The Princess and the Plague : 8

Printer-friendly version
The Princess and the Plague
(Life after Camp Kumoni)

By Anistasia Allread
Edited by none other than Nick B

“What were you calling about?”

“I would really like you to try out for the cheer squad.” Melinda pleaded.

     

duckling.jpg

“Hello, Erika? This is Melinda from school,” the voice greeted when Eric answered his phone.

“Uh, Hello Melinda.” Why would Melinda want to talk him?

“I got your number from Samantha; I hope you don't mind.” Melinda sounded chagrined over the phone.

Eric was curious. “What were you calling about?”

“I would really like you to try out for the cheer squad.” Melinda pleaded.

A shudder flashed through Eric's body. He could feel his cheeks flush with the thought of him being on the cheer squad. “I really couldn't do the cheer squad, Melinda,” he told her.

“Why not?” she questioned.

“I really don't have what it takes to be a cheer leader. I can't tumble, or even do the splits.”

“Can you at least do a cartwheel?”

“No, sorry. I’m just not very coordinated.”

“Well, what about the Rally squad?”

“I don't know, Melinda.” Eric was flattered but terrified at the same time.

“The Rally squad is just as important as the cheerleaders,” Melinda explained. “They help make the posters, help the cheerleaders get the crowd cheering. They help prep the football and basketball players locker room the day of the game. They even get nice uniforms.”

“Why me?” he asked.

“I just wanted to welcome you to Washington High, besides, you're Samantha's friend.”

“Let me think about it?” Eric asked.

“Sure. Take a day or two but try outs for the squad are this Friday. Those who don't make the squad will be asked to be on the Rally.”

“Can't I just try out for the Rally squad? Seriously, I don’t have the skills to be in Cheer.”

“Of course, but It would be even better if you were in cheer with us.”

“I'll let you know, Melinda,” he assured her, “Oh, and Melinda?”

“Yes?”

“Thanks for welcoming me and asking me.”

“You're quite welcome. See you tomorrow.”

Eric hung the phone up and stared off into space. Erika had just been asked by one of the most beautiful, popular girls to join her on the cheer squad. Eric put his phone down, logged on to his computer and emailed Rachel, Dani, Katie and Phoenix. He told them about Erika's time at the slumber party, the shopping, and her first day at school.

–o0o–

Mrs. Anderson began class by taking a student's cell phone away from them. She looked over the text that the student was sending and snickered.

“What's so funny?” The offending student demanded.

“It's just that this is a peek into the future of the English language.”

“What do you mean?” another student asked.

“Well for example,” Mrs. Anderson went up to the chalk board and wrote lol, “if you saw this on a sign somewhere what would it mean?”

“Laugh out loud.” a confused student replied.

“And how about this?” Mrs. Anderson wrote 'asap'.

“As soon as possible.”

“What about this?” The teacher wrote 'S.H.I.T.'

Several students laughed or giggled others gasped that a teacher was writing profanity.

“What does this stand for?” She asked.

“Poop?” a student put out.

“Crap, dung, waste?” another laughed.

Mrs. Anderson nodded, “That is what it means now. But what if I told you that this word originated as an acronym like lol, or asap, or even omg?”

Several students looked shocked; others just looked confused.

“What if I told you that it was a word used by sailors?”

“I thought the bathroom on a ship was called a head?” someone said.

Mrs. Anderson nodded. “It is.”

“Instructions on how to use the bathroom?” a girl looked puzzled.

“Shit here in trough,” Jake laughed.

Mrs. Anderson went up to each of the letters and wrote a word coming down off from each. 'Ship. High. In. Transit.' “Any thought to what that means?” she asked.

The room was quiet.

Erika found herself talking before she could stop herself. “That whatever was in that crate was to be shipped high.”

Mrs. Anderson pointed at Erika with a smile, “Very good, Erika.” She looked over the rest of the class. “What was it they were shipping and wanted to keep high?”

Silence.

“Anyone care to take a stab?” Mrs. Anderson looked around the room looking for someone to come up with something. “Well, then. Back in the days of old when England dominated the sea, they would take cow, pig, and chicken manure, dry it out, and bale it up into large bales. Other countries used it as fertilizer for their crops, so they would load it onto ships and sail it to those who needed it.”

“They would ship cow crap?” someone spoke aloud.

Mrs. Anderson nodded. “What happens when dried out dung gets wet and sits for a long time in a confined area?”

“It stinks,” said one of the girls, wrinkling her nose.

“Precisely.” Mrs. Anderson smiled, “What does it smell of?”

“Crap,” Jake ventured.

“What happens when 'crap' sits and ferments?”

“It creates a gas.” another boy answered.

“Methane gas,” Mrs. Anderson nodded. “What happens if you light a match around methane gas?”

“It explodes,” Tricia answered.

“That's right, it explodes,” Mrs. Anderson smiled. “So, when they shipped the 'fertilizer' they would write S.H.I.T. On the bale so that it wasn't stowed down in the bottom of the hold. By them not allowing it to get wet, they saved their ship and sometimes other ships from blowing up.”

“Seriously?” a girl asked.

Mrs. Anderson smiled. “So, the acronym S.H.I.T. started out like a warning sign. Now it is considered a profanity.” She eyed everyone in class. “This example is an urban myth, but you get the point?”

Several students laughed, others just nodded.

A student entered the room walked up and handed Mrs. Anderson a small piece of paper. She read the slip and walked up the row of desks and handed Erika a hall pass, “The office wants to see you.”

Erika's heart leapt into her throat. “Do you know why?”

Mrs. Anderson just shrugged. “I guess you’ll have to find out when you get there.”

Erika gathered up her books, hall pass and left the room. Her heart raced faster and faster as she drew nearer to the office. She wondered if they had found out that she was really Eric. Could her parents have found out and be pulling her out? Her feet felt heavier and heavier as she turned down the corridor to the office. She stopped outside the door and took a deep breath.

“I was sent for?” Erika held up the slip for the office lady.

“Erika Summers?” she asked.

“Yes.”

“We're having a hard time getting your transcripts. We just need to check over your information again.”

“Oh?” Erika's heart skipped not just one beat, but several.

The office woman pulled out a piece of paper and slid it across the counter to Erika along with a pen. “Make sure that all of this information is correct,” she said with a smile.

Erika looked over the sheet that had her fabricated history on it. She looked up to a desk behind the counter to see Victoria looking back at her with an apologetic look. Erika scratched out the last two digits of her social security number and inverted them off to the side. She wondered if that would buy her any more time.

She slid the paper back. “There, I must have written my soc number wrong.”

“Thank you, Miss Summers, you may go back to class.”

Erika looked back to Victoria.

“See you at lunch.” Victoria made her voice sound light, but the look in her eyes was one of anxiety.

Erika nodded and walked back to Mrs. Anderson's class.

–o0o–

“Okay, Victoria, what is going on?” Erika asked at lunch.

“They won't let me near the transcripts so that I can change them.” Victoria complained, “I haven't been able to get at your hard copy on file or even touch the information that you gave them to request your records.”

“What are we going to do?” Tricia asked.

“We need to steal Eric's records out of the office, change them and have Erika present them as hers.” Samantha instructed.

“Are you suggesting that we break into the office?” Erika asked.

Samantha nodded. “I don't know how else we can get them.”

“I'll try one more time,” Victoria sighed.

“Did you get a call from Melinda last night?” Tricia asked.

“Yes, she asked me to try out for the cheer squad.” Erika shook her head.

“Me too.” Tricia's eyes glimmered. “Are you?”

“No,” Erika responded immediately. “Can you picture me in a cheer skirt waving pom-poms?”

Tricia cocked her head to one side for a moment in thought. She smiled. “Actually, that would be cute.”

“I think it's a great opportunity,” Victoria agreed. “It would look good on your college applications.”

“I think you should at least try,” Krystal urged.

“Come on, you too Krystal?” Erika was appalled.

Krystal nodded. “I'd do it if I were you.”

“Well, I told her that I wouldn't do the cheer squad, but I might be interested in the Rally squad.”

“Is there a difference?” Krystal asked.

Samantha spent the next few minutes explaining the similarities and differences between the two squads.

“So are you going to come to the football game tomorrow?” Samantha asked her new friends.

Victoria nodded. “I have to go. I'm not the sports reporter, but I need to be there.”

“I don't know,” Erika shrugged.

“I've never been to a football game,” Krystal admitted. “What is there to do at one?”

“Yell, scream, support the team; be with your friends,” Samantha explained.

“They are a lot of fun.” Tricia agreed. She looked to Erika. “You wanna go?”

“I've only been to one game and it was a disaster. The student body chased 'The Plague' out fearing that he'd cause the team to lose.”

“That settles it,” Tricia told her. “You are making arrangements to go to the game with me tomorrow night.”

“If no one is busy tonight, the Cheer squad could use help making posters and banners for tomorrow.” Samantha looked to the others, “It would help you to get on the Rally squad.”

“I'll have to call me mom and see if it's alright, but I can't have her picking me up here while I'm Erika.”

“You can see if she can pick you up at my house.” Tricia offered, “Or I'm sure Leeza or my parents could give you a ride home.”

“That would be the safest bet.” Victoria agreed.

The warning bell rung.

“I'll be in the gym after school if anyone needs me.” Samantha told them.

They all got up and went to class.

–o0o–

“So how was your day?” Mrs. Martin asked as Eric entered the house.

“It was alright,” Eric stated.

“So you are now helping the cheerleaders out?” she questioned.

“Yeah; the girls allowed me to help them with making posters for the game tomorrow.”

“Well that's an improvement over last year,” she observed.

“I guess.” Eric shrugged. “Mom, Tricia wants me to go to the game with her tomorrow. Can I go?”

“I guess so. How will you be getting home?”

“She said her parents, or her sister could drop me off.”

“I don't see why you can't. Just come home right after the game.”

“Thanks mom.” He gave his mother a peck on the cheek.

“So did you learn anything in school today?” she asked.

“I learned what S.H.I.T. Means.”

“What?”

“S.H.I.T. it means Ship High In Transit.”

“How does that apply to your schoolwork?” his mother asked.

“Mrs. Anderson was demonstrating how the English language is always evolving.”

Eric took a soda and a brownie and walked upstairs to his room. He got on his computer and began working on his comics.

A screen popped up.

Winter: how are U?

Phantom: fine

Winter: Im glad you came to help with the posters

Phantom: I had a lot of fun. It was good to meet people who didn't prejudge me as the plague

Winter: I think you needed to give people a chance too. they’re not all bad. Will you try out for cheer?

Phantom: Not interested in cheer, I told you. I might be interested in Rally though. I don’t know how to keep my rents from finding out about Erika though.

Winter: U could tell them.

Phantom: That would not help us at all.

Winter: Your mom knows about Erika
Phantom: And she's making me go to a shrink because of it. Besides she doesn't know that Im going to school as Erika

Winter: When do you see the shrink again?

Phantom: day after tomorrow

Winter: how is it going with that?

Phantom: It's ok, I guess. She wants me to go as Erika this next time. It will only be the second time my mom has seen me as Erika.

Winter: How are you going to avoid your dad?

Phantom: Dad will be golfing Sat.

Winter: see you tomorrow. Pls try out for Cheer.

Phantom: We'll see. See you

Eric logged off the computer and told his parents goodnight before locking his door. He slipped out of his clothes, into his night gown and crawled into bed.

Could Erika be a cheerleader? How were they going to get the transcripts switched? How would she look in a cheer uniform? Did she want to be Erika forever?


To be continued…

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Transcript Issue

jengrl's picture

I am looking forward to seeing how the transcript issue is resolved. I hope that Victoria can do it without them being sent to Juvy for B&E. Right now they are sweating bullets. The cheerleading tryout is another interesting situation. If Erika makes it then she will have to change in the girl's locker room. Maybe Leeza could help with that.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Life After Camp...

Love the story. Love the characters. The writing is great. I'm always disappointed when I come to the end of the new chapter (because it's too soon).

Anistasia, thank you for continuing past the end of camp.

txt Typing

I really like this story but I also really hate it when people use txt typing in stories. while I respect that your trying to keep the kids in the hip and now like they always try. All you really do with this sort of writing when you come to it is show how dumb and stupid they are. It also suggest that they would try to write this way for there homework and throw a fit if they got poor grades writing this way. I really wish that you would stop inculding it in your story. Also this was another short chapter I know things can be hard at times but you have been able to write more I think you need to relax a bit breath and take your time in order for the next part to be a whole lot better. It will be real intresting to see how Erika is going to get away with being a girl when his mom comes to get him to go see the shrink and is already a girl sense it was suppose to be after school that he goes.

While I agree...

...that text messaging/instant messaging "spellings" just look stupid, lazy, and ignorant when used in other contexts (unless it's deliberate and ironic), I think they're perfectly reasonable to use in their proper place--no less so than any other kind of jargon or shorthand. And in the story they're portrayed in the context of a chat or instant messaging conversation, so (to me) entirely appropriate.

At Least It's Not l33t

Rena, I'm guessing you've never sent an SMS from a cellphone.

The reason text messages look like they do is that they have a history of coming out of a 12-key keypad, which is an utter bear to "type" on, each key having to be pressed a number of times to generate a single character.

Yes, some smart devices now do carry full "keyboards", but the "keys" are tiny and still a bit inconvenient to type on. And SMS mssages still are capped at 140 characters, so you don't want to be writing paragraphs as long as this one.

So, a form of shorthand developed for sending SMS messages, which carries over to IMs and incorporates earlier codes and abbreviations from real-time IRC and bulletin board chatrooms.

There's an even earlier history of standardized abbreviations being used in communications, going back over 100 years, with the telegraph and later, radio carriers (which pre-date audio modulation techniques, microphones, amplifiers, and speakers). Morse code uses one key, and a "display" device read by ear. Being able to manually key and receive text at over 20 words a minute in Morse is a very, very big deal. Even in the heyday of Ham Radio, very few operators could achieve that, and only when signal conditions were ideal. So, there were Q-codes, and numeric message codes, and somewhat standardized abbreviations and acronyms, to facilitate communications, not to simply confuse and exclude outsiders. Besides, if you were interested, you could look up the lists of published codes -- they weren't a secret.

The hunt-and-peck-peck-peck method of text messaging on a telephone keypad is probably even slower than sending morse code, so I'm certainly not going to begrudge anyone a bit of efficiency if they can find it. It's not ignorance, or stupidity. It's a mutually-accepted form of shorthand, one which grew out of necessity. Yes, it's grown to incorporate humor and attitude, and helps cement comraderie and a sense of community. Is that such a bad thing?

By the way, if you're so worried about setting bad examples or promoting ignorance, perhaps you should, while you're sitting at your computer with your 104-key keyboard (or 107, or whatever they're up to), scan your own message for grammatical errors involving homonyms, and non-standard usages. For example, you've used "your" where you obviously mean "you're." And, I don't even know where to start with "in the hip and now like they always try."

So, be cool, babe, and try to just go with the flow. ;-)

Morse Code

Puddintane's picture

Back in the olden days, 20WPM was fairly common and the standard Morse Code Proficiency tests tested up to 40WPM (which was very good) but there was even a class of Amateur license (Extra) that *required* 20WPM. When I received my own license, the code requirement was 13WPM for General class, which is what I had.

And no, I never chatted on the air, much less actually *used* Morse code, as the airwaves were (and probably still are) populated almost exclusively by men and boys, although there were a very few "YLs". I got the license because I wanted access to a 2-metre "repeater" club that allowed me to phone home when I was commuting on the train and was delayed for any reason. It worked out fine, but then cell phones came along and that was the end of that.

The record for copy was set in 1939, when there were still professional operators, and was 75.2WPM.

Most operators can't send faster than most can read, since the hands are clumsier than the ear, but the record with an old-fashioned straight key is 35WPM, set in 1942.

Much higher speeds can be achieved with a modern iambic keyer, which uses electronics or a vibrating spring to automatically generate the dah tones, or the dits only when using a mechanically vibrating "bug."

Most people using an iambic keyer can send faster than they themselves can read.

Morse code is faster than SMS keying on a twelve-key pad, but I don't suppose that will increase its popularity. They've even eliminated the Morse requirement from Amateur radio licenses these days.

Puddin'
---------------
I would imagine if you could understand Morse
Code, a tap dancer would drive you crazy.
--- Mitch Hedber

Another myth exploded.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

You can thank

hams for packet radio, hence cellphones.

sms speed

in 2006 a Singapore HS student set Guinness World Record for the fastest SMS when she entered 160 characters in 41.52 seconds. -- slightly less than 4 characters per second or almost 47 words a minute, however, SMS speed records are set using a standard phrase, the same each time world wide so that contestants can practice and perfect their finger movements.

Morse code speed tests are done using random 5 character groups or other unpredictable text. In some reception tests in High Speed Telegraphy competition individuals have set speed records as high as 120 words per minute or 10 characters per second.

The fastest speed with a straight telegraph key is still under 40 words per minute, but modern iambic keyers allow sending in excess of 100 words per minute.

When SMS senders are tested against morse senders on un-practiced texts, the morse code senders _always_ win. For an example, see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t041g4X-aM0

Close shave

Good thing Mom wasn't home to answer the call from Melinda.

*Ring* "Hello?"

"Hi, can I speak to Erika, please?"

Uh-oh, the jig is up....

Oh, good point

I realize I'm showing my age by admitting that didn't occur to me. ;)

S.H.I.T.

Puddintane's picture

Charming folk etymology, but I'd hope not to see it in the mouth of an English teacher, since it's completely false. The word has been with us since Proto-Indo-European times (then *skei) and has cognates in most European languages, Scheisse in German (Proto-Germanic *skit), "scato" in Greek (from which we derive "scatological"), "scitte" in Old English, and so on.

Originally, the word meant "to divide or separate" (that which we leave behind us) and also gave us "shear" and "scissors," as well as "schizophrenia" (split head), "ski" (in the sense of a split stick), "science" (separating one thing from another), and many other handy words.

http://www.bartleby.com/61/roots/IE464.html

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

I'm sorry

I'm not as smart as a bunch of you. sorry. I just thought it would make an entertaining scene and illastrate a point at the same time. I'll try and research better in the future.

oh well, shit happens. I just hope shIT was entertaining.

A.A.

And it *is* charming...

Puddintane's picture

Just not true. It's been the subject of a recent viral e-mail campaign so *many* people believe it, as similar campaigns have spread the false notion that "F.U.C.K" has something to do with "Unlawful Carnal Knowledge." This has been going on for *many* years. "Posh," meaning "expensive" or "stylish" is popularly believed to be an acronym for Port Out, Starboard Home, representing the "desirable" cabins on the steamship route from Britain to India. Not true, but possibly from the Roma (Gypsy) word "pash" which means (by circuitous logic) "money." Nobody really knows, though. It seems to be a recent invention.

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

The acronym as a way to escape punishment???

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Suppose - hypothetically - posit the case, "A worker is being severely chastised by an overbearing superior for marking a case of fertilizer with the vulgar (i.e. common, proletariat) term 'shit'. The worker, unlike the overbearing superior's concept of 'him', is actually quite intelligent and quick-witted, answers with the 'urban legend' version used by Anistasia in her story. The unnamed worker escapes punishment and the story grows."

Happened to me once; I was relating an 'off colour' anecdote to a fellow scholar (grade 5 - I think) just at dismissal one day. The teacher, hearing the whispering demanded I regale the whole class with my story. I was caught flat-footed but the fellow I was whispering with, was far more quick, rescuing me with, "What's big and green and lives at the bottom of the ocean? -- Moby pickle." (Pickle jokes being all the rage at the time. You had to be a young boy in that era to understand them.)

I'm not saying this vignette is more real than any other, but it IS another viable option for the widely known 'urban legend'.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Acronyms She Says

terrynaut's picture

Your acronym story didn't ring true but Puddin' is right. It is charming. The story is fiction and your story within a story fits right in. :)

I'm nervous about the transcripts but I love the idea of Erika trying out for the cheer squad, even if she doesn't. I love cheerleader uniforms. They're so cute. *sigh*

One thing is bothering me. I'm wondering why no one has been missing Eric so far. They dunked him in the fountain at the mall so some of them know he's around. I hope you address this little detail sometime. It'll be niggling me until you do. ;)

Thanks and please keep up the good work.

- Terry

Will Be Interesting To See

What Happens next. There are currently only a zillion ways for things to go wrong. How will Erika handle things is the question.
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmmm

As I think about this, if Erika wants to minimize the chances of things EXPLODING... The kid(s) need to get some (preferrably all) of the following:

  • Getting ON the cheer Squad
  • Coming clean with mom
  • Coming clean with the Shrink

I believe that getting Erika into that public a position, getting the Doc to agree that Erika (not Eric) needs to be at school, and the mom seeing how happy her child is, and such is the only chance the kids have of not getting suspended, if not expelled, for what they're doing...

From the way the admin has been depicted, so far, they'd more likely go along with Erika rather than admit that they were "tricked"...

Well, time will tell.
Annette

What happens when you dig a hole

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Ani,

Erica/Eric and the gang are digging themselves in deeper and deeper.

When you dig a hole the stuff you throw out collects around the top and puts more and more pressure on the sides of your hole until eventually it all caves in and buries you. So far, I haven't seen any support network that could help Erica from being crushed when the cave in happens, nor have I seen any escape methods being planned. I worry for the poor girl.

Thank you for posting, I suppose worrying about Erica tears my focus away from worrying about myself.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Who is Eric/a really? A girl or a boy just looking for happine

Again, another great chapter. Keep them coming.

Who is Eric/a really? Is our hero(ine)a girl, or just a boy looking to continue the happiness he felt for the first time in his life, at camp.

The consensus of the comments here and in earlier chapters, have been to support Eric/a's transition from being Eric to becoming Erica, full-time, with no options or middle ground. I suppose most of those supporting that change would elect for Eric to live as a Erica, a girl full time and eventually have an SRS procedure.

Unfortunately, we still do not know if that is what Eric really wants. Does he want to be Erica (a girl) or does he just want to be accepted as a human being. As Erica, he has friends, respect, a social life, no fear of humiliation and is accepted. If he could be Eric, and not be the PLAGUE, and have the same things that Erica is receiving, would he opt for that. Is he allowing the girls to do what they are doing to keep them as friends? That course of action has not been presented. Remember, until he went to camp, he never dressed like a girl, even fleetingly or had desires to be a girl. He was only an unhappy, abused young man. If I remember correctly, he did not get instant gratification by dressing as Erica. The satisfaction about what he was doing, came only after all the girls in the bunk accepted Eric/a and allowed him to have a safe, PLAGUE free, and happy summer.

The pressure is he getting from his friends to be a girl full time, (and not as a part time or occasional cross-dresser) while done with kindness and out of love for him, could have grave and serious consequences in the future.

While, because of the attempt to have Erica attend school, it may be too late, but perhaps somehow the gang from camp, can reintroduce Eric to school and start befriending him, and see where that will go. Perhaps we would know the truth about Eric/a.

Or perhaps, our erstwhile group of girls are themselves like the other kids and school and could not accept or befriend Eric. Is it possible that they can only relate to and like Erica?

While being done with love, and did not start that way ,is this now a form of forced feminization?

RAMI

Excellent chapter

I don't know why, but this chapter really pushed a lot of the right buttons for me. (Pity the S.H.I.T. story isn't true, though yes it is quite charming).

What is Erika going to do

What is Erika going to do when her Mother actually discovers her by accident? After a period of time goes by, the school administration is going to be calling her because of Erika's school records not being available. Then the "brown stuff" will hit the fan.
I am not a great fan of texting, as I see far too many young people doing it when they are supposed to be driving their car. DANGEROUS to themselves and all around them.
I learned Morse Code in 1958, and got up to 20+ words per minute, but it was starting to faze out then, as teletypes and such were coming on the scene. Doubt seriously if I could tap out one word a minute now since I have not used it in some 40 years.

Loving this tale

Anistasia, I am just loving your adventures of Erika. All the ups and downs and suspense and 'hey where are we going?" The joy of the journey is keeping me coming back for more. I am also enjoying all the comments that you are provoking. This entire story is just so entertaining. Thanks for the ride.
Wendy Marie

Wendy Marie

What is going to happen next?

I figure the transcripts will be a major issue.

Hello AA!!! ^____^ ;-D

Thanks for the next chapter in the Life and Times of Erica. What can I add or comment on? Right now we are waiting what will be Erica's decision concerning cheerleading, going to the football game, going to the psych warden, classes. Will some of the students feel miffed that the Plague has not shown up yet to vent their superiority over?

Well, we'll just have to wait for the next chapter, rats!! Another cliff hanger to lose the finger nails again!!!

Have a wonderful week Miss Allread.

Well - how long till the Stack High In Transit hits the

KristineRead's picture

air circulation units?

(I know it isn't true, but who really cares. It still illustrated the point the teacher was making. Though I don't know too many teachers that would use that term in class even to illustrate a point.)

Someone asked about Melinda calling and getting Eric's mom, but I'm sure that was probably Eric's cell phone number as opposed to the home number. Still, someone is going to follow this mysterious girl home some day, and see them go into Tricia's house, then Eric come out...

Or they will get caught breaking into the school... Oh what a great idea that is... NOT!

I can't wait to see how things go at Dr. Barts, but we have two days before this occurs, and it was only the 2nd day of school when they determined they could not get her transcripts, so presumably tomorrow Erica will be right back down to the office, so I don't think there is time before the next Dr. Barts visit.

God knows how much can happen, (not to mention how many chapters and weeks will go by before we know!) in the days between now and Saturday.

AA you have us all in suspense... Payback is a @#$@# so they say. I think this is your way of getting back at us all for making you write a sequel! ;)

Keep up the good work!

Hugs,

Kristy

Hmmm

I do not really understand what is so great about doing the cheer thing. I went to a academic high school and it was significantly less cliquish than a regular high school. Being a nerd was not a weird thing either as a consequence so the social dynamic was less geared towards being 'popular'. Plus there was not a practical way for me do do after school stuff ( eg clubs ) as I had a 1.25 hour commute each way to school each day. That was about 2.5 hours each day plus 3 to 4 hours of homework and then you have the 6.5 hours of school itself, miscellaneous chores, one hour for ablutions and, 1 hour for morning stuff. I think you get the idea.

However, since Erika is in need of developing socially I can see participating with the rally squad is a good thing. Lack of social experience in the female world is true of a lot of transwomen ( NOT that I am suggesting whether or not she is surgery bound ) who drop into the female world without a clue.

It will be interesting to see how she will be able to separate her two lives when she becomes more popular. Having one's friends over is kinda expected and reciprocation is de rigeur, I think.

A collision is inevitable, I think, but by the time that happens, it is hoped that her circle of friends has increased and are good enough people to be accepting while Erika herself has gained greater confidence and strength of character.

All I can do is do what I do when I watch a horror movie - peek out from between my fingers as it happens.

This is going to be an uphill battle all the way.

Finally, it has been commented that Eric is being pushed into being Erika, that there is pressure from her friends to transition full time and stuff. There is some truth to that but ultimately it has been Eric/Erika's decision to go forward and as far as I can tell how she is being portrayed from Camp Kumoni onwards, her natural progression is such that there is no longer any hesitancy as to her feminine identity really. Such changes can be subtle and kinda sneaks up on you. There is no constant questioning of in her own mind as to her motivations ( which were ironed out mostly in Kumoni, IMHO, though Dr Barts will force her to explore it further, of course, unsettling any complacency that might have set in ) such as what Caitlin is going through in Heather O' Malley's Sorority Boy story.

Again, if I am wrong I will have egg on my face - Just hope the egg does not come from an ostrich :).

Kim

Is it truly Eric/a's free choice or is Eric/a addicted.

RAMI

Kimmie, states regarding Eric being pushed to be Erica, "There is some truth to that but ultimately it has been Eric/Erika's decision to go forward and as far as I can tell how she is being portrayed from Camp Kumoni onwards, her natural progression is such that there is no longer any hesitancy as to her feminine identity really. Such changes can be subtle and kinda sneaks up on you. There is no constant questioning of in her own mind as to her motivations . . . ”

That may be true, unless we compare what Eric/a is doing to someone one on drugs/narcotics. The addict is not hesitant to take the drug/narcotic that makes them feel whatever it is they are feeling. The addict may fell free, happy or have the burdens of life lifted from their shoulders. Some addicts are able to conceal their addiction or take a level of drugs that allow them to initially function properly in society. However, as the drug use continues, their ability to function declines. They make poor choices, and may have to resort to crime, to feed their habit.

Is Eric/a addicted to the freedom and contentment that Eric receives from being Erika? Does the pain of the "PLAGUE" disappear? As to poor choices, he and his friends are already making them. To note just a few Eric/a and his friends are: a) doing things behind Eric/a parents’ back, b) they are getting Tricia's sister involved in their conspiracy, without her having a clear understanding of what is going on, c) they are discussing getting Tricia's parents to do the same thing, d) they have broken into the school’s computer, and e) they are forging official documents. There are probably more that I did not mention.

As it appears from the story Eric/a's family is not affluent and Eric/a does not have a large allowance. At what point will Erika have to revert to stealing to obtain clothing, cosmetics and other items to support the Erika identity, when his friends are no longer able or willing to spend their own money to assist in the disguise.

It may be true that Eric is truly Erika as Kimmie advocates very convincingly. But, he has never been given the chance to be Eric without the "Plague" hanging around his neck. Without him being given that opportunity, is he acting without knowing what, he is truly doing? Is he acting of his own free will? Or is he acting as an addict, addicted to his being a girl? A girl who is not the "Plague!”

By the way, is it not great that a story on Big Closet can get so many interesting and truly thoughtful comments. We write as if Eric/a is part of our own family and we truly care for her.

Please keep the stories coming, with enough controversy for the comments to continue.

RAMI

Doctor

The doctor needs to save this disaster.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna