The Princess and the Plague : 12

Printer-friendly version
The Princess and the Plague
(Life after Camp Kumoni)

By Anistasia Allread
Edited by Nick B

“Whoa, freaky,” his mom gasped.

“Gee thanks mom,” Erika scoffed.

     

duckling.jpg

Eric swung a bat, then traded it for another and swung that one. Other than playing softball at camp, he hardly ever took part in this kind of activity. When he was eight, he had been on a T-ball team. He hadn’t been any good. As usual, he was too weird, too uncoordinated and too immature to enjoy the game.

“Find a good one?” his dad asked coming out of the building.

“I guess so.”

“Here, take this.” His dad handed him a card that read ‘Sluggers’.

“What’s this?” Eric asked.

“It’s a prepaid card,” his dad hefted a bat. “This place isn’t very far from your school, so I figured if you got a bit stressed and needed to hit something, you could, you know, come here and whack at some balls.”

“Uh, thanks dad.” Eric didn’t know what to say. He stuck the card into his pocket and settled the helmet on his head.

“I’m too out of practice and too old to try fast pitch just yet. Shall we try the soft ball cage?” his father asked.

“Sure.” Eric followed his dad around the large cage to the slow pitch cages.

“How are things going at school?” his dad asked settling into a batting stance.

“Fine I guess.” Eric shrugged even though his dad’s back was turned to him.

The yellow ball was lobbed. His dad swung and missed, “Your mom says that you’ve been having a hard time.”

Eric groaned inwardly. This was what the ‘guy time’ was about. Dad concerned about Eric fitting in at school. “It’s no big deal,” he stated.

“It’s a big deal when you’re too worried about bullies to concentrate on your school work.” His dad swung at another ball catching a corner, but the yellow ball slapped the ground and bounced into the cage behind him. “You know I was picked on when I was around your age too.” His dad choked up on the bat.

Eric had heard this lecture and story so many times, that he muttered the words under his breath as his dad launched into his spiel.

Yes, yes, Eric thought. I’ve got to get some confidence and stand up to the bullies, show them that I’m not scared. Force them to back down. I got it, I got it. Boy did I ever get it. Does he have any idea how much duct tape hurts when it is ripped off your balls?

His dad stood up out of his crouch and stepped back and gestured for Eric to take his turn.

Eric stood in the batter’s box resting the bat on his shoulder.

“You’ve got to get down into a good crouch, put all of your weight on your back foot and be ready to shift it on to your front foot as you follow through,” his dad instructed from outside the cage.

Eric saw the light come on at the machine and did what his dad had told him, as he swung at the ball. The bat vibrated as it connected with the ball sending it against the far side of the cage.

His dad beamed. “See? What did I tell you? Nice hit.”

Eric didn’t have the heart to inform his dad that he had been on one of the winning softball teams at camp.

“What I guess I’m saying is that if you are willing to go through with it, that I’d be willing to pay for some self-defense classes. I have a friend who is a black belt in judo or something like that. I’d bet he’d be willing to show you a few moves to —you know, protect yourself.”

Eric swung at the ball imagining it was his dad’s friend’s head and sent it out over the machines.

“Good hit, son,” he encouraged. “I’m sure if you liked it, and you set your mind to it, you could probably earn a black belt in karate or something.”

Or end up getting my ass kicked in a sparring match by an eight-year-old kid, Eric thought.

“I’m doing okay so far this year, Dad.” He swung and chopped a ball right, “No one is picking on me so far. In fact, I’ve been making friends.”

“That’s good to hear.” His dad’s voice held doubt. “I still think it would be a good idea if you were to take some self-defense classes after school.”

Eric’s heart skipped a beat. A yellow softball hit the ground behind him as he swallowed. “I’ve kind of joined a club at school,” Eric tossed out. He wracked his brain trying to figure out what to tell his dad; anything but rally squad. If his parents knew about rally squad, they’d want to pick him up from practice and start going to the games to watch. They would know he’d been transforming into Erika.

“Oh? What club did you join?” His father sounded interested.

“It’s a journalism, political cartoonist club,” Eric made up.

His dad nodded. “You do like to draw.”

Eric dug himself deeper. “Since it is the beginning of the school year, we are meeting every day after school, to get a jump on our project.”

