Fairyland Trail, Part 1

Printer-friendly version

A sensitive boy is gently asked to crossdress to allow his mom to go on an 'all-girls' minivacation to a National Park. Soon after arriving at the hotel McKenzie is read by a girl who gives him a mixed message. The park is a big place and he hopes he can avoid her for the rest of the trip. Will McKenzie be able to pass as a girl when out hiking?

Part 1 -
I was thinking about my Mom as I dragged myself home from school. I should have been happy - this was the start of a long weekend for my school's Fall Break. Instead I was concerned. For months now Mom had seemed really down, and I wished I could do something, anything, to cheer her up. Aunt Karen and my cousin Kaylie also were concerned about Mom and had been spending a lot of time over at our house. I didn't mind the visits. Kaylie is my age, and we have a lot of interests in common.

I suppose being close friends with a girl cousin is unusual for a boy my age, but Mom thought it was delightful. She often remarked that I seem a bit intimidated by other boys my age because of my short height and slender build. She seemed to be encouraging my hanging out with Kaylie, even when seemed to be doing girlish things. Dad, when he was around, thought otherwise. He was always irritated whenever I failed to measure up to his macho expectations. He especially hated the fact that Kaylie and I took piano lessons together. Fortunately for me, he is in the military and has been deployed most of the time since I started school. My role models while growing up have been Mom, Aunt Karen, and Kaylie.

My heart sank as I came through the back door of our house. Mom was sitting at the kitchen table crying and Aunt Karen was standing with her arm on Mom's shoulder. She indicated I should sit down and be quiet.

"Kaylie will be here soon," my aunt whispered.

I sat at the table dreading whatever news I was about to get. Just then the door opened and my cousin rushed in, looked around, and gave me a hug. I wanted to ask what was going on, but my intuition told me that this would make Mom cry more, so I waited, Finally Mom collected herself and looked up.

"You father, the pompous, self-important, war-hero Master Sergeant Jared C. Clark, called and said he wants a divorce right now. He admitted he has been having an affair throughout his last deployment, and now wants to carry on with his war-bride girlfriend." Mom paused wipe her eyes. "I know I should have seen this coming, but the rejection ...."

We all sat around sharing tears and hugs. Eventually Aunt Karen asked, "Did he say anything about McKenzie?"

Hearing my name made me look up. It was supposedly an old family name from a great-grandfather on my Mother's side, but McKenzie is also becoming more common as a girl's first name. My name was another thing that annoyed my father. Once Mom told me that I was born while he had been on deployment and she never consulted him about names.

Mom looked up. "He wants a new family. I asked if he had considered his son. Is response was 'You can keep that sissy faggot -- he will never be a soldier anyway!' McKenzie, I know this hurts, but the truth is that your father has rejected both of us." We were all crying together again.

Eventually things calmed down and Aunt Karen took charge. "Carol, what you need is to get away from this house. You love the outdoors. How about a girls' outing to Bryce Canyon National Park? It will be fun; sun, beautiful scenery, and you will be away from the reminders of that man who shoved his ego into you life."

"A vacation sounds like what you need, Aunt Carol," Kaylie chimed in.

"Yes, Mom. You need to be cheered up. Do it!" I added. As the encouraging comments continued from my aunt and cousin I realized Aunt Karen had said 'girl's outing.' How was I going to fit in?

Finally Mom smiled for the first time since I had gotten home. "Yes, that sounds like what I need. A relaxing trip, free from men. . Just fun times for us girls. Karen, it will remind me of when we were in Girl Scouts together. Those outings are my fondest memories from growing up."

"Can I go with you?" I finally had the courage to ask.

Mom, Karen, and Kaylie all turned toward me. "Forgive me for not thinking, Of course, I want you with me this weekend, I guess the next best thing to a girl's outing will have to be three girls plus one ..."

"McKenzie, I have a favor to ask you," Aunt Karen cut in. "I proposed a girl's outing, and you mother was enthusiastic. How would you like to do her the biggest favor imaginable?"

"What do you mean?"

"McKenzie, dear, you have always been gentle and sensitive. You really fit in well with girls, and ..."

Kaylie cut in on Aunt Karen, "Yes, McKenzie is always hanging out the me and my girlfriends at school."

"Wait, Kaylie. I need to ask McKenzie something important" She looked at me very seriously. "Could you pretend to be a girl for a couple of days so you mother can go on an all-girls trip? A female adventure is what she needs to recover from a bad relationship with that disgusting man."

I didn't know what to think. I wanted to do whatever I could to cheer mom up, but this sounded absolutely weird. I enjoyed chilling with Kaylie and her friends, but never considered myself to be one of the girls. I would never be able to live down being caught doing this. I saw Kaylie trying to suppress a giggle. "I don't know. Would you like that, Mom?"

Before Mom could answer Aunt Karen cut in. "Please, McKenzie, do it for your Mom. I am sure everything will work out."

"Wow, making McKenzie into a girl for the trip sounds like fun."

"Don't tease, Kaylie. I have asked McKenzie to do something very special for your Aunt Carol."

"It would be nice to revisit our Girl Scout days, and share the experience with our children," Mom said faintly.

"Mom, if it makes you happy I will do whatever you want, and ..."

"Marvelous," Aunt Karen cut in. "Now dear, we will not expect you to go overboard. No flamboyant outfits. This will be an outing to a national park with sightseeing and trail hikes. For times like that girls wear practical clothes, and that is all we will ask of you. But, I will expect you to act like a real girl. That shouldn't be too hard, you have been spending a lot of time with Kaylie and her friends anyway, and I have even noticed you picking up a few mannerisms. We can all coach you along."

At this Kaylie could no longer restrain herself. "I guess your Auntie will not be putting you in pretty petticoats for a while yet, cousin, but maybe someday. Since your father thinks you are a sissy faggot you can return the favor by acting like one for your Mom."

"KAYLIE!" Aunt Karen shouted. "You cousin is doing something wonderful for his mother's sake. The least you can do is be supportive. Now apologize."

"OK, I'm sorry, I shouldn't have teased you, McKenzie. I promise to be supportive and help you learn to be a girl on the trip."

"And where did you get those ideas about petticoats, Kaylie," asked Aunt Karen in a stern voice.

"McKenzie and I were digging though some old books in the library once and we found a Victorian story about a little boy whose aunt made him wear petticoats and play with dolls. We both looked at the story, and ..."

I had to say something fast. I did not want her to say anything about how much I enjoyed the story. That day she had watched me read it twice before putting the book back on the shelf. "Kaylie, I accept your apology, Let's be friends."

She looked up and our eyes met. "Great, I always wanted a girl cousin. It will be fun to do this together."

"Let's all go over to my house tonight. It will get Carol away from the Master Sergeant's junk that is still here, and McKenzie can try on some of Kaylie's clothes. We can finish packing and head off very early tomorrow morning. It's a long drive."

That evening the conversation and assignment of dinner chores made it seem like they were already treating me as a girl. Afterwards I was ushered into Kaylie's room and Aunt Karen pulled open the closet.'

"Fortunately you and Kaylie are close in size so we have a lot to work with. Now, let's see. How about a pair of cute boot-cut jeans? They have a nice design on the back pockets that will make your behind look more feminine." She glanced at me standing uneasily, "Sorry, dear. I don't want to embarrass you. This should be a fun chance to explore a different side of your wonderful personality." Holding up a distinctly girl-style western shirt she continued, "Perfect, nice lines and the color of the plaid almost matches your red face, A cowgirl look will be perfect - lady like, but practical for hiking and not too outlandish for a boy. Try it on. Now let me find something a bit more dressy to wear if we go out to dinner."

Kaylie was sitting on her bed looking amused. Meanwhile, I was slowly relaxing and starting to enjoy learning about options in girls' clothes. "Is this going to really work? What about my hair?"

"Kaylie, find that clip-on pony tail you got for cheerleading. I need to see if the hair color is a good match on McKenzie. If not she can wear a cap to cover between her bangs in front and the sporty ponytail. McKenzie, don't fidget. You need to get used to female pronouns. Kaylie, get your pink princess nightgown for McKenzie. She will need something pretty to sleep in."

Mom wandered in and smiled. "McKenzie, you will make a wonderful girl for the trip. Turn sideways, dear. Karen, don't you think McKenzie will look a bit more convincing with some, you know, shape on top?"

"Well, I was not going to push her, but now that you mentioned it, maybe. Kaylie, do you still have any of your training bras, or did you throw them all out?"

"Anything for my cute girl cousin. I think I still have a few" Kaylie rummaged through her drawers and came back holding something frilly.

"McKenzie, take of that cowgirl shirt and your ugly boy undershirt. Let's see if this one fits. Don't be embarrassed undressing, it's just girls here."

Nervously I did as asked. Having my bra straps being adjusted by my Mom on one side and my Aunt on the other was an experience I never imagined before today.

"Marvelous," exclaimed Kaylie. "I found the matching panties too."

"She can wear those, but I think a girl like McKenzie will also need some extra help 'down there' to make sure that girl-style jeans fit properly. Carol, do you remember the TV show where a crossdresser was explaining how he tucked then wore two pairs of really tight panties? Why don't you show McKenzie ..."

This was going too far. "Remember I watched that show too. I can figure this out." I grabbed the panties and headed for the bathroom. After a bit of struggling I had everything pushed into place and my tightly fitted jeans back on.

I could see all six eyes focused on my vee as I came back. "Perfect! Totally convincing." Everyone seemed satisfied except me. The feeling was not exactly comfortable. "Now we need to show you how to walk and wiggle your pretty rear end," Aunt Karen added.

What followed was a crash course in feminine walking, sitting, and holding my hands. Aunt Karen or Mom would ask Kaylie to do something that I was expected to imitate. I tried to be a good sport about all this and made a real effort to learn.

Finally Aunt Karen called it quits. "McKenzie, just remember what you have been practicing and imitate Kaylie. No one will suspect you are a boy underneath."

Kaylie couldn't resist. "You are really good at this. I guess something rubbed of from all the time you have been spending with my friends at school."

"Tomorrow we can fix her hair a bit and add a touch of makeup. Nothing fancy, just what Kaylie usually wears," Mom added. "Does Kaylie have any magnetic earrings? Some accessories would be a nice touch, but I obviously don't have time to go to the mall and get McKenzie's ears pierced tonight."

"Mom, this girl stuff is just for the weekend!" I protested.

Mom pulled me into a hug. "Dear, I was just joking. I know you are a boy, but you are pretending to be my daughter for a weekend. That shows how empathetic and sensitive you are. Don't worry - no one is going to make you do something you do not want,"

It was getting toward bedtime, and it had been an emotional day. "McKenzie can sleep on the bunk bed in Kaylie's room. I am sure they will behave; after all they are first cousins. Besides, we will all be in one motel room tomorrow night."

Kaylie was carrying on with girlish chatter as we got ready and climbed into our beds. "You know, sleepovers are a big part of growing up as a girl. Enjoy the opportunity. Making you into a girl is going to be lots of fun."

I started at the wall in the dark. What had I gotten myself into and how would this adventure end?
****************

Well before dawn the next morning I got up and started putting on the clothes that Aunt Karen had picked out the night before. Kaylie watched closely and made sure I had everything right. While Mom loaded the car I was given the final touches. Karen and Kaylie took great delight in fitting me with the fake ponytail, combing my hair into bangs, and adjusting my cap with the ponytail extending above the adjusting strap behind. This was not the end. Magnetic earrings went on my unpierced lobes with a warning not to lose them. Next came some pale pink lipstick and a hint of blush. Kaylie pushed me back as I started to get up.

"Your nails look awful for a girl. We can't make them grow, but at least I can file them and put on a coat of polish," She quickly went to work. "I'll be done quick, Mom, McKenzie can learn to hold her hands properly and let her nails dry in the car."

I was still holding my hands in midair as the car headed up the ramp and accelerated onto Interstate 15. It would be several hours before we crossed to Highway 89 and then took Highway 12 to Bryce Canyon. This gave me plenty of time to worry about whether I could really pass as a girl. Meanwhile, Mom, Aunt Karen, and Kaylie chatted about both the scenery and exclusively girl topics like romance novels, chic flicks, and fashions, They kept trying to pull me into the conversation, but a lot of the topics were unfamiliar. Kaylie pulled out a copy of Cosmo Girl and handed it to me. "Here, you can read up on what interests other girls our age."

I actually found some of the articles interesting. Maybe I was more of a girl than I had expected. Anyway, after a couple hours I started regretting having both juice and coffee with breakfast. Not only did I have to go, but I realized that I was going to have to use a public restroom. That was not something I had prepared for. Maybe I could sneak into the men's and use a stall for privacy. A moment's reflection told me that would not work. Even if no one noticed my shirt buttoned right over left and my tight-fitting jeans there was the matter of the ponytail, earrings, and nail polish.

My thoughts were interrupted by Mom's announcement that we would take a rest break at the next exit. To my relief, she pulled into a Maverick store, a popular chain in the area. I knew most of the older style Maverick stores had a single, unisex restroom, which usually meant a line, but would make things much easier for me. Fortunately I was right. As we waited Kaylie whispered in my ear, "Be patient. Waiting in line to pee is part of being a girl. Grin and bear it."

Finally we were all done and had gotten another round of drinks and snacks for the next leg of the trip. I was amazed by the morning sunlight on the cliffs and changing leaves as we headed east on scenic Highway 12 toward Bryce Canyon park. The enjoyment of the scenery was countered by the increasingly urgent need for another rest stop. I asked if we could pull of at a roadside rest area, since most of the forest service areas also had unisex facilities. Unfortunately, the first one we passed was closed for construction, and we missed the turnoff for the Red Canyon Visitor Center. Mom told me to be patient; we would be there soon,

Finally we arrived at Ruby's Inn, the huge hotel and restaurant complex just outside the National Park. Mom stopped in the registration parking at the front entrance. I couldn't wait any longer and jumped out of car. I dashed through the rustic doors and spotted the 'restrooms' sign over the hall straight ahead. I didn't wait for Kaylie who could have offered me some etiquette guidance and moral support. Instead, I ran down the hall, turned left, pushed through the door at the end of the side hall, and rushed into first stall I saw ahead. I pulled down my jeans and panties, sat down, and finally let go.

As I relieved myself I suddenly realized I was in trouble. Looking through the crack around the door I saw that across from the toilet stalls there was a row of urinals. In my rush I had either not read the door signs, or my urgency had distracted me from choosing the one appropriate for my appearance. Fortunately, I seemed to be the only one in the men's room at the moment. Maybe I could sneak out without being seen.

Just then a crowd of high school age boys piled in. At least I was still in the stall where they couldn't see me. Then I realized I was wearing a pair of Kaylie's brightly colored running shoes with pink laces. These would be a giveaway if any looked under the partition. I pushed the cuffs of my jeans down over the shoes the best I could, pulled my feet back under the bowl and waited, nervously.

Finally they left. I pulled up my jeans, and rearranged my cap to sort of cover the clip-on ponytail. I stuck my hands into my pockets to hide my nails, listened again, then dashed out. As I entered the hall I saw the ladies' door on my left. I guess I had missed that turn on my way in. Just then a girl my age came out the women's restroom door and momentarily blocked the hallway ahead of me.

She continued to block the hallway as she checked me out head to toe. There was really nothing I could do. I hoped Mom, Karen, or Kaylie would come around the corner and rescue me.

"Hello, cowgirl. Cute outfit, those fancy jeans really look good on a boy."

"W... What do you mean?"

"Don't try to deny it. I watched you run like a boy when you dashed through the front door. Besides, you just came out of the men's room. So, tell me why are you dressed in girls' style jeans and shirt? Pull your hands out of you pockets, real girls don't stand like that."

I pulled out my hands and saw her smile as she saw my bright red nails. "Please, don't make fun of me. I am only doing this because my Mom needed cheering up and ...."

"Your Mom is cheered up by this?"

"It was my Aunt's idea. She wanted to take my Mom on an all-girl outing, and ..." Her eyes rolled as I nervously related my story.

"OK. No teasing, but it seems weird for your mom to ask for this. And I can't imagine any boy I know going along - you must be special in a way, or maybe the other way." She pulled back and checked me out again. "You have potential, ask your mom to give you some more lessons in being a girl. What's your name, cowgirl?"

"McKenzie"

"My name is StacyLyn. Now that I know your secret you have to be nice to me, or else." With that she turned and headed into the main hall.

I followed a few steps behind StacyLyn, and to my relief I say Aunt Karen and Kaylie heading toward me.

"You mother is finishing up at registration and we need to freshen up. Are you all right? We were concerned when you dashed in alone. You haven't had much experience in public and it would have been safer to have one of us with you. "

I reassured them that everything was OK, but decided not to mention the incident with StacyLyn. This was a big tourist place and I figured that I would not see her again. I decided to wait in the main hall while they went into ladies' room. I had been read once already and did not want to be read again as a nervous boy intruding into space reserved for females. I had survived a potential crisis, but now someone outside the family knew about me. As we walked back down the main hallway toward the entrance I had a chance to look around. The place was a combination of an old-west rustic lodge and a modern tourist hotel. Massive wood beams, high ceilings, hunting trophies mounted on the walls recalled the local ranching and wildland heritage. Overpriced paintings on the walls and the General Store full of souvenirs indicated a more commercial side of this place. I was looking forward to a walk in the park. I needed some space to calm myself back down.

We drove from the hotel to the park visitor center so Mom could pick up a hiking map. While I was admiring the big telescope in the lobby I spotted StacyLyn standing outside the auditorium entrance. Luckily, she did not seem to notice me, and I quickly turned and started toward the information desk where Mom was just finishing up.

"McKenzie, what do you want to do? We can leave for a hike now or watch the park movie in the auditorium first."

Guessing that StacyLyn was in the auditorium my answer was obvious. "Hike now, Mom."

"OK, we will go all the way around the loop on the Fairyland Trail. The Ranger said it is long but really popular."

Fairyland Trail, I thought that was probably an appropriate name given how I was dressed. Just then Kaylie came over and joined us.

"Given your urgent needs when we arrived at Ruby's Inn I think you better let me escort you to the ladies' room before we hike. You know, it is really inconvenient for us girls to go behind a bush."

"Kaylie, stop teasing your cousin," Aunt Karen responded. "But she is right, McKenzie. Go with her. Remember that girls always wash their hands and check their makeup in the mirror. Relax, act natural, imitate Kaylie, and no one will notice anything unusual."

With that we headed around the corner toward the restrooms. I glanced at the skirted figure on the door sign as we went in.This was the 'right' one given my appearance. Inside I saw a crowd of Asian tourists chatting in a language I didn't understand. Good, I thought, at least I won't be able to understand them if these women notice anything and start talking about me.

"Now be sure you sit down in the stall," Kaylie said in a voice loud enough that I hoped none of the Asian women understood English well.

I did my business, washed, then checked myself in the mirror. Kaylie smiled and handed me a tube of what looked like lipstick. Actually it was labeled as 'sunscreen with a hint of color.' Trying my best to act natural I touched up my lips and gave it back. She smiled approvingly.

We headed out of the Visitor Center. My doubts remained as we headed to the shuttle bus staging area. I doubted I could pull this off, but I was not going to hide in the woods while they hiked. As I climbed into the bus I noticed StacyLyn coming out from the visitor center. It must have been a short movie. At least we were not on the same bus. I sat down and flicked my ponytail free so it would have a nice bounce. I had no choice, so I better act the part.

The bus was mostly empty and being away from the crowds helped me start to relax. Part way there I started to worry again as I thought about spending several hours on the trail. I knew we would encounter many other hikers on the trail, and I wondered if they would notice my boyish walk Mom must have guessed what I was thinking.

"Don't worry, you look OK. People will be looking at the scenery, not at you."

Kaylie couldn't resist adding, "Besides I know a lot of tomboys who look and act less like a girl than you do, pretty cousin."

"Kaylie, stop teasing her. Remember, McKenzie, the three of us will be right with you for support."

Mom decided to get off the shuttle at the first overlook for a quick view, and then take the next bus to the Fairyland Trail. The delay at the overlook must have been when StacyLyn and her family got ahead of us.

To be continued.

up
178 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Good start

Good story so far, is StacyLyn friend or foe? Look forward to next chapter.

Fairyland Trail, Part 1

McKenzie is a sweet boy for being a girl for the trip, but that cousin Kaylie of his can out him if she keeps up her teasing and Stacy is a wild card that is best not seen.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good Story!

The father - I'm not going to comment about him (I ranted my lungs out about a nasty one in another story still ongoing) unbelievable. Poor Mckenzie :(

On the bright side, seems to have a lot of support, and it seems they really want to allow he(r) to open up and blossom. I do detect the mother isn't sure yet if Mckenzie really is a daughter inside, hiding, or else just a really femme type son. Mckenzie would be fine either way in this supportive family situation. It really does boil down to which s(he) prefers to be.

Sephrena

a new twist..

... on an old theme - try this, to help your Mom...... Wish someone had tried that with me years ago!!!! I'm on my way, (trying to remember the name of the place we stayed in Bryce.....!) Love Ginger xx