassion, integrity and love.

It's called a vocation. There are still people who are called to jobs like that, rather than working for the money. We should be properly grateful.

Goodness

Angharad's picture

I hope Clare isn't the model for social workers!

Angharad

Kids safe...

Kids safe with Cathy around? Okay, so far not that much collateral damage, but the number of crimes that happen around her might lead one to believe that she were a magnet for such events and as a result not necessarily that safe to be around...

MDS sucks! And gets in the way of my reading. *sighs* (This site is blocked by the infusion center WiFi *sighs*.)

Hopefully I'll be able to catch up again next weekend.

Thanks,
Annette

The other shoe waiting to drop?

So will Cathy receive an unwelcome visitor who is after Hannah (I have this urge to say: 'with her ...') as Hannah's mother I suspect was hurt by someone.

I thought that the home for wayward strays and waifs was full up?