“Sounds like a big and important project. Still, I’m sure they can let you miss one meeting a week to learn some karate, or kung fu.”

“I don’t know.” Eric swung at a ball and missed. “I’ll ask though.”

“Great! Tell your mom what kind of classes you want to take, and she’ll set them up.”

Eric swallowed a lump. “Thanks dad.”

The two of them moved up to a slow pitch hard ball cage to swing at some more balls.

His dad tipped his head. “Check out the skirt.” He said under his breath. For Eric’s ears only.

Eric turned and saw a pretty young lady. The skirt was indeed quite cute, but Eric felt that he as Erika could wear it better than she did, and the shoes she picked to wear with it were hideous. How could she walk out of the house wearing those god-awful things with such a nice skirt?

“You should go ask her if she wants to hit a few balls.”

“Yeah, right dad.” Eric scoffed.

“I’m serious. Go on.”

Eric gave his dad a long hard look, his dad returned it. Eric shrugged his shoulders and slowly walked towards the girl, wondering what he could possibly say to her.

She had dark hair that had been highlighted, which she wore very straight.

“Hi.” Eric managed.

The girl turned to see him. “Hi,” she returned.

“That is a cute skirt, where did you find it?” Eric asked.

“Macy’s.” She turned away and suppressed a giggle.

“I was hitting some balls over in the cages and wondered if you might want to try a few?”

The girl giggled and looked up as a large guy approached.

“What are you doing speaking to my girlfriend, plague?” Todd demanded. Todd was one of the largest players on the football team that was to protect the quarterback.

“I was just making conversation.” Eric forced a smile.

“He’s ‘The Plague’?” the girl asked.

“The one and only,” Todd said as if presenting an anomaly. “Get out of here and don’t ever talk to her again.”

“Sorry,” Eric apologized. He turned to walk away as Todd spat at him.

Eric’s face was red with rage as he approached his dad.

“Sorry, Eric, I didn’t know she had a boyfriend.”

“Can we go?” Eric growled.

“Don’t you want to hit a few more?”

“No. I want to go home.”

“Alright, don’t get your panties in a bunch. Let’s grab some lunch before we head home,” his dad suggested.

Eric couldn’t help wondering if his panties were in a bunch. They didn’t feel like it. They still felt soft and cozy next to his skin.

They picked up some burgers on the way and devoured the fries before they pulled into the driveway.

After eating their sandwiches, Eric escaped up to his room. He logged on to his computer and shifted through his email.


Hey Erika,

I hope school is going as well for you as it is me. Thanks to your incredible drawings, I’ve been able to write a lot. My friends who have seen the story and your drawings are all impressed. I wish there was a way that we could get together and talk. I think our school plays yours the second to last game of the season. Maybe we could hook up then. I’ll buy you a latte or something and we can catch up.

Let me know what’s going on with you. Missing you bunches,

Matt

Eric smiled. Erika will have to write Matt a long email detailing the trials and tribulations of a teenage girl when she had more time.

She scrolled down.


What’s up girlfriend?

Derek and I are doing well. Our parents approve so much of one another that we are allowed to get together almost every weekend. He is sooo great!

His mom is so cool! She has some of the best tips and ideas for us midgets on how to do things. Derek’s dad built her whole kitchen so that everything was easy for her to work with. We don’t have to stand on step stools to cook or even to wash our hands. It’s amazing. Even the bathroom is scaled down for us.

Derek’s dad is taking us to a comic book convention next week. I’ve never been before, I’m a bit nervous. Isn’t there like a whole lot of geeks at those things? Derek seems all excited about it, so it should be fun.

What’s going on with my Lavender Lady friends?
Write soon,

Dani

A soft knock came at the door.

“Yes?” Eric answered.

The door opened and his mother poked her head in, “Your dad is gone. You need to get ready for Dr. Barts. She said she wanted to meet you as… you know. Do you have clothes and makeup and stuff?”

“Yes.” Eric blushed. “I’ve got it taken care of. Thanks mom.” He signed off his computer.

“I’ll be downstairs.” She closed the door.

Eric pulled out the outfit he had hung in the closet last night and dug the other things out of his duffle and went into the bathroom.

---o0o---

Erika checked her face one last time in the mirror and applied a touch more lip gloss. She stood back and admired the blue and white floral sun dress and short, white knit sweater that went over the top. She slipped into her light-colored flats and deposited the tube of gloss into her purse before walking downstairs.

“Ready mom,” she sang as she descended.

“Whoa, freaky,” his mom gasped.

“Gee thanks mom,” Erika sneered, somewhat put out at the reaction.

“No, I mean, that it’s freaky because looking at you is like me looking in the mirror but twenty years ago.”

Erika stepped off the last step.

“Thanks mom.” She smiled, went up to her mother and kissed her on the cheek.

“Uh, we should be going,” Mrs. Martin stated slightly embarrassed, grabbing her purse.

The ride in the car to Dr. Barts was a bit awkward. Erika’s mother kept stealing silent looks at her son/daughter.

“Where did you get the clothes?” she asked.

“The girls from camp loaned them to me.” Erika smoothed the wrinkles out of her skirt.

“That was nice.” Her mother didn’t sound convinced.

Erika took her mother’s arm as they walked across the parking lot to Dr. Barts’ office. While her mother checked her in, Erika picked up a Cosmo and seated herself in a chair, crossing her legs. She looked up from her magazine as her mother turned and looked at her strangely. Mrs. Martin shook her head as if to clear a thought and sat down next to her *son*.

A few minutes later Dr. Barts called from the door, “Erika?”

Erika smoothly stood up placed the Cosmo on the table and joined Dr. Barts at the door.

“It’s good to see you, Erika,” the doctor greeted.

“Thank you,” Erika grinned. She took a seat on the edge of the couch this time, making sure to smooth the skirt of her dress under her.

“You look very pretty, Erika. Did your mom or your friends help you get ready?”

Erika blinked, momentarily confused. “No, I dress myself. I did borrow this dress from a friend though.”

“It’s very becoming on you,” Dr. Barts picked up her note pad. “If I hadn’t known any better, I would have thought you were a normal young lady.”

Erika smiled. “Thank you.”

“So why did you pick out this outfit today?” Dr. Barts asked.

“Is there something wrong with it?” Erika looked down at her cleavage and the dress. She smoothed out her skirt.

“No, I think it is lovely. I just wanted to see what thought process you went through.”

“Well, I wanted something nice to wear, since this is the first time I will have been here as Erika, but my friend suggested that I didn’t overdo it, so I settled on this dress.”

“Do you do your own hair and makeup?” Dr. Barts inquired.

“Yes,” Erika nodded, “I’m afraid, I’m still not as skilled or as quick at my makeup as my friends, but they say that I’m doing fine. It does take me a little bit longer to get this back here to look right though.” Erika lightly touched the back of her head.

Dr. Barts smiled. “I think it takes us all a little bit longer to get that to look right.”

“What do you think about when you are getting dressed?”

“Not much,” Erika admitted. “Mainly if it the outfit will look alright on me. I remind myself to be careful not to get any make up on my clothes and I think about what I’ll be doing later.”

“Do you get excited or aroused while dressing?” she asked.

“You asked me that one before,” Erika pointed out. “No, I don’t get aroused while dressing or thinking about dressing.” She was starting to take offense.

“Have you had any more ‘plague’ incidents lately?”

“Not if you don’t count being spat at.”

“When was this?” she asked.

“This morning. My dad wanted some ‘guy time’. Mostly he wanted to convince me to take karate lessons for self-defense.”

“Self-defense classes would be good for anybody.” Dr. Barts agreed.

“I’ve got something else going on.”

“Oh? What’s that?”

“I tried out and made the Rally squad.”

“That’s terrific, Erika. What did your parents say?”

“I haven’t told them yet,” Erika looked past Dr. Barts to the picture. “I want to surprise them once I get my uniform.”

“How many guys are on the Rally squad?” Dr. Barts asked.

“Just two.”

“I think that is a wonderful move. I think that your parents will be excited to see you with all of those pretty girls cheering on your team,” Dr. Barts smiled, “Did you know that several of our Presidents were on their High school and College cheer squads?”

“No.”

“If my memory serves me right, Eisenhower, Ford and Reagan were amongst those. So you are in good company.” Dr. Barts looked at her pad, “So, do you and your dad, get much ‘guy time’?”

“No. Most of the time we try to do something and it ends up being a disaster.”

“It couldn’t be that bad.”

“There was the fishing trip where we got lost and were practically attacked by a bear.”

Dr. Barts gave Erika a look of disbelief.

Erika spent the next five minutes relating the failed fishing trip story.

“Oh my,” Dr. Barts shook her head. “I see what you mean about ‘guy time’ being a disaster. But if you look at it from a different angle, there was a lot hours that you spent alone with your dad out in the woods. Now you have a tale and a cover up story to share between you two, so in a way ‘guy time’ was a success.”

“I never looked at it that way before,” Erika admitted.

“So, do you think that you and your dad will have special time together if you are Erika?”

“I guess so, I don’t see why not. I’m the same person,” Erika stated.

“But if you are Erika, then you will be forcing your dad to see you as a girl. He won’t relate to you as Eric, as a guy or do those kinds of things. Do you think your dad would take Erika fishing? Or perhaps to the batting cages?”

“No.” Erika shook her head and fell silent as the shrink wrote on her pad.

“So what have you been up to over the past few days?” Dr. Barts broke the silence.

“I went to a football game last night,” Erika smiled.

“Did your team win?”

“Yes. Julian and Stan think that they’ll make it to the State play offs again this year.”

“Who are Julian and Stan?”

“Two guys we met at the game. Julian is on the swim team, and Stan is a diver.”

“Who went with you to the game?”

“Tricia.”

“She’s your friend from camp?”

Erika nodded. “She kissed me last night,” Erika dropped her gaze in embarrassment.

“So you are making friends. That’s great, Erika.”

“My camp friends are helping with that.”

“Erika, how do you feel when you present yourself in this fashion?”

“I think I’m more comfortable,” Erika was slow in answering. “I feel pretty, and I like how people treat me, how people look at me.”

“How do they look at you, or treat you?”

“With respect; like a lady; with care — as if I am a person, someone to be admired, not the scum of society that they can have their way with and dump off in a trash heap.”

“When you are dressed and take on the persona of Erika, you are admired and respected?” Dr. Barts asked. “How so?”

“At the game last night, other kids, students, were allowing me to sit with them, talk with them; they weren’t showing me hex signs and shouting insults at me. In fact, they were trying to get to know me. Julian the captain of the swim team was flirting with me, Tricia said that she noticed other guys checking me out but were too intimidated to approach me. Julian walked us down to the concessions stand to make sure that we could get there and back unmolested.” Erika looked Dr. Barts in the eye, tears running down her cheeks, “You have no idea what a surreal feeling all of that is, especially after the last few years of being the butt of every joke, the target of every prank; even from teachers.”

“You went to the game as Erika and no one recognized you?”

“They all know me as Erika now.”

“How do they know Erika? Have you been going to school as Erika?” Dr. Barts became alarmed.

Erika nodded, “It is the only way to go and not be picked on, or bullied.”

“Does your mother know?”

“No. Please don’t tell her. I can’t go to school as ‘The Plague’, I just can’t.” She accepted a tissue from Dr. Barts and dabbed at her eyes. “You don’t know what they would do to me if ‘The Plague’ showed up and Erika disappeared.”

“Erika, you are skating on very thin ice. Do you know how many laws you are breaking?”

“I’m only going to school as a girl.”

“Are you in gym class?”

“No. I only have to take it for one year in high school. I always planned on taking it my senior year.”

“What about using the bathroom?”

“The bathrooms all have stalls with doors. I’m not peeking at anyone, that is just gross. I'm not a pervert.”

“How did you even get registered?”

“I registered as a transfer student. My transcripts are still in route.”

“What transcripts?”

“The ones that the school will get next week.”

“You are forging documents?”

“Not really. We’re just changing a few things on my old ones.”

Dr. Barts stared hard at the young lady in front of her. She had to remind herself that the girl in her office was actually a boy.

“Eric,” she stressed his real name. “You are placing me on the legal edge of patient — doctor confidentiality. I am very conflicted as what I should do.”

“I’m not breaking any laws,” Erika protested.

“Actually, you are, but with the exception of changing your transcripts they are relatively minor.”

“I just want to go to school as Erika and not be bullied,” Erika whined.

“And what will you do after high school? You’ll have a diploma with Erika on it.”

“I don’t know yet. I could tell the school that they misspelled my name or tell them what really happened.”

“And you could give up being Erika, just like that?” Dr. Barts asked.

Erika fell silent. “I’m not sure. I feel like I am one and the same.”

“The young lady who walked in my office today looking so pretty is not the same as the young man who plopped himself down in my chair for the last few visits,” Dr. Barts pointed out. “As Erika, you sit different, you read different magazines, and you hold yourself differently. You even speak differently as Erika than as Eric.” She looked hard at Erika. “Perhaps this is more of a split personality case?”

“I don’t have a split personality. I’m just behaving the way a young lady behaves,” Erika protested.

“Well that has yet to be proven.” Dr. Barts sighed.

Erika was silent.

“I want you to stop thinking so much about how to avoid being ‘The Plague’ and start thinking about being yourself. I think that will be your assignment for next time.” Dr. Barts looked at her watch. “Speaking of time, ours is almost up and I need to see your mother for a few minutes.”

“You aren’t going to tell her anything that we talked about today are you?”

Dr. Barts smiled, “I don’t know yet. You have really put me between a rock and a hard place.”

Erika eased herself up off the couch and walked to the door, straightening her skirt.

“I would like to see Eric next visit.” Dr. Barts came up behind her. “You are a lovely young person. We just need to figure out if you are to be a young lady, or young man.” She rested a hand on Erika’s shoulder, “I also think it would be a good idea for those self-defense classes, okay?”

“Okay.”

Erika entered the waiting room and smiled a bit deflated at her mother. “Your turn.”

Mrs. Martin greeted Dr. Barts and disappeared behind the door. Erika picked the Cosmo back up, gently took a seat and waited. She flipped through the magazine but didn’t pay any attention to it. Her whole focus was on the door across the room from her and how her mother would be acting as she came back through it.

To be continued…

up
256 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

First One

Wow I am the first to vote and comment when I saw that there were 4 other readers besides me. I will always vote for this because you are truly a great writer that is for sure. I'm not sure to how you have been doing things recently but just cause I don't agree there does not make you a poor writer. So Please keep up the good work I will get back to you on what I think of this chapter like a few others I save the story so I can read it later if I don't always have the time to read it when it comes out.

Altho I do have to agree

Altho I do have to agree with the Doctor regarding getting close to breaking laws, I have to admit that I feel the Doctor is also rather conflicted with her attitude with Eric/Erika. To have her keep switching back and forth for each visit is not good in my book as it will keep Eric/Erika wondering how to deal with it all. This could cause more internal and external issues than help. J-Lynn

Definitely not good

to have to switch back and forth. Personally I find it amazing Eric/Erika has not felt more stress switch on a daily basis when she goes to school.

The doctor is trying to do her due diligence but I do not believe she knows her patience well enough to understand where he/she is coming from.

One interesting thing that came out from the session is that the transition from being Eric to Erika is such an automatic process that he/she does not realize it. What the doctor probably will wind up concluding that it is best for her to not to try pigeon-holing her patience. In her own statement, she has already stated that her goal is to decide whether Eric is a young man or a young lady.

Soooooo, what if he/she is really neither and is already integrated and whole - a gender queer, kinda thing ? Erika might want to decide what she wants to be her BASE gender with excursions when desired into hir alternate gender.

This seems to be upsetting the gender-angst crowd who preposits that to be trans something means you have to do a lot of moaning and groaning and questioning and purging and being totally weirded out - As if that is the Official Trans Identity Test.

Erika is fine the way she is. She is trying to survive the best way she can and in doing so she is coincidentally drawing upon an inner-resource she happens to have. That she can do so without being tortured over it is making some folks here uncomfortable.

Kim

True - switching IS stresseful

even, if only swithcing "virtually"... *sighs* Having to watch how you sign e-mails, how you talk in IMs, etc. Most NORMAL people (I hope I'm normal, at least in this aspect) make mistakes in this kind of situation.

When is the Bubble Going to Burst?

Wow, the stress Eric/Erika is under. I thought camp was bad, but now switching back and forth and trying to keep the two straight. When will her parents or the Dr. listen and understand what it is like to be the Plague?

I really like this story and Erika.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

I have to agree

I have to agree things are tightening up but there is almost no way for the parents to understand what Eric has gone through. They are so Caught in the OH Not my Child It doesn't happen to him it's all make believe there no way that this can be true. Even when Dr Barts has pointed it out to Eric's mother she still doesn't want to believe it. There just no way that Eric's Father is going to understand because it's quite clear that they are not close enough to each other. The way that I see for both his mother and his father to understand everything is to get Eric to open up 100% and have it Recorded and writen down. And then to have both parents there and hypnotized or even one parent at a time there and walk down that path through hyponoses and awaken with the memories that Eric has. What benefits come out of it will be hard to say but the biggest one I would think that the parents won't be in this stuck version of Not My Kid syndrome.

I was bullied...

I was bullied for the better part of 12 years through school, while I can honestly say I was never a 'plague' and the physical bullying was relatively minor the attitudes Erica/Eric is facing toward being bullied don't seem to have changed much. Adults, especially adults who have never been on the receiving end just don't seem able to handle the very real consequences of being bullied.

Its now more than half my life since I finally got kicked out of school and still suffer from extremely low self esteem and self confidence, both I think are due to being so unhappy for so long.

This story continues to enthral me and I wait with baited breath every day for the next instalment, long may that continue.

JC

The Legendary Lost Ninja

I know what you mean

I know exactly what you mean. Like you from preschool The 2 years of first grade all the way to my senior year I was picked by everyone and I was the outcast type in all of the social groups even in the outcast themselves I never had the physical abuse but I had all the emotion abuse from everyone and even used in a lot of different ways.

The Screws Are Tightening

jengrl's picture

The screws are drawing tighter on Erika. Now that Dr. Barts knows what she has been up to, I can see that it is just a matter of time before it all comes boiling to the surface. I can remember how difficult it was to maintain a duality of existence. Hopefully, Erika can live one existence very soon. This is getting really interesting, A.A. I look forward to each exciting episode.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Dr. Barts in trouble. Is Erika a possible "Plaguette"?

RAMI

Thanks for posting this week. Always look forward to Monday night or Tuesday morning.

Dr. Barts, probably does not have a legal problem as Doctor-Patient confidentiality from a legal(criminal) basis should cover this. Eric/a is not threatening himself or others with physical harm. The better question is, is Dr. Barts doing her patient potential harm, by allowing her to continue this reckless course of action. In real life, Eric/a would have been caught already. Eric/a most likely will be caught soon if Eric/a continues on the same path. In doing so she will hurt her friends who may then be forced to abandon her.

Again the "Plague" remains the problem that needs solving. At this point we do not know how Erika would survive if she did not have the support group she currently has. Except for limited instances at camp, where the support group was never far away, she has never been a girl on her own. In school she has her friends, and even today, she had her mother, to protect her. She was never alone. Could Erika become a "Plaguette" if she had to act on her own? Is it Eric/a's self doubt that causes the problem when alone? Could Eric overcome the "Plague" if he had a male support group? Perhaps a good self defense/karate instructor who controls his students and as part of training builds up one's pride could help.

Can't wait to see what Dr. Barts says to Mom.

And since Dad doesn't know about Erika at all, and has never been clued into his son's problems his attempts at a father/son relationship may be comical at times, he is still trying. Remember until camp Mom was as clueless as dad.

Thanks again for the story. It's the best on this site.

RAMI

RAMI

Oh Boy....

KristineRead's picture

Well, Is that a train coming down the track for our dear Erika laying tied to the track?

She sure has put Dr. Barts into a terrible bind now. What she says is confidential, except in cases where the patient is going to hurt themselves, or others. This is pretty much one of those things, where Dr. Barts is damned if she does, and damned if she doesn't.

But this is where she pays for failing to get the parents to actively go after the school for the treatment she received at the hands of the bullies from the football team. Eric needed to be taken out of that school.

And don't get me started on dear old Papa! "Look at the skirt!?" Completely inappropriate! What an ASSHOLE! (As George Carlin once said the degree that someone is an asshole is inversely proportional to how far away they are ;) )

Another great chapter A.A. Though you are a very naughty, nasty person for leaving us with Erika's mom going in to speak to Dr. Barts, not knowing what was going to happen next. ;)

Damn gonna have to wait a whole nother week.

Hugs,

Kristy

I was beginning to like dad till ...

Jezzi Stewart's picture

... the "Look at the skirt" comment. ALTHOUGH to really get a clue to what dad meant one would have to hear him say it and see his body language. He could be anywhere from lecherous with skirt being a derogatory term for girl to a dad who knows what's going on, skirt means skirt, and he wants to see whether Eric drools or Erika says, "Yes, daddy, I wonder where she got it?" to him (the two extremes) or something inbetween.

Actually, if Eric really wanted to stand up for himself, this would have been a good opportunity to do so, with his dad there. He and Erika both need the self defense classes.

"All the world really is a stage, darlings, so strut your stuff, have fun, and give the public a good show!" Miss Jezzi Belle at the end of each show

BE a lady!

He could be anywhere from

He could be anywhere from lecherous with skirt being a derogatory term for girl to a dad who knows what's going on, skirt means skirt, and he wants to see whether Eric drools or Erika says, "Yes, daddy, I wonder where she got it?" to him (the two extremes) or something inbetween.

I'm not sure there really is an in-between here; there are two distinct definitions for skirt:

1. An article of clothing
2. An attractive young woman

And in normal conversation there really is no in-between: you either mean one definition of the word or the other. (Cases of "both definitions"/"neither definition" generally being reserved for poetry).

No help

from Good Ol' Dad. Though to be fair, he is behaving pretty standard low-middle class guyish. My father was never that way so I have no basis to judge. Then again my father loved me so much and would never have hurt me. He's been dead for 8 years now and I still miss him. He had never tried to impose his standard of manhood on me and let's say I did not hide my 'self' well at times during my teen years.

So, point is I do not believe he meets the standard of being a father by only giving abortive attempts at trying to 'understand' his kid. He seems more intent on 'molding' him. He is trying to impose what he thinks his kid should be instead of taking the time to get a real picture of what is, and work with the material extant, like in sculpture. Correct me if I am wrong, but another Big Closet story, in which the protagonist goes to an art studio, and is taught how to draw what is instead of what she thought it should be.

For that matter, both parents seem to have the same problem so it will be interesting to see how this Gordian Knot will pan out.

Kim

Dangerous Ground

terrynaut's picture

Poor Dr. Barts. She's really in an awkward position. I wouldn't want to be in her shoes, not even if they were Louboutins!

I really think Eric is too far gone to be able to go back to school. Too many people are against him. His only recourse would be to go to another school -- or be home schooled. That would be a shame.

So what will happen. I still have no idea and I'm loving it.

Thanks and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

I Get The Idea That Eric's Dad

Is very much like the Plague Haters. But just what started all of the Plague stuff? If we knew that, maybe there would be an end to the Plague.

Save0012.JPG (434KB)

May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Mostly good thoughts...

A.A., I'm impressed. Things appear to be coming to a head, but for some reason I expect you're going to tone things down for a while as 'chapter 12' is too soon for all hell to be breaking loose. I don't see Dr. Barts telling Eric/a's parents about what s/he is doing at school, as yet. Too much can happen and most of that could be detrimental to her patient, even fatal.

Am I the only one seeing 'Eric' doing something drastic to avoid being the 'plague'? No, not likely. Dr. Barts is very well aware of the dangers, as she should be. What I think she's hoping for though is some good results from the proposed self-defense lessons. Whether Eric or Erica, learning how to defend yourself is a good idea. As a general statement, I feel girls are too allowing themselves to be victims. Of course, what do I know as I still haven't figured out why someone wraps their entire life around a 'relationship'. Love and marriage is like icing on a cake, remembering having your _own_ 'life' to be the cake itself. Now that was a feminist thought, wasn't it.

Again, good work!

-----
I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

Mmm

I can't say I sympathize wholeheartedly with Eric/ka at the moment. I am still waiting for hir to think hard about hirself and what exactly s/he wants out of life. For now and for the future. Allegedly s/he's bright enough to understand that now is the time to make some choices. And/or stick to convictions and beliefs about hirself.

Up to now s/he has only shown superficial reasons to appear as Erika, still no indication whether s/he feels the strong need to be Erika in stead of Eric. This is a core issue for any GID troubled man or woman, boy or girl. There was a time at Camp where Erika seemed to have reached a certain conclusion about herself. I believe she reached a point where she decided she had to be Erika. Why doesn't that come out in the sessions with Dr. Barts? Dr.Barts isn't the enemy, like Erika may be thinking ( illustrated more than once with the childish name calling ) but until Erika shows some resolution and determination, on 'solid' grounds, about what and why, Dr.Barts will keep to safest sides.

As Eric s/he is an awful beat-down, gloomy, and meek boy. Understandable probably, but even in the interaction with his parents he's unusually docile for a 15 - 16 yr old. It's time to rebel.

And it's time that the girls get together and gab about what the game plan is going to be. That's what girls do! Talk. Talk some more. And scheme, uhmm, I mean, plan. We think and talk about things, then do them. *Not the other way around men :)*

Jo-Anne

Camp + Princess and Plague

Dear Anistasia,

I have followed your series from the time we all went to camp through to this latest chapter.

Reading the comments and conjecture is interesting...

I STILL LOVE THE STORY... despite some very difficult times with Erica's Father.
He reminds me TOO much of my own. After a particularly unsettling incident I did not speak with my Father for nearly 15 years. We finally "made up" and were talking and friendly again for the remaining 21 years of his life. That did not mean he understood me nor that he accepted me but it did mean that he would no longer be antagonistic toward me and understood that his good intentions actually were devastating to me.

I had a difficult time with the "skirt" comment and my first instinct was to "belt him in the mouth" which I suppose is a credit to your writing capability.

Please continue this story, I really love to read it.

1955-12y5m.jpghugs.jpg

God Bless You...

Attitudinally

Attitudinally the "skirt" comment spoke volumes about her father and his mindset objectifying women. I realise in terms of the story it was a very cute device for what followed in the form of Erick's response to his father's intentions, would have been even funnier if his father had been pivy to Erick's question to the girl.

Judo or karate classes?

What is dad thinking?

Hello Anastasia!!! ^___^ ;-D

I just hope which ever dojo they find will have no bullies from his school. But, that is usually the case. The first movie of Karate Kid reminds me of that possible scenario. I don't have to say anything more on that subject.

Thanks for another great chapter Miss Allread. We'll wait patiently for the next chapter. Yes, the hole is getting bigger and bigger. Have a wonderful week.

Rachel

Re: Judo or karate classes?

I took 3 forms of Martial Arts myself starting in 7th grade till my senior year, granted they were Bok Pai and Akido...they helped me out allot especially with my anger control without which I probably would have been spending allot of time suspended from school. I can see Judo, Karate or even Tai Kwan Do helping out Eric and Erika, not only with dealing with bullies but people in general. Who knows maybe the discipline will her get a clear focus on her life too.

<3 Jessi

I'm glad....

Erika told the doc... And, yes, Dr. Bart was put in a VERY difficult position. I HOPE things get straightened out - and SOON.

Now, we wait, and wait, and wait - to find out what happens with Mom & Dr. Bart... And, you'll probably NOT tell us next chapter either! ARGH.

Thanks,
Annette MacGregor

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence." - Napoleon

Is it a 'cliff-hanger' if there isn't actually a cliff?

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hey Ani,

Ooh, what will Dr. Farts say to mom? Will mom tell dad? Will Erica still be around at all? Tune in for the next exciting episode.

Thanks for posting this story for us readers to enjoy. Please post more soon?

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Wow, Ani!

You certainly know how to push some of our buttons!

I'm really enjoying this story! Perhaps we'll all find you really can dig your way out of a hole after all.

It will be very interesting to see what Dr. Barts does with the information she has gathered from this session. Knowing that Eric is now spending much of his waking hours as Erika opens a whole new dynamic for the doctor. Personally, I don't know how Eric/Erika can keep things straight, but it does remind me of growing up in So. California, I had many classmates whose parents didn't speak English, and they seemed to completely switch cultures at the blink of an eye, depending on who spoke to them. Perhaps in youth it's easier or something.

Keep up the great work!

Hugs
Carla Ann

new daughter?

Hi Ani
No!!! Dr Barts is too nice surely she would'nt tell...Would she? Perhaps when she sees Erica as Eric again things might fall into place and life can go on a little more smoothly. Anyway i kinda think that Ericas mom likes having a daughter
....hugs Kirri

Trouble

The stress of waiting for the shit to hit the fan is nightmarish

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna