Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 2617

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike, est. 2007)
Part 2617
by Angharad

Copyright© 2015 Angharad

  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

This is a work of fiction any mention of real people, places or institutions is purely coincidental and does not imply that they are as suggested in the story.
@@@@@

250px-British_Museum_from_NE_2.jpg

The British Museum (picture courtesy of Wikipedia)

“What on earth is a you-not?” asked James as we strolled through the galleries.

“Someone with no nadgers,” said Trish smirking.

He paused for a moment then got her meaning. I wasn’t sure if she knew the word eunuch, it was probable, she just enjoyed mangling words and tormenting her audience. It was an indirect way of exerting control. I just about managed to stay one step ahead of her mostly guessing correctly the words she had really mangled from those where she was playing games.

I spotted Tatiana with Nikola and waved, she hurried over to meet us. James was now watching from nearby but pretending to be an ordinary punter. We found a small alcove with some seats being vacated by a family who sounded like they were German—at least that was what I thought they were speaking. Grabbing the seats quickly, Nikola’s mother explained what I was going to do. The child, about Trish’s age looked at me and said, “Angel,” and smiled. Trish smiled back at her and told her she would be all right.

“I told her you were angel,” explained Tatiana, “she happy for you to do cure.”

I nodded then closing my eyes began drawing down the blue energy. James had joked for me not to do the healing in the Ancient Egypt gallery as the mummies would get up and walk out before I’d finished. Trish giggled at that walking round pretending to be a zombie—not that I’d know one from his gait, or Trish’s attempts to do a Michael Jackson moonwalk. Now it was down to business.

I asked the energy to remain invisible to all but those who needed to see it. I could feel its movement but not see it and it was flooding into the young woman’s body at quite a lick. She exclaimed something in Russian and slumped into her mother’s arms. “Don’t worry,” I reassured her mother and placed my hands over her eyes and the back of her head. There was a horrible burning smell and the energy incinerated the tumours. The whole thing took about half an hour and we parted in the museum, me giving Tatiana instructions on how to deal with her. Basically, she would need to sleep for a few hours, have plenty of water to drink and then further rest. She would be back to her normal self in a day or so.

She called us back, “He knows where we are, we have transmitters implanted. If he sees you, he kill you for sure.”

“It might be more than his knickers which catch fire next time if he tries anything.” I’d scanned the youngish man who offered to help Tatiana and her child. Of course the police stood out like sore thumbs so did the Russian agents. James was on the case and one of the Russians, who presumably walked too close to him and got himself jabbed with a needle; he went out like a light.

We escaped a few minutes later, grabbing our coats and bags as we went. James followed discreetly, removing another agent with a little help from his set of syringes.

I don’t know if they even saw him and he walked briskly out from the main entrance and we hurried down the stairs at the front of the Palladian facade. A taxi was just dropping a fare so we commandeered it and set off for Charing Cross.

“This place brings back memories,” said James as we alighted from the cab.

“You didn’t have an operation, did you? Gasped Trish.

“Only to fix the bits your mother left undone.”

“But you told me you couldn’t do the operation with blue light?” she accused me.

“James hasn’t had that sort of operation, silly, he was somewhat perforated by a gang of hoodlums not too far from here and I helped keep him alive until the paramedics came.”

“Don’t believe a word of it, young Trish, I had so many holes in me that if they’d attempted to transfuse me, I’d have looked like a watering can.”

“Like they do in the cartoons?”

“Exactly like that. Your miracle mum managed to somehow plug them so that by the time the blue light brigade arrived I was still alive and hardly bleeding.”

“Did you ever get that awful gun back?”

“Oh yes, and it is well secreted somewhere.”

“It was a huge thing, Trish, it fired a bullet through the engine of the car and killed the driver. The noise was deafening, my ears were ringing for half an hour later.”

“Is that when you borrowed the Porsche?” asked Trish.

“Yes, its rightful owner was in hospital so didn’t exactly need it and it would have run up huge parking fines, besides I needed a lift home—so I borrowed it.”

We made our way up to high dependency, Sammi had been transferred there and had managed to persuade a nurse to send me a text. I had her phone, her iPad and a clean nightdress in my bag.

I sent Trish in while we spoke to the sister on the unit. She was carrying the new nightdress I’d bought a day or two before, when I got Trish a new one. I could hear Sammi oohing and ahing from the nurse’s station. I explained to the sister what the noises were all about and she rolled her eyes. “It’s just a nightdress, isn’t it?”

I nodded.

“Perhaps I’d better investigate,” she walked off to see Sammi.

“So a couple more days then?” said James repeating what the sister had said. Sammi was making a full recovery and doubtless Trish was shoving in some more of the blue stuff as we strolled up to Sammi’s bed in small private room.

We chatted and I handed over her hardware but reminded her she was on sick leave and not to contact the bank. “But who’s going to maintain the firewall?”

“It’s been done,” I said and Trish smirked.

“You’re not?”

Trish smirked and nodded.

“You didn’t?”

Trish nodded again.

“How could you?”

“You showed me a couple of weeks ago, you told me to hack it and I did, remember?”

“Yeah, well I had to leave one flaw in it so it had something to correct.”

“It didn’t, I had to do it yesterday.”

Sammi shook her head and wailed, “Noooo.”

“What’s the matter, darling?”

“The bank let her play with my toys.”

“She did a good job according to Gramps.”

“That’s what I was afraid of.”

“I don’t want your job, silly.”

“You don’t?”

“Nah, I’m after Gramps’ job.” We all laughed at this but she might have been serious. We spent about an hour with Sammi who said she’d text as soon as she was coming home and I promised we’d collect her.

That was until we had a spot of bother leaving the hospital involving some more people with Russian accents.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
265 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Always Nice To Come Home To This

littlerocksilver's picture

Why don't the Russki's give it up? They're not too good about getting the message.

Portia

I get the feeling by the time

thliwent's picture

I get the feeling by the time it's over there's gonna be a long trail of russian you-nots.

If it wasn't for EAFOAB...

persephone's picture

I wouldn't have to stay up late to make sure I got my daily literary endorphin fix.
So I could then get up at stupid o'clock and go for a healthy early morning run, make myself a healthy breakfast, then do all the house work and get my make up on without cursing and still be in the office by seven thirty!

Sod it… I'd rather read 'Bike'

:)

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Incineration then?

Perhaps she should just cause the malcontent Ambassador to immolate himself? Judging by Putin, Russians to not just give up. Perhaps offering them something that seems honorable in their eyes?

Gwen

The Bolshoi Ballet?

Rhona McCloud's picture

Assumptions are the mothers of all f*** ups and just because they have Russian accents Cathy's blue light might be busy mending the sore toes of the Bolshoi Ballet Dancers

Sammi just knows that Trish will have had a clever plan and done something diabolical to the bank's security system like having it divert funds and call for pizza delivery to wherever Trish demands.

Rhona McCloud

Well maybe

But keep in mind it is almost a certainty that at least one member of the Bolshoi is really an FSB agent.

Trying again...

I tried posting once, but BCTS told me "You are not authorized to post comments." when I clicked the "Save" link at the bottom... Which was quite a surprise... Of course, my original comment was full of the most amazing prose and astute commentary. Sadly, I doubt I'll be able to recall the best of it, but here's a go...

I'm glad the girl will be better! I hope the heat from killing the tumor didn't impact her elsewhere... That'd be very sad. Trish's contributions were interesting. I wonder if she and the young girl will become "pen palls" behind their parent's backs (at Trish's initiation...).

The exit was interesting... I hope no bystanders were injured in the making of the departures... :-)

Thanks,
Annette

Yes that has happened to me on more than one occasion

I am using the Firefox browser, mind, but what to do is to use the back button until you get back to the page where you entered your comment and make a copy of it. It you are using Windows, you just highlight your comment and then then hit Control-C to copy. I am pretty sure you know the latter but just in case ....

Sadly

The back button didn't take me to a page with my prose... I did try. :-) And, I'm using Chrome.

Annette

Never underestimate Trish

Henry's successor is waiting in the wings...

“I don’t want your job, silly.”
“You don’t?”
“Nah, I’m after Gramps’ job.”

Well yes and no

She is certainly smart enough to pickup on banking and stuff but Henry's position is as much about people skills and such which Trish is progressing no better than anyone else, and is vulnerable to being arrogant. Her 'Social IQ' imho is below average and at best average and will hinder her in the business world.

Again?

I'm reminded of the old song, "When will they every learn?"

Red MacDonald

Well then...

This is quite a pickle.. Here I am having been convulsed with laughter to the point that my middle is sore... and now I have to go make the acquaintance of the bloody cliff wildlife!

This cliff hanging, while good for the ornithologist that I'm sure is hiding somewhere deep in my psyche, is murder on the nails...

Thank you

Battery.jpg

Someone needs to start playing the......

D. Eden's picture

Persona non grata game with a few Russians.

Either that or Cathy needs to get more agressive in order to force them to back off.

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

I am now of the frame of mind

I am now of the frame of mind that Cathy needs to unleash her secret weapons on the Russians and that would be Trish, Sammi and Lizzie Between the three of them, they should be able to take all of Russians down and leave no trail doing so.

It is possible

he wants to talk peace, Having someone appear bathed in blue light and winged would have to be disconcerting. His walls aren't the fortress he thought they were.

It could well be

the case Wendy , Although the fact that Cathy mentioned a spot of bother does tend to suggest that the Russians fancied one last go, Whether it will prove to be any more successful than any of their previous attempts is i would suggest highly unlikely given the back -up Cathy has at her disposal, You would have to think that faced with the problems Cathy seems to be able to give them they will move on to an easier target .... That is if they are still alive to do so !!!

Kirri